PDA

View Full Version : Early Picks for Rookie of the Year

Bengals78
09-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Who is everyone's early picks for rookie of the year on offense and defense?
I haven't seen enough to notice every team's rookies. But from what I have seen, Rey Maualuga is gonna be a big contender IMO. The guy can play.
Yeah very homer pick but its what I have seen recently.

MasterShake
09-22-2009, 11:59 PM
Michael Crabtree.

Bengals78
09-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Michael Crabtree.

Dude, beyond the obvious ;)

Notredameleo
09-23-2009, 12:07 AM
matt staffo.....oh wait....never mind...

Don Vito
09-23-2009, 12:11 AM
Dirty Sanchez

Bengals78
09-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Dirty Sanchez

He will be the front runner on Offense easily.

NIN1984
09-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Sanchez and Rey, Fight on!

soybean
09-23-2009, 02:28 AM
i haven't seen him play but brian cushing is tearin up the stat sheet.

AntoinCD
09-23-2009, 05:36 AM
Its going to be Sanchez on offense because he is a QB for a team that is doing very well but he is not doing what Matt Ryan done last year. I would give offensive at the minute to Percy Harvin.

I think defensive is between Maualuga and Laurinaitis. Maualuga is making more impact plays but Laurinaitis is piling up tackles.

BlindSite
09-23-2009, 05:40 AM
I called Laurinitis from before week 1 and I'm sticking to that pick.

Bills2083
09-23-2009, 06:27 AM
I hate to say it, but Mark Sanchez.

no bare feet
09-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Never thought Laurinaitis would make an impact like he has. He has not been blown off the ball or gobbled up by blockers. I am impressed for sure.

tjsunstein
09-23-2009, 10:04 AM
USC is going to represent both sides of the ball.

Mark Sanchez and Rey Maualuga for sure. Atleast, that's what I've seen this far. Johnny Knox has been impressive as well but I don't think you can give it to anyone else but Sanchez as of right now.

vikes_28
09-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Percy Harvin. You guys can't deny that he is already doing well. He already has two TD's and it's only two games into the season. I say he will get at least 10 Touchdown's this year.

Seamus2602
09-23-2009, 11:11 AM
If a Rookie Quarterback leads his team to the Playoffs it doesn't matter how many Touchdowns he has scored, etc. Sanchez could do nothing but if the Jets make playoffs he gets named Offensive Rookie of the Year. The likes of Percy Harvin or Johnny Knox could be in for shouts based on the way they have started.

Defensive Rookie of the Year is probably, at the moment, Rey Maualuga. He is getting good tackle numbers, but already has a sack and a Forced Fumble. Other candidates will be Baby Animal and Brian Cushing.

FUNBUNCHER
09-23-2009, 11:16 AM
I called Laurinitis from before week 1 and I'm sticking to that pick.

He sure didn't look like a rookie against the SKins.

If the Rams win st least six games, IMO Laurinaitis looks strong.

FUNBUNCHER
09-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Harvin is gonna be pushed by Bears rookie WR johnny Knox for OROTY.

Plus, Cutler will give him multiple opportunities to get familiar with the endzone.

Bengals78
09-23-2009, 12:10 PM
Defensive Rookie of the Year is probably, at the moment, Rey Maualuga. He is getting good tackle numbers, but already has a sack and a Forced Fumble.

Not to split hairs but its TWO forced fumbles ;)

PalmerToCJ
09-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Sanchez no doubt on offense.

On defense, well, I'm sure it's pretty obvious what I'm going to say.

Rey has put down as many big hits in 2 games as we've had in the last 5 years.

P-L
09-23-2009, 01:42 PM
I have plenty of doubts about Mark Sanchez winning the award. He's played well, but the defense and the running game are why the Jets are winning. He's thrown 2 TD and 1 INT through two games. Those numbers are solid for a rookie quarterback, but not rookie of the year type numbers. He's certainly a big contender, but let's not give him the award yet. Percy Harvin might have something to say about it before it's all said and done.

MetSox17
09-23-2009, 02:25 PM
He's played well, but the defense and the running game are why the Jets are winning. He's thrown 2 TD and 1 INT through two games. Those numbers are solid for a rookie quarterback, but not rookie of the year type numbers.

He's on pace for what, 16 TDs and 8 ints?

Obviously you can't just say he's gonna keep up the pace, but a TD a game is not hard to do.

Check this out.

12 TDs, 13 ints, 51% completion, 2200 yds, 66.7 Qb rating.

That was Vince Young's stat line when he won rookie of the year. The Titans had a good defense and running game and they won games. Sounds awfully familiar.

NYGibril28
09-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Barry Sanders on offense, Troy Aikman on defense. Maulaluga a close 2nd

Gay Ork Wang
09-23-2009, 03:07 PM

Obviously you can't just say he's gonna keep up the pace, but a TD a game is not hard to do.

Check this out.

That was Vince Young's stat line when he won rookie of the year. The Titans had a good defense and running game and they won games. Sounds awfully familiar.
what made young the ORotY was that he didnt start till like game 3 and he still had 550+ yards rushing and 7 Rushing TDs

msolimani
09-23-2009, 03:21 PM
He will be the front runner on Offense easily.

And for good reason, not many QB's enter the league and win their first start on the road and then beat a very confusing Patriots Defense(granted it's only a fraction of what it used to be).

keylime_5
09-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Sanchez and Laurinaitis. so far.

awfullyquiet
09-23-2009, 03:49 PM
USC is going to represent both sides of the ball.

