PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Discussion Thread

Brothgar
09-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Week 1 against New Orleans. Am I crazy for thinking we MIGHT have a chance in this one?

- Pierre Thomas is not playing due to injury. Which should help us by forcing Reggie Bush, a player who isn't exactly known for charging up the gut, to start making our soft underbelly of a D-Line shall we say less exposed.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/09/pierre-probably-wont-play/

Schwartz is more than familiar with the defensive coordinator Stafford and the offense will be matched with: 19-year coaching veteran Gregg Williams.

Schwartz worked with Williams in Tennessee, beginning in 1999, when Williams was the defensive coordinator.

“I had just moved from Baltimore and had spent about 10 years of being in the right place at the wrong time, the wrong place at the right time, and the wrong place at the wrong time, (when I) got to Tennessee as Greg’s quality control coach in 1999," said Schwartz. "We went on a Super Bowl run and I happened to be in the right place at the right time.”

The challenging thing about coaching against Williams in Week 1 of the regular season will be anticipating what he is going to bring from a defensive standpoint.

Following his time with Tennessee, Williams spent three seasons in Buffalo as a head coach before moving on to a long tenure with the Washington Redskins. Then he made a one-year stop at Jacksonville in 2008.

“When you have a new coordinator or coordinator come into a team for the first time, there’s uncertainty,” said Schwartz.

“Is it going to look exactly like it looked in Jacksonville last year? Is it going to look like what he did with the Redskins? Should we go back to Buffalo? Should we go back to Tennessee? It makes a little air of uncertainty.”

Schwartz compared the situation to Lions Offensive Coordinator Scott Linehan.

“Where do you go to see exactly what our offense is going to look like?” he said. “Do you go to Miami? Do you go to St. Louis? Do you go back to Minnesota? Anything you can do to keep that uncertainty alive and hold those cards close to your vest is beneficial for you.”

http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=489680

Unfortunately the 4 week suspension on Charles Grant and Will Smith isn't going to start this week which would have helped us alot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/07/saints-planning-to-play-smith-and-grant-sunday/

But this should be a high scoring affair with the Saint's D not stellar and the Lions D well the Lion's D.

bigredballer
09-09-2009, 01:50 PM
In New Orleans.... I think the Saints get over 40 and the Lions don't get over 25....

Not this week.

tblain1
09-09-2009, 02:40 PM
In New Orleans.... I think the Saints get over 40 and the Lions don't get over 25....

Not this week.

And how to rookie QBs usually fair starting in week 1 games? I guess Ryan did alright last year but I can't remember who he played.............oh yeah.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
09-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Jamaal Brown is also not playing which is very good. Two good breaks there, but Brees still looked great in the preseason without Brown.

New Orleans is at home, and they are going to put up points even though our D is improved. Greg Williams is going to help NO tremendously IMO. They have some talent on D. Hope we keep it within 10.

Calvin & Kevin
09-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Jamaal Brown is also not playing which is very good. Two good breaks there, but Brees still looked great in the preseason without Brown.

New Orleans is at home, and they are going to put up points even though our D is improved. Greg Williams is going to help NO tremendously IMO. They have some talent on D. Hope we keep it within 10.

It's not like the Lions have some great pass rush which is just gonna feast on whoever plays for Brown... chances are their backup can still get the job done against our DL.

I'm also not convinced our overall D is all that improved... I think they are improved in name value, improved on paper, but they still got pushed around quite a bit in the preseason. If we're relying on veteran additions and "they didn't show everything in the preseason," well that's exactly where we were last year at this time. Anyway, they could be quite a bit better and still be among the worst in the league.

I am just hoping we don't give up three TD drives in the first quarter. As for the overall game, I am expecting the Saints to score around 40.

As for Stafford and the offense, if they can move the ball some, lead a couple of touchdown drives, limit the turnovers to 3 or less, and stay in the game into the third quarter, I call that a successful outing.

