PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Regular Season - Week 17 Colts at Bills (Sunday 1pm ET)

Seamus2602
09-07-2009, 09:24 AM
http://i30.tinypic.com/2mrwb2t.jpg at http://i31.tinypic.com/2yzn4o0.jpg

2009 Regular Season - Week 1: Jacksonville

Line-up is subject to change as injuries become known:-

Indianapolis Colts

QB: Peyton Manning
RB: Joseph Addai
H-B: Gijon Robinson
TE: Dallas Clark
LWR: Reggie Wayne
RWR: Anthony Gonzalez
LT: Charlie Johnson
LG: Ryan Lilja
C: Jeff Saturday
RG: Mike Pollak
RT: Ryan Diem

LE: Keyunta Dawson
UT: Daniel Muir
NT: Antonio Johnson
RE: Dwight Freeney
WLB: Freddie Keiaho
MLB: Gary Brackett
SLB: Tyjuan Hagler
LCB: Kelvin Hayden
RCB: Jerraud Powers
FS: Melvin Bullitt
SS: Jamie Silva

PK: Adam Vinatieri
P: Pat McAfee
H: Pat McAfee
LS: Justin Snow
KR: TJ Rushing
PR: TJ Rushing

Current Injuries:

Tom Santi – TE: Out
Robert Mathis – DE: Questionable
Raheem Brock – DE: Questionable
Ed Johnson – DT: Suspended
Clint Session – LB: Questionable
Antoine Bethea – S: Questionable
Bob Sanders – S: Doubtful
Adam Vinatieri – PK: Probable

Jacksonville Jaguars

QB: David Garrard
RB: Rashad Jennings
FB: Greg Jones
TE: Marcedes Lewis
LWR: Troy Williamson
RWR: Tory Holt
LT: Eugene Monroe
LG: Vince Manuwai
C: Brad Meester
RG: Maurice Williams
RT: Eben Britton

LE: Reggie Heyward
UT: Terrance Knighton
NT: John Henderson
RE: Derrick Harvey
WLB: Clint Ingram
MLB: Justin Durant
SLB: Daryl Smith
LCB: Derek Cox
RCB: Rashean Mathis
FS: Reggie Nelson
SS: Sean Considine

PK: Josh Scobee
P: Adam Podlesh
H: Adam Podlesh
LS: Jeremy Cain
KR: Brian Witherspoon
PR: Brian Witherspoon

Current Injuries:

Maurice Jones-Drew – RB: Questionable
Zach Miller – TE: Probable
Clint Ingram – LB: Probable

Matchup

Key injuries for the Colts on the defensive side of the ball will make this a very, very tough game. We lost to Jacksonville in Lucas Oil last year and the Colts could have similar problems against Jacksonville this year.

Pass Offense:

http://i27.tinypic.com/29vxdop.gif

The key for the Colts is that there currently are no real injuries in the Passing Game (Tom Santi is the only Offensive Player carrying a knock and he probably wouldn’t have featured heavily anyway). Manning has had a full Training Camp, has his starting Offensive Line in front of him, has both starting Receivers, and a number of other options like Collie and Garcon. The Colts need to win a number of individual matchups though, one of which could be very tough. Charlie Johnson needs to allow Peyton Manning to get into his rhythm and he will be coming up against Derrick Harvey, the 8th Pick in 2008 NFL Draft. Harvey started off slowly last year but came more into his game as the year went on and could be a very good pass rushing threat this year. Johnson needs to keep Harvey out of the backfield. The other key matchup is much more favourable. That is Anthony Gonzalez against Derek Cox. Cox is a 3rd Round pick from this year’s draft, but is expected to start against the Colts. Gonzalez needs to step up his game and a matchup against a Rookie good be a brilliant start.

Run Offense:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2q1tdf7.gif

Here’s where the problems started for the Colts last year. They need to run the ball more consistently and keep the Jaguars’ defense on the field for longer, and more importantly, keep the Colts’ defense off the field for longer. Last year, in the corresponding fixture, the Colts had 18:25 minutes of possession, compared to Jacksonville’s 41:35. That is nowhere near good enough. The good part is that the Colts now have 2 1st Round Running Backs, a fully fit Offensive Line, and Peyton Manning. Manning’s knee meant that until basically the BYE week the Colts couldn’t even practice the stretch play. I expect the see the stretch play back to being the mainstay of the Colts’ running game. The Line now has Charlie Johnson at LT, who is a better Run Blocker than Ugoh, Ryan Lilja is now fit, and he’s the team’s best Run Blocker, while Mike Pollak now has another year under his belt and was able to attend Training Camp. All in all, I feel the Line will be better in the Run Game this year. The Jacksonville Run Defense was almost as bad as our Run Defense was last year, and while he wasn’t particularly good, they have lost one of their starting Defensive Tackles for the season. The Colts need to take advantage of this and really start running the ball better.

Pass Defense:

http://i28.tinypic.com/15hy7ns.gif

Panic time. The Colts’ have one of the best pass defences in the NFL. The problem is that our second best Pass Rusher is injured, our best interior Pass Rusher is suspended, our second best interior Pass Rusher is injured, our playmaking Weakside Linebacker is injured, one of our starting Cornerbacks is returning from an ACL tear, our starting Free Safety is injured and our starting Strong Safety is injured. Not the role call you want to hear in your first game back. Now, with the exceptions of Bob Sanders and Ed Johnson, all those players can and probably will play. The problem is though, even if those players do play, are they going to be firing on all cylinders? The key matchup is LE against RT. If Robert Mathis is playing he will have Eben Britton looking for his mommy. The problem is that I feel Britton will be able to handle Keyunta Dawson pretty well. We need performances out of Bullitt, and we need Bethea to be able to play because I question Silva’s contribution outside of Special Teams.

Run Defense:

http://i29.tinypic.com/2n7e49u.gif

Really, panic time. We started with Keyunta Dawson and Eric Foster last year. It didn’t end well. We are missing three starting members of our front 7, while the Jaguars Offensive Line could really be back with a vengeance. Add this to the loss of Bob Sanders and we will really struggle to stop the run. The Colts really need Jones-Drew to be either out of the game, or playing under his usual level. I don’t know how much of a threat Jennings would be if Jones-Drew is out or misfiring. We need Mookie to have a key game and Dawson to show that while he wasn’t a good Defensive Tackle that he can defend pretty well at end.

Special Teams:

http://i30.tinypic.com/9vei6x.gif

We need our coverage teams to be playing very well. We can’t allow the Jaguars to start every single drive on the 30 or 40 yard line, nor can we afford to start all of ours on 10 yard line. Witherspoon is a very good returner, who has unbelievable straight line speed, so they really need to get him stopped before he gets going. Rushing showed glimpse in Preseason of being back to his best at returning the ball and McAfee really impressed me but we really need Nougatieri to be there and playing well. I could see this game being a close one and could be won or lost on a field goal.

Prediction: Jaguars – 20 vs Colts - 24

Geo
09-07-2009, 06:33 PM
I definitely like the Colts in this game. Sure they will be without their best DT in Ed Johnson and their best safety in Bob Sanders, but the defense gets a boost playing at home. And the offense will lead the way to victory.

The Colts offense is experienced and ready to roll, they will find success on both ground and air against a retooling Jacksonville defense imo. The Colts can still do things against the Jax pass defense.

The Jaguars offensive line doesn't have its chemistry yet, the receivers don't have their chemistry with Garrard yet. This is why I love the Colts playing the Jaguars right out of the gate.

Plus Maurice Jones-Drew is currently dealing with some shin injury, although I expect him to play - but, like I've thought all offseason, I don't expect him to last as a real workhorse RB (say 350 touches) that some fantasy football people think he'll be.

Normally I don't hazard to guess a score, but just as a differing example to Seamus, I think something along the lines of 34-20 in favor of the Colts.

Seamus2602
09-07-2009, 06:41 PM
I just worry about the D-Line. We really need both Mathis and Brock to play. If neither plays then here's our D-Lines.

Run Downs:

LE: Dawson
UT: Muir
NT: Mookie
RE: Freeney

Pass Downs:

LE: ??? Do we play either Glenn or Wheeler with their hand in the dirt?
UT: Foster
NT: Dawson
RE: Freeney

If Tra Thomas and Vince Manuwai can successfully double team Freeney, and you have to imagine that they will, and I'd imagine the other three Jags O-Line men could keep our other three rushers out, sans Brock and Mathis, then I don't see any pass rush. Even Garrard, with rusty Receivers, will do well if we can't get to him quickly.

Geo
09-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Rotoworld says rookie Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton have won the left and right tackle spots, respectively, for the Jags.

Two rookies against Freeney and Mathis, in the Oil Drum.

I just jizzed in my pants.

The only thing is that, for the love of good football, pay all attention to Maurice Jones-Drew on third downs. Doesn't matter what distance.

Seamus2602
09-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Even still, if we have those injuries, I would wory even if it is Freeney against Monroe and Manuwai. The key thing is Mathis. If Mathis is fit then he will destroy Ebon Britton, an Offensive Tackle who was told he wouldn't cut it as a Left Tackle because he can't keep out elite speed rushers. If Mathis is fit then they will struggle to double block him with Britton and Lewis, which will give an easier matchup inside. They need internal pass rush to keep Manuwai away from Freeney.

chad72
09-08-2009, 10:45 AM
I have more confidence in the Colts offense to force the Jags to play catch up to make Freeney and Mathis more effective.

I think that is what is going to happen and the only 2 positions of confidence for me on defense in this game would be DE (if Mathis plays) and CB (our depth is solid there). If we can force the Jags to play catch up, this game is OVER in our favor.:) I think that is what will happen.

Geo
09-08-2009, 11:09 AM
I hate that the Patriots were able to get a 1st rounder from the Raiders for Richard Seymour. They just keep on swindling that senile fool Al Davis.

The positive is that hopefully the Colts will take advatage of their short-term loss (before a long-term gain) just like in 2006 when, before the season, the Pats traded Deion Branch to Seattle for a 1st round pick. That helped the Colts get a higher seeding for the playoffs and the AFCCG victory. The Colts had difficulty running to Seymour's side, as I recall, so now they will hope run better and block better to that side which bodes well for them.

And also, seeing as how Randy Moss has been relatively healthy the last two years, I think there is a chance that he might have to deal with injury this season. Just the way things work, it tends to be cyclical.

I think the cycle for the Colts is strongest these next two years, just like it was in 2005 and 2006.

Which could be prolonged further with some really good drafts and acquisitions. Ex. picking up undrafted free agent Ed Johnson in 2007.

chad72
09-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I hate that the Patriots were able to get a 1st rounder from the Raiders for Richard Seymour. They just keep on swindling that senile fool Al Davis.

The positive is that hopefully the Colts will take advatage of their short-term loss (before a long-term gain) just like in 2006 when, before the season, the Pats traded Deion Branch to Seattle for a 1st round pick. That helped the Colts get a higher seeding for the playoffs and the AFCCG victory. The Colts had difficulty running to Seymour's side, as I recall, so now they will hope run better and block better to that side which bodes well for them.

And also, seeing as how Randy Moss has been relatively healthy the last two years, I think there is a chance that he might have to deal with injury this season. Just the way things work, it tends to be cyclical.

I think the cycle for the Colts is strongest these next two years, just like it was in 2005 and 2006.

Which could be prolonged further with some really good drafts and acquisitions. Ex. picking up undrafted free agent Ed Johnson in 2007.

Merriman, I heard is still not 100% in explosiveness, plus has the off-the-field issues to worry about. So, the Chargers, with their tough schedule, can almost be guaranteed to finish #4 in the AFC again winning a lousy division and hosting a 10 or 11 win team in the wild card (could be Ravens or Titans, IMO since we will win our division:) ). This may be a year where the Chargers could also lose the wild card round at home. Then, the Pats can be had on their defensive side with so many questions lingering on D for them. The Steelers are the most solid threat to the Colts this year.

This is a good year for us to get a #1 or #2 seed. Given the luck the #1 seeds have had in the AFC recently (except when it is the Pats who have gone to the SB every time they were #1):( , I'd rather have the Steelers take the #1 and us at #2 (rather go to Heinz field than to Foxboro).

killxswitch
09-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Seamus I am with you on your concern for the defense. Preseason was pretty much shot as far as getting practice with the starters in the new defensive scheme. Too many injuries to starters and key players. I am frustrated because a: if everyone was healthy and stayed that way I think it could've been something special, and b: with so many injuries the defense might just be flat out bad.

That said, I think the Colts will win by a TD or more.

Geo
09-08-2009, 01:20 PM
The Jags are going to spend so much of their focus on Reggie Wayne, because he slays them. Reggie is a Jaguar killer.

Btw, I don't know if you guys heard, but the Colts are easing Marlin Jackson back into playing so he's going to be the nickelback. Either Tim Jennings or Jerraud Powers will start opposite Kelvin Hayden, who feels good about coming back in time. Sounds good to me, all around.

Seamus2602
09-08-2009, 03:55 PM

This is, in my opinion, a good deal for both teams. The Patriots get what could be, without going beyond the realms of possibility, the 2011 1st Overall Pick. It could, also in theory, be the 32nd pick (less likely). Either way, anywhere from an awesome pick to a good one for the Patriots, in return for giving up a year's production from Richard Seymour. Seymour wouldn't have been resigned next summer.

The Raiders give up a pick that they had an 80% of wasting anyway and get a potential Hall of Famer, with some juice left in the aul motor. If they can sign Seymour to a long term deal then this is also a very good pick for the Raiders.

The key thing for the Colts is that we finish with the highest record. Remember, last year, with a **** Offensive Line, no running game, and for half the season an injured Peyton Manning, now run defense or Bob Sanders for most of the Season, we still finished 12-4, 1 game away from being the best team in the AFC. If we had beat the Titans in Tennessee then we would have had Home Field advantage for the entire playoffs. The key thing is to get that, so that if we get to the Divisional and Championship games, we are playing them on our own turf instead of the rather chilly Heinz Stadium or Foxbrough.

"I am frustrated because a: if everyone was healthy and stayed that way I think it could've been something special, and b: with so many injuries the defense might just be flat out bad.

I'm just hoping that we get all the injuries out of our game here and now and retain relatively good health for the rest of the season. I'm not terribly worried about the Secondary. We have some of the best depth in the league at Secondary. Similar at Linebacker and Defensive Tackle. I just worry about our entire Defense if either Freeney or Mathis are out.

Seamus2602
09-09-2009, 05:21 AM
I don't know if you guys heard, but the Colts are easing Marlin Jackson back into playing so he's going to be the nickelback. Either Tim Jennings or Jerraud Powers will start opposite Kelvin Hayden, who feels good about coming back in time. Sounds good to me, all around.

Heard now that it seems Jerraud Powers is getting the edge and will start against Jacksonville.

Geo
09-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Powers was such a find by the Colts, spectacular job by the scouting department. He's not only going to break the 3rd round curse, he's going to start for the Colts opposite Hayden for years to come.

Omg Bill Polian talks with Brian Burke, President and General Manager of the Toronto Maple Leafs! My two favorite Pres/GMs for my two favorite teams! Wonderful!

(I heard this on Leafs Lunch today.)

Geo
09-12-2009, 09:56 AM
JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS at INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS

Status Report

OUT TE Zach Miller (knee)
PROBABLE DT Derek Landri (knee), T Tra Thomas (back)

Practice Report

DID NOT PARTICIPATE IN PRACTICE
Wednesday TE Zach Miller (knee), T Tra Thomas (back)
Thursday TE Zach Miller (knee)
Friday TE Zach Miller (knee)

LIMITED PARTICIPATION IN PRACTICE
Thursday DT Derek Landri (knee)
Friday DT Derek Landri (knee), T Tra Thomas (back)

FULL PARTICIPATION IN PRACTICE
Thursday T Tra Thomas (back)

INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Status Report

OUT S Bob Sanders (knee), TE Tom Santi (ankle), CB Jamie Silva (abdomen)
QUESTIONABLE DT Fili Moala (knee)

Practice Report

DID NOT PARTICIPATE IN PRACTICE
Wednesday S Bob Sanders (knee), TE Tom Santi (ankle), CB Jamie Silva (abdomen)
Thursday CB Tim Jennings (not injury related), DT Fili Moala (knee), S Bob Sanders (knee), TE Tom Santi (ankle), CB Jamie Silva (abdomen)
Friday CB Marlin Jackson (not injury related), DT Fili Moala (knee), S Bob Sanders (knee), TE Tom Santi (ankle), CB Jamie Silva (abdomen)

FULL PARTICIPATION IN PRACTICE
Friday CB Tim Jennings (not injury related)

Geo
09-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Wow, Marshall Faulk is picking the Jags to win.

Geo
09-13-2009, 11:24 AM
Per Rotoworld:

Colts declared S Bob Sanders, S Jamie Silva, TE Tom Santi, DT Fili Moala, OL Dan Federkeil, OL Kyle DeVan, LB Cody Glenn and third QB Curtis Painter inactive for Week 1 against the Jaguars.

No surprises there.

MaxV
09-13-2009, 12:11 PM
Oh COME ON!

RUN IT IN!

What a stupid way to end a GREAT drive.

MaxV
09-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Wow, just wow.

We are being extremely stupid right now.

703SKINS202
09-13-2009, 01:35 PM
What happened to Gonzalez any updates?

The Unseen
09-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Well ****. Good game guys. I think the division is yours still.

Geo
09-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm not going to write a book, but here are some thoughts:

The Colts offense looked somewhat shaky in the first game of the season, as usual. This has been going on every year since 03. Remember the Manning Bowl in 06? Peyton threw some real bonehead passes in that game too, which the Giants dropped like Considine today did.

The stretch play is dead. Dead, done with, over. The sooner the Colts realize that, the better. But it's okay because they can run between tackle-guard (B gap) and guard-center (A gap). They just have to actually do that, which I hope they will. Also they should run more on the left side and the middle than the right side, I think, as Diem is not a great run-blocker and Pollak has the potential to pull very well.

Stupid stretch play attempts hurt the running game average and the Colts offense. When they did run B gap or A gap like they should, they ran okay to well. Brown is better than Addai though, and if Addai was hurt like booth commentator Solomon Wilcots thinks (but I don't believe it myself), Addai completely played through it and even waived Brown off the field at times. Having Brown is a double bonus, because he's great and he's going to push Addai.

I like Eric Foster period. But I also like Eric Foster the fullback.

Just like the last two years, I continue to beg Peyton to throw to his RBs. Please Peyton, throw them the ball all day, it's for the taking. 55 receptions for Addai and 45 receptions for Brown, at least, for my tastes. Pass the runningbacks the ball, they can gain twice what they can rush for and it moves the chains. Please Peyton.

Reggie Wayne told Michael Irvin that his nickname for this season is the Undertaker. Because he's going to slay fools this year. So true.

Gonzalez's injury was terrifying, but Jason La Canfora of NFL Network is saying it's a knee sprain that will keep him out for 2-6 weeks. That's not great news obviously but it's not the worst news, so I hope that is all it is and he can come back healthy this year.

Charlie Johnson played well today? I didn't notice any blunders at all, so I would think so. Stick with Charlie, Ugoh doesn't have the head for it.

Defense had some sketchy moments, but they played very well overall. They won this game for the most part, really. The defense looked improved already from last year.

Gary Brackett was huge on the last two Jags plays with his pass rushing on Garrard. Way to go, Brackett.

I love Jerraud Powers. What a gem, what a find. It's like the Colts had two 1st round picks this year with him and Donald Brown.

Existing studs in Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, and Kelvin Hayden: well done today.

