PDA

View Full Version : Bears Urlacher Season over after wrist injury

Splat
09-14-2009, 10:09 AM
Bears' Urlacher: Season over after wrist injury (http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=4472175)

awfullyquiet
09-14-2009, 10:17 AM
and...

yuck. the good news is... is we have decent depth... wait.

Gay Ork Wang
09-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Die Peter King

FlyingElvis
09-14-2009, 10:53 AM
piss on it.

how does a wrist injury equal IR?

[end initial reaction . . . off to read the articles]

TitleTown088
09-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Die Peter King

Oh man. That sucks. Your defense looked really good too. Tough break.

TitleTown088
09-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Die Peter King

Oh man , that sucks. Bears defense was looking good too. Tough break.

vikes_28
09-14-2009, 11:25 AM
piss on it.

how does a wrist injury equal IR?

[end initial reaction . . . off to read the articles]

Well this sucks for the Bears... It's never good to see an injury end a season. And I was wondering the same thing when EJ Henderson injured his toe last season and was out for the season last year. I guess he must have broke it pretty bad. Torn a ligament, something...

SFbear
09-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Adam Schefter's twitter

"Bears are in fact talking to Derrick Brooks. He's more weakside LB, which means Lance Briggs might have to move inside. But Brooks on radar."

But seriously **** you Peter King.

Raiderz4Life
09-14-2009, 11:36 AM
When the **** did he get hurt?? I didn't see him get attention or nothing

ElectricEye
09-14-2009, 12:20 PM
That really sucks. I'm not sure how a wrist injury knocks him out the entire year. It must be completely set out of place if he's done for the year.

Smooth Criminal
09-14-2009, 01:28 PM
When the **** did he get hurt?? I didn't see him get attention or nothing

He sat out th entire 2nd half.

But Urlacher is a huge loss for the defense. They looked pretty good last night, but losing Urlacher simply can't be made up for.

Pisa is also going to be out 4-6 weeks. Bears will be playing 2 backup linebackers.

JRTPlaya21
09-14-2009, 01:47 PM
What did Peter King do?

TitleTown088
09-14-2009, 02:06 PM
What did Peter King do?
Predicted them to go the super bowl I believe.

Rosebud
09-14-2009, 02:09 PM
This hurts the bears but at least briggs is still healthy, and he is their best defender.

awfullyquiet
09-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Predicted them to go the super bowl I believe.

correct.

i wouldn't mind moving brooks to WLB and Briggs to MLB and having Nick Roach/Jamar Williams play SLB...

BeerBaron
09-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Non-Bears fans:

Please stop letting us know how critical he was to the defense. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Now,

Briggs inside...Jamar Williams in at WLB. Coaching staff has been high on him for as long as I can remember, and were confident in him taking over for Briggs when we thought he was lost as a FA a few seasons ago. Let's just see how that goes....

dabears10
09-14-2009, 02:50 PM
correct.

i wouldn't mind moving brooks to WLB and Briggs to MLB and having Nick Roach/Jamar Williams play SLB...

I would. You then take a pro bowler to move to a place where he will not be as successful and allow an aged Brooks underperform. I do not think Brooks is so much better than what we have. We need some linebackers for special teams now.

MetSox17
09-14-2009, 02:59 PM
First off, if all it takes is a wrist injury for your Captain to be done for the year, you have problems worse than i first perceived.

All seriousness aside, how in he hell does that knock you out for the year? Short of him completely losing his hand, put a damn cast on it and play like that.

Threw his season away over a dislocated wrist. Tsk tsk.

Babylon
09-14-2009, 03:10 PM
This leaves the Bears defense with zero margin for error injury wise.

Shiver
09-14-2009, 03:28 PM
Na na na nah, Na na na nah, hey hey hey, goodbye

(it's Green Bay vs. Minnesota now in the NFC North)

CC.SD
09-14-2009, 03:30 PM
Wow Urlacher must really hate Cutler.

