PDA

View Full Version : Still want Jason Smith or Aaron Curry?

Halsey
09-28-2009, 02:30 AM
Too bad the Lions passed on Curry or Smith. You guys coulda watched Curry make a lot of tackles or Smith play right tackle...

WMD
09-28-2009, 02:53 AM
Too bad the Lions passed on Curry or Smith. You guys coulda watched Curry make a lot of tackles or Smith play right tackle...
Yeah, look at how awesome St. Louis and Seattle are with them! Dammit!

P-L
09-28-2009, 08:25 AM
From what I've seen and heard from Seahawks fans, Aaron Curry has just been about average and he's not been an impact player.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
09-28-2009, 08:48 AM
No way on either. Stafford developing is what we need. We have our QB for the future.

LB is set if we resign Foote. Levy emerging would be nice for Sims trade bait though I don't think he has much value and Peterson is solid but needs to blitz more.

RT is set with Gosder and who knows with Jason Smith at LT. Didn't Smith get hurt? Of course he could be healthy if he was in Detroit.

Babylon
09-28-2009, 10:53 AM
From what I've seen and heard from Seahawks fans, Aaron Curry has just been about average and he's not been an impact player.

Bigger question would probably have been Stafford or Sanchez after the Jets hot start (You know who i like).

I don't think people in Seattle are displeased with Curry at all. It takes some time and he hasnt looked out of place. Was sort of the veteran of the linebacking corps yesterday and was putting some pretty good pressure on Cutler on a couple of occasions. In hindsight the pick might have been Sanchez but Curry looks good to me.

P-L
09-28-2009, 10:56 AM
I think it's still too early for the Stafford / Sanchez debate. There is no doubt in my mind the Jets would still be 3-0 if the quarterbacks switched places.

tblain1
09-28-2009, 12:16 PM
I think it's still too early for the Stafford / Sanchez debate. There is no doubt in my mind the Jets would still be 3-0 if the quarterbacks switched places.

If you play that game, its too early for ANY of these debates (Curry/Smith v. Stafford, Sanchez v. Stafford). But since this is a forum you can debate Obama v. Stafford if you want.

Sanchez was put in a better situation and a better team no doubt so right now thats apples and oranges.

Honestly... we are 1-2 and we beat a team that had a tough time with the Rams. Stafford had one good game where he didn't make a bunch of rookie mistakes and to go further, he did a number of things VERY well (99 yd drive, key throws to keep drives alive). I'm happy with that and optimistic but seriously... turn around the offense, put more points on the board, and get us a few more wins and do so against real teams (starting with Chicago who is debatably a real team). Thats what "franchise" QBs do. So far he has met minimal requirements for being a starting NFL QB.

I'm not saying thats not a bad thing. Thats actually good that in one game he has shown he can be a worthy starter; not all rookies do that (coughJAMARCUS RUSSELLcough). I just want to temper my enthusiasm.

Brothgar
09-28-2009, 12:38 PM

Well I wanted BJ Raji and he is looking studly but I am coming around to Stafford. I think that Sanchez is getting way WAY too much credit for the Jet's victories. I really miss Big Baby.

Halsey
09-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Just remember, Stafford won't even be 22 until about the time the Super Bowl gets played. The Lions took him knowing he was not going to have a Matt Ryan like rookie year. Count me among the surprised that Sanchez has looked Matt Ryan like so far.

Babylon
09-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Well I wanted BJ Raji and he is looking studly but I am coming around to Stafford. I think that Sanchez is getting way WAY too much credit for the Jet's victories. I really miss Big Baby.

Standing on the sidelines?

Crickett
09-28-2009, 01:43 PM
Well I wanted BJ Raji and he is looking studly but I am coming around to Stafford. I think that Sanchez is getting way WAY too much credit for the Jet's victories.

If Sanchez is getting too much credit, it would be at the expense of the defense. Offensively....... yeah, Sanchez deserves the credit. He's lighting it up through the air and making his receivers look better than they are IMO.

I really miss Big Baby.

My only regret with the Kris Jenkins trade is that Jets didn't get Shaun Rogers or Marcus Stroud in addition to Jenkins. That would just be unstoppable.