Mark Sanchez and Rey Maualuga for sure. Atleast, that's what I've seen this far. Johnny Knox has been impressive as well but I don't think you can give it to anyone else but Sanchez as of right now.

If Knox does what he did last week, 6-8 more times this season. MAYBE there'll be a fight.

P-L
09-23-2009, 04:04 PM

Check this out.

I forgot about Young, probably because he was one of the most undeserving award recipients ever in the NFL. But you're right, Sanchez has the hype so if New York keeps playing well he'll probably win it.

djp
09-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Harvin looks good, he'll break a few long touchdowns to get into the race pretty soon here. Man he is strong for how small he is.

derza222
09-23-2009, 04:07 PM
I forgot about Young, probably because he was one of the most undeserving award recipients ever in the NFL. But you're right, Sanchez has the hype so if New York keeps playing well he'll probably win it.

Yeah, you have to factor in that this isn't the ROTY award that people here on NFLDC would be giving out. Sanchez is in good shape right now on hype alone, he was in the preseason, and he'll probably have to mess up to not get the award. Unfair, but that's probably what's going to happen. He may or may not deserve it, but he's got to be the favorite at the moment.

Defense I'd love to see Maualuga win it.

Sniper
09-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Laurinaitis. so far.

For continuing his college tradition and making tackles eight yards downfield?

brat316
09-23-2009, 04:21 PM
For continuing his college tradition and making tackles eight yards downfield?

yeah because the other 10 guys aren't making the tackles eight yards downfield.

Sveen
09-23-2009, 05:53 PM
Mark Sanchez and Brian Cushing

D-Unit
09-23-2009, 06:21 PM
DROY LB Jason Williams and OROY K David Buehler.

Cowboys rule and you all drool. Yeee-haw!

A Perfect Score
09-23-2009, 06:31 PM

Check this out.

what made young the ORotY was that he didnt start till like game 3 and he still had 550+ yards rushing and 7 Rushing TDs

I think its selling Young really short to not include his running yards/TDs, since they were a crucial part of his style of play before he was asked to become something he isnt. That gives him 19TDs to 13 INTs and 2700 yards. And lets not forget, he flat out won games. How many games as a rookie did he make 4th quarter comebacks? 3? He beat the Texans in overtime in Houston on a spectacular run.

Dont sell him short. Yes, MJD was probably more deserving. But VY did a hell of a job as a rookie QB and he took the Titans to the playoffs.

Timbathia
09-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Now that those 3-TE sets are going - OROY will be Richard Quinn.

And DROY goes to the best nickel corner in the NFL - Alphonso Smith.

Alright, alright, so maybe this is a tad far-fetched.

gsorace
09-23-2009, 06:38 PM
If the Jets finish with a pretty good record and Mark Sanchez isn't awful he will win weather he deserves it or not.

A Perfect Score
09-23-2009, 06:46 PM
well their defense certainly didn't. lazy bastards.

:rolleyes:

boy, i didn't miss the "vince just wins" crap at all.

also, it's fairly disingenuous to demand that his rushing stats be included, then fail to include his 12 fumbles.

You are right, I forgot to check the fumbles. How many were lost?

Yes, the defense contributed. Yes, Travis Henry did as well. But can you honestly tell me that VY didnt help them make the playoffs that year? And that while yes, he made a ******** of rookie mistakes, he didnt come through for them in clutch situations?

tuan33
09-23-2009, 07:18 PM
I have plenty of doubts about Mark Sanchez winning the award. He's played well, but the defense and the running game are why the Jets are winning. He's thrown 2 TD and 1 INT through two games. Those numbers are solid for a rookie quarterback, but not rookie of the year type numbers. He's certainly a big contender, but let's not give him the award yet. Percy Harvin might have something to say about it before it's all said and done.

A 2/1 TD/INT ratio is pretty exceptional for any QB not just a rookie QB. If he can pull that off with the Jets having a solid record, I don't think there will be any challenge to him winning ROY unless stafford catches on fire and throws 30 TD's. I mean matt ryan won last year with 16 TD and 11Ints.

datchapin
09-23-2009, 07:24 PM
On defense I'm going for Brian Cushing. Yeah it sounds like a homer pick, but considering he missed all pre-season he's been impressive and should only get better.

A Perfect Score
09-23-2009, 07:35 PM
he got back 4, but if an INT is an INT whether the defender fumbles it on the return or not...

*shrug* about as much as kerry collins helped them last year. which is to say, he didn't screw it up.

Fair enough. If thats the way you choose to look at it. I feel like he catches alot of flak, but I still feel like he can play and has shown that.

SeanTaylorRIP
09-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Mark Sanchez is winning even if he misses the rest of the year with injury.

themaninblack
09-23-2009, 10:41 PM
I haven't really watched any other rookies so I won't be making a legit pick but I will say that Rey Maualuga has been very impressive even though he is playing out of position. He is that imposing physical presence that this defense has been lacking for a long time. It's really starting to rub off on everyone else too.

soybean
09-24-2009, 01:41 AM
Dont sell him short. Yes, MJD was probably more deserving. But VY did a hell of a job as a rookie QB and he took the Titans to the playoffs.

iirc shouldn't it have been joseph addai?

HawkEye30
09-24-2009, 08:32 AM
with leroy hill out till week 6 i believe, the coaches are going to ask curry to blitz more, so of course my pick will be aaron curry but i would have to say watch out for orakpo, i mean it was the rams but he looks awfully good with haynesworth on that line