PDA

View Full Version : How would you help your QB be successful?

bigbuc
09-18-2009, 07:36 PM
I guess this is for the teams rebuilding ( Rams, Lions, Browns and Chiefs)

Would you build up great Oline and Dlines and run the ball and get after the passer? (Gmen)
How about giving them great skill set guys around them? (Colts, Saints, Pats)
Or would you give them unbelievable defensive teams so if they make a mistake it won't cost you? (Steelers, Ravens)

What do you think is the best way of success is?

Saints-Tigers
09-18-2009, 07:47 PM
I like the Gmen build more. I think someone like the Saints for instance, our receiving corps is deep, but before this year (with Shockey being hurt or not there) it was Colston(who was hurt a lot) Bush (who was hurt a lot) and then a bunch of mediocre guys, with only above average pass protection, and Brees was buying time with his movement in the pocket and completing difficult throws.

I'd rather run the ball, and let my QB strike with play action instead of trying to make too many reads and throws and change ups at the line. I think you move your guy toward that slowly each year.

Splat
09-18-2009, 07:48 PM
OL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

Paul
09-18-2009, 07:51 PM
OL and a big TE.

Brodeur
09-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Not being Marc Bulger is the first step to helping.

21ST
09-18-2009, 08:19 PM
I honestly dont think it is possible for Jason Campbell to be successful

Shiver
09-18-2009, 08:45 PM
You get a dominate OL; a good QB can make mediocre receivers work. Everytime there is a disappointing young QB the franchise tries to add weapons, but how often has that made a difference? Not often, if at all.

tjsunstein
09-18-2009, 08:53 PM
You have to protect your quarterback. Give them the Giants build and watch magic happen. If they don't succeed there then they're not a good quarterback.

eaglesalltheway
09-18-2009, 08:55 PM
A QB does you no good on the ground. You have to get a good OL in front of him, that is the first priority on offense. If possible, build a good D so you don't have to rely on the QB early on in their career, and thirdly, bring in weapons for him, whether it be in the running game or passing game.

Bengalsrocket
09-18-2009, 08:57 PM
You get a dominate OL; a good QB can make mediocre receivers work. Everytime there is a disappointing young QB the franchise tries to add weapons, but how often has that made a difference? Not often, if at all.

Well guys like Peyton Manning had Marvin Harrison there already.

wonderbredd24
09-18-2009, 09:00 PM
From the Browns standpoint, the best thing that would help Quinn is giving him a solid running game. Two things that would help in doing that is replacing St. Clair with a legitimate Right Tackle (Ciron Black in round 2 would be fantastic) and grabbing a bigger back in the middle to late rounds to replace Jamal Lewis and put them behind what would be a very talented OLine like the Giants have been doing the last several years.

It remains to be seen what James Davis can do this year, but as long as they run behind Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, and Alex Mack, they should find yards.

Splat
09-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Trent Green had three straight 4000 yards seasons and other then Gonzo the average fan can't tell you who he was throwing to the reason he could do that is.

http://i33.tinypic.com/5vas5h.jpg

http://i33.tinypic.com/30m0pc0.jpg

eaglesalltheway
09-18-2009, 09:12 PM
Trent Green had three straight 4000 yards seasons and other then Gonzo the average fan can't tell you who he was throwing to the reason he could do that is.

http://i33.tinypic.com/30m0pc0.jpg

I love it when the big men get the love they so rightfully deserve...:)

LookItsAlDavis
09-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Build the O-Line and D-lines first, reliable TE&RB, Fix the rest of the defense, and then add some receivers. So pretty much the opposite of what the Lions and Texans did with Harrington/Carr.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-18-2009, 09:21 PM
I believe that if your QB needs his hand held, he wasn't destined for greatness anyway. Make sure his WRs are at least competent, they don't need to be gamebreakers, but they need to be guys with reliable hands that run solid routes. On the OL, get him a group that can run block, and use the running game as a way to set up simple plays in the passing game. If your QB shows signs, invest in the offensive line, draft a rookie and bring in a couple of solid yet unspectacular veteran free agents. I don't think it's important to have the best OL in the league, because if your QB has no pocket presence, he isn't gonna be great.

Sniper
09-18-2009, 09:26 PM
I believe that if your QB needs his hand held, he wasn't destined for greatness anyway.

