PDA

View Full Version : We Overrated our Secondary Big time

SeanTaylorRIP
09-20-2009, 04:12 PM
Before the season most of us me included thought we had one of the best secondaries in the league but our secondary is simply poor. It is probably the weakest unit on our defense. We are getting plenty of pressure, our secondary simply just sucks. First of all a lot of us thinking our secondary was so good was because we all love Landry. Trust me I love him too and he is an aggressive freak, but right now he isn't anywhere near pro bowl level. Chris Horton is outplaying him big time. Landry first of all needs to take a tackling class. The guy simply has no technique tackling. He takes horrible angles and just goes for the kill shot. He probably has one of the highest missed tackle totals in the league. In coverage he's decent but his ball recognition is not great. For our corners to be honest I think Fred Smoot is the most balanced corner we have. Deangelo Hall is an absolute joke and Carlos Rogers really is not playing great this year. His quickness is really poor. This secondary has no excuse for being so poor.

2 Live Crew
09-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Pretty much agree here...Hall is just putrid. Rogers is decent...maybe he's still feeling effects from his injury in preseason? Smoot is just average, except sometimes he whiffs on his tackles because he goes Deion style by just diving at the ankles.

Horton has been better than Landry I agree...

The biggest problem with all of them is that they give such a huge cushion off the line to WR's. Now are they told to do this by Blache...I don't know. Either way, it is a problem...gives up wayyyy to many easy passing yards. It really kills us on 3rd downs.

Every single game...3rd and 8...we play off the WR's...they run 9 yards, turn and catch a first down like clockwork.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah problem is we play off despite having the most horrific tackling corners in the NFL.

DiG
09-20-2009, 09:47 PM
i thought the secondary was fine today. i agree i was disapointed against the giants but today although they werent amazing they werent bad either. i know it was the rams but nonetheless they held them to 7 pts and didnt give up any big plays other than sjax run. something to keep an eye on yes but i wouldnt say im disapointed or scared about our secondary yet.

Sniper
10-24-2009, 01:01 PM
Who do you expect to cover DeSean Jackson on Monday?

DiG
10-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Who do you expect to cover DeSean Jackson on Monday?

as it turns out no one.

BurgundyRevolution
10-30-2009, 03:26 PM
as it turns out no one.

That was embarrasing.

GatorsBullsFan
10-30-2009, 04:37 PM
When you have bad CBs it doesn't make the Safeties look good at all

SeanTaylorRIP
10-30-2009, 05:05 PM
I'm fairly happy with the safety play although I still contend Horton should be out there instead of Doughty. I love Landry and he's only had a few lapses in coverage but he by far as the most missed tackles in the NFL. His ratio of misses to tackles is probably like 5:1.

treyskins
11-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Team Chemistry plays a large part in the disappointing effort from the secondary.

N.F.L.
=
Not For Long.

A couple of years ago we had springs/rogers/taylor and landry with fred smoot in reserve.

Now springs and taylor are gone, carlos rogers looks like he is playing his way out of here(jerry gray reckons hall is our number 1 corner?-crazy.) and landry is fading fast.Very doubtful he will be here after his rookie contract is up.

The secondary is going to take a few years of rebuilding.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-09-2009, 09:04 AM
But Landry, Doughty, Rogers, and Smoot have been playing together for a long time, and Deangelo and Horton have been here for at least 2 years. I don't buy this no chemistry stuff. In NFL time that is long enough for guys to develop into a cohesive unit. The fact is that Landry will never play into team concept, Hall will never take off his dress, Smoot will never stay healthy, and Rogers will never stop biting on double moves.

brat316
11-09-2009, 09:49 AM
How come Landry was so good as a rookie with Sean Taylor around? Was it cause they just let him roam around really and play near the line?

DiG
11-09-2009, 10:09 AM
How come Landry was so good as a rookie with Sean Taylor around? Was it cause they just let him roam around really and play near the line?

sean taylor made everyone in our secondary better. i still believe landry is a good safety but hes simply inconsistent on his tackling. hes still very good in coverage. it may be that he is over confident on his speed, it may be poor coaching. there are times he looks like a stud and shows what he can do and there are times he takes poor angles and whifs. it could be that he is more comfortable near the line but as long as our coaches continue to put players in places where we have a needs vs where they belong it wont get fixed.

critesy
11-16-2009, 01:26 PM
lol at the secondary. oh man.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
11-16-2009, 01:35 PM
I didn't watch yesterdays game but the highlights indicate your secondary is so pathetic. How do you leave people WIDE open like you guys did. Just crazy to see such good talent in your secondary and they are playing like bums

DiG
11-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I didn't watch yesterdays game but the highlights indicate your secondary is so pathetic. How do you leave people WIDE open like you guys did. Just crazy to see such good talent in your secondary and they are playing like bums

carlos has given up in dc. im not surprised to see him getting beat so badly out there based on his current attitude but to an extent you'd think he would be at least playing for a new contract somewhere else. i mean just listen to his quotes after the game:

"It's nothing new to me," Rogers said. "Anything that happens around here ain't nothing new to me. I went through it last year. I was benched after the first half of the season I had. I didn't really worry about it, and I'm not really going to think about it. I ain't even going to think about no future here."

smoot actually played pretty well in rogers place. dhall got beat long by marshall for a td but then he turned around and got an int that probably won the game for us. he is what he is at this point, a below average tackler that will get beat on some plays but hes still a playmaker as well.

i cant imagine many circumstances where rogers is a redskin next year. we will definitely need to address cb this offseason. there are actually 4-5 decent fa cbs out there though that could come in and start for us that id be fine with. ive also been moving haden up my big board for the skins more and more each week.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-16-2009, 02:10 PM
Hall only has hands . He doesn't have any other defensive skills. Basically he's a WR playing CB. All he's good at is locating the ball and grabbing it. It certainly helps though when the ball is underthrown by a good 15 yards. Still while he has good ball skills if he is near the receiver, the receiver will always bring it down over him.

2 Live Crew
11-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Hall only has hands . He doesn't have any other defensive skills. Basically he's a WR playing CB. All he's good at is locating the ball and grabbing it. It certainly helps though when the ball is underthrown by a good 15 yards. Still while he has good ball skills if he is near the receiver, the receiver will always bring it down over him.

Co-sign......

D-Unit
11-16-2009, 03:07 PM
You know what's going to be tough? The draft class for CBs is terribly weak... and so is the FA class.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-16-2009, 03:11 PM
The most horrendous thing is that Orakpo, Carter, Haynesworth and Golston get major pressure every play. It's the first time we've had that in I can't even remember how long. The CB's never have to be in coverage for an extended period of time but they still suck majorly. I'm praying for Parrish Cox in the 2nd. He can help us not only at corner but in the return game.

killa3312
11-16-2009, 11:36 PM
If you guys are looking for CBs who can make tackles, Joe Haden is your man.

He's also pretty darn good in coverage, too.

HawkeyeFan
11-17-2009, 08:48 PM
If you think your secondary is bad, I'll trade you OJ Atogwe for LaRon Landry?

critesy
11-18-2009, 11:28 PM
im so heart-broken over carlos. he was actually one of the best corners last year if only he had hands. his season last year would of been amazing. but then the coaches jizz their pants over d-fall and he gets benched one game and the rest is history leading up to this year where he simply doesnt care. </3

auburn and redskins dont go good together, my two favs :(