Special teams was great. I don't blame Vinatieri for the wide left miss because the Colts should never have attempted the 52-yd FG imo, that was a stupid decision by Caldwell (he had a few himself today) to go for it.

Caldwell made some stupid decisions, hopefully he learns from them like a good rookie NFL head coach. Caldwell did learn from that FG error and had the Colts punt the next time, which had them pin the Jags on the 1/2-yards line. Awesome! I can never remember that happening under loser Purnell.

Most important thing: Colts win! And they have the early lead on the AFC South division, like I thought they would coming out of this game.

The Unseen
09-13-2009, 05:03 PM
I can never remember that happening under loser Purnell.

guess who Purnell coaches for now :(

Geo
09-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Oh I knew. He did previously coach the Baltimore Ravens ST including when they won the SB in 2000, so maybe he works out for you guys. But he was awful year after year in Indianapolis, yet Dungy wouldn't fire him or Ron Meeks.

Dungy was such a hypocrite. How can players lose jobs when they don't perform or be replaced with better players, but coaches can't be fired and replaced? Thankfully he retired.

Splat
09-13-2009, 06:29 PM
With Gonzo being out the next few weeks who do you guys see starting?

Geo
09-13-2009, 06:40 PM
I think we'll see a combination of three things:

1. Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark probably getting more targets, because Peyton trusts them the most.

2. (Hopefully) A few more passes to the RBs, because Addai and Brown can do well in that area even if the running game is meager. Which it probably will be the next two weeks, playing at Miami and at Arizona, both in primetime.

3. Both rookie slot receiver Austin Collie and second-year outside receiver Pierre Garcon will share the load of making up for Gonzo's absence.

I wish I could say it was just one guy, because I have the #1 waiver wire priority in two of my FF leagues and it would be great to get Gonzalez production from a guy in his place, but I can't point to one guy to do that. Maybe it happens, we'll see.

If I was pressed to make a guess, because the Colts will line up with at least two receivers on almost every play, I guess Pierre Garcon would be the guy to target. He plays outside and he has speed that the Colts like.

Splat
09-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the help my FF team really took a hit with players going down I'm in a real jam at WR. :(

Geo
09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Pick up Garcon, hopefully he does an awesome job helping the Colts win and helping your team win.

Any chance Devery Henderson is available in your league?

Splat
09-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Pick up Garcon, hopefully he does an awesome job helping the Colts win and helping your team win.

No DH is gone but I did pick up his teammate Lance Moore I all most took Lee Evans over Gonzo but I didn't like the Bills OL or QB so took a shot on Gonzo I fail.

Geo
09-13-2009, 08:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=290913011

Sources confirmed an NFL.com report to ESPN's Adam Schefter that Gonzalez had a strained ligament in his knee and will likely miss at least a few weeks.

RCAChainGang
09-13-2009, 09:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=290913011

God no...

At least its not THAT bad. Comon Garçon!!!

Geo
09-14-2009, 08:57 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/09/13/week1/1.html

Bill Polian told me after the game that the Colts, even if Anthony Gonzalez's knee injury is more than a one-month deal, wouldn't consider bringing Marvin Harrison out of retirement.
I know there are some Colts fans who feel otherwise and love Harrison, so I won't get into it here, but I'll just that for myself I am very, very pleased hearing this. Hopefully it's true, I think this is definitely the right course of action.

Tony Dungy said something interesting on our NBC set: That Polian's comment says to him that Peyton Manning is comfortable with rookie Austin Collie in the slot and Pierre Garcon as the outside bookend for Reggie Wayne.
That's absolutely part of it. These two young guys are talented, quick, hungry, willing to mix it up physically and block. They bring a lot to the team. Plus having Harrison back not only stunts their promising development but in my opinion he hurts everyone's production/numbers. Everyone on the offense, everyone on the team, is worse off if Harrison is back with the Colts.

Seamus2602
09-14-2009, 10:35 AM
The major problem was the Peyton Manning developed an over reliance on Marvin Harrison. Looking to Marvin first on every play might have worked a couple of years ago but Peyton was treating Marvin almost like he was still playing at his 2004 level. Marvin Harrison still has skills but he isn't his old self and so they need to get rid of Peyton's safety net before it became really unsafe to use it.

killxswitch
09-14-2009, 11:38 AM
I agree, we should stick with our current WRs. Bring up a PS player if need be while Gonzo is out.

I know I shouldn't say this after one missed 52 yard FG, but I think AV is done. I hope I'm wrong.

Offense looked ugly yesterday. Wayne was good but dropped a pass that would've put him close to 200 yards receiving. It was a tough catch but that is what superstar #1 WRs do. Dallas wasn't very well-used. The running game looked better than the numbers said, the play calling was just crap. It seemed like Addai or Brown would get into a groove running between the tackles, and they'd start trying to run the stretch, or would just go back to passing. Then they'd try running again at stupid times. And for as many times as they tried the stretch, they only ran what, one play action pass?

Defense looked pretty good. I'm tired of seeing our guys bounce off of MJD but he is hard to tackle for anybody. They need to work on stopping those cutback and delayed handoff runs, they're still over-committing on those and it hurts. Hayden and Powers looked great in coverage, Hagler looked like he deserved to start, Brackett blitzed successfully (twice!), Mathis and Freeney were in Garrard's face a lot, and big Mook Johnson was throwing his weight around at times. When Ed Johnson gets back the two of them are gonna really do some work.

I didn't notice much from Session or either of the safeties.

Seamus2602
09-14-2009, 01:03 PM
I agree, we should stick with our current WRs. Bring up a PS player if need be while Gonzo is out.

The problem is just finding room in the 53 man Roster. To bring in the likes of Taj Smith they would need to cut someone.

I know I shouldn't say this after one missed 52 yard FG, but I think AV is done. I hope I'm wrong.

It was his first kick and it was a 50 plus yarder. Vinatieri was never brilliant from the long range kicks. If a kicker makes a 52 yard kick then he has made a good kick. Get it slightly wrong and you will miss. Wait until he starts missing the 40 and 30 yard kicks before we call for the axe.

Offense looked ugly yesterday. Wayne was good but dropped a pass that would've put him close to 200 yards receiving. It was a tough catch but that is what superstar #1 WRs do. Dallas wasn't very well-used. The running game looked better than the numbers said, the play calling was just crap. It seemed like Addai or Brown would get into a groove running between the tackles, and they'd start trying to run the stretch, or would just go back to passing. Then they'd try running again at stupid times. And for as many times as they tried the stretch, they only ran what, one play action pass?

Reggie had what like 10 catches. If he does that every game I'm not gonna criticise him for the odd drop. The Offense should some stuttering but they lost a major player inside the 1st Quarter. You lose your #2 WR and you will struggle as he would be involved on every play. Not having Gonzo there meant they had to run different plays with different people. I didn't feel Manning was too confident in Garcon all night and it could take a game or 2 for that confidence to build up.

The PA pass only works well if the Defense is geared for the Run. The stretch play didn't work at all last night and as such the they couldn't really do Play Action.

I didn't notice much from Session or either of the safeties.

That's probably a good thing. Jones-Drew ran mostly in the A gap or outside the tackle to the strongside. Neither are gonna draw a helluva lot of attention from the WILL backer. I thought Bullitt was involved pretty well in the run defense and the Jags never really passed the ball deep so on passing downs you wouldn't really hear about the Safeties. It's why Jerraud Powers and Kelvin Hayden made lots of plays last night.

Geo
09-14-2009, 01:17 PM
The problem is just finding room in the 53 man Roster. To bring in the likes of Taj Smith they would need to cut someone.
Actually I think that's fairly easy: cut Tom Santi and sign him to the Practice Squad. The guy isn't healthy and won't be 100% (relatively speaking) very soon, judging from what Polian said around final cuts time.

It was his first kick and it was a 50 plus yarder. Vinatieri was never brilliant from the long range kicks. If a kicker makes a 52 yard kick then he has made a good kick. Get it slightly wrong and you will miss. Wait until he starts missing the 40 and 30 yard kicks before we call for the axe.
I heard Vinny had the distance? I didn't pay particular attention, but if so that's good news. But yeah, you don't send a kicker who's not quite 100 percent out for a 52-yard FG. Especially when the scoreboard only says 14-6, it's not like the Colts had such a lead that they could afford to throw caution to the wind.

Btw, additional note:

Yesterday had the best home crowd in the Oil Drum yet, I thought. Great home crowd yesterday, it was close to the RCA Dome days. Well done, Colts fans.

Geo
09-14-2009, 08:53 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090914/SPORTS03/90914060/Gonzalez+s+injury+not+season-ending

Gonzalez's injury not season-ending
By Mike Chappell

The injury to his right knee that Anthony Gonzalez sustained in Sunday's win over Jacksonville will not knock the Indianapolis Colts veteran wide receiver out for the season.

Team president Bill Polian said on his evening radio show that "there is some sprained ligaments and we know that it isn't year-ending.

"The fact that it's not season-ending is a good thing."

Polian said further details regarding Gonzalez's status wouldn't be available until after he met with the team's medical staff later tonight.

A source close to Gonzalez said that Gonzalez could miss up to six weeks with the injury. Polian didn't offer a timetable for Gonzalez's return, but said the team likely would sign a veteran to help fill Gonzalez's void if Gonzalez would miss more than four weeks.

"We could add a veteran receiver," Polian said. "We'll talk about that tonight or tomorrow."

That veteran won't be Marvin Harrison. The 36-year old was released by the Colts in February and remains a free agent.

"It really is counterproductive to try to bring a player in who has not had any training camp, not had any offseason," Polian said. "That's especially true of someone at Marvin's age.

"It's very, very difficult to do and you're probably inviting injury upon injury."

Seamus2602
09-18-2009, 09:32 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/2yzn4o0.jpgathttp://i30.tinypic.com/2urmtme.jpg

2009 Regular Season - Week 2: Miami

Indianapolis Colts

RWR: Pierre Garçon

LE: Raheem Brock
UT: Ed Johnson
WLB: Clint Session
LCB: Kelvin Hayden
RCB: Marlin Jackson
FS: Antoine Bethea
SS: Melvin Bullitt

KR: Chad Simpson

Current Injuries:

Anthony Gonzalez - WR: Out
Tom Santi – TE: Out
Charlie Johnson - OT: Probable
Jamey Richard - OG: Probable
Jamie Silva – S: Questionable
Bob Sanders – S: Doubtful

Miami Dolphins

QB: Chad Pennington
RB: Ronnie Brown
FB: Lousaka Polite
TE: Anthony Fasano
LWR: Ted Ginn
RWR: Greg Camarillo
LT: Jake Long
LG: Justin Smiley
C: Jake Grove
RG: Donald Thomas
RT: Vernon Carey

LE: Kendall Langford
RE: Randy Starks
NT: Jason Ferguson
JLB: Joey Porter
WLB: Channing Crowder
MLB: Akin Ayodele
SLB: Jason Taylor
LCB: Will Allen
RCB: Sean Smith
FS: Gibril Wilson
SS: Yeremiah Bell

PK: Dan Carpenter
P: Brandon Fields
H: Brandon Fields
LS: John Denney
KR: Ted Ginn
PR: Davone Bess

Current Injuries:

Akin Ayodele - LB: Probable

Matchup

The Colts injury worries aren't as pronounced as they were last week against the Jaguars, and they now have Ed Johnson back in the Defensive Tackle rotation. The Colts need to keep the Wildcat under control and the Offense needs to kick it up a gear.

Pass Offense:

http://i26.tinypic.com/25sssq8.gif

The loss of Anthony Gonzalez will put huge pressure on the Passing attack. Manning hasn't always been sure of himself against the 3-4 Defense (historically struggled against the likes of San Diego and New England) so he needs to get those jitters out of his system in this game before he faces the better defences. Big games are needed from the Offensive Line as the interior line is undersized and coming up against a large Defensive front while an unpredictable blitz package could give the Tackles a lot of trouble. You could see the team keeping the likes of Addai and/or the H-Back in on passing situations. Manning needs to be ready to throw the ball a lot to the likes of the Running Backs, H-Back and the other Receivers as there is a good chance that the Dolphins will blanket Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark. The key thing could be trying to create a mismatch by having Clark and Wayne playing beside each other. They can't put the Safety on both players and if Reggie gets 1on1 with the Corner he will win while Clark will win if he is put up against the likes of Jason Taylor, or the Nickel Back. The Dolphins did poorly against Tony Gonzalez so so you could see Dallas Clark doing quite well.

Run Offense:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2lc0coh.gif

The 2 Gap Defensive Line of the Dolphins will make the Colts struggle to run the ball. The 3-4 Defense is, for all intense and purposes, a 5-2. It means running to the outside (we were terrible running to the right hand side last week) will be difficult but also running up the gut could be very difficult as well with our undersized line having a lot of trouble moving the big Nose Tackle and the 5 Techniques. The Offensive Line will need to be at their best to be able to even have a modest Running Game. That being said the Dolphins Front 7 lacks athleticism and if the Colts (even only on one or two plays) can break through the line you could see a big, big gain.

Pass Defense:

http://i32.tinypic.com/axff37.gif

The key problem the Colts will have in defending the pass is that they will be geared towards the Run all day. The Dolphins don't have big threats at Receiver nor a Quarterback who can throw the ball deep. With this you could see the team bringing Brackett out of coverage more often and also bringing Melvin Bullitt into the box more often, to shore up against the Run. This opens up the possibility of a big play. The team need to get the Dolphins into obvious passing situations. The entire Dolphins offense is based on the Run. Their Offensive Line (why very good at Run Blocking) aren't overly brilliant against the Pass Rush. They need the Dolphins to pass and then have Freeney and Mathis go crazy and have put Pennington under real pressure. The Falcons got real pressure on him last week and, while he had a good completion rate, he also had to rely on getting the ball out quicker and the Colts quick Defense could then have a very good day.

Run Defense:

http://i29.tinypic.com/25po2rq.gif

The Dolphins are, completely and utterly, a Run first team. The key thing to stopping them is stopping the Run. Their Offensive Line is designed to run the ball and so the Colts Defensive Line needs to have a big day. Mookie had a good day against Jacksonville and we have Ed Johnson back. Those two need to have big days against the Dolphins. The team need to be disciplined about the Wildcat (on one play against Jacksonville they completely dominated the Jaguars on it) and they need to make the Dolphins go away from it early. The Dolphins get a lot of good runs to the outside so the team need the Cornerbacks to do well against the Run as well (Jerraud Powers was very good in this regard last week, in my opinion).

Special Teams:

http://i29.tinypic.com/2dcg0hl.gif

If the team don't run the ball well but the Dolphins do run the ball well, it could turn into a bit of a Field Position game. Pat McAfee showed a lot of promise last week and he and the coverage team needs to continue in this form. Chad Simpson needs to show more this week. He threatened one good return against the Jaguars and needs to do more against the Dolphins. Similar to the Jaguars, the Dolphins have very good Returners and so the coverage teams need be really on their game. Vinatieri never really had an opportunity to show that he has healed properly but this could, like last week, be a low scoring game and so the team need him to take the opportunities presented.

Prediction Colts - 21 vs Dolphins - 13

Geo
09-18-2009, 12:08 PM
First off, Parcells builds his teams big, tall, and strong. Built to stop the run.

And I expect that a Parcells defense will stop the Colts' running game, especially with the current offensive line. That makes the Colts offense one-dimensional.

We saw all of this in 2006, when the Colts played the Parcells' Cowboys in Dallas. Parcells used his knowledge of Peyton and the Colts, from the AFC East days. The Cowboys ended up winning the game 21-14 and ended the Colts' undefeated streak, a game in which the Colts didn't play well at all and make major mistakes.

Video (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d800f5a2b/Cowboys-21-Colts-14)

Pretty sure Parcells had the defensive backs play pretty physical. That turned into a major bonus for that game thanks to Marvin Harrison, which isn't a problem now thankfully. But I'm not sure Dallas Clark is that effective when he's really played physical. We'll see, especially as now the Colts will likely try to use him all over the field and attack the defense. Clark needs to play well in this game for the Colts to win.

Even though I expect that cornerback to have safety help with him at all times, I still think it will be interesting to see which corner Miami puts on Wayne: veteran Will Allen or one of the two rookies they rotate. Allen plays LCB, which would have him defend against Garcon. Roddy White would have scored a 49-TD on rookie Sean Smith last weekend if Matt Ryan threw the ball accurately on that play. Plus the Colts can/will line Reggie Wayne anywhere on the field.

Thankfully the Colts get their best DT ED Johnson back on the field, not to mention all the other talented DTs on the roster (especially versus that 06 game). Polian is gushing about Antonio Johnson for the Jags game, hopefully Mookie plays at a similar level against the Dolphins. And Jake Long has struggled with speedy pass rushers all preseason and against the Falcons - he was over powered badly too at times that game, Freeney should use his bull rush too.

This is a tough game. Even though I don't buy Miami as a legit contender in any way, the Dolphins are well-built at every area except WR. Their safeties are Yeremiah Bell and Gibril Wilson, maybe there's something for the Colts to attack there. Look at how the Dolphins defense played the Falcons (again though Ryan had some inaccurate passes that would have led to more points, plus Elam missed one or two FGs).

Hopefully the Colts use a lot of short passing to the RBs to allow Peyton efficient passes and to move the chains. Make OLBs Jason Taylor and Joey Porter chase the RBs around the field, see if their old legs will hold up to pass rushing, and also see how well their 3-4 ILBs playing in coverage. I hope Moore and Peyton pass the ball to the RBs a lot, as usual.

I think the Colts will win this game, but it's probably close. A FG difference.

chad72
09-18-2009, 12:12 PM
http://indyfootballreport.com/index.php/archives/3626#more-3626

I have always been wanting this, I can see AV's legs tired towards the end of the season, it would probably be wise to save his legs for the FGs. I can see AV being let go at the end of this season or his contract re-structured because he costs too much for someone who makes maybe 70% of his kicks and his kickoffs rarely get past the 10 yard line.

I can see a kicker like Aaron Pettrey from Ohio State or someone like that drafted in round 7.

Geo
09-18-2009, 12:20 PM
I'm not worried about Vinatieri's legs this season.

But will the Colts draft a kicker after this season and move on? Probably.

Then again if Vinatieri proves to be a major factor in the Colts reaching and winning Super Bowl XLIV, they could stick with him for another year.

I'm not sure how well McAfee is on kickoffs, hopefully he does well. And that he doesn't get worn out, although come on, it's not like he's got so much work to do. ;)

killxswitch
09-18-2009, 12:21 PM
AV kicking FGs only should really save some wear and tear on his leg. He could be around for a long time, isn't Morton Anderson like 70 years old by now?

chad72
09-19-2009, 01:05 PM

I have a dilemma for a FLEX position where I can play an RB/WR/TE.

I have Anquan Boldin (@Jags), Devery Henderson (@Phi), John Carlson (@SF), Joseph Addai (@Mia), and Carnell Williams (@Buf) to choose from.

Who do you think I should play? If Boldin was healthy, I would have played him normally but with his health issues, I am leaning towards either John Carlson or Carnell Williams (Henderson and Addai have tough matchups). Any thoughts?

Geo
09-19-2009, 01:07 PM
I agree with your thoughts, I'd probably go Carlson.

But I'm eager to see how Addai does against the Dolphins.

chad72
09-19-2009, 01:16 PM
But I'm eager to see how Addai does against the Dolphins.

If Addai scores a TD against that Dolphins run D, something that Michael Turner could not, I will play Addai for my flex every single week (except the bye week and maybe the Ravens week:)).

