Week 12: Seattle
Week 13: @ Chicago
Week 14: @ Tennessee
Week 15: Houston
Week 16: @ Arizona
Week 17: San Francisco

holt_bruce81
09-13-2009, 04:15 AM
Can't wait for the game! I hate 3:00 games, I would rather they play at Noon. I think they'll fight and be a lot more competitive than they were the past few seasons.

Win or Lose tomorrow I don't really care, I just want to see progress and signs that the team is turning it around.

KCJ58
09-13-2009, 03:38 PM
turnovers is the key to our season, 2 already in the 1st quarter

KCJ58
09-13-2009, 10:14 PM
wow our offense looked bad, nothing postive about his game that I can say, hopefully we can pull it together and get a win like last year in Washington

nfrillman
09-14-2009, 12:07 AM
wow our offense looked bad, nothing postive about his game that I can say, hopefully we can pull it together and get a win like last year in Washington

Hey, Donnie Jones is set up for back to back team MVPs. They are only going to win 2-4 games. I just hope they can be more competitive.

NGSeiler
09-14-2009, 12:12 AM
Hopefully NG can sticky this

Consider it done!

holt_bruce81
09-14-2009, 02:32 AM
There were a lot of positives........

1. This team fought for 60 minutes, never gave up. Might not think that's a big deal, but the past few years the Rams have had no fight in them, especially when things go bad.

2. 3 turnovers by the Defense

3. Bulger and The Offensive Line played well, just some dumb penalties that absolutely killed drives.

4. The Secondary looked solid, Jonathan Wade gave up a few big plays but you can tell he is soo much better than Tye Hill

5. Donnie Jones is a beast.

yodabear
09-14-2009, 10:41 AM
It is kinda hard to tell by looking at gamecast on NFL.com, and looking at stats and highlights and tell like I have to do to find some positives. But I have heard some positives from people who watched. The way it sounded to me is that we got to quit the dumbass pentalies. Incognito, 4 false starts, and the 12 men on the field (kinda hate the fact they can review that). But hey, we went to Washington last year and beat them, so there is some hope from me. My goal for this team is 5 wins, but it is looking like another 2-14 season.

NGSeiler
09-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Yes, there were some positives to take away from today. And I have faith that Spagnuolo and company are moving in the right direction. Still, it was disappointing to see Spagnuolo's Rams seemingly so undisciplined. I hope that's something we can get corrected as the season progresses.

This will be a work in progress, not a quick fix. The Rams fought hard yesterday, but just aren't quite good enough to overcome the number of negative plays they also had. I think they'll continue to get better.

rockio42
09-14-2009, 10:58 PM
My points of the game...

1) The first 1 1/2 quarters and the last quarter the defense played great., seeing turnovers was beautiful...I won't talk about the other quarter and a half...

2) So far the draft this year finally looks great, Laurinitis and Smith looked damn good, I didn't catch Fletcher or Scott (anyone see them)

3) If Jackson doesn't hit the holes like he did in 2006, he had finally learned not to dance in the backfield and now that what he did...he didn't have a bad game though, but it was just juke-juke and then 4 yards...

I also thought the officiating was terrible and extremely one-sided...there were some ridiculous calls against us and some that they refused to call against Seattle (that o-line was clipping way too much). That pissed me off...

holt_bruce81
09-15-2009, 04:23 AM
Rockio.....I don't think Scott or Fletcher played. I don't know, the only Corners I saw in the game were Bartell, Wade and King. And I didn't see Scott but who knows not like the D-Line made any plays anyways!

GB12
09-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Holy crap this forum is pretty dead.

Anyway, you guys picked up Ruvell Martin.

NGSeiler
09-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Holy crap this forum is pretty dead.

Anyway, you guys picked up Ruvell Martin.

Care to offer some thoughts about him seeing as how he's a former Packer?

GB12
09-15-2009, 11:29 PM
Care to offer some thoughts about him seeing as how he's a former Packer?
Well he was our 5th WR last season and was cut this year in favor of Brett Swain. However he is a lot better than you would think from that. He has had a career path that's very unusual. He has progressed and improved each year, but has also seen a decline in playing time each year. He had a nice rookie year where he worked his way up the depth chart to the #3 WR and even made a couple starts. Then we drafted James Jones and he was pushed back to 4th. He played better than his rookie year and caught 4 TDs, but both his catches and yards decreased. After 2007 we took Jordy Nelson and Martin slipped to 5th on the depth chart. He only saw time in our Big 5 set and specialty package due to how many good receivers we had in front of him. Then this season it was really a shock that he got cut. He was clearly the better receiver than Swain, but I guess the coaches wanted to keep Swain for his special teams and wanted to get Finley involved in the Big 5.

He is a big receiver at 6'4" 220lbs, and can be the endzone threat that his size would lead you to believe. Of his 6 career TDs 4 of them were inside the redzone, and he has also caught a two point conversion. He can also get it done outside of the redzone though. He does have a career average of 14.4.

Ruvell Martin will be at least your #3 as soon as he learns the St. Louis offense and should be a starter before the year ends. He is easily better than every receiver on the Rams besides Donnie Avery.

Besides football, he is also a great person. I think what the coaches and players said about him after he was cut explains a lot.Jennings was fairly bummed that his good friend, training camp roommate and spades partner Ruvell Martin was among those cut. "Man, this was a tough one I think for all of us," Jennings said. "He's just a great guy. Great family-oriented guy, he stands for all the right things. You want a guy like that to stick around and you understand that it's a business and unfortunately for him he's not with us. He has an opportunity to not be as deep on the depth chart somewhere else. So hopefully he gets an opportunity to showcase his talents."

