PDA

View Full Version : MLA

Raiderz4Life
09-15-2009, 01:19 AM
So I just started the 5th week of my freshman year in college and I have 2 papers for two different classes and both professors like most require it to be in the MLA format...now my HS english teachers were idiots and prolly didn't know what MLA was either so they didnt teach it to my classes.

My question is....how does citing/quote something like a website work??? Do i copy and paste the lines i need and make it a seperate paragraph and where do I write my sources?

I feel like a bit of a moron asking this stuff but I'd rather feel like a moron right now and not when I fail my class.

WMD
09-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Copy and pasting would be plagiarizing!

This should help you out: http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citmla.htm

Google, friend.

Snorlax1
09-15-2009, 01:33 AM
If its a short quote you just do like:

Kel said, "I love orange soda" (Socrates 93).

If it is over 5 lines then you have to indent it and what not.

You must also ad a citation in a Works Cited a the end, which is a little more complex with stupid rules on underlining, periods, commas, order, and what not.

Best website for most of this stuff:
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/01/

You can get websites that do MLA works cited for you and I think Microsoft Word has a tool now too, but I am not sure how well they work.

This should be right, but I am an Economics major so I haven't written anything of importance in like 3 years.

Raiderz4Life
09-15-2009, 01:36 AM
Copy and pasting would be plagiarizing!

This should help you out: http://www.liu.edu/cwis/cwp/library/workshop/citmla.htm

Google, friend.

Well I know that....but I've always just been told to put w.e. i was quoting in quotation marks and then just cite my source.

kalbears13
09-15-2009, 01:47 AM
www.easybib.com

You enter the information in the boxes and it does everything else for you.

Brent
09-15-2009, 08:21 AM
If its a short quote you just do like:

Kel said, "I love orange soda" (Socrates 93).

If it is over 5 lines then you have to indent it and what not.

You must also ad a citation in a Works Cited a the end, which is a little more complex with stupid rules on underlining, periods, commas, order, and what not.
This is correct. Indenting the entire quote, when it's 4 or more lines, is called a block quotes.

kwilk103
09-15-2009, 09:06 AM
some other stuff you might find helpful:

dont have to source common knowledge (if you find it in 3 sources is what i've always been taught); for example, Christmas is always dec. 25th, dont need to source that; but the GDP of England you would

and if you're not sure if you need to source it, do it anyways; better to source it and be safe

dabears10
09-15-2009, 09:26 AM
some other stuff you might find helpful:

dont have to source common knowledge (if you find it in 3 sources is what i've always been taught); for example, Christmas is always dec. 25th, dont need to source that; but the GDP of England you would

and if you're not sure if you need to source it, do it anyways; better to source it and be safe

The 3 sources thing is very false. Just because it is in three different books on the same thing does not mean it is common knowledge. As a History major you don't like rely on one secondary source that says something anyway.

awfullyquiet
09-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Really. I thought MLA was common knowledge.

How do they let kids off to College without it?

At least Chicago Style... No?

wow, the quality of schooling has gone dramatically downhill.

yourfavestoner
09-15-2009, 11:20 AM
Really. I thought MLA was common knowledge.

How do they let kids off to College without it?

At least Chicago Style... No?

wow, the quality of schooling has gone dramatically downhill.

That's what happens when the funding for public school education gets cut. I swear, I could have taught my high school classes better than some of my teachers.

Beans
09-15-2009, 11:41 AM
more like MLGay

The_Dude
09-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Never had to use MLA. I had to cite everything for my Masters in APA.

YAYareaRB
09-15-2009, 12:02 PM
I just MLA Machine

Beans
09-15-2009, 12:10 PM
this thread is just reminding me that i should be doing an essay right now :/

i've always had to use mla

awfullyquiet
09-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Never had to use MLA. I had to cite everything for my Masters in APA.

Sciency things love APA.

