PDA

View Full Version : Week 4: Baltimore @ New England

coordinator0
09-29-2009, 10:05 AM
I thought I'd start this one a little early since there has been a lot of discussion about it in other threads. The Ravens go into New England at 3-0 while the Patriots sit at 2-1. Each team is coming off of a commanding win, and it should be a great game.

I don't have any predictions right now, but i think it'll either be a close defensive battle or a shootout (I know, two completely opposite things).

Hines
09-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Should be a high scoring game. If Brady is the Brady of old, I think the Patriots will win, especially if Welker is playing. If Brady struggles more, Ravens will win. Good game nonetheless.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
09-29-2009, 12:32 PM
I think we win this game by playing solid defense and holding the Pats to FG's while McGahee just runs loose in the redzone and gets 2 more TD's for the season

BmoreBlackByrdz
09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Here's my breakdown

Ravens Offensive vs. Patriots Defense -
Ravens offensive line has looked amazing thus far. Undoubtedly top 5, whereas the Pat's d-line is not what it used to be. They lost Seymour and Wilfork is hurt. (they just signed Terdell Sands) So I do think the Ravens will win the battle in the trenches when they have the ball. I think McGahee and Rice should both have a good game especially with Mayo out. As for Flacco, I have no idea how New England's pass defense has looked this season but I expect Flacco to probably see the best secondary thus far in the season. Cleveland, San Diego and KC were all crap.
EDGE - Ravens - They will dominate upfront, which will lead to a very effective run game

Patriots Offense vs. Baltimore Defense
I think that Randy Moss is going to have a field day on Sunday. He is just way too tall and fast for Foxworth. Both the Ravens corners struggled with taller WR's in San Diego so I think the same will happen with Moss. As for Welker, I think he'll be just as dangerous as Darren Sproles. He's small and very fast. Ravens defense usually has trouble with guys like him. (see Sproles & Chris Johnson) I doubt the Patriots will even try to establish a run game cause I HIGHLY doubt that will work. If they come out passing, I think they can definitively have a field day against the Ravens secondary, mainly because of Randy Moss.
EDGE - Patriots

Ravens O-line vs. Pats D-line - Ravens

Ravens Run Game vs. Pats front 7 - Ravens

Ravens Pass game vs. Pats secondary - Tie

Patriots O-line vs. Ravens D-line - Ravens

Patriots Run Game vs. Ravens front 7 - Ravens

Patriots Pass game vs. Ravens secondary - Patriots

TACKLE
09-29-2009, 08:25 PM
This game all hinges on Brady's performance. There is a chance that he could pick apart the secondary that has been suspect this season. Though, the redzone D has been very strong and if they can make them kick FG's, that will be huge. Also Moss scares me. He's due for a breakout game and there's not a CB on the roster who can cover him. Offensively, I have confidence that they'll be able to move the ball against the Pats D. The run game will be key to eat the clock and keep Brady and Moss off the field.

I'll make my pick later in the week.

EdReedUnstoppable
09-29-2009, 10:38 PM
I think the Patriots win this 1 easily.....

Patriots 34
Ravens 17

I have no good feelings about this game at all.

dcarey20
09-29-2009, 10:43 PM
I think this can go either way, I feel good about our chances though.

America
09-29-2009, 10:53 PM
We need to put a ton of pressure on Brady. Their line can be beaten, especially if our guys are pinning their ears back. I think our ability to run the ball will be a huge advantage, keeping our D fresh and off the field. But it's too close to call. Mayo out and Wilfork hurt is huge, I just don't know what to expect from their offense.

mikedoobie
09-29-2009, 11:32 PM
As long as we can get pressure on Brady then we can win this game. Mattison better not be conservative this sunday he has to throw out every blitz he has in the playbook for us to win. On offense we have an edge and should just try and keep the ball and rack up the time clock.

BmoreBlackByrdz
09-30-2009, 05:12 AM
As long as we can get pressure on Brady then we can win this game. Mattison better not be conservative this sunday he has to throw out every blitz he has in the playbook for us to win. On offense we have an edge and should just try and keep the ball and rack up the time clock.

