PDA

View Full Version : Bucs name Josh Johnson as Starting QB

TACKLE
09-28-2009, 11:06 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4511636

I know I could of put this in the team boards but I know Josh Johnson is a guy a lot of people on this board where intrigued by coming out and were cheering for. Leftwich has been moved to #3 and Freeman will back up Johnson.

He's in a bad situation but how do you think he'll do as an NFL Starter?

Giantsfan1080
09-28-2009, 11:06 PM
You're Welcome.

tjsunstein
09-28-2009, 11:08 PM
He can't do much worse than Leftwich.

Chucky
09-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Im so excited to watch him play on Sunday. No longer have to watch ******* Leftwich. Jags must be laughing

SchizophrenicBatman
09-28-2009, 11:12 PM
Not a good spot for him but I think he shows enough to get another shot on a different team after the Bucs transition to Bust Freeman

Raiderz4Life
09-28-2009, 11:16 PM
He's going to be intriguing....he has athleticism...I hope he does well and then comes to the Raiders and saves the franchise

DoughBoy
09-28-2009, 11:20 PM
Should be interesting. He will be a perfect west coast QB if he lives up to his physical tools.

Chucky
09-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Josh Johnsons is already the 3rd best starting QB in the division ;)

09-28-2009, 11:24 PM
I hope Al Davis is watching.

CC.SD
09-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Shut the NFL down, it has begun.

Lp5ekMlQvi4

aNYtitan
09-28-2009, 11:25 PM
He can't do much worse than Leftwich.

You may be taking those words back

CC.SD
09-28-2009, 11:27 PM
You may be taking those words back

No, that won't happen. JJ is the truth for realsies.

Saints-Tigers
09-28-2009, 11:40 PM
Most talented QB on the roster IMO, I like him.

Go_Eagles77
09-28-2009, 11:52 PM
I actually thought he should be given a chance before they drafted someone (Freeman) and once the bucs had all those QBs I was hoping the eagles could get him somehow. Then we got Vick and the bucs kept Johnson so I knew that wouldn't happen.

aNYtitan
09-28-2009, 11:53 PM
No, that won't happen. JJ is the truth for realsies.

Yeah I'm sure. I'm pretty sure Marshal fans also though Leftwich would have turned it around as a Buccaneer.

Rosebud
09-29-2009, 12:08 AM
He not only was their best passer but also best rusher yesterday, I think he could be the next jeff garcia and I'm curious to see how he does.

yourfavestoner
09-29-2009, 12:17 AM
San Diego represent!

Staubach12
09-29-2009, 12:17 AM
How the hell can Morris do this after declaring Johnson a "career backup"?

Edit: Also, Johnson is one of the main reasons drafting Freeman was so stupid. TB had a physically awesome developing QB, and you could have drafted, oh say Percy Harvin or Hakeem Nicks.

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 12:22 AM

Don't waste your thoughts on Morris he's obviously a placeholder for one of the big names next year.

Beans
09-29-2009, 12:40 AM
dump freeman, because
http://i38.tinypic.com/106hpv5.png

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 12:43 AM
dump freeman, because

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu226/ccsdccsd/270913946_efa38ec3d8.jpg

Flyboy
09-29-2009, 12:49 AM
dump freeman, because

QFT. Always been a fan of his - liked him coming out as a prospect. I hope he does well except against the Saints. It has begun!!

ElectricEye
09-29-2009, 01:09 AM
Loved this guy coming out. Think I had him as my third or fourth quarterback. I'm surprised it's taken him this long to find playing time, honestly. Hopefully he does something with it because he's all kinds of talented. Not just as a runner either. People forget that that's literally the icing on the cake. He made his name as a passer and people only really realized how fast he was after the combine.

Beans
09-29-2009, 01:25 AM

Edit: Also, Johnson is one of the main reasons drafting Freeman was so stupid. TB had a physically awesome developing QB, and you could have drafted, oh say Percy Harvin or Hakeem Nicks.

or, a competent defender

Paranoidmoonduck
09-29-2009, 01:28 AM
So Johnson must be the filler until the Bucs feel like throwing Freeman into the fire, right? Freeman wasn't super polished coming out of Kansas State, but Johnson was super raw coming out of San Diego and as previously mentioned, he hasn't exactly earned much praise from his coaches.

YAYareaRB
09-29-2009, 01:31 AM
****** East Oakland in the house!

diabsoule
09-29-2009, 02:02 AM
I liked him a lot in the draft. I felt he needed to be developed but figured in a few years he could develop into something nice behind center. I wanted the Saints to draft him in the later rounds so that they could have a long term plan after Brees.

thetedginnshow
09-29-2009, 02:07 AM
Wait. I haven't been paying attention. What's Freeman doing?

