PDA

View Full Version : Week 1 Power Rankings

tjsunstein
09-16-2009, 11:15 AM
What's more debatable than weekly power rankings? ESPN did one and it had me in the mood to write up a list of my own. Here it goes. 1-32.

1. Pittsburgh Steelers - Big Ben is on top of his game and this team looks primed for another run at the championship. They need to establish more of a run game as the season goes on.

2. New York Giants - This team is clicking everywhere. It's good to see Osi back to form. Manning continues to control this offense and Bradshaw is ready to fill the void left by Ward. The young wideouts stepped up and made some plays as well. All is well in New York.

3. New England Patriots - Great teams find ways to win football games. It took a boneheaded play for the Patriots to capitalize but in the end, it's the score that mattered. The Brady Bunch overcame adversity and put a W on the board. The defense took a major hit this offseason and it showed Monday Night. I have confidence Belichick will make it right.

4. Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan and Tony Gonzalez didn't waste any time. The addition of Tony G. is going to give defensive coordinators headaches every week. The offense was helped by a strong defensive performance. They'll be tested by Carolina on Sunday but if it's anything like last year's Week 12 game, then the Falcons will solidify their spot up here.

5. Philadelphia Eagles - The defense looked like it was being run by Jim Johnson from the booth in heaven. Weak side blitzes got to the Panthers quarterbacks all day, all three of them. Causing turnover after turnover. Not all of it was good news, though. McNabb has a broken rib and his return doesn't have a timetable.

6. San Diego Chargers - Phillip Rivers continues to impress me. Leading the team down the field to overcome a hard fought division game is never easy and Rivers does it in front of the Black Hole. Darren Sproles is, dare I say, more important to the team than Tomlinson.

7. Indianapolis Colts - An ugly win is still a win and you can't count that against any team in week 1. Anthony Gonzalez will be out a couple of weeks and Marvin Harrison is no longer a Colt. All of the sudden the Colts look pretty thin at wide reciever. Reggie Wayne displayed why he is the number one reciever in Indianapolis but someone else is going to have to step up for Manning and company.

8. Baltimore Ravens - Did I see some explosiveness from the Ravens offense? Uh oh. Joe Flacco with a 300 yard passing game? The Chiefs may have been in it for the most part but they were held to 188 net yards compared to the Ravens 501. You be the judge.

9. Tennessee Titans - The Titans put up a great fight against the defending champs on the road. Always tough to win at Heinz field so I think this team is again a legitimate contender but they have to prove a couple of things. The Titans had to uncharacteristically air it out last game. Although against the Steelers, the running game wasn't impressive and the secondary needs to play much better.

10. Minnesota Vikings - They drugged Favre. They played conservative football. Adrian Peterson did his damn thing out there. This is going to be a tough team to stop if they keep everyone fresh. Peterson and Brees will have an epic fight for offensive player of the year.

11. Green Bay Packers - The switch to the 3-4 looked like the right move on Sunday night. Now they have to figure out their offensive line situation. Rodgers evolved his game. He missed a couple of recievers down field but hit Jennings when it mattered most.

12. Dallas Cowboys - The offense looked on point and capitalized off of every mistake the Bucs made. The run defense was unimpressive, though. Tony Romo looks like the real deal even without T.O. this year. I had to bring T.O. up, sorry.

13. New Orleans Saints - Drew Brees. 6 touchdown passes. They played the Lions, but so what. 6 touchdown passes!?! Certainly set the tune of this team for the season. They're going to try to outscore you because the defense is suspect.

14. New York Jets - Rex Ryan brought over the tenacity on defense with him and Mark Sanchez looked sharp in his debut. Leon Washington is the X-factor for this team. Who needs wide recievers when you have Dustin Keller? Defense is going to have to carry this team all year long if they want to stay competitive. Look for a rendition of the '08 Ravens but far less dominant.

15. Seattle Seahawks - Matt Hasselbeck put the doubters to rest with his three touchdown scores. The defense pitched a shutout. Oh right, they played the Rams, though. All of the sudden the NFC West is a wide open race again.

16. Chicago Bears - Peter King picked them to go to the Super Bowl. Jay Cutler was consistently throwing into coverage and they forgot they had this guy named Matt Forte. Did I mention that Brian Urlacher will miss the rest of the season? Bad news all over. The honeymoon is over, Cutler.

17. Arizona Cardinals - The offense was unable to get anything going without Steve Breaston and a beat up Anquan Boldin. Dealing with some injuries in the recieving core is something they will have to overcome if they want to repeat any of the magic they had last year.

18. Houston Texans - Came into the season with high expectations and didn't live up to the billing against the Jets. The offense has to come up with something different now that everyone knows what Slaton is capable of.

19. Miami Dolphins - The Dolphins turned the ball over 4 times in week 1 against the Falcons. Last year they were so successful because of the best turnover ratio in the league. Easier said than done, but they need to limit the mistakes.

20. Washington Redskins - Ran the ball for 51 yards on 20 carries. The line was manhandled by the Giants, nonetheless but never a good start. The offense could never get into rhythm. No one is giving them a chance in the NFC East and they proved everyone right. Nothing clicks with this team and the 100 million dollar man was a non factor.