Saints 38, Lions 17

Xiomera
09-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Week 1 Prediction

Saints 31
Lions 20

Prowler
09-10-2009, 08:00 AM
New Orleans-38
Lions-17

which i just scrolled up and i have similar thoughts as calvin & kevin. drew brees isn't going to be scared of our new defense.

Iamcanadian
09-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I have a strong feeling this game will be a complete blowout, anything less is a success for Detroit. Stafford hasn't seen a pro defense using all its tools to confuse a QB. During the exhibition season, all he saw was vanilla defenses. He could easily throw 3 interceptions and that will be suicide against New Orlean's offense. Brees could also have all day to throw the ball unless we suddenly have a pass rush which I seriously doubt. We don't match up well with any team that has a star QB which New Orleans has. It could get ugly very quickly.

45-10 New Orleans

Remember Peyton Manning went 3-13 in his rookie year with a far better team than we have.

Brothgar
09-11-2009, 03:38 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/11/leagues-reaction-to-starcaps-ruling-focuses-on-disparity/

Charles Grant and Will Smith both suspended but are they suspended for this game? If so I think the game will be alot closer than people think and the Lions may actually have a chance.

Flyboy
09-12-2009, 12:52 AM
No, they are not suspended for Week One. This game scares the crap out of me - good luck to you guys, but I'm hoping for a win with no injuries for any teams.

WMD
09-13-2009, 03:55 AM
No, they are not suspended for Week One. This game scares the crap out of me - good luck to you guys, but I'm hoping for a win with no injuries for any teams.
That's exactly the opposite of what I'm hoping for.

P-L
09-13-2009, 08:21 AM
I just don't see it. Prediction:

New Orleans - 38, Detroit - 16

WMD
09-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Saints - 27
Lions - 13

bored of education
09-13-2009, 11:52 AM
go Stafford!

Xiomera
09-13-2009, 12:31 PM
go Stafford!

He's looked OK to start.

Can anyone out there explain why coordinators think a pitch play is a good idea on 3rd and 1?

Kevin Smith lost 4 yards on the play.

Pitch plays never ******* work. The runner has to run 6 yards to even reach the line of scrimmage!

Scotty D
09-13-2009, 12:49 PM
TD LIONS ON fourth and 1 YEAAA BABY

Xiomera
09-13-2009, 12:49 PM
He's looked OK to start.

Can anyone out there explain why coordinators think a pitch play is a good idea on 3rd and 1?

Kevin Smith lost 4 yards on the play.

Pitch plays never ******* work. The runner has to run 6 yards to even reach the line of scrimmage!

OK, I'll eat my words after the touchdown, but I remain faithful to my opinion that pitch plays are generally stupid.

Scotty D
09-13-2009, 12:51 PM
OK, I'll eat my words after the touchdown, but I remain faithful to my opinion that pitch plays are generally stupid.

I think something went wrong on that play. Linehan gave stafford the death glare right after.

Eric King looks really good.

detroitsports
09-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Stafford won the job because Culpepper played so conservatively right? Then why has the play calling been so conservative the entire first half?

Scotty D
09-13-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm so pissed they took away the Stafford TD to Calvin. What a joke!

Brodeur
09-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Ernie Sims is terrible.

Go Blue
09-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Do the Lions play defense at all? I mean I knew that they weren't good but come on! That was pitiful.

I liked a lot of things I saw from Stafford but he really need to learn that he cant force some of those throws. Two of his pics came where he was trying to muscle a throw in some where it shouldn't have been. The other looked like a wounded duck that he tried to pull back.

Crickett
09-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Do the Lions play defense at all?

You don't go 0-16 simply because your offense sucks.

Scotty D
09-13-2009, 03:49 PM
Buchanon being inactive certainly didn't help. If this helps Stafford in his development then great, but I'm not sure if he needed to be playing in this game.

Flyboy
09-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Good game guys. You didn't pack it in early after going down 14.

