PDA

View Full Version : Best DB in the NFC East?

Pages : 1 [2]

herniateddisc
12-20-2009, 09:15 PM
he had a pass interference that wouldve been a touchdown...

Jackson also caught a bomb pass on him that wasn't a touchdown, but went for a good 40 yards or so.

I wouldn't say he shut down anything. He didn't have a terrible game, but he wasn't dominant either.

Floyd got past him a couple of times too, but he had help up top.

He had safety help on most plays, and wasn't on Jackson for much of the game. He covered Floyd more than Jackson.

Jackson had two catches v him. Only one of note. No TD, I Pick.

Again in New Orleans he played very well. He also comes up with the ball at least once a game.

Best right now I say.

Sniper
12-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Sheldon Brown broke up three passes and forced a red-zone fumble. He's decent, I'd say.

herniateddisc
12-21-2009, 12:11 PM
Sheldon Brown broke up three passes and forced a red-zone fumble. He's decent, I'd say.

Yeah and Jenkins stopped cold his guy in NOLA plus he had another pick and would have had two had he not dropped one.

So ........ until ESPN crowns him (late) ..... opinions here are lagging indicators.

Supporting Caste
12-21-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm a huge Jenkins fan and, again, I would pick him for the future over any DB in the East (and probably over anyone except Revis league-wide), but I think Brown and Samuel are definitely better at the moment.

It's pretty easy to argue that Samuel and Brown are both top 5 in the league.

D-Unit
12-21-2009, 11:22 PM
I think Terrell Thomas is still really underrated. He and Jenkins are the two of the best young up and coming corners in the league, not just the division.

LonghornsLegend
12-21-2009, 11:56 PM
I still love Samuel even though people say Brown is better(which he very well may be). I still love corners who can create turnovers, honestly I admire that trait more then guys who just cover well, turnovers get you the ball back, and Samuel can jump a route and read a QB better then the best of them. Granted he may not be the best at pure man coverage, or better then Brown, but he's a beast in his own right.

Put him in the right scheme and he'll be one of the best in the league, but I understand people going with Brown, I just have always been a Samuel fan.

Sniper
12-22-2009, 07:24 AM
honestly I admire that trait more then guys who just cover well, turnovers get you the ball back

Brown's forced six turnovers this year. :D

They're both nasty. I love Asante, too. He's so good at jumping routes. They recently asked him about his poor tackling form and effort. His response?

"They pay me for the picks".

Gotta love it.

MilesAustin4MVP
12-22-2009, 09:35 AM
I think it is pretty clear by now Mike Jenkins is the best DB.

Go_Eagles77
12-22-2009, 09:48 AM
http://www.pspcrazy.com/images/news/image/FacePalm_picard.jpg

Damix
12-22-2009, 09:51 AM
I have a feeling MilesAustin4MVP will not be liked here.

By the way, I have a feeling KP would be in the discussion for best safety in the East if he had stayed healthy.

Go_Eagles77
12-22-2009, 09:54 AM
I have a feeling MilesAustin4MVP will not be liked here.

By the way, I have a feeling KP would be in the discussion for best safety in the East if he had stayed healthy.

He wouldn't just be in the discussion, he'd probably be #1. He's a future pro bowler IMO.

Sniper
12-22-2009, 11:24 AM

Explain please. The stats don't agree with you.

Go_Eagles77
12-22-2009, 11:33 AM
Explain please. The stats don't agree with you.
Duh, everyone knows stats only matter when it makes cowboys players look better.

Forenci
12-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Brown's forced six turnovers this year. :D

They're both nasty. I love Asante, too. He's so good at jumping routes. They recently asked him about his poor tackling form and effort. His response?

"They pay me for the picks".

Gotta love it.

Eh, I think Asante gets overrated a little because of his interceptions. He might be good at jumping routes, but to be fair, he jumps pretty much every route. He takes a lot of gambles but he's able to do so in that defense.

He's still good, but I'd certainly take a pure cover corner like Sheldon over Samuels any day of the week.

Sniper
12-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Eh, I think Asante gets overrated a little because of his interceptions. He might be good at jumping routes, but to be fair, he jumps pretty much every route. He takes a lot of gambles but he's able to do so in that defense.

He's still good, but I'd certainly take a pure cover corner like Sheldon over Samuels any day of the week.

Yes and no. To the untrained eye without the cover stats in front of me, it seems like Samuel's worked hard on his cover skills. He's not as good as Charles Woodson (then again, who is? :D ), but he's been better at covering and his tackling has also improved a bit.