I have a feeling Donald Brown may take off in this game, just a hunch. I still think the Colts' best chances of running is between the guard and the tackle on the right side where our bigger linemen are (Pollak has shown a lot of improvement to me plus Ryan Diem is rock solid there). To make it better, send Eric Foster in that gap as a FB as well, that probably guarantees a must have 1 or 2 yards most of the time.

That is why I did not understand why we tried running outside the tackles on obvious running downs at the end of the game because our TEs are not the greatest run blockers when it is an obvious run down.

Call it a blessing in disguise, I think the addition of Baskett with the presence of additional dependence on Garcon will actually improve our run blocking on the WR front.

Geo
09-19-2009, 01:27 PM
The Jags are much more used to playing against the Colts than the Dolphins are, that's probably why the Jags have played the Colts' run well the last few games, keeping them to a low average.

Maybe we see that dynamic on the field Monday.

killxswitch
09-21-2009, 08:34 AM
Guys, the Colts have a great opportunity tonight.

The Pats, Steelers, Chargers, Titans, and Jags all lost yesterday. The only unbeaten teams right now are the Jets (who look pretty good), the Ravens (who have an offense now but their defense isn't what it was), and the lucky Broncos. Now is the time to really step on the gas and get out to an early lead in the AFC.

Geo
09-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Let's hope so.

I'm wondering if we'll see the Colts really push the issue with the no-huddle tonight, to get that Dolphins' 3-4 defense winded. Possible with Collie and Garcon?

killxswitch
09-21-2009, 09:33 AM
Let's hope so.

I'm wondering if we'll see the Colts really push the issue with the no-huddle tonight, to get that Dolphins' 3-4 defense winded. Possible with Collie and Garcon?

I assume they will simplify the offense some, with Baskett still learning and Collie and Garcon having increased roles. I don't know if that means more or less huddles.

chad72
09-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Geo is right, Peyton using the RBs and TEs underneath will gas their aging defense. Last year, the reason the Dolphins were good was because Pennington could move the chains with dinks and dunks thus allowing the aging D's legs to be fresh. We need to do the same to tire their legs.

Seamus2602
09-21-2009, 12:36 PM
What I didn't like

The stretch play. It's not that I have a problem with the play itself, just the guys up front trying to block for it. I think Ryan Lilja might be a little rusty on it, but what is the excuse for Diem and Pollak? Running to the right side was an automatic loss of yards. The Jaguars front 7 is not that good. Donald Brown and Joseph Addai are good running backs who should be able to run all over this defense. There needs to be some changes on the offensive line, starting with the right side of it.

The right side of the line is a mess. Mike Pollak is looking more and more like a bust. The stretch play to the right side is a death sentence. Any run to the right side is a death sentence. Almost every decent run was to the left side. Right tackle and right guard are the two biggest concerns on the team. There was no run blocking on the right side. Peyton got clobbered by a Jaguar coming from the right side of the line. I'm worried about the O-line.

Let's set the record straight. I agree with the first couple of words. I didn't like the stretch play either. I completely disagree though with Colts Homer's analysis of this. The stretch play did not break down because of Mike Pollak or Ryan Diem. It broke down because of three players. Those three players are Pierre Garcon, Dallas Clark and Jeff Saturday. I drew some nice little diagrams to show why (I have way too much time on my hands!).

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zeuyax.gif

When run correctly, the Stretch Play has the Defensive Linemen taken by the Right Guard and the Right Tackle. The Receiver blocks his Cornerback and the Tight End and the Center are to take on the Linebackers, leaving the Running Back one on one with the Safety. The problem the Colts had was Jeff Saturday wasn't getting out fast enough, while Garcon was constantly letting Mathis free, and we all know that Dallas Clark isn't the greatest Run Blocker either. The Colts had problems running the Stretch Play, but it wasn't Mike Pollak or Ryan Diem's fault.

TitansCJftw
09-21-2009, 07:51 PM
come on peyton couple more of those 80yard tds i need 50 freaking fantasy points from you to win! haha

MaxV
09-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Ok, that was about as ugly defensive effort as I've seen.

And I've seen PLENTY of ugly defensive efforts as a Colts fan.

MaxV
09-21-2009, 09:22 PM
STOP WITH THE Soft-Zone COVERAGE!!!!

Pennington can't throw it past 10 yards.

MaxV
09-21-2009, 09:57 PM
COME ON D! Step up here!

7-11
09-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I honestly don't know what to think right now.

MaxV
09-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Well, we are certainly lucky to be 2-0.

But there is room for improvement. I don't think you guys will argue with that.

chad72
09-21-2009, 11:30 PM
This man doesn't even need a quarter to win a game. We had no business winning this game but for Peyton and his big plays.

Gosh, we are so lucky to see this guy play for the Colts!!! Enough said.

RagingColt
09-21-2009, 11:33 PM
Gosh, we are so lucky to see this guy play for the Colts!!! Enough said.

Couldn't have said any better. Makes ya realize how much about 30 other NFL teams wish they had Manning for QB.

Geo
09-21-2009, 11:38 PM
Simply amazing.

killxswitch
09-22-2009, 08:04 AM
Offense, other than a few dumbass moves earlier on, was unbelievably good. Even the running game (when the playcalling wasn't cripplingly stupid) was on, vs. a team that really stuffed Michael Turner a week before.

The defense looked like a Ron Meeks defense. The DBs gave a huge cushion (against Noodle Arm Pennington?!). The LBs bit on every fake, misdirection, and wildcat nonsense play. Freeney and Mathis ran upfield past the play yet again, and were jumping offsides way too much. The DTs got blown off the line time and time again. It was straight up 2006/early 08 Colts defense.

I think they'll do better vs. the Cards. They'll have to, Warner can actually throw downfield and has receivers who will catch it. And then run with it!

Geo
09-23-2009, 08:35 PM
- A win is a win. That's what matters.

- The Colts weren't perfect, especially on defense and also partly on special teams, but it's only Week 2. Again, the important thing is the win.

- How big was Donald Brown? He made a great play to help set up the FG before halftime, and then made a great TD run for his first in his NFL career (great playcall by Tom Moore there too). Brown has the ability to make plays, with his intelligence, speed, and vision.

- The Colts ran the ball well with Addai too, just didn't have enough rushing attempts overall. I didn't think they'd run that well against the Miami defense, but they did. There's real promise in the running game even if it doesn't show statistically this early in the season.

- The Colts offense really did abuse the Dolphins defense. I didn't expect that.

- Offensive line did a very good job. The only sack was because of a completely blown assignment, and Johnson let pressure get to Peyton once or twice. Some key blocks on the TD plays, especially Mike Pollak - Brown TD and 20 or 25 yards down the field on the Garcon game-winner.

- Want a first down? Throw at Tim Jennings.

- Interior defensive line was dominated by the Dolphins. Hopefully that isn't repeated again this season.

- The Dolphins offense threw an insane amount of formations and plays at the Colts, it was nuts. Stuff that hasn't been seen in 50 years. I have never ever seen a team continually utilize one unique formations after another for one game to that quality and magnitude, and I doubt I ever will. Major credit to their OC.

- That said, Larry Coyer didn't have a great game. Far from it. He needed to do a better job, and hopefully he will. I think he will. As he gets a better feel for the players and they get a better feel for him.

- I don't know what the game film says, but my gut feeling is that Clint Session had a really disappointing performance.

- The Dolphins desperately needed to win and so they gave every single thing they had against the Colts. It still wasn't enough however. But credit to them for such a game effort, it was incredible as was the crowd/atmosphere.

- Fabulous experience not just for the younger players, in this type of big game atmosphere, but for the team overall. For the 2009 Colts.

chad72
09-23-2009, 09:48 PM
- Want a first down? Throw at Tim Jennings.

Tim Jennings is the kind of CB that makes his break once the ball gets closer to the WR as opposed to Jerraud Powers who presses and makes the break like it will get to the WR, more in anticipation than it happening actually.

When they drafted Powers, a lot of us were thinking this is not a zone coverage corner that they are drafting, he does not tackle the greatest. They probably knew that if the D decides to blitz more, we need someone with man coverage skills opposite Hayden on the outside with Marlin or Jennings playing nickel. There is risk involved but with a QB like Pennington and WR like Ted Ginn Jr., Jennings could have easily played closer. Jennings has good tackling skills and has a 4.3 40, so he can recover even if he takes a small risk, that is why I do not understand why Larry Coyer chose to play it that way. It was by design, according to the Polian Corner on colts.com. I don't agree with it but hey, I am not a DC.

Plus, our blitzes were getting nowhere with the Dolphins O-line, maybe they should stop blitzing LBs and start bringing a faster Marlin Jackson and Melvin Bullitt on run blitzes from both sides thus guiding the wildcat RB towards one direction where the LBs can make the plays. That would also force the O-line to direct their energy and focus on the double side blitz more often thus allowing the LBs to shoot the gaps if the RB should get through. That will balance the numbers game where the QB/RB had the numbers advantage with the O-line. That is what the Ravens did, blitz the heck out of Chad and the Dolphins in the playoff game. Obviously, Larry Coyer is not Rex Ryan, and neither is our personnel built for blitzing mainly.

Also, Donald Brown should be eased slowly because we need to remember that these NFL rookies played a 11 game season in college, probably taking as much punishment as an RB meted out in about 5 or 6 games in the NFL even when you carry about 50-60%. So, let him be at 20-30%, and then get him to 50% by the middle of the season and see where he goes from there.

chad72
09-23-2009, 09:55 PM
With Arizona, my biggest concern is the health of Gary Brackett and the crossing routes and passes in the middle of the field that could explode if Gary Brackett is not there.

Seamus2602
09-24-2009, 05:31 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/2yzn4o0.jpg at http://i27.tinypic.com/296hfkk.jpg

2009 Regular Season - Week 3: Arizona

Indianapolis Colts

WLB: Jordan Senn
MLB: Freddie Keiaho
LCB: Tim Jennings

Current Injuries:

Gary Brackett – LB: Out
Clint Session – LB: Questionable
Kelvin Hayden – CB: Questionable
Bob Sanders – S: Questionable

Arizona Cardinals

QB: Kurt Warner
RB: Tim Hightower
FB: Dan Kreider
TE: Stephen Spach
LWR: Larry Fitzgerald
RWR: Anquan Boldin
LT: Mike Gandy
LG: Reggie Wells
C: Lyle Sendlein
RG: Deuce Lutui
RT: Levi Brown

LE: Calais Campbell
RE: Darnell Dockett
NT: Bryan Robinson
JLB: Bertrand Berry
WLB: Karlos Dansby
MLB: Gerald Hayes
SLB: Clark Haggins
LCB: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
RCB: Bryant McFadden
FS: Antrel Rolle
SS: Adrian Wilson

Current Injuries:

Kurt Warner – QB: Probable
Brian St Pierre – QB: Probable
Anquan Boldin – WR: Probable
Steve Breaston – WR: Questionable
Early Doucet – WR: Probable
Levi Brown – OT: Probable
Kenny Iwebema – DE: Probable
Ali Highsmith - LB: Questionable
Chike Okeafor - LB: Questionable
Antrel Rolle – S: Probable
Matt Ware – S: Questionable

Matchup

The key problem the Colts face going into this game is the number of high profile injuries we have. The Colts currently have 5 injuries. All 5 are starters. The team can’t afford that many defensive injuries against Arizona’s high powered Offense.

Pass Offense:

http://i34.tinypic.com/290zwgk.gif

The Pass Offense needs to click this week. The Cardinals aren’t brilliant at defending the pass. They are middle of the road in every category other than Sacks. The Colts need to really take advantage of this. The Cardinals are good at getting pressure. They are 2nd in the league with Sacks and get a lot of pressure on the Quarterback. The Colts Offensive Line need to give Manning time against Arizona. The Cardinals Secondary looks great on paper. They haven’t played that way though. If the Secondary doesn’t step it up then Manning, with time, could punish them. A key matchup could be how well Garcon goes up against DRC. I have to imagine that, like against Miami, the opposition Defense will have to decide who to put the Safety on, Reggie Wayne or Dallas Clark. If they put a Safety on each then you could see really big games out of the likes of Garcon, and the Running Backs. If they only assign 1 Safety it will probably be to Reggie Wayne, in which case Dallas Clark is a good bet again.

Run Offense:

http://i36.tinypic.com/2v1tggn.gif

The Colts aren’t the greatest at running the ball. The Cardinals held Jones Drew to 66 Yards and Frank Gore to 30 Yards. The Cardinals are good against the Run. The 3-4 Defense is very difficult to run on. While the Colts didn’t put up good overall numbers against Miami, they put up good averages. With the injuries in the Defense, the Colts need to run the ball well to give the Defense a chance to rest. The key matchup will be the Colts interior line against Robinson and Dockett. Donald Brown looked pretty good against the Dolphins and if the Cardinals are geared towards defending the pass then Brown could break a big gain if he gets passed that D-Line.

Pass Defense:

http://i35.tinypic.com/il8z7l.gif

Seriously, if Hayden isn’t able to play I think someone needs to shoot Tim Jennings. The Colts are very good at defending the pass. We get good pressure, we have a good secondary and are linebackers drop into Zone Coverage very well. We haven’t given up a Passing Touchdown this season. That will probably change against Arizona. The key thing is about the Pressure. We need to get Warner on the back foot. The Cardinals Offensive Line isn’t the greatest in the world and Indy need to take advantage of this. Larry Fitzgerald hasn’t been able to get into a deep route so far this season. We need to keep it that way. Another key thing could be at Cornerback. If Hayden, Jackson and Powers are all playing then we should do pretty well if we get good pressure.

Run Defense:

http://i34.tinypic.com/jqgx7o.gif

If the Cardinals Pass Offense against Colts Pass Defense is a clash of two giants, then the Cardinals Run Offense against the Colts Run Defense is a clash of the midgets. Arizona have struggled to run the ball, while Indy have struggled to stop the Run. The Colts need to win the battle on the Defensive Line (a battle I feel we can and should win). With problems in the Linebackers we can’t afford the Cardinals to be getting passed the D-Line on every play.

Special Teams:

http://i37.tinypic.com/1zexel0.gif

The Colts Special Teams will probably be more about field position than scoring. Vinatieri doesn’t have the greatest of legs anymore and will probably struggle to make massive impact this season. The Coverage units have been better this season and need to continue with that.

Prediction: Colts – 21 vs Cardinals – 24

chad72
09-24-2009, 10:40 AM
Pass Offense:

http://i34.tinypic.com/290zwgk.gif

The Pass Offense needs to click this week. The Cardinals aren’t brilliant at defending the pass. They are middle of the road in every category other than Sacks. The Colts need to really take advantage of this. The Cardinals are good at getting pressure. They are 2nd in the league with Sacks and get a lot of pressure on the Quarterback. The Colts Offensive Line need to give Manning time against Arizona. The Cardinals Secondary looks great on paper. They haven’t played that way though. If the Secondary doesn’t step it up then Manning, with time, could punish them. A key matchup could be how well Garcon goes up against DRC. I have to imagine that, like against Miami, the opposition Defense will have to decide who to put the Safety on, Reggie Wayne or Dallas Clark. If they put a Safety on each then you could see really big games out of the likes of Garcon, and the Running Backs. If they only assign 1 Safety it will probably be to Reggie Wayne, in which case Dallas Clark is a good bet again.

I see more plays being run for Collie and Garcon, and even Donald Brown this coming game.

Run Offense:

The Colts aren’t the greatest at running the ball. The Cardinals held Jones Drew to 66 Yards and Frank Gore to 30 Yards. The Cardinals are good against the Run. The 3-4 Defense is very difficult to run on. While the Colts didn’t put up good overall numbers against Miami, they put up good averages. With the injuries in the Defense, the Colts need to run the ball well to give the Defense a chance to rest. The key matchup will be the Colts interior line against Robinson and Dockett. Donald Brown looked pretty good against the Dolphins and if the Cardinals are geared towards defending the pass then Brown could break a big gain if he gets passed that D-Line.

True, our pass always sets up the run and that is not going to change.

Pass Defense:

http://i35.tinypic.com/il8z7l.gif

Seriously, if Hayden isn’t able to play I think someone needs to shoot Tim Jennings. The Colts are very good at defending the pass. We get good pressure, we have a good secondary and are linebackers drop into Zone Coverage very well. We haven’t given up a Passing Touchdown this season. That will probably change against Arizona. The key thing is about the Pressure. We need to get Warner on the back foot. The Cardinals Offensive Line isn’t the greatest in the world and Indy need to take advantage of this. Larry Fitzgerald hasn’t been able to get into a deep route so far this season. We need to keep it that way. Another key thing could be at Cornerback. If Hayden, Jackson and Powers are all playing then we should do pretty well if we get good pressure.

Larry Coyer should have learnt not to give the cushion because unlike the Miami WRs, the Cardinal WRs are good with YAC.

Run Defense:

http://i34.tinypic.com/jqgx7o.gif

If the Cardinals Pass Offense against Colts Pass Defense is a clash of two giants, then the Cardinals Run Offense against the Colts Run Defense is a clash of the midgets. Arizona have struggled to run the ball, while Indy have struggled to stop the Run. The Colts need to win the battle on the Defensive Line (a battle I feel we can and should win). With problems in the Linebackers we can’t afford the Cardinals to be getting passed the D-Line on every play.

If Beanie Wells carries the ball at any time, hit him hard. He had 2 fumbles in his previous game, one of which he lost.

Special Teams:

The Colts Special Teams will probably be more about field position than scoring. Vinatieri doesn’t have the greatest of legs anymore and will probably struggle to make massive impact this season. The Coverage units have been better this season and need to continue with that.

Arizona's special teams play real good at home and that is where they could have the biggest difference makers between the two teams, IMO.

Prediction: Colts – 21 vs Cardinals – 24

I'd say Colts 27 - Cardinals 20.:)

Geo
09-24-2009, 11:38 AM
I think the Colts have a good chance to win this, even with the adversity they are facing. The defense likely matches up better against a spread offense like this, with the two Cardinals tackles Gandy and Brown. The receivers are probably the toughest match-up, hopefully Hayden and Powers are both good to go.

(The thing about Powers, over Tim Jennings, is that he has excellent ball skills and awareness.)

The Colts will get some grief from the opposing offense like last week, but like last week, I think their offense can give the opposing defense some grief.

The Arizona defense allowed more passing TDs (36) than any other team in the league last year, and it wasn't close (second worst was New England with 27, then four teams tied at third with 25). So far this season they've already given up 462 passing yards and 3 TDs, facing the 49ers at home and Jacksonville on the road, plus keep in mind Jacksonville left points on the field with mental errors.

I'd feel a little better about this game if it were held in Indy, but it will likely come down to a couple of plays in certain situations. Turnovers will be key, especially for the Colts. I think Freeney and Mathis will be more effective in this game than against the Dolphins, which will play into the creation of turnovers.

I see this as a high-scoring affair, both teams in the thirties I suspect. It will probably be difficult for a lead to last in this game because of the offenses involved. But I think the effectiveness of Colts players will help them get the close win.

MaxV
09-24-2009, 11:42 AM
This will be a tough game, no doubt. I hope we can pull it out. D needs to step up and O needs to play mistake-free.

I hope we can get to Warner and force some TOs.

Seamus2602
09-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Here's a question. If Jerraud Powers continues to impress and plays as well against Arizona and other teams as he did against Jacksonville, will the team ever move Marlin Jackson from the Nickle job?

chad72
09-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Here's a question. If Jerraud Powers continues to impress and plays as well against Arizona and other teams as he did against Jacksonville, will the team ever move Marlin Jackson from the Nickle job?