21. San Francisco 49ers - Limited their mistakes and benefitted from costly turnovers. The least impressive performer was Frank Gore who only managed to run for 30 yards on 21 carries. They won but it wasn't textbook. They can't expect to win every game with performances like that.

22. Buffalo Bills - Leodis lost the game for them. Or was it the offensive coordinator? Owens was targeted a total of 4 times. Had two catches, a drop, and an offensive pass interference called against him. If you want to win football games, give it to your playmakers.

23. Oakland Raiders - The Raiders poured some optimism into the Black Hole with the game they played on Monday Night. The running game is the strong point. So why have Russell throw the ball 30 times? Russell needs to speed up his maturation process a ton.

24. Jacksonville Jaguars - The Jaguars need playmakers. Williamson was a non factor last week, Jones-Drew can only do so much, and why not pass it to Holt more? Only 122 passing yards for Garrard last week.

25. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - The bright spot? Cadillac was back to running with promise. The not so bright spot? The defense. The secondary let up too many big plays. Part because of missed assignments and part because of missed tackles. Surprisingly, the Cowboys only outgained the Bucs by 12 yards.

26. Carolina Panthers - Jake Delhomme looked like the same quarterback from the playoffs. Not a good sign. The key to this season will be how he bounces back from his two previous games this coming week.

27. Kansas City Chiefs -They hung in there with the Ravens, I will give them that. Then again, the Bills hung in there with the Patriots, the Raiders with the Chargers, and the Jaguars with the Colts. It will take more than one week to prove to anyone that they can't be overlooked.

28. Denver Broncos - It took a miracle with 11 seconds to go to beat the Bengals. The defensive unit looked solid but there was a noticeable downgrade on offense without Cutler.

29. Cleveland Browns - Adrian Peterson isn't fair. We get it. I expect a Brady Quinn coming out party against the Broncos. Braylon needs to get more involved if this team wants to be a serious threat.

30. Cincinnati Bengals - Ugly game capped by a tough loss. There are still some believers in this team but they didn't gain any fans after that one.

31. St. Louis Rams - No signs of life. Struggled both offensively and defensively and wore down as the game went on. 2/12 on third downs. They were shutout by the Seahawks but yet came away with a +2 turnover ratio.

32. Detroit Lions - They are a few years away on the defensive side of the ball. By a few years, I mean a complete makeover. Stafford is only a one more piece in place to very large unsolved puzzle. It's going to be another ugly year.

Raiderz4Life
09-16-2009, 11:38 AM
I think 6 is too high for the Chargers....

Rosebud
09-16-2009, 11:48 AM
While we looked good we did struggle a lot in the redzone, 4 redzone trips, 3 FGs. I wonder how much of that had to do with Fat Albert and that strong washington D and how much that had to do with our lack of a major redzone target other than the Boss. I wouldn't say that Haynesworth wasn't a factor, he did a very good job of shutting down the inside.

Plus I think the Falcons are a little high because I do still question that D. They had a strong showing in week one, but I'd like to see them keep that up for a few weeks before I start to believe in that D.

tjsunstein
09-16-2009, 12:11 PM
I tried my best to catch most of games. From what I saw in the Giants-Redskins game was Haynesworth being contained pretty well. I didn't see him disrupt much of Eli's pocket. Even on DeAngelo's interception nearly the whole line was within 3 yards of Eli except Haynesworth and he was being singled. On the forced fumble by Cater, if I recall correctly, Haynesworth wasn't even on the field. Haynesworth was in on the play on 4th and 1, I do remember that but he was injured on the play as well. Jacobs ran right into that one. He may have been a force on occasion but I just didn't see it anything any other DT couldn't have done. A non factor is rather harsh I will admit but he didn't come out the way I thought he would. The Giants offensive line is one of the best though with Pro Bowlers on the inside. I guess we'll find out if the money was worth it as the season wears on and if he holds up down the stretch. Right now, I'm skeptical.

abaddon41_80
09-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I think that you are underrated the 49ers. Think of it this way, if they can win without production from their best offensive player, imagine how much better they will be when he gets on track. Swap the 49ers and the Cardinals and these are okay.

tjsunstein
09-16-2009, 12:44 PM
Theoretically, what you said sounds good. I'm not sold on what the 49ers offensive production will be. Do you think every game is going to be spot free like last weeks? I don't. Let's see what kind of game the 49ers play against Seattle before moving them up. Remember, it's only week one and alot is to be proved.

21ST
09-16-2009, 01:09 PM
The funny thing is it wasnt even the offensive lines fault that we lost, they actually did a pretty good job.

tjsunstein
09-16-2009, 01:25 PM
The funny thing is it wasnt even the offensive lines fault that we lost, they actually did a pretty good job.

Like I said, I tried to catch most of the game that I could without neglecting other games. From what I saw, the Giants didn't give the Redskins any chance at running the ball and looking at the stats it shows. Portis had 62 yards on 16 carries. Seems decent right? Well, factor in his first run from scrimmage was 34 yards. Leaves 15 other carries for a combined 28 yards. Was Portis' vision bad? Was he dancing too much? How do you account for that without blaming the offensive line?

