PDA

View Full Version : Would you let this kid score a TD?

CJSchneider
09-18-2009, 10:18 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/1452971.html

I have to admit, my first reaction, one mixed with some humor and some absolute seriousness was to think to myself, "I wouldn't let the kid score."

Then I read this line -

And so Matt Ziesel ran a sweep to the right and just kept going. This time, it was McCamy making sure he was close enough to be heard — running down the sideline alongside Matt, yelling as loud as he could.

“Come on, Matty! They’re coming!” McCamy yelled, making the play as real as possible for Ziesel.

Sometimes, it's those things that we do that mean little or nothing to us which mean the whole world to another. In the end, I decided I would let him score.

So, the question stands.

What would you have done?

Canadian_kid16
09-18-2009, 10:25 PM
let him score...if for no other reason than I wouldn't want to face the public humiliation I would receive if I did tackle him

yo123
09-18-2009, 10:26 PM
I can think of no legitimate reason to tackle him.

Shane P. Hallam
09-18-2009, 10:30 PM
IMk5sMHj58I

YAYareaRB
09-18-2009, 10:30 PM
I would definitely let him score. End of the game in a blowout.. This TD, these 6 points mean the world to this kid. I thought it was awesome for both teams to cooperate. Here's the clip of it.

8ylwXOxKb7I

fischbowl
09-18-2009, 10:37 PM
This isn't the SPECIAL OLYMPICS, gentlemen!

Just kidding, I'd definitely let him score, my sister is in the same situation

GB12
09-18-2009, 10:42 PM
If you say no you are a douche. It's freshmen football, they were up by 46 points, and the kid had down syndrome. The game was already over, the difference between 46-0 and 46-6 is nothing, especially when you let the TD score on purpose. The winning team can still feel good about a big win and by all accounts but the scoreboard the defense can celebrate it as a shutout.

YAYareaRB
09-18-2009, 10:43 PM
We had this preseason jamboree when I was in 10th grade. We played this team called Pacific Grove who was the host and on that team was a kid with DS named Seymour. In the huddle when he came in.. We decided by ourselves that we would let him gain yards but we would wrap him up and let him come down on his own so it didn't look like we were completely letting him do it. One of the other guys in the huddle approached their coach and said that we would let him run plays. That was probably the only night we got cheered on by the other teams crowd seeing that everyone around here hated our guts.

eaglesalltheway
09-18-2009, 10:44 PM
For sure you let him score. I can't think of any reason not to. Here is a large group of people that realize there are far more important things in life than football, and this kid gets to live out a dream of his. (hell, its anyone's dream, really) I am very happy for Matt Ziesel, his parents, coaches, team and the opponent. Just a great story all around.

GB12
09-18-2009, 10:45 PM
On a mostly unrelated note; I was reading the sports section on jsonline and took a look at the high school scoreboard and noticed that the Wisconsin deaf team played the Missouri deaf team. I am very intrigued by how that works.

YAYareaRB
09-18-2009, 10:49 PM
On a mostly unrelated note; I was reading the sports section on jsonline and took a look at the high school scoreboard and noticed that the Wisconsin deaf team played the Missouri deaf team. I am very intrigued by how that works.

i'm pretty sure its the same as other schools except for hand signals. deaf people and people fluent in sign language are experts at reading faces and expressions.

kalbears13
09-18-2009, 10:53 PM

My high school had a big DHH program where kids from all over Orange County would be bussed into. There were always deaf kids on the team and a lot of them were pretty good. There was never really a problem. They could figure out when the whistle was blown, since most of them weren't completely deaf. But even if you couldn't hear the whistle you could figure out generally when the play was over. You really don't need to have hearing in football and isn't a huge disadvantage.

GB12
09-18-2009, 10:56 PM
i'm pretty sure its the same as other schools except for hand signals. deaf people and people fluent in sign language are experts at reading faces and expressions.That wasn't the part I was confused about

My high school had a big DHH program where kids from all over Orange County would be bussed into. There were always deaf kids on the team and a lot of them were pretty good. There was never really a problem. They could figure out when the whistle was blown, since most of them weren't completely deaf. But even if you couldn't hear the whistle you could figure out generally when the play was over. You really don't need to have hearing in football and isn't a huge disadvantage.
This was. That situation seems a bit different though. This seems to be two full teams of only deaf people, and would assume most are completely deaf.

vidae
09-18-2009, 11:01 PM
I see no reason to not let him score. Like the article said, everyone walked away winners, and that kid will remember his touchdown for the rest of his life.

kalbears13
09-18-2009, 11:04 PM
That wasn't the part I was confused about

This was. That situation seems a bit different though. This seems to be two full teams of only deaf people, and would assume most are completely deaf.