Bengalsrocket
09-29-2009, 02:25 AM
Wait. I haven't been paying attention. What's Freeman doing?

I believe he's watching Josh Johnson :)

YAYareaRB
09-29-2009, 02:52 AM
It's like the Bucs are like.. hey lets throw someone into the fire and see who does better.

The Unseen
09-29-2009, 08:45 AM
Raheem Morris is that bad, huh.

Beans
09-29-2009, 10:52 AM
for anyone who didnt see the bucs/giants game:

basically leftwich managed only one first down all game, so they threw in JJ for the last drive and he drove right down the field, and the only reason we didn't score is because our receivers forgot how to catch.

so after johnson was the only reason the bucs showed any life on sunday it a lot of us were clamoring for him to start (or at least i was)

awfullyquiet
09-29-2009, 10:59 AM

basically leftwich managed only one first down all game, so they threw in JJ for the last drive and he drove right down the field, and the only reason we didn't score is because our receivers don't know how to catch.

so after johnson was the only reason the bucs showed any life on sunday it a lot of us were clamoring for him to start (or at least i was)

fixed it for you. sorry :( leftwich didn't help whatsoever.

Giantsfan1080
09-29-2009, 11:39 AM
Johnson marched right down the field in the 4th because we were playing the softest zone ever. We were trying to run the clock by giving you completions. I don't think you can really use that drive as an example of how he might do.

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Johnson marched right down the field in the 4th because we were playing the softest zone ever. We were trying to run the clock by giving you completions. I don't think you can really use that drive as an example of how he might do.

You only think this because Josh Johnson wants you to think it.

Rosebud
09-29-2009, 11:46 AM

basically leftwich managed only one first down all game, so they threw in JJ for the last drive and he drove right down the field, and the only reason we didn't score is because our receivers forgot how to catch.

While Johnson looked good that was garbage time and we gave away the short stuff as we sold out on preventing the quick score. Not trying to crush you're hope but just trying to put a little perspective on what he actually did.

awfullyquiet
09-29-2009, 11:51 AM
Hey, it was a lot better than what the Buccos did the rest of the day.

vikes_28
09-29-2009, 12:37 PM
It's a desperation move. I knew Leftwhich wouldn't be able to handle it. Next year he will be playing for the UFL. This is a good thing that Johnson is starting, that means Freeman will start playing in two weeks. Freeman is on my fantasy team :D

Rjspartan
09-29-2009, 02:56 PM
im excited i wanted him on my team cause we need a QB lol

Thecollegedropout
09-29-2009, 04:17 PM
I think Josh Johnson's ceiling is probably the David Garrard of 07. Not a QB that will single handedly win you games but a guy who can help a team with his feet and not make any bonehead decisions.

Beans
09-29-2009, 04:46 PM

While Johnson looked good that was garbage time and we gave away the short stuff as we sold out on preventing the quick score. Not trying to crush you're hope but just trying to put a little perspective on what he actually did.

no shut up

http://i38.tinypic.com/106hpv5.pngp

and thats all there is to it

ElectricEye
09-29-2009, 05:01 PM
I didn't really hear about the career backup story earlier this month, but reading it now, wow, what a dick move by Morris. Even if he said it with good intentions it still reveals an obvious Kansas State bias towards Freeman. Don't really like the guy very much after all that.

Babylon
09-29-2009, 05:07 PM
They showed what they thought of Johnson during this years draft. The natural pecking order is to put him in there and barring the team going 10-3 for the rest of the year Freeman starts out #1 going into next season. If Johnson shows he's starting material it will be somewhere else.

DJC
09-29-2009, 05:34 PM
I asked KII about him in his NFL chat today and he actually answered it first, this is what he said.

K_winslow_40x55_hs
Kellen Winslow, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Yeah, Josh is very talented. People know that. But he's very smart, and handles himself well, better than most second-year players would. He's ready.

I was:eek: when I saw he actually answered my ? since I never tried on one of these chats before

Babylon
09-29-2009, 05:36 PM
I asked KII about him in his NFL chat today and he actually answered it first, this is what he said.

I was:eek: when I saw he actually answered my ? since I never tried on one of these chats before

Kellen Winslow should spend more time practicing and less time in chat rooms.

NJX9isaH0M0
09-29-2009, 06:16 PM
This guy is going to be the Drew Brees of the Bucs. They drafted a QB in the 1st round when they already had one underneath their nose.