110% agree with this. Thus far, I have not seen Mattison blitz much at all. I think Rex Ryan blitzed more than him all season in just one game. Mattison better wake up and watch that Jets vs. Patriots game.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
09-30-2009, 08:28 AM
I love how ERU is all negative again. I guess since Dwill isn't playing we have no chance ahahahahahah(yes I laugh at my own jokes). We really need to come up with some creative blitzes to get after Brady. I think we will put up 20+ points so we need to just keep the Pats under that

dcarey20
09-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Ravens 27
Patriots 20

EdReedUnstoppable
09-30-2009, 11:59 AM
I love how ERU is all negative again. I guess since Dwill isn't playing we have no chance ahahahahahah(yes I laugh at my own jokes). We really need to come up with some creative blitzes to get after Brady. I think we will put up 20+ points so we need to just keep the Pats under that

What the **** are you talkin about? Ive picked us to 2 win half the time this year, I don't feel good about this game. Im sorry I hurt your feelings by calling out your boy Kruger and how worthless he is, but I dont see your point.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
09-30-2009, 12:18 PM
What the **** are you talkin about? Ive picked us to 2 win half the time this year, I don't feel good about this game. Im sorry I hurt your feelings by calling out your boy Kruger and how worthless he is, but I dont see your point.

You said the Pats win easily. Sorry but teams don't beat us easily. There is nothing wrong with you feeling bad about this game but it will be a battle and nothing will come easy. Kruger really isn't my boy. I didn't even know who he was when we got him. I started to like him because he did very good in the preseason. You are hoping that he fails so you are right about him where I want anyone and everyone on my team to succeed. I just don't like how you are saying we have no chance to win this game. We have a chance to win every game.

EdReedUnstoppable
09-30-2009, 01:43 PM
You said the Pats win easily. Sorry but teams don't beat us easily. There is nothing wrong with you feeling bad about this game but it will be a battle and nothing will come easy. Kruger really isn't my boy. I didn't even know who he was when we got him. I started to like him because he did very good in the preseason. You are hoping that he fails so you are right about him where I want anyone and everyone on my team to succeed. I just don't like how you are saying we have no chance to win this game. We have a chance to win every game.

Colts last year, Giants last year, Steelers in the playoffs last year all beat us easily. Now before you say last year is last year and this is a different team this year, yes against subpar opponents we can dominate them and thats good. This is our first big test and I dont like it, on the road, with Moss and possibly Wleker back, and with their defense playing very well.

I don't have to hope that Kruger fails, he is doin fine failing on his own without me hoping he fails. Once again you are wrong about me, I wish he would contribute something to this team because we need help rushing the passer. Unfortunately he provides no real threat to rush the passer at the NFL level. And Im not saying we have no chance its the NFL every team has a chance in every game. My personal feeling on this game is a huge let down game from our boys. HOPEFULLY Im wrong.

BmoreBlackByrdz
09-30-2009, 01:55 PM
How exactly is it a HUGE letdown? Don't get me wrong, I know there's a big chance of losing, but cmon, the Pats have been playing like a subpar team at the best. Brady's off target, lots of injuries and losses on there defense, and remember, they won't be able to run the ball against Baltimore. (unlike ATL) It's going to be a hard game for the Pats to win, so I can't see why you think its gonna be a blowout, especially with how well Flacco and the Offense is doing.

PalmerToCJ
09-30-2009, 02:10 PM
I'd say it's a coin flip.

Depends on how much you D can get in the face of Brady. I'm all but certain they won't be able to run the ball.

I'm expecting a close game with scoring in the high teens - low twenties.

FlyingElvis
09-30-2009, 02:28 PM
The Ravens passing game is overachieving against terrible pass Ds so far so it should be a return to real life this weekend in that respect. The Pats have been very good at taking WRs out of the game but I doubt that makes much difference in a game where the Ravens should have great success on the ground.

Pats Oline is weak and that's likely to be the difference this week. The run game is not likely to do much this week but a few early attempts downfield could help. If Welker is out again we lose our top anti-blitz weapon and it could be a long day.

I, too, see a low scoring game with a total under 40. 20 - 16, maybe? I'll give the edge to NE if Welker plays, otherwise it's a Ravens win.

Voting Pats on principal. ;)

coordinator0
09-30-2009, 04:34 PM
I was wondering if Welker was going to play. Is there any update on him?

Hines
09-30-2009, 04:43 PM

I am sure he is going to.

no bare feet
10-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Ngata is the most amazing human being alive. Go Ravens!

FlyingElvis
10-01-2009, 02:29 PM

No updates that have any meaning. He's had "limited participation in practice" and that's the same as last week. He will likely be a gameday decision again.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
10-01-2009, 02:41 PM
The Patriots aren't dumb they won't let anyone know until Sunday. I remember Tom Brady was listed as probable all year one year.

niel89
10-02-2009, 01:33 AM
Personally im more worried when ERU is optimistic about our chances :D lol

I think that out of 10 games Patriots win 6 of them. Really close chances.

