PDA

View Full Version : Plummer has retired

etk
03-09-2007, 09:40 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/03/09/plummer.broncos.ap/index.html

It's official, he has retired.

ks_perfection
03-09-2007, 09:58 PM
This is the second best secenario that could have happened. The best being we trade him to Texans for something worth more than a 4th rounder and the worst scenario being he reports, we give up a 4th rounder, pay him 5 million to be our 3rd stringer.

Caddy
03-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Well we lose a 7th rounder next draft I think, but we still own his rights in hope that he decides he still wants to play.

We may not here anymore about Plummer till draft day, but expect his name to be brought up in the hopes that he wants to go to Houston and play for Kubiak and we get a bargain of some sort.

Chucky
03-10-2007, 09:35 AM
we will get like 5-7 million dollars back in signing bonuses though, which will make glazer happy

etk
03-10-2007, 10:28 AM
we will get like 5-7 million dollars back in signing bonuses though, which will make glazer happy

Yeah I'll take that over a future 7th any day. Look at our recent 7ths: Massaquoi, Phinissee, Russell, Abdullah & Razzano are all goners. Bennett and Warren still have a chance, but we're not a team that really relies on 7th rounders often anyway.

Caddy
03-10-2007, 03:27 PM
How often does a 7th rounder actually turn in to a good player anyway. Barring your Marques Colstons, a lot of the players are career backups or out of the league in a few years.

GB12
03-10-2007, 03:31 PM
How often does a 7th rounder actually turn in to a good player anyway. Barring your Marques Colstons, a lot of the players are career backups or out of the league in a few years.

Donald Driver, Mark Tauscher, and Scott Wells, just to name three all of which are currently starters on the Packers.

Caddy
03-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Now list every 7th rounder who is out of the league and you will be in the vast minority

Bucs4242
03-10-2007, 03:44 PM
TJ Houshmandzadeh also was a 7th rounder

But the point is, 7th rounders have maybe a 10% chance of sticking

Good move by the Glazers, Plummer retires we lost a 2008 7th round pick and 5 mil goes into the Glazers pockets

Caddy
03-10-2007, 04:27 PM
They better use that cash for the good of the team though

Bucs4242
03-16-2007, 02:46 AM
What do you mean? We spen every penny under the salary cap every year. We pay our caoching staff very well. The Glazers just built a 20 mil training facility. Sacrificing a 7th round pick and pocketing 5-7 mil as a worst case scenario is not a bad deal at all. All trades involve some level of risk and reward, and this trade was very little risk and plenty of reward

YoJoeBucsFan
03-16-2007, 07:19 AM
As far as I know he still hasn't filed his papers with the NFL.

Bucsfan
03-17-2007, 01:17 AM
Donald Driver, Mark Tauscher, and Scott Wells, just to name three all of which are currently starters on the Packers.

yeah and obviously its worked out well for the packers????

Driver is the only one that is really good out of those ones

etk
03-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Some teams rely on late round picks more than others. Not us, most of our 7ths fail to stick with the team or the league. Until we start drafting gems in the 7th, trading them away is meaningless.

Caddy
03-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Hopefully Jazzy Warren develops, but if we land CJ this year he could be thrown to the scrap heap.

etk
03-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Hopefully Larry Brackins realizes his potential and comes back.....

Caddy
03-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Gee was that a waste of a draft pick or was that a waste of a draft pick

etk
03-29-2007, 10:38 AM
The feeling among those close to Jake Plummer at the NFL owners meetings is that the quarterback will change his mind about retirement and play next season.
-- St. Petersburg Times

Booger
03-29-2007, 10:53 AM
The feeling among those close to Jake Plummer at the NFL owners meetings is that the quarterback will change his mind about retirement and play next season.
-- St. Petersburg Times

Well then we would have 2 too many QB's at least. Who would be traded/released if Plummer came back?

Simms
Garcia
Plummer
Grads
McCown

In my opinion, the only 2 that would be safe are Garcia and Grads.

Personally, I would trade Plummer to the Raiders for their 4th round pick this year, and release Luke McCown.

But if there is demand for Chris Simms on the trade market, like say a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick, I would have no problem showing him the door.

And if Simms is dealt, Quinn would become a real possibility at #4 overall.

TRJ997
03-29-2007, 12:54 PM
Well then we would have 2 too many QB's at least. Who would be traded/released if Plummer came back?

Simms
Garcia
Plummer
Grads
McCown

In my opinion, the only 2 that would be safe are Garcia and Grads.