I heard Jeff Fisher on Mike & Mike this morning on ESPN Radio. He was talking about the Titan's next opponent and pointed out a play where the Jets D had 7 defensive backs on the field on a 3rd & 1 against the Pats, that would mean a nickel and dime formation for a 3rd & 1, unheard of, just emphasizing the fact that Rex Ryan's D schemes can be unpredictable.

But you know what, those quick guys actually shot past the O-linemen and the Pats had a 1-yard loss on that play.

This brings up a question.

If you are depending on LBs to shoot gaps and they do not do it well, whether it is defending the run, or blitzing, would we better off throwing in wrinkles like using our DBs that tackle well to blitz instead of the LBs to take advantage of the speed factor to get past the O-linemen? If our LBs are not quick enough to get past O-linemen, do we need speed over size to get past them to be disruptive?

For some reason, I feel that we may have as much, if not more success blitzing Marlin Jackson and/or Melvin Bullitt if we have to rather than our LBs exclusively. The two instances where Melvin Bullitt blitzed in pre-season, he did have good results but that was pre-season. Of course, the premise is IF we have to or decide to blitz.

Blitzing a safety takes perfect timing and is easier to recognize for a QB. But blitzing a nickel DB like Marlin Jackson that plays close to the line of scrimmage may work better since there are better slot/flat cover options (Bullitt can move up to the flat and pick up the wideout etc.).

Sometimes, I'd rather play nickel all the time since Marlin tackles better than most of our LBs.:)

Geo
09-25-2009, 10:36 AM
I would keep Powers outside and Marlin in the slot, if Powers keeps playing well.

Read the comments on this article for entertainment value (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2009/09/24/20090924spt-bickleycards.html).

Geo
09-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Gary Brackett and Kelvin Hayden didn't make the trip. (http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5j-xErpcZJRgYjdd00AIqm5-QorVA)

Very unfortunate. Hopefully the Colts will still get it done tomorrow night.

Geo
09-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Thoughts on the game:

- Awesome win by the Colts. The most important thing.

- Offense scored in the thirties like I thought they would. Actually they should have scored in the forties, if not the fifties, with all the points they left on the field last night. I didn't think that was a truly great performance by the offense, they didn't execute a number of times. But they played well.

- So far this season, we've seen big plays from the offense. Credit three things: Peyton healthy, offensive line healthy, and skill position players who deserve to be on the field and to get the targets from Peyton.

- I wonder why Tom Moore and Peyton Manning didn't run the ball left more? It was working so well last night, but they didn't go back to enough. Sometimes they do that (especially with the running game) and I wonder why. But they're smarter offensive minds than me, for sure.

- Addai and Brown continue to look good. Especially Donald Brown, he looks great. Must have been an extra dagger for Arizona to see that, he was the back they wanted in the Draft and would have been a beast for them.

- I loved Garcon since the first time I saw him play, in the Hall of Fame preseason game against the Redskins in 2008. Didn't think his speed would his biggest calling card as a player, but it is. He burned Rodgers-Cromartie. He made Rodgers-Cromartie his you-know-what last night actually, lol.

- Arizona didn't score in the thirties though, thanks to the Colts defense. Amazing job, especially considering how many back-ups were playing. Amazing.

- Nothing new to be said for Dwight Freeney, same as before the game: that's why there's no other DE in the league I would take over him. No one impacts all 60 minutes of a game like him, I've seen it with my own eyes. Just hope he's okay.

- I have a nickname for Antoine Bethea: "Cato"

- For Freddy Keiaho: "You're Terrible"

- I'm not going to lie, Vinatieri's missed FG ticked me off. He was lucky he hit the bar last week and it still managed to bounce in. He needs to stop aiming it left so much, if possible. Which I think he corrected on his next FG attempt, a successful one down the middle.

- Special teams coverage was excellent, I thought.

- Rushing had his best game as a returner too, so far this season.

- Maybe we won't have the hear the words "Tony Dungy" and "Marvin Harrison" any more this season. If only.

Geo
09-28-2009, 12:23 PM
So apparently DeVan and Pollak rotated at right guard last night.

Interesting, I wasn't aware of it while watching the game. I'm curious as to how the offense performed with each player.

chad72
09-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Our O was getting warmed up. Once the 2nd quarter was over, the outcome of the game was not in question. This is the D that gave up 6 TDs to Favre and let Roethlisberger march down the field giving up huge chunks of yardage to Santonio Holmes on that winning SB drive. Cardinals are who I thought they were, a barely above .500 team that rode the greatest playoff streak for a WR that happened at the right time.:)

I was surprisingly happy that Boldin did not get the illegal contact call with Bethea, the Colts never get such calls but Bethea, as always, is alert and knows where the ball is. Everyone was talking about Beanie Wells fumbling. Hightower fumbling was the turning point in this game. I guess Wisenhunt asks Hightower to run around with a ball this week, huh?:)

Addai was exceptional with his blitz blocking, and very good with his running and catching. Brown did well in his blitz blocking and was equally good running and catching as well. I like this tandem. I am glad RB catches are becoming a constant playcalling recurrence. Our passing has set up the run very well so far.

Manning is on fire, people had forgotten how good he was in 2006 & 2007 off the blocks, it was time to remind them all after a bad start in 2008, the deep ball is back too.:cool: I was going to be happy if we went 4-1 into our bye week. 5-0 would be real sweet.

Our D was better prepared, had better schemes, and executed better. I think Coyer realized that the "bend but not break" was not going to help in the long run with defensive injuries while nearing the playoffs if they keep logging too many minutes. Plus, we had a good matchup too. Not willing to pass judgement on our D after 2 good games and 1 bad game, will wait till they face another power running team with the Titans that will give us their best shot in game 5.

McAfee's kickoffs continue to be good, AV's legs may be being rested for the FGs but I do think AV may be asked to re-structure contract or be let go after this season if McAfee's performance on kickoffs continue.

Geo
09-28-2009, 02:12 PM
Nice mention of McAfee, he's done a real good job as both the kickoff man and the punter.

The offensive line did a good job last night, especially in pass protection.

Geo
09-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Eric Foster is noticeably playing well, plus you get this:

"We took the fight to 'em, baby!" screamed defensive tackle Eric Foster as he shook owner Jim Irsay's hand and then entered a jubilant locker room.

Love this guy.

Philliez01
09-28-2009, 07:12 PM
A few more bits I noticed.

-Manning seems to be more "trusting" in both Garcon and to a lesser extent, Austin Collie. Still you can see that it's not a crisp connection yet but Garcon can be a very good player in this league and Collie is going to be dependable. Maybe not a superstar like Wayne/Dallas Clark or a player with vast potential like Garcon but someone who will get a big first down and a good block.

-Donald Brown. The Explosion. He runs with such...tenacity. I feel like he gets faster when he hits someone. It's so cool to watch and realize that he is on the Blue Team.

-Loving the pass-rush and the team did look good as a unit. I'm worried about Adam V but I trust him still. He isn't in Brad Lidge territory yet.

Geo
09-28-2009, 10:25 PM
I thought Keyunta Dawson looked as good as I've seen him this year too. Hopefully he plays well, especially if Freeney misses some time.

Geo
09-29-2009, 10:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4514956

Source: Freeney likely out two games

Updated: September 29, 2009, 10:35 AM ET
By Adam Schefter
ESPN

Doctors are expecting Indianapolis Colts defensive end Dwight Freeney to miss two to three weeks with a strained quadriceps, a league source said Tuesday morning.

It should be pointed out that in the past, Freeney has been a notoriously quick healer. But if doctors are correct, Freeney would miss the Colts next two games against Seattle and at Tennessee before Indianapolis hits its bye week on Oct. 18. Under that schedule, Freeney could return for the Colts' game Oct. 25 at St. Louis.

Freeney was apparently injured Sunday night, when Cardinals offensive tackle Levi Brown pulled the Indianapolis defensive end's face mask and Freeney heard a pop in his quad. He underwent an MRI exam on Monday and the Colts received the results Monday night.
Hopefully Schefter is right with this info. Obviously it sucks losing Freeney for a few weeks, most especially the game at Tennessee, but more important is that he could recover and return reasonably soon.

killxswitch
09-29-2009, 12:09 PM
We don't need him vs. Seattle or vs. Tennessee, or even vs. St. Louis. He'll have 3 and possibly 4 weeks of rest to make sure his leg is good to go. I"m disappointed for him, as he was on his way to a career high in sacks, but we really need him for the later part of the season and the post-season.

I didn't think Keiaho was that bad. He was better than Senn.

Geo
09-29-2009, 02:41 PM
I've had this Seattle game "circled" as the game Bob Sanders would return to the field (by).

RagingColt
09-29-2009, 10:36 PM
Charlie Johnson. We haven't mentioned his name much at all so far this year. That's a good thing. He's done pretty good so far in pass protection. He still seems a bit loss when in the open field blocking on screens but I guess you don't expect a 6th rounder to be an all world LT.

killxswitch
09-30-2009, 07:16 AM
Johnson was pretty bad in open field blocking. Both Addai and Brown paid for that on plays that could've been better had Ugoh been in the game. That said, he has done a good job in most other aspects and has proven he deserves the starting job. I still think Ugoh has more talent, but he's just too much of a headcase to use it I guess. What a waste.

RagingColt
09-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Santi was apparently resigned today.

Via Yahoo/AP

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ak4.t7dQvd8mpCIEd8f118lDubYF?slug=ap-colts-hurtingdefense&prov=ap&type=lgns

Phil B. from the Star also has the same info.

http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/

killxswitch
10-01-2009, 07:38 AM
Not "re-signed" so much as signed to the practice squad.

Seamus2602
10-01-2009, 09:13 AM
It isn't a surprise. The team like what they see from Santi. His play isn't what stops him playing. Like Mike Hart if he can regain his health then he will contribute.

chad72
10-01-2009, 10:57 AM
If Hasselback were playing, we will miss Freeney and Brackett badly and John Carlson would go off on us.:)

I still expect Buffalo Bills style football played by the Seahawks, good special teams, dink and dunk to RBs to move the chains and playing chew-the-clock style of football.

Geo
10-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah, they probably will try to run the ball a lot. I don't think it will work out for them, but then zone blocking has given the Colts defense a little grief in the last few years (04ish Broncos, Texans the last two years).

I heard the Seahawks will be playing their third-string left tackle. Good news for whoever plays at RDE this week, likely Raheem Brock. But I think we'll see all four guys - Mathis, Brock, Eric Foster, and Keyunta Dawson - get snaps and do well. They'll do a very good job.

Offensively, I think the Colts are going to give the Hawks some major grief. It will be interesting to see how the Colts line-up.

If they go 2-TE with both TEs lined up inline, as they have been doing a lot so far this season, they could leave a linebacker and/or a safety trying to cover Dallas Clark. Emphasis on trying.

But if the Colts give a three-wide look, that could force Seattle to play in a nickel defense. Even assuming Josh Wilson does play this game, first off he won't be 100 percent after suffering a high ankle sprain a week and a half ago, but also the corners behind him are Travis Fisher and Kelly Jennings. The Colts' receiving threats can beat those guys (I think Garcon has another good game). Plus a nickel defense leaves them to be gashed further by the Colts' running game.

Seamus2602
10-02-2009, 09:07 AM
http://i29.tinypic.com/14vlqj8.jpg at http://i31.tinypic.com/2yzn4o0.jpg

2009 Regular Season - Week 4: Seattle

Indianapolis Colts

LE: Robert Mathis
RE: Raheem Brock
MLB: Freddie Keiaho

KR: TJ Rushing

Current Injuries:

Chad Simpson - RB: Questionable
Anthony Gonzalez - WR: Questionable
Keyunta Dawson - DE: Questionable
Dwight Freeney - DE: Questionable
Gary Brackett - LB: Questionable
Kelvin Hayden - CB: Questionable
Bob Sanders - S: Questionable

Seattle Seahawks

QB: Seneca Wallace
RB: Julius Jones
FB: Owen Schmitt
TE: John Carlson
LWR: Nate Burleson
RWR: TJ Houshmandzadeh
LT: Brandon Frye
LG: Mansfield Wrotto
C: Steve Vallos
RG: Max Unger
RT: Ray Willis

LE: Corey Redding
UT: Brandon Mebane
NT: Colin Cole
RE: Patrick Kerney
WLB: Will Herring
MLB: David Hawthorne
SLB: Aaron Curry
LCB: Kelly Jennings
RCB: Ken Lucas
FS: Jordan Babineaux
SS: Deon Grant

PK: Olindo Mare
P: Jon Ryan
H: Jon Ryan
LS: Kevin Houser
KR: Deon Butler
PR: Nate Burleson

Current Injuries:

Matt Hasselbeck - QB: Questionable
Justin Griffit - FB: Questionable
Sean Locklear - OT: Out
Walter Jones - OT: Questionable
Brandon Frye - OT: Probable
Rob Sims - OG: Questionable
Leroy Hill - LB: Out
Lofa Tatupu - LB: Questionable
Josh Wilson - CB: Questionable
Ken Lucas - CB: Questionable
Jordan Babineaux - S: Probable

Matchup

Both teams are carrying some pretty heavy injury lists and this game will show who has the better 53 rather than who has the better starters.

Pass Offense:

http://i35.tinypic.com/143gbqp.gif

There was a lot of doom and gloom from the pundits when the team cut Marvin Harrison in the Offseason and even more doom and gloom after Anthony Gonzalez got hurt. All it has done though is given the likes of Pierre Garçon and Austin Collie the chance to step up. And they have. Collie is quickly developing a good repore with Manning while Garçon has been on fire the last two games. The Passing Offense will cause the Seahawks some problems. The Seahawks secondary is in a bit of a shambles. It isn't that brilliant when fully healthy and three starters aren't currently healthy. With Garçon stepping up and giving Manning a good target on the Right, and defenses struggling to put two men on both Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark, as well as the other underneath players playing well, the Seahawks will not be able to commit more than a 4 man rush on most plays. And for all our concerns about them in the run up to the season the line has looked pretty good on passing plays. Peyton Manning has put up 3 300 yard games this season and I fully expect him to make it 4 from 4 while adding a few more Touchdowns to his stat sheet.

Run Offense:

The Seahawks Run Defense hasn't been the most impressive this year. And they are having real trouble defending runs up the gut. The Colts have struggled to run outside Right Tackle this year and need to focus on running the ball through the middle. I don't really expect there to be significant improvment in the Running game but I do see a few big plays in this game, especially from Donald Brown.

Pass Defense:

http://i34.tinypic.com/30bnuax.gif

The Seahawks are limping out of the traps on passing downs. The key thing for the Colts is to force them into obvious passing downs. The Seahawks starting Left Tackle will probably be their backup Right Tackle. Whoever plays at Right End (probably Raheem Brock) could be in for a productive day. The team need to cover TJ and John Carlson well as Seneca Wallace will look to get rid of the ball quickly. TJ isn't a deep threat and it means that Melvin Bullitt could be brought in to team with Hagler and double cover Carlson for the entire game. The key thing is just stick to the basics. Rush the passer, don't make mistakes and force Seneca Wallace to try and do something with the ball.

Run Defense:

http://i28.tinypic.com/15hy7ns.gif

The Seahawks have struggled to run the ball through the middle and towards Left Tackle so far this season. All exchange has been towards their Right Tackle and with Raheem Brock playing on the Right handside it will put pressure on Robert Mathis to perform on run downs. Mathis needs to have a big game. The team need to stop the Seahawks run game and force them to pass ball.

Special Teams:

The Special Teams have improved slightly compared to last year. Overall we have had a better field position average than we have given up but it isn't by a significant margin. The Coverage team need to step it up and really secure us a good defensive field position and force teams to have to pass the ball.

Prediction: Seahawks - 14 vs Colts - 24

Geo
10-04-2009, 11:24 AM
Per Rotoworld:

Colts declared S Bob Sanders, WR Anthony Gonzalez, CB Kelvin Hayden, LB Gary Brackett, OT Tony Ugoh and DT Fili Moala inactive for Week 4 against the Seahawks.

Seahawks declared QB Matt Hasselbeck, OL Walter Jones, TE Cameron Morrah, DL Michael Bennett, LB Leroy Hill, DL Red Bryant, OL Sean Locklear and DB Josh Wilson inactive for Week 4 against the Colts.
Wilson inactive is even better for the Colts. Freeney is active, but does he actually play?

Geo
10-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Colts defense is looking nasty so far.

3rd and 7, Freeney comes into the game! He almost makes a sack too despite being double-teamed, but just missed Wallace who completed a first down pass to the slot receiver.

3rd and 8 this time, after two more great stops by the defense. Incomplete! Awesome spin by Freeney, he looks 100 percent healthy!

Geo
10-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Btw, big news for the roster:

Mike Hart is back on the roster. The team released Chad Simpson. (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson-Colts-promote-Mike-Hart-to-active-roster.html)

Geo
10-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Pierre Garcon just made a great catch between the corner and the safety.

Colts offense is looking really good so far, especially Addai.

Geo
10-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Donald Brown scores his first TD in Indy! Tough running in the red zone by him for three straight plays.

The cool thing is that on the 3rd and goal play, the team lined up in a tight I-formation, but then all at once two receivers moved out to the left and the backs (Peyton, Foster, and Brown) moved to a split back shotgun formation. And Peyton gave the ball to Brown soon as it was hiked.

Philliez01
10-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Manning doing a good job spreading the ball a bit. No receptions for Reggie or Clark yet but Garcon, Collie and the RBs are getting the rock today.

Geo
10-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Seattle defensive line has given the Colts some grief the last two drives, but Peyton still engineered a TD drive just now. That long pass to Garcon, he didn't even get to set his feet but threw it great. Addai looking really good today.

Luckily the Donald Brown fumble bounced out of bounds.

Geo
10-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Tim Jennings is getting beat all game so far.

Geo
10-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Ugh, Tim Jennings is so awful. He just took a bad angle on the run. Luckily Seattle was holding on the play and was flagged for it.

Btw Seattle has stopped throwing it anywhere else, just his way. Which is pretty smart.

Geo
10-04-2009, 01:22 PM
This two-minute offense (they got the ball with with around 1:22 left) is an absolute joy to watch. Incredible.

Donald Brown is playing in this two-minute offense btw.

Seattle is having fits trying to deal with the Colts, they've committed a number of penalties thus far (and guilty of all them, despite Mora's pathetic whining about them).

Peyton just delivered a great ball out of the pocket to Garcon, great diving catch by Pierre. They're reviewing it, but it's complete.

Geo
10-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Wow what a TD pass!

9 seconds left, no timeouts left and 21 yds from the end zone, Peyton delivers an awesome pass to Collie over the shoulder in the end zone. Great catch by Collie, his first career TD catch.

3 seconds left in the game.

Incredible.

Philliez01
10-04-2009, 01:52 PM
The offense, simply put, is dialed in right now. Uh maz zing.

Geo
10-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Is it just me or does Addai look better than ever? Just the way he's moving around on the field and how he's playing the game this season, it's like you can tell that he's not just healthy but also that this is his fourth year in the league.

Brown makes things happen so soon because he's just so talented.

Geo
10-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Lacey is playing in place of Jennings, yay.

Geo
10-04-2009, 02:08 PM
Shuffle pass to ... Dallas Clark!

Very cool play call on 3rd and 2.

Geo
10-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Colts run immediate hurry up on third down, Peyton forces it to Reggie and Lucas intercepts it. Unfortunate.

Seems like the immediate hurry up never works much for the Colts. They're better off waiting for a normal hurry-up.

Philliez01
10-04-2009, 02:36 PM
This is a fun game to follow on GameCast/Radio feed. I really think the addition of Don Brown was huge for both RBs (and the aerial attack). It's also good that this team looks to have good youth, not just youth, in Garcon and Collie (and Brown).

