PDA

View Full Version : 2010 The Year Of The Linebackers?

The Legend
09-10-2009, 06:32 PM
DeMarcus Ware, Dallas Cowboys
Shawne Merriman, San Diego Chargers
Keith Bulluck, Tennessee Titans
Derrick Burgess, New England Patriots
Elvis Dumervil, Denver Broncos
Gary Brackett, Indianapolis Colts
Thomas Davis, Carolina Panthers
Thomas Howard, Oakland Raiders
D'Qwell Jackson, Cleveland Browns
Derrick Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs
Kirk Morrison, Oakland Raiders
DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans
Barrett Ruud, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Leon Williams, Cleveland Browns

With Marcus McNeil, Chris Chambers, Vincent Jackson, and Darren Sproles all set to be free agents will they tag Merriman? With Larry English drafted in the 1st round and Scott having 5 linebackers/hybrids (Walterfootball having up to 9) going in the first round I think this might be his last year with them unless he does amazing.

TitanHope
09-10-2009, 06:37 PM
First thought for me is that they tag McNeil, not Merriman.

Are all the listed LB's FA's? Daaaang...

The Legend
09-10-2009, 06:41 PM
First thought for me is that they tag McNeil, not Merriman.

Are all the listed LB's FA's? Daaaang...

And I didn't even put the RFA in their.

CC.SD
09-10-2009, 06:42 PM
DeMarcus Ware, Dallas Cowboys
Shawne Merriman, San Diego Chargers
Keith Bulluck, Tennessee Titans
Derrick Burgess, New England Patriots
Elvis Dumervil, Denver Broncos
Gary Brackett, Indianapolis Colts
Thomas Davis, Carolina Panthers
Thomas Howard, Oakland Raiders
D'Qwell Jackson, Cleveland Browns
Derrick Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs
Kirk Morrison, Oakland Raiders
DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans
Barrett Ruud, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
D.J. Williams, Denver Broncos
Leon Williams, Cleveland Browns

With Marcus McNeil, Chris Chambers, Vincent Jackson, and Darren Sproles all set to be free agents will they tag Merriman?

You are excellent at naming linebackers!

Seriously though I think a lot of these guys will have good seasons, and make bank next year.

As for your other question; If the CBA isn't extended, then Merriman and Jackson will be RFA in 2010, and thus extremely likely to be back with the Chargers.

Sproles will probably be gone under any scenario, unless he accepts a less than market value deal. Which could happen, he is obviously in a place that allows him to excel in SD's system.

McNeill has had neck issues and has steadily declined since his absolutely ridiculous rookie year. Honestly, how he plays this year will be a huge part of how his contract negotiations go.

Jackson has had a couple DUIs which I absolutely despise, but he is so freaking talented, productive and just as importantly, very young. He also has great chemistry with Rivers, our 92 million dollar QB, and was a raw prospect who the Chargers put a lot of time into developing. I think he would get the tag over Merriman, considering...

AJ Smith absolutely hates Shawne. I find it extremely unlikely that Merriman will sign a long term deal with the Bolts given AJ's extremely obviously dislike of all of 56's extracurricular activities and headlines. Maybe we can get value in a franchise tag, but it's pretty likely he walks if you ask me.

The Legend
09-10-2009, 06:44 PM

I give all the thanks to KFFL & Rotoworld lol But it's still one hell of a list

wonderbredd24
09-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Though not done yet, the Browns and D'Qwell Jackson's agent have been working on an extension.

Xenos
09-10-2009, 06:56 PM

Seriously though I think a lot of these guys will have good seasons, and make bank next year.

As for your other question; If the CBA isn't extended, then Merriman and Jackson will be RFA in 2010, and thus extremely likely to be back with the Chargers.

Sproles will probably be gone under any scenario, unless he accepts a less than market value deal. Which could happen, he is obviously in a place that allows him to excel in SD's system.

McNeill has had neck issues and has steadily declined since his absolutely ridiculous rookie year. Honestly, how he plays this year will be a huge part of how his contract negotiations go.