Brothgar
09-28-2009, 01:44 PM

Damn right! (Note to self: Sarcasm doesn't work on the internets)

Borat
09-28-2009, 02:07 PM
You guys should have taken Michael Crabtree (purely to help my team).

Prowler
09-28-2009, 02:34 PM
sanchez has looked amazing. i think drafting any of the two qbs would have been counted as a victory for us.

SINCE1978
09-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Yeah no kidding ... the big 3 DT (Raji, Jerry, Hood) from the draft are all on the sidelines watching. Granted, all landed with solid teams in Green Bay, Atlanta, Pittsburgh. Jerry would have continued starting if he did not have a season ending injury last week (sucks) but Hood & Raji are in student mode.

I still am not 100% sold on Detroit's #20 pick as a TE ... Oher was who I wanted and Peter King said this morning in MMQB that he would may give early season consideration to Oher as rookie of the year?!?! Wow. Granted we would ask him to play LT and he is a RT in Baltimore but Pettigrew has been rather average so far. Certainly not a Witten or a Clark or a Gonzalez. Yet.

Babylon
09-28-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah no kidding ... the big 3 DT (Raji, Jerry, Hood) from the draft are all on the sidelines watching. Granted, all landed with solid teams in Green Bay, Atlanta, Pittsburgh. Jerry would have continued starting if he did not have a season ending injury last week (sucks) but Hood & Raji are in student mode.

I still am not 100% sold on Detroit's #20 pick as a TE ... Oher was who I wanted and Peter King said this morning in MMQB that he would may give early season consideration to Oher as rookie of the year?!?! Wow. Granted we would ask him to play LT and he is a RT in Baltimore but Pettigrew has been rather average so far. Certainly not a Witten or a Clark or a Gonzalez. Yet.

I don't have a problem with Pettigrew, he hasnt been thrown to much but is averaging about 11 ypc. and he can block. Oher might have worked too. They still need so much there i think BPA makes sense.

YAYareaRB
09-28-2009, 05:59 PM
I like Stafford. He has a "I don't care if I just threw an interception.. I party with hot bitches" type of attitude. Gunslinging type.

TitanHope
09-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Matthew Stafford was obviously the right pick for ya'll.

Although, whether taking Brandon Pettigrew over Michael Oher was the right decision remains to be seen. Ya'll liking Pettigrew so far?

Notredameleo
09-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Pettigrew is an absolute monster at blocking. He is never going to put up Clark, Gates, or Gonzalez receiving numbers, but he already may be one of the best blocking TE's in the league. If you recorded the game the other day, watch it and focus on pettigrew. There is a reason we were running the ball so good, and it sure as hell wasn't Backus.

Crickett
09-30-2009, 09:29 AM
Pettigrew is an absolute monster at blocking. He is never going to put up Clark, Gates, or Gonzalez receiving numbers, but he already may be one of the best blocking TE's in the league. If you recorded the game the other day, watch it and focus on pettigrew. There is a reason we were running the ball so good, and it sure as hell wasn't Backus.

Please tell me he's more than that though. Otherwise why not just go with Anthony Becht?

Notredameleo
09-30-2009, 09:49 AM
He hasn't developed the receiving part of his game yet. He will in time, but right now, he is an amazing pass protector. Remember, he didn't do much receiving at Oklahoma State.

Addict
10-04-2009, 09:08 AM
If Sanchez is getting too much credit, it would be at the expense of the defense. Offensively....... yeah, Sanchez deserves the credit. He's lighting it up through the air and making his receivers look better than they are IMO.

Seriously, have you seen Sanchez' offensive line? he has all the time in the world. Honestly, as far as situations for QB's go, it doesn't get much better than Sanchez' Jets.

Still, he's definately looking good. But give that OL a whole lot of credit for it.

awfullyquiet
10-04-2009, 10:01 AM
He hasn't developed the receiving part of his game yet. He will in time, but right now, he is an amazing pass protector. Remember, he didn't do much receiving at Oklahoma State.

But...

IS THAT WORTH A 20TH PICK?

seriously?

JETS5128
10-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Seriously, have you seen Sanchez' offensive line? he has all the time in the world. Honestly, as far as situations for QB's go, it doesn't get much better than Sanchez' Jets.