Gonna be a fun year.

Geo
10-04-2009, 05:17 PM
First off the bad:

- Tim Jennings.

- The Seahawks' second TD ticks me off, for two reasons:

1. The Colts failed miserably on the onsides kick attempt. They definitely need to work on that.

2. They gave up their second passing TD of the year defensively.

Otherwise, great game by the Colts.

- Peyton Manning is super. Super.

- Remember when we said before the season that this is the best receiving core ever for the Colts? We were right. The passing game is great.

- Best Colts RB core ever too? Addai, Brown, and Hart. I say yes.

- Offensive line did a pretty good job, although the Seahawks gave them some fits at times. But they kept guys off Manning long enough and blocked very well in the run. They did a great job.

- Charlie Johnson hurt his knee I believe and thus left late in the game, really hope he's okay.

- The defense played great, with maybe exception to the last 4 minutes when the game was in hand. Great job by the D.

- Freeney playing was/is astounding. Definition of an impact player and a franchise player. Plus now he has 5 sacks in the first 4 games.

- Great tackling by the defense today. Thoroughly impressed by it, start to finish, would be surprised if a team could do any better.

- Special teams did good. McAfee continues to do very well in kickoffs, and nice FG down the middle for Vinny.

MaxV
10-05-2009, 11:34 AM
Impressive win. Collie and Garcon look like great finds by BP. And they are still young players that could get better with time.

I wonder which one of them will be benched when Gonzo comes back. Gonzo is at his best as a slot WR, so I guess it'll probably be Collie.

Next week's opponent will be tough. Titans have way too much talent on their roster to be 0-4. Chris Johnson, especially, worries me. This guy is explosive.

I hope we can take care of business and be 5-0 going into the bye week.

Seamus2602
10-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Impressive win. Collie and Garcon look like great finds by BP. And they are still young players that could get better with time.

I wonder which one of them will be benched when Gonzo comes back. Gonzo is at his best as a slot WR, so I guess it'll probably be Collie.

Two things. Firstly, they will rotate it. The main players who will lose out in Gonzo's return will be Gijon Robinson and Jacob Tamme. I saw Tamme on the field for a decent number of plays (some at wide out) which will probably stop when Gonzo returns.

Secondly, Gonzo isn't better as a Slot Receiver. Gonzo is at his best as a Split End or a Flanker (the two traditional Wide Receiver positions). He played his best football lining up accross from Wayne. Last year when Wayne, Harrison and Gonzo played they lined up with Harrison as Flanker, Gonzo at Split End and Wayne at Slot. Reggie is naturally a Split End, and so Gonzo has been relegated to Flanker but he is definately not a natural Slot Receiver. If Gonzo, Wayne and Garcon are on the field at the same time then Wayne is in the slot, with Gonzo and Garcon playing Wide Out. If Gonzo, Wayne and Collie are on the field then it is Collie in the Slot. Gonzo won't play Slot.

Geo
10-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Gonzalez can play from the slot well, although I think he'll probably line-up on the outside more when he returns because that's what he and Peyton focused on all offseason. But Gonzo is like Reggie, he can line-up anywhere on the field and attack defenses.

The good thing is that, not only is it great having Garcon and Collie on the team, but they help allow Gonzalez ease back into the starting line-up after coming off a major knee injury.

Geo
10-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Big game this week.

This game doesn't have the feel that you'd probably normally get if the 4-0 Colts were playing an 0-4 team. The Titans are familiar with the Colts as division foes, and they still have Chris Johnson who is their offense. They're doing a good job of stopping the run without Haynesworth, even though his absence is the biggest reason for their defensive struggles imo.

One very fortunate thing for the Colts is that the Titans could be missing their three best cornerbacks for this game: Fuller is definitely out with a serious injury, Finnegan's hamstring kept him out last week, and Harper suffered a rib(s) injury against the Jaguars. I'm not going to lie or wish ill, but I hope all three miss this specific game on Sunday night as they recover. The Titans would start two rookie corners if so.

I wonder if we see the Titans rush four and drop back into zone a lot, to help their pass defense. That could help open some shorter things for the Colts, including the running game. I think the Colts offense is going really frustrate the Titans defense, especially with how hot Peyton and co. are right now.

Defensively, I think a similar approach to last week would be good - a strong DL rotation, including Freeney mainly on pass-rushing downs to make him most effective while limiting any stress on his quad. The Colts used a 4-4-3 look last year to bottle the Titans' running game, but the Colts are much better off at defensive tackle right now comparatively so Coyer likely won't do that this Sunday. But maybe Coyer does as he is developing some good stuff, including having Jordan Senn as a nickel backer it seems (I like it).

Last year in Tennessee, Collins made some really accurate passes that imo was what won the game for the Titans, hopefully he doesn't repeat that this year as he's characteristically not playing as well after a good season. Plus last year there were two or three potential turnovers that the Colts could have had but couldn't seal the deal, either the Johnson fumble wasn't recovered or the DB couldn't catch the Collins interception and so on.

The MNF game last year, in Week 7 or whenever it was, was a game the Colts could have definitely won even though Peyton was still coming back to health/form and the defense was struggling. This year's Colts are in better position to get the job done, conversely the Titans not playing as well.

I'm sure the fans will be fired up on primetime, but I think that too could differ from last year's game. (Even though the Titans are calling for a "Code Blue", yes even despite that.) If the Colts can develop an early lead, one wonders if that doesn't help serve to deflate the crowd and the Titans given the way their season has gone thus far.

RagingColt
10-06-2009, 10:06 PM
From the nationalfootballpost.com via StampedeBlue.com, the Colts cut LB Senn and signed RB/KR Simpson today. They also worked out a pair of DBs too.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson-Colts-cut-Jordan-Senn-sign-Chad-Simpson.html

Even if Bracket is back, Senn could play special teams really well. Chad did exactly squat as a return man so this is very puzzling move to me.

As for the Titans game, I expect to see a bunch of wacky plays and calls from Fisher on Sunday night. Remember the game when they kept kicking onside kicks and recovering them vs the Colts? Yeah, that's what I expect from what has to be a very desperate and disappointed Titans squad. Defensively, the Titans are in deep. Think Garco and Collie continue to improve this week and post up more great stats. The way our D-Line is playing, maybe as you point out Geo, we should dominate vs their pass offense.

Geo
10-06-2009, 10:24 PM
Very good Polian Corner this week, give it a read. (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=4f4372b4-7527-41b7-84d0-190a23440d4e)

One part in particular, about this weekend's game, caught my eye:

Q: Another big defensive performance Sunday by the Colts. What's the difference between Miami, when the Colts allowed 239 yards rushing, and the last two weeks?

A: First of all, it's systemic. We controlled the run against Miami from conventional formations about as well as we've controlled it the last two weeks. What we did not control was the Wildcat and the ‘A’ formation. Those were based upon in Miami's version – which is very good – misdirection, the ability to confuse keys, the ability to make us stop and read rather than read on the run and play fast, which is how we play defense. Almost systemically, they took us out of what we wanted to do and what we're equipped to do. That didn't happen the last two weeks, and it didn't happen in Miami when they were in conventional formations, by and large. That's the short answer. That begs the question, 'Can Tennessee do it?' The answer is, 'Yes, they can.' Do we expect they will? The answer is, 'Yes, we do.' They could run it with (quarterback) Vince (Young). They could run it with (quarterback) Kerry (Collins). They could run it with any number of people. I could see them running it with Vince and both backs in the game. There are any number of ways they can do it. We'll have to wait until Sunday night to figure out which one it is, but I'm pretty sure we're going to see one version or another of it. Maybe all three.
I think Polian is right, the Colts could see a heavy dose of the Wildcat. Probably with Vince Young at QB, or at least I would to make it effective. It gives them their best chance to win, unless the Colts can defend it much better than they did against Miami.

As for the Senn/Simpson switch, I find it interesting too. Maybe they were worried who would handle the returns if Rushing were to get injured?

Wouldn't mind seeing Senn back, but I guess this bodes well for the recovering health of both Brackett and Session.

Geo
10-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Everyone give this a read, it's absolutely hilarious:

Foster the hidden weapon for Colts offense (http://www.indystar.com/article/20091007/SPORTS03/910070340/1058/SPORTS03/Foster+the+hidden+weapon+for+Colts+offense)

killxswitch
10-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Everyone give this a read, it's absolutely hilarious:

Foster the hidden weapon for Colts offense (http://www.indystar.com/article/20091007/SPORTS03/910070340/1058/SPORTS03/Foster+the+hidden+weapon+for+Colts+offense)

I like his attitude, he is genuinely excited to play football. I was never a fan of the Reid-Fullback experiment, but Foster has done ok with it.

Geo
10-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Daunting Colts defense causes headaches (http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091007/SPORTS/910070329/1002)

A poll for America's team has the Colts 4th, behind only the Cowboys, Steelers, and Bears. (http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=ACBJ&date=20091007&id=10473304)

Elias Sports Bureau: (http://espn.go.com/espn/elias?date=20091005)

Peyton Manning passed for 353 yards in the Colts' 34-17 win over the Seahawks. It was Manning's fourth consecutive 300-yard game, an accomplishment that should not be overlooked. Consider the following:

- None of the top three in career passing yardage, Brett Favre, Dan Marino, or John Elway, ever recorded four straight 300-yard games.
- Fran Tarkenton, who ranks fifth in career yardage (one position higher than Manning), never even posted two straight 300-yard games.
- Manning's father, Archie, had back-to-back 300-yard games only once in his career and his brother, Eli, has never recorded two in a row.

chad72
10-08-2009, 02:27 PM
Two things. Firstly, they will rotate it. The main players who will lose out in Gonzo's return will be Gijon Robinson and Jacob Tamme. I saw Tamme on the field for a decent number of plays (some at wide out) which will probably stop when Gonzo returns.

Secondly, Gonzo isn't better as a Slot Receiver. Gonzo is at his best as a Split End or a Flanker (the two traditional Wide Receiver positions). He played his best football lining up accross from Wayne. Last year when Wayne, Harrison and Gonzo played they lined up with Harrison as Flanker, Gonzo at Split End and Wayne at Slot. Reggie is naturally a Split End, and so Gonzo has been relegated to Flanker but he is definately not a natural Slot Receiver. If Gonzo, Wayne and Garcon are on the field at the same time then Wayne is in the slot, with Gonzo and Garcon playing Wide Out. If Gonzo, Wayne and Collie are on the field then it is Collie in the Slot. Gonzo won't play Slot.

First, Garcon is heck a lot better run blocker than Gonzo is, hands down, no argument there. Second, he is physical to fight off jams at the line of scrimmage much better.

The best thing about Gonzo is his shorter strides which allow him to get separation faster and that is better utilized in the slot than the outside. Garcon definitely has shown more long speed on the outside to me so far. Their 40 yard dashes are not dramatically different but Gonzo does not have the physicality to deal with physical DBs like an Al Harris or Charles Woodson or Quentin Jammer on the outside, Garcon is. Put Gonzo against any, I mean, any CB in the slot in the league, Gonzo will school them. No wonder he was schooling Cason in the Chargers playoff game before he got hurt and did not return after the half.

Besides, let us not forget that the Colts use their wideouts interchangeably. So I can see a combination of:

i) From left to right: Wayne, Gonzo, Clark and Garcon with Clark in the slot along with Gonzo (or) Wayne, Collie, Clark and Garcon with Clark in the slot along with Collie.

ii) Wayne, Collie, Gonzo, and Garcon when we have to go 4 WRs which we haven't done in the longest time since Clark started playing slot. That will come handy when we are behind 2 scores.

Besides, the Colts have used Wayne in the slot on screen passes, now Garcon and Clark have caught screen passes, pretty soon, I can see Gonzo catching screen passes. I think Gonzo would do great catching screen passes as I can see him generate more YAC than most of our wideouts. Do not forget we can also use Gonzo in crossing patterns where he starts at the slot where it is hard to double team him and then ends up in the corner of the field like those TDs he caught against the Pats and Chargers in the regular season games last year.

Geo
10-09-2009, 11:41 AM
It looks very much like both Hayden and Jackson are going to miss this game. That's tough. The Colts will go into this game with four active corners being: rookie Jerraud Powers (to be fair is now a starter), First Down Jennings, rookie Jacob Lacey, and return man TJ Rushing. The Titans can't complain much about their corner situation.

Hmm, maybe that's why the Colts re-signed Simpson, because they'll let him return kickoffs so that Rushing won't possibly get injured and play some corner if necessary.

I really expect the Titans defense to rush only four and drop almost everyone back, like they usually do against the Colts. That's what they do, similar to the Colts, make you earn every yard and are hard to score TDs against.

Last week against the Jags, I'm sure their main defensive focus was on stopping Maurice Jones-Drew which probably opened up things for Garrard. It won't necessarily be the same for the Colts on Sunday night, we'll see.

Last year the two active RBs were Rhodes and Simpson, this is how they did:

Rhodes: 17 rushes for 70 yards (4.1 avg) w/ long of 23, 8 catches for 39 yds w/ long of 12.
Simpson: 4 rushes for 23 yards (5.8 avg) w/ long of 10, 2 catches for 24 yds w/ long of 12.

Colts are in a lot better situation with Addai and Brown, plus Lilja back and a more experienced and improved Mike Pollak. Charlie Johnson hasn't practiced yet which is worrisome, but if misses the game then hopefully the Colts try and protect Dan Federkeil or Tony Ugoh at LT.

Maybe the Titans do a pretty good job of limiting Reggie Wayne, he hasn't scored a TD on the Titans since the first 2006 match-up in October, but it's hard to say for sure when there have been two meaningless December games the last two years so who knows what would have happened. But Finnegan already says he's definitely playing this week, I expect him to play.

I don't expect Nick Harper to play, and their nickel corner Fuller is out for a number of weeks anyways. If the safeties are so busy with playing deep Cover 2 and trying to help cover for the corners, how are they going to defend Dallas Clark and the slot receiver? This bodes well for the Colts imo.

Personally, I think I would line up Garcon out wide to the left in Reggie's spot, let him go one-on-one against Finnegan. Finnegan loves to play physical, wait until he gets 60 minutes' worth of Garcon: Pierre will frustrate him and get into his head like he did to Antonio Rodgers-Cromartie. And Reggie would be out wide to the right, Collie in either slot, and Clark lining up inline. All those guys would attack well at those spots. But that's just an idea I have.

Geo
10-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Looks like Harper will play: (http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/sports/walking-wounded-plan-be-ready-colts)

Cornerback Nick Harper practiced Thursday wearing a protective flak jacket over his injured ribs, and pronounced himself ready to play Sunday night against the Indianapolis Colts.

“I’m gonna go,” Harper said. “I’ve got a little compression of the ribs, but I’m good to go.”
Harper will start the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't finish it. Especially if Garcon can get some shots on him, or he's called to make some tackles, it could re-aggravate the injury. But maybe he'll be able to play with it.

Btw get this, later on in that same article:

Practice squad addition

The Tennessee Titans signed running back Lance Ball to their practice squad after hosting four running backs for visits on Thursday.

Ball played college football at Maryland and spent time last season with the Indianapolis Colts.

“Last year I was there from like the seventh game until training camp this year,” Ball said.

Ball’s claim to fame in Indy came against the Titans in last year’s regular-season finale, as he had an 83-yard rushing game in the Colts’ 23-0 victory.
Unbelievable. Same old Titans.

Definitely expect some trick plays and also expect them to play dirty, as usual.

chad72
10-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Maybe the Titans do a pretty good job of limiting Reggie Wayne, he hasn't scored a TD on the Titans since the first 2006 match-up in October, but it's hard to say for sure when there have been two meaningless December games the last two years so who knows what would have happened. But Finnegan already says he's definitely playing this week, I expect him to play.

I don't expect Nick Harper to play, and their nickel corner Fuller is out for a number of weeks anyways. If the safeties are so busy with playing deep Cover 2 and trying to help cover for the corners, how are they going to defend Dallas Clark and the slot receiver? This bodes well for the Colts imo.

Dallas Clark has caught TD passes in the last 3 games at Tennessee. Expect that to continue. The style of D the Titans play in the secondary when they have a good pass rush gives ample opportunity for TEs and slot wideouts to flourish and do a good job of limiting big plays to the outside wideouts. So, I expect Clark and Collie to have a good day. But if you cannot get to Manning, game over, no matter how good your secondary is. A stellar D-line can make an average secondary look good (2007 NY Giants) and a good secondary look stellar (2008 Titans).

If our pass protection holds up, it does not matter who plays. Plus, Collie and Garcon have that tenacity in their WR blocking that has been long desired in Colts wideouts, something I found missing in Harrison and in Gonzo, from what I have seen. It is our WR blocking that will allow us to run enough.

My biggest concern is 3rd down D with Jennings and Powers starting and Lacey being the nickel back. Being good on 1st & 2nd down does not seem to be enough, all opposition OCs have to game plan for is a hitch or smash route on 3rd & 7 against the WR that Jennings is covering. Kerry Collins is looking forward to picking on Jennings again.:) Hopefully Coyer blitzing throws things off for Kerry Collins, no wonder his record against the Ravens is not that good.

TitanHope
10-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Unbelievable. Same old Titans.

Definitely expect some trick plays and also expect them to play dirty, as usual.

I really don't think there will be many trick plays. In the past, yes, but the talent on the old Titans team wasn't even close to the Colts. Recently, Fisher hasn't been bringing a knife to a gun fight. So I don't think there will be many desperation or trick plays, unless it's an attempt to regain momentum or spark the crowd. But, knowing Fish, nothing's for certain.

*sigh* The Titans are kinda soft this season. It's kinda like Haynesworth was the source of their mojo (Yeah baby! /Austin Powers). Which means Dan Snyder is Dr. Evil.

Geo
10-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Some good reading:

NFL Insider: Peyton the teacher leading new generation of Colts (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-10-07-nfl-insider-peyton-manning_N.htm)
(Peyton driving three hours to Columbus twice a week to work with Gonzo is amazing.)

Garçon, Collie don't miss a beat in Colts' offense (http://www.indystar.com/article/20091009/SPORTS03/910090335/1058/SPORTS03/Gar%C3%A7on++Collie+don+t+miss+a+beat+in+Colts++of fense)

Pierre Garcon: Another Colts receiver on route to greatness? (http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091010/SPORTS/910100324/1002)

Colts defense is 'having fun': Coyer's schemes have everyone flying around from all directions (http://www.indystar.com/article/20091010/SPORTS03/910100334/1058/SPORTS03/Colts+defense+is++having+fun+)

Indianapolis Colts S Bob Sanders: “As long as we don’t have any setbacks, I think I’m going to be cool” (http://indyfootballreport.com/index.php/archives/3903)

Geo
10-10-2009, 11:43 PM
Two players who didn't make the trip to Nashville: Kelvin Hayden and Marlin Jackson.

Two players who did make the trip: Charlie Johnson and ... Bob Sanders.

:eek:

Could we see Bobzilla in action tomorrow night?