Jackson has had a couple DUIs which I absolutely despise, but he is so freaking talented, productive and just as importantly, very young. He also has great chemistry with Rivers, our 92 million dollar QB, and was a raw prospect who the Chargers put a lot of time into developing. I think he would get the tag over Merriman, considering...

AJ Smith absolutely hates Shawne. I find it extremely unlikely that Merriman will sign a long term deal with the Bolts given AJ's extremely obviously dislike of all of 56's extracurricular activities and headlines. Maybe we can get value in a franchise tag, but it's pretty likely he walks if you ask me.
AJ isn't going to let him walk without fighting to get something beyond a comp pick for him. This isn't the Brees and Turner situation.

If the CBA doesn't get resolved then I foresee us using either the franchise tag or the RFA on Merriman.

Splat
09-10-2009, 06:57 PM
With the Chiefs going more 3-4 I look for Derrick Johnson to hit FA unless he really shows up big time this season.

CC.SD
09-10-2009, 06:58 PM
AJ isn't going to let him walk without fighting to get something beyond a comp pick for him. This isn't the Brees and Turner situation.

If the CBA doesn't get resolved then I foresee us using either the franchise tag or the RFA on Merriman.

I don't doubt it's a possibility but I am inclined to think AJ hates him enough to watch him walk.

Basileus777
09-10-2009, 07:09 PM
With the Chiefs going more 3-4 I look for Derrick Johnson to hit FA unless he really shows up big time this season.

Considering that he is a 3rd stringer right now, I doubt DJ will be back.

D-Unit
09-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Prediction: Shawne Merriman will be a Baltimore Raven.

Vox Populi
09-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Prediction: Shawne Merriman will be a Baltimore Raven.

Maryland connection works, and his demeanor on the field would be an excellent replacement to Ray's once hes gone. Off the field though, they might want to look elsewhere for any glimpse of Ray's influence, although Ray seems like the type to stay pretty involved with the team so it might not even be an issue. Yeah, I think Merriman to Baltimore would be a great fit. That would be A LOT of money tied up in two linebackers though and as we constantly hear when anyone brings up the Ravens being a good destination for a free agent, they still need to have cap space to re-sign Ngata and Gaither long term pretty soon as well.

Splat
09-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Considering that he is a 3rd stringer right now, I doubt DJ will be back.

On paper he will be starting soon I mean come on both DJ and Page are going to be starting Todd Haley is just playing the same games he played with Bo.

Rosebud
09-10-2009, 07:18 PM
If the bolts let Merriman walk I can't imagine them in the playoffs next year, he's just such a dominant force as a pass rusher and run stuffer that their defense isn't even close to the same level without him. He's one of the league's best defensive players and without him I honestly think the raiders, provided Russell takes the next step, will surpass them.

aNYtitan
09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
My question is does anybody think Merriman could play a down lineman in a traditional 4-3 or cover 2 scheme. I heard his coverage skills are lackluster and he really is best when rushing the passer.

BlindSite
09-10-2009, 07:31 PM
I hope Carolina can keep Thomas Davis he's a really underrated linebacker. There figures to be a 17million dollars free in cap space next offseason if Peppers leaves so I don't think the money will be an issue.

I'll be really surprised if all of these guys hit the open market, I remember a few seasons ago everyone was Jizzing in their pants over marquee free agents for them almost all to be signed before the end of the next season.

Merriman may be allowed to walk, steroids, woman bashing, injuries.

Even if the above three are overblown by the media, perception and rumor become reality all to quickly and the chargers have a lot of pressing needs elsewhere based on who else will be FA on their team...

MetSox17
09-10-2009, 07:41 PM
If it becomes uncapped, i'll hope that Jerrah pays up for Shawne and DeMarcus and we'll have one scary pass rush.