Rosebud
09-16-2009, 01:43 PM
I tried my best to catch most of games. From what I saw in the Giants-Redskins game was Haynesworth being contained pretty well. I didn't see him disrupt much of Eli's pocket. Even on DeAngelo's interception nearly the whole line was within 3 yards of Eli except Haynesworth and he was being singled. On the forced fumble by Cater, if I recall correctly, Haynesworth wasn't even on the field. Haynesworth was in on the play on 4th and 1, I do remember that but he was injured on the play as well. Jacobs ran right into that one. He may have been a force on occasion but I just didn't see it anything any other DT couldn't have done. A non factor is rather harsh I will admit but he didn't come out the way I thought he would. The Giants offensive line is one of the best though with Pro Bowlers on the inside. I guess we'll find out if the money was worth it as the season wears on and if he holds up down the stretch. Right now, I'm skeptical.

Haynesworth didn't dominate but we doubled him a lot and also ran away from him quite a bit. Haynesworth certainly made his presence felt, we just did a great job of containing him.

21ST
09-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Like I said, I tried to catch most of the game that I could without neglecting other games. From what I saw, the Giants didn't give the Redskins any chance at running the ball and looking at the stats it shows. Portis had 62 yards on 16 carries. Seems decent right? Well, factor in his first run from scrimmage was 34 yards. Leaves 15 other carries for a combined 28 yards. Was Portis' vision bad? Was he dancing too much? How do you account for that without blaming the offensive line?

We couldnt run the ball you are right but as far as pass blocking goes we did a great job. Campbell had more than enough time he just holds onto the ball too long. He stood their and let Osi smack the ball out of his hand instead of stepping up in the pocket. I think the main reason we couldnt run the ball is because it is so easy to know when we are running. We have a 2 back rotation so 90 percent of the time if clinton portis is in the game we are running the ball, and if ladell betts is in the game we are passing the ball. The offensive line played better than any other unit on the team its just the QB and the Head Coach suck.

tjsunstein
09-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Haynesworth didn't dominate but we doubled him a lot and also ran away from him quite a bit. Haynesworth certainly made his presence felt, we just did a great job of containing him.

Fair enough. Being game planned around isn't exactly the impact the Redskins had in mind I would assume. He did step up on the 4th and 1 in all fairness to him. I guess we'll see him get very little brought his way kind of like the Asomugha treatment.

awfullyquiet
09-16-2009, 02:02 PM
I would actually agree with the rankings.

From top to bottom.

tjsunstein
09-16-2009, 02:03 PM
We couldnt run the ball you are right but as far as pass blocking goes we did a great job. Campbell had more than enough time he just holds onto the ball too long. He stood their and let Osi smack the ball out of his hand instead of stepping up in the pocket. I think the main reason we couldnt run the ball is because it is so easy to know when we are running. We have a 2 back rotation so 90 percent of the time if clinton portis is in the game we are running the ball, and if ladell betts is in the game we are passing the ball. The offensive line played better than any other unit on the team its just the QB and the Head Coach suck.

I was going to mention that Campbell holds on to the ball too long. Kudos for pointing that out. I agree with you, though. The offense is far too predictable and when playing a division rival who sees you so often, you would think they would mix it up a bit. And that Randel El loss of 11 is not mixing it up.

CC.SD
09-16-2009, 02:05 PM
6. San Diego Chargers - Phillip Rivers continues to impress me. Leading the team down the field to overcome a hard fought division game is never easy and Rivers does it in front of the Black Hole. Darren Sproles is, dare I say, more important to the team than Tomlinson.

23. Oakland Raiders - The Raiders poured some optimism into the Black Hole with the game they played on Monday Night. The running game is the strong point. So why have Russell throw the ball 30 times? Russell needs to speed up his maturation process a ton.

Sigh I guess I have to start coming around on this, eh TJ? With Ladainian nursing a twisted ankle after this week it's obvious that Sproles' role (hehe) is crucial to the team. Rivers is also absolutely ridiculous. With no time in the pocket, leading those last two touchdown drives he once again reinforced just how much of a baller he is.

Never thought I'd say it but I think the Raiders should be higher. Seymour and Ellis add a presence to the line, the LBs are solid, and the secondary is more than nifty. On O, they can run it. If Jamarcus and his wideouts get it together they're pretty close to real respectability..

tjsunstein
09-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Sigh I guess I have to start coming around on this, eh TJ? With Ladainian nursing a twisted ankle after this week it's obvious that Sproles' role (hehe) is crucial to the team. Rivers is also absolutely ridiculous. With no time in the pocket, leading those last two touchdown drives he once again reinforced just how much of a baller he is.

Never thought I'd say it but I think the Raiders should be higher. Seymour and Ellis add a presence to the line, the LBs are solid, and the secondary is more than nifty. On O, they can run it. If Jamarcus and his wideouts get it together they're pretty close to real respectability..

I did lift the Raiders up a considerable amount from where I had them coming into the season somewhere in the bottom 5. Week 1 is the toughest to make a fair judgement on teams. I'd like to see the Raiders continue to develope their run game and use it as effectively as they did on Monday Night. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this team needs to be consistent. Everyone can get happy in their pants after what they showed last week but it won't matter if they put the same product that the have the last however many years back on the field next week.

Sproles' role wouldn't be nearly as effective if not for Tomlinson so really, who is more important? Something to think about.