If that's the case, why were you mad when Denver traded Cutler?

d34ng3l021
09-18-2009, 09:35 PM
1. Offensive line
a. Run Blocking
b. Pass Blocking

2. Quality RB/RBC

3. Quality TE

4. Quality WRs

Look at the success of young QBs and there are some constants you will find among all their teams: a good running game. Matt Ryan had the 2nd ranked rushing attack. Joe Flacco had the 4th ranked rushing attack. Ben Roethlisberger had the 2nd ranked rushing attack (2nd to a MV led Falcons...so technically 1st). Peyton Manning had the 26th ranked rushing attack and threw 26 or 28 picks. Dan Marino had the 13th ranked rushing attack. Obviously, a talented offensive line can open up holes for talented and not talented RBs, thus taking pressure off of the QB.

As a QB begins to mature as a passer, he will look to the soft handed, tall, zone-hole finding TE in the middle of the field. Then as he begins to get down anticipation and timing with WRs, he will be able to fully utilize all the weapons at his disposal.

Of course, there are plenty of ways to attain success as a QB, but this way seems most ideal for me.

eaglesalltheway
09-18-2009, 09:51 PM
You will find tons of different answers here because it relies on so many different things...
What is already in place with the team. That means players, coaches, management...
The style of young QB you are bringing in.
Cap Space...etc

You really could go on and list a lot of different factors that would go in to how you would build the team because it depends on what the situation is. There are a lot of correct ways to try to build your team with a young QB because of all these different factors...

Splat
09-18-2009, 09:54 PM
What do you think is the best way of success is?

Keep Jessica Simpson away.

vidae
09-18-2009, 10:02 PM
I love the build through the trenches outlook to building a franchise. If you have a franchise QB, you build the offensive line first. Make sure he's protected, otherwise it's all for nothing. The QB is the most important position on the field in most cases (unless you have Purple Jesus, then any 40+ year old bumpkin will do) so you have to be smart about it.

YAYareaRB
09-18-2009, 10:06 PM
I'd like to build a great O-Line. I think that's the key to success on offense. In the 49ers situation, a great O-Line and D-line would totally turn this team around.

JT Jag
09-18-2009, 10:14 PM

http://i33.tinypic.com/30m0pc0.jpg[/thread]

Seriously. It all starts in the trenches. A great offensive line is the lifeblood of a good running game and makes the job of a quarterback a whole lot easier because he doesn't have to worry about being on his back all game.

Likewise, a great defensive line both shuts down the run game and keeps quarterbacks from getting in a rhythm, making the job of the entire secondary easier.

CJSchneider
09-18-2009, 10:22 PM
O - line for sure.

Dam8610
09-18-2009, 10:41 PM
I honestly think the most surefire way to develop a QB into a productive starter is not about who or what you put around him, but how you choose to develop him. I think the best way to develop a QB is to slowly groom him into being able to run the offense you need. This means starting out with a lot of short, high-percentage throws which will build confidence, and slowly expanding the playbook to include riskier plays and tougher throws until eventually your QB can do anything your offense may need from him.

Xonraider
09-18-2009, 10:48 PM
If you're Al Davis then defensive backzzz!!!

Sniper
09-18-2009, 10:50 PM
I would draft Tate Forcier, thus eliminating the need for anyone else.

Nalej
09-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Let him sit the first year and learn.
Build your OLine.
Give him a talented slot receiver and/or TE for dump off's

Iamcanadian
09-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Obviously a solid LT must be found to protect the young QB. Then in his 1st couple of years depending on how far along he is in his abilities, you can simplify the offense to make it easier for a QB until he is ready to take on a full load. Once the HC decides his young QB is ready he can put in a far more sophisticated offense.
In the end, if the young QB is mentally tough and a strong leader he will win, if he lacks these qualities he will flop no matter how much talent you have on your team. I don't believe a player with talent who is mentally tough, can be a flop no matter how poorly he is handled by his original team. A switch of scenery to another team should allow his talent to flourish. Most of the QB's who flop with their original team also flop with their next team because they aren't mentally tough enough to handle failure.

bigbluedefense
09-19-2009, 11:46 AM
The Giants while having probably the best run blocking unit in the league, have average pass protection and an OC that leaves a lot to be desired....

I get what everyone is saying, and superficially its true, but its not really accurate on the Giants.

As for the best way to develop a qb, give me a combination of the Andy Reid regime and how Aaron Rodgers was handled. Except run the ball instead of throwing it 40 times a game.

Surround the qb with a strong and deep oline, a great defense and let him sit and learn. Who cares what perception is on the outside, if you have strong management who is willing to stick with its coaches and let its young qb develop slowly, thats truely the best way to make him successful. That and talent around him of course.

Aaron Rodgers wouldve been a bust if he started from year 1. But he's one of the upcoming great qbs of this league. His development played a huge part in it.

