PDA

View Full Version : Ravens vs. Chiefs, Interesting Draft Comment

Shane P. Hallam
09-13-2009, 10:48 AM
Hey guys,

Thought you'd enjoy this tweet from an ex-Baltimore scout:

RT @MoveTheSticks: Ironic, Brodie Croyle starts against BAL today. I was in BAL that year and KC took him 2 spots before we were taking him

coordinator0
09-13-2009, 11:10 AM
Whew, dodged a bullet there lol.

coordinator0
09-13-2009, 03:38 PM
Well our offense looked good today as did our defense before that drive in the fourth. Flacco's mistake and the blocked punt were really the only things that kept them in the game. At least it was a good game to watch.

On a side note, I saw a lot of Ayenbandejo in there today (even before Gooden left with a sprained knee). Not sure I like that.

EdReedUnstoppable
09-13-2009, 05:33 PM
Anybody else think we were the dumbest team in the NFL today?

What the **** is Ed Reed doin in there returning a punt? I know Chirs Carr is a huge waste of money and a roster spot but Jesus Christ, tryin to get our best player hurt?

And why is Tavares Gooden out there on kickoffs? Is one of the other 15 LBs we kept on the roster not good enough for that?

Much closer game then it should have been, but Ill say this very concerned about our ability or lack there of to get to the QB. The Chiefs OLine is horrendous and we got to Croyle what twice? Thats not gonna get it done against Pittsburgh or New England or Indy or Tennessee.

I'll wrap it up by saying good win, but we are nowhere near the level of the top tier of AFC teams i.e. Pittsburgh and New England.

coordinator0
09-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Yeah we only had two sacks today (both by Jarret Johnson). We did pressure Their QB quite a bit though and we dominated the run game. Still a little disconcerting. I did notice that we lined up in quite a few 4-3 sets.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-13-2009, 07:54 PM
I know Flacco is great and we want to show off our passing game, but I'd hated the balance of passing to running. This isn't Ravens football. Our run offense was dominant yet we insisted on throwing it risking the chance of an INT. With Flacco, McClain, and Mcgahee getting an even split all of them are always fresh whenever they come in. There is no reason why the Ravens shouldn't just be pounding it every play and allowing Flacco to make plays on 3rd down.

coordinator0
09-13-2009, 09:25 PM
I know Flacco is great and we want to show off our passing game, but I'd hated the balance of passing to running. This isn't Ravens football. Our run offense was dominant yet we insisted on throwing it risking the chance of an INT. With Flacco, McClain, and Mcgahee getting an even split all of them are always fresh whenever they come in. There is no reason why the Ravens shouldn't just be pounding it every play and allowing Flacco to make plays on 3rd down.

I think you mean Rice there, but hey I could see Flacco as part of a four-headed monster rushing attack. :D

Ravens1991
09-14-2009, 09:10 AM
I wasnt overly impressed at all, I agree we need to get more pressure on the QB. We need to score TDs not settle of FGs. and Our K sucks hopefully Ozzie called stover already

coordinator0
09-14-2009, 10:20 AM
I wasnt overly impressed at all, I agree we need to get more pressure on the QB. We need to score TDs not settle of FGs. and Our K sucks hopefully Ozzie called stover already

OMG he missed ONE field goal. He's not going to make everything people, lets not forget he also MADE a kick as well and he looked good on kick-offs. We don't need to waste a roster spot on Stover.

dcarey20
09-14-2009, 12:38 PM

Passing Attempts: 43
Rushing Attempts: 41

I really don't have much problem with what the offense did. Flacco was a bit erratic at times, but for the most part he played well and made the plays he needed to.

What pisses me off is the special teams performance. I'm fine with Hauschka but we really can't miss 40 yard field goals, and we definitely can't have punts blocked. That's a 10 point difference and that's not going to get it done against New England, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis. We can't expect to make all of the mistakes we made and win ball games againts quality teams. Chris Carr was very unimpressive, really showed zero explosiveness in the return game and actually made a fair catch at the 7? He needs to step up.

I share the same sentinments as everyone else does with the pass rush, hopefully Kruger can get back for next week and make some sort of impact. We need to get more pressure.

We left the door open for KC and they took advantage. We're going to have to play better next week, luckily alot of the mistakes we made are correctable.

EdReedUnstoppable
09-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Ok a few comments......

Paul Kruger is not gonna impact the pass rush at all, he'll be lucky to get 2.5 - 3.5 sacks this year. Offensive tackles just dominate him, he'll be more of a run support LB than a pass rusher. We need to use Barnes on 3rd downs and turn him loose on the QBs, his speed presents serious mismatches.

The wind was blowing straight right when Hauschka kicked that field goal, I guess it would be straight left from his perspective. And he missed it left, Stover would have shorted that kick by 10 yards. Stover is gone and hopefully if there's a God he's not coming back! Hauschka's kickoffs were awesome all day long, Stover is lucky to get the kickoff inside the 15.