"The Ruvell Martin decision, personally it tears you up because of the type of person that Ruvell is and what he has meant to us as a team and as a teammate. He's been a productive player. I told Ruvell that if we were to have a billboard and wanted to put a picture of someone that exemplifies a Green Bay Packer, we would put his picture up."

Interesting note on Brett Swain, courtesy of Lori Nickel. Swain was the first person Martin called after finding out he was cut. "Saturday was actually really nerve-wracking. You never know what is going to happen. I didnít get a call until about 1:30. This is how good of a man Ruvell Martin is Ė he called me at about 1:30 in the afternoon and he said that he wanted to give me an early congratulations. It touched my heart and thatís one thing I will learn from him. Heís taught me since Iíve been here, be a good person and have good character. I love Ruvell for that."

He was also very involved in the community and participated in all the charity events ran by the Packers or his teammates. He's someone you want to root for and I really hope he does well in St. Louis. It sucks to see him go, but it'll be cool for him to get a real chance and get to play rather than be the 5th WR in Green Bay.

I know I'm talking him up quite a bit, and that's not normal to do for someone who was cut, but he really is a good guy and good player. I'm suprised we couldn't trade him for a pick rather than cutting him. There are a number of teams that he could be the #3 WR on.

KCJ58
09-15-2009, 11:45 PM
Well he was our 5th WR last season and was cut this year in favor of Brett Swain. However he is a lot better than you would think from that. He has had a career path that's very unusual. He has progressed and improved each year, but has also seen a decline in playing time each year. He had a nice rookie year where he worked his way up the depth chart to the #3 WR and even made a couple starts. Then we drafted James Jones and he was pushed back to 4th. He played better than his rookie year and caught 4 TDs, but both his catches and yards decreased. After 2007 we took Jordy Nelson and Martin slipped to 5th on the depth chart. He only saw time in our Big 5 set and specialty package due to how many good receivers we had in front of him. Then this season it was really a shock that he got cut. He was clearly the better receiver than Swain, but I guess the coaches wanted to keep Swain for his special teams and wanted to get Finley involved in the Big 5.

He is a big receiver at 6'4" 220lbs, and can be the endzone threat that his size would lead you to believe. Of his 6 career TDs 4 of them were inside the redzone, and he has also caught a two point conversion. He can also get it done outside of the redzone though. He does have a career average of 14.4.

Ruvell Martin will be at least your #3 as soon as he learns the St. Louis offense and should be a starter before the year ends. He is easily better than every receiver on the Rams besides Donnie Avery.

Besides football, he is also a great person. I think what the coaches and players said about him after he was cut explains a lot.

He was also very involved in the community and participated in all the charity events ran by the Packers or his teammates. He's someone you want to root for and I really hope he does well in St. Louis. It sucks to see him go, but it'll be cool for him to get a real chance and get to play rather than be the 5th WR in Green Bay.

I know I'm talking him up quite a bit, and that's not normal to do for someone who was cut, but he really is a good guy and good player. I'm suprised we couldn't trade him for a pick rather than cutting him. There are a number of teams that he could be the #3 WR on.

after reading this (great post btw) I'm excited to see this guy get on the field, I do remember him in Green Bay I was very impressed by him in the games I saw him on in his Rookie Year, i was wondering what had happen to him, I'm no really glad we picked this guy up

NGSeiler
09-16-2009, 10:21 AM

Besides football, he is also a great person. I think what the coaches and players said about him after he was cut explains a lot.

Thanks for the write-up. Hopefully he emerges and becomes this team's #3 receiver. I have a hard time believing a guy cut during the season is going to come in and start, especially with the way Laurent Robinson is playing and played during the pre-season. But I wouldn't be shocked at all if he takes the third job from Keenan Burton, who has done next to nothing so far.

NGSeiler
09-22-2009, 06:31 PM
Well, I thought that the Rams showed a couple of positive things that they can build on in Washington. I thought they looked better in a number of areas. I think they showed that they're building in the right direction, and might be able to be more competitive even by later in the season. They're just not quite there yet.

Bulger looked good, IMO. He was under duress most of the day, but the primary reason he was only sacked once was because he was firing the ball out of the there very quickly. He stepped up into the pocket to make throws, threw with defenders in his face, and threw knowing he was going to get clobbered. Except for 2-3 throws, he made very good, accurate decisions. His fade TD pass was well executed.

Jackson had a good day as well. I thought he ran with a good deal of authority, although he bounced the run outside a few times when he should have followed his blockers. On the play prior to Avery's fumble, Jackson could have had a first down if not a touchdown had he ran forward into the large hole in the middle of the line. Instead he bounced it outside and was stopped for no gain. But this was a small complaint on a day where Jackson passed the 100-yard mark in large part thanks to a huge run that was opened on the right side of the line. I'd still like to see Jackson more involved in the offense, especially since this game was never out of hand. The Rams running game appeared to be getting stronger at the end of the day than it was at the beginning; some more runs in the second half may have helped the offense move the ball more effectively and score.

The offensive line appeared to be slightly better than the Week One showing but I don't think they made huge improvements. Pass protection was still iffy, and the run blocking showed flashes but was hardly consistently good. Incognito had another penalty but it was declined. The only times I noticed Richie were (1) Jackson's big run, where he made two nice blocks, and (2) the 4-5 other times when he didn't do his job and it was painfully obvious on replay. Barron did not have an exceptionally good day, with two holding penalties. Jason Smith was still a bit hot and cold but I think he's improving.