Raiderz4Life
09-15-2009, 12:25 PM
That's what happens when the funding for public school education gets cut. I swear, I could have taught my high school classes better than some of my teachers.

Actually...I went to a private school ha

dabears10
09-15-2009, 12:40 PM
I have to use Chicago style. It's outdated and needs to be updated to be useful. They have outlawed ibid here too.

killxswitch
09-15-2009, 02:14 PM
Source citing in academics is out of control. The spirit of citing your source is to give credit where it is due. The amount of stupid rules that go along with it are just petty chickensh*t.

I was fortunate in that in college most of my profs didn't make us stick to the letter of the law. As long as we cited our sources in some way and made it clear what fact came from what source, it was good enough.

Profs that count points off for not underlining, misusing commas, or not indenting the right margins should be fired.

DoughBoy
09-15-2009, 02:56 PM
I never got lessons in MLA in high school either... It gets confusing, but its not bad.

StripedWalrus
09-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Turabian all the way! I had to take a 3 credit class on Turabian and I have a book that is easily 400 pages on Turabian and how to use it correctly...

Seriously though citing your work is easy and you should always do it! Please also note that you do not simply read a book and write exactly what you got from it into your paper.

themaninblack
09-15-2009, 03:21 PM
I never really felt like it was something that needed to be taught in a really strict sense anyway. Every professor I've ever had has simply asked that you cite your sources so that it's easy for them to check if need be.

CC.SD
09-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Use 'son of citation machine' and you'll be fine. Google it.

APA fo life!

Raiderz4Life
09-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I never got lessons in MLA in high school either... It gets confusing, but its not bad.

Yea see i get most of the basics and stuff but then when it starts getting incredibly specific and has so many rules and order you have to write your sources in it kills me

DoughBoy
09-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Yea see i get most of the basics and stuff but then when it starts getting incredibly specific and has so many rules and order you have to write your sources in it kills me

Yeah I dont really get when your supposed to quote stuff so I quote everthing when I do mine... I still managed to get an A. :D

CJSchneider
09-15-2009, 06:40 PM

It's run by a bureaucracy, what do you expect?

jimmylishis
09-15-2009, 07:48 PM
along with citations (use easybib) and in text citations you have to have the following

a header on the top right side of the page with last name and page #

your name
teachers name
course name
date (date has to be like 15 September 2009)

centered title

theres an example here http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/557/01/

Brent
09-15-2009, 11:36 PM
It's run by a bureaucracy, what do you expect?
That response will require you to fill out form A-57, and form CC-33, all in triplicate.

dabears10
09-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Source citing in academics is out of control. The spirit of citing your source is to give credit where it is due. The amount of stupid rules that go along with it are just petty chickensh*t.

Actually much of the spirit of citing a source is so people can understand where you are coming from. If you are able to see what sources some one has read you can track down those sources yourself and understand how a person is forming a argument.

The 'stupid' rules are often there so some one can find that book you used to trace the authors thought process.

Raiderz4Life
09-16-2009, 12:36 AM
Actually much of the spirit of citing a source is so people can understand where you are coming from. If you are able to see what sources some one has read you can track down those sources yourself and understand how a person is forming a argument.

The 'stupid' rules are often there so some one can find that book you used to trace the authors thought process.

All that is understandable but i think he's trying to say that all the lil stupid rules that make you cite sources in such a specific manner are a burden.

killxswitch
09-16-2009, 07:44 AM

I don't think you understood what I was saying. I am in favor of citing sources fully. A reader should be able to find out where the info came from, down to the chapter and page number.

The problem I have is with profs that take points off if you DO include all that info in an easy-to-understand manner, but don't have all the exact citing punctuation that MLA or Chicago style or whatever manual he/she has chosen requires.

