PDA

View Full Version : Official Rookie Watch Thread

soybean
09-10-2009, 03:02 AM
Season starts tomorrow. Let's see how they do.

Cicero
09-10-2009, 03:54 AM
Predictions on how long until James Davis is Cleveland's starting RB anyone?

stephenson86
09-10-2009, 04:26 AM
well with mangini in charge itll be when lewis retires

JFLO
09-10-2009, 08:15 AM

I like James Davis a lot this year. I don't know if he'll get a lot of attention early on, but when Jamal Lewis' old body starts to show, he should get carries more and more.

I say he starts once they realize how horrible they actually are, which will be around Week 2.

Seriously though, about Week 12-15.

aNYtitan
09-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Alright, how long do people think before Kenny Britt scores his first TD, and how many he will get this season?

Splat
09-10-2009, 10:27 AM
http://i29.tinypic.com/dggbux.jpg

Jakey
09-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Mike Wallce, WR, will catch a bomb for 60+ yards at some point. Mark it down ;)

DiG
09-10-2009, 10:53 AM

yup agree. james will get some carries but i think jamal starts this year all the way through.

YAYareaRB
09-10-2009, 12:07 PM
The only one really worth watching is Glen Coffee.

Go_Eagles77
09-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Rookies to watch for the eagles:

WR Jeremy Maclin - Will probably see some action in special packages for the eagles and 4 WR sets, might return some punts.

RB LeSean McCoy - #2 RB for the eagles, will probably get somewhere around 10 touches.

FS Macho Harris - Starting at FS over Quintin Demps. He has the next to impossible task of replacing a legend in Brian Dawkins in Philadelphia.

themaninblack
09-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Bengals:
Rey Maualuga- Recently named the starter at SLB, should be a BIG contributor from the get go.

Micheal Johnson- Should get plenty of chances to rush the passer and with the improved interior pass rush, He could make some noise this season.

Bernard Scott- Been very impressive this preseason, worked his way to the #2 RB slot. May not get much love at first but if Benson struggles he should get an opportunity. Could make waves from the beginning in the passing game though.

Chase Coffman- While he has struggled thus far as a blocker, I would not be surprised to see him get some opportunities to do what he does best: catch the football. He is our ONLY legitimate receiving threat at TE with Ben Utecht being placed on IR.

kalbears13
09-10-2009, 03:15 PM
You might be able to say at the end of the year that the Browns 6th round class did more than the 2nd round class.

James Davis, Coye Francies, Kaluka Maiava vs. Mohammad Massoquoi, Brian Robiskie, David Veikune

wonderbredd24
09-10-2009, 03:23 PM

He should be starting now, but I don't think it will be long before he gets significant play time and he saw some of the 1st team reps in preseason.

You're right. Leon Washington rotted on the bench under Mangini.

Coye Francies, CB: Francies was good enough in camp and preseason for the Browns to release both Rod Hood and Corey Ivy and he should be the nickelback from the world go.

Shiver
09-10-2009, 03:25 PM
We desperately need some production from our rookies; our defense doesn't have much going for it right now. But if Jerry, Moore and Sidbury can add a little pizazz we could do pretty good this season.

wonderbredd24
09-10-2009, 03:26 PM
You might be able to say at the end of the year that the Browns 6th round class did more than the 2nd round class.

James Davis, Coye Francies, Kaluka Maiava vs. Mohammad Massoquoi, Brian Robiskie, David Veikune

Maiava was a 4th round pick. Our 6th round pick, Don Carey, was scooped by Jacksonville and then put on their IR.

David Veikune is a long term project by virtue of the fact that Mangini is having him learn both ILB and OLB, so it remains to be seen how much he will contribute. I personally think he's going to push Barton for time as the season goes on in the middle. He should also see time as a pass rusher.

Massaquoi won the battle between he and Robiskie for now, but who knows how much he will play since Cribbs and Furrey appear to be ahead of him on the depth chart. Should be interesting. I hope the Browns run 4 WR sets because they have a talented WR group

Gay Ork Wang
09-10-2009, 03:26 PM
He should be starting now, but I don't think it will be long before he gets significant play time and he saw some of the 1st team reps in preseason.

You're right. Leon Washington rotted on the bench under Mangini.