Laurent Robinson is stepping up to be this team's #1 receiver. Great acquisition. I just hope he can stay healthy, because so far, no one else has really shown the ability to make an impact. After a promising rookie season, Donnie Avery's only impact this year has been for the other team. He had a number of drops this weekend and fumbled the ball inside the Redskins 10-yard line. If the Rams don't turn the ball over there, it's very probable they come away from that drive with points, which puts them in the lead. Who knows how the game goes after that. Avery has not had a strong start to the season, but he's talented and has a good head on his shoulders, so I hope he rebounds. Burton showed some flashes but I wouldn't be surprised if Martin overtakes him as the third receiver. Stanley has now been cut (per Twitter) and replaced by Danny Amendola, who according to Rotoworld, "has a history with coordinator Pat Shurmur." It sounds as if he'll be the kick/punt returner at this point.

Defensively, this was the ultimate bend-but-don't-break performance. And there was a lot of bending. Except for the near-safety, the Rams didn't get much pressure on Jason Campbell at all. The new DT that the Rams got from waivers - LeJuan Ramsey, I believe - showed some good push from the interior line. But Leonard Little and Chris Long need to do a better job getting some pressure from the edges. The few times they did, it seemed like Campbell had no problem stepping up into the pocket because there wasn't much push there. Many of the Rams' blitzes did not get to Campbell, leaving holes in the secondary that he exploited quite easily.

Linebacker-wise, I wasn't blown away. Witherspoon seemed to be blocked out of many of the running plays way too easily, but he made a nice deflection at the goalline to prevent a touchdown. I didn't notice much of Laurinaitis until the final fourth-down stop near the end of the game where he was all over Portis when Clinton tried to cut the play wide. Overall I thought the Rams played the run well when the Redskins tried to run it laterally, but were gashed a good bit on plays up the middle or through the B or C gaps. For two weeks now, it appears that when teams want to run on the Rams, they can. That's not that good.

In the secondary, aside from the turnover forced by Atogwe/Bartell, I don't remember seeing a whole lot that stood out. The Rams seemed very willing to give up plays in zone coverage; I remember Cooley making an easy catch in a hole next to Jonathan Wade who didn't even seem to know Cooley was around him. Most of Campbell's incompletions seemed to come from poor throws rather than great coverage. Bartell got away with some defensive holding in the endzone on one play in which the ball was rightfully ruled uncatchable, but it looked on replay as if he committed the penalty prior to the throw. Ah well. The only thing I remember of Justin King's play was in one coverage situation where he let Cooley run right by him on a go route and couldn't close afterwards, result was an easy completion. This team seems to have trouble defending the tight end, a problem we've seen for years now.

Up next is the Packers, who appear as if they may be having some protection issues of their own. So perhaps this is the game where the Rams finally get some solid pressure. They'll have to if they want a chance at beating Aaron Rodgers, because otherwise I think he tears this defense up. It's the first 3-4 defense that Shurmur's offense will go against this season, so I'm interested to see how they respond. I hope the Rams are going to lean heavily on Steven Jackson both in the run and passing games. It'd be nice to see some long, sustained drives that keep Green Bay's offense off the field. I don't like how the Rams' receivers match up with the Packers secondary, and after watching how poorly the Rams protected against the Jets' 3-4 defense in the pre-season, it could turn into a rough home opener.

PossumBoy9
09-22-2009, 06:41 PM
I like the Amendola acquisition.

KCJ58
09-22-2009, 11:02 PM
good write up NG, i didn't get catch any of the game and I'm glad to see what you had to say

yodabear
09-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Great to see us compete on Sunday. Nearly pulled out another upset over the Skins, and if u listen to people around DC, we did beat them. A couple things go differently, and we would have won. And nice to see us get on the board, and our defense hold a team to 9 points. Like Seiler brilliantly said last week, this is a work in progress, and we defntly progressed from week 1 to week 2. And the Packers, they did lose to the Bengals, and they play the Vikings after us on Monday night, perhaps they could be overlooking us?

NGSeiler
09-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Great to see us compete on Sunday. Nearly pulled out another upset over the Skins, and if u listen to people around DC, we did beat them. A couple things go differently, and we would have won. And nice to see us get on the board, and our defense hold a team to 9 points. Like Seiler brilliantly said last week, this is a work in progress, and we defntly progressed from week 1 to week 2. And the Packers, they did lose to the Bengals, and they play the Vikings after us on Monday night, perhaps they could be overlooking us?

I wonder if Ruvell Martin brought any good intel with him when he joined? :)

Auron
09-23-2009, 01:36 PM
How has Marc Bulger played through 2 games so far? Looking at the stats it doesn't seem like he's doing quite well... but he hasn't thrown an interception yet.. so he can't be doing all that bad.

NGSeiler
09-23-2009, 09:30 PM
How has Marc Bulger played through 2 games so far? Looking at the stats it doesn't seem like he's doing quite well... but he hasn't thrown an interception yet.. so he can't be doing all that bad.

