PDA

View Full Version : New Coaches for 2010

Captain Canuck
09-29-2009, 02:49 PM
I know its really early, but I'm always interested in which guys will be looked at as new coaches for next season. I'm thinking popular choices at this time would be Leslie Frazier, Jeff Davidson, Russ Grimm, and Brian Schottenheimer. What other names do you think will surface when it comes that time. Obviously Cowher, Marty, Shanny, and Holmgren will always be in discussion.

Babylon
09-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Some high profile guys there. I think in the end there will be enough money thrown around for a Holmgren or a Shanahan to end up in D.C. (not till the end of the year) and i think Cowher will probably end up in Cleveland or maybe Jacksonville.

Thecollegedropout
09-29-2009, 04:16 PM
I have pity on whatever team wants to make Brian Scottenheimer head coach....

Maybe this can be the year Kirk Ferentz can get the love(Especially if for some reason Haley is ousted in a bizarre move?)

Hurricanes25
09-29-2009, 04:19 PM
I wouldn't be suprised to see Cowher end up in Carolina if they get rid of Fox.
I can see Shanahan in either Washington or Dallas.
I can see Holmgrem in San Diego if they get rid or Norv.
As for first time head coaches, I think Leslie Frazier and Brian Schottenheimer will get an opportunity to coach somewhere.

WMD
09-29-2009, 04:53 PM
Jason Garrett, Ron Rivera, Russ Grimm, Leslie Frazier

BlindSite
09-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Jeff Davidson has a solid Pedigree, Belichick and Fox is where he's learned his craft, two solid coaches right there.

TACKLE
09-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Anyone think Marty Schottenheimer will eve make a comeback? If its me and I have a team with a Top 5 pick, there aren't many available coaches I'd rather have to turn my team around.

Also, I'd like to see Brian Billick make a comeback. Kyle Boller single-handedly ended his career as an NFL head coach.

Brothgar
09-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Maybe Todd Bowles. If Bill Parcells leaves Miami and gets another president gig. Todd Bowles might be on the short list.

Hines
09-29-2009, 05:27 PM
I never, EVER want to see Cowher be a Head Coach for any other team for as long as I or he is alive. Especially if we end up playing him.

PoopSandwich
09-29-2009, 05:28 PM
Browns really need to fire Mangini and give control of this organization to someone who is proven, I would prefer if we hired Brian Billick or something along those lines... Someone who has helped build and stabilize a team and take them to or win a super bowl.

Mangini is like a high school principal... He may even be worse than that.

JFLO
09-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Leslie Frazier will be a head coach within the next 2-3 years.

Personally, I would want to see what he does another couple years before I hire him because he inherited a really good team from when Mike Tomlin was DC in Minnesota.

iowatreat54
09-29-2009, 06:06 PM
I have pity on whatever team wants to make Brian Scottenheimer head coach....

Maybe this can be the year Kirk Ferentz can get the love(Especially if for some reason Haley is ousted in a bizarre move?)

Yea, not likely to happen considering his son is a sophomore on the Hawks and he has another son that is a junior or senior in HS that is prolly going to play for him.

ToldLikeItIs
09-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Steven is a Sophomore. Kirk is signed through 2015.

tjsunstein
09-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Steven is a Sophomore. Kirk is signed through 2015.

I'm amazed how you track down everything related to Iowa in every part of these forums.

I'm interested to see if Winston Moss draws some interest from teams after the Rams interviewed him last offseason.

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Anyone think Marty Schottenheimer will eve make a comeback? If its me and I have a team with a Top 5 pick, there aren't many available coaches I'd rather have to turn my team around.

Also, I'd like to see Brian Billick make a comeback. Kyle Boller single-handedly ended his career as an NFL head coach.

I'm pretty sure Marty is done, but I would like to hear him shout about the gleam once more. Maybe the Browns will give him another shot.

DeepThreat
09-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Marty has said that he is done coaching, but has interest in a front office gig.

I'm still not ready to give up on Mangini.

vidae
09-29-2009, 09:46 PM

I was really hoping he was going to be our coach instead of Haley. He has history here in KC and I think the fans would welcome him back with open arms. I'm not sure how long Haley is going to last in KC if most of the rumors are true. I'd love him as an OC though, but I really would have preferred someone else for the HC job.

