PDA

View Full Version : Packers-Vikings, Week 4

GB12
09-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Something's supposed to be special about this game. I can't seem to remember what though.

the_legend_killer
09-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Brett Swain's first trip to the Metrodome?

The_Dude
09-28-2009, 09:47 PM
It will be epic. Unfortunately my seats are right behind the visitor's bench, so i will probably be surrounded by a good number of stinkin' Packers' fans. ;)

PackerLegend
09-28-2009, 11:04 PM
I hope we can get some good clean shots on you know who. I absolutely hate everything about the Viqueens and there is not a game I want to win more.

TitleTown088
09-29-2009, 12:16 AM
It will be epic. Unfortunately my seats are right behind the visitor's bench, so i will probably be surrounded by a good number of stinkin' Packers' fans. ;)

Hopefully me and I wont be abiding.

I really hope Cliffy can get healthy for this game. If Rodgers keeps getting sacked it could be a long game.

tjsunstein
09-29-2009, 12:18 AM
I don't have a good feeling about our offensive line going up against Jared Allen and the Williams.

johbur
09-29-2009, 01:33 AM
Yah, Serena and Venus are juicers and have all off-season to roid-freak their tubs of lard into shape. AD bruised a bit, so if Favreau has to air it out, Wood and Harris could add to their pick totals.

drowe
09-29-2009, 11:30 AM
ugh. i'm just stressed. not even excited. it's gonna be a long 3 hours. i feel like i'm gonna need a bye week to recover just as a fan.

I don't like our chances in this game. team for team, we're pretty even. But, I don't see how the Packers will have an answer for Adrian Peterson and Jared Allen.

It'd be hard to imagine stopping AD when Cedric Benson ran all over us.

And, it's hard to imagine blocking Jared Allen when we made Antwaan Odom look like Reggie White.

That said, there's no reason the defense can't get fired up and treat Brent like a worthless rag doll..and force him to treat our DBs like WRs.

And, to the poster that said there's no game he'd rather win. there is for me. it's on november 1st at Lambeau Field.

AJHawk50
09-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I hope we get some clean shots, and as mentioned by others I want the wins vs. Minnesota more than any other game. I too am a little worried about Adrian Peterson and Jared Allen. We let Cedric Benson get 100 yards rushing so how is AP going to do? Odom gets 5 sacks, what is Allen going to do?

drowe
09-30-2009, 12:08 PM
plus, we really didnt' get a lot of pressure vs cincy or stl. I wonder though, the defense could not have looked more vanilla in those 2 games. didn't have the crazy looks and blitzes ya normally see with a Capers defense. i can't help wonder if we are saving the good stuff for brent and the 'queens.

TitleTown088
09-30-2009, 01:33 PM
ugh. i'm just stressed. not even excited. it's gonna be a long 3 hours. i feel like i'm gonna need a bye week to recover just as a fan.

Well you're in luck, Packers have a bye after this.

TitleTown088
10-01-2009, 07:25 PM
Anyone else going to the game?

KCJ58
10-01-2009, 08:03 PM
is the game at Green Bay going to be Primetime game as well?

TitleTown088
10-01-2009, 08:05 PM
is the game at Green Bay going to be Primetime game as well?

Nope. Nov 1st 12pm

roughrider30
10-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Anyone else going to the game?

It might be just the 2 of us off of here. How much did you spend on tickets btw? if you don't mind me asking.

I dropped 175 and my seats aren't even that great, it was just too great of an opportunity for me to pass up i guess :D

vikes_28
10-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I'm wishing an injury free game between these two bad-blooded teams.

TitleTown088
10-02-2009, 11:08 AM
It might be just the 2 of us off of here. How much did you spend on tickets btw? if you don't mind me asking.

I dropped 175 and my seats aren't even that great, it was just too great of an opportunity for me to pass up i guess :D

220 per. But they're nice ticket's (as nice as they get at the dome). I bought them along time ago.