Hurricanes25
09-29-2009, 06:18 PM
This guy is going to be the Drew Brees of the Bucs. They drafted a QB in the 1st round when they already had one underneath their nose.

Yea, only if Josh Johnson was as good as Drew Brees. Good luck with that.

awfullyquiet
09-29-2009, 06:27 PM

No one predicted Drew Brees to be Drew Brees.

I don't think you can say that about Josh Johnson yet.

Hurricanes25
09-29-2009, 06:32 PM
No one predicted Drew Brees to be Drew Brees.

I don't think you can say that about Josh Johnson yet.

Thats fair but Brees had a better "resume" because he played for a BCS school and he won the Maxwell Award in college. He was also a 2nd round pick. Johnson played at the University of San Diego and doesn't have much of a track record.

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Thats fair but Brees had a better "resume" because he played for a BCS school and he won the Maxell Award in college. He was also a 2nd round pick. Johnson played at the University of San Diego and doesn't have much of a track record.

Don't forget Brees was also f'ing terrible his first few years in the league. JJ is wicked accurate with good mobility, I have thought his skills would translate to the NFL for a long time now.

Hurricanes25
09-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Dont get me wrong, I like Josh Johnson but Im not ready to call him the next Drew Brees.

ElectricEye
09-29-2009, 06:43 PM
I don't think we should call him anything more than a young talented quarterback until he proves he's anything more than that, but still, I've never heard a coach call a 23 year old kid a career backup. That's just astounding.

Hurricanes25
09-29-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't think we should call him anything more than a young talented quarterback until he proves he's anything more than that, but still, I've never heard a coach call a 23 year old kid a career backup.

That was just wrong. Raheem Morris is a moron.

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 06:44 PM
I don't think we should call him anything more than a young talented quarterback until he proves he's anything more than that, but still, I've never heard a coach call a 23 year old kid a career backup.

It's kind of a stretch to call Raheem Morris a head coach, all things considered.

Caddy
09-29-2009, 06:50 PM
It's kind of a stretch to call Raheem Morris a head coach, all things considered.

When the Bucs turn things around and go 13-3 you are all going to be sorry for saying things like this!

DJC
09-29-2009, 06:55 PM
For those that missed it, Raheem explained himself in his PC yesterday with the whole career back-up thing. He said he was misinterpreted. He made the comparison to Jason Garrett again, and then Steve Young too.

I guess yall would rather your coach straight up lie and say that his 1st round pick from this past year isn't going to be their franchise QB? I think it was pretty obvious to Johnson around the time we drafted Freeman where the organization stood with him.

SMH at all the hate Raheem is getting. He's not the problem right now.

And this is 100% the right move to make Josh Johnson the starting QB. He is the best QB on our roster and gives us the best chance to win right now.

awfullyquiet
09-29-2009, 06:58 PM

Really?
Really?

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 07:00 PM
When the Bucs turn things around and go 13-3 you are all going to be sorry for saying things like this!

If this happens it will be due to the guy he called a career backup, so he's kind of in a no win scenario here.

Hurricanes25
09-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Morris sure hell didn't make a good first impression.

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Josh Freeman is the next Drew Brees, Book on it.

Excellent, little mockery. Book on it I shall.

DJC
09-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Really?
Really?
Really

What has he done so terribly wrong? Get rid of players past their primes? Too honest to his players? Hold players accountable for their actions? Moves like this and getting rid of Jagz before the season give me faith in him as trying to do what's best for the team, short and long term.

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 07:14 PM
You will see what a great QB Josh Johnson is. Mobile, a strong arm. He may not star in Tampa, but he will go to another to be a star.

I am fully aboard the JJ train, your words are righteous.

ElectricEye
09-29-2009, 07:44 PM
I guess yall would rather your coach straight up lie and say that his 1st round pick from this past year isn't going to be their franchise QB? I think it was pretty obvious to Johnson around the time we drafted Freeman where the organization stood with him.

And this is 100% the right move to make Josh Johnson the starting QB. He is the best QB on our roster and gives us the best chance to win right now.

This isn't about Josh Freeman. None of it is. That's pretty clear. Everybody knows Tampa and, Raheem Morris in particular, wants him to be the guy. It's about Josh Johnson. It's just not right to straight up talk about a 23 year old kid who has potential being a "career backup" in his second year, no matter how much you dress it up after.