Personally, I would trade Plummer to the Raiders for their 4th round pick this year, and release Luke McCown.

But if there is demand for Chris Simms on the trade market, like say a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick, I would have no problem showing him the door.

And if Simms is dealt, Quinn would become a real possibility at #4 overall.

I'm against any trade that increases Oaklands chance of taking CJ. Unless we got amazing value for Plummer in a trade to #1. (which is so unlikely that I should probably edit it out)

etk
03-29-2007, 01:33 PM
You underrate Simms' value on the market. Matt Schaub got 2 2nd rounders and a move up in the draft. Simms is more proven than Schaub....

There is no way in hell that we will keep Plummer, we want him as trade bait I guess, but whatever we get for him in return has to be at least an increase over our 4th rounder next year.

Booger
03-29-2007, 01:46 PM
You underrate Simms' value on the market. Matt Schaub got 2 2nd rounders and a move up in the draft. Simms is more proven than Schaub....

There is no way in hell that we will keep Plummer, we want him as trade bait I guess, but whatever we get for him in return has to be at least an increase over our 4th rounder next year.

I think that you make an argument for trading Simms instead of Plummer. While Simms has more experience than Schaub, I dont think that he will command the same value on the trade market. If you are right, and Simms would fetch comparable value to what ATL got for Schaub, he would be out the door the day after Plummer made it known that he wants to play.

You dont think that Plummer fits what Gruden likes in a QB? I would not be surprised at all to see Plummer compete with Garcia for the starting job, and Simms shown the door. Just to make you angry, I would even like to see Brady Quinn thrown in the mix.

etk
03-29-2007, 02:17 PM
That is quite possibly the worst QB plan I've ever seen.....

Garcia, Plummer & possibly Quinn. That is like the method of failure from hell right there, and it would cost our defense dearly. Brady Quinn would probably take 5 years of development in our offense before his rating could be higher than 50!

Booger
03-29-2007, 02:37 PM

Garcia, Plummer & possibly Quinn. That is like the method of failure from hell right there, and it would cost our defense dearly. Brady Quinn would probably take 5 years of development in our offense before his rating could be higher than 50!

Perfect response, you never disappoint.

Quinn has the Charlie Weis pedigree, and experience in a pro style offense. He could play QB #3 for 1 season, and battle for a starting job in 2008.

If CJ and JT are gone, bring on Brady Quinn!

Merlin
03-29-2007, 02:55 PM

Garcia, Plummer & possibly Quinn. That is like the method of failure from hell right there, and it would cost our defense dearly. Brady Quinn would probably take 5 years of development in our offense before his rating could be higher than 50!I assume your joking again......right?

etk
03-29-2007, 03:06 PM
I assume your joking again......right?
No, that was where I sound like I'm joking but I'm 85% serious :).........

etk
03-29-2007, 03:42 PM
We will never get Quinn anyway, because I don't see anyway he slips past Cleveland. In that case, do you guys want a QB roster of Garcia, Plummer & Grads?!?

Booger
03-29-2007, 03:52 PM
We will never get Quinn anyway, because I don't see anyway he slips past Cleveland. In that case, do you guys want a QB roster of Garcia, Plummer & Grads?!?

That would be great if both QBs were gone, as we would get one of CJ or JT.

As far as the QB trio, if the price was right for a Simms trade, absolutley!

Many would argue, myself included, that the "QB of the future" is not currently on our roster. In all honesty, I belive that Grads has a better shot than Simms of being our starting QB 5 years from now (under Gruden of course).

The reason not to trade Simms is if Gruden is not the long term head coach. I just dont ever see Simms establishing himself as Gruden's guy.

etk
03-29-2007, 03:53 PM
If Simms isn't Gruden's guy, why are we doing more shotgun this year?

Booger
03-29-2007, 03:58 PM
If Simms isn't Gruden's guy, why are we doing more shotgun this year?

I will not argue that Simms is potentially a major part of this team's short-term future, and Gruden is accommodating that with the shotgun.

The extent in which the shotgun will be implemented is very speculative at this point, and hardly supports any Simms loving theories.

etk
03-29-2007, 04:15 PM
If and when Simms performs, he will be fully part of our future. Right now, he is sharing a hot seat with Gruden & Allen, and many others.

It seems like many of you have completely turned on Simms after one bad year, but no one says anything negative about Cadillac. He did not perform like a top-5 pick last year, with 1 TD and under 800 rushing yards. He can't seem to stay healthy, and his career rush avg. is 3.8. He is not the type of receiver that Gruden likes either.

