PDA

View Full Version : Ernie Sims could miss several weeks.

Brothgar
09-21-2009, 02:56 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/09/lions_ernie_sims_could_miss_se.html

The injury is "significant" how does this effect our season and will Dizon be put in permanently???

WMD
09-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Seems like Ernie has missed the past two seasons.. How did he hurt himself? AD break his ankles?

Put in DeAndre Levy!

SINCE1978
09-21-2009, 05:29 PM
DeAndre "Heavy" Levy & Jordan "Sparks" Dizon (hehe) will have to step up.

Bring on Zach Follett baby!!

Scotty D
09-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Doesn't bother me that much. He lives on his name and draft position.

WMD
09-21-2009, 06:53 PM
Doesn't bother me that much. He lives on his name and draft position.
He was good playing behind Shaun Rogers.. but after Big Baby left, Ernie fell off hard.

Just imagine our Defense if we still had Big Baby.. We'd still have no real pass rush but he'd make Sims/Peterson/Foote way better too.

I miss Big Baby :(

ironman4579
09-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Maybe we'll put in a guy that can actually stay at home and stop cutback runs from going for 50................................

Saints-Tigers
09-22-2009, 03:41 AM
You unappreciative bastards. Send him to NO!

You can have Scott Shanle, he's disciplined and always takes good angles.

Prowler
09-22-2009, 06:15 PM
does he know how to stop drew brees?

P-L
09-22-2009, 08:33 PM
You unappreciative bastards. Send him to NO!

You can have Scott Shanle, he's disciplined and always takes good angles.
If Ernie Sims was a 3rd or 4th Round pick, I could probably tolerate him. However, he has played nowhere near as well as the #9 overall pick should play ever since Shaun Rogers stopped eating up blockers in front of him.

Prowler
09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
atleast leinart and huff aren't doing any better.

WMD
09-22-2009, 11:50 PM
I might not be remembering correctly.. but didn't it come out that we were gonna take Donte Whitner at #9?

Brothgar
09-23-2009, 08:17 AM
I might not be remembering correctly.. but didn't it come out that we were gonna take Donte Whitner at #9?

Well that is the rumor. Which is why the Bills refused to trade down with the likes of the Ravens.

Scotty D
09-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Last I heard Whitner lost his starting gig to Bryon Scott?

Brothgar
09-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Seems like Ernie has missed the past two seasons.. How did he hurt himself? AD break his ankles?

Put in DeAndre Levy!

DeAndre Levy is starting against the skins. I heard it on 97.1 fm. Speaking of the radio has anyone else hear Goz's radio commercial hil-f*****ing-larious.

Brodeur
09-24-2009, 02:20 PM
No Ernie Sims for a few weeks is going to be fantastic.

WMD
09-24-2009, 03:24 PM
No Ernie Sims for a few weeks is going to be fantastic.
We really should trade him!

Prowler
09-24-2009, 05:35 PM
call the raiders

SINCE1978
09-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Agreed, he has not quite lived up to a top 10 draft pick but Ernie has been a solid starter and would start on plenty of other teams in this league. Since his arrival, the teams collective talent on D that has surrounded him has been garbage outside of Rogers. The "fall off in production since Big Baby left" comment is partially on the organization as well. Shame on them for not addressing the DT position with any real zest. Our run stuffing duo is currently represented by Knoxville & Furman College respectively ... in Jackson & Hill. the first is 2 years past his prime the later, 2 years from his prime! Both asked to start & produce. Shame on Detroit's Mgt! Hill may pan out but next years draft a DT should be taken in the top 3 Lion picks to help support Levy, Sims, Peterson & Foote (if he sticks around).

Brodeur
09-24-2009, 06:55 PM
He is absolutely not a solid starter.

SINCE1978
09-24-2009, 10:12 PM
He is absolutely not a solid starter.

6x Pro Bowler Brian Urlacher ... is he a solid starter??

Sims
2007: solo 96 / ast 38
2008: solo 72 / ast 41

Urlacher
2007: solo 92 / ast 31
2008: solo 79 / ast 14

(profootballreference.com)

Hmmm, and I tend to think if Ernie had studs like Ogunleye, Harris & Brown in front of him and Lance Briggs playing beside him in 07 & 08 his numbers would have even been better!