My only offensive complaint would be, that we need to use D Will more if we are gonna be a more pass oriented offense.

nepg
09-14-2009, 01:56 PM
OMG he missed ONE field goal. He's not going to make everything people, lets not forget he also MADE a kick as well and he looked good on kick-offs. We don't need to waste a roster spot on Stover.

I don't like the way he kicks. He has a ton of leg, but he knuckles it, and that's going to cause a lot of missed field goals this season. Even the one he made was pure luck that it didn't curve a little bit earlier and go wide left.

dcarey20
09-14-2009, 02:25 PM
My only offensive complaint would be, that we need to use D Will more if we are gonna be a more pass oriented offense.

Kelley Washington looked pretty damn good in the slot.

EdReedUnstoppable
09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Kelley Washington looked pretty damn good in the slot.

He did, he suprisingly did very well. But because 1 guy does well doesn't mean you can't use the other.

coordinator0
09-14-2009, 04:14 PM
He did, he suprisingly did very well. But because 1 guy does well doesn't mean you can't use the other.

Well, given our lack of 4 wide sets I can see why Williams didn't play much. Why mess with Clayton, Mason, and Washington when they were doing good.

coordinator0
09-14-2009, 04:16 PM
I don't like the way he kicks. He has a ton of leg, but he knuckles it, and that's going to cause a lot of missed field goals this season. Even the one he made was pure luck that it didn't curve a little bit earlier and go wide left.

His kicks were going to curve left... that's the way the wind was blowing. :roll:

Raven Domination
09-15-2009, 08:59 AM

I actually didn't have a problem with Cam's gameplan. Though, I do think Flacco threw it about 4 or 5 times too many. Rice still had over 100 yards rushing with 19 carries. He should've had about 3 extra carries though. Flacco made several mistakes in the Chiefs game that I chalk up to be more Week 1 jitters than anything. Several passes were way too high and could've been picked off. Cam shouldn't have had Flacco coming out the gate swinging like that. Should have ran more in the 1st half to tire their D, pass more in the 2nd half...we did the reverse.

Raven Domination
09-15-2009, 09:00 AM

Umm...we had 5 TDs against the Chiefs...

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
09-15-2009, 09:06 AM
The only thing I wasn't impressed with was our 2nd half defense and our kicker. Our O-line was amazing and Flacco played very well. Rice/McGahee did their thing. Heap looked amazing. We looked like a high power offense out there this week. I would like to see the same offense(without the pick6) but a better 2nd half defense

EdReedUnstoppable
09-15-2009, 09:32 AM
The only thing I wasn't impressed with was our 2nd half defense and our kicker. Our O-line was amazing and Flacco played very well. Rice/McGahee did their thing. Heap looked amazing. We looked like a high power offense out there this week. I would like to see the same offense(without the pick6) but a better 2nd half defense

Why were you not impressed with our kicker?

He made a 44 yarder in high wind and missed a 41 yarder in high wind, and all his kickoffs went to at least the 2 yard line. Yes I would have liked to have seen him be perfect but nobody is, not even the beloved Matt Stover. I thought Hauschka was fine, and he'll continue to play fine.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
09-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Why were you not impressed with our kicker?

He made a 44 yarder in high wind and missed a 41 yarder in high wind, and all his kickoffs went to at least the 2 yard line. Yes I would have liked to have seen him be perfect but nobody is, not even the beloved Matt Stover. I thought Hauschka was fine, and he'll continue to play fine.

I know he isn't perfect but he missed the first FG of the season. It wasn't even that far. I am not trying to run him out of town but I just want to see a little more accuracy on his FG's.

EdReedUnstoppable
09-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I know he isn't perfect but he missed the first FG of the season. It wasn't even that far. I am not trying to run him out of town but I just want to see a little more accuracy on his FG's.

Actually I believe it was the 2nd of the season, because he hit from 44 on his first try.

Ill agree he can't miss 41 yarders but in high wind Im willing to give him a pass on that one.

ChefMike
09-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Come on now... we had 2 mental mishaps in the game otherwise it would have been 38-10?!

The blocked punt and the INT that lead to the TD pass to Bowe...

The crazyness would be gone if the score was plus Ravens by 4 TDs

SeanTaylorRIP
09-15-2009, 10:45 AM
I am actually shocked as it seems like Mcgahee has embraced his role as backup. Rice is clearly more explosive, effective, and versatile, but Mcgahee has impressed me by coming in and using his fresh legs to his advantage. TBH I kind of though Mcgahee would just become lazy after being benched but it seems like he's taking advantage of the situation. With Rice an emerging star, and McClain a pro bowl FB, if Mcgahee stays focused he can be a very valuable backup and IMO immediately one of the most talented backups in the league. In the past I think he kind of fades with the more carries he gets but I think with limited carries, 8-10 a game he can add another dimension to the offense. His pass catching is actually pretty good. If he is able to contribute consistently it only makes Ray Rice that more effective if we can keep his carries down.