But Sheldon, I mean, Jesus, wow. Just a great cover corner, and he's improved his ball skills as well.

D-Unit
12-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Yes and no. To the untrained eye without the cover stats in front of me, it seems like Samuel's worked hard on his cover skills. He's not as good as Charles Woodson (then again, who is? :D ), but he's been better at covering and his tackling has also improved a bit.

But Sheldon, I mean, Jesus, wow. Just a great cover corner, and he's improved his ball skills as well.
Asante and Sheldon are still the best duo, but once Dallas gets Donovan Warren, you'll have to admit they won't be the best for long. ;)

Sniper
12-22-2009, 12:59 PM
Asante and Sheldon are still the best duo, but once Dallas gets Donovan Warren, you'll have to admit they won't be the best for long. ;)

Please...no! Luckily, you guys won't draft Graham or Zoltan Mesko, so I just need to pray hard that you don't draft Warren.

bigbluedefense
12-22-2009, 02:19 PM
My feelings on the matter are not that difficult to understand.

Ive come around on Mike Jenkins, Ive openly stated that I think he can be the best in the division as early as next year.

But the body of work is FAR too small for you to crown him the best after 14 games. Thats just not fair to the other guys.

Brown has been consistently dominant and its much harder to do it over a long period of time than just 14 games. Ask Terrance Newman. He fell off the face of the earth after being the best for quite some time.

So to crown the guy after 14 games is something Im not willing to do.

Webster's 08 season was even better than Jenkins this year. Then this year CWeb started out hot and simmered down a little (although still very good). It could easily happen to Jenkins next year. So to crown the guy after 14 games is just not right.

LonghornsLegend
12-22-2009, 08:14 PM

Ive come around on Mike Jenkins, Ive openly stated that I think he can be the best in the division as early as next year.

But the body of work is FAR too small for you to crown him the best after 14 games. Thats just not fair to the other guys.

Your right though. Just look at Antonio Cromartie, how many people wanted to jump and crown him a top 5 corner early in his career, now he gets ate alive out there. You never know how guys will react or follow up the previous season.

I still think it would of been nice to see Pacman return to his old form with Jenkins this year :( Oh well, but on the subject of Dallas corners, Scandrick who played better then Jenkins as a rookie has regressed this year even in the slot. Steve Smith ate him up both games, and he just hasn't locked guys down the same.

Not sure if he lost his confidence, but I hope he turns it around because I felt he could be a solid #2 eventually but it doesn't look like it now.

herniateddisc
12-23-2009, 07:38 AM

Brown has been consistently dominant and its much harder to do it over a long period of time than just 14 games. Ask Terrance Newman. He fell off the face of the earth after being the best for quite some time.

So to crown the guy after 14 games is something Im not willing to do.

Webster's 08 season was even better than Jenkins this year. Then this year CWeb started out hot and simmered down a little (although still very good). It could easily happen to Jenkins next year. So to crown the guy after 14 games is just not right.

The poll was about best RIGHT NOW so that is how I voted. And with respect to one year wonders step up Corey Webster you are crowned. Played good last half 2007 and has not been so much since last.

Jenkins tracks the deep ball better than any CB in the league. Period. Almost all his INTs are running backwards not forwards. Neither Asante, Sheldon or Webster can makes those plays.

HOWEVER, His recognition on under neath routes is much better than last year -- which he struggled with -- but still a deficit to Asante for example.

Once Jenkins learns how to anticipate underneath versus deep routes -- forget it. He has is lightning quick, has 4.3 speed and great DB hands.

... and TNew nor Scandrick showed this type of promise. I have missed 4-5 games since Parcells got there (big fan since 75) and I have never seen a CB like this on the Cowboys (Deion couldn't tackle). He has it all and seems to be picking up the mental parts of the game which was the biggest concern last year.

Damix
12-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Mike Jenkins can tackle.

JW7lz8x2I-0

LonghornsLegend
12-23-2009, 10:00 AM
Mike Jenkins can tackle.

JW7lz8x2I-0

I raise you 1 :D

0YE75gJROg4

M.O.T.H.
12-23-2009, 10:03 AM
That was little Mike, he's come a long way now. That's why we call him Big Mike. :D Damn he's good.

dpl85
12-23-2009, 10:14 AM
The entire defense gave up in that Giants game in Jersey last year as they realized no matter how well they played Brooks Bollinger/Brad Johnson wasn't going to score at all.

herniateddisc
01-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Mike Jenkins is at another level. Sorry Sheldon nor Asante are better.