JT Jag
09-10-2009, 08:03 PM
DeMarcus Ware, Dallas Cowboys - Resigned or tagged
Shawne Merriman, San Diego Chargers - May leave in free agency--- AJ Smith doesn't like him
Keith Bulluck, Tennessee Titans - Will take hometown discount
Derrick Burgess, New England Patriots - Free agent
Elvis Dumervil, Denver Broncos - Possibly re-signed based on DJ Williams
Gary Brackett, Indianapolis Colts - Free agent
Thomas Davis, Carolina Panthers - Not sure
Thomas Howard, Oakland Raiders - Re-signed to absurd contract
D'Qwell Jackson, Cleveland Browns - Likely re-signed
Derrick Johnson, Kansas City Chiefs - Re-signed or tagged
Kirk Morrison, Oakland Raiders - Possible free agent
DeMeco Ryans, Houston Texans - Re-signed or tagged
Barrett Ruud, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Re-signed or tagged
D.J. Williams, Denver Broncos - Possibly re-signed based on Elvis Dumervil
Leon Williams, Cleveland Browns - Free agencyMy take on the situation.

keylime_5
09-10-2009, 08:05 PM
why is Leon William on the list? The guy was lucky he didnt get cut last week, now he's a 3rd stringer/special teamer.

Paul
09-10-2009, 08:11 PM
If the bolts let Merriman walk I can't imagine them in the playoffs next year, he's just such a dominant force as a pass rusher and run stuffer that their defense isn't even close to the same level without him. He's one of the league's best defensive players and without him I honestly think the raiders, provided Russell takes the next step, will surpass them.

You mean like last year when the Bolts made the Playoffs without Merriman?

bantx
09-10-2009, 08:12 PM

We kinda made the playoffs last year without Merriman.

JT Jag
09-10-2009, 08:38 PM
We kinda made the playoffs last year without Merriman.And they're playing in the worst division the NFL has seen since the 2003-2007 AFC East.

Go_Eagles77
09-10-2009, 09:57 PM
You forgot this beast. ;)

http://assets.philadelphiaeagles.com/assets/FCKEditor/Players/in-gocong-071016.jpg

Bengalsrocket
09-10-2009, 10:05 PM
You mean like last year when the Bolts made the Playoffs without Merriman?

Read his entire post. He said he thinks another team will step up. This implies that he currently thinks the chargers are the best, and in the future, he thinks the raiders will become better. Losing Merriman will further help the raiders be better.

Note; I don't think the Raiders will surpass the Chargers. If anyone passes the Chargers anytime soon, I believe it will be the chiefs. However, I was just translating what he said for those that were unable to read it.

GB12
09-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Add Aaron Kampman to the list. Although there is no way in hell he hits the open market.

Vox Populi
09-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I hope Carolina can keep Thomas Davis he's a really underrated linebacker. There figures to be a 17million dollars free in cap space next offseason if Peppers leaves so I don't think the money will be an issue.

I'll be really surprised if all of these guys hit the open market, I remember a few seasons ago everyone was Jizzing in their pants over marquee free agents for them almost all to be signed before the end of the next season.

Merriman may be allowed to walk, steroids, woman bashing, injuries.

Even if the above three are overblown by the media, perception and rumor become reality all to quickly and the chargers have a lot of pressing needs elsewhere based on who else will be FA on their team...

If he produces like he did before the knee injury and his production clearly elevates their defensive play and pass rush from the crap it was last year, I think the Chargers will have a pretty easy time forgiving him for being a dumb **** if he makes them a much better team.

People are willing to forgive you if you can bring something to the team that no one else can for certain give to the team.

bantx
09-10-2009, 10:39 PM
And they're playing in the worst division the NFL has seen since the 2003-2007 AFC East.

Tell me something I dont know.

Denver Bronco56
09-10-2009, 11:05 PM
This list is not accurate.... DJ was resigned by the broncos with like a 6 year 36 million or something along those lines...2 years ago

Brent
09-10-2009, 11:27 PM
Oh, Shawne Merriman, I know a team up I-5 that would gladly take you in. Their name starts with '4' and ends in '9ers'.

thetedginnshow
09-10-2009, 11:33 PM
I say if he hits the open market Dumervil is a Jet.

Vikes99ej
09-10-2009, 11:39 PM
I thought the 'Boys were close to re-signing Ware... no way they let him go. Best of that group without a doubt.