He's playing about as well as you'd expect a QB to do on this team, to be honest. The protection isn't good, and he basically only has one receiver (Robinson) who shows more than a flash here or there. His completion % is down mostly because (1) he's throwing the ball away more and (2) his receivers have had some drops. I counted maybe three bad throws during the entire Washington game. Give this guy protection and some weapons and I think he can still be quite good. The problem is the protection isn't there yet and the weapons are sparse. He didn't get sacked much in Washington but got hit a lot, and if that doesn't improve, he might revert to some bad habits. But right now, he's fighting and playing tough, smart football.

yodabear
09-24-2009, 06:01 PM
I wonder if Ruvell Martin brought any good intel with him when he joined? :)

It worked for the Jets against the Patriots.....

holt_bruce81
09-24-2009, 11:45 PM

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/round-two/round-two/2009/09/whats-bulger-shown-so-far/

Here are the stats: after two games, Bulger ranks 32nd among NFL quarterbacks in yards per passing attempt, 31st in completion percentage, and 27th in passer rating. Are all of those numbers on him? No, only a wingnut would conclude that. So far offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur hasnít displayed much flair in his passing game, the offensive line is shaky in pass protection, and the Rams arguably have the worst set of receivers in the NFL. But Bulger shares a big piece of the responsibility. According to film review done by STATS LLC, eight of his incompletions in the Washington loss were the result of poor, inaccurate throws. He has to make more plays when the opportunities are available to be made. And he hasnít done that. For example: only 4 of 9 completions in the red zone. On the plus side, Bulger has done pretty well on third down, completing 12 of 19. And I have no problem with how he is competing.

NGSeiler
09-25-2009, 10:42 AM
I counted maybe three bad throws during the entire Washington game.
According to film review done by STATS LLC, eight of his incompletions in the Washington loss were the result of poor, inaccurate throws.

Hmmm, maybe this is why I don't do stats for a living, but having watched the game, I was pretty confident about my count. I'd be interested to see which plays in particular STATS LLC categorized as "poor, inaccurate throws."

H.S.stud
09-28-2009, 11:57 PM
So I don't know about you guys, but after seeing the 2nd quarter performance by Kyle Boller I'd like to see more of him. Although he really didn't do anything special the 2nd half I think he earned himself a second look for next week, especially seeing how Bulger's status is still in the air.

Also, kind of out of nowhere here but can someone please explain to me why we keep re-signing Richie Incognito?!?!? He repeatedly takes false starts which are bad enough but it seems as though every time we have a big play negated it's either his holding call or personal foul that's hurting us. I think we could do without him, anybody agree or disagree with that?

NGSeiler
09-29-2009, 04:30 PM
So I don't know about you guys, but after seeing the 2nd quarter performance by Kyle Boller I'd like to see more of him. Although he really didn't do anything special the 2nd half I think he earned himself a second look for next week, especially seeing how Bulger's status is still in the air.

Boller looked great on two drives (one a two-minute drill) in the second quarter, but fell back down to Earth in the second half. I believe his second half QB rating was around 30.7, and his biggest play was for the Packers (the interception). He provided a spark when he first came in, but that spark quickly faded. In the end, I think Boller showed why the Rams signed him to be their back-up QB - he can come in when needed and still gives them a chance. But I don't think he showed enough for there to be some kind of competition.

Bulger is all but out for the 49ers game this coming weekend, so Boller will most likely get the start in San Fran. Whether Bulger comes back the week after against Minnesota, we'll have to see. But unless Boller strings together some great performances and, more importantly, some wins, I think this is still Bulger's job.

Also, kind of out of nowhere here but can someone please explain to me why we keep re-signing Richie Incognito?!?!? He repeatedly takes false starts which are bad enough but it seems as though every time we have a big play negated it's either his holding call or personal foul that's hurting us. I think we could do without him, anybody agree or disagree with that?

I wanted to see Greco challenge for the starting RG job this offseason, but it doesn't sound like Richie really had much pressure on his job. That being said, I'll be surprised if he comes back next year. His mistakes are simply too regular and too costly for this team. And he's yet to prove he can play with control and discipline.

KCJ58
09-29-2009, 07:44 PM
St. Louis Rams LB David Vobora suspended 4 games by the NFL for a violation of league policy involving performance enhancing substances.

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/75074/

I like him he adds depth to our LB core and makes plays on Special Teams, sucks to see him miss 4 maes

NGSeiler
09-30-2009, 09:13 AM
Well, I guess it's time to see what Larry Grant can bring to the table as a SAM linebacker. Hopefully this is a position they plan to upgrade in the offseason, though.

holt_bruce81
09-30-2009, 09:33 PM
Well, I guess it's time to see what Larry Grant can bring to the table as a SAM linebacker. Hopefully this is a position they plan to upgrade in the offseason, though.

Sean Weatherspoon baby!!

KCJ58
10-01-2009, 03:37 AM
Sean Weatherspoon baby!!

if we can get him in the early 2nd round that would be great

holt_bruce81
10-01-2009, 04:01 PM
if we can get him in the early 2nd round that would be great

Obviously.

KCJ58
10-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Obviously.

you ever think of changing your username, knowing that both Holt & Bruce are not on our team?

NGSeiler
10-02-2009, 01:42 AM
I don't think avery_robinson17 has quite the same ring to it. ;)

holt_bruce81
10-02-2009, 01:54 AM
you ever think of changing your username, knowing that both Holt & Bruce are not on our team?

How dare you sir! :)

rockio42
10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
If we took Weatherspoon in the 2nd would you say moving Witherspoon back to MIKE and Lauraniatus to SAM or Witherpoon to SAM and keeping Lauraniatus at MIKE?

holt_bruce81
10-02-2009, 11:09 PM
If we took Weatherspoon in the 2nd would you say moving Witherspoon back to MIKE and Lauraniatus to SAM or Witherpoon to SAM and keeping Lauraniatus at MIKE?