Rosebud
09-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Giants build: Get a beastly OL, strong collection of backs and an amazing defense with a number one receiver to shift coverage!

bigbluedefense
09-19-2009, 11:55 AM
orrr you can just do the exact opposite of what the Texans did, and what the Lions have done since the beginning of mankind.

MetSox17
09-19-2009, 12:04 PM
The Giants while having probably the best run blocking unit in the league, have average pass protection and an OC that leaves a lot to be desired....

I get what everyone is saying, and superficially its true, but its not really accurate on the Giants.

As for the best way to develop a qb, give me a combination of the Andy Reid regime and how Aaron Rodgers was handled. Except run the ball instead of throwing it 40 times a game.

Surround the qb with a strong and deep oline, a great defense and let him sit and learn. Who cares what perception is on the outside, if you have strong management who is willing to stick with its coaches and let its young qb develop slowly, thats truely the best way to make him successful. That and talent around him of course.

Aaron Rodgers wouldve been a bust if he started from year 1. But he's one of the upcoming great qbs of this league. His development played a huge part in it.

Yes, it's the best way to do it, but not every team has had the luxury of sitting their future QB on the bench for three years.

Honestly, he was there more by circumstance than by the Packers actually wanting him to sit for that long. They stumbled into a successful Aaron Rodgers. Like you said, had he started day 1 he probably busts, and you bet your ass he would have started if Favre would have retired. No chance in hell that they wait that long with mediocre QB play.

When you think about it, getting a QB should be one of the last things you do when building a team, that way when he comes in the team is ready to make up for the lack of experience the young and talented QB will have. But with the media and fans the way they are, there simply is no room for teams to put out a crap product out there for their fans, and coincidentally, that's what causes all these failures at the QB position. Mishandling by coaching staffs and FO's.

bigbluedefense
09-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Yes, it's the best way to do it, but not every team has had the luxury of sitting their future QB on the bench for three years.

Honestly, he was there more by circumstance than by the Packers actually wanting him to sit for that long. They stumbled into a successful Aaron Rodgers. Like you said, had he started day 1 he probably busts, and you bet your ass he would have started if Favre would have retired. No chance in hell that they wait that long with mediocre QB play.

When you think about it, getting a QB should be one of the last things you do when building a team, that way when he comes in the team is ready to make up for the lack of experience the young and talented QB will have. But with the media and fans the way they are, there simply is no room for teams to put out a crap product out there for their fans, and coincidentally, that's what causes all these failures at the QB position. Mishandling by coaching staffs and FO's.

you're right. that is the best way considering the circumstances in today's league.

i just wish more franchises had the balls to do it the right way though. if you can develop the guy to be your franchise qb for the next 10+ years, its worth waiting 3 years for. If you think super long term, its actually the smart move, but everyone is just so impatient, and they just keep recycling the position every 5 years or so bc they screwed it up the first time.

Bengalsrocket
09-19-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't think it's worth waiting 3 years for a QB. Besides, it's really hard to tell when you're going to get a chance to grab a QB again. A team has to grab the first guy they can potentially see their franchise' future with, regardless of the surrounding cast.

Now after you have your QB, I can see waiting maybe a year (I know Aaron Rodgers waited longer, and that seemed to be good for him, but that was a really unusual circumstance). But the sooner you get him out on the field he'll become more experienced for future years of the franchise.

If you can't get yourself a decent (note: I'm not saying all-pro, just a line you can trust) enough O-line in 2 years for your QB to stand behind, then you need to be fired as a GM or coach anyways.

aNYtitan
09-19-2009, 03:00 PM
If you were going to help you QB, why would you want a great D-Line.? Maybe to get him the ball back, but to help him he needs to have good blindside protection, plus decent tackles and a reliable running game or a trustworthy receiver.

MetSox17
09-19-2009, 03:28 PM
I don't think it's worth waiting 3 years for a QB. Besides, it's really hard to tell when you're going to get a chance to grab a QB again. A team has to grab the first guy they can potentially see their franchise' future with, regardless of the surrounding cast.

Now after you have your QB, I can see waiting maybe a year (I know Aaron Rodgers waited longer, and that seemed to be good for him, but that was a really unusual circumstance). But the sooner you get him out on the field he'll become more experienced for future years of the franchise.

If you can't get yourself a decent (note: I'm not saying all-pro, just a line you can trust) enough O-line in 2 years for your QB to stand behind, then you need to be fired as a GM or coach anyways.

Look at Carson Palmer. When the offensive line was good in Cincinnati, and when Rudi Johnson still had legs, he was very, very good. He played like an MVP his second year.

It's no coincidence that as the team and offensive line started deteriorating, so did his play. He started forcing balls, making pressured reads, getting into bad mechanics, all the bad habits that develop when there's shoddy offensive line play.