Paul
09-10-2009, 11:42 PM
I thought the 'Boys were close to re-signing Ware... no way they let him go. Best of that group without a doubt.

Yup. Ware will be the richest defensive player ever soon enough. Unless Jerry has a death wish.

Xenos
09-11-2009, 12:11 AM
I don't doubt it's a possibility but I am inclined to think AJ hates him enough to watch him walk.
The fact that Kevin Acee reported something like that means that it almost will not happen.

M.O.T.H.
09-11-2009, 03:45 AM
Ware's agent was actually brought in to talk to Jerry yesterday. As Paul said, he should be the richest player in the league, fairly shortly.

MetSox17
09-11-2009, 03:50 AM
Yeah, there really is no way in hell that Ware isn't re-signed. He deserves to be the richest, because he really is the best defensive player in the league.

Caddy
09-11-2009, 04:17 AM
I can't speak for every player on the list, but I seriously doubt the Buccaneers let Barrett Ruud go anywhere. He is arguably our best player. Come to think of it, who on the Buccaneers roster is currently better?

HawkEye30
09-11-2009, 06:32 AM
boy thank the god the hawks have tatupu, hill, and curry locked up for the next 6 years haha world dominance baby

Bigburt63
09-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Merriman would look great in flying elvis'.

awfullyquiet
09-11-2009, 08:58 AM
I can't speak for every player on the list, but I seriously doubt the Buccaneers let Barrett Ruud go anywhere. He is arguably our best player. Come to think of it, who on the Buccaneers roster is currently better?

This.

And only for the reason that the Buccos have little to no talent everywhere else this year. In three years, maybe JJ or Freeman will pop and roflpwn everything in sight.

Smooth Criminal
09-11-2009, 09:15 AM
There are some damn good linebackers on that list. Alot of them wont be allowed to hit FA.

Glad theres no Steelers on that list.

The Legend
09-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Derrick Johnson will be traded before the deadline for a 3rd rounder and 5th rounder if he doesnt end up starting. Texans should trade for him. Hometown boy. If I was the Eagles I would trade for him they need linebackers. Bears, Vikings, and Buccs would be good systems for him.

CC.SD
09-11-2009, 02:54 PM
The fact that Kevin Acee reported something like that means that it almost will not happen.

Don't get me started, Acee has got to be the least reliable beat reporter in the NFL, and lazy to boot. But this one he might have pegged.

cvv84
09-11-2009, 06:24 PM

I think they'll let him walk as well. I'd be hessitant to shell out alot of money to a player coming off reconstructive knee surgery, tested positive and was suspended for PEDs, and just had a run in with the law. Even though that case has been closed now, being around people like Tila Tequila is bound to attract unwanted attention to the Chargers.

Also reguarding the original post, Derrick Burgess is playing DE not LB. The Patriots are going to play alot more 4-3 this year.

Bucs_Rule
09-11-2009, 06:55 PM

The Bucs have so much cap space and so little talent. I'd be shocked if they didn't resign him.

Boston
09-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Aaaron Kampman's pissed right now.

Xenos
09-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Don't get me started, Acee has got to be the least reliable beat reporter in the NFL, and lazy to boot. But this one he might have pegged.
Well unless something else happens...I highly doubt it. And even if it does get to the point where AJ has to let Merriman go, he wouldn't just let him walk without anything. The CBA not being resolved helps us in this case because we would just slap the RFA on him.

Splat
09-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Aaaron Kampman's pissed right now.

Why not liking the 3-4?

vidae
09-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Derrick Johnson will be traded before the deadline for a 3rd rounder and 5th rounder if he doesnt end up starting. Texans should trade for him. Hometown boy. If I was the Eagles I would trade for him they need linebackers. Bears, Vikings, and Buccs would be good systems for him.

Wait, what?

He is arguably our best LB. He is "3rd" string right now as a way to motivate him. Bowe was 3rd string a few weeks ago and he has really grown as a WR under Haley. It's the same thing with DJ and with Page. It's all a motivational tool. Pollard being cut sent a clear message to these Chiefs veterans that they need to work harder than they ever have before. I actually am looking at DJ having a BREAKOUT year in this new system. He is the perfect LB for any scheme as he can tackle, cover and rush the passer.