Weatherspoon SLB, Lauraniatis MLB, Witherspoon WLB

rockio42
10-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Weatherspoon SLB, Lauraniatis MLB, Witherspoon WLB

Why do it like that, Weatherspoon is a prototypical playmaking WLB...

holt_bruce81
10-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Why do it like that, Weatherspoon is a prototypical playmaking WLB...

He's best suited for Weak Side but he can play Strong Side where I'm not sure Witherspoon can and they won't move Lauranitis out of the middle.

rockio42
10-03-2009, 05:39 PM
He's best suited for Weak Side but he can play Strong Side where I'm not sure Witherspoon can and they won't move Lauranitis out of the middle.

hmmm my opinion is that although Witherpsoon is better at WLB I think he has shown the ability to be able to play off blocks (though not as good as most) from his time at ILB and is obviously quick and athletic enough to stick to TE's man-to-man and drop into a nice zone. As much as I want a guy from Mizzou like Weatherspoon I cannot picture him being being an amazing fit to this team if Witherspoon can't play SLB.

holt_bruce81
10-04-2009, 11:10 PM
lol the Rams are the worst team I've ever seen.

yodabear
10-04-2009, 11:27 PM
lol the Rams are the worst team I've ever seen.

No, u are starting to talk like me............thats not good. But 35-0, granted losing 35-0 to a team that will win our division this year isn't....well it is awful. But we did play a good defensive first half.

NGSeiler
10-05-2009, 12:05 PM
Defense played a very solid game. The 35-0 score doesn't do them justice. The offense is, simply put, abysmal. For the third year in a row, changing quarterbacks doesn't appear to be the silver bullet. There are significant weaknesses in other areas of the offense - protection, talent at WR, playcalling - that are holding this team back more than the passer. The Rams may find themselves in a position to draft the new face of their franchise this April, but without improvements to the unit around him, I don't expect the results to be significantly different. Hopefully we'll see some improvements as the year goes on - I thought the Rams improved from Week 1-2, and then into the first half of Week 3 - and then they can continue to weed out players during the offseason as the rebuild continues.

holt_bruce81
10-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Defense played a very solid game. The 35-0 score doesn't do them justice. The offense is, simply put, abysmal. For the third year in a row, changing quarterbacks doesn't appear to be the silver bullet. There are significant weaknesses in other areas of the offense - protection, talent at WR, playcalling - that are holding this team back more than the passer. The Rams may find themselves in a position to draft the new face of their franchise this April, but without improvements to the unit around him, I don't expect the results to be significantly different. Hopefully we'll see some improvements as the year goes on - I thought the Rams improved from Week 1-2, and then into the first half of Week 3 - and then they can continue to weed out players during the offseason as the rebuild continues.

I don't understand the Offense. The little 2-3 yard passes started three years ago when Linehan got here, and at the time I just thought my god Linehan is a horrible Play caller.

But now the Rams are doing the same thing and if you watch the Detroit Lions (Where Linehan is the OC) they actually throw downfield a lot.

KCJ58
10-05-2009, 07:20 PM
my feeling on the game as a whole:

1st of all the offensive play calling IMO is horrible, it's too predictable, we need to get the ball more to Donnie Avery & that does not just mean on a screen pass, I know Kyle Boller was running the team this weak, but I agree that Bulger gives the better chance to win if there is a chance to win. the play calling seem to go like this every series,

1st down: Rush with S-Jax, if we get 3+ yards we run it again on 2nd
2nd down: play action fake but the o-line doesn't hold there blocks and the QB if forced to throw it away or take a sack
3rd down: If it's 3rd & Long then we run the draw play, if anything else we run a Shotgun Pass play
4th down: Donnie Jones Punt

overall Our D is improving bit by bit, our D is missing some players and so i was happy to see Wade & King get some game time experience, Our Offense needs to to pick it up big time, we already have 4 games under our belt this season & we can not afford to go to long without a win or at least a close game

General Zod
10-11-2009, 02:09 AM
Wanted to wish you all a good injury free game tomorrow. Its actaully televised here in Indiana, i was sorta shocked. lol

HawkeyeFan
10-11-2009, 09:45 AM
Thanks! You too! I'm actually about to head over to the dome, should be a good game. Possibly a trap game, Jackson always has a coming out party against Top Defenses. Go Rams!

NGSeiler
10-11-2009, 07:15 PM
DT Gary Gibson suffers broken ankle. Per Spagnuolo he will have surgery and miss the season.

Per the Rams' website's Twitter account.

yodabear
10-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Defense played quite well I felt today for most part, and so did our non red zone offense. Bulger had a perfect passer rating, so that was refreshing to see. Uh, a 28 point loss doesn't look all that great I realize, but I did see some positives playing against a pretty damn good Viking team.

NGSeiler
10-11-2009, 09:43 PM
There were some positives, yes. Remove the turnovers from the equation, and the Rams probably would have been pretty competitive through the game. This team just needs to find a way to minimize mistakes. I like their chances in Jacksonville next week.

diabsoule
10-12-2009, 01:48 AM
If you guys have not checked out your coaching staff I suggest you do that. There is a reason you guys look terrible this year.

terribletowel39
10-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Without getting too political, what would you guys think if Rush was to buy the team??

NGSeiler
10-13-2009, 02:37 PM
If you guys have not checked out your coaching staff I suggest you do that. There is a reason you guys look terrible this year.