They do however over play routes for lots of INTs but then of course the corollary is big plays if the QB even has a little time.

Thumper
01-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Mike Jenkins is at another level. Sorry Sheldon nor Asante are better.

They do however over play routes for lots of INTs but then of course the corollary is big plays if the QB even has a little time.

Because he broke up one pass? GTFO homer. I hope Jason Peters bashes the **** out of that loud mouth piece of **** just to spite you.

herniateddisc
01-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Because he broke up one pass? GTFO homer. I hope Jason Peters bashes the **** out of that loud mouth piece of **** just to spite you.

No b/c Crayton is toasting Sheldon and Austin is making Asante look like a bad gambler.

Don't be angry. Game is not over.... over.

Thumper
01-04-2010, 01:45 AM
Hahahahahahahaha

AHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAA

WTF are you laughing at? Something funny?

Supporting Caste
01-04-2010, 01:57 AM
I laugh when I'm sad.

In all seriousness, I am amused at how quickly your tough talk devolves into unhinged, malicious RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE when something doesn't go your way.

Thumper
01-04-2010, 02:03 AM
You'd be enraged too if your team put out the effort mine did today, pathetic, completely and utterly pathetic.

D-Unit
01-04-2010, 02:04 AM
ONE??!!! Oh I forgot. You turned the TV off out of frustration.

He had MANY.

Thumper
01-04-2010, 02:09 AM
ONE??!!! Oh I forgot. You turned the TV off out of frustration.

He had MANY.

Look at the time this was posted and maybe that would explain something to you ;)

And yeah I saw them I saw McNabb under throw Maclin twice more and then I saw Jenkins deflect them, whoop de doo! He is the second coming of Deion right? He can deflect under and poorly thrown balls, damn he should be an all-pro, why don't we just elect him to the hall of fame now?! Why the hell isn't he in the hall ALREADY? I mean clearly he is gods gift to cornerbacks, I mean he played well against a rookie receiver, crown him now, best in the game! Lets see him back his loudmouth and try and cover DeSean because he hasn't done it yet.

D-Unit
01-04-2010, 03:51 AM
Look at the time this was posted and maybe that would explain something to you ;)

And yeah I saw them I saw McNabb under throw Maclin twice more and then I saw Jenkins deflect them, whoop de doo! He is the second coming of Deion right? He can deflect under and poorly thrown balls, damn he should be an all-pro, why don't we just elect him to the hall of fame now?! Why the hell isn't he in the hall ALREADY? I mean clearly he is gods gift to cornerbacks, I mean he played well against a rookie receiver, crown him now, best in the game! Lets see him back his loudmouth and try and cover DeSean because he hasn't done it yet.
I agree McNabb was a bad passer who cost you guys the game. What can I say? He choked. Predictable... but true.

I don't wanna hear nutten about Desean Jackson. The Cowboys are his kryptonite. He does jack crap against us. He hasn't even been matched up against our best CB yet.

FreshBoy!
01-04-2010, 05:49 AM
I agree McNabb was a bad passer who cost you guys the game. What can I say? He choked. Predictable... but true.

Haha. Check & Mate. I guess Thumper can't argue that McNabb's never choked away a big game.

herniateddisc
01-04-2010, 08:20 AM
SO those 4 pass deflections by Jenkins yesterday against the MOST EXPLOSIVE TEAM IN FOOTBALL where all bad throws?

Or is he straight out "beasting?"

bigbluedefense
01-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Im thiiiiiiiiis close to jumping on the Mike Jenkins bandwagon.

I want to see him cover DJax 1 on 1 in press coverage all game though. I want to see that before I pass the baton off to him. He didn't cover Jackson much yesterday. And when he did, he gave him like 10 yards of cushion.

I need to see less fear in Jenkins if he's going to be the best CB in the division. But he's getting close. Very close.

D-Unit
01-04-2010, 02:16 PM
Im thiiiiiiiiis close to jumping on the Mike Jenkins bandwagon.

I want to see him cover DJax 1 on 1 in press coverage all game though. I want to see that before I pass the baton off to him. He didn't cover Jackson much yesterday. And when he did, he gave him like 10 yards of cushion.