Well when you're playing, you can usually tell when the play was over without hearing the whistle. But usually referees wave their arms when the play is over too. Our team rarely had problems and if there ever was, we'd just explain that he's deaf and they'd let it go.

jackalope
09-18-2009, 11:27 PM
I actually refereed a 1st and 2nd grade flag football game years ago. The game was pretty much decided and neither of the coaches cared, so they decided to let one of the really young kids run for a touchdown. He gets the ball and the defense lets him go. His teammates were running down the field with him, and when he got to about the five yard line his own teammate pulled his flag off. The kid didn't really understand what happened or care. Instead of blowing the whistle, I just started laughing.

aNYtitan
09-18-2009, 11:27 PM
Just let him score, you wouldnt be accepted into any college being known as the guy who tackled the player with down syndrome

jayceheathman
09-18-2009, 11:34 PM
That article has a girl that hates that everyone let him score but I bet she would hate it if someone tackled him really hard. That post by that person was horrible. All you have to do is see that kid's reaction when he hits the endzone to see how much that meant to him.

tjsunstein
09-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Great story. Really shows that there are bigger things in life than sports. This kid will remember that for the rest of his life.

DoughBoy
09-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Scored 1 more TD than I ever did in high school.... :(

El Peefs?????
09-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Man, imagine how great the video would have been if some kid came running in and laid a hit stick on the kid. Admit it, you would have lol'd.

I would imagine the end result would be something like this..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/Kraqah/Owned-RetardRally.jpg

nrk
09-19-2009, 04:44 AM
If it's a blow out yeah. If I was in high school and still immature while it being semi-close, I probably would not have let him.

The_Dude
09-19-2009, 08:16 AM
Of course you let the kid score. What kind of a heartless bastard wouldn't?

Rosebud
09-19-2009, 11:20 AM
All of you saying you'd let him score would be laughing your asses off if two guys came up and Not Another Team Movie'd him.

sbh15
09-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Let me start by saying I would 100% let him score in that situation, really in almost any situation. But I kept waiting for some kid to come from the left side of the screen out of nowhere and just wreck him. I'm probably a terrible person for thinking that...

yo123
09-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Let me start by saying I would 100% let him score in that situation, really in almost any situation. But I kept waiting for some kid to come from the left side of the screen out of nowhere and just wreck him. I'm probably a terrible person for thinking that...

You are, but you're not alone.

The_Dude
09-19-2009, 04:06 PM
All of you saying you'd let him score would be laughing your asses off if two guys came up and Not Another Team Movie'd him.

Oh, for sure. I would have peed my pants if someone would have flattened him. But still, you have to let that kid score. Its way more than just a touchdown.

Rosebud
09-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Oh, for sure. I would have peed my pants if someone would have flattened him. But still, you have to let that kid score. Its way more than just a touchdown.

How? It's not like he's actually accomplishing anything. He's just proving that people feel bad enough for him to let him score. It's like pity sex, that doesn't mean you've got game, just that you're so sad and pathetic that people feel bad for you.

yo123
09-19-2009, 04:36 PM
How? It's not like he's actually accomplishing anything. He's just proving that people feel bad enough for him to let him score. It's like pity sex, that doesn't mean you've got game, just that you're so sad and pathetic that people feel bad for you.

That obviously didn't bother him, did you see his reaction after the play? He was pumped.

CJSchneider
09-19-2009, 07:09 PM

On some levels, that is a true statement. In my opinion, the bigger accomplishment was that on that day a group of people decided to allow one person's happiness weigh more then their personal goals and ego.

vidae
09-19-2009, 07:35 PM

Who cares? In the end you still got laid.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Why would I let him score when I can get a TFL, then a FF, then a FR and TD? I can always use some extra stats for my dad to keep track of.

09-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Seriously though I had gym class in high school with two special needs students. One was severely autistic and couldn't participate in anything, and the other had Down's Syndrome and played the games with us. I've told this story here before, but basically the rule was that if he was playing, you let him score when he tried. I always made it look like I was trying though, and I'm glad to see the kids in this video at least feign some pursuit and not standing around doing nothing. I figure it makes a difference if he thinks people are trying to stop him.