I understand doing this maybe in high school, where part of an English Comp class might be learning to cite so kids have that skill when they get to college. But by the time you are at a university, a place of higher learning, profs should not be taking off ticky tack points because you didn't cite source exactly the way a 500 page handbook says you should.

dabears10
09-16-2009, 10:13 AM
I understand doing this maybe in high school, where part of an English Comp class might be learning to cite so kids have that skill when they get to college. But by the time you are at a university, a place of higher learning, profs should not be taking off ticky tack points because you didn't cite source exactly the way a 500 page handbook says you should.

Yes, College should have lower standards than high school.

StripedWalrus
09-16-2009, 10:39 AM
I don't think you understood what I was saying. I am in favor of citing sources fully. A reader should be able to find out where the info came from, down to the chapter and page number.

The problem I have is with profs that take points off if you DO include all that info in an easy-to-understand manner, but don't have all the exact citing punctuation that MLA or Chicago style or whatever manual he/she has chosen requires.

Its just part of the trade. If you are writing a professional paper you have to do all these things correctly so why not write them correctly for a college class? In all honesty it isnt that hard to do. There are so many books written about this stuff and so many resources on the internet that you shouldnt be doing them incorrectly. You will write so many papers in college that you will eventually just do it right without looking. It is the very essence that because you are in a place of higher learning that you should be counted off for these things because you should be doing them correctly.

awfullyquiet
09-16-2009, 10:53 AM
Profs that count points off for not underlining, misusing commas, or not indenting the right margins should be fired.

What's the worst is when you're in a history class, or a literature class, and they take off tons of points for minor grammatical errors.

Sure, I'm a big proponent of teaching kids that you don't use u as a second person pronoun. And you teach correct spelling, and proper word usage. But, when you can't look past improper comma usage and unclear word order, you're just a pisser who doesn't want to grade based on the quality of content, but the quantity of grammatical errors.

I will be the first to say, grading on content is hard. I TA'd a few classes in college. In science related classes you HAVE to judge content... history and literature ******** is stupid.

Brent
09-16-2009, 10:59 AM
What's the worst is when you're in a history class, or a literature class, and they take off tons of points for minor grammatical errors.
To write in proper grammar is not difficult, one could easily train their brain to do so. In fact, for this post, I felt it necessary to turn on my so-called "paper-writing brain" because, when I write, I have a totally different mindset.

Also, all you'll ever need:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ASBE5X70L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

killxswitch
09-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Its just part of the trade. If you are writing a professional paper you have to do all these things correctly so why not write them correctly for a college class? In all honesty it isnt that hard to do. There are so many books written about this stuff and so many resources on the internet that you shouldnt be doing them incorrectly. You will write so many papers in college that you will eventually just do it right without looking. It is the very essence that because you are in a place of higher learning that you should be counted off for these things because you should be doing them correctly.

How many graduates have to EVER write papers? The percentage of college graduates that need this skill has to be small.

The point is that these silly books full of rules shouldn't be necessary. They're frivolous. Yes, you could learn to do it by repetition and eventually it wouldn't be a big deal. My point is that is wasted learning, it is a useless skill that is only necessary if you are going to stay in academia or research where silly academics think these things are important.

I wrote dozens of papers in college and rarely bothered to follow any specific style. I did it in high school because I had to. Maybe in my freshman year I did it to be safe, but just stopped caring when the class content became more difficult. Fortunately for me my professors mostly agreed with me, and I still graduated with a fine GPA. Not following it had zero negative effect on my college career and has had no impact on my professional career.

Yes, College should have lower standards than high school.

Now you're willfully not understanding, so just forget it.

CJSchneider
09-16-2009, 04:00 PM
To write in proper grammar is not difficult; one could easily train their brain to do so. In fact, for this post, I felt it necessary to turn on my so-called "paper-writing brain" because, when I write, I have a totally different mindset.

Also, all you'll ever need:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ASBE5X70L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Fixed it for you.

vatech=accdomination
09-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Always try to use Primary Source or book/written documents, my college teachers generally speaking hate online links.