I need to see less fear in Jenkins if he's going to be the best CB in the division. But he's getting close. Very close.
I dunno man... There might be less than a handful of guys right now in the entire league that displays more swagger than Jenkins. He has been flat out dominating. Better than any Cowboys CB I can remember since Deion.

herniateddisc
01-04-2010, 02:38 PM
I dunno man... There might be less than a handful of guys right now in the entire league that displays more swagger than Jenkins. He has been flat out dominating. Better than any Cowboys CB I can remember since Deion.

D, I hate when you do that. Repeatin my lines. But we agree. The kid is DOMINANT right now.

BigBlue, why press DJax if he is scared of running a crossing pattern and is one dimensional? Frankly, playing DJax press if you can run with him, which Mike can, is silly and exhausting.

Face it, 2 games versus Cowboys and nothing for DJax or Maclin ..... but I like Maclin more for a #1. I likey likey Austin and Nicks much much much more for a real #1.

scottyboy
01-04-2010, 02:41 PM
i'm just waiting to see if Jenkins becomes T-New who cowboys fan crowned a few years ago as coming straight from the semen of Deion and now is the whipping boy of the NFC East at CB.

bigbluedefense
01-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Like I said, DJax does more for his team by running deep then he does running a slant. Its not just about individual matchups all the time, you want to roll coverages sometimes to open the field up for the other guys.

Jenkins didn't even cover Jax all game, Newman covered him a lot.

Like I said, Im VERY close to jumping on Jenkin's bandwagon, but theres still a lot more football to be played.

Jax can run any route you want him to run. He's one of the best route runners in the league.

As much as I love Nicks, Id trade him for Jax in a heartbeat.

herniateddisc
01-04-2010, 03:41 PM
i'm just waiting to see if Jenkins becomes T-New who cowboys fan crowned a few years ago as coming straight from the semen of Deion and now is the whipping boy of the NFC East at CB.

TNew never had the hands. Jenkins does.

herniateddisc
01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Like I said, DJax does more for his team by running deep then he does running a slant. Its not just about individual matchups all the time, you want to roll coverages sometimes to open the field up for the other guys.

Jenkins didn't even cover Jax all game, Newman covered him a lot.

Like I said, Im VERY close to jumping on Jenkin's bandwagon, but theres still a lot more football to be played.

Jax can run any route you want him to run. He's one of the best route runners in the league.

As much as I love Nicks, Id trade him for Jax in a heartbeat.

Jenkins plays one side of the field and Tnew the other. And when he did cover him ... nothing.

Jenkins is beasting right now.

herniateddisc
01-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Well I am glad I started this discussion at least.

MilesAustin4MVP
01-04-2010, 03:55 PM

T-New is still a very good corner. He was on Desean Jackson most of the day. He may give up one or two plays a game, but he is usually money for the rest of the game.

scottyboy
01-04-2010, 04:03 PM
T-New is still a very good corner. He was on Desean Jackson most of the day. He may give up one or two plays a game, but he is usually money for the rest of the game.

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....ok

Reading most of your, what, 10 posts? It looks like I'm gonna have to step up my game to have the good, funny homers prevail over the ones who are literally insane.

D-Unit
01-04-2010, 05:25 PM
D, I hate when you do that. Repeatin my lines. But we agree. The kid is DOMINANT right now.

BigBlue, why press DJax if he is scared of running a crossing pattern and is one dimensional? Frankly, playing DJax press if you can run with him, which Mike can, is silly and exhausting.

Face it, 2 games versus Cowboys and nothing for DJax or Maclin ..... but I like Maclin more for a #1. I likey likey Austin and Nicks much much much more for a real #1.
You hate when I do what? Do you have a mental block? You should know by now that I always give you your due. Have I not? You love to act like I don't for some odd reason. In this case, I guess it's just a coincidence.

But for your peace of mind. Does this work for your ego?

EVERYBODY, BOB SAID THAT MIKE JENKINS IS THE BEST CB DALLAS HAS HAD SINCE DEION SANDERS! HE SAID IT FIRST! HE SAID IT FIRST! HE SAID IT FIRST!

I do remember you saying he's as good as Champ Bailey and I was hesitant to put him there so quickly. I never denied that some day he could be though. I never lacked that foresight. I loved Mike as a prospect before you even knew his name. You were just noting his early success this year and prematurely making Champ comparisons. It's nice to see him playing at an elite level, and he's on the right track, but Champ comparisons are earned over time and respectfully, the only thing holding Mike back now is time. He'll get there if he keeps playing the way he has been. I just hold Champ in too high a ground that I'm not ready to crown Mike yet. I'm talking about Champ in his prime. Not this old guy.