Rosebud
09-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I thought the bears D looked just as good without Urlacher as they did with him last night. I think over the course of a season they will miss him, but they very well could do a good enough job if the offense gels and plays the way they did in the second half for the rest of the season. I'm not ready to count them out yet since they do still have a good d, a good running game and franchise caliber QB with some usable weapons.

FlyingElvis
09-14-2009, 03:52 PM
Wow Urlacher must really hate Cutler.

How ironic that he called Cutler a ***** (<-- vagina) and is now talking about missing the entire season b/c of a wrist injury.

Nalej
09-14-2009, 04:02 PM
How ironic that he called Cutler a ***** (<-- vagina) and is now talking about missing the entire season b/c of a wrist injury.

karma's a *****

SuperKevin
09-14-2009, 04:07 PM
I wonder if anyone who is calling Urlacher out for going on IR has ever had a dislocated wrist? I haven't but I'm sure it's painful and requires a lot of time to heal, especially considering that if it gets jarred any more out of place it could do serious damage to the numerous ligaments and nerves that run through there.

sweetness34
09-14-2009, 04:26 PM
Na na na nah, Na na na nah, hey hey hey, goodbye

(it's Green Bay vs. Minnesota now in the NFC North)

With all due respect, and I mean with all due respect ;) Green Bay didn't look that great either last night. Defense was good but their offense looked like dog **** for most of the game. Is that attributed to the Bears' defense or just a bad performance? We'll have to see.

Big blow though for us, Urlacher was said to be back in full health and ready to have a nice season. And yea, **** you Peter King. :D

Gay Ork Wang
09-14-2009, 05:04 PM
which was said by Bobby Wade, a guy that was on a division rival. hmmmmmmm

brat316
09-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Bears need to sign Bobby Wade.

Vox Populi
09-14-2009, 05:27 PM
I wonder if anyone who is calling Urlacher out for going on IR has ever had a dislocated wrist? I haven't but I'm sure it's painful and requires a lot of time to heal, especially considering that if it gets jarred any more out of place it could do serious damage to the numerous ligaments and nerves that run through there.

My buddy's girlfriend was a nationally qualified gymnist and used to compete nationally with Canada and her CAREER was ended by torn wrist ligaments when she was 18 and still wears a wrist guard/brace most of the time at home nearly 6 years later. A wrist injury isn't a little injury by any means. I'm sure he would have put one of those massive club casts on and played if he could.

Seanhawk
09-14-2009, 05:51 PM
My buddy's girlfriend was a nationally qualified gymnist and used to compete nationally with Canada and her CAREER was ended by torn wrist ligaments when she was 18 and still wears a wrist guard/brace most of the time at home nearly 6 years later. A wrist injury isn't a little injury by any means. I'm sure he would have put one of those massive club casts on and played if he could.

I'm not questioning Urlacher sitting out the year but a gymnast is a completely different thing with all the force they put on their hands and wrists bouncing off of them and everything else, holding onto rings and other stuff. I don't know much about gymnastics.

I think people are just wondering why they couldn't put it in a big club like you mentioned.

GB12
09-14-2009, 07:01 PM
With all due respect, and I mean with all due respect ;) Green Bay didn't look that great either last night. Defense was good but their offense looked like dog **** for most of the game. Is that attributed to the Bears' defense or just a bad performance? We'll have to see.

Big blow though for us, Urlacher was said to be back in full health and ready to have a nice season. And yea, **** you Peter King. :D
Yeah, but that's a good thing. The defense was the question. We know the offense is good. The only new starters this year is the right side of the offensive line. If we get that right tackle spot fixed our offense will be right back to what it was last year.

wogitalia
09-14-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm not questioning Urlacher sitting out the year but a gymnast is a completely different thing with all the force they put on their hands and wrists bouncing off of them and everything else, holding onto rings and other stuff. I don't know much about gymnastics.

I have two mates who have had wrist injuries. One fell and broke it and dislocated it, that was 2 and a half years ago, still is recovering and will never have full flexibility in the joint.

Other has now had a cast on it for 9 months, still barely has any mobility, he dislocated it and in the process tore a tendon in his wrist, it hurts for him to use a knife and fork, so i can't imagine what football would feel like. He is also unlikely to ever have a full range of motion and can't grab.