Also, to comment on the Raiders defense. Ellis and Seymour definitely benefits the whole defense, creating more pressure thus bad throws. I'm still wondering if Rivers' touchdown throw to Jackson was amazing placement or a bad throw turned great. I guess we'll never know completely.

CC.SD
09-16-2009, 02:24 PM
I did lift the Raiders up a considerable amount from where I had them coming into the season somewhere in the bottom 5. Week 1 is the toughest to make a fair judgement on teams. I'd like to see the Raiders continue to develope their run game and use it as effectively as they did on Monday Night. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this team needs to be consistent. Everyone can get happy in their pants after what they showed last week but it won't matter if they put the same product that the have the last however many years back on the field next week.

Sproles' role wouldn't be nearly as effective if not for Tomlinson so really, who is more important? Something to think about.

Also, to comment on the Raiders defense. Ellis and Seymour definitely benefits the whole defense, creating more pressure thus bad throws. I'm still wondering if Rivers' touchdown throw to Jackson was amazing placement or a bad throw turned great. I guess we'll never know completely.

Yah impossible to say on the Rivers throw, but on the other hand he has been making gold out of seemingly impossible tosses for a while now.

We might find out about Sproles this week, LT could sit out. Michael Bennett off the bench.

diabsoule
09-16-2009, 02:56 PM
I know no one is giving the Saints a lot of credit for beating the Lions but we did put up almost 50 points easily. Hell, we toyed with them a good bit. The Lions defense did look improved and their offense is a work in progress. You can already tell, though, that should have drafted Michael Oher instead of Brandon Pettigrew.

The Saints defense is still trying to gel but it looks a lot faster and more aggressive. This week against the Eagles will prove more than the Lions game did. What killed New Orleans against Detroit was our atrocious Special Teams play and turnovers. Reggie Bush fumbled a punt return which led to a Lions TD and Mike Bell's one and only fumbled led to a Louis Delmas fumble return for a TD.

CC.SD
09-16-2009, 03:01 PM
I know no one is giving the Saints a lot of credit for beating the Lions but we did put up almost 50 points easily. Hell, we toyed with them a good bit. The Lions defense did look improved and their offense is a work in progress. You can already tell, though, that should have drafted Michael Oher instead of Brandon Pettigrew.

The Saints defense is still trying to gel but it looks a lot faster and more aggressive. This week against the Eagles will prove more than the Lions game did. What killed New Orleans against Detroit was our atrocious Special Teams play and turnovers. Reggie Bush fumbled a punt return which led to a Lions TD and Mike Bell's one and only fumbled led to a Louis Delmas fumble return for a TD.

I still think the Pettigrew pick can pan out. Obviously living in the now their line is freaking terrible, but having a talented underneath/mid route TE will do wonders for Calvin over the next few years. Not to mention Stafford.

If the Lions had any concern at all about Oher's ability to play LT, they could justify passing pretty easily given that they had drafted their RT in the 1st round the year prior.

tjsunstein
09-16-2009, 03:02 PM

It's not that no one is giving them credit, it's just that it was expected. That was the way it was going to be and everyone accepted it as normal. Had it not turned out the way it did then everyone would have been shocked. What happens against this Philadelphia defense will change a lot of moods around the NFL and their fans, good or bad.

TitanHope
09-16-2009, 03:39 PM
I'll just do divisions, since it's always prickly doing 1-32 after the 1st WK. Got questions about possibly elite teams who played creampuffs, but I'll put together a Top 6 in each conference who look like Playoff contenders.

AFC North:
1. Pittsburgh Steelers
2. Baltimore Ravens
3. Cincinatti Bengals
4. Cleveland Browns

AFC East:
1. New England Patriots
2a. NY Jets
2b. Buffalo Bills
4. Miami Dolphins

AFC South:
1a. Indianapolis Colts
1b. Tennessee Titans
3. Houston Texans
4. Jacksonville Jaguars

AFC West:
1. San Diego Chargers
2. Oakland Raiders
3. Denver Broncos
4. Kansas City Chiefs

NFC North:
1. Minnesota Vikings
2. Green Bay Packers
3. Chicago Bears
4. Detroit Lions

NFC East:
1. NY Giants
2. Philadelphia Eagles
3. Dallas Cowboys
4. Washington Redskins

NFC South:
1. Atlanta Falcons
2. New Orleans Saints
3. Carolina Panthers
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West:
1. San Francisco 49ers
2. Arizona Cardinals
3. Seattle Seahawks
4. St. Louis Rams

AFC Contenders:
1: Pittsburgh Steelers
2. Indianapolis Colts
3. New England Patriots
4. Tennessee Titans
5. San Diego Chargers
6. Baltimore Ravens

NFC Contenders:
1. NY Giants
2. Philadelphia Eagles
3. Atlanta Falcons
4. Minnesota Falcons
5. Green Bay Packers
6. San Francisco 49ers

RaiderNation
09-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Good rankings, I agree where the raiders are. Hopefully we improve enough to be out of the bottom 10.

diabsoule
09-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I still think the Pettigrew pick can pan out. Obviously living in the now their line is freaking terrible, but having a talented underneath/mid route TE will do wonders for Calvin over the next few years. Not to mention Stafford.

If the Lions had any concern at all about Oher's ability to play LT, they could justify passing pretty easily given that they had drafted their RT in the 1st round the year prior.