MilesAustin4MVP
01-04-2010, 05:27 PM
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....ok

Reading most of your, what, 10 posts? It looks like I'm gonna have to step up my game to have the good, funny homers prevail over the ones who are literally insane.

indict my football knowledge because I only have 10 posts or so on a random internet message board. That just seems kind of silly.

herniateddisc
01-04-2010, 05:47 PM
You hate when I do what? Do you have a mental block? You should know by now that I always give you your due. Have I not? You love to act like I don't for some odd reason. In this case, I guess it's just a coincidence.

But for your peace of mind. Does this work for your ego?

EVERYBODY, BOB SAID THAT MIKE JENKINS IS THE BEST CB DALLAS HAS HAD SINCE DEION SANDERS! HE SAID IT FIRST! HE SAID IT FIRST! HE SAID IT FIRST!

I do remember you saying he's as good as Champ Bailey and I was hesitant to put him there so quickly. I never denied that some day he could be though. I never lacked that foresight. I loved Mike as a prospect before you even knew his name. You were just noting his early success this year and prematurely making Champ comparisons. It's nice to see him playing at an elite level, and he's on the right track, but Champ comparisons are earned over time and respectfully, the only thing holding Mike back now is time. He'll get there if he keeps playing the way he has been. I just hold Champ in too high a ground that I'm not ready to crown Mike yet. I'm talking about Champ in his prime. Not this old guy.

Um. Thanks?

scottyboy
01-04-2010, 06:06 PM
indict my football knowledge because I only have 10 posts or so on a random internet message board. That just seems kind of silly.

no, I'm saying I've seen the majority of your posts since there are so few, and based on seeing most of your posts, I can deduce that you are a raging homer, and not the cool, tolerable kind either.

Supporting Caste
01-05-2010, 01:29 AM

This is a loaded, nonsensical thought, but I'll bite.

Cowboys fans were high on Newman at one point because he was awesome. He allowed something ridiculous like 1 touchdown in 25 games.

This year and at times, last year, Newman hasn't been nearly the same player. I don't know what the deal is. He's been hurt a lot so some assume he's still playing hurt, others point to his age and say he's slowing down.

I don't know what the deal is, myself. He hasn't looked any slower to me and most of his errors seem like rookie-ish mental mistakes (if not blatant acts of sheer idiocy), but I don't know if what appear to me as stupid actions are just him getting by on less athleticism.

In any case, it's not like Cowboys fans assessed the guy incorrectly and are flip flopping, as you imply. He's not the same player.

scottyboy
01-05-2010, 08:17 AM
This is a loaded, nonsensical thought, but I'll bite.

Cowboys fans were high on Newman at one point because he was awesome. He allowed something ridiculous like 1 touchdown in 25 games.

This year and at times, last year, Newman hasn't been nearly the same player. I don't know what the deal is. He's been hurt a lot so some assume he's still playing hurt, others point to his age and say he's slowing down.

I don't know what the deal is, myself. He hasn't looked any slower to me and most of his errors seem like rookie-ish mental mistakes (if not blatant acts of sheer idiocy), but I don't know if what appear to me as stupid actions are just him getting by on less athleticism.

In any case, it's not like Cowboys fans assessed the guy incorrectly and are flip flopping, as you imply. He's not the same player.

no, that's not what I'm implying at all. No flip flopping, I'm just saying, can Jenkins keep consistancy that Newman hasn't. Because people were all on T-New's jock JUST like this a few years ago. Again, no flip-flopping implied, just can Jenkins keep it up, unlike Newman.

MilesAustin4MVP
01-05-2010, 08:43 AM
There is a false premise in a lot of these posts. T-New does not suck. He is not a pro-bowler, but he is still a good and at times a very good corner. He is just not as good as he once was.

He is 31 and entered the league older than most players, which is why he seemed to have such a short peak in his career, but he is still a good corner.

Damix
01-05-2010, 08:56 AM
But age doesn't matter, only "football years" do.

Oh come on, TNewFan41 where are you.

Supporting Caste
01-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Scotty: What do you consider a proper amount of success, then? Newman was a top cornerback for 4 years.

Damix: I'm not necessarily trying to defend the "football years are all that matter" argument, but I still haven't seen a concrete instance of Newman being any slower/less agile.

Everytime he gets burned it's because he's got his thumb up his ass or running in the wrong direction.