Saints-Tigers
09-13-2009, 04:29 PM
This team is only going to get better from here, and I thought they showed a lot of bright spots.

They have a lot of fight in them.

WMD
09-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Eric King looks really good.
I haven't had a chance to watch the whole game.. I checked out the touchdowns, and I think Eric King gave up three of them.

The first one was it looked like Zone coverage for him and Colston just got behind him for the TD. Probably not all his fault though.

The second one, somehow, he let Robert Meachem get in front of him in the end zone on a long pass and had to try and make a play on the ball from behind him.. he pretty much just fell off of him.

The third one, he just got flat out beat by Devery Henderson. When Devery caught the ball he had a good 3 yards on King.

I wouldn't expect much from our CB's though. It's hard to look any kind of good when your DL is as bad as ours.

Scotty D
09-13-2009, 04:52 PM
I haven't had a chance to watch the whole game.. I checked out the touchdowns, and I think Eric King gave up three of them.

The first one was it looked like Zone coverage for him and Colston just got behind him for the TD. Probably not all his fault though.

The second one, somehow, he let Robert Meachem get in front of him in the end zone on a long pass and had to try and make a play on the ball from behind him.. he pretty much just fell off of him.

The third one, he just got flat out beat by Devery Henderson. When Devery caught the ball he had a good 3 yards on King.

I wouldn't expect much from our CB's though. It's hard to look any kind of good when your DL is as bad as ours.

That was after like two pass break ups early in the game. But yeah didn't really try to focus in on anyone in the secondary as the game went on.

Brodeur
09-13-2009, 05:10 PM
Delmas is going to go places. I can't really say I like the rest of the defense though.

SINCE1978
09-13-2009, 08:23 PM
My defensive observations from today ... J. Peterson was sort of quiet and the CB play was suspect. CB is quickly moving up on my wish list from the draft & FA. Maybe even #2 pick but it is shaping up to be a deep crop of DB's in 2010 that we need to take advantage of for sure.

Also, We had NO pressure from the edges on Brees. Granted he is smart and many of his passes are quick release-type throws. As expected, we were exposed up front today against an under manned NO's oline. I worry about the Vikings hogs and AP next week. It could get ugly.

Brightspots: Delmas, Foote & Cohen looked okay to me.

On O ... Good scrap coming back from 0-14. I thought for a moment it was going to 0-21 (haha) Stafford will be good. Where was Pettigrew? Too many penalties. I like Linehan getting the ball to CJ in several creative ways, very big year for him.

Brightspots: Stafford, CJ, Loper & Aaron Brown returning could be a steal for a 6th rounder.

Rome wasn't built in a day boys ;o)

Maybe Next Year Millen2
09-13-2009, 08:25 PM
No pass rush was brutal on our secondary. But they lack alot of talent obviously too other than Delmas. Henry was pick was a nice recovery. Good to see an int by the secondary at least. We need Buchanon for the speed.

Special teams looked good at least. Two big returns and solid tackling although Meachem had two decent returns.

Stafford eh, its a start. Picks were bad and 3rd down % was atrocious. Oline gave up some pressure but at times he just misfired or forced things.

Run O was disappointing. Kevin Smith didn't have that same pop as last year it seemed but of course he had no holes and the interior run game was very poor at times. Definitly left points on the board in the redzone because of that. Also they didn't seem to run off tackle. I'm expecting runs to the right with Gosder and Pettigrew sealing the right side. But of course Pettigrew needs to get on the field more, that is disappointing as well but its only game 1 and he missed alot of the preseason.

About what I expected with New Orlenas offense, but the special teams suprised me and gave us a slight chance.

redbills
09-14-2009, 11:55 AM
How did Ko play?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
09-14-2009, 12:31 PM
Ko didn't play. Marquan Manuel at FS and Delmas at SS. Manuel wasn't very good and Delmas is a rookie but is a missile. Plus no pass rush and Brees slinging it. Problems in the secondary in Detroit but I think that was expected.