PDA

View Full Version : Almost 1st Qtr. of the Season Awards

LizardState
09-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Pls. nominate your own choices in the thread.

Coach ot Yr:

Rex Ryan, Jets -- Sanchez' success has Jets fans reminiscing about Joe Willie Namath circa 1969 (it was their only championship, so wth). He's taken those $140M worth of FAs Mangini brought in & done something with them. Trash-talking HC walks the walk too & commands league-wide respect.

Mike Singletary, 49ers -- Completely changed the 49ers team mindset to smashmouth ball & has converted one of the league's worst defenses into believing they're for real, Clements & Willis are playing at Pro Bowler form. These 9ers needed someone to put the fire in their bellies & Singletary has done it.

Sean Payton, Saints -- Awesome offense under Brees, the best field general/game-mgmt. QB in the NFL. New DC Greg Wiliams is turning their defense around, IMO they're still a DT, ILB, & DB away from the franchise's 1st SB.

Note: I refuse to put 3-0 HCs McDaniels or Coughlin in here b/c I really intensely dislike them both, one's an a-hole & the other a d-bag & you can figure out which. Homers can nominate them if they want.

Comeback Player ot Yr:

Cedric Benson, RB, Bengals -- The Bengals?? Beating the Steelers? Not in this universe, but it happened. Benson has turned his lifestyle & his game around 180 degrees.

Defensive & Offensive Rookies ot Yr -- Way, way too early to tell, but some names I could throw out there:

Knowshon Moreno, RB, Denver
Ray Maualaga, LB, Bengals
Mark Sanchez, QB, Jets
Pat White, Wildcat QB, Fins
Glen Coffee, RB, 49ers

So throw some names from your teams out there.

senormysterioso
09-30-2009, 09:21 AM
I think that Coach of the Year candidates would be Rex Ryan, Marvin Lewis, and Singletary

Comeback; I can't think of anyone doing better than Benson. Maybe Vick or Mike Williams just because they're in the damn league

Offensive and Defensive ROY:
Offensive is Mark Sanchez right now, no doubt
Defensive is either Rey Maualaga or James Laurenitis probably

J52
09-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Pat white?.........

killxswitch
09-30-2009, 09:46 AM
Pat white?.........

Agreed, what has he done?

Go_Eagles77
09-30-2009, 10:10 AM
So far the best rookie "Wildcat QB" has been LeSean McCoy, not Pat White.

CC.SD
09-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Even if I didn't already love him, i would still know that Sanchez is officially a lock for OROY. It would take a comet at this point to derail that train. Is that a mixed metaphor? A comet COULD conceivably derail a train.

LizardState
09-30-2009, 10:14 AM
I just threw Pat White out there so I could call someone a Wildcat QB. I still have no idea why Miami drafted him.

I think the wildcat has run its course, stick a fork in it, put it back in the back pgs.of the playbooks, no one gets caught with it anymore.

MetSox17
09-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I'm gonna stick a fork in my eye at the end of the season with all the times i've read/heard the word "wildcat".

senormysterioso
09-30-2009, 10:36 AM
The only way that Mark Sanchez doesn't win the offensive rookie of the year award is if he gets caught running a dog fighting ring, and even then, the media will love him again in two years.

HawkeyeFan
09-30-2009, 10:38 AM
DROY: James Laurinatis
OROY: Percy Harvin
Coach of the Year: Mike Singletary

P-L
09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
I just threw Pat White out there so I could call someone a Wildcat QB. I still have no idea why Miami drafted him.