Spagnuolo is five games into his first year as a head coach. Some of these problems are going to take time (and probably some roster moves) to resolve, but I think he's on the right track.

If there's a coach that's probably on the hot seat for the Rams right now, it's Pat Shurmur, the offensive coordinator. While the playcalling was better against Minnesota, he's been far too conservative IMO prior to that.

Without getting too political, what would you guys think if Rush was to buy the team??

I would be disappointed.

Splat
10-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Ex-Ram Cullen Bryant dies (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/16/ex-ram-cullen-bryant-dies/)

yodabear
10-16-2009, 07:20 PM

I woulda hated it, and that has nothing to do with the differences in opinion I have with Rush. There were a lot of players coming out they would not play for the Rams if Rush was part owner, and maybe that is a bit unfair to Rush, but it seemed that players would not want to play for him.

NGSeiler
10-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Doesn't make much of a difference now, he's been removed from the Checketts ownership group that's bidding on the team.

holt_bruce81
10-17-2009, 07:55 PM
I hope the Rumors are true and Marshall Faulk is taking Rush's place in the ownership Bid!

yodabear
10-18-2009, 12:52 AM
I hope the Rumors are true and Marshall Faulk is taking Rush's place in the ownership Bid!

That would be much better and way less controversy.

The Unseen
10-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Good game guys. You bastards fought, but you still lost. Bad mojo in that organization

rockio42
10-18-2009, 08:41 PM
i hate my life....and i will find you Unseen!

yodabear
10-19-2009, 10:16 AM
Don't worry rockio.

A. We are beating the Colts this week. Sure, people are saying this is the best team in the NFL going against the worst team in the NFL. But this week will truly show on any given Sunday, a future hall of fame QB can have a bad game, that an 0-6 team can beat a 6-0 team on any given Sunday.

B. The Unseen is in my closet, tied up.

NGSeiler
10-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Honestly, if the Rams don't lose Avery, it could have been a very different game. Shurmur wasn't afraid to throw the ball down field with Avery available. Once Avery went out, the offensive gameplan curled up into a ball and didn't challenge anyone.

It's amazing how badly the Rams could use a difference maker at receiver right now.

rockio42
10-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Ya, Avery makes a such a huge difference and I'm confident that with either Laurent Robinson or Avery in that game, we would've won...I'm deciding to announce the official start of my campaign for the Rams to draft Dez Bryant at this moment!

rockio42
10-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Will Witherspoon traded to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for Rookie WR Brandon Gibson and a 2010 5th round pick...

well, I guess Sean Weatherspoon makes a ton of sense now

holt_bruce81
10-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Will Witherspoon traded to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for Rookie WR Brandon Gibson and a 2010 5th round pick...

well, I guess Sean Weatherspoon makes a ton of sense now

We would have to trade down. Weatherspoon is a beast but he's not worth a top 5 pick.

NGSeiler
10-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Interesting deal. Better to trade Witherspoon and get something in return for him than make him a cap casualty in 2010, I guess.

KCJ58
10-21-2009, 01:44 AM
Interesting deal. Better to trade Witherspoon and get something in return for him than make him a cap casualty in 2010, I guess.

I agree with you there but I have not herd much of Brandon Gibson os he any good, will he make an impact this year?

holt_bruce81
10-25-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm sick of watching Bulger play like poop.

yodabear
10-25-2009, 10:28 PM

I am tired of every1 not named Steven Jackson playing like poop.

killxswitch
10-26-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm not trying to dig on you guys, I am honestly curious. What happened to the Rams? I know after the move to STL it took a while as I expect it would with any team, but from '99 to '03 or '04 you were still pretty competitive. Was there some sort of big front office change, or just a run of bad luck, or what?

stlouisfan37
10-26-2009, 01:02 PM
What really bothered me was an article I read a couple of years ago around draft time that basically said the Rams were looking to improve their drafting because the scouting service they were paying for wasn't producing the kind of results they wanted. I was flabbergasted. How can an NFL team rely on a scouting service to analyze talent and get a strong guage on whether or not a player is a good fit for them?

Then I look at teams that draft well year in and year out. The Ravens impress me the most. They have a GM in Ozzie Newsome who is an excellent talent evaluator, and a scouting staff that is very proactive in diligently turning stones to find gems in the rough. They have had success in getting early round talent for late round picks in the supplemental draft. Jared Gaither was an excellent example. Academically ineligible, they went to his pro day at Maryland, watched him work out, interviewed him, measured him, investigated his past, the whole 9 yards. At 6'8" and 330 and with impressive footwork for a man his size, he was built directly from the mold of Jonathan Ogden. They got him for a 5th rounder, groomed him, and he is now a solid starter and has had no off-the-field issues that I know of. He was projected to be a solid 1st rounder in the 2008 draft.

I think the biggest key for the Rams has been in drafting philosophy. They have made several reaches with key draft picks due to drafting for need rather than taking the best available player. They have not developed a system and stuck with it long enough to see results. They do not have the patience to build a foundation that can stand the test of time.

I believe that what they need to do to build a strong team is to dedicate the next three drafts to taking the best players available REGARDLESS OF NEED OR POSITION. The Rams need talent, plain and simple, and not in the form of high priced veterans. We need young talent that can be influenced to buy into what Spags is preaching, and supplemented by reasonably priced free agent veterans at key positions. We do need a franchise QB, so that is the one position I would consider drafting out of need. Once you get a core of talent assembled, that is when you start considering drafting out of need. However, when rebuilding from scratch, drafting by need is a luxury that time does not afford you.