Bosanac01
09-19-2009, 08:12 PM
let him score. The fact that people sorry for him will not bother him and it doesn't matter. The only thing that does matter is that the kid is happy and feels he can accomplish almost anything. The sad this is, this kid will think he can play in the NFL right now.

Thunder&Lightning
09-19-2009, 08:27 PM
will be featured on ESPN soon

GB12
09-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Seriously though I had gym class in high school with two special needs students. One was severely autistic and couldn't participate in anything, and the other had Down's Syndrome and played the games with us. I've told this story here before, but basically the rule was that if he was playing, you let him score when he tried. I always made it look like I was trying though, and I'm glad to see the kids in this video at least feign some pursuit and not standing around doing nothing. I figure it makes a difference if he thinks people are trying to stop him.
I seem to remember that you tried a little too hard and ended up blocking it.

Rosebud
09-19-2009, 08:54 PM
At my high school we had a pretty autistic kid who was just a dominate shooter, granted I watched him try and walk through a wooden door that had a small window which tricked him, but give him a basketball and kid was kobe.

AJHawk50
09-22-2009, 01:16 AM
I think that's pretty cool they did that.

steel man
09-22-2009, 08:36 AM
i would for sure let him score. you know how good it feels if you ever have been the best at something .....well times that by 10 and i am sure thats how good that kid felt.

Good Job guys.....both sides

Vikes99ej
09-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Potential 2-star recruit, I hear the Gophers had scouts at the game

Gay Ork Wang
09-22-2009, 11:16 AM
I seem to remember that you tried a little too hard and ended up blocking it.
yea and he looked like a douche.

SABF IS A DOUCHE! HE WOULDNT LET THE KID SCORE!

The_Dude
09-22-2009, 11:24 AM
On some levels, that is a true statement. In my opinion, the bigger accomplishment was that on that day a group of people decided to allow one person's happiness weigh more then their personal goals and ego.

Once again, CJ sums it all up for us.

drowe
09-22-2009, 03:44 PM
I will start by saying that I would let the kid score. Not much question about it. But, looking at the big picture, I feel it's a little more complicated than the scoreboard.

-seems like something like this happens every year. and, it also seems like it's a big story everytime it happens. which is somewhat disturbing. Because now every parent with a special needs child is gonna read it and send their kid out for the football team thinking they'll get their magic moment, when 9 times out of 10, there won't be the perfect situation of a blowout game and an understanding opposing team. so, the guy will spend the whole year standing on the sidelines......

-...which, callous as it may sound, is where he should be. there's a certain amount of integrity to HS sports, no matter what level. high school is really the first time in life when it's not just about showing up. ya gotta earn your grades. ya gotta earn your playing time. it's not a time when people are given participation trophies. I've always been impressed with the opportunities that exist for special needs children. Special Olympics, Group Homes, etc. It's not like playing high school sports is the only opportunity they're given to excel at something.

-and, what about the 4th string RB that just isn't good enough to see the field. how does he feel watching a DS kid get a garbage time romp down the field while he's watching on the sidelines?

yeah. i let the kid score. and i think the kids on the field made the right choice to let the kid score. but, this thread was started as a debate, and i'm bored at work, so, i thought it'd be fun to come down on the other side.

CJSchneider
09-22-2009, 06:05 PM
I appreciate your role as the devils advocate.

Vikes99ej
09-22-2009, 06:07 PM
7Ycdpxu51OA

Rosebud
09-22-2009, 06:15 PM
hahaha, seeing that kid wiff was great. Oh god, I'm going to hell.

CJSchneider
09-22-2009, 06:17 PM

You won't be alone, I assure you.

Rosebud
09-22-2009, 06:19 PM
You won't be alone, I assure you.

I look forward to it.

Raiderz4Life
09-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Terrible....i feel so bad for laughing....o sweet pearl

The_Dude
09-22-2009, 08:30 PM

I was watching it with the sound off, so i didn't know exactly what it was about, but i was guessing that he was blind. I scrolled down to read this and then scrolled back up to watch the kid completely miss the block.... my guess was confirmed and i laughed my ass off so loud that my wife calld me a "r etard" and kicked me out of the living room. I am still laughing, alone in my basement.