I think the wildcat has run its course, stick a fork in it, put it back in the back pgs.of the playbooks, no one gets caught with it anymore.
Miami has averaged around seven yards per play in the Wild Cat formation so far this year. I wouldn't say it's done just yet.

diabsoule
09-30-2009, 11:05 AM
The Saints are an ILB away from having a great defense? So, you're saying we need someone better than Johnathan Vilma?

tjsunstein
09-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Coach of the Year:
Marvin Lewis, Bengals

Honorable Mentions:
Josh McDaniels, Broncos
Rex Ryan, Jets

Comeback Player of the Year:
Cedric Benson, Bengals

Honorable Mentions:
Cadillac Williams, Buccaneers

Offensive Rookie of the Year:
Mark Sanchez, QB, Jets

Honorable Mentions:
Percy Harvin, WR, Vikings
Johnny Knox, WR, Bears

Defensive Rookies of the Year:
Rey Maualuga, Bengals

Honorable Mention:
James Laurnitis, Rams

Miami has averaged around seven yards per play in the Wild Cat formation so far this year. I wouldn't say it's done just yet.

This.

wicket
09-30-2009, 11:28 AM
The Saints are an ILB away from having a great defense? So, you're saying we need someone better than Johnathan Vilma?

i was going to ask exactly that

Giantsfan1080
09-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Why is Coughlin an ahole or dbag or whatever you think he is?

YAYareaRB
09-30-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure Denver would give McDaniels coach of the year.

TitleTown088
09-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Charles Woodson won DPOM so.... Idk I had to get a plug in for him somewhere.

Flyboy
09-30-2009, 01:37 PM

Yeah, I didn't get that one either. And, for the time being I'm set with Jabari Greer (who has been lights out thus far) and Tracy Porter manning our DB position. I think a DT and a slight upgrade at OLB would help us but other than that we're not doing too shabby.

PalmerToCJ
09-30-2009, 01:56 PM
It's weird but I think some of the races are getting narrowed down in a hurry.

Hard to not think Mark Sanchez will win OROY with health provided.
Rey is looking pretty good in the DROY race.

Coach of the year is kind of open still but Rex Ryan and Singletary are looking very good at this point. Marvin Lewis, Sean Payton and Josh McDaniels also have a shot but I think a lot could change with these teams that would take the coach out of the race.

wicket
09-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I didn't get that one either. And, for the time being I'm set with Jabari Greer (who has been lights out thus far) and Tracy Porter manning our DB position. I think a DT and a slight upgrade at OLB would help us but other than that we're not doing too shabby.

I think we could use an upgrade at SS and a long term replacement for darren sharper but no team is perfect. Im very happy with our corner situation

BBIB
09-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Comeback; I can't think of anyone doing better than Benson. Maybe Vick or Mike Williams just because they're in the damn league

LOL hello? Tom Brady. All he has to do is put up slightly above average numbers and he'll get it because he plays the glory position of quarterback.

Vick won't get enough touches to produce.

Gay Ork Wang
09-30-2009, 03:38 PM
LOL hello? Tom Brady. All he has to do is put up slightly above average numbers and he'll get it because he plays the glory position of quarterback.

Vick won't get enough touches to produce.
compared to his standards, Tom brady is playing rather abysmal right now

yo123
09-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Pls. nominate your own choices in the thread.

Coach ot Yr:

Rex Ryan, Jets -- Sanchez' success has Jets fans reminiscing about Joe Willie Namath circa 1969 (it was their only championship, so wth). He's taken those $140M worth of FAs Mangini brought in & done something with them. Trash-talking HC walks the walk too & commands league-wide respect.

Mike Singletary, 49ers -- Completely changed the 49ers team mindset to smashmouth ball & has converted one of the league's worst defenses into believing they're for real, Clements & Willis are playing at Pro Bowler form. These 9ers needed someone to put the fire in their bellies & Singletary has done it.

Sean Payton, Saints -- Awesome offense under Brees, the best field general/game-mgmt. QB in the NFL. New DC Greg Wiliams is turning their defense around, IMO they're still a DT, ILB, & DB away from the franchise's 1st SB.

Note: I refuse to put 3-0 HCs McDaniels or Coughlin in here b/c I really intensely dislike them both, one's an a-hole & the other a d-bag & you can figure out which. Homers can nominate them if they want.

Comeback Player ot Yr:

Cedric Benson, RB, Bengals -- The Bengals?? Beating the Steelers? Not in this universe, but it happened. Benson has turned his lifestyle & his game around 180 degrees.

