PDA

View Full Version : 49ers accuse Jets of tampering.

Chief49er
09-21-2009, 11:04 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/09/21/2009-09-21_jets_accused_of_tampering.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4491142

It is about Crabtree and I know there is already a thread, but I figured this is big enough news to have it's own, if I am wrong sorry and please merge. Anyway, this is a pretty large turn of events if true.

FUNBUNCHER
09-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Get your popcorn ready!!

Say it ain't so, Rex!! But it would explain a whole lot about why Crabs hasn't signed yet.

Chief49er
09-21-2009, 01:16 PM
How long do cases usually last like this?

I know that a team doesnt present something like this unless they have some sort of evidence. So the 49ers must have something on the Jets.

Deion Sanders needs to speak up that loud mouth bastard, he knows something!

niel89
09-21-2009, 02:22 PM
No one can man up Crab

YAYareaRB
09-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I wish Crabs would get savagely attacked by a silverback gorilla.

brat316
09-21-2009, 02:37 PM
So if the Jets are found tampering what would the loose? Money, and 1st round pick? not being able to sign Crabtree?

MasterShake
09-21-2009, 02:50 PM
So if the Jets are found tampering what would the loose? Money, and 1st round pick? not being able to sign Crabtree?

Its impossible to know since it is at the discretion of Goodell, but this seems like a particularly egregious offense because it may cost the 49ers a top 10 pick.

Brent
09-21-2009, 04:00 PM
They'd forfeit a pick to the Niners, if they are found guilty, most likely. The value of which, I have no idea.

derza222
09-21-2009, 04:04 PM
The tricky thing is, these things are so hard to prove. There have been a lot of complaints about the Jets in the last few years though, so I bet they're going to do a pretty thorough job investigating it. Honestly though, if the Jets are actually doing this it's an absolutely massive mistake. They could obviously use an upgrade at WR but they've been doing alright with what they have there thus far, and I don't see why Crabtree is worth the risk with the apparent baggage he's bringing as talented as he is.

Bucs_Rule
09-21-2009, 04:26 PM

My geuss would be all three. It has really screwed up things for SF, Crabtree, but most importantly it has the potential to ruin the drafting pay system. The Jets are offering to pay him what they feel he's worth and not where he's drafted. If that caught on teams would bid for the top prospects and they would refuse to sign for anything less than that no matter where they were drafted.

A 1st round draft pick is a significant punishment for the organization. Big fines stings whoever gets them individually. The Jets couldn't be allowed to sign Crabtree. If they paid a million dollar fine, gave up next years first, but when it comes to the draft Crabtree would fall all the way down to the Jets into the second round. No team would pick him as they know he wants the huge dollars the Jets promised him. They would still come out ahead and that would be unacceptable.

gsorace
09-21-2009, 04:59 PM

probably a later round pick(s)

Chief49er
09-21-2009, 05:10 PM

I disagree, if found guilty they have jeopardized the slotted rookie pay scale, screwed with more than just the 49ers. I find it hard to believe they would only take a later pick from them if they were found guilty. The 49ers would have to be rewarded by the Jets with more, but who knows.

sweetness34
09-21-2009, 05:11 PM
I find it hilarious that the 49ers are 2-0 while Crabtree is sitting at home. Samurai Mike is the ****, I really wish we would have hired him in Chicago. He's going to be a very good coach.

Rosebud
09-21-2009, 05:12 PM
How is the league going to prove this?

tuan33
09-21-2009, 05:14 PM
How is the league going to prove this?

Well I assume it's going to go through eugene parker and deion sanders but it's almost impossible to prove. They didn't hit the Vikings with anything last year so I figure it's almost impossible to prove.

Chief49er
09-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Well I assume it's going to go through eugene parker and deion sanders but it's almost impossible to prove. They didn't hit the Vikings with anything last year so I figure it's almost impossible to prove.

Teams don't come forward without evidence.

senormysterioso
09-21-2009, 05:39 PM

The Patriots lost a first round pick for taping hand signals...sabataging a teams ability to sign their first round pick seems more serious than that

derza222
09-21-2009, 05:44 PM
Teams don't come forward without evidence.

And teams have come forward before and the league hasn't taken action. Regardless of what a team comes forward with, it's going to be very difficult to prove.

CC.SD
09-21-2009, 06:23 PM
The Patriots lost a first round pick for taping hand signals...sabataging a teams ability to sign their first round pick seems more serious than that

Random much? Tampering isn't all that uncommon and occasionally a team loses a late round pick. It's not the same as say, cheating in playoff games.

gsorace
09-21-2009, 06:26 PM

Are you serious? How is flat out cheating even close to being as bad as tampering with an unsigned draft pick?

tuan33
09-21-2009, 06:38 PM
Random much? Tampering isn't all that uncommon and occasionally a team loses a late round pick. It's not the same as say, cheating in playoff games.