Coye Francies, CB: Francies was good enough in camp and preseason for the Browns to release both Rod Hood and Corey Ivy and he should be the nickelback from the world go.
i dont see how you can say Leon Washington rotted when you look how productiv Thomas JOnes was last year. He was a good back last year, benching him wouldnt have done any good

wonderbredd24
09-10-2009, 03:29 PM
i dont see how you can say Leon Washington rotted when you look how productiv Thomas JOnes was last year. He was a good back last year, benching him wouldnt have done any good

It was sarcasm. Leon Washington was an integral part of the Jets offense when Mangini was there and will continue to be.

Saying Davis won't get a shot because Mangini is our coach is foolish.

Splat
09-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Mr. Irrelevant (Ryan Succop) who has a great name will be playing for the Chiefs this sunday he is a kicker but still nice to see him make the team.

diabsoule
09-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Thomas Morstead, Rookie P for the Saints. Watch out. He's coming for you.

HawkeyeFan
09-10-2009, 03:40 PM
James Laurinatis for DROY :)
http://i30.tinypic.com/1pxagx.jpg

M.O.T.H.
09-10-2009, 03:55 PM
I dont think I'll be spending too much time in here. They're all freaking hurt.

Jason Williams, Robert Brewster, Stephen Mcgee, Brandon Williams, Mike Hamlin, Stephen Hodge are all injured.

Todd Bertuzzi
09-10-2009, 03:59 PM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/pressofatlanticcity.com/content/tncms/assets/editorial/b/e4/310/be4310b4-4631-11de-bdfc-001cc4c03286.image.jpg

http://photos.pennlive.com/photos/patriot-news/016252c2fcab020a90e29e20a6b353c7.jpg

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/photo_images/50503/45326_Eagles_Camp_Football.jpg

Da-Phins
09-10-2009, 04:06 PM
See avatar.

Watch out for Sean Smith. INT machine right there.

umphrey
09-10-2009, 04:41 PM
I predict Crabtree will have the fastest remote control time on Sunday

Brent
09-10-2009, 04:51 PM
I predict Crabtree will have the fastest remote control time on Sunday
you beat me to a crabtree joke. damn.

09-10-2009, 04:53 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/slideshows/794/slideshow_79455/display_image.jpg

The only Raiders rookie worth talking about.

aNYtitan
09-10-2009, 05:32 PM
Alright for the Titans its:
Kenny Britt - I think with the weapons that the Titans have on offensive, he has a chance to have a big year as the slot receiver, red zone option
Jared Cook - Most athletic TE to come out of the draft last year, one of the best in the draft. No blocking ability to speak of, but offensively, I'm thinking he is going to do big things. Probably not this season, but seasons to come
Ryan Mouton - Going to either step right into the nickel back role, or become it. Has shown ability to perform well in the preseason, and is being brought in to become a starter in the cover 2.
Javon Ringer - Maybe the Titans can get a 3 RB system going like the Giants did last season, keeping RB's fresh. He could also be brought in to replace LenDale (who is a FA the following season). He has shown that he is lightning quick in the preseason

kalbears13
09-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Maiava was a 4th round pick. Our 6th round pick, Don Carey, was scooped by Jacksonville and then put on their IR.

David Veikune is a long term project by virtue of the fact that Mangini is having him learn both ILB and OLB, so it remains to be seen how much he will contribute. I personally think he's going to push Barton for time as the season goes on in the middle. He should also see time as a pass rusher.

Massaquoi won the battle between he and Robiskie for now, but who knows how much he will play since Cribbs and Furrey appear to be ahead of him on the depth chart. Should be interesting. I hope the Browns run 4 WR sets because they have a talented WR group

For some reason I thought he was in the 6th because I just thought Day 2. I was thinking about putting Don Carey on there but he isn't on the team anymore.

wonderbredd24
09-10-2009, 05:34 PM
For some reason I thought he was in the 6th because I just thought Day 2. I was thinking about putting Don Carey on there but he isn't on the team anymore.

I am bitter about that. Carey looked good before he injured his shoulder

LonghornsLegend
09-11-2009, 09:55 AM
I read this piece earlier today about Percy Harvin by Peter King (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/09/10/gameplan.week.1/index.html?eref=si_writers) and just wanted to post it, there some of the reasons I'm pretty excited about seeing Percy Harvin play for the first time:

My favorite on-field training camp memory this summer came in Mankato, Minn., during rookie all-purpose player Percy Harvin's second week of practice. Harvin, a 5-foot-11, 184-pound whippet, lined up in the shotgun as the Wildcat quarterback, and had his hands extended toward center John Sullivan, expecting the snap as he called out signals. Suddenly Harvin looked to his left, apparently expecting slotback Adrian Peterson to come in motion. When Peterson didn't move right away, Harvin whirled his left hand around and around, like a third-base coach waiving a runner home, and Peterson sprinted in motion. Harvin took the snap, then shoved a forward handoff to Peterson as he passed.