Thumper
10-26-2009, 11:03 PM
I just came in here to thank you guys for Will Witherspoon, so yeah... Thanks.

holt_bruce81
10-26-2009, 11:16 PM
I just came in here to thank you guys for Sean Witherspoon, so yeah... Thanks.

Sean Weatherspoon plays for Mizzou.

And it was a good trade for both teams. WILL Witherspoon won't be in a Rams uniform when the Rams do turn it around, so why not get something for him right now. And from everything I've been hearing, Brandon Gibson is going to be a nice Receiver in the league.

Thumper
10-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Sean Weatherspoon plays for Mizzou.

And it was a good trade for both teams. WILL Witherspoon won't be in a Rams uniform when the Rams do turn it around, so why not get something for him right now. And from everything I've been hearing, Brandon Gibson is going to be a nice Receiver in the league.

:D He's new to the team, I'm still learning. But he had a monster game and looks like a great pick-up. 6 tackles, a sack, an interception, a FF and a TD in his first game as an Eagle, very impressive.

And Brandon Gibson is very talented.

NGSeiler
10-27-2009, 05:34 PM

I haven't watched the game yet, but it didn't sound like he did very well. Still, it's got to be hard finding a rhythm as a QB when you're throwing to guys who weren't on this roster as of a month ago and probably wouldn't make many other teams' active rosters. The Rams are really in need of a #1 receiver as well as an upgrade at tight end.

:D He's new to the team, I'm still learning. But he had a monster game and looks like a great pick-up. 6 tackles, a sack, an interception, a FF and a TD in his first game as an Eagle, very impressive.

And Brandon Gibson is very talented.

It's kind of astonishing, really. Since the start of 2008, Witherspoon only had one sack, one FF, and one INT for the Rams. He goes to Philly, where the talent around him is much better, and he does that in one night.

Just goes to show you that the Rams still have a long road in front of them, but even after 'Spoon's performance, I think the Rams made a solid move for the future.

NGSeiler
11-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Rams win, baby!! Very nice to get a victory heading into the bye week!

KCJ58
11-01-2009, 03:50 PM
1-7 I love it, great game overall I'm just so glad we got the W

rockio42
11-01-2009, 04:00 PM
i am so happy I don't know what to say...if the phillies win tonight, no sunday will compare for a while

yodabear
11-01-2009, 09:59 PM
We won! I was really afraid looking at the TV I was watching the Favre Bowl, I couldn't tell if it said 18-17 Detroit, or I was reading wrong, or I was dyslexic or something. But holy crap, we won!

Auron
11-10-2009, 07:16 PM
Saints are coming to town. How do you guys feel this game will play out? I still remember that game in 2007 the Rams were 0-8 and every Saints was confident we would roll in that game and we got embarrassed in our own house giving the Rams their first win that year.

Well this time around you guys have a Win, and it's in St.Louis. I believe we will be big favorites again, which worries me some. The Rams are coming off their Bye Week and should be well rested, with a plan coming in. On paper I think we have the edge but we've been turning the ball over early in games lately which is a huge concern. If we continue to be careless with the football on Offense, that could be exactly what keeps the Rams in this game.. and we've been vulnerable against the run especially without Sedrick Ellis, and Scott Fujita.. so that might be good news for Steven Jackson. I'm hopeful we can get Fujita back for this game however. How are the Rams doing injury wise?

holt_bruce81
11-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Good game today. I'm actually proud of this team.

KCJ58
11-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Chris Long 3 straight games with a sack (he only has 3 all season), hopefully it's a sign of better things to come from him

NGSeiler
11-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Long has certainly stepped up the last three games. It would be interesting to see how his game would be affected if he had a stud tackle on the inside to help collapse the pocket. Suh or McCoy, anyone?

KCJ58
11-23-2009, 11:42 PM
i think if we draft Suh our D Line would be that much more elite, it will take pressure off Long & Carriker I'd rather take a DT with the 1st pick than a QB, also what do you think the chances are that Keith Null start a game this year

holt_bruce81
11-24-2009, 04:12 AM
i think if we draft Suh our D Line would be that much more elite, it will take pressure off Long & Carriker I'd rather take a DT with the 1st pick than a QB, also what do you think the chances are that Keith Null start a game this year

You think Carriker is on the team by training camp next season?

KCJ58
11-24-2009, 06:46 AM

true that his contract will be up next season forgot about that

NGSeiler
11-24-2009, 12:33 PM
also what do you think the chances are that Keith Null start a game this year

Start a game? Probably not great, but I wouldn't be surprised if he saw some reps during garbage time at the end of a game. At some point, the Rams should get him on the field to see what they might have in him, if only to help them in their decision regarding the acquisition of a QB in 2010.

true that his contract will be up next season forgot about that

Carriker is scheduled for free agency in 2012. He's under contract for two more seasons.

NGSeiler
11-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Guess who's the most penalized player in the NFL through eleven weeks?

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/9806/nfc-west-penalty-watch-barron-no-1

holt_bruce81
11-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Aren't like two of them because he wasn't lined up on the line of scrimmage? lol truly pathetic. But, if you take away those penalties, he has played very solid this season at Tackle.

yodabear
12-06-2009, 05:06 PM
Pat Shurmur needs to be fired. He is awful. I do not know enough about football where I should be able to read what play we were running. First down was Jackson up the middle, second down was get the ball in Avery or Amedola's hands and hope they can run forever, and third down was dump pass usually. It was pathetic.....there was no change to it. And then when we finally tried to switch it up Boller threw a pick, but thats prolly cuz he isn't prepared enough. Ugh....