Honestly, a team can win with a decent QB. Look at the Giants. Look at the Steelers. Neither of them have elite QBs, yet they're both able to put up those W's. They have surrounded the team with talent and ability, all that coupled with great coaching and you have the recipe for instant success.

E-Man
09-19-2009, 03:56 PM
I'd build the line before anything. If my QB has 4-6 seconds to make his reads, things would go alot smoother.

Bengalsrocket
09-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Look at Carson Palmer. When the offensive line was good in Cincinnati, and when Rudi Johnson still had legs, he was very, very good. He played like an MVP his second year.

It's no coincidence that as the team and offensive line started deteriorating, so did his play. He started forcing balls, making pressured reads, getting into bad mechanics, all the bad habits that develop when there's shoddy offensive line play.

Honestly, a team can win with a decent QB. Look at the Giants. Look at the Steelers. Neither of them have elite QBs, yet they're both able to put up those W's. They have surrounded the team with talent and ability, all that coupled with great coaching and you have the recipe for instant success.

Yes, I don't disagree with anything you said. The point of my post was that you shouldn't wait 3 years. If you need 3 years to put a QB and an offensive line in play, then you're not doing your job right.

One of the thing that separates the good franchises from the bad is usually their ability to maintain an upkeep on their offensive lines(and defensive lines, though that's not the topic of discussion here), including depth. Bad franchises sometimes get good lines, but they don't hold onto them for long.

BlindSite
09-20-2009, 12:26 AM
If you're rebuilding a team you need to do the following:

Offensive Line
Running back
Defensive line / Linebackers
Quarterback - Vet receiver
Young receivers
secondary

imo, with a good front seven a lot of defensive deficiency in the secondary can be masked.

holt_bruce81
09-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Rams have already spent a crap load of money on rebuilding their O-Line.

the decider13
09-20-2009, 12:36 AM
To make Kyle Orton better I would replace him with Jake Locker.

aNYtitan
09-20-2009, 12:47 AM
To make Kyle Orton better I would replace him with a walk on from a WAC college.

Fixed it for you

TACKLE
09-20-2009, 01:08 AM

You spelled Jacory Harris wrong.

Halsey
09-20-2009, 01:19 AM
The best way is to put good players around the QB. The more the better. There's no one formula that works. Obviously a QB needs an O-line that blocks, but playmakers are important too. If having quality pass catchers wasn't important then why does a team like the Steelers have a first round WR, a first round TE, a second round WR, a highly paid vet WR who was a third rounder, a rookie 3rd rounder and RB's who can catch. Many fans seem to think they're being so hardcore and on top of things when they echo cliches like "It's all about the trenches!". If the lines were the only thing that mattered teams wouldn't ever spend high picks or big money on other positions.

LonghornsLegend
09-20-2009, 10:16 AM
I like what Baltimore has done with Flacco. Great O-line, running game, and defense, not having to take too many risky throws as a rookie, but slowly looks like their opening things up for him.

They pretty much have everything in place for him to suceed, when they get him a legit #1 WR we could really see him take a leap as far as how good he really is, his deep ball and arm strength are really elite. Can you imagine him with a speed guy who can get behind the defense consistently?

I see the same scenario with Sanchez, weapons can come later. But you HAVE to block, run the ball, and play defense, probably in that order. Running the ball comes with your Line blocking well, but you need a good defense so your QB isn't asked to score 30 points a game.

Everyone wants to say Sanchez played so much better then Stafford last week, but look at their situations. Stafford was playing from behind all game by multiple scores, and he needed to force balls and play completely different while Sanchez had a huge lead the entire game and was able to rely on the ground game. Those things make a QB's job much easier. I like what Detroit has done with Stafford in the weapons alot, if they focus on the offensive line the next year or 2 I think he'll be just fine.

BuddyCHRIST
09-20-2009, 10:18 AM
I would try to have a good WR there before hand, it seems QBs develop more successfully when a good WR is there already compared when teams try to get WR afterwards to help. Hard to develop both those positions together.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-20-2009, 11:59 AM
My QB is Jake Delhomme so id make him successful by running the wildcat with DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart 50 times a game

Babylon
09-20-2009, 12:10 PM

You're almost shameless.

vikes_28
09-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Tell Favre to GTFO.

Job
09-20-2009, 12:24 PM
I was a big fan of the Lions' drafting Pettigrew as I value a good all-around TE like no other, them being the best mix between additional protection and receiving threat, especially with the TE usually being such a safety valve for a young QB.

jballa838
09-20-2009, 12:59 PM
In order:
Defense
Running game
playmakers