I find it hard to believe that we would let DJ go. He is our best defensive player period.. no one else comes close.

Splat
09-11-2009, 11:03 PM
My self I would not be shocked to see the Chiefs trade DJ I'm not so sure he is a good fit in the 3-4 with the trouble he has getting off blockers.

He is in the last year of his deal so if they are going to move him they will have to do it soon not saying its the right move just saying I would not be shocked.

I really like DJ and while I think he is a solid LB we as Chiefs fans have been saying this is the year DJ breaks out for four years and it has yet to happen.

He might just be the most gifted athlete I have ever seen for the Chiefs at LB he has all the tools to be an All Pro but he has been to inconsistent.

I have seen him take over games but he has also been a ghost at times Todd Halye keeps saying he doesn't want yo-yo players up and down he wants the same player every week.

SenorGato
09-11-2009, 11:44 PM
I say if he hits the open market Dumervil is a Jet.

That was the first thing I thought when I saw his name.

So +1.

That's IF Gholston doesn't work out this year.

cvv84
09-11-2009, 11:48 PM
Why not liking the 3-4?

Kampman is a free agent after the season.

CC.SD
09-12-2009, 03:33 AM
I find it hard to believe that we would let DJ go. He is our best defensive player period.. no one else comes close.

I would have said Page or Pollard ubt obviously the organization doesn't agree. There's also two top 5 picks on that D-line, they better develop if the Chiefs want to have hane anyh hope at all.

Splat
09-12-2009, 09:54 AM
I would have said Page or Pollard ubt obviously the organization doesn't agree. There's also two top 5 picks on that D-line, they better develop if the Chiefs want to have hane any hope at all.

I would say Brandon Flowers is the Chiefs best D player you could make a case for Page but Pollard was never even close.

As for Tyson Jackson he has all ready shown signs of being a true beast he had a solid camp and made plays in pre season.

As for Glenn Dorsey not so much I'm not ready to throw in the towel but its not looking good.

aNYtitan
09-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Still wondering if anyone can tell me if Merriman can play in a 4-3 scheme as a traditional down lineman, or can he only do it as a pass rusher in a 3-4?
Also you should add Julius Peppers to that list, given that he wants to become a 3-4 lineman. I hope the Titans make a big run at him and convince staying 4-3 is smart.

BlindSite
09-12-2009, 08:48 PM
I would say Brandon Flowers is the Chiefs best D player you could make a case for Page but Pollard was never even close.

As for Tyson Jackson he has all ready shown signs of being a true beast he had a solid camp and made plays in pre season.

As for Glenn Dorsey not so much I'm not ready to throw in the towel but its not looking good.

What happened with Dorsey, is he just fat and lazy?

Splat
09-12-2009, 09:00 PM
What happened with Dorsey, is he just fat and lazy?

DT is a very hard position to come in as a rookie and have a impact and on top of that he had nothing around him he was pretty much shut down all year from double teams.

This year I think he has had trouble adjusting to the 3-4 nut I'm still not ready to give up on him and I don't think its a lack of effort just that he doesn't fit the system.

If he shows this season that he can't make the adjustment I could very well see him being trade bait this next off season.

HawkeyeFan
09-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Rams could pick up a legit SLB (if Larry Grant doesn't work out) and have a STUD linebacking core (WLB Will Witherspoon || MLB James Laurinatis || SLB ??? )

CC.SD
09-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Still wondering if anyone can tell me if Merriman can play in a 4-3 scheme as a traditional down lineman, or can he only do it as a pass rusher in a 3-4?
Also you should add Julius Peppers to that list, given that he wants to become a 3-4 lineman. I hope the Titans make a big run at him and convince staying 4-3 is smart.

3-4 is obviously his ideal position because of his range and run stopping ability, not to mention he is more than decent in coverage, but yes he can and does put his hand on the ground.

I don't think he would ever sign with the Titans though, it was a debatably illegal 'revenge' block that caused him to miss a season, plus there's no media coverage in TN.