CC.SD
09-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Marty has said that he is done coaching, but has interest in a front office gig.

I'm still not ready to give up on Mangini.

Marty in the FO is a bad idea. He hates rookies. He hates quarterbacks.

steel man
09-29-2009, 11:34 PM
i think you will end up seeing Cowher in Carolina and if Dallas does not do good then i think you will see Shanahan there.

Shiver
09-29-2009, 11:38 PM
I think Ron Rivera has a good chance, he arguably should have gotten a job the last time he was a candidate. Now he has experience in 4-3 blitzing, cover-2, 3-4 defense, and has had success everywhere.

vikes_28
09-29-2009, 11:41 PM
I really really really hope that Childress gets fired and Frazier gets the head coach job in Minny.

Paranoidmoonduck
09-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Assuming Cable gets canned (he will, barring some massive turnaround), Oakland is probably going to hire from the college ranks. I guess I'd put Pat Hill's name at the top of that list, but I'm not sure he's stupid enough to take the job.

Mr.Regular
09-29-2009, 11:59 PM
Some big names out there. Like huge names. I can't believe guys like Mangini, Zorn, and Cable are head coaches when Marty, Holmgren, Shanahan, Cowher, and Gruden aren't.

Id be betting on Holmgren/Shanahan taking over a combo of Dallas/ Washington. And if Cowher comes back I see him in Carolina. I don't see Marty returning and obviously Gruden seems to be doing well with his new gig.

NIN1984
09-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Assuming Cable gets canned (he will, barring some massive turnaround), Oakland is probably going to hire from the college ranks. I guess I'd put Pat Hill's name at the top of that list, but I'm not sure he's stupid enough to take the job.

Al was going to hire Kevin Gilbride last year. Gilbride is aware he probably won't ever get another head coaching job so he will at least consider taking the job with the Raiders, lucky us.

all these great coaches and we get Gilbride or Jim Fassel... Can't wait

fenikz
09-30-2009, 01:31 AM
Russ Grimm hasn't improved our o-line at all

djp
09-30-2009, 06:14 AM
Leslie Frazier is definitely gone from the Vikings after this year. Teams are going to love his mixture of Dungy's Tampa 2 and Jim Johnson's blitz schemes.

Other assistant that looks to be a lock is Kevin Gilbride from the Giants

LizardState
09-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Cowher is leaning toward his home state of NC, either the Panthers if they fire Fox or his alma mater NC St. He still owns his retirement home there.

I can see Snyder throwing so many mega-millions at Holmgren he will come out of retirement to take over the Skins. Sad & ironic he can't go home to SF where he's wanted to coach since he was a Walsh asst. I think both Jason Campbell & Zorn are done in DC after this yr.

paranoidmoonduck's rumor about Gilbride to the Raiders was common in the Bay Area, if given a free hand with revamping the offense after Russell is officially labeled a bust he could take it.

The Raiders job has strangely become only the 2nd least desirable NFL HC position, whoever takes over the mess Mangini leaves in Cleveland, God help him, it might be the last job filled.

Still not drinking the Shanahan to Dallas KoolAid .... yet. The majority of Dallas fans aren't either. The flip side of that argument is that Phillips is just a placeholder for the one Jerry Jones wants, Jeff Fisher, Bud Adams has gone to great pains to reupp him & lock him up in Tennessee so it ain't happening. The one constant in this Dallas equation is that Phillips is on notice to turn the team around or else. Best guess: Phillips is wk. to wk, a blowout loss & the consequential Jerry embarrassment will send him cleaning out his desk. After Jason Garrett's mind-numbing dumbass playcalling in the red zone Monday night I don't think he would be more than an interim HC in that case

Leon Sandcastle
10-04-2009, 10:54 PM
Russ Grimm, Leslie Frazier, Bill Sheridan, Sean McDermott, Hue Jackson, Todd Bowles, Jeff Davidson, Brian Schottenheimer, Kyle Shannahan, John Harbaugh, Turner Gill, Kirk Ferentz.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-04-2009, 10:57 PM
i really hope someone hires jeff "i have deangelo williams and jonathan stewart so im going to pass 30 times a game with jake delhomme" davidson off the panthers

aNYtitan
10-04-2009, 11:36 PM
What is the probability Tony Dungy returns to coaching? Never in infinity? 99.9 % no?