Defensive & Offensive Rookies ot Yr -- Way, way too early to tell, but some names I could throw out there:

Knowshon Moreno, RB, Denver
Ray Maualaga, LB, Bengals
Mark Sanchez, QB, Jets
Pat White, Wildcat QB, Fins
Glen Coffee, RB, 49ers

So throw some names from your teams out there.

What is Cedric Benson coming back from? It's not breakout player.

LizardState
09-30-2009, 04:11 PM
What is Cedric Benson coming back from? It's not breakout player.

He's coming back from floating his way out of the Chicago Bears on an ocean of booze. And those public drunk arrests too :(

YAYareaRB
09-30-2009, 04:12 PM
What is Cedric Benson coming back from?

From sucking.. he overstayed though

LizardState
09-30-2009, 04:26 PM
IMO they're still a DT, ILB, & DB away from the franchise's 1st SB.

Edit: IMO they're still a DT, ILB not named Vilma, & DB not named Darren Sharper away from the franchise's 1st SB. <--fixed it

Speaking of which has Roman Harper come back to his top rookie form yet after his knee injury?

That's achievable, maybe one more draft & one more offseason of free agency. The Saints in the SB < 10 yrs. after Katrina would be an epic comeback story, they were at death's door & about 2 steps from moving to San Antonio. And Payton was Coach of the Yr before for a good reason.

BlindSite
09-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Why would Sean Payton get coach of the year? He hasn't changed his game plan or his performance, all he did was take a pay cut so someone else could be hired.

Rex Ryan is far and away the leader, with Singletary working hard to keep up.

Sniper
09-30-2009, 04:29 PM
Sanchez for OROY! Viva Sanchez!

dolphinfan2k5
09-30-2009, 04:35 PM

yeahthat ^

Congrats on not being ignorant like most media/fans.

wicket
09-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Edit: IMO they're still a DT, ILB not named Vilma, & DB not named Darren Sharper away from the franchise's 1st SB. <--fixed it

Speaking of which has Roman Harper come back to his top rookie form yet after his knee injury?

That's achievable, maybe one more draft & one more offseason of free agency. The Saints in the SB < 10 yrs. after Katrina would be an epic comeback story, they were at death's door & about 2 steps from moving to San Antonio. And Payton was Coach of the Yr before for a good reason.

what is the point of having 2 ilb in a 4-3? but outside of that (just chance the i in an o and all saints fans will agree with you, fujita and shanle on the outside is marginal and I think we can all agree on that).
Roman Harper has been okay and has grown already and will grow further into greg williams' system but he remains a liability in coverage imo.

I agree with you on the latter part however. Sean Payton frustrates me like crazy sometimes cuz he looks like he is playing madden but outside that he has done a great job. His best feat (imo) is that players want to play for him. He gets the right vets into town partially just because he is a likeable but still tough enough coach. he is someone most people want to play for.

besides that: saints football = sexy ;)

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Even if I didn't already love him, i would still know that Sanchez is officially a lock for OROY. It would take a comet at this point to derail that train. Is that a mixed metaphor? A comet COULD conceivably derail a train.

You'd need a magic bullet to stop that motorcade?

Timbathia
09-30-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure Denver would give McDaniels coach of the year.

McDaniels is a good example of how hard it is to overturn a bad first impression. If his new defense holds up for the rest of the season, then he EASILY wins coach of the year.

CC.SD
09-30-2009, 06:49 PM
McDaniels is a good example of how hard it is to overturn a bad first impression. If his new defense holds up for the rest of the season, then he EASILY wins coach of the year.

I hate to tell you this but Rex Ryan has already won it.

Saints-Tigers
09-30-2009, 06:53 PM
The Saints seem like as good a contender as any this season, I don't think there are any super complete and dominant teams.

Bengalsrocket
09-30-2009, 07:11 PM

But Ronnie Brown didn't put up 6 TD's with it in a single game this season dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, unless I'm completely misremembering, that's why people fell in love with the wildcat, and now they have some ridiculous expectations (like somehow the formation was created to score TD's on every single play or something).