Urlacher probably could put a club on, but how much use is a one handed linebacker? He almost certainly would be incapable of grabbing with the hand and would have to really overcome pain to shed blockers, just seems like he would be a negative to the teams chances to me.

S T R I N G
09-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Urlacher's chance at the Hall of Fame is slipping away...

TitleTown088
09-14-2009, 11:45 PM
their offense looked like dog **** for most of the game. Is that attributed to the Bears' defense or just a bad performance? We'll have to see.

You honestly believe the Packers Offense is going to continue playing like that? That was a bump in the road. Offense is what Mike McCarthey do, he'll get it turned around.

SFbear
09-15-2009, 02:07 AM
Brad Biggs explains why Urlacher can't return with a cast.

"The reason Urlacher was placed on IR is because of the bone he injured. He dislocated the lunate bone, according to the Bears, and that is the bone that is at the center of the wrist, at the middle of the eight bones. It holds the wrist together, and the risk in not treating the injury immediately, or coming back before the injury is completely healed is significant. It could lead to permanent nerve damage and that could affect Urlacher's hand long term."

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/09/why_cant_urlacher_return_with.html#more

wogitalia
09-15-2009, 04:00 AM
You honestly believe the Packers Offense is going to continue playing like that? That was a bump in the road. Offense is what Mike McCarthey do, he'll get it turned around.

Sadly... I dont. The scarier thing is how good the defense looked, with all their talent on defense I was worried it would come together by seasons end but it already looked together against a team whose offense figures to be middle of the pack. Was kind of hoping they would lose a few early while the defense found its feet and hope to edge them, looks like the defense already has it's feet which is a worry.

Gay Ork Wang
09-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Sadly... I dont. The scarier thing is how good the defense looked, with all their talent on defense I was worried it would come together by seasons end but it already looked together against a team whose offense figures to be middle of the pack. Was kind of hoping they would lose a few early while the defense found its feet and hope to edge them, looks like the defense already has it's feet which is a worry.
I think its a two way argument. One could say it was mostly based on not knowing what the packers defense can and will do. With more tape it could as well as turn around and be less productive in the beginning. I believe thats something where we have to wait and see

wogitalia
09-15-2009, 10:42 AM
I think its a two way argument. One could say it was mostly based on not knowing what the packers defense can and will do. With more tape it could as well as turn around and be less productive in the beginning. I believe thats something where we have to wait and see

Not sure about that, last year aside your defense has been good for a fair bit, a hell of a lot talent out there and the reason it wasn't great last year(injuries aside) is it just didn't click and come together, looked pretty damn together against the Bears and made Cutler look average, which he really isnt.

Gay Ork Wang
09-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Not sure about that, last year aside your defense has been good for a fair bit, a hell of a lot talent out there and the reason it wasn't great last year(injuries aside) is it just didn't click and come together, looked pretty damn together against the Bears and made Cutler look average, which he really isnt.
holy ************ id rather kill myself than be a packer fan.

awfullyquiet
09-15-2009, 12:34 PM

you and i both.

fate worse than death.

I'd believe that the more gamefilm is on the packers d-packages and looks, the harder it'll be to attack. The only thing you could work on with it is the preseason footage and classic dom capers games. which, isn't a lot... game 2 in the series will be very different.

YAYareaRB
09-15-2009, 12:36 PM
Go Ronnie Lott style and cut off your hand.. hmmmm maybe not

Seanhawk
09-15-2009, 12:48 PM

I can see where he'd be confused...you do have a Packer logo as an avatar picture.

Gay Ork Wang
09-15-2009, 01:06 PM
I can see where he'd be confused...you do have a Packer logo as an avatar picture.
i lost an avy bet

Splat
09-15-2009, 01:13 PM
Bears need to sign Bobby Wade.

He is a Chief as of today.

awfullyquiet
09-15-2009, 01:25 PM
He is a Chief as of today.

loads of ex bears those chiefs are...

bigbluedefense
09-15-2009, 01:33 PM
Urlacher's chance at the Hall of Fame is slipping away...

to be honest, i don't think he ever was quite there.

even before this injury, he was injury prone, and his sample size of dominance was just too small for him to be a HOFer in my eyes.