When was the last time a team lost a draft pick due to tampering? I don't recollect any recent events. The last time I've heard of a team losing a draft pick was the patriots.

Borat
09-21-2009, 06:44 PM
49ers lost a 2008 5th rounder for tampering with Lance Briggs. They also were forced to switch draft picks with the Bears in the 3rd round.

CC.SD
09-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Ask and you shall receive, from Borat.

Bucs_Rule
09-21-2009, 06:57 PM
How about this. Let the 49ers take the 9th draft slot worth of draft picks from the Jets, 1350. They can choose to take whichever ones they want for as many years as they want. Should have to declare a week before the draft which draft picks they want to take that year.

Since draft picks one season are worth more than next year ones they should get even more, say 25%-33%, making it 1700 or 1800.

They should get that regardless of whether they sign Crabtree or trade him away. And the Jets cannot trade for Cabtree or draft him if he re-enters.

Chief49er
09-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Are you serious? How is flat out cheating even close to being as bad as tampering with an unsigned draft pick?

Because the 49ers 10th pick in the first round was almost stolen from them, it is the same as cheating... It is cheating.

Borat
09-21-2009, 07:03 PM
How about this. Let the 49ers take the 9th draft slot worth of draft picks from the Jets, 1350. They can choose to take whichever ones they want for as many years as they want. Should have to declare a week before the draft which draft picks they want to take that year.

Since draft picks one season are worth more than next year ones they should get even more, say 25%-33%, making it 1700 or 1800.

They should get that regardless of whether they sign Crabtree or trade him away. And the Jets cannot trade for Cabtree or draft him if he re-enters.

Borat votes for Bucs_Rule as new NFL Commissioner.

tuan33
09-21-2009, 08:12 PM
49ers lost a 2008 5th rounder for tampering with Lance Briggs. They also were forced to switch draft picks with the Bears in the 3rd round.

All Hail Borat

Arsenal
09-22-2009, 12:55 AM
If the Jets did something like promising Michael Crabtree the money he is looking for, I think that is a very serious violation as it takes away all of San Francisco's negotiation leverage if he has a guarantee to get paid next season. I think that would have to warrant consideration of forfeiting a first round pick and more.

If there was just small-time chatting between the two parties I think it would probably be similar to the Lance Briggs situation a couple years back.

When Deion Sanders ran his mouth a couple weeks ago, he almost seemed to imply teams had been contacting Crabtree and telling him they are willing to meet his demands next year. That was a red flag to me that San Francisco should look into tampering violations almost a month ago.

"Why would you settle for $20 million when you feel like you can get $40 million," Sanders said. "That's the problem."

Speaking on the NFL Network, Sanders said two teams approached the 49ers about trading for the rights to the Texas Tech receiver. Sanders said the unnamed teams "will pay this kid, and he knows that."

A 49ers spokesman said: "Those discussions never happened."

Source for the quote
http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_13274726

Flyboy
09-22-2009, 01:48 AM
Only fueling the fire that Crabs re-enters the draft. Way to go, Jets (if true).

Ness
09-22-2009, 02:02 AM
Is the Jets receiving situation that bad that "tampering" has to be a course of action? Jerricho Cotchery seems like a decent number one receiver to build around. I haven't seen him play that much, but he seems like a decent player.

abaddon41_80
09-22-2009, 06:06 AM
If the Jets are found guilty, and Crabtree never does sign with us, I think giving us their 1st round pick is the only fair way to handle the situation. As some people already said, it would be like them taking away our 1st rounder this year if they are the reason Crabtree never signs and re-enters the draft.

49ersFan_vienna
09-22-2009, 06:53 AM
Whatever the the league decides, i I were scotty and craptree wants to mess with me, so lets dance.

Scotty should call a friendly GM (other than Jets) and do the following deal with him:

On March 1st trade the rights for crabtree to the team for their last pick.
The team would then offe craptree the minimum you can offer and the next year trade craptree back to the 49ers for a 7th again.

It can`t be that stupid kids mess around like that.

senormysterioso
09-22-2009, 07:03 AM
If the Jets did something like promising Michael Crabtree the money he is looking for, I think that is a very serious violation as it takes away all of San Francisco's negotiation leverage if he has a guarantee to get paid next season. I think that would have to warrant consideration of forfeiting a first round pick and more.

If there was just small-time chatting between the two parties I think it would probably be similar to the Lance Briggs situation a couple years back.