I think that if we can get Brady off his game and not give him a lot of time to set up then he will get frustrated and maybe give up a turnover or two. If he has Welker back then that would be a major boost for him.

I think that our passing game is going to take a step back, but Flacco throwing for over 300 wont be the norm anyways. We don't have to be airing it out all day to be successful. We are still a running team at heart. All the passing game needs to do is to complement the running game. Look to use Mason and Heap to pick up 1st downs and keep the offense rolling. Take a few deep shots just to keep the defense honest. I just don't want to have to have Flacco win us the game.

The defense is really concerning to me. They don't seem as strong as before. Im more worried by the defense then the offense frankly. Sure we got a lot of turnovers last week, but the Browns are garbage and we all know it. We still get beat by the big play, and I think that Tom Brady will take advantage of that. We are great at stopping the run but we just aren't generating enough pressure. Just rushing four as we are isn't enough. We need more blitzes. I think that we are still a top defense and that Mattison is a good DC but I personally miss Rex and the schemes that he used to generate pressure. There was just a level of creativity that isnt present anymore.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
10-02-2009, 06:24 AM
I agree about the blitzes. We need to be more creative and send 7 guys

Ravens1991
10-03-2009, 11:30 AM
I think it will be a real close game, if we can make the proper adjustments on defense and our offense stays the same I think we can take NEW out

Hines
10-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Personally im more worried when ERU is optimistic about our chances :D lol

I think that out of 10 games Patriots win 6 of them. Really close chances.

I think that if we can get Brady off his game and not give him a lot of time to set up then he will get frustrated and maybe give up a turnover or two. If he has Welker back then that would be a major boost for him.

I think that our passing game is going to take a step back, but Flacco throwing for over 300 wont be the norm anyways. We don't have to be airing it out all day to be successful. We are still a running team at heart. All the passing game needs to do is to complement the running game. Look to use Mason and Heap to pick up 1st downs and keep the offense rolling. Take a few deep shots just to keep the defense honest. I just don't want to have to have Flacco win us the game.

The defense is really concerning to me. They don't seem as strong as before. Im more worried by the defense then the offense frankly. Sure we got a lot of turnovers last week, but the Browns are garbage and we all know it. We still get beat by the big play, and I think that Tom Brady will take advantage of that. We are great at stopping the run but we just aren't generating enough pressure. Just rushing four as we are isn't enough. We need more blitzes. I think that we are still a top defense and that Mattison is a good DC but I personally miss Rex and the schemes that he used to generate pressure. There was just a level of creativity that isnt present anymore.

I pretty much said the same thing and I got told I was wrong.

EvilNixon
10-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Pats defense is really underrated. I think they can slow down the running game of the Ravens and hopefully cover those receivers. If Brady finally starts shaking off the rust, then I don't see how the Ravens can stop them.

coordinator0
10-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Pats defense is really underrated. I think they can slow down the running game of the Ravens and hopefully cover those receivers. If Brady finally starts shaking off the rust, then I don't see how the Ravens can stop them.

The same can be said about the Ravens defense. If the secondary finally get's working right, I don't see how the Patriots can move the ball on them. I guess it all falls to who get's it going, Brady or the Ravens secondary.

BmoreBlackByrdz
10-04-2009, 02:41 PM
God I hate Greg Mattison. And god bless Jared Gaither, think he'll be fine but he's definetly out for the season. :(

coordinator0
10-04-2009, 02:52 PM
I don't think Mattison is all that bad. We just need a corner that can cover, outside of Foxworth. He's a good number 2 but not a 1.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-04-2009, 03:30 PM
fck Mark Clayton. Cut his bum ass he's never done anything in his career. Again though the thing holding back this offense is that lack of a big receiver who can box out his man and catch a slant.

Don Vito
10-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Great game, that was yours but Clayton duffed it. Flacco is the absolute truth. Hopefully Gaither is OK, that was very scary.

TACKLE
10-04-2009, 03:34 PM
**** Mark Clayton. Easy catch. Right there. Just make the damn catch.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Clayton's always been a body catcher though so it's not some freak play. He'll drop that 5 times out of 10 simply because he can't catch a ball with his hands in traffic. I mean look at that corner fade in the endzone, perfect throw over perfect coverage yet it managed to just bounce off his chest.

BmoreBlackByrdz
10-04-2009, 04:00 PM
yeah, they lobbed it up to Clayton twice and they were both catchable, but I'll give THOSE TWO away, since the defenders had great coverage, but on the last play of the game, GOD ******* DAMNIT!! CATCH IT!!! Flacco put it RIGHT THERE, and he got scared of the defender and moved a bit to the right which caused him to drop it. ******* scared POS. God the Ravens need a playmaker at WR so badly.