How interesting, this split-second moment in time. Here was a rookie still learning the way from the dorm to the practice field, and when he got out on the field, he was anything but a rookie. Harvin was comfortable enough in his own skin to say to the best back in football, in effect, Dude, you better not be slow coming in motion on my watch. Let's go!

When I brought this up to Harvin the other day, he seemed almost sheepish. He remembered it, all right, but said it happened because he and Peterson hadn't had much opportunity to work on the play yet. Harvin was doing a lot of different things in camp, and I think Sunday in Cleveland we'll see him as the game's most interesting weapon. I expect him to play four spots: slot receiver (maybe 15 snaps), wide receiver (15, and maybe more if Bernard Berrian's ouchy hamstring doesn't allow him to play much), Wildcat quarterback and punt returner (maybe five apiece). He might return kickoffs. He might line up as a running back. And if Berrian can't go, I bet Harvin starts alongside Sidney Rice.

Nalej
09-11-2009, 10:22 AM
K. Britt looked good IMO
I didn't see Hood though- how did he do?

soybean
09-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Brian Cushing. 8 tackles, 5 solo.

Maualuga 8 tackles, 4 solo.

wowwww. James Lauranitis 14 tackles, 10 solo.

wonderbredd24
09-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Alex Mack had an excellent debut. He held his own against the Williams'

XxXdragonXxX
09-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Not much for the Seahawks on the stat line. Curry only had 4 tackles, 1 of them was a nice hit on Jackson. Deon Butler only had 1 catch for 7 yards, but it was a nice 3rd down conversion in the red zone that lead to a TD. Max Unger's name didnt get called much if at all so thats good.

aNYtitan
09-13-2009, 11:01 PM
For the first time in a very long time the Titans leading receiver in a game was a WR. That WR's name, Kenny Britt.

Very nice debut for him, 4 receptions for 85 yards, with that big reception at the end of the 2nd quarter. He did look like a rookie, not doing enough to stop the Polamalu interception, not going on crisp routes, but that gets better with time.

Jared Cook was inactive, Javon Ringer DNP on offense, did ok on kick returns and got a tackle on defense! Ryan Mouton was either inactive or a DNP

vidae
09-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Tyson Jackson has looked good in the time he has played. I'm very happy with his production. I'm still not thrilled about where he was picked, but he has a nonstop motor and plays hard to the whistle. Gotta love that.

tjsunstein
09-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Clay Matthews had just one tackle but I felt like he was in position to make a couple more plays.

DHVF
09-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Alex Mack had an excellent debut. He held his own against the Williams'
What are you talking about? Kevin tore him apart consistently.

M.O.T.H.
09-13-2009, 11:32 PM
David Buehler had three touchacks and a couple of really high kickoffs. May not sound great to some but, he is going to help us a great deal with opposing field position.

keylime_5
09-13-2009, 11:49 PM
from the one half i watched before it became unbearable, mack looked pretty good save for a couple plays. Did good in the run game.

Thecollegedropout
09-13-2009, 11:56 PM
Jets rookie watch

The man in the sig- Went 12 of 15 on 3rd downs, shows great poise, really carried himself well for the most part. Had maybe 3 bad throws out of the bunch with 1 being picked off and scored but really outside of that, he looked damn good. Finished 18/31 with 272 yds with a TD and INT. Take this every week if you can but I know that it won't be as dandy every week. Loved what I saw still though, should be the top rookie of the week by far.

LB Jamaal Westerman- 1 sack, couple of tackles. Very impressive display by him considering he was a mere undrafted FA pickup. Liked what I saw.

Shonn Greene was inactive but I still can't wait to see him, especially on the goal line stands.

brat316
09-14-2009, 12:20 AM
hmmm thats all.

Diehard
09-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Broncos:

Alphonso Smith had a nice game - 5 tackles, 1 tfl, 1 pass defensed and almost grabbed an INT. Played both the run and pass well. Good stuff.

Moreno didn't do much - 8 carries for 19 yards. At one point he got his bell rung and had to leave the game, but came back in later. In his defense, the run blocking in front of him was particularly shaky.

Go_Eagles77
09-14-2009, 12:29 AM
- Jeremy Maclin didn't touch the ball one time.

- LeSean McCoy had 9 rushes for 45 yards, had an awesome catch but it only went for 1 yard. Overall a nice game for him spelling Westbrook and keeping him fresh.