When i die, a hole in the ground is just going to open up underneath me and take me straight to hell.

TitanHope
09-22-2009, 10:13 PM
7Ycdpxu51OA

Yeah, laughed the entire time through that.

I blocked the shot of a mentally handicapped student in middle school P.E. once. He was a lot bigger than me though, and the next go, totally boxed my scrawny butt out and scored on a lay up. Then he just turned around and gave me this look...

09-22-2009, 10:42 PM
I actually played football with a mentally handicapped guy on my team. It was our high school team, and we were damn good(champions, we did lose one game, but half our team was missing on school trips). He played nose tackle. He wasn't obviously handicapped or anything(no Downs or autism), so most other teams just thought he was terrible. For 2 years, he was content with the whole not playing except when we were blowing a team out thing. But when I was in grade 12, and he was in grade 11, he got PISSED. The practice the week half the team was missing, the coaches were pissed and trying to assemble a lineup of the like 18 people available. So they asked him to go in at Nose, but he didn't do it. The coaches were like "Alex, get in there" and he's like "no, you guys will just take me right out!" and then they kicked him out of practice for a week. Then during the championship week, our starting nose tackle hurt his knee in practice, and he was out. So they went with a rotation of our C/DE, and me(I'm a terrible Nose tackle though, so after a while I was like coach, I'm terrible, I can't go out there, they'll keep running at me). So at one point, our offense comes off the field, I go to the sideline and I talk to him, and I was like hey hows it going? And he was like "This sucks, I'm not gonna get to play!" and I was like "well, you never know man, keep your head up." and he was like "No, because they're gonna go with Joey or put YOU in!" and I was just like uhhh....

So I see where Drowe is coming from. When you get to a competitive level of athletics, it's difficult to include everyone in a real way, and they get upset, thinking they should be in there, when really, they aren't good enough. Plus, they can get hurt out there if you send them out in real game situations. Like this guy constantly looked like a deer in the headlights. Constantly. Had no idea what to do. When we played bigger teams, he could get hurt.

Also one time on another team, a guy who had to have something wrong with him tried out. He was even worse than the first guy I talked about. At least the first guy was really big. And our OL coach was a hardass and this guy also tried to play nose. So of course every single one of us OL wanted a piece of this kid to look good and not have to go against another one of our DL(who were really, really good). He even got his **** destroyed by one of our guards during walkthroughs. He was cut before the first preseason game. It was just too much of a risk to himself for him to be out there.

Brent
09-23-2009, 09:20 AM
7Ycdpxu51OA
the 1:12 mark is where it gets hilarious

vikes_28
09-23-2009, 11:19 AM
I played football with a handicapped guy in high school. We called him Forest Gump. He was so freakin fast and he actually started as our running back. He wasn't you're typical kid with down syndrome, he was smart, and boy could he run. Since I played with a handicapped guy, I would have let this kid score. It's a heartwarming story (and now I'm blushing like a little girl), but nonetheless, it's touching.

I also knew a guy that was deaf on a different team from my hometown. He played QB. He was all-state last year (senior year). He was a baller.

CJSchneider
09-23-2009, 11:20 AM
the 1:12 mark is where it gets hilarious

Bees! Bees! Get 'em of me! Get 'em off!!!

vikes_28
09-23-2009, 11:30 AM
Bees! Bees! Get 'em of me! Get 'em off!!!

:(

(10 chars)

iowatreat54
09-23-2009, 11:34 AM
There was an article in our local paper about a story similar to this.

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=323321

Kinda different because it's a JV game, but his TD tied the game. It was just cool to read about a kid that loves football, and the team tries to line him up as much as they can but he never sees any action. Also nice to read that the opposing coach recognized it and wanted to lend a hand.

This article even mentions how scoring this TD meant the world to the player, so I'm assuming it might be the same for the original story.

CJSchneider
09-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Here is another question. Should this kid have scored?

http://arkansasvarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=992976

PackerLegend
09-24-2009, 04:41 PM
I got a good chuckle out of watching the blind kid block. Im awful I know, being blind would really really suck. I mean there young but he could seriously get drilled.

Vox Populi
09-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Am I a bad person if when I watched the video I laughed and said "haha, ******' downie" ?

I'd let him score though.

brat316
09-24-2009, 05:17 PM
I'll take Thamail Morgan on Temple's football team.

TitleTown088
09-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Let someone score a TD? That's retar...