PDA

View Full Version : Lions @ Bears news etc...

BcLion
09-30-2009, 02:45 PM
Steve Rosenbloom wrote:
Lions a must-win. No, really. Honest.

Not to mean any disrespect to the Lions, but I’m about to disrespect the Lions.

In a big way. As big as the Bears’ margin of victory ought to be this week.

One victory in their last 20 games doesn’t mean the Lions don’t still stink. One win in a row isn’t mommy saying, “All better.’’ One win only smudges the complete and utter embarrassment that the Detroit franchise has become, but it remains a complete and utter embarrassment, believe me.

Look, teams with Super Bowl ideas don’t lose to the Lions. You become a complete and utter embarrassment yourself when you lose to these guys. See L’il Danny Snyder, the Jimrod head coach and rest of the Washington Redskins for details. You are automatically eliminated from the playoffs once you lose to the Lions. I believe that’s a new NFL rule. If not, it should be.

Last year, Rod Marinelli guided the Lions to the most embarrassing season in NFL history. It officially would be Stupid Daylight Time if the Bears’ new defensive line coach gets beat by the team with which he couldn’t beat anyone last year.

This is a season-defining game for the Bears. Don’t laugh. And it’s not me going overboard. It’s Bears defensive end Adewale Ogunleye using his blog to call this Sunday a “must win.’’

Last time the Bears played a home game, Ogunleye slapped some fans for booing the Bears. Listen up, Wale: You can’t imagine what you’ll hear if you lose so much as a quarter to this mess from Michigan. Lose the game, and I think immediate retirement is in order. Google “witness protection program’’ this week, just to be prepared.

Even forgetting the humiliation, the math tells you how bad a loss would be: The Bears would fall behind the Lions. Let me repeat that: The Bears would fall behind the Lions. Even though both teams would be 2-2, the Lions would have an actual tiebreaker over the Bears, and what’s more, the Lions would have a divisional win while the Bears would fall to 0-2 in the NFC North. See what I’m saying here? This is serious stuff.

Oh, and despite what I wrote a paragraph earlier, you can’t forget the humiliation of losing to these mopes. You can try to forget it, but people like me won’t let you, same as Washington D.C. won’t let the Deadskins forget about the Fiasco at Ford Field. Get a load of what some notables had to say:

Former Washington running back John Riggins in a series of post-game tweets: "There are team specific issues for sure and some individual issues for sure but the owner ultimately is a loser and you can't fix that ... as the owner alot on the line in Detroit u invite Tom Cruise to the game and he is chatting up your Coach! what does this tell us about YOU! ... u r Zorn ... Head Coach ... in Detroit ... alot on the line ...a nd u r chatting up TomKat before the game ... what does that tell us about YOU!!!"

Former Redskins kick returner Brian Mitchell on a cable show: “It's time for (Snyder) to hire somebody who can run this football team. Start with a general manager, get you a coach that can get guys to play, because obviously right now, you don't have the right people in place. ... We're not hating. We love this football team. What I hate is seeing guys who get paid exorbitant amounts of money to go out here and (wet) the bed. I mean, they don't care. It truly bothers me, and there's too many guys on this team that go around this town or go around acting as if they are Tom Cruise. They're' big time. They're superstars. And they haven't done a damn thing on the field for this team."

Even Roger Mason, the former Bull and huge Skins fan: "I'm so embarrassed to (be) a Redskins fan right now! What are we doing? ... This is an all time low point in Redskins history. ... I'm ashamed of my squad."

The angry Skins fans want people fired for losing to the Lions. I’d lobby for imprisonment or deportation. Or an hour chatting with Michael McCaskey.

Going into this epic battle, the Bears managed to get their best running back up to 3.1 yards per carry. Bears coach Lovie Smith says the running game has improved. Like it could be worse?

Look, the running game should’ve exploded last week in Seattle. That was the kind of game where the Bears should’ve been able to outmuscle and out-talent the Seahawks. They didn’t. Jay Cutler played hero again. Can Matt Forte and the offensive line get this guy some help? It would be inexcusable not to rush for 120 yards as a team this week.

Something else Smith talked about: adversity. He talked about how the Bears have faced it in the fourth quarter every week and came through and blah, blah, blah. Enough with the adversity blather. We’ve seen it. Cutler has done it every game; the defense has managed to hold onto a lead the last two games after choking in the opener in Green Bay.