Timbathia
10-11-2009, 07:43 PM
I hate to tell you this but Rex Ryan has already won it.

Are you still holding to this statement?

Rosebud
10-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Why is Coughlin an ahole or dbag or whatever you think he is?

Look at him:
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/18/183708.jpg

He's clearly an asshole and probably a racist.

Malaka
10-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Look at him:
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/18/183708.jpg

He's clearly an asshole and probably a racist.

But he's a great grandfather according to the announcers at todays OAK vs NYG game, they kept talking about it and I was loling.

Rosebud
10-11-2009, 09:53 PM
But he's a great grandfather according to the announcers at todays OAK vs NYG game, they kept talking about it and I was loling.

I beat he wears a whistle to sunday brunch in the offseason and "teaches" his grandkids how to properly carry their plates high and tight to their body so no one can jar them loose and make a mess.

Malaka
10-11-2009, 09:59 PM
I beat he wears a whistle to sunday brunch in the offseason and "teaches" his grandkids how to properly carry their plates high and tight to their body so no one can jar them loose and make a mess.

I feel bad for Chris Snee :(

Rosebud
10-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I feel bad for Chris Snee :(

Snee's a big boy, he can take some physical abuse for forgetting were to put the salad fork.

RaiderNation
10-11-2009, 10:15 PM
MVP: Peyton Manning
Offensive Player: Drew Brees
Defensive Player: Jared Allen
Offensive Rookie: Mark Sanchez
Defensive Rookie: Rey Maualuga
Coach of the Year: Josh McDaniels
Comeback Player: Tom Brady

Dam8610
10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
compared to his standards, Tom brady is playing rather average right now

Edited for accuracy. If you look at his career averages, he's right about on pace to hit all of them, in fact, he's doing really well in the INT department in comparison to career average.

I'm kind of surprised the two rookie 5-0 head coaches aren't getting any votes for Coach of the Year up to this point.

AntoinCD
10-12-2009, 12:56 PM
MVP-Peyton Manning; It would take something monumental to stop him now. 5 straight 300 yd games, 5 and 0 record and he's Peyton Manning. Call it a lock.

OPOTY-Peyton Manning; Currently on pace for 5264 yards, 38 TDs with only 13 INTs.

DPOTY-Patrick Willis; All world talent who does everything brilliantly. Only thing that will stop him is he is playing in the NFC West at the minute.

OROTY-Mark Sanchez; I would give it to Percy Harvin personally but Sanchez looks like he could lead his team to the playoffs, and with the exception of the Saints game is playing well.

DROTY-Rey Maualuga; Probably between him and James Laurinaitis and while Laurinaitis has better stats as of now Maualuga has more impact plays and plays on a better defense.

Comeback Player-Tom Brady; As I said at the start of the year, all Brady has to do is come back and not get hurt to win this award.

Coach of the Year-Brad Childress; This probably should go to Josh McDaniels as of now but the media will love the fact that Childress made the ballsy move to take Favre and Harvin. We all know about the Favre story but don't forget that apparently a lot of teams had taken Harvin off the board. Those two moves are looking pretty good as of now.

MetSox17
10-12-2009, 01:07 PM
You're wrong if you think Brady's a lock for CBPOTY. Him and the Patriots are playing like ****, and Cedric Benson is leading the NFL in rushing. I thought it was him going against bad defenses... then he went ape **** on the Steelers and Ravens. He's a stud again. Yay.

Job
10-12-2009, 01:25 PM
There's that guy named Carson Palmer who's not doing so bad too. Oh and that Osi Umenyora is doing pretty good. I personally think the record-setting season Brady had the year prior to his injury might hinder his chances at CBPOTB.

AntoinCD
10-12-2009, 02:13 PM
I don't see how Cedric Benson can be comeback player of the year. He played the last 12 games last year and would've gone for approx 1000 yards if he played all 16.