Thumper
10-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Of course you've got Leslie Frazier, Holmgren, Shanny and Cowher but these guys are little less well known.

Winston Moss (Packers LB Coach/ Asssistant Head Coach)
Kyle Shanahan (Texans Offensive Coordinator)
Todd Bowles (Miami's Secondary Coach/ Assistant Head Coach)
Bruce Arians (Steelers offensive coordinator)
Mike Mularky (Falcons offensive coordinator)
Pat Flaherty (Giants offensive line coach)

And a little further in the future:

Casey Bradley (Seahawks defensive coordinator)- Young, fiery defensive mind who learned from Monte Kiffin and helped develop Rudd
Ron Rivera (Chargers defensive coordinator)- Won't get a call this year because the Chargers defense isn't playing well
Hue Jackson (Ravens QB coach and former Bengals WR Coach)- Credited with developing Flacco for Baltimore and Housh and Chad Johnson for the Bengals while helping develop Carson Palmer.
Pat Shurmer (Rams offensive coordinator and former Eagles QB coach for 11 years)- Developed McNabb, Kolb and helped with the success of Garcia and Feeley.
Sean McDermott (Eagles defensive coordinator)- Brilliant young defensive mind, and those aren't coordinators for very long. He was actually offered 2 defensive coordinator jobs and a head coaching job already.

Also, does anyone else get the feeling that Holmgren is going to be a GM, not a coach? And if you need a GM, Eagles GM Tom Heckert has been getting calls for a while now and was actually offered the Browns GM spot, but he declined.

Mr. Stiller
10-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Of course you've got Leslie Frazier, Holmgren, Shanny and Cowher but these guys are little less well known.

Winston Moss (Packers LB Coach/ Asssistant Head Coach)
Kyle Shanahan (Texans Offensive Coordinator)
Todd Bowles (Miami's Secondary Coach/ Assistant Head Coach)
Bruce Arians (Steelers offensive coordinator)
Mike Mularky (Falcons offensive coordinator)
Pat Flaherty (Giants offensive line coach)

And a little further in the future:

Casey Bradley (Seahawks defensive coordinator)- Young, fiery defensive mind who learned from Monte Kiffin and helped develop Rudd
Ron Rivera (Chargers defensive coordinator)- Won't get a call this year because the Chargers defense isn't playing well
Hue Jackson (Ravens QB coach and former Steelers QB Coach)- Credited with developing Flacco and Big Ben.
Pat Shurmer (Rams offensive coordinator and former Eagles QB coach for 11 years)- Developed McNabb, Kolb and helped with the success of Garcia and Feeley.
Sean McDermott (Eagles defensive coordinator)- Brilliant young defensive mind, and those aren't coordinators for very long. He was actually offered 2 defensive coordinator jobs and a head coaching job already.

Also, does anyone else get the feeling that Holmgren is going to be a GM, not a coach? And if you need a GM, Eagles GM Tom Heckert has been getting calls for a while now and was actually offered the Browns GM spot, but he declined.

Hue Jackson?

Mark Whipple Was Ben's QB Coach during Cowhers Tenure and once Tomlin took over it's been Ken Anderson since.

Hue Jackson never even Coached in Pittsburgh...

Team(s) as a coach/administrator
2001-2002

2004-2006

2008-present Washington Redskins
(Running Backs Coach)
Washington Redskins
(Offensive Coordinator)
(Running Backs Coach)
Cincinnati Bengals
(Wide Receivers Coach)
Atlanta Falcons
(Offensive Coordinator)
Baltimore Ravens
(Quarterbacks Coach)

Thumper
10-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Sorry I got that mixed up, I knew it was a AFC North team. I meant to say he helped develop Carson Palmer and directly developed Chad Ochocinco.

Mr. Stiller
10-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Sorry I got that mixed up, I knew it was a AFC North team. I meant to say he helped develop Carson Palmer and directly developed Chad Ochocinco.

:)

I'd say he had more impact in being credited with the guy that found TJ Houshmanzadeh and worked with him to become an impact WR.