Seamus2602
10-11-2009, 10:38 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/2yzn4o0.jpgathttp://i28.tinypic.com/2eyl4q0.jpg

2009 Regular Season - Week 5: Tennessee

Indianapolis Colts

RB: Donald Brown
LT: Tony Ugoh

Current Injuries:

Joseph Addai - RB: Questionable
Charlie Johnson - T: Questionable
Kelvin Hayden - CB: Out
Marlin Jackson - CB: Out
Bob Sanders - S: Doubtful

Tennessee Titans

QB: Kerry Collins
RB: Chris Johnson
FB: Ahmad Hall
TE: Bo Scaife
LWR: Nate Washington
RWR: Justin Gage
LT: Michael Roos
LG: Eugene Amano
C: Kevin Mawae
RG: Jake Scott
RT: David Stewart

LE: Jevon Kearse
UT: Jovan Haye
NT: Tony Brown
RE: Kyle Vanden Bosch
WLB: Keith Bulluck
MLB: Stephen Tulloch
SLB: David Thornton
LCB: Ryan Mouton
RCB: Jason McCourty
FS: Michael Griffin
SS: Chris Hope

PK: Rob Bironas
P: Reggie Hodges
H: Reggie Hodges
LS: Ken Amato
KR: Mark Jones
PR: Mark Jones

Current Injuries:

Nate Washington - WR : Probable
Jason Jones - DT : Questionable
Stanford Keglar - LB : Questionable
Colin Allred - LB : Questionable
Keith Bulluck - LB : Probable
Nick Harper - CB : Questionable
Cortland Finnegan - CB : Questionable
Vincent Fuller - S : Out

Matchup

Both teams are nursing injured secondaries and so this game could turn into a bit of a shoot out.

Pass Offense:

http://i26.tinypic.com/25sssq8.gif

The Titans' secodnary is either going to be their backups or their injured starters (or a combination of both) which means that Peyton Manning should have a lot of fun against the Titans. The key problem the Colts could face will be the battle between Tony Ugoh and Kyle Vanden Bosch. Vanden Bosch is exactly the type of DE that Ugoh doesn't matchup well against (a strong, high motor type). This combined with the fact that the Titans have the best Safety partnership in the NFL could mean the Colts will struggle with the deep ball. Look for the underneath routes and screen passes rather than deep passes. Dallas Clark, Austin Collie and Donald Brown could have big games against Tennessee, especially as the Colts could struggle with the run as well. With the run game underpar, the deep threat gone the Colts will need to get a lot out of the Titans patchwork Cornerbacks. Fantasy Football owners should look more to Dallas Clark than to Reggie Wayne in this one.

Run Offense:

The Tennessee Titans have only allowed 2.8 yards per attempt this season. Of the 4 teams they have played they have played 3 run first offenses. Expect the run game to struggle against Tennessee, especially if Addai isn't at 100%. The only saving grace could be if the Titans clue against the pass early on and the Running Backs take advantage of it. Other than that I can't see much from the Running Game.

Pass Defense:

http://i32.tinypic.com/axff37.gif

Despite the news that Bob Sanders has suited for the game he will probably not play, leaving the Colts without 3 of the 4 starters from last season. With Hayden, Jackson and Sanders all out it means that the Secondary is very inexperienced. The team resigned Chad Simpson to handle Returns so that Rushing can concentrate on actually playing. This, combined with an improved Titans Receiving corp and a very good Offensive Line will cause the Colts a lot of problems. The team need the likes of Jennings and Lacey to step up their games and for the Pass Rush to cause Kerry Collins to make mistakes.

Run Defense:

http://i29.tinypic.com/25po2rq.gif

The Colts Run Defense was much improved against Arizona and Seattle but now faces a real test in Tennessee. The Titans have the 2nd best run per attempt average in the league and a Running Back who can turn any play into a Touchdown. The Run Defense needs to keep play the way it has the last two weeks because I don't know whether the Titans defense will be as kind as Miami's was.

Special Teams:

http://i29.tinypic.com/2dcg0hl.gif

This game is closer than the two records will lead you to believe and it could come down to Field Goals and good field position to decide it. The Colts have really need Vinatieri this season but Pat McAfee has shown good moments. The team need Chad Simpson to show that he deserves a spot on the team.

Prediction: Colts - 31 vs Titans - 27

Geo
10-11-2009, 06:38 PM
Per Rotoworld:

Colts declared WR Anthony Gonzalez, QB Curtis Painter, S Bob Sanders, CB Kelvin Hayden, CB Marlin Jackson, RB Mike Hart, LT Charlie Johnson and DL Fili Moala inactive for Week 5 against the Titans.

Titans declared DE Jevon Kearse, WR Dominique Edison, S Vincent Fuller, CB Cortland Finnegan, LB Colin Allred, OT Troy Koprog, WR Lavelle Hawkins and DT Jason Jones inactive for Week 5 against the Colts.

MaxV
10-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Oh man, please tell me our O can continue to play this well the whole season.

They can just march down the field in a minute right now.

TitanHope
10-11-2009, 10:39 PM
GG guys... I need hugs... :(

chad72
10-11-2009, 11:09 PM
The style of D the Titans play in the secondary when they have a good pass rush gives ample opportunity for TEs and slot wideouts to flourish and do a good job of limiting big plays to the outside wideouts. So, I expect Clark and Collie to have a good day. But if you cannot get to Manning, game over, no matter how good your secondary is.

Not just saying I called it, it is just the zone coverage that the Titans play that makes it harder for catches for the outside wideouts. Collie has an amazing awareness of the amount of spacing he needs to have to sit inside or outside those zones in zone coverage that he is soon becoming our version of Wes Welker / older version of Brandon Stokely. Cerebrally, he is ahead of where Garcon was last year as a rookie, IMO because the slot is a much tougher position to play in the NFL than the outside.

MaxV
10-11-2009, 11:20 PM
- I was really impressed with Lacey in this game (except for the dropped INT).
- Tony Ugoh sucked and I believe he was replaced with Federkeil. I hate to say it, but he really looks like a bust.
- This Austin Collie kid, he ain't bad.
- Peyton's taking names. I hope he continues to play this way.
- D was flying around.

Geo
10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
- Great win by the Colts last night. Great team effort, especially in light of the players who couldn't play. Three night road games in four weeks btw, can you believe that? Three primetime games on the road in four weeks. And the Colts have done a stellar job, coming out of all of it and being 5-0 thus far in the season.

- Super job by the defense, what else can you say. They were all over the Titans. Linebackers did a good job tackling and holding their ground against the run. They really did well with their assignments, so well at times that they drew at least two holding calls because a LB was about to stuff their RB in the backfield.

- Rookie corners Jerraud Powers and Jacob Lacey, way to go. They played great, undrafted Lacey is such a find. He made the team thanks to the increased emphasis on coverage, and last night he put forward another example why.

- Although Cato aka Antonio Bethea can't form tackle to save his life, the forced fumble he made with the crown of his helmet against offensive lineman Alge Crumpler was huge. Maybe the play that change the game. Great recovery by Keyunta Dawson too, let's give him some credit.

- The Titans have a very good offensive line and it's tough to get at Collins, which shows how well of a performance the defensive line had. They suffocated the running game and then got in Collins' head.

- Freeney, what a beast. 6 straight games with a sack and that's not counting the 2 sacks against San Diego in the playoffs. 13.5 sacks in the last 12 games. And of course and as usual, it's not just the sack numbers for Freeney, he's a complete terror for offenses whenever he's on the field. And all of this is with offenses completely gameplanning against him, they know he's coming. Bill Cowher said on the CBS pregame morning show that no other DE makes you gameplan against him like Freeney, the guys in the game know the actual truth.

- As a guy with strong fantasy football interest, all I saw last week was how everyone projected Chris Johnson to have a monster day. My ESPN PPR league had him projected for 29.7 points! Stupid **** pissed me off so much last week, it really did, especially as I felt strongly the Colts would keep him in check. Let those idiots swallow 9 carries for 34 yards (3.8 avg), long of 8, and 2 catches for 9 yards.

- Larry Coyer is doing a great job leading this defense. Not only making this a complete defense, but also a creative and complex defense that is ten times better than the vanilla garbage from before. He dialed up some great pressure calls on third downs, even though not all of them worked because the veteran Collins got the ball away. But if not for the two turnovers, the Titans might have scored even less. Great job all around.

- Great special teams coverage too, led by Coach Ray. I can't remember the Colts' coverage teams ever being this good. If only the Colts had Coyer and Rychleski before this season.

- Not the fault of Rychleski is the bonehead Tim Jennings causing the punt return fumble (it hit his shoulder, TJ never had the chance to catch the ball). At least Jennings made the interception to start the second half (very lucky to do it though) and also a great kickoff coverage tackle as the gunner later in the game. But he should be relegated to the 5th cornerback for the rest of the season, he's awful.

- The other Colts turnover was thanks to other inept player, Tony Ugoh as the starting left tackle. He was just about a mess to start the game, culminating to the interception that was completely his fault because he can't give Peyton Manning three freaking seconds to throw the ball. But after that he seemed to play better, although maybe the bigger factors in that improvement were the Colts having Addai to chip his DE and also having Dallas Clark to help him. Ugoh did run-block well at times, including the Addai rushing TD, but that's not new for him. The problem is mental errors in pass protection.

- The offensive line overall had their struggles, especially in pass pro early on and in run-blocking for most of the game. But they did well in some other parts, including in the run, after they got used to the Titans.

- One thing though, the Pollak/DeVan rotating experiment might need to come to and end. I don't know how he's playing overall, but I think this is the third game this season I've seen the offensive line blow protection on a play with DeVan in there and involving him. Of course the Pollak penalties are frustrating, especially the idiotic block in the back penalty which was so stupid.

- Tough running by Addai and Brown last night, too. Joseph Addai caught every single ball his way (10 receptions on 10 targets) and got every yard from those catches, he was huge in moving the chains. I really think he might be the best pass protecting RB in the league. I hope all those idiots - especially in fantasy football - in the offseason who completely wrote him off the face of the Earth are enjoying the **** they have to eat now. Addai has never looked better.

- The receivers did a great job, running routes and blocking. They are a physical complete bunch who sacrifice for the team. Including Dallas Clark who put in another fantastic performance, wonderful catches with his hands and the blocking effort. Look at the effort of Austin Collie. Look at Pierre Garcon, who only caught 1 ball for 9 yard in the entire game, but never gave up as a blocker and as a route runner, not giving up to point out potential coverage quirks for Peyton. They all communicate with Peyton. The only bad thing was the TD Reggie Wayne let slip through his fingers.

- And of course, Peyton was phenomenal. Amazingly accurate, and he's hitting receivers in stride this season better than maybe ever. How about that first TD? They moved him out of the pocket and he delivered it to Reggie perfect. Some of the other throws he was making in the face of the pressure were just awesome. Cherish every play you see him make, this is a golden era.

- Especially with new head coach Jim Caldwell who strives for excellence, as opposed to just not making mistakes.

- That big changing of the guard in the AFC South, which was what all anyone could talk about last year and this summer, was really something.

killxswitch
10-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Garcon had one hell of a block and totally leveled a Titans DB. I dont' know if that is when Harper broke his forearm but it wouldn't surprise me.

chad72
10-13-2009, 10:08 AM
Garcon had one hell of a block and totally leveled a Titans DB. I dont' know if that is when Harper broke his forearm but it wouldn't surprise me.

...I know this for sure, our level of WR blocking will go down. Collie and Garcon have that tenacity about them that it is unseen in Colts history. Garcon is our Hines Ward type of WR with more speed.

Collie is getting closer to a Peyton-like-grasp with the playbook, and is much more ahead of Garcon than Garcon was in his rookie year, IMO. But the fact that went against Garcon is he never got to spend TC with Peyton last year. So, that could be the difference and explain why both of them are taking off at the same time though Collie was drafted a year later.

Now, when Gonzo comes back, every drop or missed WR run block will be magnified unfortunately. Gonzo's biggest advantage will be his mental aspect of the game where he will probably be ahead of Garcon like being at a specific spot even when the route is not for you etc.

I don't think it will be one player alone that will be targetted to be replaced by Gonzo. If it is a 2 WR, 2 TE formation, chances are it will be Wayne and Gonzo.

If it is a 3 WR, 1 TE formation, chances are it will look like this:

The line ups from left to right will be based on situation and match ups:

Wayne, Clark, Collie, Gonzo or Wayne, Clark, Gonzo, Garcon

Geo
10-13-2009, 12:42 PM
I can't wait for Gonzalez to come back. Most important is that he first returns to fully health. The Colts can hold the fort for now, but they are definitely going to need him from November on.

Even more excited that Kelvin Hayden and Bob Sanders will be very likely be back on the field starting with the Rams game, two weeks from now.

UKfan
10-13-2009, 12:44 PM
Hell once Gonzo is back we should just empty the backfield once in a while and get Clark, Wayne, Gonzo, Garcon and Collie all out there...

Excuse me I need to change :) lol

chad72
10-13-2009, 01:47 PM
Hell once Gonzo is back we should just empty the backfield once in a while and get Clark, Wayne, Gonzo, Garcon and Collie all out there...

5 wideout formations without an RB in the backfield is inviting disaster, IMO, especially against blitzing teams in the playoffs. Our RB should always be there during 4 or 5 wideout formations. Especially when Peyton needs an honest play action to be taken seriously, we need the RB no matter what.

Besides, spacing gets more difficult with 5 wideouts. If it is 4 wideouts, a running play run out of it can go to either side with the 2 wideouts blocking on both sides and the RB has enough lanes on either side to make his cut with lesser crowding if the WR blocking holds up. It makes it harder for Ds to guess too.

Yes, it can be done but based on history, I would be surprised if we use it for more than 2 or 3 plays a game ever. Ultimately, Tom Moore and Peyton will decide who to use based on the matchups they feel they can exploit.

UKfan
10-13-2009, 01:58 PM
I was just messing, I would keep the WRs in, but it just would be fun to see all that receiving talent on the field once in a while, maybe a 3rd and 20 or something, basically just say to the other team, cover this!

killxswitch
10-13-2009, 02:07 PM

The problem is that that would take Addai and Brown, who are also playmakers, out of the game completely. While we don't have one single player at WR or RB that is the equal of Marvin or Edge in their primes, the collection of talent we have in total is better than anything I can remember the Colts having. Especially when you add Clark into the mix.

UKfan
10-13-2009, 02:13 PM
I meant to say in general I would keep the RB's in, and I know it is unrealistic, I just think it would be fun to just have 5 receivers running routes with Peyton playing to them, a Madden wet dream lol

Geo
10-13-2009, 02:42 PM
I too have been thinking how cool a 5 receiver (Wayne-Clark-Gonzalez-Collie-Garcon) look would be, that's like the NFL version of Voltron.

Which is to say, the greatest thing ever.

But I would rather go 4 receiver plus Addai, so that Addai can pass protect to help make sure Peyton can hit one of the 4 receivers.

killxswitch
10-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Addai really is a pretty incredible pass blocker.

Geo
10-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Addai is also leading all RBs in the NFL in receptions, with 26.

Tied for 11th overall in receptions in the league for all positions.

Obviously I am loving this, you guys know I am a big fan of passing the ball to the RB. It helps move the chains, makes downs more manageable which allows the Colts to either run or pass.

Geo
10-13-2009, 03:19 PM
This week's Polian Corner (http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=7093a2c4-22b2-4877-8535-cb0cf46be787) includes an honest analysis of Tony Ugoh by Polian, definitely give it a read.

MaxV
10-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Addai is also leading all RBs in the NFL in receptions, with 26.

Tied for 11th overall in receptions in the league for all positions.

Obviously I am loving this, you guys know I am a big fan of passing the ball to the RB. It helps move the chains, makes downs more manageable which allows the Colts to either run or pass.

I am a fan of screen passes for RBs as well and even not designed passes to backs.

Unfortunately, it has also become necessary since our O-Line isn't doing a good job of run-blocking.

Any way to get our 2 stud backs into the 2nd level, they'll make things happen from there.

Geo
10-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Kind of a lame weekend of football, with the Colts not playing and a number of other boring games. Thankfully the Colts are back in action.

It sounds like Kelvin Hayden and Charlie Johnson will definitely be back for this game, and Bob Sanders could be too. (I think he will play this game.) This week the Colts travel to St. Louis.

Obviously the Rams are struggling right now, but the big thing is for the Colts to not turn the ball over. Turnovers can keep a poor/struggling team in the game, and if they're in the game they gain confidence they can pull it off, and you've got a hornet's nest in your lap. Even if the game isn't close, the score could be.

Remember the game against Detroit last year? Two special teams fumbles (one of them was a mistake by the refs but whatever) kept them in the game, such that the score was close (21-21) until the 4th quarter when the Colts took control (finishing 31-21). Look at the Cowboys/Chiefs game two weeks ago. Cowboys turn the ball over 2 or 3 times, and they escape with the overtime win. The season opener against the Jags is another example.

Plus this is accentuated with a Rams defense that is good at creating turnovers, they were last year even before Spagnuolo took over this offseason. They were among the league leaders in forcing fumbles last season, but luck of the ball bouncing, couldn't recover most of them. They're doing a good job of creating turnovers this year. They've got a ballhawk free safety in Otogwe. Leonard Little still creates turnovers, heck he had his first career pick six against the Jags yesterday.

If Spags has some schemes planned, maybe some blitzes, it may catch Peyton and the offense off guard a little bit early on. This is an unfamiliar opponent. Keep that in mind, although I do think/agree the Colts offense will play well and be effective in terms of the game overall.

Same with the defense, I think they will do well too. The Rams deep threat receiver Donnie Avery was either injured or reaggravated a previous injury against the Jags, early in the 2nd quarter. Maybe the Colts don't see him this Sunday, we'll see. Either way, the Rams will have to try and deal with the tenacity and the speed of the Colts.

This is the last road game before a 3-game home stretch, which includes Houston and New England, so this is no time for a misstep and I am sure everyone on the Colts knows that.

chad72
10-20-2009, 01:49 PM
It gave me laughs, not sure Titans fans find it funny.

http://www.rcktwn.com/rallyforrocketown

http://www.musiccitymiracles.com/2009/10/20/1093009/jeff-fisher-went-to-the-rocketown

MaxV
10-20-2009, 02:08 PM
OMG!!!!!!

The second link gives a bunch of responses by Titans fans......and they ain't happy.

killxswitch
10-20-2009, 02:23 PM
Bwa ha ha ha ha ha

Geo
10-21-2009, 06:42 PM
That is the coolest moment ever.

2C6HiSOlquc

Super awesome.

You get your Peyton on, Fisher.

Geo
10-22-2009, 10:43 AM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20091022/SPORTS03/910220391/1058/SPORTS03/Fisher+s+jersey+joke+not+an+issue

Addai a reliable short-yardage man

Colts running back Joseph Addai might have a reputation for being a dancer, but the numbers say he's a basher.

Addai has converted 42-of-53 third-down attempts of 2 or fewer yards for a 79.2 percent rate that is the NFL's best among active players since 2000 (minimum of 25 attempts).

Minnesota's Adrian Peterson is second at 41-of-53 (77.4), followed by Miami's Ronnie Brown at 40-for-53 (75.5) and Kansas City's Larry Johnson at 56-of-75 (74.7).

The Colts are 12-of-15 on third-and-2 or less this season, an 80 percent success rate that trails only Miami's 17-for-20, 85 percent.
Guess we'll always wonder what would have happened if they ran Addai on that 3rd and 2 in San Diego.

Keep up the great work, Joe.

killxswitch
10-22-2009, 10:56 AM
Gosh I wonder if this means he isn't that bad, and that it was actually the crappy line that was the problem.

Addai is not perfect but he's not the dancing nancy that most dumb fans like to think he is. I'd say his biggest problem is how injury prone he is (not much to do about that), followed by his indecision at times, especially when he gets to the 2nd level.

killxswitch
10-25-2009, 08:00 PM
I thought releasing Ed Johnson was a bad idea and this game didn't do anything to change my mind. Dan Muir played well so I can understand wanting him to start. But the depth behind him and Mookie is thin. Eric Foster is smart and does well on passing downs, and Moala will probably eventually be a good player, but right now if one of the starting DTs gets injured we are in trouble.

chad72
10-27-2009, 08:33 AM
I thought releasing Ed Johnson was a bad idea and this game didn't do anything to change my mind. Dan Muir played well so I can understand wanting him to start. But the depth behind him and Mookie is thin. Eric Foster is smart and does well on passing downs, and Moala will probably eventually be a good player, but right now if one of the starting DTs gets injured we are in trouble.