And that's puzzling because the guy never did that crap when he was younger, and you're supposed to get smarter as you gain experience.

I don't know. Newman isn't terrible but he's too inconsistent to be 'good,' I think. He plays really well sometimes and other times he's just atrocious and there's rarely a happy medium.

bigbluedefense
01-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Let's face it, Newman is terrible now. He went from one of the best CBs in the league, to a below average one.

FreshBoy!
01-05-2010, 12:32 PM
I don't know. Newman isn't terrible but he's too inconsistent to be 'good,' I think. He plays really well sometimes and other times he's just atrocious and there's rarely a happy medium.

Pretty much. No inbetween. Either he's being seen doing something horrible, giving up a big play, or missing a tackle...Or the receiver he's covering has had a horrible day. It's frustrating, because he'll shut down a Steve Smith(Panthers), or a Djack, then the next couple weeks allow the opposing teams receiver to have a 7 for 100 yards and a TD type day.

Let's face it, Newman is terrible now. He went from one of the best CBs in the league, to a below average one.

I think that's the very essence of what he was saying. At one point(When 'boys fans were high on him), he was one of the best CB's in the league. Now...not so much due to age/injuries/whatever. Which is his reply to Scottyboy asking why 'Boys fans were so high on Jenkins...and then misguidedly drawing comparisons.

Whatever his fall from grace was/is, it doesn't take away how great he once was.

MilesAustin4MVP
01-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Yeah that is why Desean Jackson had such huge games playing against him this year. Ok. [/sarcasm]

scottyboy
01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Scotty: What do you consider a proper amount of success, then? Newman was a top cornerback for 4 years.

Damix: I'm not necessarily trying to defend the "football years are all that matter" argument, but I still haven't seen a concrete instance of Newman being any slower/less agile.

Everytime he gets burned it's because he's got his thumb up his ass or running in the wrong direction.

And that's puzzling because the guy never did that crap when he was younger, and you're supposed to get smarter as you gain experience.

Why are you putting words in my mouth? When did I say he was not successful? I said he wasn't consistant as in he is nowhere close to how good he was just a year or 2 ago even. Cowboys fans were saying all this about T-New, and they were right...for about 2-3 years. Let's see if Jenkins keeps it up. T-New fell, HARD. I just want to see if Jenkins can keep up this level of play for more than 2-3 years. Let's see how good he really is. Many CB's go through hot streaks for a few years and fade out. THe special ones are guys like Champ, Nnamdi, McAlister, Woodson and perhaps even Revis who have consistantly been great.

scottyboy
01-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Pretty much. No inbetween. Either he's being seen doing something horrible, giving up a big play, or missing a tackle...Or the receiver he's covering has had a horrible day. It's frustrating, because he'll shut down a Steve Smith(Panthers), or a Djack, then the next couple weeks allow the opposing teams receiver to have a 7 for 100 yards and a TD type day.

I think that's the very essence of what he was saying. At one point(When 'boys fans were high on him), he was one of the best CB's in the league. Now...not so much due to age/injuries/whatever. Which is his reply to Scottyboy asking why 'Boys fans were so high on Jenkins...and then misguidedly drawing comparisons.

Whatever his fall from grace was/is, it doesn't take away how great he once was.

Ok, this inserting words in my mouth...it's got to stop. I never questioned why they were so high on him, I was simply wondering aloud if he can keep it up consistantly...my goodness. is reading comprehension really that hard guys?

Forenci
01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I agree with Scottyboy, but I've also taken this stance on Miles Austin too. Can we see Jenkins, or Austin for that matter, dominate for a year or two longer before we start saying they're worth top 10 draft picks and are 'elite' caliber players? How many hundreds of times have we seen players with break out years or a stretch run of 2-3 years of success and then fall off the face of the Earth?

This is especially true with cornerbacks as Scotty mentioned. You seldom find 'lock down' corners, and if you do it typically comes and goes in a short time period, often times not even due to age/injury.

Jenkins has been great but lets not forget he was dreadful his rookie year, which is fine because many rookie cornerbacks are, but who's to say next year he doesn't level off somewhere in between and goes from being a superb corner like he has been this year to good, but not great?

I think a lot of Giants fans (myself included) jumped on Corey Websters band wagon a little too quickly. He put together a stretch of almost two years where he was absolutely dominant and his play dropped off quite a bit this year. Granted that could be due to injury, an awful defensive coordinator, or because he had CC Brown/Aaron Rouse playing safety behind him, but it goes to show you how fast cornerbacks can go from lock down to mediocre.