I definitely understand the drafting of Pettigrew but the recent success of first round QB's the past couple of years has been based on those teams drafting OL. If a top left tackle is on the board after you had already drafted someone you wanted as your franchise quarterback then you have to take him.

MetSox17
09-16-2009, 03:50 PM
You seriously think the Atlanta Falcons are the 4th best team in the NFL right now???

The Niners beat the team that was seconds away from winning the Superbowl, and they're ranked 21st?

I actually think these rankings are pretty horrible.

awfullyquiet
09-16-2009, 03:57 PM
I think you can't base it off one game.

SuperMcGee
09-16-2009, 04:01 PM
22. Buffalo Bills - Leodis lost the game for them. Or was it the offensive coordinator? Owens was targeted a total of 4 times. Had two catches, a drop, and an offensive pass interference called against him. If you want to win football games, give it to your playmakers.

No way would I blame the offensive coordinator. Maybe the defensive coordinator that let Keith Ellison stay out and get burned in coverage on the last two TD.

Bengalsrocket
09-16-2009, 04:01 PM
You seriously think the Atlanta Falcons are the 4th best team in the NFL right now???

The Niners beat the team that was seconds away from winning the Superbowl, and they're ranked 21st?

I actually think these rankings are pretty horrible.

if you're going to talk about what Arizona did last year, then talk about what the 49ers did last year as well (nothing).

and while maybe not all 21 teams ahead of san fran did something last year, a lot did.

MetSox17
09-16-2009, 04:03 PM
if you're going to talk about what Arizona did last year, then talk about what the 49ers did last year as well (nothing).

If that's the attitude you're gonna take toward this, then ranking the teams in the NFL after one f'ing game is ********.

Jughead10
09-16-2009, 04:12 PM
I really like these rankings right now as well. When I see 21 next to the 49ers, it sounds a bit too low but then when I look at the teams from 15-20, I can't definitively convince myself the 49ers are better than any of them.

awfullyquiet
09-16-2009, 04:26 PM
If you're going based off of some of last week and a lot of 'knowledge'...

21 for the Niners isn't bad considering gore had 30 yards rushing.

MetSox17
09-16-2009, 04:52 PM
Against a pretty good Arizona defense. Not to mention that the 9ers aren't exactly known for their offensive line.

I'm still waiting for an explanation on how the Atlanta ******* Falcons are the 4th best team in the NFL.

Rosebud
09-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I tend to agree that TO's usage wasn't bad, on most weeks he'll get targeted more, but this week they were doing well just using how he affects coverage to move the chains. Big plays are good and important, but I think an offense just driving away and moving the chains is a much more effective way to win games if your defense is doing their job on other end.

Brodeur
09-16-2009, 05:01 PM
How are the Lions worse than the Rams?

Rosebud
09-16-2009, 05:03 PM
How are the Lions worse than the Rams?

You know how they say that defending champs are the number one team until someone knocks them off? Well I think the same logic can be applied to the lions being the champs of suck until the knock somebody off.

vidae
09-16-2009, 05:12 PM
I agree with your rankings for the most part. I don't think we're the worst team in the AFC West, and I don't think we'll finish there, but that could just be the homer in me talking.

CC.SD
09-16-2009, 05:28 PM
You know how they say that defending champs are the number one team until someone knocks them off? Well I think the same logic can be applied to the lions being the champs of suck until the knock somebody off.

I agree, Lions need to beat somebody before any movement occurs.

YAYareaRB
09-16-2009, 05:30 PM
I think the Chargers are a little high. They looked freakin terrible on monday.

Borat
09-16-2009, 05:47 PM
16. Chicago Bears - Peter King picked them to go to the Super Bowl.

WTF? Since when does the fat man's opinion mean anything? I mean, he writes a column about his daughter's soccer games and going to Starbucks. My hairy nutsack has more credibility and it picked the Rams to win the NFC West.

Vox Populi
09-16-2009, 05:55 PM
The comments about the Bills are ********. Our offense was rolling at a better and more consistent pace than the Pats for the entire game other than the last 2 minutes and the offensive coordinator called a great game by using screens and draws that caught the Pats off guard all game. Also, how are we worse than the Dolphins based on week 1? I'm a little confuzzled...

CC.SD
09-16-2009, 06:07 PM
I think the Chargers are a little high. They looked freakin terrible on monday.

Ugly wins are still wins, the same as Indy, NE, Pitt received. Baltimore should give everyone a better idea of where the Bolts stand.

AntoinCD
09-16-2009, 06:20 PM
I really don't like the Steelers at number 1. They can't run the ball, their offensive line are playing like turnstyles and Polamalu is out now. If Big Ben goes down they are screwed offensively. I would have the Giants as number 1 if they could play for 60 minutes. All throughout their game against Washington I couldn't believe how close the score was but they always seemed to up a gear when it got to the crunch.