Oh, and WTF Greg Mattison, he sends like 1 blitz every 10000000 plays, and once the Pat's are in the redzone, he then decides its time to blitz??? He double covered Moss the whole game, and once Moss gets in the area he is most effective in, Mattison puts him one on one with a 5-11 Foxworth and sends 8 on a blitz. ******* IDIOT!
I feel like the defense is slacking a bit because the Raven offense is so much better than years past. They are giving up so many short passes, screens, and some big plays here and there as well. Seems like there on the field WAY TO MUCH. Kinda wish the Ravens ran it more to keep the D off.
God, I'm pissed, but 1 thing I saw that I loved from this game was the 4th quarter performance by Joe Flacco, he was calm, cool, and poised. If Clayton hadn't dropped the ball, they'd probably have won the game. Joe Flacco is the real deal and I'm glad we finally have a QB in Baltimore!!

Ravens1991
10-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I agree Mattison sucks, I thought I was going to kill someone every single play a S or a LB was covering Welker is was ridiculous.

also the offensive play calling was ****** as well for some parts. No LeRon McClain on 4th and 1. The whole world knew we were going to run because McGahee was in.

Also the refs were horrible if you were going to call that penalty on Carr then you could have called it twice on the final drive. once on 3rd down to Mason before the ******* horrendous clayton drop, and the lob to Clayton that was put perfectly in the air by Flacco.

TACKLE
10-04-2009, 05:48 PM
On a positive note, Ellerbe looked really good today.

Ravens1991
10-04-2009, 05:50 PM
yes he is a beast I was calling for him for a while. Also on a postive note at least we know Flacco can lead 4th quarter drives.

mikedoobie
10-04-2009, 05:52 PM
very pissed with the outcome of the game and to be honest we didnt play all that good and we just kinda hung in there.
What i took away is the ravens defense has been slacking but not because of it playing bad we just need to RUN the ball more. Ray Rice was getting easy 5-10 yard carries all game. honestly we should of rode him a full drive or two and really got the run game going and kept the patriots offense off the field. As great as Flacco is and performs Cam Cameron is going pass happy, especially against a team whose offense you try and keep off the field.
I just wanna see us run the ball more consistantly so that on defense we can be more aggressive, by putting more pressure on opposing offenses to make plays

Ravens1991
10-04-2009, 05:53 PM
yea Rice was having a great game he should have gotten the ball more often.

A Perfect Score
10-04-2009, 06:11 PM
Rice averaged 9.2 YPC today. Give that man the damn ball.

Anyways, disappointing loss, and we really do need to trade for a Brandon Marshall or Anquan Boldin, or draft a nice big physical receiver like that kid from Minnesota, cant remember his name right now. Imagine what Flacco could do with a legit number 1 receiver.

EdReedUnstoppable
10-04-2009, 06:18 PM
Demetrius Williams > Mark Clayton!!!!

D Will needs to be the #2 WR of this team!!!!!

Oh and Chris Carr absolutely awful player, not an upgrade at all in any facit of the game. I'll take Figurs over him anyday returning, and this is sad sad sad statement I thought I'd never make......I'd rather have Frank Walker at nickelback then Carr.

Nice to see Paul Kruger actually be active for once.

Ellerbe looked ok at times, and he looked severely lost at times as a rookie will especially on the road against that offense.

God please let Jared Gaither not miss any games.

Ravens1991
10-04-2009, 06:18 PM
yea I agree it is obvious more then ever we need to get Flacco legit WRs. Seriously any WR in NFL and college should catch that pass. #5 WR walk on at some 0-10 ****** d3 program should catch that pass.

Ravens1991
10-04-2009, 06:20 PM
[QUOTE=EdReedUnstoppable;1822003]Demetrius Williams > Mark Clayton!!!!

Oh and Chris Carr absolutely awful player, not an upgrade at all in any facit of the game. I'll take Figurs over him anyday returning, and this is sad sad sad statement I thought I'd never make......I'd rather have Frank Walker at nickelback then Carr.

QUOTE]

I think Washington should be #2, but I agree Dwill needs to get some playing time.

Also Carr is complete **** at returning, I wonder if we have some returnnig coach thats a idiot but because Figures looked good his rookie year then sucked last year. Carr was a good returner at TEN but now he looks horrible as well. At least Figures has elite NFL speed something Carr doesnt.