All that having been said I'd still probably take Jenkins over any Giants corner. I will be interested to see if Webster bounces back with a (hopefully) better defensive coordinator and some safties behind him, and if Terrell Thomas can continue to play extremely well. Not to mention if Aaron Ross can stay healthy he can be a factor as well.

Go_Eagles77
01-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Remember when Antonio Cromartie looked like the best corner since Deion? Yeah...

FreshBoy!
01-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Ok, this inserting words in my mouth...it's got to stop. I never questioned why they were so high on him, I was simply wondering aloud if he can keep it up consistantly...my goodness. is reading comprehension really that hard guys?

My apologies if I misinterpreted what you were attempting to say. I just didn't see the point in comparing the two, or even bringing up Tnew. He's 30 years old, with numerous injuries...So sure, he had a very small of window of being top notch, but there's obviously reasons for that. I don't think anyone but Herniateddisc has annoited Mike Jenkins the best of the best. We're just happy to see him progress so much in a year, with hopes of him continuing to get better.

Supporting Caste
01-05-2010, 07:56 PM

No, but you probably aren't interested in reasoning so keep thinking that.

Supporting Caste
01-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Why are you putting words in my mouth? When did I say he was not successful? I said he wasn't consistant as in he is nowhere close to how good he was just a year or 2 ago even. Cowboys fans were saying all this about T-New, and they were right...for about 2-3 years. Let's see if Jenkins keeps it up. T-New fell, HARD. I just want to see if Jenkins can keep up this level of play for more than 2-3 years. Let's see how good he really is. Many CB's go through hot streaks for a few years and fade out. THe special ones are guys like Champ, Nnamdi, McAlister, Woodson and perhaps even Revis who have consistantly been great.

So four years Newman is good, but because he ceased to be good after that long he was never consistently good.

Then you turn your standard upside down and say Nnamdi and Revis are examples of guys who were good long enough. Nnamdi and Revis haven't been good as long as Newman was.

Do you know what a hypocrite is?

scottyboy
01-05-2010, 09:42 PM
So four years Newman is good, but because he ceased to be good after that long he was never consistently good.

Then you turn your standard upside down and say Nnamdi and Revis are examples of guys who were good long enough. Nnamdi and Revis haven't been good as long as Newman was.

Do you know what a hypocrite is?

T-New was at a good/great level of play for 2-3 years, while Nnamdi's been at it for 4 straight now and I said POTENTIALLY Revis.
But no, missing words, and interpreting things the way to go.

herniateddisc
01-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Well it ain't Samuel or Brown.

Sniper
01-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Jeremy Maclin says it certainly isn't Mike Jenkins.

kumar3112
01-09-2010, 10:47 PM
terrence newman just did a job on desean

Forenci
01-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Well it ain't Samuel or Brown.

I kind of stopped paying attention after the third quarter but Jenkins got smoked on that Vick TD as well. He pretty much fell down.

From what I saw the rest of the game he was pretty good though. Still, it's tough to really say any player in this division is a 'shut down' corner. Jenkins/Terrell Thomas are probably the two guys with the best shot of becoming that.

Sniper
01-09-2010, 10:49 PM
I kind of stopped paying attention after the third quarter but Jenkins got smoked on that Vick TD as well. He pretty much fell down.

From what I saw the rest of the game he was pretty good though. Still, it's tough to really say any player in this division is a 'shut down' corner. Jenkins/Terrell Thomas are probably the two guys with the best shot of becoming that.

Maclin had 7 grabs for 146 yards and a touchdown. That's more total yards than Brown and Samuel gave up combined to the top two Dallas WRs, and I distinctly remember at least two of the Austin first downs being on Joselio Hanson.

herniateddisc
01-09-2010, 10:53 PM
I also distinctly remember Austin running past Asante and drawing a penalty on Brown to set up TD #1.

Let us be real, the Eagles CB are good but not to the level of noise on this board. They benefit from a blitz happy scheme.

Forenci
01-09-2010, 10:54 PM
Maclin had 7 grabs for 146 yards and a touchdown. That's more total yards than Brown and Samuel gave up combined to the top two Dallas WRs, and I distinctly remember at least two of the Austin first downs being on Joselio Hanson.