- Macho Harris only had 1 tackle but he played a solid game as the starter at FS. He didn't allow any big plays which is all you could ask for from a 5th round rookie. Had a pick 6 in his hands that he dropped.

Rosebud
09-14-2009, 12:35 AM
UDFA CB Bruce Johnson saw the field and held his own.

General Zod
09-14-2009, 01:11 AM
Percy Harvin got a TD today.

The dude is electric, Im gonna love watching him play this season.

Flyboy
09-14-2009, 02:24 AM
Malcolm Jenkins had a TD-saving tackle to stop a kickoff TD.

And, Calvin Johnson welcomed him to the NFL as Jenkins missed a tackle and Megatron bolted for what should have been a 65 YD TD.

Kurve
09-14-2009, 02:59 AM
Brian Cushing. 8 tackles, 5 solo.

Maualuga 8 tackles, 4 solo.

wowwww. James Lauranitis 14 tackles, 10 solo.

Lauranitis will get ton of tackles this year due to the fact the defense will be kept on that field longer then it should ...but i think they are all solid performances as for Curry its reversed i think ull see his tackles go up once they go up against a different team.

P-L
09-14-2009, 08:27 AM
Stafford was pretty good in the 1st half, but was garbage in the 2nd half. Louis Delmas had a fumble return for a touchdown.

PACKmanN
09-14-2009, 08:47 AM

I can't wait until Raji meets your center; Rogers had fun, now its Raji's turn.

wicket
09-14-2009, 09:07 AM
morstead punted well and did well on kickoffs. basicly the only positive of NO special teams this week

wonderbredd24
09-14-2009, 09:14 AM

Kevin Williams tore apart Floyd Womack, our right guard

Splat
09-14-2009, 09:44 AM
Chiefs kicker Succop made a 53 yard field goal and was 3/3 on XP that was about it for Chiefs rookies this week stat wise.

vikes_28
09-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Harvin looked good yesterday

DHVF
09-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Kevin Williams tore apart Floyd Womack, our right guard
And Mack when he went over to double team him.

I can't wait until Raji meets your center; Rogers had fun, now its Raji's turn.
Comparing Raji to Rogers at this point is laughable.

HawkeyeFan
09-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Yeah. Laurinatis played great. 14 tackles, 10 solo, 1 forced fumble.

Jason Smith played pretty darn well for a rookie tackle in a very hostile enviroment as well.

Hurricanes25
09-14-2009, 02:56 PM
UDFA CB Bruce Johnson saw the field and held his own.

Bruce Johnson played amazing for you guys yestersay. He was good on special teams and played well in nickel and dime packages. He had acouple of tackles and I think he forced a fumble. He was definately a good pickup by the G-Men.

Rosebud
09-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Bruce Johnson played amazing for you guys yestersay. He was good on special teams and played well in nickel and dime packages. He had acouple of tackles and I think he forced a fumble. He was definately a good pickup by the G-Men.

The kid looked good, but amazing is a stretch. He looked good and I'm glad he was able to step up, nice to know we have another smaller quick guy in case Dockery misses more time down the road.

Hurricanes25
09-14-2009, 03:02 PM
The kid looked good, but amazing is a stretch. He looked good and I'm glad he was able to step up, nice to know we have another smaller quick guy in case Dockery misses more time down the road.

I meant amazing in a way of him being undrafted.

BlindSite
09-14-2009, 05:52 PM
Captain Munnerlyn was great for a rookie 7th rounder, he's spending most of his time at nickel.

Rosebud
09-14-2009, 06:08 PM
I meant amazing in a way of him being undrafted.

Yeah, I see that, although seeing how well we've done with Kevin Dockery, who's also a small and quick former UDFA who excels in the slot, I guess I was kind of under-estimating how well he's played.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-14-2009, 08:10 PM
Peria Jerry only had one tackle, but he did what you want from your nose. Disrupted a couple of plays in the backfield, and kept blockers off Curtis Lofton allowing him to collect 11 Tackles.

Vox Populi
09-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Shawn Nelson has a TD for the Bills and our 2 rookie guards haven't ****** up... yet...

Hurricanes25
09-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Peria Jerry only had one tackle, but he did what you want from your nose. Disrupted a couple of plays in the backfield, and kept blockers off Curtis Lofton allowing him to collect 11 Tackles.

How did Spencer Adkins play?

ATLDirtyBirds
09-14-2009, 08:22 PM
How did Spencer Adkins play?

Didn't notice him. He's on ST duty.