I would rate the top 10 as

1. NY Giants-Their defense is just scary and you know they can run the ball. How many WRs do they have that can make plays?
2. Pittsburgh Steelers-What happened to being a pound the ball team. Roethlisberger threw it over 40 times last week. They will struggle to win the AFC North if that continues.
3. New England Patriots-Played very badly and the defense took a huge shot with Mayo getting hurt. But give me Brady in the fourth quarter over anyone.
4. Philadelphia Eagles-McNabb needs to be healthy for them to be good this year. Defensively they had a great showing against Carolina.
5. Baltimore Ravens-500 yards of offense??? Oh right it was against Kansas City. Lets see how they do against San Diego this week.
6. Tennessee Titans-Probably should have beaten the Steelers but came up short in overtime. Didn't really miss Haynesworth but probably need a QB who will win them games.
7. Indianapolis Colts-The Jags kept it close which isn't a good sign but they still got the W. Manning to Wayne is going to be heard a lot in the next few weeks especially with Gonzalez hurt. The defense looked better than in previous years.
8. Atlanta Falcons-Offensively they will be very good and the defense done very well last week with four takeaways against the team who break records last year for not turning it over.
9. San Diego Chargers-A real poor showing against Oakland but like the Steelers, Patriots and Colts they got the win. Will need to be better next week against Baltimore but have an easy division. Should LT be backing up Sproles now?
10. Minnesota Vikings-12 million for 110 yards a game. I think the Vikings front office would take that trade if AD runs for 180 yards and three touchdowns a game. The court ruling allowing the Williams' to play this season is huge for them.

Just missing;

New Orleans Saints
Green Bay Packers
New York Jets

TitanHope
09-16-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm still waiting for an explanation on how the Atlanta ******* Falcons are the 4th best team in the NFL.

I don't think they're 4th, but they played very well against a good Miami team who made the Playoffs last season. We all know about the offense with Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Tony Gonzalez, and Roddy White, but the DEF impressed me most. The signing of Mike Peterson in FA may've been the most under-rated acquisition all offseason. He had an INT, and was active with Curtis Lofton in containing the run. John Abraham was in midseason form, and abused Jake Long. The rest of the DEF was very good as well, especially the DL.

The Dolphins shut down the Falcons running-game too, yet Ryan was able to win the game through the air without a stellar rushing threat. They answered that question of Ryan being protected by an amazing running game, and their DEF stepped up.

Perhaps their ranking has to do something with their ranking among NFC teams? Because you could definitely say that with teams like Carolina struggling and Philly losing McNabb for a bit, that they and NYG are the NFC elite right now after beating solid opponents.

niel89
09-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Ugly wins are still wins, the same as Indy, NE, Pitt received. Baltimore should give everyone a better idea of where the Bolts stand.

Im excited about this game. The Chargers are very talented but if they had trouble with the Raiders level of physicality then Baltimore should be a hand full.

CC.SD
09-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Im excited about this game. The Chargers are very talented but if they had trouble with the Raiders level of physicality then Baltimore should be a hand full.

Should be a good barometer for both teams. Not to mention reveal a little bit about what the hell the deal is with the Chiefs and Raiders giving each more than a run for their money.

MetSox17
09-16-2009, 07:56 PM
I don't think they're 4th, but they played very well against a good Miami team who made the Playoffs last season. We all know about the offense with Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Tony Gonzalez, and Roddy White, but the DEF impressed me most. The signing of Mike Peterson in FA may've been the most under-rated acquisition all offseason. He had an INT, and was active with Curtis Lofton in containing the run. John Abraham was in midseason form, and abused Jake Long. The rest of the DEF was very good as well, especially the DL.

The Dolphins shut down the Falcons running-game too, yet Ryan was able to win the game through the air without a stellar rushing threat. They answered that question of Ryan being protected by an amazing running game, and their DEF stepped up.

Perhaps their ranking has to do something with their ranking among NFC teams? Because you could definitely say that with teams like Carolina struggling and Philly losing McNabb for a bit, that they and NYG are the NFC elite right now after beating solid opponents.

Since when are the Dolphins an impressive team to beat?

Someone needs to clear it up for me, are we using last year as a barometer or not? Because if we aren't, the Falcons have absolutely no business being anywhere near the top five. Everyone knows the Dolphins overachieved their talent last year, and their record was not indicative of the kind of team they were, which is why they were bounced in their first playoff game last year.

This is the team that shut down the Falcons running game? The team that took them to the wire? That team is the 4th best in the NFL? I don't think so.

And the 9ers beat the Cardinals, yet the Cardinals are three, four spots ahead of the 9ers? LOL

tjsunstein
09-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Since when are the Dolphins an impressive team to beat?

Someone needs to clear it up for me, are we using last year as a barometer or not? Because if we aren't, the Falcons have absolutely no business being anywhere near the top five. Everyone knows the Dolphins overachieved their talent last year, and their record was not indicative of the kind of team they were, which is why they were bounced in their first playoff game last year.

This is the team that shut down the Falcons running game? The team that took them to the wire? That team is the 4th best in the NFL? I don't think so.

And the 9ers beat the Cardinals, yet the Cardinals are three, four spots ahead of the 9ers? LOL

You can be tideous over the Rankings all you want, its the way I feel. I didn't expect everyone to agree with them. You can't say well, they beat x team so why is x team ranked ahead of them. Because teams lose games they should win all the time. Like you said, the Cardinals were seconds away from winning the Super Bowl, yet you want them lower? There is no measuring stick for this power rankings, no formula, strictly opinion. If there was a formula, what would the point to posting a different power rankings than nfl.com, espn.com, and so on be?