When Deion Sanders ran his mouth a couple weeks ago, he almost seemed to imply teams had been contacting Crabtree and telling him they are willing to meet his demands next year. That was a red flag to me that San Francisco should look into tampering violations almost a month ago.

Source for the quote
http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_13274726

I don't know the rules, maybe other teams aren't allowed to talk about it at all. But if Deion Sanders as a "reporter" asked around a bit and a GM told him hypothetically that, yah we'd probably give him $40 million...that's not the same as a team going out of there way to contact Crabtree, as far as I'm concerned

49ersFan_vienna
09-22-2009, 07:13 AM
I don't know the rules, maybe other teams aren't allowed to talk about it at all. But if Deion Sanders as a "reporter" asked around a bit and a GM told him hypothetically that, yah we'd probably give him $40 million...that's not the same as a team going out of there way to contact Crabtree, as far as I'm concerned

So in other words:
Crabtree asks his mentor to ask around what the other teams would pay him.
He asks around as "reporter", and tells crabtree.

So you think thats fine then ?

senormysterioso
09-22-2009, 07:30 AM
So in other words:
Crabtree asks his mentor to ask around what the other teams would pay him.
He asks around as "reporter", and tells crabtree.

So you think thats fine then ?

No, it that's how it went down. If you can show that Sanders was opperating on behalf of Crabtree and not the NFL Network than it's wrong. But if Sanders was doing his job and following up on a story, I don't see any wrongdoing by the Jets. But like I said, I don't know how the rule reads...commenting at all on a player you don't hold the rights to could very well constitute tampering, I don't know.

BandwagonPunditry
09-22-2009, 07:41 AM
No, it that's how it went down. If you can show that Sanders was opperating on behalf of Crabtree and not the NFL Network than it's wrong. But if Sanders was doing his job and following up on a story, I don't see any wrongdoing by the Jets. But like I said, I don't know how the rule reads...commenting at all on a player you don't hold the rights to could very well constitute tampering, I don't know.

Sanders is one of Crabtree's advisers.

49ersFan_vienna
09-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Sanders is one of Crabtree's advisers.

Thats just by accident.
Smart Deion lol

Seanhawk
09-22-2009, 08:51 AM
If found guilty, I also wouldn't mind seeing something like a NCAA style suspension from the post-season for 1 year (one they actually are eligible for after the regular season) in addition to losing a 1st round pick.

brat316
09-22-2009, 09:24 AM
If found guilty, I also wouldn't mind seeing something like a NCAA style suspension from the post-season for 1 year (one they actually are eligible for after the regular season) in addition to losing a 1st round pick.

no way in hell would they ban a team from post season, with tampering. Cheating in the games is one thing, tampering with other teams unsigned players is another thing.

only way to earn a post season ban, if probably if your whole team is on roids, or paid off the refs, or some form of team cheating.

awfullyquiet
09-22-2009, 09:57 AM
no way in hell would they ban a team from post season, with tampering. Cheating in the games is one thing, tampering with other teams unsigned players is another thing.

only way to earn a post season ban, if probably if your whole team is on roids, or paid off the refs, or some form of team cheating.

Tampering with Unsigned Players is a big deal. That's not tampering with a game. But a season. The financial structure of a team. It's pretty awful. When it's free agents, it's once thing, when it's draft picks, it's a whole different issue in a draft based league.

katnip
09-22-2009, 10:05 AM
Yea.. Crabtree falls to #32. Won't get his money. Goes to Jets. And still not happy. Enter Draft #3.

bigbluedefense
09-22-2009, 10:13 AM
If Crabtree ever does sign with the 49ers, is his relationship with the team permanently destroyed?

I wonder how many bridges he's burned in the lockerroom?

I personally think the players wouldn't mind that much if he comes in with the right attitude bc its just business. But if walks in from day 1 acting like a diva (which is highly likely) i think he's in for a heavy dose of reality.

Thats assuming he signs with the 49ers at all.

YAYareaRB
09-22-2009, 10:20 AM
If Crabtree ever does sign with the 49ers, is his relationship with the team permanently destroyed?

I wonder how many bridges he's burned in the lockerroom?

I personally think the players wouldn't mind that much if he comes in with the right attitude bc its just business. But if walks in from day 1 acting like a diva (which is highly likely) i think he's in for a heavy dose of reality.

Thats assuming he signs with the 49ers at all.

Yeah I mean I was reading up on Aaron Curry's interview about holding out and he said there was a little joking around about it but the guys were happy that he was there and willing to work. Although Crabtree's situation is more extreme than Currys, I would be surprised if guys weren't happy that he was actually on the team.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick Willis and Company were to take some shots at him in practice.