I also disagree that the Patriots are playing like ****. They aren't playing as well as they were two years ago but if they go to the playoffs I still he think Brady wins it.

As for Carson Palmer, he is pedestrian most of the game then plays well in the last 5 minutes. Not that that's a bad thing if they continue to win games. Plus that INT that Ed Reed got was horrible on his part

Dam8610
10-12-2009, 06:10 PM
I'd just like to point out to some people (JBond) that Peyton Manning is playing extremely well with the likes of Pierre Garçon, Austin Collie, and the 29th ranked running game in the NFL. But mainly just wanted to point out how well Garçon and Collie are doing.

HawkeyeFan
10-12-2009, 06:12 PM
Add 6 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 PD, and 1 interception to Laurinatis's resume.

Shiver
10-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Coach of the Year: Josh McDaniels
MVP: Peyton Manning
DPoTY: Jared Allen
Comeback: Tom Brady (cuz hes tom brady!1!)
ORoTY: Mark Sanchez
DRoTY: Rey Maualuga

Giantsfan1080
10-12-2009, 11:58 PM
Peyton is MVP right now. Eli is right behind him though.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-13-2009, 12:00 AM
Orton is 3rd.

Giantsfan1080
10-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Orton is 3rd.

I have no problem with that. I've been on the McDaniels bandwagon since he traded Cutler.

yo123
10-13-2009, 12:46 AM
I know everyone hates him as a person (including me,) but as of now Brett Favre has to be in the mix. Somewhere behind Peyton of course because he's the clear cut #1 right now, but I'd put him somewhere around 5.

HawkeyeFan
10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
Excuse me, ELEVEN tackles, 1 TFL, 1 PD and 1 INT to the Laurinatis club.

Jughead10
10-13-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't know why everyone thinks Sanchez is a lock for ROTY? He's already single handedly lost them one of their two losses. Of course that's to be expected of a rookie, but he throws a lot of check downs and dump offs. Jets are being far more conservative with the treatment of him than either Flacco or Ryan got last year. I think someone else will eventually pass him.

Giantsfan1080
10-13-2009, 04:08 PM
I don't know why everyone thinks Sanchez is a lock for ROTY? He's already single handedly lost them one of their two losses. Of course that's to be expected of a rookie, but he throws a lot of check downs and dump offs. Jets are being far more conservative with the treatment of him than either Flacco or Ryan got last year. I think someone else will eventually pass him.

Sanchez threw a couple of nice deep balls yesterday.

Crazy_Chris
10-13-2009, 05:35 PM

I don't get it either, personally I don't think he is anywhere close to a lock right now. However Sanchez is obviously the early front runner for OROY. Being a QB he won't have to do too much to win the award, just put up half decent QB stats. But if he slips up I can see Percy Harvin, Knowshon Moreno, or maybe Johnny Knox taking the award.

Also I don't see why Rey Maualuga is seemingly getting all the love for DROY. Maualuga has a sack and a couple FFs, 1 pass defended, and 13 tackles. He is playing well but nothing stands out sooo far from some of the other guys that he shoul be thought as the front runner IMO.

James Laurinaitis, has an INT, 1 pass defensed, FR, 31 Tackles, the guy is always around the ball and on sunday showed he too can make a play. Brian Cushing has half a sack, 3 passes defended, a safety, and 22 tackles. Even Clay Matthews deserves a mention for his big TD on monday night were he ripped the ball out of AD's hands, he also has a sack an 4 tackles. Last but not least Aaron Curry has 2 sacks,1 pass defensed, 2 FFs, and 28 tackles.

For me my awards as it stands would look like this...

MVP:Peyton Manning
OPOY:Peyton Manning
DPOY:Jared Allen
OROY:Mark Sanchez
DROY:Aaron Curry
Comeback:Tom Brady
Coach:Josh McDaniels

scottyboy
10-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Excuse me, ELEVEN tackles, 1 TFL, 1 PD and 1 INT to the Laurinatis club.

how many of them were pile dives that he got credit for? considering those were about 75% of his at college...