TitleTown088
10-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Sounds like Clifton is out for sure and Raji looks doubtful now too. Great.

wordofi
10-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Packers are going to win the game in my opinion because they have the highest turnover margin in the game. Also, Brett Favre can make stupid throws, and I see that in his future Monday night. Finally, Peterson has a tendency to fumble.

Whistler6
10-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Simple math, 12>4

Still, every storyline is Brett Favre vs the Packers. I think the true story of this game will be Adrian Peterson against the Packer defense. Green Bay's run defense is not good.

I hope for a close game that the Pack can eek out at the end. And I'm praying to God that Aaron Rodgers leaves this game without a broken neck...

TitleTown088
10-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Hutch is questionable. That would be big.

drowe
10-05-2009, 08:51 AM
Hutch is questionable. That would be big.

yup. that'd cancel out the lack of Raji nicely. that's polite of them.

now, if only they'd pull jared allen due to clifton's injury. haha.

TitleTown088
10-05-2009, 10:04 AM
yup. that'd cancel out the lack of Raji nicely. that's polite of them.
Raji is supposed to play.

Whistler6
10-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Was it last year or the year before Harris tackled AD low and it knocked him out for the game? ...If Peterson somehow got knocked out of the game on another "fair" hit like that, I wouldn't be too beat up about it.

drowe
10-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Was it last year or the year before Harris tackled AD low and it knocked him out for the game? ...If Peterson somehow got knocked out of the game on another "fair" hit like that, I wouldn't be too beat up about it.

i don't want to wish for injuries. if this game lives up to the hype, it'll be a game we'll remember for our whole lives. knocking AD out would cheapen things. plus, if the 'queens still managed to win, you know who would get all the credit.

i want both teams to be at their best. and i want brett favre to throw 4 interceptions and fumble the ball when kampman hits him hard. yes.

djp
10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Raji is supposed to play.

Yeah, as is Hutchinson.

Good luck tonight fellas. May Greg Jennings have massive diarrhea before and during the game.

jackalope
10-05-2009, 10:28 PM
Terrible ******* game. The fact that we don't have anyone better than Allen Barber is depressing. He might as well be cut. Pass defense is absolutely terrible. I don't understand why we decided we didn't need a pass rush. Way to content with three rushers for some reason.

GB12
10-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Terrible ******* game. The fact that we don't have anyone better than Allen Barber is depressing. He might as well be cut. Pass defense is absolutely terrible. I don't understand why we decided we didn't need a pass rush. Way to content with three rushers for some reason.

The sad thing is that Barbre isn't even the worst player on our line right now.

Vikes99ej
10-05-2009, 11:08 PM
Good game guys. I felt bad for you fellas with that offensive line. Clifton would have owned JA's ****.

EvilMonkey
10-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Mike McCarthy, how i hate thee.....

GB12
I know they helped Jared Allen get his stats just by being there, but Williams and Williams seemed non existant.

GB12
Mike McCarthy, how i hate thee.....
Why? This loss is definitely not his fault.

yo123
10-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Good game guys. I felt bad for you fellas with that offensive line. Clifton would have owned JA's ****.

Not sure how you can say that for sure with how good he played tonight.

But yeah, good game guys. Always a good game when we play you.

Boston
10-05-2009, 11:18 PM
How the **** does Donald Lee catch that ******* ball? The fact that he can't make a simple play like that that literally decided the fate of the game is ******* pathetic. Go **** yourself. And honestly, where the **** was that pass interference on Woodson's interception. I wasn't watching the game with much volume, but it was implied that it was on Woodson and there was just nothing there. ******* ******** whatever the **** it was. Those two plays right there are a swing of ******* 14 points based on fundamental ******* errors.

yo123
10-05-2009, 11:19 PM
How the **** does Donald Lee catch that ******* ball? The fact that he can't make a simple play like that that literally decided the fate of the game is ******* pathetic. Go **** yourself. And honestly, where the **** was that pass interference on Woodson's interception. I wasn't watching the game with much volume, but it was implied that it was on Woodson and there was just nothing there. ******* ******** whatever the **** it was. Those two plays right there are a swing of ******* 14 points based on fundamental ******* errors.