He is a solid starter for Detroit and would start/be in the rotation of almost every team in the NFL.

Brodeur
09-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Tackles.....really? That's your argument?

SINCE1978
09-24-2009, 10:21 PM
I introduce facts and you come back with nothing. He's a LB, what the heck else other than tackles would you base it on ... Interceptions?

If you don't like him personally or think his animal love is weird or something I understand. But he is one of the few "producers" the last 3 years on the whole Lions team. Why would YOU say he is not a solid starter?

Brodeur
09-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Paris Lenon led the team in tackles the last couple of years and he was terrible. Ernie Sims CONSTANTLY misses tackles and his lack of playmaking skills is absurd.

ironman4579
09-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Sims is not a solid starter. It's fairly easy to see. He's below average in pass coverage, which is why he was getting sent on the blitz more at the end of last season (and not getting to the QB I might add). He's a terrible tackler, missing tackles all over the place. He overruns everything, allowing massive cutback lanes. He is not a solid starter at all.

SINCE1978
09-24-2009, 10:43 PM
He is the best sideline to sideline defender we have, he brings the KO punch, is as fast to the ball as any LB we have and loves to hit. I'll take him as 1 of my starting 11. I guess we will just have to disagree on this one. You guys can have Darnell Bing or Jordan Dizon, I'll take Ernie Sims.

Brodeur
09-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Has he even delivered a big time hit in the last 8 games? And just because I think Ernie Sims is garbage doesn't mean I want Jordan Dizon or Darnell Bing.

ironman4579
09-24-2009, 11:03 PM
He is the best sideline to sideline defender we have,

Which isn't saying much, and unfortunately, he's usually too close to the sideline after overruning a play, leaving cutback lanes wide open.

he brings the KO punch

Which brings us what exactly? ZOMGZZ HE HITZ SO HARD HE KNOCKZ HIMSLF OWT!!111!!1! His hard hitting is why he misses so many tackles, always going for the big shot instead of just making a damn tackle. Has his KO punch led to a bunch of forced fumbles? He has 4 FF's in just over 3 seasons as a starter.

is as fast to the ball as any LB we have and loves to hit.

Again not saying much, but he better be fast at 6'0" 225. He's the size of a running back, I'd hope he had some speed. But other than his speed, what physically stands out or is impressive about him? And as a LB, I'd hope he likes to hit

I'll take him as 1 of my starting 11. I guess we will just have to disagree on this one. You guys can have Darnell Bing or Jordan Dizon, I'll take Ernie Sims.

Yea, maybe I'll take him over our backups. But it's still a position that could use a massive upgrade.

Left some responses in bold, but we'll agree to disagree I suppose.

SINCE1978
09-24-2009, 11:09 PM
ironman you say ...
Yea, maybe I'll take him over our backups. But it's still a position that could use a massive upgrade.
Our LB corp is the strongest unit on the whole team. For "massive upgrades" please look at our CB's our DT's our DE's even our WR's and certainly our Olinemen before LB's. Can I get some support on this please??

And Brodeur ...

You are a fan of the Lions and cheer for them right? Well since you or I do not make personnel decisions I was simply saying if Ernie is healthy, with the crew of LB's to choose from on the roster, he is the one I pick over Bing, Dizon or even Levy. Thus making him a solid starter. Yeah, in a perfect world give me a Harrison or a Suggs or a Ware or a Bullock but we don't have those OLB options.

Brothgar
09-25-2009, 10:24 AM
ironman you say ...
Our LB corp is the strongest unit on the whole team. For "massive upgrades" please look at our CB's our DT's our DE's even our WR's and certainly our Olinemen before LB's. Can I get some support on this please??

And Brodeur ...

You are a fan of the Lions and cheer for them right? Well since you or I do not make personnel decisions I was simply saying if Ernie is healthy, with the crew of LB's to choose from on the roster, he is the one I pick over Bing, Dizon or even Levy. Thus making him a solid starter. Yeah, in a perfect world give me a Harrison or a Suggs or a Ware or a Bullock but we don't have those OLB options.

Most of the guys you listed are 3-4 LBs. Briggs, Bulluck, and both of the Seahawks OLBs are the only 4-3 OLBs that immediately come to mind as better than Sims.