I agree with the lack of quality depth. But then, you have to understand the Colts were playing prevent D in the second half since they were up considerably. That is when Jackson's runs happened. If you saw the first half, you can tell how well we played Jackson. We play another run happy team in the 49ers. We will find out more next Sunday.

Plus, hoarding too many DTs is not going to help much for the special teams' speed since you can only use so many DTs on special teams. Eric Foster has other uses and Moala, with reps, is only going to get better. Moala will never get the reps for him to pan out if Ed was still on the roster. With Muir, I do think we are able to rush the passer better than Ed from the DT position. With Ed, he was a better run stuffer, from what I have seen so far. Muir will pay dividends more against teams like the Texans and Patriots.

Also, with Moala not there yet and Terrance Taylor busting, I am not excluding the possibility of Polian drafting a DT after trading down to the top of the second next year, just a hunch.

killxswitch
10-27-2009, 09:08 AM
After reviewing some of those plays I agree, Ed wouldn't have made a ton of difference versus Jackson in the 2nd half. The Colts stopped playing the run like they were in the 1st half. The DEs were strictly going for the QB, the LBs were playing back in coverage more, etc. Hagler was more the problem IMO as he didn't adjust and wasn't in his gap. Though there is a chance they were playing nickel in which case I don't think Hagler would be in anyway. I didn't notice, honestly.

I think between Silva and Francisco one of them could've been cut before Ed. They're both solid on STs but not irreplaceable. And if Antonio Johnson goes down Muir has to be our only NT. Given how good he was playing next to Johnson I don't want to lose that. I still think either they made a bad decision or there was more to it than they're letting out. You demote an underperforming starter. Bench him, inactivate him for a game, etc. You don't just cut him. They didn't even cut Gilbert Gardner in '06.

MaxV
10-27-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, Chad made a good point regarding having too many DTs on the roster.

Who'll play on ST coverage unit?

killxswitch
10-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Who plays on STs now? I personally have no idea.

Seamus2602
10-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Who plays on STs now? I personally have no idea.

I can't be arsed finding the game footage but I have the tackle numbers.

CB - Jacob Lacey - 4
FS - Aaron Francisco - 4
TE - Jacob Tamme - 4
CB - Tim Jennings - 3
LB - Ramon Humber - 3
SS - Jamie Silva - 3
LB - Philip Wheeler - 2
LB - Clint Session - 2
CB - T.J. Rushing - 2
RB - Chad Simpson - 1
DE - Keyunta Dawson - 1
LB - Jordan Senn - 1
RB - Mike Hart - 1
LB - Freddy Keiaho - 1
SS - Melvin Bullitt - 1

chad72
10-28-2009, 01:54 PM
I can't be arsed finding the game footage but I have the tackle numbers.

CB - Jacob Lacey - 4
FS - Aaron Francisco - 4
TE - Jacob Tamme - 4
CB - Tim Jennings - 3
LB - Ramon Humber - 3
SS - Jamie Silva - 3
LB - Philip Wheeler - 2
LB - Clint Session - 2
CB - T.J. Rushing - 2
RB - Chad Simpson - 1
DE - Keyunta Dawson - 1
LB - Jordan Senn - 1
RB - Mike Hart - 1
LB - Freddy Keiaho - 1
SS - Melvin Bullitt - 1

There is only one D-lineman in it (Dawson) and I'd rather have the solid tackling, hustle and solid coverage over the real big hits a D-lineman like Darrell Reid can provide to a kick returner. Not saying Darrell Reid wasn't good at ST (he was outstanding, on the field and off the field as ST leader). Just saying that we could not afford to have 2 Darrell Reids on STs by any means. Let us not forget Francisco was the ST coverage team leader back in Arizona. I haven't felt this relaxed about our ST kickoff coverage in years.

Now, if we can get our returners going a little more. I did like Chad Simpson showing some aggression during some of his returns on kickoffs. Maybe he can continue that while protecting the ball. Even if it is the 30 yard line and not the 15-20 yard line that Manning starts, I will take it as long as he protects the ball.

killxswitch
10-28-2009, 02:36 PM
I suppose with all the injuries to the secondary cutting Ed Johnson might've been a move they were partially forced to make. In a more ideal situation the smart move would be to demote him, but I guess they just needed the space for Stover. It'll be interesting to see if they re-sign Ed, especially if any of the DTs get injured or even if there is an injury scare. As we found last year it isn't that easy to just plug in a 300 lb. guy off the street.

killxswitch
10-29-2009, 08:22 AM
It's Thursday, time to update this thread for week 8.

Seamus2602
10-29-2009, 10:47 AM
I suppose with all the injuries to the secondary cutting Ed Johnson might've been a move they were partially forced to make. In a more ideal situation the smart move would be to demote him, but I guess they just needed the space for Stover. It'll be interesting to see if they re-sign Ed, especially if any of the DTs get injured or even if there is an injury scare. As we found last year it isn't that easy to just plug in a 300 lb. guy off the street.

I think in the Offseason and the Draft we need to target a really good, dynamic Kick Returner. It would free up 3 Roster spots. If we get a Receiver who is really talented as a Returner then we can cut Baskett, Simpson and Rushing and that gives us more leeway with the 53 man Roster. Currently, for our 5th Wide Receiver, our Kick Returner and our Punt Returner, we use 3 Roster spots out of 53. If we bring in a new, very talented Returner we will then use 1 Roster spot for those 3 positions.

chad72
10-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Two candidates for kick returning wideouts I like - Jacoby Ford of Clemson and Jordan Shipley of Texas. Jordan Shipley will fit our system better, I would think.

Jacoby Ford may go earlier by the time the combine comes around he may wow them with a 4.3 40. Jordan Shipley, with his production in college, will be preferred by BP, I think, and could be available at the end of the first.

49ersfan_87
10-31-2009, 02:17 AM
What's up Colts fans. I'm excited to watch this game. Realistically i don't think we'll win this game but as they say, any given sunday. I'm hoping Alex Smith can give this offense some life after an impressive game against Houston, but we'll see.

What do you guys think about this game? Haven't seen any discussion about it so far.

Seamus2602
10-31-2009, 05:58 AM
49ersfan, the Tampa 2 is relatively weak against 3 things:

1) The Run - Tampa 2 is smaller (even though we are getting bigger in Indy) and this allows teams, especially real power run teams, to run the ball really well.
2) Play Action - The SS and the MIKE drop deep in coverage on pass plays and come into the box on run plays so Play Action can badly get Tampa 2 teams out of position. The Colts cover this by just blitzing Freeney every play. It makes us more susceptable to runs to the Left Tackle but it stops must Play Action problems.
3) The Tight End - There is a small seam where Tampa 2 coverage isn't good. Traditionally, a really good Tight End will be covered by the SS but in the Cover 2 the SS is deep so it puts the Tight End normally in a one on one matchup with either a CB or the SAM.

So you could see big games out of Frank Gore and Vernon Davis. I could see Alex Smith having problems. You O-Line has been iffy at best and piss poor at worst. The Colts get a lot of pressure. The Colts also have Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, probably the two best strip sack artists in the NFL and the 49ers have Alex Smith, a player with real ball security issues.

MaxV
11-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Something needs to be done about this run-blocking.

chad72
11-02-2009, 10:27 AM
My thoughts on the game.

1. SF played nickel and dime all the time challenging us to run knowing that Donald Brown was not going to be there to keep Addai's legs fresh.

2. Manning did not take enough checkdowns, went for the deep ball way too often

3. Mike Pollak, our RG, had one lousy game and was dominated by the 49ers D-line, and was replaced by DeVan in the second half mostly and our protection improved definitely

4. Because our O-line was dominated, Dallas Clark had to be kept back to pass protect instead of running his routes. In the second half, once DeVan was there, DC was roaming, and had more catches

5. We missed Anthony Gonzalez

P.S: Game ball should go to Pat McAfee, he put our ST and D in good spots so that they could get the job done. Our D was exceptional as well, did you know we are #1 in scoring D (ppg allowed)? Let us hope our D stays this way against the Texans and Pats.

Our O-line did better once Kyle DeVan was in the game, and thus DC roaming free allowed Manning to take underneath routes more, that is why we did better in the second half offensively. SF is #6 against the run for a reason, that is why we should give Addai some credit for managing to somewhat carry the entire load despite the O-line getting dominated for at least a half and not getting enough push. Since we were playing from behind, we still had to pass more thus forcing Addai to play more for the pass protection. Addai should get a lot of credit for this game, IMO.

It did not help that Manning did not take enough checkdowns, it was an off day but we needed this close game to increase our focus on sharpness in practice before the next divisional match up.

MaxV
11-02-2009, 11:22 AM
Our team can so dominant right now, it's not even funny.

O-Line is really dragging us down.

I really hope they improve, we are about to enter a big stretch in our schedule.

killxswitch
11-02-2009, 01:45 PM
The OL is pathetic. I hope Pollack gets benched. I didn't think Devann was any better but after yesterday I guess he is. Saturday needs to kick it back up a notch, he is looking like a fat old guy. That may be what he is but he needs to stop playing like it. Those were the worst two yesterday that I saw.

MaxV
11-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Like I've said in another thread, there may come a time when Pollack is a good starter for us, but at this point he's mediocre.

Saturday isn't what he once was.

And as far as Lilja, well, I think he was always much better as a pass-blocker then as a run-blocker. He's just a technically-sound blocker but isn't an overpowering blocker.

chad72
11-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Interesting read of interview with Bill Polian:

http://www.examiner.com/x-4450-Indianapolis-Colts-Examiner~y2009m11d2-Indianapolis-Colts-President-Bill-Polian-Sentiment-against-feigning-injury-not-as-strong-as-before

Dam8610
11-04-2009, 05:12 PM
This week's game could go a long way toward determining the division. The Colts are up against the Houston Texans, who for the first time in their franchise's history have a winning record after 8 games. Thus far they've been getting it done through the air, with Matt Schaub leading the NFL in both passing yardage and TDs (who ever thought they'd see that phrase?), but last week they lost a key component to their attack when TE Owen Daniels went down for the season with a knee injury. Defensively, they haven't gotten much done, they're middle of the pack in scoring defense, they've allowed almost as many touchdowns by air (9) as by ground (11), they allow opponents over 200 yards passing and over 100 yards rushing per game, they don't get much in the way of sacks, but they do manage to force some turnovers, with 6 interceptions and 9 recovered fumbles to their name. I think if the Colts do the following, they'll get to 8-0 with a great chance to not only clinch the division by Week 12, but also start making some breathing room for themselves in the seeding of the playoffs:

When the Colts have the ball

Keep the ball in Manning's hands
When you have an all-time great at QB and are facing a defense that has struggled generating pressure all season, you want to put the ball in his hands. Of course the Texans do have some talent in their front 7, and some LBs that could force some pressure, but Manning has the 2nd best QB rating against the blitz in the NFL. Add to that that the Texans secondary, which is not all that strong, will be defending a receiving corps that seemingly is completely in sync with Manning right now, and it's a no brainer to put the ball in his hands as much as possible.

Double Mario Williams constantly
As I said, the Texans have some talent in their front 7, the most notable of it would be the 2008 Pro Bowler Mario Williams. Charlie Johnson has struggled with Williams in the past, and I can't imagine this matchup will be much easier for him. If I were Tom Moore, I'd have my backs and TEs chipping him as well as shifting protection toward him. I'd also have a few more short drops in the playbook than usual. Keeping him as far away from Manning as possible is priority number one on any dropback.

Use playaction to its fullest advantage
The Texans also have a talented young group of LBs, with the key word in that (in this case) being young. Using playaction will probably get them to bite on the run, giving the receivers the seams they need to get open. They've been doing it well thus far this season, even using it at times to set up quick passes like screens, and it should work better against a young defense with aggressive LBs.

When the Texans have the ball

Get after Schaub
The key to the Texans success on offense this season has been Matt Schaub's success, so getting to him will be key. A good game from Freeney or Mathis would likely mean a great game for the defense. A strip sack or two wouldn't hurt either. :D

Contain Andre Johnson
This is probably the biggest key to success on the defensive side. If I'm Larry Coyer, I put Jerraud Powers on him every play and probably give him over the top help. With no Owen Daniels, taking Johnson away from Schaub might derail their offense.

Shut down the run
They've been relatively good at it this season, especially as of late (minus one long run by Frank Gore), but the defense will sometimes let a bad rushing team get a really good game, and Steve Slaton has given the Colts some problems in the past. As long as Muir and Johnson keep playing the way they have been, it's not too much of a concern, but one that should still be brought up.

killxswitch
11-05-2009, 11:12 AM
When Slaton is carrying, our guys need to put hands and helmets on the ball. He has terrible ball security.

MaxV
11-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Marlin Jackson is out for the Season as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d813fa755&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Well, I hope Powers and Lacy continue playing well.

Seamus2602
11-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Marlin Jackson is out for the Season as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d813fa755&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Well, I hope Powers and Lacy continue playing well.

Especially considering the news that Hayden might miss this weeks game with a concussion. It means that against a pretty explosive passing game we have 2 Rookies and Tim "Fifteen Yard Penalty" Jennings.

chad72
11-06-2009, 12:40 PM
Especially considering the news that Hayden might miss this weeks game with a concussion. It means that against a pretty explosive passing game we have 2 Rookies and Tim "Fifteen Yard Cushion" Jennings.

Fixed it for ya.

BTW, Bob Sanders is out for the season:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4628597

datchapin
11-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Just swinging by to say... here's to an injury free game.

I liked the write-up, dam. Our defense has stepped up as of late. Not saying we'll dominate you guys or anything as you guys are most likely the best offense we'll face this yr. However our first 3 games skewed our stats in a negative way. Our sack # is low, but we've been putting pressure on QB's. Our run defense has stepped up in a huge way. Not that that's a huge drawback on you guys.

Our secondary is also much improved. Obviously Manning will get his, but we shouldn't be shredded to pieces. Our guys @linebacking are young, but they have shown good responsibility on the field. Brian Cushing has been playing more like a veteran than anything.

Anyhoo, whoever wins this game will have to work for it and it should be really entertaining. Again heres to an injury free game.

MaxV
11-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Well, not the prettiest win, but a win nonetheless.

Huge game next week against the Patsies. I hope we can pull it out.

MaxV
11-10-2009, 09:29 AM
I wasn't paying attention. Who started at Guard? Devan or Pollack?

Seamus2602
11-10-2009, 10:46 AM
I wasn't paying attention. Who started at Guard? Devan or Pollack?

Kyle DeVan started and they rotated.

MaxV
11-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Both are kinda mediocre though. I hope our O-Line plays well against Pats. They need to step up.

UKfan
11-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Regardless of the result tonight, this team has no chance of winning a superbowl IMO. In the draft, once again we have to address the chances, we are being dominated on both sides of the ball there.

MaxV
11-15-2009, 10:02 PM
We need a stop here.

MaxV
11-15-2009, 10:13 PM
Why???!!!

Wow, that's just extremely stupid by Peyton.

UKfan
11-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Man, this game hasn't been as close as the score indicates, and we are down 10...

D-Unit
11-15-2009, 10:44 PM
Man! Congratulations guys! What a comeback! Made for an exciting evening of NFL action! Sweet! I was cheering for you guys to make a comeback... if not for any other reason than to see a good game. Peyton is the MAN!

UKfan
11-15-2009, 10:46 PM
How did we steal that one, I still don't understand it. We sucked for most that game.

MaxV
11-15-2009, 10:49 PM
WHAAAAAAAAATTTTTT!!!!!!!!

What a job by the Defense in the end.

Mathis = MONEY!

Why can't the O-Line block the way they did in the end all the time?

killxswitch
11-15-2009, 10:55 PM
AH HA HA what a comeback!!!

RagingColt
11-15-2009, 11:01 PM
WOW! Don't believe what just happened tonight. Hoodie looked like the rookie head coach with some bum calls tonight. A hell of a play by Bullit on 4th down. Colts now have a 3 game lead over the Pats, effectively 4 with tie breaker and a 2 game lead over all others at least in the AFC.

TitanHope
11-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Congrats on the win guys!

Belichick's new nickname should be Belichoke. :D

chad72
11-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Well, I am sure we have all done this, imagining scores. I have always dreamed when I was a teenager that I would hit the winning shot in a game or something like that, every person probably has done that.

I had imagined Peyton being in an SB with 4 mins. to go with the score being 21-34 and pulling off a last 10-second win on a 4th & goal to make it 35-34 Colts. I never thought it would come in the regular season against the Pats. If I am right, Staubach, captain comeback, did that against the Redskins in one game that the Cowboys won 35-34 in similar fashion.

Chew on this:

2003 Pats-Colts game in Indy - afternoon game
2004 Pats-Colts game in NE - Thursday night game for SB winner, opening night
2005 Pats-Colts game in NE - MNF
2006 Pats-Colts game in NE - SNF
2007 Pats-Colts game in Indy - 4:15 p.m. ET on CBS
2008 Pats-Colts game in Indy - SNF
2009 Pats-Colts game in Indy - SNF

Ever since they moved the Pats-Colts game to MNF or SNF, the Colts have always won. Weird, huh? Let us keep it that way, on MNF or SNF, shall we :-)? I doubt NBC lets anyone else take that SNF game away.

The Unseen
11-16-2009, 08:19 AM
You *******. Why must you always win. ****.

:D

MaxV
11-16-2009, 04:11 PM
We finally got a good game from our O-Line. They were run-blocking effectively in this game, especially at the end. I hope it's a sign of things to come.

This wasn't our best game, but we still beat a great team.

On Defense, well I certainly wasn't happy with their performance in the first half, but they definitely picked it up in the 2nd half.

Job
11-16-2009, 05:09 PM
We finally got a good game from our O-Line. They was run-blocking effectively in this game, especially at the end. I hope it's a sign of things to come.

This wasn't our best game, but we still beat a great team.

On Defense, well I certainly wasn't happy with their performance in the first half, but they definitely picked it up in the 2nd half.

Let's not get our hopes up too much, part of it was the Patriots' D-line being exhausted with two players going down and just not being very good to start with.

killxswitch
11-17-2009, 08:27 AM
Let's not get our hopes up too much, part of it was the Patriots' D-line being exhausted with two players going down and just not being very good to start with.

Agreed. The line looked decent for once but it wasn't against anything close to top competition. We'll see how they do vs. the Ravens.

Seamus2602
11-17-2009, 04:45 PM

Not very good with to begin with? They have the best NT in football.

Seamus2602
11-17-2009, 05:47 PM
If you ever feel that there should be a reason that fans shouldn't vote on the Pro Bowl, how do you feel about the idea that Bob Sanders, who played two games and then went on IR, is currently 3rd in AFC Strong Safety voting, Mike Pollak, the player who played terribly and was then benched, is currently 3rd in AFC Guard voting and Adam Vinatieri, the player who has been injured for basically the entire year, is currently 1st amongst AFC Kickers?

How the hell is Pollak ahead of Lilja? Personally I feel Lilja actually is playing at a Pro Bowl standard.

Job
11-17-2009, 05:48 PM
So what about the rest of the line.