Raiderz4Life
09-29-2009, 08:03 PM
This isn't about Josh Freeman. None of it is. That's pretty clear. Everybody knows Tampa and, Raheem Morris in particular, wants him to be the guy. It's about Josh Johnson. It's just not right to straight up talk about a 23 year old kid who has potential being a "career backup" in his second year, no matter how much you dress it up after.

Quoted for being the honest truth

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-29-2009, 08:08 PM

Yeah, you never know what those kind of words from your HC can do to you. Josh might be gunshy now, afraid to make a mistake, or he might lose passion for the game all together with those kinds of words. I had a coach that did this when we were 16. Made over half the team quit and hate his guts.

locseti
09-29-2009, 10:47 PM
he's terrible, trade him to oakland for jamarcus+heyward bey.

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 10:49 PM
he's terrible, trade him to oakland for jamarcus+heyward bey.

Is the heyward bey experiment over already?

locseti
09-29-2009, 11:10 PM

louis murphy>>>>>>>beyward hey

Raiderz4Life
09-30-2009, 01:45 AM

that **** was over the minute the Raiders took him over Maclin...hell Britt and Nicks would have been more justifiable

BBIB
09-30-2009, 02:48 PM
So Johnson must be the filler until the Bucs feel like throwing Freeman into the fire, right? Freeman wasn't super polished coming out of Kansas State, but Johnson was super raw coming out of San Diego and as previously mentioned, he hasn't exactly earned much praise from his coaches.

Complete opposite is true. Johnson has played so well it's forced them to keep him on the final roster. And it's finally forced their hand into giving the kid a shot as a starter.

He was never their guy. He was the guy of the old regime. But they couldn't overlook what he did with the minimal reps he did have in practice.

How will he perform against actual NFL starters when the best defense he's faced has been in garbage time? I have no idea.

But if there is any QB on that team that gives them a chance to compete it's Johnson. His mobility alone will help out that team. And Im not so sure he's not already a much better passer than Leftwich

awfullyquiet
09-30-2009, 04:39 PM

Well. Considering Morris learned everything he knew playing madden.

HEY GUISE. LETS START LEFTWICH ITS 8 POINTS BETTER THAN JJ. SUPER EFFECTIVE.

and fwiw. Derrick Brooks isn't bad. normally you cut awful people to make room for... better talent. besides ruud. what else really is there that's so much better than brooks?

CC.SD
09-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Well. Considering Morris learned everything he knew playing madden.

HEY GUISE. LETS START LEFTWICH ITS 8 POINTS BETTER THAN JJ. SUPER EFFECTIVE.

and fwiw. Derrick Brooks isn't bad. normally you cut awful people to make room for... better talent. besides ruud. what else really is there that's so much better than brooks?

The contract was the big excuse for Derrick Brooks, but it's now apparent they could have brought him back for nothing and chose not to. Sometimes guys are just done but I saw 55 making some plays last year.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-04-2009, 07:11 PM

I'd put money down that Josh Freeman wont be the next Philip Rivers either, so the comparison could still work out from a talent drop perspective

Addict
10-04-2009, 07:39 PM
I liked Josh Johnson coming out, how did he look, in spite of losing his first start?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-04-2009, 07:40 PM
I liked Josh Johnson coming out, how did he look, in spite of losing his first start?

Didn't look great, not too bad either. He looked like a kid who was making his first NFL start. A bit raw, a little scared to throw downfield, but made some decent plays and looks to have some potential.

Addict
10-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Didn't look great, not too bad either. He looked like a kid who was making his first NFL start. A bit raw, a little scared to throw downfield, but made some decent plays and looks to have some potential.

excellent. I really liked him coming out. Isn't he from the same college as Kevin O'Connell from the Patriots? San Jose State or something like that? (I'm too lazy and too tired to wiki)

Go_Eagles77
10-04-2009, 07:55 PM
excellent. I really liked him coming out. Isn't he from the same college as Kevin O'Connell from the Patriots? San Jose State or something like that? (I'm too lazy and too tired to wiki)
I think Josh Johnson went to San Diego and Kevin O'Connell went to San Diego State.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Yeah Josh Johnson went to San Diego, d-1AA I think.

Staubach12
10-04-2009, 08:37 PM
I guess yall would rather your coach straight up lie and say that his 1st round pick from this past year isn't going to be their franchise QB?

We've seen time after time that simply handing a boom-or-bust type project a franchise is stupid. QBs need to compete and develop naturally, and it's not a good idea to just declare a late first round project your future.

M.O.T.H.
10-04-2009, 11:49 PM
Taking Bryant was a mistake in fantasy this year. bleh.

It's nice to see Johnson getting some time in there. He wasnt too hot but, I'm hopeful.