Getting his lunch eaten in the SB didn't help either.

Seanhawk
09-15-2009, 01:37 PM
i lost an avy bet

Ah...brutal.

regoob2
09-15-2009, 07:39 PM
to be honest, i don't think he ever was quite there.

even before this injury, he was injury prone, and his sample size of dominance was just too small for him to be a HOFer in my eyes.

Getting his lunch eaten in the SB didn't help either.
A decade is sample size?

sweetness34
09-16-2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah, but that's a good thing. The defense was the question. We know the offense is good. The only new starters this year is the right side of the offensive line. If we get that right tackle spot fixed our offense will be right back to what it was last year.

I'll flip the argument. The question about the Bears this year wasn't the offense, it was whether or not the defense would step up. I think they did a pretty damn good job against one of the most potent offenses in the game, and I sure as hell know that Cutler won't have to many games like he did against Green Bay (although blame should be put on his receivers for stopping routes and his OL for not pass blocking).

We did lose 3 starters though (Clark is out for a couple weeks, Pisa is out for 6 I believe, and Urlacher is done for the year).

Once tape gets out on the Packers defense I think you'll see teams start to adjust to their blitzing and coverage packages. We seemed like we had no idea what to do against you guys in the first half but we settled down and moved the ball well in the second. I was very impressed with your defense, you wreaked havoc and will force a lot of turnovers but I also believe you are going to allow some points in broken coverages adjusting to this new system.

None of the North contenders looked very good in the opener, so this division is still up for grabs in my opinion. Although we have taken a step back with losing 3 starters and probably had the worst performance of any "playoff caliber team" other than Carolina in Week 1.

LonghornsLegend
09-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Non-Bears fans:

Please stop letting us know how critical he was to the defense. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Now,

Briggs inside...Jamar Williams in at WLB. Coaching staff has been high on him for as long as I can remember, and were confident in him taking over for Briggs when we thought he was lost as a FA a few seasons ago. Let's just see how that goes....

I read a quote by Briggs when asked if he would be moved inside and his response was "no, definately not, Hunter Hillenmeyer will pick up the slack" or to that effect.

Gay Ork Wang
09-16-2009, 02:51 PM
I read a quote by Briggs when asked if he would be moved inside and his response was "no, definately not, Hunter Hillenmeyer will pick up the slack" or to that effect.
yea, briggs is gonna stay

awfullyquiet
09-16-2009, 03:04 PM
yea, briggs is gonna stay

But, let it be stated, HH is NOT urlacher.

Hurricanes25
09-16-2009, 03:08 PM
The important question is, Is HH better than Briggs if Briggs is playing out of position?

CC.SD
09-16-2009, 03:16 PM
Is Roach still a Bear? I always thought he had some starter potential, although probably not on the inside.

awfullyquiet
09-16-2009, 03:26 PM
The important question is, Is HH better than Briggs if Briggs is playing out of position?

Well, the question is, who replaces briggs. Jamar Williams... I'd rather have Briggs and a 6 year Bears Vet than Briggs and Williams leading the Defense.

Is Roach still a Bear? I always thought he had some starter potential, although probably not on the inside.

Roach will be replacing Tinoisamoa for the next 2-4 weeks.

CC.SD
09-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Well, the question is, who replaces briggs. Jamar Williams... I'd rather have Briggs and a 6 year Bears Vet than Briggs and Williams leading the Defense.

Roach will be replacing Tinoisamoa for the next 2-4 weeks.

Thank you. Roach may not be the prototype but in the short time he was a Bolt I was pretty sold on his instincts and ability.

wogitalia
09-16-2009, 09:20 PM

Sorry mate, just saw that big old Packers Logo and assumed, didn't even notice who I was talking to... That thing must be painful to wear, like each time you make a post a little part of your soul dies.

bigbluedefense
09-17-2009, 03:07 PM
Cover 2 sucks.