The PI on Woodson didn't matter, you guys were offsides anyway.

sweetness34
10-05-2009, 11:20 PM

2 turnovers, horrible OL play, missed coverage assignments, a safety, no running game and you still were within a touchdown of sending the game to overtime. I don't know if this were the Bears whether I would be somewhat happy about that or flat out disappointed because of how many boneheaded mistakes you guys had tonight.

I really didn't expect you to win in the Metrodome but I was disappointed in your execution for a majority of the game. Having a JV OL doesn't help matters but the penalties and mistakes really cost you guys.

Dr. Gonzo
10-05-2009, 11:20 PM

It did not decide the game. Would the game have been different? Yes. Maybe the Packers could have even pulled off the upset. The fact remains the game didn't turn out like that and the Vikings played more conservative football because of it. **** happens but I can understand the frustration.

sweetness34
10-05-2009, 11:21 PM
The PI on Woodson didn't matter, you guys were offsides anyway.

The fact that the referee made that call was flat out ridiculous. Favre, yet again escapes a bone headed play with luck (dropped pick 6 last week in the 4th Quarter as well).

I really didn't see whether or not the Packers were offside but that just adds insult to injury.

yo123
10-05-2009, 11:22 PM
The fact that the referee made that call was flat out ridiculous. Favre, yet again escapes a bone headed play with luck (dropped pick 6 last week in the 4th Quarter as well).

I really didn't see whether or not the Packers were offside but that just adds insult to injury.

It was a horrible call I'm not denying that. But it didn't have any impact on the game.

Dr. Gonzo

You may not have seen it but they were offside and even if the PI hadn't have been called, it wouldn't have mattered.

GB12
Not sure how you can say that for sure with how good he played tonight.

But yeah, good game guys. Always a good game when we play you.
Because Chad Clifton is 100x better than what Allen faced tonight. Clifton has always played very well against Allen too. Maybe he wouldn't "owned JA's ****", but he probably could have held him to one sack.

Boston
10-05-2009, 11:24 PM
It was a horrible call I'm not denying that. But it didn't have any impact on the game.

You don't see how seven points scored just before halftime had any impact on the game...really?

yo123
10-05-2009, 11:26 PM
You don't see how seven points scored just before halftime had any impact on the game...really?

What are you talking about? We would have had the ball on the 2 yard line and AD scored on the next play either way. He wasn't even touched on the next play.

GB12
10-05-2009, 11:26 PM
The worst thing about this loss is going to be all the stupid **** people will be saying tomorrow about how Ted Thompson should be fired and he's an idiot for trading Brett Favre, etc.

sweetness34
10-05-2009, 11:27 PM
You may not have seen it but they were offside and even if the PI hadn't have been called, it wouldn't have mattered.

I'm not saying it wasn't there, just that I did not see it because they were showing the replay of the PI call.

Still though, a dog **** call and Favre escapes yet again. Right after that they had another offsides I believe as well.

You can't expect to win a game when you have as many mistakes as the Packers did tonight (I'm pretty sure you guys already know that though).

The Vikings had what, 2 penalties tonight? And both were offsides calls. I would really like to ask Chilly and Favre what the **** they were thinking throwing a bomb when the needed to run clock. That cocky place almost cost them the game tonight.

That play is also the reason why the Vikings won't win the Super Bowl. Chilly is one of the worst game-day coaches in the league. He makes some really ******* stupid decisions sometimes.

sweetness34
10-05-2009, 11:28 PM
The worst thing about this loss is going to be all the stupid **** people will be saying tomorrow about how Ted Thompson should be fired and he's an idiot for trading Brett Favre, etc.

I do applaud Jaws and Gruden for saying that Thompson made the right call on the Favre situation. It was about the only objective thing those two said the entire night.

General Zod
10-05-2009, 11:29 PM
Good game all. Im still a big Aaron Rodgers fan. I have been ever since he was drafted.

Whistler6
10-05-2009, 11:30 PM
If Favre was for *** marriage, Minnesota would unamimously vote ''yes'' in a heart beat...Led by Jon Gruden and Jaws

Whistler6
10-05-2009, 11:31 PM
How do you love and hate a guy so much at the same time?