Why are the Falcons the 4th best team in the NFL? Look who is ahead of them and look who is behind them. Those ahead of them, I feel are better. Those behind, I feel are worse as of this moment in time.

tjsunstein
09-16-2009, 08:59 PM
I agree with your rankings for the most part. I don't think we're the worst team in the AFC West, and I don't think we'll finish there, but that could just be the homer in me talking.

These are subject to change every week. The Chiefs along with the Raiders actually moved up some spots from where I had them in the preseason. I can't overreact to week one and have all the teams that won as the first 16 and the rest sorted by how much they lost by. Week 2 should give us a better idea of where these teams belong.

MetSox17
09-16-2009, 09:09 PM
You can be tideous over the Rankings all you want, its the way I feel. I didn't expect everyone to agree with them. You can't say well, they beat x team so why is x team ranked ahead of them. Because teams lose games they should win all the time. Like you said, the Cardinals were seconds away from winning the Super Bowl, yet you want them lower? There is no measuring stick for this power rankings, no formula, strictly opinion. If there was a formula, what would the point to posting a different power rankings than nfl.com, espn.com, and so on be?

Why are the Falcons the 4th best team in the NFL? Look who is ahead of them and look who is behind them. Those ahead of them, I feel are better. Those behind, I feel are worse as of this moment in time.

That's the worst explanation for a terrible opinion i've ever heard.

tjsunstein
09-16-2009, 09:11 PM
No way would I blame the offensive coordinator. Maybe the defensive coordinator that let Keith Ellison stay out and get burned in coverage on the last two TD.

The comments about the Bills are ********. Our offense was rolling at a better and more consistent pace than the Pats for the entire game other than the last 2 minutes and the offensive coordinator called a great game by using screens and draws that caught the Pats off guard all game. Also, how are we worse than the Dolphins based on week 1? I'm a little confuzzled...

It was more of a question if the offensive coordinator was at fault or not. Notice the question mark. I thought they played very good on offense for the most part as well but I think they have to try to get the ball to Owens, atleast look at him more.

You think the Bills could beat the Dolphins right now because the Dolphins scored 7 in week 1 and the Bills fought it out with the Patriots? You do realize that the Bills lost to the Dolphins twice last year by an average of 12.5 points.

Like I said, everyone can overreact to week 1's games and how their teams did against potential contenders but I refuse to fall for the hype after just one game.

Splat
09-16-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm really looking forword to the Chiefs and Raiders game it should tell alot about the Div.

tjsunstein
09-16-2009, 09:12 PM
That's the worst explanation for a terrible opinion i've ever heard.

Ok. Tell me how it's bad. Who should be above the Falcons?

MetSox17
09-16-2009, 09:40 PM
Ok. Tell me how it's bad. Who should be above the Falcons?

I'm asking for an explanation on why you think the Falcons are 4th, not the other way around. They're your rankings, you did take some time to consider why you placed them where you did, right?

SuperMcGee
09-16-2009, 09:53 PM
It was more of a question if the offensive coordinator was at fault or not. Notice the question mark. I thought they played very good on offense for the most part as well but I think they have to try to get the ball to Owens, atleast look at him more.

You think the Bills could beat the Dolphins right now because the Dolphins scored 7 in week 1 and the Bills fought it out with the Patriots? You do realize that the Bills lost to the Dolphins twice last year by an average of 12.5 points.

Like I said, everyone can overreact to week 1's games and how their teams did against potential contenders but I refuse to fall for the hype after just one game.

The question mark just made you come off like you were trying to be clever with a snap-back question against the obvious.

And I know it's a ranking argument between you two, but I still don't get anything being said regarding the Dolphins. Neither of them are really good teams. The argument regarding how they beat us twice last year seems pointless.

General Zod
09-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Not to bad, I would probally have the Rams at the bottom.

tjsunstein
09-17-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm asking for an explanation on why you think the Falcons are 4th, not the other way around. They're your rankings, you did take some time to consider why you placed them where you did, right?

Of course I put thought into it. I feel like you're disagreeing just to disagree here, though. For the hell of it almost.

Obviously, it's early in the season so you can't gauge a team's true ranking off of one week's game. Sure, the Falcons didn't do anything overly impressive against the Dolphins last week and I would throw some stats from last year at you but apparently last year shoudn't mean anything from what you see in my rankings. My true gut feeling is that if the Falcons played any one team below them in the rankings right now, not when McNabb is healthy, not when LT is healthy, not when Delhomme isn't the suck, that they would beat just about all of them. All of the situations topped with my opinion on other teams happened to slot the Falcons at number 4. Matt Ryan proved to me that he can carry this team when it is lacking their running game. Michael Turner was held under 80 yards 7 times last year. Know how many games the Falcons lost when that happened? 5. What happened Sunday? 65 yards on 22 carries. That shows me a maturing young quarterback who is developing a rapport with his new addition at tight end, Tony Gonzalez. He found a way to win a football game that wasn't going according to game plan. To me, that is scary. It tells me that the offense will beat you even if you shut down the #2 rushing offense from a year ago, tells me that the offense has evolved into a complete force. Tony Gonzalez gives them the target that puts them over the top. Takes away attention from Roddy White and opens up a whole different type of attack.