So tell me, how come you wolves haven't cracked down on Cadillac yet, or any of our other underperforming players. Why is Michael Clayton still a fine starter after 2 invisible seasons?

Cut Simms some slack, or be fair and rip apart all of our above-average players.

As Bucs fans, we need to give our players the benefit of the doubt. We should be the ones who have a positive outlook on our players, because it seems like you guys are quick to harass anyone who isn't perfect.

Caddy
03-29-2007, 04:23 PM
The reason that those players haven't been criticized is due to the other players on the roster. If you don't have anything better than Caddy or Clayton, then you are stuck with them as starters. I am not saying I don't think they should start, because I do, but Caddy > Pittman and up untill last season Clayton > everyone except Galloway.

Garcia has the potential to be better than Simms. If he realises that in TC he deserves to start.

Booger
03-29-2007, 04:24 PM
If and when Simms performs, he will be fully part of our future. Right now, he is sharing a hot seat with Gruden & Allen, and many others.

It seems like many of you have completely turned on Simms after one bad year, but no one says anything negative about Cadillac. He did not perform like a top-5 pick last year, with 1 TD and under 800 rushing yards. He can't seem to stay healthy, and his career rush avg. is 3.8. He is not the type of receiver that Gruden likes either.

So tell me, how come you wolves haven't cracked down on Cadillac yet, or any of our other underperforming players. Why is Michael Clayton still a fine starter after 2 invisible seasons?

Cut Simms some slack, or be fair and rip apart all of our above-average players.

As Bucs fans, we need to give our players the benefit of the doubt. We should be the ones who have a positive outlook on our players, because it seems like you guys are quick to harass anyone who isn't perfect.

I would actually put Cadillac and Clayton in hotter water than Simms, based on the fact that both were first round picks.

The only reason I rip on Simms is because you seem to believe that he is the clear cut starter, and the future QB of this team. If somebody came on the board and started boasting how we didnt need to draft CJ because Clayton is the future #1 WR for this team, I would be all over them.

In my opinion Cadillac gets a pass on his pure running ability, but deserves some heat based on his durability concerns and pass catching struggles. I wouldnt be shocked to see a player like Hunt or Booker a Buc come Draft Day. But they will complement Caddy, not replace him.

etk
03-29-2007, 04:35 PM
When I say Simms is our future QB, it's because I strongly believe he will prove himself that way. Right now, he will have to battle to earn that designation.

I am much more worried about Cadillac, because he is not a prototypical RB and I'm not sure he can overcome his many adversities.

I think Clayton will come along if we pair him with CJ after Galloway retires.

Caddy
03-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Just curious, but why do you think Caddy isn't a typical RB

etk
03-29-2007, 04:42 PM
Just curious, but why do you think Caddy isn't a typical RB

His size is a major problem right now (lean 217). He has a very hard running style, but it beats up his body and causes nagging injuries. Remember Charlie Garner? He was really tough and ran fiercely, but he always ended up injured. Cadillac is not the HB prototype (Alexander, LT, LJ, etc.), and he has poor hands.

Caddy
03-29-2007, 04:44 PM
LT is only 4 lbs heavier than Caddy

etk
03-29-2007, 04:54 PM
LT is only 4 lbs heavier than Caddy

He has a much heavier build. Guys like Portis and Caddy have trouble staying healthy when they carry the full load. I wish we had the luxury of drafting a player to complement him.

Booger
03-29-2007, 04:59 PM
He has a much heavier build. Guys like Portis and Caddy have trouble staying healthy when they carry the full load. I wish we had the luxury of drafting a player to complement him.

In my opinion, we will draft a RB. Hunt and Booker come to mind as round 4 type picks.

etk
03-29-2007, 05:01 PM
In my opinion, we will draft a RB. Hunt and Booker come to mind as round 4 type picks.

Do you think we might release Pittman? We only keep 3 HBs on our roster, and Caddy is our starter, while Graham is an invaluable special teamer. I want us to draft a HB if we can, but I don't want to lose Graham and his coverage skills.

Booger
03-29-2007, 05:14 PM
Do you think we might release Pittman? We only keep 3 HBs on our roster, and Caddy is our starter, while Graham is an invaluable special teamer. I want us to draft a HB if we can, but I don't want to lose Graham and his coverage skills.

Yes, I believe that Pittman is a potenital cap casualty. Especially with Askew and Alstott also having the ability to carry the pill.

If we were to draft Booker, he would also be a serious contender to return kicks.