"I hope Packer fans know how I feel about them" -Brett Favre

...I can sleep now, night everyone. Tough loss, bye week, get healthy, back on track.

princefielder28
10-05-2009, 11:36 PM
I'm still thinking over the game but all I can say at this time is no surprises

Boston
10-05-2009, 11:43 PM
Isn't Capers supposed to be a blitzing defensive coordinator? Do we blitz anymore? I know it's AD, but you've got a QB who's 40 years old in a few days, and you don't rush at least five guys every passing play, really?

RockJock07
10-06-2009, 01:04 AM
So after calming down here's how I'm looking at this...

First off I not even pissed at Farve, I don't care for him and honestly not watching him this season I wasn't sure how he would play. He played great, simple as that.

I've been a big fan of MM and TT but at this point they have to be held accountable. TT for his lack of attention to the DL and OL. We all know games are won and lost in the trenches and his lack of attention to those area could be his downfall.

MM has to get this team for focused. I'm sick and tired of getting flagged at the worst possible moment. The Packers didn't get flagged alot tonight but when they did it killed them, either on holding calls or holding calls on kickoff returns. Also, Grant getting only 11 carries is awful, running the damn ball!

At this point, I'm very concerned with every facet of this team. The offensive line can't give Aaron the time to find deep open routes which are the bread and butter for this team. Also, Jennings has disappeared which could be tied to the OL but lets get back to quick hitters and screens which were killing teams in 07.

If Dom Capers refuses to blitz this team is going to get killed. They need to find a way to get to the QB, not even sack him but just get some sort of pressure in the pocket.

To be honest I don't think the OL is a fixable problem this year but under MM the lack of a running game last season and this one have been a recurring problems as have penalties.

I'm looking at the schedule and I feel ok about it. The packers need to go at least 4-1 in the next 5. I think that's fair and if the Packers are as good as they've claimed, they need to go 4-1 or even 5-0.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with how they played tonight and I don't see a fix for the biggest problem, the OL.

BloodBrother
10-06-2009, 03:40 AM
The loss of Clifton definitely hurts...that is on the GM. With Clifton out, it impacts 3 spots on the OL since they don't have any depth. What happens is Colledge...who has done a good job at LG, gets moved to LT, where as we saw, he can't hack it there. Spitz, our center, then is moved to LG, meaning that the backup C Scott Wells comes in. He isn't bad, but Spitz is better. Barbre looked better tonight, but he still isn't good

Will be avoiding ESPN for the week and won't be reading any press clippings. People will try to say that it was Rodgers vs Favre, but the story tonight was the Packers OL/DL Vs the Vikes OL/DL....and the Vikes won both of those battles with ease

Considering Brent has been in that offense his entire career, and the fact he had all day the entire game to throw, it's not surprising he did well. You give a QB all the time in the world, they'll find an open guy.

I'm pissed at the loss, but in the end I sort of expected it. I believe they'll split the series, with the Vikes winning in their dome like usual and then the Pack returning the favor in Lambeau. I hate bringing up officiating but the Vikes with only 1 flag? Come on.

I'm glad I live in CA and wont' have to deal with the braindead Furve fans in Wisconsin who are a disgrace to Pack fans everywhere. Sorry to the other real Pack fans who will have to deal with those morons throughout the week

All I will say is, I'm glad they have Rodgers. He is a very good QB, is young and is on the upswing of his career. I love his class, his maturity, his leadership and toughness. Despite having a sieve for an OL he continued to take the hits and continued to try and get the team back in the game. With that said, he needs to either decide to tuck the ball and run or throw it away. He's been sacked a ton and he isn't without fault in almost half of those. He needs to get rid of the ball quicker. It wasn't as glaring a problem last year with better protection so I'll chalk it up to the crappy OL messing up his internal clock.