I considered current state of the team, last year's performance (because it's so early in the season), the week one games, and potential and pretty much rolled it all up and unwrinkled it and this is what I came up with. I'm confident with what the rankings reflect of the NFL right now.

So tell me, since you feel so strongly about it, who should be at #4 if not the Falcons?

Rosebud
09-17-2009, 12:29 AM
I'd put the Colts and Ravens over the Falcons at least.

MetSox17
09-17-2009, 12:46 AM
Of course I put thought into it. I feel like you're disagreeing just to disagree here, though. For the hell of it almost.

Obviously, it's early in the season so you can't gauge a team's true ranking off of one week's game. Sure, the Falcons didn't do anything overly impressive against the Dolphins last week and I would throw some stats from last year at you but apparently last year shoudn't mean anything from what you see in my rankings. My true gut feeling is that if the Falcons played any one team below them in the rankings right now, not when McNabb is healthy, not when LT is healthy, not when Delhomme isn't the suck, that they would beat just about all of them. All of the situations topped with my opinion on other teams happened to slot the Falcons at number 4. Matt Ryan proved to me that he can carry this team when it is lacking their running game. Michael Turner was held under 80 yards 7 times last year. Know how many games the Falcons lost when that happened? 5. What happened Sunday? 65 yards on 22 carries. That shows me a maturing young quarterback who is developing a rapport with his new addition at tight end, Tony Gonzalez. He found a way to win a football game that wasn't going according to game plan. To me, that is scary. It tells me that the offense will beat you even if you shut down the #2 rushing offense from a year ago, tells me that the offense has evolved into a complete force. Tony Gonzalez gives them the target that puts them over the top. Takes away attention from Roddy White and opens up a whole different type of attack.

I considered current state of the team, last year's performance (because it's so early in the season), the week one games, and potential and pretty much rolled it all up and unwrinkled it and this is what I came up with. I'm confident with what the rankings reflect of the NFL right now.

So tell me, since you feel so strongly about it, who should be at #4 if not the Falcons?

Firstly, i think the Eagles with a half healthy McNabb are still better than the Falcons.

I wasn't the one saying i didn't want stats or performance from last year. I either want one, or the other. Some guy in here earlier was saying that it wasn't based off last year, and some people are, but you can't have one standard for one team and not for the rest. With that being said, i think Philadelphia, Baltimore, San Diego, Indianapolis, Tennessee, Dallas, Green Bay, and maybe even Minnesota, are all better teams than the Falcons. And that's no disrespect to Atlanta, i think they have a very good team, and Matt Ryan is an absolute stud, but they're not a top five team to me. The defense hasn't proven anything. Beating up on the Miami Dolphins is nothing to be bragging about. Even more, getting shutdown on the ground by Miami is something to be embarrassed of.

All of the teams i mentioned have defenses A LOT better than Atlanta's. Two of them (Tennessee & Baltimore) have elite defenses that make up for their short comings on offense. The rest of them all have better offenses than Atlanta as well.

And i'm not disagreeing just for the hell of it. I truly, sincerely believe that if Atlanta were to play any of those teams i mentioned in a neutral site right now, all things considered, they would lose.

Caddy
09-17-2009, 12:47 AM
I think the Buccaneers should be somewhere in the early twenties. The whole team played pretty well to be honest. Other than those 3 huge plays, we were well and truly in the game and if our secondary played well could have definitely won the match.

Xenos
09-17-2009, 12:48 AM

I lean towards the former simply because I think if he had led the receiver with the ball then Scrabble would have intercepted it because he was actually in front of Jackson on that play. It was great behind the shoulder catch that thrown with anticipation.

Bucs_Rule
09-17-2009, 06:39 AM
Not to bad, I would probally have the Rams at the bottom.

Losing 28-0 to Seattle is pretty bad. Atleast the Lions put up some points. I expect the Lions to win when they play.

Jakey
09-17-2009, 08:45 AM
The Steelers are gonna need to get the running game going to stay at the top spot.

Personally i'd rather give Rashard Mendenhall or Mewelde Moore a shot at the starting job. Could hurt imo.

DiG
09-17-2009, 09:02 AM
20. Washington Redskins - Ran the ball for 51 yards on 20 carries. The line was manhandled by the Giants, nonetheless but never a good start. The offense could never get into rhythm. No one is giving them a chance in the NFC East and they proved everyone right. Nothing clicks with this team and the 100 million dollar man was a non factor.

I dont necessarily disagree with the Skins being around 20 in the ranking but your write up is misleading and misguided. Portis ran the ball 16 times for 62 yards and Campbell once for 16 yards. As a team we actually ran the ball 85 yards on 20 carries. Your probably including the sacks in your number but that should not count against the rushing yards.

Also, I don't know how you can say Haynesworth was a non factor. He had 4 tackles and some good pressure too. He also contributed to completely shutting down Jacobs down the middle. Bradshaw was the only one who could run to the outside. Overall the Giants actually only averaged 3.3 ypc vs the Skins 4.0.

LizardState
09-17-2009, 10:14 AM

I agree with abaddon here too, switch the 9ers with the Cardinals, they did win on the road.

No Atlanta isn't the 4th best team in the NFL. The Saints are almost as good, maybe better offensively, s/b top ranked in the NFC South.

If you put up or down arrows next to each entry the arrow next to Philly would be down with their injury situation.