I still like Sheldon a lot. I think he's very good. I've never been a Samuels fan though. Takes way too many gambles for my liking. I know he creates turn overs, but at what cost? I've seen him gamble and come up empty more times than I have seen him grab an interception. Not saying he's bad or anything, but I've just never been a big supporter of him.

kumar3112
01-09-2010, 10:55 PM
I also distinctly remember Austin running past Asante and drawing a penalty on Brown to set up TD #1.

Let us be real, the Eagles CB are good but not to the level of noise on this board. They benefit from a blitz happy scheme.

im a cowboys fan, but lets be real. asante was supposed to have help over the top by sheldon and i think thats why he gave some cushion in case of an underthrown ball.

Sniper
01-09-2010, 10:55 PM
im a cowboys fan, but lets be real. asante was supposed to have help over the top by sheldon and i think thats why he gave some cushion in case of an underthrown ball.

Was Sheldon at safety?

herniateddisc
01-09-2010, 10:56 PM
Maclin had the most useless 146 yard night I have ever seen.

His big play came on busted coverage with the CB slipping and a QB/Dog Killer throwing the ball. Made the play -- great -- but nothing was systematic.

Forenci
01-09-2010, 10:56 PM

Not to mention they pretty much had back up safeties playing behind them all game.

Thumper
01-10-2010, 07:14 PM
One thing I really enjoyed was Mike Jenkins being scored on twice, Mike Jenkins being shoved by Maclin into Jason Peters and Mike Jenkins getting a football to the face and busting his lip. Did I mention I dislike him?

Go_Eagles77
01-10-2010, 07:24 PM
His fumbled lateral when they should have been playing it safe pissed me off. It actually made me more angry than I was previously even though it was technically a positive play for the eagles.

BaLLiN
01-10-2010, 07:41 PM
One thing I really enjoyed was Mike Jenkins being scored on twice, Mike Jenkins being shoved by Maclin into Jason Peters and Mike Jenkins getting a football to the face and busting his lip. Did I mention I dislike him?

lol yes, that pick he had was a result of a poor throw and poor route.

Thumper
01-10-2010, 08:09 PM
On that play I walked out of the room in disgust and said "I can't watch this anymore." and then all of a sudden I heard all the Cowboys fans yell "NO!" and I sprinted back to see what was happening.

It was odd dealing with well mannered Cowboys fans with sportsmanship, we got into debates on who had the worse coach and stuff like that.

Thumper
01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
lol yes, that pick he had was a result of a poor throw and poor route.

Keep your hands off Earl Thomas! I would cry if he was a Giant, having to deal with him and Kenny would suck! I <3 CC Brown!

D-Unit
01-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Funniest play of the night was seeing the football bounce off of Asante Samuel's face. LMAO!!! Couldn't stop rolling!

BaLLiN
01-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Keep your hands off Earl Thomas! I would cry if he was a Giant, having to deal with him and Kenny would suck! I <3 CC Brown!

NOPE!! EARL IS MINE

EDIT: KP is still not cleared up on his situation (chronic arthritis in his knee i believe), would be a heartbreaker to see him not be able to play again.

CC Brown might be worse than Roy Williams (safety), contrary to belief it is possible to be worse than the "man amongst boys" as he called himself once upon a time.

BaLLiN
01-10-2010, 09:59 PM
Funniest play of the night was seeing the football bounce off of Asante Samuel's face. LMAO!!! Couldn't stop rolling!

lol, at points in the game i couldnt decide who i actually wanted to root for, but its fun to see players make a fool of themselves, i mean especially dallas players because apparently "miles austin is god" and "mike jenkins is the best Dallas corner since Deion Sanders". But then again all of us fans do it, a year or two back i felt sick of all the giant homerism and repetition of ideas.

Sniper
01-11-2010, 06:35 AM

******* hilarious. Then, he looks at his hands like he can't believe he dropped it.

bigbluedefense
01-11-2010, 10:21 AM

And Jenkins doesn't? I'm a Jenkins fan, but that game doesn't help your case. He was beat several times in that game.

And blitzing goes both ways. You get put on an island and if the pressure is picked up, youre toast.

The truth is, no CB in our division had a shut down year this year. Including Jenkins.

I think as has been stated, moving forward the best in the future may be Jenkins and Terrell Thomas. Although I'm still a big believer in CWeb. He is a pure man coverage CB who was put in Cover 2 this year. And he had a knee injury. He'll bounce back next year if we get a good DC. And its not like he had a bad year either. He was still damn good this year.

BaLLiN
04-28-2010, 08:59 PM
just like the superbowl against the giants, he had the game in his hands and it went right through.