Go into the bye, rest up, Get Clifton back. Also, memo to McCarthy...how about not abandoning the run so damn early every game? Also, keep with the short passing game and slants, none of these slow developing plays because quite frankly, they don't have time to develop with this OL. Go with what works. Even when the game was close I think Grant had like 7 carries

Kampman seems wasted in this scheme. I love the guy, but since he is wasted in this scheme they might be wise to trade him for OL help or a FS

I'm not worried. Pack get a bye, then get to face DET and then CLE before the Queens come to Lambeau. Meanwhile, the Vikes will have been coming off facing the Ravens and Steelers. That game could be for the division lead once again

drowe
10-06-2009, 10:04 AM
well, i'm just a big ******* ray of sunshine today.

The good
-Run Defense. Well, look who decided to show up. NEVER would've guessed we shut down AD that well. So impressed with the way the D swarmed to him everytime he touched the ball.

-Jermichael Finley. He needs to be the starting TE. He needed to be the starting TE in week 1. Donald Lee is about as usefull as tits on a boar. He needs to be demoted, cut, replaced, and tarred and feathered.

-WR depth-Also, very nice to see Nelson and Jones FINALLY contribute. We need to get them more involved if the offense is gonna fire on all cylinders.

The bad----i won't even mention the obvious. the o-line and lack of pass rush will get beaten to death. There is nothing I could contribute that 12 people won't say.

-but, really. pass rush. it almost negated the shutdown of AD. they obviously spent a lot of time gameplanning AD, and wanted to let Brent beat 'em in the air. but, wow. I don't know if i've ever seen so little pressure on a QB over a whole game. Kampman looks lost as an OLB. he should not be re signed.

-******* mistakes. we left a lot of points on the field. driving down to FG range 3 times and getting 0 points was the difference in the game.

-didn't Greg Jennings used to play for the packers?

overall...yeah. if Clifton was playing.....meh. finish the sentence yourself. but, having a capable body to put in front of JareDUI Allen would've been nice to have. the fumble and the safety likely would not have happened. who knows what else. we'll find out on november 1st.

while it was difficult to hear the metrodome erupt in applause when the PACKERS WON A CHALLENGE, i do commend Mike McCarthy for making the tough call and sacrificing a safety for what would very likely would've been a TD. a lot of coaches wouldn't make that call just because it involves giving points to the other team.

i expected a loss. i had 2-2 in my head all week. that's not bad. but, i'm not ok with losing the game based on mistakes. the vikings were at their best last night. and the packers stuck with them even with one dumbass mistake after the next. these 2 teams both at their best, i think we know the outcome.

PackerLegend
10-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Rodgers had almost 400 yards behind a big pile of **** o-line. Imagine what he would do if he wasn't running for his life every 2 seconds. Dont know if the int was his fault or Jennings and he may have held the ball a little to long a few plays but I tought he played pretty good. After getting drilled 20 times just counting the sacks and still be able to stay pretty calm behind what's suppose to be an offense line says enough.

Favre this Favre that... seriously guys were wide open and I mean wide almost every play and absolutely no pressure in his face. Anyone could have done just as good.

The 3 drives inside their 30 atleast maybe it was the 20 cost us this game. As bad as some aspects were we still could have won this game but we left alot of points on the field with the fumble, int, and 4th down drop.

Anyone who hates Thompson for getting rid of Mr. Indecisive himself for Aaron Rodgers is a ****ing moron who knows nothing.

TitleTown088
10-06-2009, 04:52 PM
I know they helped Jared Allen get his stats just by being there, but Williams and Williams seemed non existant.

Yeah, the interior line has played much much better than the Tackles. If they could all put it together...

GB12
10-06-2009, 07:44 PM
I've been a big fan of MM and TT but at this point they have to be held accountable. TT for his lack of attention to the DL and OL. We all know games are won and lost in the trenches and his lack of attention to those area could be his downfall.
Lack of attention to the DL? He signed a free agent that was a great pick up for us in Ryan Pickett and spent 2 of his 5 first picks on DTs. Not to mention that we already had an all pro DE in Kampman on the line. He also drafted Johnny Jolly who has become a good player. How is that not enough attention to the DL? The DL has gotten more attention that almost every other postition. And I don't get the complaining about our DL. It has been damn good this year and Raji hasn't even been playing.