Still, he's definately looking good. But give that OL a whole lot of credit for it.

You obviously didn't watch the titans game

Addict
10-04-2009, 07:00 PM

See I don't get this. If it's so obvious that I did not see that game, why not at least bother to include a brief synopsis of what happened in said game? By your half-assed sarcastic remark I still can't tell what the hell happened in the Titans game so I'll just assume Sanchez kicked ass. But still, next time you feel like being an ass, at least bother to be a condecending one. I'm serious: make me feel stupid, but at least explain to me WHY I'm stupid.

Also: didn't say Sanchez wasn't any good, I think he is, but that O-line is fantastic. I'm just making a compliment. But I take from your very defensive position that I either offended you or the size of your testicles. Or possibly both.

P-L
10-04-2009, 08:45 PM
You mean that game where he threw a bunch of real short passes and was still only able to complete 56% of his passes? Only four his passes went for more than 10 yards. He gets all the credit because he plays in New York. He's been your typical above-average rookie quarterback this season.

Is it a coincidence that the Jets offensive line was very poor today and Sanchez played like complete dog ****? Sanchez's dump-offs and screens couldn't save him today, like they did against an awful Tennessee pass defense.

Sanchez has the hype, but I've seen enough of him to know that right now, I wouldn't trade Matthew Stafford for him.

GB12
10-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Raji is not in "student mode". He missed the first two weeks with an injury and played limited snaps in the third game because of that. He was set to be a starter until he got hurt. Johnny Jolly has been playing very well so he'll probably continue starting at end, but Raji will be getting a lot at time at both NT and DE when he gets back to 100%.

I'd definitely take Stafford over Sanchez.

tblain1
10-16-2009, 11:36 AM

I realize I'm stating this weeks after your comment, but my buddy who is a Hawks fan raves about Curry and what he has done so far as a rookie. 29 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, one returned for a TD. I still hold that the kid is going to be a great linebacker.

And i hope this knee injury that Stafford suffered is the end of his injuries this season. One reason i didnt want the Lions to draft him is because I didnt think they were going to be able to protect him and he was going to get "Couch'ed" out there. My philosophy is still to build the interior before you grab your QB.

I'm not saying i'm disappointed in Stafford... i just hope he doesn't get killed out there.

Scotty D
10-16-2009, 12:18 PM
I realize I'm stating this weeks after your comment, but my buddy who is a Hawks fan raves about Curry and what he has done so far as a rookie. 29 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, one returned for a TD. I still hold that the kid is going to be a great linebacker.

And i hope this knee injury that Stafford suffered is the end of his injuries this season. One reason i didnt want the Lions to draft him is because I didnt think they were going to be able to protect him and he was going to get "Couch'ed" out there. My philosophy is still to build the interior before you grab your QB.

I'm not saying i'm disappointed in Stafford... i just hope he doesn't get killed out there.

I bet Stafford could have played last week, and probably this week but there is no reason for him to play. Its the NFL players get hit, other teams have major problems (Eagles - McNabb, Seattle - Hasselback, etc....) with QBs frequently getting injured. Should they play Seneca Wallace to protect Hasselback because he is always getting hurt?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
10-16-2009, 12:24 PM
So many factors to consider if we were to have Curry or Smith. Who is our QB for the future, who did we pick at 20, would we have gotten Foote who has played pretty well or Levy(so far so good and cheap) if we take Curry. Jason Smith hasn't been moved to LT, can he play LT? With all those factors because of Foote and how Stafford has progressed, I like the strategy the Lions used. Plus its only 5 games into the season. Long way to go for all 3 players.

tblain1
10-16-2009, 04:18 PM
So many factors to consider if we were to have Curry or Smith. Who is our QB for the future, who did we pick at 20, would we have gotten Foote who has played pretty well or Levy(so far so good and cheap) if we take Curry. Jason Smith hasn't been moved to LT, can he play LT? With all those factors because of Foote and how Stafford has progressed, I like the strategy the Lions used. Plus its only 5 games into the season. Long way to go for all 3 players.

Very true. Long way to go.

And i will say I'm glad Staff didn't play last week and part of me hopes he doesn't play this next week. And honestly, I'm pretty happy with what I have seen from Culpepper. He hasn't been bad.