But, I would be surprised if we signed him at all.

bigbluedefense
09-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah I mean I was reading up on Aaron Curry's interview about holding out and he said there was a little joking around about it but the guys were happy that he was there and willing to work. Although Crabtree's situation is more extreme than Currys, I would be surprised if guys weren't happy that he was actually on the team.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick Willis and Company were to take some shots at him in practice.

But, I would be surprised if we signed him at all.

Oh, theyre gonna haze him in some way. Theres no question about it.

Im starting to think theyre just gonna trade him away to the Jets for the Jets 1st round pick + a 3rd or something like that.

derza222
09-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Is the Jets receiving situation that bad that "tampering" has to be a course of action? Jerricho Cotchery seems like a decent number one receiver to build around. I haven't seen him play that much, but he seems like a decent player.

It really isn't. They don't exactly have a stud #1 guy who will kill defenses on a consistent basis but Cotchery is good enough and Stuckey can make some plays...the WR's haven't hurt them in the first two games. That's what really has me confused about this situation from their perspective, and would make it even more frustrating if they actually were tampering with Crabtree.

thetedginnshow
09-22-2009, 04:11 PM
This would be epic if these two faced each other in the Super Bowl and Crabs presented the Lombardi Trophy to the winner.

senormysterioso
09-22-2009, 04:12 PM
This would be epic if these two faced each other in the Super Bowl and Crabs presented the Lombardi Trophy to the winner.

Or if they played and Crabs was presented to the winner

YAYareaRB
09-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Or if Crabs ended up on the Jets and one of the niners cleated him in the face ala Albert Haynesworth.

Borat
09-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Or if P-Willy gave him the Brad Smith treatment.

VernonLawson89
09-23-2009, 01:12 AM
Or if P-Willy gave him the Brad Smith treatment.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww219/Jed_York/Willis-Crabtree.png?t=1253614993

Bucs_Rule
09-23-2009, 04:52 PM

When it comes to passing punishments, Goodell seems more concerned with the public image and his version of justice than with specific rules and precedents. If discussions took place that didn't technically break the rules but was apparent to Goodell what was being implied than he will conclude the Jets are just as guilty.

Its just like when the mafia gives orders for a hit, its not technically an order to kill someone but it is apparent that is the intent.

The problem for the NFL is finding out excatly what was said. It is more likely that the agent for Crabtree and Ryan or Tannenbaum talked privatly. They would claim they were talking about players that the agent represented that had dealings with the Jets. The same as they do with soon to be free-agent tamperings.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
09-23-2009, 07:58 PM
I'll believe the details when they are brought forward. Sounds like a lot of he said she said, we can't sign our draft pick. Crabtree is trying to get the money he would have received as the rightful #1 WR drafted. Blame the Raiders, they are the ones who caused the situation.

Haha, removed from the playoffs. Lets get real people...

MasterShake
09-23-2009, 09:40 PM
I'll believe the details when they are brought forward. Sounds like a lot of he said she said, we can't sign our draft pick. Crabtree is trying to get the money he would have received as the rightful #1 WR drafted. Blame the Raiders, they are the ones who caused the situation.

Seriously people, get real....

...The Jets aren't making the playoffs.

YAYareaRB
09-24-2009, 12:11 AM

Of all teams, why the **** would they accuse the Jets? I mean c'mon when there's smoke.

Bucs_Rule
09-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Of all teams, why the **** would they accuse the Jets? I mean c'mon when there's smoke.

The Jets have a recent history of being accused of tampering. Blame the person with the worst reputation, its the oldest excuse in the book.

derza222
09-24-2009, 11:30 AM
The Jets have a recent history of being accused of tampering. Blame the person with the worst reputation, its the oldest excuse in the book.

Yup, plus with all of the rumors of the Jets wanting a big time WR with Brandon Marshall and everything it makes sense that they'd tamper with a WR too. If you're going to accuse a team of tampering with Crabtree and see what happens, the Jets would be the best team team to accuse, no question.

I'm not saying that's what it was, but it's not like they're accusing the Cardinals of tampering with him or something. The Jets make a ton of sense to accuse whether or not there's something going on if you're going to accuse someone of tampering.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-24-2009, 11:39 AM
If found guilty, I think Mark Sanchez should be sacrificed at the temple on the first full moon following the verdict.

josh07039
09-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Honestly, when I heard about the accusation, I was pretty ok with it. I hope it's true because it's just an awesomely d1ck move. Obviously, I hope it never gets confirmed as being true because that would mean a penalty for the Jets. However, I would love it if the Jets end up pursuing Crabtree through legitimate means(whether it is a trade or next year in the draft), essentially confirming that something happened.