MM has to get this team for focused. I'm sick and tired of getting flagged at the worst possible moment. The Packers didn't get flagged alot tonight but when they did it killed them, either on holding calls or holding calls on kickoff returns. Also, Grant getting only 11 carries is awful, running the damn ball!
That's not McCarthy's fault. He can't do anything to focus the line from getting a holding call.

Grant only getting 11 carries isn't awful. The Vikings have the best run defense in the league, why would we pound the run against them? Especially since our offensive line sucks and wouldn't get enough push. The only reason we had any success in those 11 carries is because they were more worried about the pass. Had we ran it 30 times they would have been locked in to stop it and we probably would have averaged like 2.5 yards per carry. Then people would be complaining that he ran the ball too much. I'm glad that McCarthy's not afraid to abandon the run. The passing game was working. We had crap protection, but when Rodgers was able to get the ball out we destroyed the Vikings secondary.

BloodBrother
10-06-2009, 09:28 PM
Rodgers had almost 400 yards behind a big pile of **** o-line. Imagine what he would do if he wasn't running for his life every 2 seconds. Dont know if the int was his fault or Jennings and he may have held the ball a little to long a few plays but I tought he played pretty good. After getting drilled 20 times just counting the sacks and still be able to stay pretty calm behind what's suppose to be an offense line says enough.

Favre this Favre that... seriously guys were wide open and I mean wide almost every play and absolutely no pressure in his face. Anyone could have done just as good.

The 3 drives inside their 30 atleast maybe it was the 20 cost us this game. As bad as some aspects were we still could have won this game but we left alot of points on the field with the fumble, int, and 4th down drop.

Anyone who hates Thompson for getting rid of Mr. Indecisive himself for Aaron Rodgers is a ****ing moron who knows nothing.

Nothing we can do man. Those idiots are out there, and they are the ones who were at Brett Favre's steakhouse in Green Bay, wearing their purlpe #4 uniforms, etc. It is what it is. These people, sadly, root for the player, not the team. No need to convince them of anything. I just try to ignore them

anybody who knows football who watched that game knows that the Packers didn't make some big mistake QB wise...the difference was in the teams OL/DL. Put Rodgers on the Vikes yesterday and he easily does what Favre did. You could put quite a few QB's back there and they would have just as good a game. Having no fear of being touched by the defense makes it feel like the QB is just playing catch with his WR's with a breeze

it's still early, the loss sucked, but its typical Packers play in the humpty dome. Pack will get them in Lambeau

Whistler6
10-06-2009, 10:03 PM
DEEP BREATHS Packer fans. Man oh man. The Packers lost a road game against an excellent defense who was favored. Listening to the postgame, fans are up in arms.

I agree, anyone pissed at TT for keeping A-Rod and moving Favre is kidding themselves. The Vikings are on top of the world right now, 4-0, one month into the season.... A year from now when Favre is gone they will be back to square one, while the Packer's young core continues to grow together

It had to be done, it's over. High school 7-on-7 allowed us 4 seconds to throw the ball or it was a sack. Favre had 5 seconds nearly every play. Yes he's great, but give Rodgers that line and it's a COMPLETELY different ball game.

Bye week, then Browns and Lions. Relax. I'm glad there is some sense on this board not jumping off bridges yet.

Whistler6
10-06-2009, 10:04 PM
Nothing we can do man. Those idiots are out there, and they are the ones who were at Brett Favre's steakhouse in Green Bay, wearing their purlpe #4 uniforms, etc. It is what it is. These people, sadly, root for the player, not the team. No need to convince them of anything. I just try to ignore them

anybody who knows football who watched that game knows that the Packers didn't make some big mistake QB wise...the difference was in the teams OL/DL. Put Rodgers on the Vikes yesterday and he easily does what Favre did. You could put quite a few QB's back there and they would have just as good a game. Having no fear of being touched by the defense makes it feel like the QB is just playing catch with his WR's with a breeze

it's still early, the loss sucked, but its typical Packers play in the humpty dome. Pack will get them in Lambeau

A voice of reason, thank you.

awfullyquiet
10-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, the interior line has played much much better than the Tackles. If Ryan Grant could put it together...