Job
11-17-2009, 05:48 PM
If you ever feel that there should be a reason that fans shouldn't vote on the Pro Bowl, how do you feel about the idea that Bob Sanders, who played two games and then went on IR, is currently 3rd in AFC Strong Safety voting, Mike Pollak, the player who played terribly and was then benched, is currently 3rd in AFC Guard voting and Adam Vinatieri, the player who has been injured for basically the entire year, is currently 1st amongst AFC Kickers?

How the hell is Pollak ahead of Lilja? Personally I feel Lilja actually is playing at a Pro Bowl standard.

The average NFL fan is ********.

7-11
11-18-2009, 02:47 AM
That Mike Pollak thing is unbelievable! The only conceivable reason i can come up with is that he has the biggest family on the planet.

killxswitch
11-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Not very good with to begin with? They have the best NT in football.

That's debatable. And furthermore both their starting ends and several starting LBs were out of the game. They doubled Wilfork and the rest was "easy". They still blocked NFL players well so there is some hope. I also liked the playcalling more, running more on 1st down rather than on 2nd down after a failed pass. But we will see how they do vs. the Ravens. Devann appears to be an upgrade over Pollak.

And I agree Pro Bowl voting is enormously stupid. I'm glad the fan vote is only 1/3. It should probably be less.

chad72
11-19-2009, 02:31 PM
I haven't seen him post lately. What is Geo up to?:)

Philliez01
11-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Alright so we got the Ravens up next. Another pretty great defense to go against but a shaky offense. Thankfully Mark Clayton (their #2) has been pretty inconsistent but seeing Watson do well against our defense worries me when you think of Todd Heap.

But the pass offense, even though Flacco is looking like a real NFL QB as opposed to a game manager, isn't what we are frightened about. It's the dreaded running game with a three-headed monster of Ray Rice, Willis McGahee and Le'Ron McClain.

We know what McGahee can do though his carries continue to dwindle as Ray Rice emerges as a potential top-flite RB in the NFL. Rice is sort of like a slower MJD with not as good hands (don't tell me how many catches Rice has, he isn't that versatile) and that pounding style of rushing can hurt Indy. My main concern is what Rice does to the DL.

Another concern is hoping the OL can continue protecting Manning and providing the occasional hole for Addai, Brown or Simpson. DeVan again will need to step up.

chad72
11-21-2009, 09:47 PM
I am really surprised a lot of teams have not tried blitzing Manning with his younger wideouts being covered one-on-one as much. They have done so in bits and pieces but I think the Ravens will test Garcon and Collie in one-on-one matchups giving safety help to Wayne and Clark. They will find out how the young guys do well as hot reads in blitzing situations. Based on the last game, Garcon is not a certainty in slants and hot reads, IMO. Plus, if we go with 2 TEs and 2 WRs, this is a game where the 2nd TE, Gijon Robinson, may get some wide open catches if Manning recognizes him quickly enough in a blitz situation where they want DC to roam free. They have seen 2 consecutive games where Addai has done enough damage with checkdowns in the red zone, so they will have a man on Addai and take a chance with Gijon Robinson hoping that he won't get enough separation fast enough from the line of scrimmage for Manning to checkdown to him.

If they play nickel and dime coverage throughout the game like the Pats did with at least 5 DBs in the game, Manning will eventually pick them apart. I expect the Ravens to blitz and not give Manning time to exploit their secondary, high risk but high reward too if the young wideouts do not step up.

Your thoughts??

Job
11-21-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't know. Blitzing Manning is usually a bad idea unless you can successfully get to him in 2-3 seconds. He recognises is too well.

Philliez01
11-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Uh greed w/ Job. It's not a bad idea at all, but Peyton has adapted pretty well to the blitz and usually you have to sacrifice closer coverage of Dallas Clark. I do agree though with chad on everything else.

The Ravens will do everything they can, obviously, to make the Colts beat 'em in the running game. The Colts weakness is anything having the word "run" in front of it. Kyle Devan is going to have to step up, like I mentioned earlier, and Charlie Johnson will have to continue playing solid. This will be another big test, the first being Wilfork, for the crew.

The interior DL is going to face a test as well. The Ravens OL, namely Ben Grubbs, is a pretty solid unit (though I'm not sure how Gaither is doing post-injury) so we are going to have to see if they can get any push up the middle.

Seamus2602
11-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Same old story. Santi looking really good, 4 cathes, 60 yards, a couple of really good blocks and then he gets hurt.

Philliez01
11-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Halftime:

14: Colts
12: Ravens

Manning has made some pretty good passes, per usual, but has thrown 2 INTs in the first half. Ravens D has been pretty solid but Addai had a few nice runs to close out the 2nd quarter before a TD run. While the running game is still not we want, there has been some minor improvement as of late.

Tom Santi has stepped up in a Gijon Robinson role but got drilled on a good catch across the middle. He took a knee on the sideline so yeah, we'll see what happens there. A shame too, he was looking real good.

Austin Collie made a great catch but besides that nothing much. Garcon had an amazing long ball got a tough first down inside the 15 as he continues to improve. Dallas Clark has been covered as we expected (though made a great one-handed catch) and Reggie Wayne had a few tough catches.

Ravens going with short screens to Ray Rice and underneath routes. Tim Jennings has been very good on Derrick Mason.

killxswitch
11-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Tim Jennings has been very good on Derrick Mason.

Boy that didn't last huh?

Philliez01
11-22-2009, 08:22 PM
Boy that didn't last huh?

Nope, the first half he looked great. Was right on Mason and even helped out tackling Rice on a screen. Then the wheels fell off.

Job
11-22-2009, 08:43 PM
It is never a good sign when your corners are better at tackling than your linebackers. This is what caught my attention at some point in the game.

killxswitch
11-23-2009, 08:36 AM
It is never a good sign when your corners are better at tackling than your linebackers. This is what caught my attention at some point in the game.

Our LBs (Brackett included) try too much arm and shoulder tackling. They should have Lacey run a tackling drill in practice, he knows how to grab a leg and upend a guy.

Philliez01
11-23-2009, 11:25 AM
So, now that we can soak in another Colts win; let's take a quick look back at the Baltimore Ravens game. As we all know, it was another pretty ugly win but a win nonetheless to get us to 10-0. However, we must take positives and negatives from this game.

The Positives

Blitzing
Lookie here, the Indianapolis Colts are actually blitzing! As we saw last week and now a bit more this week, Larry Coyer isn't afraid to incorporate some blitzing for the Colts. Seeing the Colts bring the house, rushed Joe Flacco into some incompletions that turned out to benefit the team. I'm pretty pumped for that.

Pierre Garcon
Garcon started the game off very good as he was on the receiving end of a 66 yard play in the first quarter en route to 6 catches, 108 yards (team high). But Garcon had plays, that I'd rather highlight. The first one being the big hit he took from Ray Lewis, that wasn't even a first down but showed something. He showed toughness, holding onto the ball and getting right back (even yelling to Ray-Ray). I don't approve of the smack talk, but it's good to see a Colts player take a big hit like that and get right back up. His bigger play was getting a WR screen that led to a first down that got the Colts inside the 5-yard line.

Tom Santi
Drafted out of Virginia in the 2008 NFL Draft, we haven't seen much of Santi in regular season action due to injury and being below Dallas Clark and Gijon Robinson on the depth chart. Hell, I even liked Jacob Tamme more than him. However, Santi was targeted frequently on Sunday and took some big hits. Maybe this is a new young wrinkle to the offense or a one-game occurrence. However.....good job Tom Santi.

Gary Brackett
While he isn't a superstar, I've always liked Gary Brackett. Maybe it's the Rutgers connection but while he still isn't a good tackler, he had two big plays that changed the game. The first one was a HUGE stop on Willis McGahee at the goal line which eventually led to a Cundiff FG as opposed to 7 points. The second one, was a big INT off Flacco that essentially won us the game.

Pat McAfee
Great hang-time. Love it.

Winning
A win is a win, no matter how close or how sloppy one played. I'd rather win a game like this than lose one.

The Negatives
Now, we gotta look at the negatives. There are plenty of things the Colts need to keep working on. Some were only seen on Sunday while some have been long-term issues.

Tom Santi
While I was proud of Santi's performance, he almost cost us the game. First, after a big reception (and going for a TD), Santi was helicopter'd (think Sage Rosenfels last year) and fumbled the ball inside the 10. The second was a critical offsides call which could've given the Ravens a chance at a comeback (though there were only :20 left). Gotta stop those mistakes if you want to keep in the lineup.

Random Reverse
For a team that predicates itself off precision and consistency, I do wonder why they sent Garcon on a reverse. The reverse cost us 7 yards at midfield and this led to a FG. Who knows if it actually played a big role in costing the Colts a TD but I was shaking my head about how poorly executed it was.

Tackling
Still got an issue with tackling. As Job said, when Tim Jennings (or any CB) can tackle better than your LB'ers; it's a cause for concern. That's what's happening with Indy. While it's not as anemic as it was before; the arm tackling is enough to make you want to pull your hair out. Ray Rice started eating away at the defense and while the injuries hurt, this is getting old.

Options After Clark
This is where Gonzo's return will be seen the most. The past two weeks we've seen the Patriots and Ravens target Dallas Clark more extensively. If you haven't noticed, the Colts haven't been able to get much going in the intermediate range besides Reggie Wayne. Garcon is mostly for deep-balls (and screens) and the same goes with Addai. Getting Gonzo going across the middle will make this offense so much more dangerous but it still sucks to see the team stall out a bit due to the coverage on Clark.

MaxV
11-24-2009, 10:08 PM
New Polian Corner is out. Very interesting.

http://www.colts.com/sub.cfm?page=article7&news_id=eba01786-00e1-44f8-a234-bf15b4eee74d

Q: Is there any truth to the rumor that safety Bob Sanders could be released or traded at the end of his contract?
A: First of all, his contract is not up for another three years. There's no way we would cut Bob Sanders unless he's completely incapable of playing, and I don't think that that's the case. I think he'll be back better than ever as the saying goes next summer. I see no situation where we would cut him. Trade? There's an old saying, 'Don't ever trade anybody who can help you.' I think Bob Sanders can help us a lot (laughing), so it would have to be a blockbuster offer to even consider it. I don't see any chance that either thing could happen. I think Bob's back with us, as I say, better than ever and in a good frame of mind – whole and healthy and ready to go.

killxswitch
11-25-2009, 08:44 AM
Polian is either stupid or thinks we're stupid. Sanders will not be back and better than ever. He may be able to come back and contribute (I doubt it) but his best year was and will always be 2007.

chad72
11-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Polian is either stupid or thinks we're stupid. Sanders will not be back and better than ever. He may be able to come back and contribute (I doubt it) but his best year was and will always be 2007.

...I'd showcase a healthy Sanders playing well for half a year and then trade him, IMO. That is the best way we can get something in return for him.

Our quality safety depth is still shallow after Bullitt. We need to draft a good safety in the 2010 draft and let him learn for a few games before we can entertain trade offers. A combination of a rookie safety learning for a few games and a possibly healthy Sanders for half a year will be the ideal option for us to get some trade value. Isn't the trade deadline sometime after the 4th or 5th game?

MaxV
11-25-2009, 04:30 PM
I might be in a minority, but I don't think Bob is finished.

And yes, I'm still holding out hope that he can return and be the dominant force he was during his DPOY days.

MaxV
11-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Chris Polian is promoted to VP/GM role.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4693394

He better be as good as his father.

MaxV
11-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Freeney out vs. Texans.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4696309

Damnit. It doesn't sound like he will be out too long, but we certainly could use him vs. Houston.

MaxV
11-29-2009, 08:35 PM
Nice win. We started out terrible, but picked it up when we needed to.

Good day running the ball with Addai and Brown. And how about that TD run by Simpson?

Chad's a keeper. I hope we get him more touches.

Job
11-29-2009, 10:17 PM
I like him as a running back. He's a terrible kick returner though.

MaxV
11-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Do we have a player on our roster that isn't terrible at KR?

Job
11-29-2009, 11:25 PM
of course not. Have we ever had one?

killxswitch
11-30-2009, 08:56 AM
of course not. Have we ever had one?

Terrence Wilkins was good but had Purnell's blocking scheme. I still think Rushing should be doing all returns. I don't think any returner would have consistent success with the way our STs (don't) block.

TitanHope
12-06-2009, 04:34 PM
Congrats on the win today guys! Hate getting swept by ya'll, but ya'll are some kind of awesome this year. Good luck the rest of the season, and possibly even going for perfection! :)

killxswitch
12-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks TH. Good luck to you guys as well. The division is a lot more interesting when VY and Johnson are playing well.

chad72
12-07-2009, 12:47 PM
So far, as of game 12, these are the positives and negatives that I like about the state of the Colts:

Positives:

Top of the list is our running game - it is improving game by game and if we meet the Chargers again, which I think we will do, it will be the running game that will win it for us.
Garcon is holding on to hot read / quick slant passes, that is a big HUGE improvement that will serve us well against blitzing teams in the playoffs. Garcon's upside is scary for other teams. Manning just loves any WR lined up on his right, huh?
Our run D and goal line stands, it is easier to throw for a TD against this Colts D than to punch it in from close, IMO. But let us not get that secret out.
League leading 51% 3rd down O
We don't make too many mistakes to beat ourselves, and that has been a sign of a well coached team there, props to Caldwell.

Negatives:

Now, Alex Smith and Vince Young have had a 2 minute drill at the end of a half to march their teams down for a TD. I flat out do not like that. A good passing team that can stop our O just enough does not have drops like Nate Washington did and will make us pay for it. Let us not forget Alex Smith and the 49ers went back to their huddled offense in the second half and I wondered why they did not do the shotgun more often. Brady went shotgun a lot and put up 34 on us.
I still have issues with Jacob Lacey on slants, the more the wideouts, the more Lacey will be tested and more the film teams will have on those slants.
Once in the Seahawks game, once in the Titans game, we have lost 2 onside kick recoveries. At some point, a team trying to mount a comeback, instead of kicking it off, will go for an onside kick maybe right after a half and it might lead to a change in momentum in a close playoff game.
3rd down D is still not at an acceptable level. I will take 40% over 50% any day but hovering around 50% is not going to cut it in close games.

killxswitch
12-14-2009, 02:26 PM
If Geo is gone we need to get a new Team Leader that can keep this place going a bit more.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
We need a taller corner to match up against a guy like brandon marshall. Hopefully Vincent Jackson and the rest of San Diego's tall guys dont have their way with us like Marshall.

RagingColt
12-14-2009, 08:03 PM
If Geo is gone we need to get a new Team Leader that can keep this place going a bit more.

Agree. Geo hasn't been on since like October.

Sounds like anyone who is remotely gimpy won't play vs. the Jags. Secondary and Diem/Johnson on the o-line are really banged up. Makes ya wonder where we get enough able bodies to play on Thursday. Anyone else actually think Manning and the starters actually play the whole game? I doubt it very much.

MaxV
12-14-2009, 09:51 PM
I don't think our starters will play the whole game either.

I expect to see A LOT of Mike Hart.

The Unseen
12-17-2009, 10:19 PM
Good game.

MaxV
12-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Another come from behind victory.

Defense didn't play great, but they were resting some starters.

Excellent game from Foster.

Philliez01
12-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Finally got to see a game (haven't seen Indy in action, sans RedZone since the Baltimore game).

A few things I've noticed:

The Running Backs are improving substantially. I'm not talking about the running game, I actually mean the running backs overall play. Addai isn't necessarily having a "revival" of his rookie campaign, but even though he struggled a lot tonight; I am liking how's he running. Maybe it's just me. Hart had a nice pick-up that resulted in a first down and HOW ABOUT THAT CHAD SIMPSON!? A KICK OFF RETURN?!?!?

I love Peyton. 'Nuff said.

On the ground, the Colts did limit MJD a bit. That draw play didn't look good in the 4th but I think it was an improvement over previous encounters. Sims-Walker is a great WR and it's hard to contain him but there was some struggles. Secondary has done OK when you consider the injuries to Hayden, Jackson, Sanders so I can't fault them too much but I am nervous if there's a second encounter with NE.

It's a good game to win. I was very confident throughout the game that the Colts could pull it out. Winning is winning and it's sweet.

killxswitch
12-22-2009, 09:36 AM
Here come the Jets. I am not worried about Sanchez or Edwards, I think our D will limit them just fine. I'm not even that worried about Jones and Greene running it down our throats. I am most concerned about the Jets' blitz getting to Manning enough that Caldwell pulls him from the game. I'm sure that will be Ryan's strategy even if it means a couple late hit penalties.

RagingColt
12-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Agree with ya Kill. Don't think Manning and Co. play the whole game this Sunday. Powers is still out but Gonzo and Brown did practice on Monday. Maybe we get them back this week.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Gonzo placed on IR

MaxV
12-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Damnit. I was really hoping to go undefeated.

How the heck do you give up a kickoff TD to a freaking backup QB?

Oh well. Now we can concentrate on trying to win the SB. I hope we can get it done.

RagingColt
12-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Turned the game off after Painter fumbled . . . Yikes that looked bad! Hadn't quit watching a Colts game in years . . . Let's hope they get everything back in order by the middle of Jan . . I'm sick of watching 1 and done deals with this team.

chad72
12-29-2009, 02:39 PM
A friend of mine that is a big Pats fan told me that he felt that the Patriots of 2007 almost squeaked through the playoffs barely based on the momentum of their undefeated season. Though they were playing playoffs Ds, except for maybe 1 divisional round game against the Jaguars, their offense was not as dominant or sharp as it was in the regular season. It almost seemed like there was enough of their intensity drained offensively in the pursuit of a perfect regular season. They just were not sharp in the Chargers AFCCG or in the Super Bowl offensively, in fact it was their experienced but older D that kept them in those games. Credit does need to go to the Ds that they were facing but based on how the entire year went, a little more was expected of the Patriots than scoring 21 and 14 points in the AFCCG and Super Bowl against the Chargers and the Giants, IMO.

If there was any element of truth to that, the end of perfection could serve as a test of character of our players' veteran leadership and could help them re-charge their batteries. People think that winning the SB would be the only way they can make up for giving up on the perfect season so timidly but they are wrong. They were never related to each other in the first place, so one would not make up for the lack of the other whatsoever. I expect this team to play loose knowing they have only 1 thing to play for now. The key however is the younger players, they are not used to stopping their momentum on a dime and resume it later in the playoffs. All the healthy younger players should get playing time - especially Collie and Brown. It does not make up for the disappointment caused by the decision from the GM and coaching staff but I sure would welcome a Thursday night opener in Indianapolis for the defending SB champion, maybe a Manning Bowl II.:)

Just trying to stay positive amid all the negativity floating around right now to get through this week.:)

killxswitch
12-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Polian sucks but I am proud of the players. If anyone can regroup and focus on the SB it's these guys.

MaxV
01-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Guys, I've created the Playoff thread.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37739

killxswitch
01-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Guys, I've created the Playoff thread.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37739

Glad to see you've been named Team Leader Max. I wonder what the heck happened to Geo. But oh well, maybe this place will show some signs of life again.

MaxV
01-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Glad to see you've been named Team Leader Max. I wonder what the heck happened to Geo. But oh well, maybe this place will show some signs of life again.

Thanks man. I, along with Dam, have actually been a Team Leader for awhile.

Geo hasn't posted since October, while Dam hasn't posted since November. I hope everything is cool with both of them. Both are awesome posters.

killxswitch
01-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks man. I, along with Dam, have actually been a Team Leader for awhile.

Geo hasn't posted since October, while Dam hasn't posted since November. I hope everything is cool with both of them. Both are awesome posters.

Oh. I guess I'm just not in the loop, woops. Dam is on another board I post on but hasn't been there much either, he must just be busy.