Brent
09-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Honestly, when I heard about the accusation, I was pretty ok with it. I hope it's true because it's just an awesomely d1ck move. Obviously, I hope it never gets confirmed as being true because that would mean a penalty for the Jets. However, I would love it if the Jets end up pursuing Crabtree through legitimate means(whether it is a trade or next year in the draft), essentially confirming that something happened.
if they traded for him or drafted him that would scream "guilty"

MetSox17
09-24-2009, 02:48 PM

Circumstantial evidence at best. I'm guessing by then, punishment would have already been handed out anyway.

derza222
09-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Circumstantial evidence at best. I'm guessing by then, punishment would have already been handed out anyway.

Or they wouldn't have punished them, and everyone would say they're guilty but the league office couldn't do anything because it's still circumstantial evidence as you said. The 49ers need to present definitive proof right now, other things may suggest that the Jets tampered but they won't prove it and the league office can't do anything without relatively strong proof.

senormysterioso
09-24-2009, 05:44 PM

This offseason, the redskins were sort of accused of, or at least the Titans insinuated that they tampered with Haynesworth and then signed him. It's not unheard of.

josh07039
09-24-2009, 06:02 PM
if they traded for him or drafted him that would scream "guilty"That's why it would be awesome. It would, in essence, be Rex Ryan saying we did it but there is not a damn thing you can do about it, we know we can get away with it.

Borat
09-24-2009, 06:26 PM
That's why it would be awesome. It would, in essence, be Rex Ryan saying we did it but there is not a damn thing you can do about it, we know we can get away with it.

This is hilarious. But if it was the Patriots doing it, you'd call it despicable, right?

RaiderNation
09-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Im ssssooooooo happy we didnt draft him now.... wish we drafted Raji still...

MasterShake
09-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Im ssssooooooo happy we didnt draft him now.... wish we drafted Raji still...

I don't know what you are sooooooo happy about....you are paying a guy $40 million to do less than Crabtree is doing. At least Crabtree isn't dropping passes and he is doing it for FREE!

P-L
09-24-2009, 07:22 PM
This is could be very serious. You'd think that after New England was caught cheating and then San Francisco, teams would play by the rules (or at least be more careful not to get caught). I hope these accusations aren't true.

Saints-Tigers
09-24-2009, 08:53 PM
I hope they are true. Then I want the Jets to win the superbowl, so I can hear people say they only won because they cheated and tried to get Michael Crabtree.

josh07039
09-24-2009, 10:10 PM
This is hilarious. But if it was the Patriots doing it, you'd call it despicable, right?Yes, everyone is hypocritical about their team to a certain extent. The Jets tampering with Crabtree is amusing to me because usually the Jets are just crappy and follow the rules. Now they look like they are getting better and are being dicks and potentially breaking rules. If the Pats did it, clearly, I would think it's horrible because I hate them and they have broken other rules so why do they need to do it again?

Brent
10-11-2009, 12:24 AM
from Barrows: http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/10/jets-called-49ers-about-trading-for-crabtree/

The Jets were the only outside team to show real interest in acquiring Crabtree during the period in which he could be traded, twice calling the 49ers to try to engage in trade talks. But the 49ers had no interest in dealing him, according to team sources, and repeatedly told Crabtree’s agent, Eugene Parker, that they would either sign the rookie wide receiver or allow him to re-enter the draft next year.

is this the tampering?

derza222
10-11-2009, 12:31 AM
is this the tampering?

I don't see how that would be tampering. If that was the period when he could be traded and they were calling the 49ers and not Crabtree, it seems like it would be legitimate.

Borat
10-11-2009, 01:54 AM
No, that's not the tampering they filed the complaint about. Here, read this (http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/6665/49ers-york-evidence-the-jets-talked-to-him)

Niners owner Jed York:

I think it was clear there was some evidence that the Jets talked to him and as a group we decided this is something that is very serious and we wanted to make sure it was brought to the league's attention. Scot, Paraag and I discussed it and we moved forward from there.

RaiderNation
10-11-2009, 02:01 AM
I found it a coincidence that Crabtree signed the day of the Jets trading for Crabtree....

VernonLawson89
10-11-2009, 07:33 AM
I found it a coincidence that Crabtree signed the day of the Jets trading for Crabtree....

I think you mean Braylon Edwards... anyways, i think crabs signed first. Then the Edwards trade happened.

LizardState
10-11-2009, 01:51 PM

Yes you're talking about Edwards.

But it passing strange with the timing, any way you slice it Rex Ryan was gonna get a new WR this season if it hairliped the Pope.