I think I fixed your leak...

TitleTown088
10-06-2009, 10:18 PM

Grant ran for 50 yards on just 11 carries ( 4.6 per) and had 50 more receiving. Grant has actually played very well vs the vikings in his career, which is strange. I'd be curious as to what that chump Forte would have vs the Vikings run D.

TitleTown088
10-06-2009, 10:20 PM
Lack of attention to the DL? He signed a free agent that was a great pick up for us in Ryan Pickett and spent 2 of his 5 first picks on DTs. Not to mention that we already had an all pro DE in Kampman on the line. He also drafted Johnny Jolly who has become a good player. How is that not enough attention to the DL? The DL has gotten more attention that almost every other postition. And I don't get the complaining about our DL. It has been damn good this year and Raji hasn't even been playing..

Not to mention he's spent more draft picks on the Oline than any other position...

Whistler6
10-06-2009, 11:31 PM
Grant ran for 50 yards on just 11 carries ( 4.6 per) and had 50 more receiving. Grant has actually played very well vs the vikings in his career, which is strange. I'd be curious as to what that chump Forte would have vs the Vikings run D.

You know Lovie Smith has confidence in Forte when he sends in Garrett Wolfe to get a goal-line score this past week... Psh.

Grant ran hard, and actually did a good job making people miss last night.

GB12
10-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Grant gets a lot more **** than he should. Mainly from Packer fans.

Boston
10-07-2009, 12:04 AM

Remember that time the Packers beat the Bears? Good times.

BloodBrother
10-07-2009, 01:45 AM
It's not Grant's fault that McCarthy seems to abandon the run game so soon. He had around 7 carries going into the 3rd quarter when the game up until that point was either tied or the pack were within one score. I just don't get it, especially since they were actually having some success on the ground vs that stout front 7

drowe
10-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Grant gets a lot more **** than he should. Mainly from Packer fans.

yeah, i think i'm one of the biggest Grant bashers among packer fans here. and, when it comes down to it, maybe my frustration is more with the running game in general. if Brandon Jackson panned out, we'd have a solid 3rd down back to compliment Grant. it would make Grant look better, make the running game look better, and add a new dimension to our offense.

Grant is a 'tweener. he's not a big bruising back that's gonna get tough yards up the middle. and, he's not a shifty speed back that is a home run threat every time he gets the ball. which is fine. not every RB has to be pigeon holed. But, we have nobody that is a threat as a reciever out of the backfield and we have nobody that can be counted on on 3rd and 1.

so, yeah, i'm not satisfied with Grant. i feel like you can put any team's backup in his place back there and he'd do just as well, or better than what Grant is capable of.

Whistler6
10-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I agree with you completely. If he has a pro bowl o-line, he's a pro bowl player. If he has a sub par o-line, he's just another back.

He isn't a guy who wil bust a 60 yarder because of his shiftiness...He's the guy who can make one move and get 7-8 yards.

RB should be a strong consideration this coming NFL draft and offseason

awfullyquiet
10-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Remember that time the Packers beat the Bears? Good times.

I'm not Renji. Don't play that game, Sorry.

Re: Forte. Much more legit than Grant. Probably injured. Has greater potential than Grant as well. Drowe is right, really, that's what i've knocked him on mostly was his ability to smartly hit the hole. That seemed to disappear all of last year, and isn't great this year. Your ZBS enough to demand that your tackles don't get beat when they're 1v1, and that's all thats happening, and is the overwhelming problem with ZBS. Your line is all finesse and no power.

Gay Ork Wang
10-07-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm not Renji. Don't play that game, Sorry.

Re: Forte. Much more legit than Grant. Probably injured.
haha u play that with me all the time!

awfullyquiet
10-07-2009, 03:51 PM
haha u play that with me all the time!

that's because your special. and not a packers fan.