SINCE1978
09-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Seriously guys ... come on.

I listed OLB's (regardless of scheme)

To label Ernie Sims as a massive upgrade for a team with arguably the MOST holes of any other team in the league is really a dumb statement.

If this were fantasy land (clearly some of you live there) most GM's would replace/upgrade approx. a dozen other positions BEFORE Ernie Sims @ OLB. It would be easier for me to list who most GM's would not upgrade. So I'll do that instead .... (along with Sims) keep: Stafford, Delmas, Pettigrew, Smith, Felton, Peterson, C. Johnson, Dom (maybe) Hanson, Buchanon (as a #2) Cherilus ... the other 10 or so positions are MASSIVE UPGRADES and should be our concerns. Start there, gather some talent in the draft, work out of a top 5 pick every year, establish some wins, and maybe then consider addressing replacing a 24 year old, heat seeking missile, with a good attitude, in the prime of his career.

I can not believe how much hate there is for this guy ... believe it or not, I'm not even a huge fan of Ernie but I was amazed by some of the blanket statements of ignorance or non-factual remarks I was reading.

ironman4579
09-25-2009, 09:06 PM
ironman you say ...

And Brodeur ...

This isn't the draft thread. There are many positions I would upgrade before WILL LB (not the whole corp, as you seem to believe I meant here, just the WILL). However, this IS a thread strictly about Sims, and yes, he has been a below average starter, and at times dowright bad. It is a position that could use an upgrade.

Seriously guys ... come on.

I listed OLB's (regardless of scheme)

To label Ernie Sims as a massive upgrade for a team with arguably the MOST holes of any other team in the league is really a dumb statement.

If this were fantasy land (clearly some of you live there) most GM's would replace/upgrade approx. a dozen other positions BEFORE Ernie Sims @ OLB. It would be easier for me to list who most GM's would not upgrade. So I'll do that instead .... (along with Sims) keep: Stafford, Delmas, Pettigrew, Smith, Felton, Peterson, C. Johnson, Dom (maybe) Hanson, Buchanon (as a #2) Cherilus ... the other 10 or so positions are MASSIVE UPGRADES and should be our concerns. Start there, gather some talent in the draft, work out of a top 5 pick every year, establish some wins, and maybe then consider addressing replacing a 24 year old, heat seeking missile, with a good attitude, in the prime of his career.

I can not believe how much hate there is for this guy ... believe it or not, I'm not even a huge fan of Ernie but I was amazed by some of the blanket statements of ignorance or non-factual remarks I was reading.

Again, not the draft thread. Plenty of positions need massive upgrades. WILL LB happens to be one of them. No, it's not the first priority, but it is something that will have to be addressed if Ernie doesn't improve his play quite a bit.

SINCE1978
09-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Ernie thread or Ernie bashing? Come on, no offense but I seem to be presenting facts in an opinion only based pile on of one of our better defensive players. (I know that is not saying much on the 27th ranked Defense) But if someone posts they believe he should be replaced I was simply stating positions that are of greater importance to address ... and this is after all a draftcountdown.com ... it's not like I went off on a sideways rant about the Tiger's lack of offense in Chicago last night or how I think MSU stomps Wisconsin today. ;o)

WMD
09-26-2009, 04:18 PM
I don't like Ernie Sims anymore, but I don't think he really needs to be replaced right away. We should just have him play out his contract and let him leave as a FA, unless we find someone that wants to trade for him. I'd say he's an average starter.

I think the best play he ever made was tackling Tony Romo to beat Dallas a few years back, because that got us the #2 pick with which we drafted our Lord and Savior.

PackerLegend
09-26-2009, 06:52 PM
When you guys are watching the games do the announcers still like say that Sims is a stud and stuff? I just lol because it happens when they dont see every game like the fans and just kind of judge by where he was drafted. Dont feel bad AJ Hawk hasn't really lived up to beinga #5 pick but I would say hes good not great though.

Saints-Tigers
09-26-2009, 06:59 PM
LBs always get underrated when they play with garbage DTs. I remember when Ray Lewis was "done" before Baltimore drafted Ngata.

Either way, he's a huge upgrade for a lot of teams at OLB (SAINTS)