EdReedUnstoppable
10-04-2009, 06:21 PM
If I was Keyshawn Johnson I'd say "Hey Derrick Mason **** YOU! Now do you see what I meant Mark Clayton = BUM!"

Mark Clayton is Travis Taylor, 1 good game followed by several horrible games.

Ravens1991
10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
that is true, well at least Taylor would get the ball thrown to him after a good game, Clayton will usually become invisible and get the ball thrown at him twice after a good game.

EdReedUnstoppable
10-04-2009, 06:23 PM
I think Washington should be #2, but I agree Dwill needs to get some playing time.

Also Carr is complete **** at returning, I wonder if we have some returnnig coach thats a idiot but because Figures looked good his rookie year then sucked last year. Carr was a good returner at TEN but now he looks horrible as well. At least Figures has elite NFL speed something Carr doesnt.

I think Washington is in a perfect position in the slot though, thats why I wouldn't move him. Right now he is facing Nickel's which he is too physical for, or safeties and linebackers which he is a step too fast for. D Will is a perfect #2 compliment to Mason on the other side IMO. But to have Derrick Mason and his clone with arms that end at the wrist on the other side is unacceptable.

EdReedUnstoppable
10-04-2009, 06:24 PM
that is true, well at least Taylor would get the ball thrown to him after a good game, Clayton will usually become invisible and get the ball thrown at him twice after a good game.

100% truth!

Ravens1991
10-04-2009, 06:27 PM
I agree I never really been a fan of having mason then a carbon copy of him(except a lot worse) across from him. but now its obvious we need a change.

Ravens1991
10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
Also Clayton was in that big miscommunication inside 2 minutes in the 1st half. if it wasnt for that screw up as well we could have got a TD or a FG.

coordinator0
10-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Demetrius Williams > Mark Clayton!!!!

Nice to see Paul Kruger actually be active for once.

Ellerbe looked ok at times, and he looked severely lost at times as a rookie will especially on the road against that offense.

God please let Jared Gaither not miss any games.

!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Say it ain't so!

Actually, I'd rather have Webb over both of them.

EdReedUnstoppable
10-05-2009, 12:52 AM
!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Say it ain't so!

Actually, I'd rather have Webb over both of them.

True but for some reason John Harbaugh wants to do everything he can to keep Webb from playing defense for us.

Chris Carr is the biggest waste of money ever!!! But the genious did hand pick him so....

Ravens1991
10-05-2009, 10:24 AM
I agree Carr shouldnt be nickelback, I think he could be a nice #4, I dont get it that Webb isnt playing yet, I think Webb can be very good to bad I dont think he got a play in on defense

trkaline
10-05-2009, 10:52 AM
5 Thoughts on this game....
1.Flacco is the QB we've been searching for.
2.We need to ******* run the ball more.
3.Do not throw the ball to Clayton when the game is on the line.
4.We sacked T-Bizzle twice, need to keep the pressure on for 4 quarters though.
5.The defense needs to buckle down across the board, including the rush defense. We gave up more yards to the Patriots horrid rush offense then we should have, while they didn't quite run all over us we gave up yards on 3rd downs and in critical situations which we can not do and expect to win games against the other power houses in this league.

barreh
10-05-2009, 10:56 AM
4.We sacked T-Bizzle twice, need to keep the pressure on for 4 quarters though. we actually sacked him 3 times.

dcarey20
10-05-2009, 11:19 AM
True but for some reason John Harbaugh wants to do everything he can to keep Webb from playing defense for us.

Chris Carr is the biggest waste of money ever!!! But the genious did hand pick him so....

I supported Carr early on but he has been a god awful acquisition I completely agree with you now...

coordinator0
10-05-2009, 11:41 AM
I supported Carr early on but he has been a god awful acquisition I completely agree with you now...

Yep I'm starting to lean that ways too. Carr had a nice return later in the game when he got a chance.

Hines
10-05-2009, 11:52 AM
I am glad that you guys took Carr instead of the Steelers now.

America
10-05-2009, 01:08 PM
We left the run way too early in the game. If we had gotten our D more rest, I think we could have played a much better game. Did McClain even have a carry? Our backs are much better than the wide outs. I don't trust anyone else but Mason to make a play.

BmoreBlackByrdz
10-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I feel like they did abandon the run early, but remember, thanks to Chris Carr, the offense was trailing the whole game.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
10-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Yea they probably felt like they needed to score all game and passed it. I just thought how well Rice was running we should of ran it at least another 7-8 times.

America
10-05-2009, 09:45 PM
http://www.patsfans.com/ian/blog/2009/10/05/video-terrell-suggs-should-be-fined/

I think this guy has a point...