RockJock07
10-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Lack of attention to the DL? He signed a free agent that was a great pick up for us in Ryan Pickett and spent 2 of his 5 first picks on DTs. Not to mention that we already had an all pro DE in Kampman on the line. He also drafted Johnny Jolly who has become a good player. How is that not enough attention to the DL? The DL has gotten more attention that almost every other postition. And I don't get the complaining about our DL. It has been damn good this year and Raji hasn't even been playing.

That's not McCarthy's fault. He can't do anything to focus the line from getting a holding call.

Grant only getting 11 carries isn't awful. The Vikings have the best run defense in the league, why would we pound the run against them? Especially since our offensive line sucks and wouldn't get enough push. The only reason we had any success in those 11 carries is because they were more worried about the pass. Had we ran it 30 times they would have been locked in to stop it and we probably would have averaged like 2.5 yards per carry. Then people would be complaining that he ran the ball too much. I'm glad that McCarthy's not afraid to abandon the run. The passing game was working. We had crap protection, but when Rodgers was able to get the ball out we destroyed the Vikings secondary.

Let me preface this with I love what TT and MM have done here but I'm quickly getting frustrated at the things that have been going on not just this season but at things that have been going on for awhile.

I'll agree with your first point, the DL has been tended too however Kampman is no longer a DL and that presents a problem when your best pass rushing is feeling out of place. Granted he still is rushing the passer but he looks out of place and its showing.

I totally disagree with your 2nd point. MM job is to limit mental mistakes, its not just holding on the online, its been during kick returns this season more that I can ever remember.

Also, running the ball is key, even during the first half the packers didn't run the ball. Running the ball slows the pass rush which seemed to be a problem monday night. Of course the passing game worked great but there must be a balance to any offense.

GB12
10-07-2009, 07:28 PM
I'll agree with your first point, the DL has been tended too however Kampman is no longer a DL and that presents a problem when your best pass rushing is feeling out of place. Granted he still is rushing the passer but he looks out of place and its showing.
The point in bringing up Kampman was that up until this year he was part of the defensive line. In 4 of his 5 years Thompson didn't even have to think about getting a LDE because that spot was filled by a pro bowler. So really for three DL spots he has signed a big name free agent and drafted two first rounders. That's definitely not lack of attention.

I totally disagree with your 2nd point. MM job is to limit mental mistakes, its not just holding on the online, its been during kick returns this season more that I can ever remember. No, you have to hold the players accountable for that. There's nothing McCarthy can say that's going to keep a player from holding. A holding call is not at all the fault of the coach. And holding penalties aren't mental mistakes.

umphrey
10-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Everything that is wrong with this team is OL. All of our offensive problems stem from that. We are set everywhere else on the team with the one possible exception of a pass rusher or two.

I don't know why we don't have Kampman with his hand down in passing situations.
We could run a 3-3-5 or 3-2-6 with
.................Jenkins - Raji/Jolly - Kampman

Or a 4-2-5 with
.................Jenkins - Jolly - Raji - Kampman

And I think we would look a lot better. The lack of a pass rush is because we aren't putting our defense together correctly on 3rd down. The offense sucks because our personnel on the OL are a bunch of wimps that don't look any different from college football and Clifton.

RockJock07
10-08-2009, 01:16 PM
The point in bringing up Kampman was that up until this year he was part of the defensive line. In 4 of his 5 years Thompson didn't even have to think about getting a LDE because that spot was filled by a pro bowler. So really for three DL spots he has signed a big name free agent and drafted two first rounders. That's definitely not lack of attention.

No, you have to hold the players accountable for that. There's nothing McCarthy can say that's going to keep a player from holding. A holding call is not at all the fault of the coach. And holding penalties aren't mental mistakes.

Well you have your opinion and I have mine. Well coached teams don't commit penalties and I believe that penalties are mental mistakes. Players are accountable to a degree but coaching can either have a positive or negative effect on how many penalties are committed.

Sure every OL holds once in a while however this has been a constant problem. Penalties on kickoffs are a result of coaches not coaching proper technique. I would love to hold players accountable for every mistake on the football field however that's not realistic and the buck stops with the coach.