PDA

View Full Version : Hiring a new DC to switch to a 3-4

JPF
09-28-2009, 10:19 AM
If you're a team looking for a change on defense, and you want to switch to a 3-4 who do hire?

I know the popular answer is going to be Dick LeBeau and Dom Capers but let's leave them out of this since they are currently DC's that likely won't be going anywhere next off-season.

no bare feet
09-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Romeo Crennel?

diabsoule
09-28-2009, 10:40 AM
The guy that would head my list would be Keith Butler: linebackers coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers since 2003. The Steelers normally have top rated linebackers and Butler has been studying LeBeau's scheme for 6 years and is now in his 7th.

Other guys to consider are:

Al Groh
Romeo Crennel
Pepper Johnson

P-L
09-28-2009, 11:18 AM
What about Dean Pees? I know Belichick is the mastermind of the defense, but this is the 4th year that Pees has been coordinator under Belichick. New England's defensive ranks in that time are:

2006 - 2nd in points, 6th in yards
2007 - 4th in points, 4th in yards
2008 - 8th in points, 10th in yards
2009 - 7th in points, 6th in yards

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-28-2009, 01:02 PM
The guy that would head my list would be Keith Butler: linebackers coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers since 2003. The Steelers normally have top rated linebackers and Butler has been studying LeBeau's scheme for 6 years and is now in his 7th.

Other guys to consider are:

Al Groh
Romeo Crennel
Pepper Johnson

That's a great choice. It seems every few years, Pitt loses a top linebacker and then gets 2 more in its place.

katnip
09-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Butler from Pitt seems like a solid candidate. And Romeo still has upside as a DC too me.

diabsoule - you a pitt steeler fan?

bigbluedefense
09-28-2009, 01:08 PM
I like Diab's choices. Especially the Pittsburgh LB coach.

Ive been pimping Pepper Johnson for the past 2 to 3 years. I think he's ready to make the jump.

Not only was he LB coach under Bellichick, but he was also the dline coach. When he was their LB coach, they had McGinnest, Vrabel, Big Ted, and Bruschi in their prime.

When he became the dline coach, Seymour, Warren and Wilfork were dominant. The guy is good.

If youre a fan of the ZB, go with Butler. If you like more of a 2 gap traditional 3-4, go with Pepper.

I love both. If I had to choose, id probably go with Butler, but Pepper would be a good second choice.

diabsoule
09-28-2009, 01:14 PM
What about Dean Pees? I know Belichick is the mastermind of the defense, but this is the 4th year that Pees has been coordinator under Belichick. New England's defensive ranks in that time are:

Pees is very solid. Another guy to consider, who I felt was ready to make the jump last year and did when Rex Ryan was promoted HC for the Jets, is Mike Pettine. He started on the Ravens staff in 2002 and became their OLB coach in 2005. Rex Ryan speaks very highly of him and considers him his right hand man. Pettine is currently running the NY Jets defense right now as their DC.

Taken from the Jets official website: "Before he was promoted to OLB coach in 2005, Pettine assisted Ryan in 2004 coaching the defensive line. In 2002-03, Pettine used his computer expertise to help develop playbooks, scouting reports and video analysis for the defensive coaches. Through the years he has produced innovative coaching programs that utilize football video to develop playbooks and analyze game video."

Butler from Pitt seems like a solid candidate. And Romeo still has upside as a DC too me.

diabsoule - you a pitt steeler fan?

I'm a Saints fan first then a Steelers fan.

The Unseen
09-28-2009, 02:23 PM
Do not hire Mel Tucker, I can tell ya that. Although it doesn't help that the Jaguars are trying to run a hybrid and are putting players damn near everywhere - 4-3 lineman playing both 3-4 OLB and line, and 4-3 MLBs playing both 3-4 ILB and OLB. it's a damn mess

Hines
09-28-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't think Butler will take another job. If I am right, Butler declined the Cardinals' DC position because I guess he got promised the Steelers' position when LeBeau retires. I may not be exactly right, but I guess that is what I have heard and read.

JT Jag
09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Do not hire Mel Tucker, I can tell ya that. Although it doesn't help that the Jaguars are trying to run a hybrid and are putting players damn near everywhere - 4-3 lineman playing both 3-4 OLB and line, and 4-3 MLBs playing both 3-4 ILB and OLB. it's a damn messI think Tucker has done decently, all things considered.

diabsoule
09-28-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't think Butler will take another job. If I am right, Butler declined the Cardinals' DC position because I guess he got promised the Steelers' position when LeBeau retires. I may not be exactly right, but I guess that is what I have heard and read.

I think this is more of a hypothetical situation than anything.

Hines
09-28-2009, 03:32 PM

It might be, but don't shoot the messager. I hope Butler stays on our staff because I think he would pick up where LeBeau left off.

If Marvin Lewis ever gets fired, I wouldn't mind him as a DC either.

gsorace
09-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Eric Mangini will probably be available by next offseason

Hurricanes25
09-28-2009, 03:36 PM

I dont think he could even get a job as a DC. With his ego, he wants all of the power and he wants to do everything his way. I think he could be a great DC but I dont know if any organization wants to deal with him.

Hines
09-28-2009, 03:38 PM

A little off topic, but if Mangini does get fired by the Browns, I would love to see Leslie Frazier get the job in Cleveland.

terribletowel39
09-28-2009, 03:43 PM
Yes but please, let's all believe in this situation.

Even though I hope Lebeau dies while gameplanning how to beat the Ravens in like 20ish yrs......

That would make him 91ish. That a long enough life.

diabsoule
09-28-2009, 04:22 PM
A little off topic, but if Mangini does get fired by the Browns, I would love to see Leslie Frazier get the job in Cleveland.

I like Frazier but think they could possibly find someone better.

tjsunstein
09-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Dom Capers has been exceptional so far for us.

I didn't read the original post. Oops.

ElectricEye
09-28-2009, 08:47 PM

Dean Pees isn't bad, but honestly, if we could fire him and bring Crennel back today it wouldn't take much thought. While our defensive ranks have been solid from a statistical standpoint, our pass rush has died and gone to heaven. A major part of that is failure to take personnel to support it, but at least half of it is scheme. Not sure how much BB/Pees it is, but still, I don't like what's happened to our defense under Pees.

The Unseen
09-28-2009, 09:10 PM
I think Tucker has done decently, all things considered.

yeah yeah, I was being a bit melodramatic.

Matthew Jones
09-28-2009, 10:45 PM
Dean Pees isn't bad, but honestly, if we could fire him and bring Crennel back today it wouldn't take much thought. While our defensive ranks have been solid from a statistical standpoint, our pass rush has died and gone to heaven. A major part of that is failure to take personnel to support it, but at least half of it is scheme. Not sure how much BB/Pees it is, but still, I don't like what's happened to our defense under Pees.

I agree. I'd LOVE Romeo Crennel back. Charlie Weis would be even better though - our playcalling this year has been atrocious.

thule
09-28-2009, 11:02 PM
Wade Phillips 0.o