KCJ58
12-06-2009, 05:08 PM
yes I agree, we need a good offensive coordinator this guy isn't going to work long term find some1 good Spags

holt_bruce81
12-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Running Back DeDe Dorsey is visiting Rams Park today.

I hope the Rams sign him, he would be a better backup option to Steven than what we currently have. He has some nice speed.

NGSeiler
12-13-2009, 06:29 PM
...yeah, that was embarrassing.

NGSeiler
12-27-2009, 10:51 PM
A Rams loss or Lions win in Week 17 guarantees St. Louis the first pick in the 2010 draft.

KennyG
12-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Guess who's the most penalized player in the NFL through eleven weeks?

As of week 15 I think my boy J. Trueblood holds that honor...

I'm a Buc's fan and was wondering what you guys think the chance of the Rams picking a QB? We are hoping that Suh or G. McCoy fall to us but it dosn't look like that is going to happen unless you guys pick a QB....

Anyways Good luck...

NGSeiler
12-29-2009, 11:38 AM
As of week 15 I think my boy J. Trueblood holds that honor...

I'm a Buc's fan and was wondering what you guys think the chance of the Rams picking a QB? We are hoping that Suh or G. McCoy fall to us but it dosn't look like that is going to happen unless you guys pick a QB....

Anyways Good luck...

The people making the decisions at Rams Park don't strike me as the kind who buy into the "You have to take a QB because you need one" logic that some mock-makers use. This is obviously a team that needs a QB of the future, don't get me wrong. I just don't think they're inclined to pass on a talent like Suh to take either of these two passers as they stand now. I'm intrigued by Clausen but I don't think he's worth the first overall pick. Bradford could be if healthy, but multiple injuries to his throwing shoulder are concerning. I simply have a hard time seeing this team pass on Suh for either of these QBs, but if Bradford can throw this offseason and looks sharp with good arm strength, the scales may tip a bit.

rockio42
12-29-2009, 11:51 PM
The people making the decisions at Rams Park don't strike me as the kind who buy into the "You have to take a QB because you need one" logic that some mock-makers use. This is obviously a team that needs a QB of the future, don't get me wrong. I just don't think they're inclined to pass on a talent like Suh to take either of these two passers as they stand now. I'm intrigued by Clausen but I don't think he's worth the first overall pick. Bradford could be if healthy, but multiple injuries to his throwing shoulder are concerning. I simply have a hard time seeing this team pass on Suh for either of these QBs, but if Bradford can throw this offseason and looks sharp with good arm strength, the scales may tip a bit.

i couldn't say it any better...another point is that drafting Suh would free up a lot of new packages (a lot like what he did in New York) with Long and Carriker...also a guy like Tony Pike or Colt McCoy in the second make a QB at #1 a little less likely...i hope

holt_bruce81
12-29-2009, 11:59 PM
I would jump for joy if we could get Pike in the 2nd. IMO he's the 2nd best Quarterback in the draft behind Bradford.

And I totally agree with you guys on the Quarterback situation. I don't understand why people seem to think the only way you can get a Franchise Quarterback is if you take on in the 1st round.

I think there's about 15 or 16 NFL teams whos starting Quarterback was not a 1st round selection.

yodabear
12-30-2009, 12:14 AM
I would jump for joy if we could get Pike in the 2nd. IMO he's the 2nd best Quarterback in the draft behind Bradford.

And I totally agree with you guys on the Quarterback situation. I don't understand why people seem to think the only way you can get a Franchise Quarterback is if you take on in the 1st round.

I think there's about 15 or 16 NFL teams whos starting Quarterback was not a 1st round selection.

Yeah, once Locker decided to return I am with u guys and even with Locker I was still kinda on the fence. But the big 12 title game and seeing more highlights of Suh defntly changed my mind. I think he is the man worth taking #1. Claussen and Bradford maybe good players one day in the NFL, but I do not think they are #1 overall picks at this juncture. Plus, Pike shold be there in the second, possibly McCoy. I think those would be solid guys to tak a look at, but right now I think Suh is a no brainer at #1.

holt_bruce81
12-30-2009, 12:20 AM
Dream scenario?

Tampa falls in love with Suh and offers us their 1st and 2nd(from Chicago) for the 1st overall pick :)

But it's highly unlikely.

freebirdsrams02
12-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Dream scenario?

Tampa falls in love with Suh and offers us their 1st and 2nd(from Chicago) for the 1st overall pick :)

But it's highly unlikely.

That depends on how far down Gerald McCoy is on Tampa list. With two DT in the top 5, a team like Tampa won't give up to much to move up for Suh. Suh is a lot better than McCoy but by how much and is it worth giving up picks. If the Rams got McCoy and extra picks that would be great to.

NGSeiler
12-30-2009, 06:13 PM

The more I think about it, the more I'm not completely sold on Pike as a second rounder, to be honest. I worry about how well he holds up, because he seems pretty lanky for a guy his size. I also worry about his arm strength. I'm anxious to see how he throws at the Senior Bowl and combine.

If both are available in round two, I'd probably lean McCoy at this point. But I want to see his performances this offseason as well. It'd be nice if the Rams could coach the Senior Bowl this year, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

NGSeiler
01-03-2010, 03:04 PM
49ers just went up 27-6 with a little over two minutes to go in the game. So, barring an astonishing comeback by the Rams, St. Louis will officially have the first pick in the draft.