Adversity means you’re close to losing. Blowing out opponents establishes some form of intimidation. Trust me, Lovie, you haven’t dealt with adversity like that which will flood Halas Hall if you lose to the Lions.

No, wait. Adversity is too mild. More appropriate would be apocalyptic. It’s your defense, Lovie. You’re making the calls, Lovie. It’s your home field, Lovie. It’s your defense with your new defensive line coach who you described as the best offseason addition against a rookie quarterback, Lovie.

You might not get fired if you lose to a team so badly behind in talent and coaching, but you’ll probably wish you had.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
All I can say is wow I hope schwartz posts this article in the locker room.

__________________________________________________ __________
Detroit Free Press wrote:
Bears look for answers for dormant running game
By VAUGHN McCLURE
CHICAGO TRIBUNE

A confident Matt Forte believes the Bears (2-1) should have success running the ball against the Lions (1-2) on Sunday even if statistics say the Bears are the fifth-worst rushing team in the league.

“When we put our mind to it, we can run against any team,” Forte said. “It’s difficult running in the NFL. We know that. But if we get bodies on people and stay strong, we can run the ball.”

Forte was by no means assessing blame. In fact, he put the onus on himself to run harder and break more tackles.

The bottom line is the Bears essentially are running in place. They enter Sunday’s game averaging a dismal 2.8 yards per carry, second to last in the league behind the Chargers.

Forte is 29th in the league in rushing with 150 yards on 59 carries through three games. He is the only back among the top 30 averaging less than 3.0 yards per carry with a 2.6 average. And this is the same player who compiled 304 yards over his first three games as a rookie last season.

So what has changed? Not Forte. He still runs hard, still hits defenders with the occasional ankle-breaking cutback. And injury is not an issue, although some wonder if the hamstring injury Forte suffered during the off-season lingers.

“No, my hamstring does not hurt at all,” he said.

What has changed is the offensive line, with three new starters and two players — right tackle Chris Williams and left guard Frank Omiyale — playing positions they were not initially projected to play. As natural left tackles, both gained more notice for their pass protection than run blocking.

The addition of future Hall of Famer Orlando Pace was supposed to give the Bears an added boost, but even Pace has had some difficulties.

“You just have to keep building, keep trying to get better,” Pace said. “Every week, we’re just going to try to get this thing going. We just have to work harder this week.”

Most figured the Bears would have success running the ball against the banged-up Seahawks regardless. Instead the Bears managed just 85 yards on 28 carries.

“We obviously didn’t run the ball like we wanted to,” center Olin Kreutz said. “I wouldn’t say we were happy with it at all. It just wasn’t enough.”

If the Bears can establish a running game, they won’t have to rely on passes in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

Sunday’s game against the Lions would appear to provide the ideal opponent to jump-start Forte, considering he ran for 126 yards on 22 carries the last time the teams met. But that was the same Lions team that finished 0-16 and did not put up much of fight.

This year’s version of the Lions broke a 19-game skid last week against the Redskins and held running back Clinton Portis to 42 yards on 12 attempts. The Lions somewhat limited Vikings star Adrian Peterson to 92 yards in Week 2. New Lions coach Jim Schwartz’s defense ranks 16th against the run, a big jump from last season under now-Bears defensive line coach Rod Marinelli.

“I know they’re running a new defense,” Kreutz said of the Lions. “We want to run the ball on everybody. We say coming into the game that we can run the ball on everybody, but that hasn’t happened yet. We have to get it going. We just have to.”

__________________________________________________ _______________

Chicago Sun Times wrote:
Bears aren't as good as you might think

September 29, 2009
BY NEIL HAYES nhayes@suntimes.com
The security guard at the gate of the Bears' training complex declared it a beautiful day despite gray skies and a howling wind that bent yellow-and-orange-tinged trees and prevented a flock of geese flying overhead from remaining in formation. There were just as many blue skies, rainbows and sunny dispositions inside the team's practice facility a day after stone-faced coach Lovie Smith punctuated a come-from-behind win over the Seahawks with a rare jack-o-lantern grin.

And, why not? Winning a game against any opponent is difficult in today's NFL, and the Bears have won back-to-back games after a mostly wretched display in a season-opening loss to the Packers.

But there are other ways of evaluating a team's performance. Yes, wins are important in this bottom-line business. But a better gauge requires measuring performance against individual and collective potential. In that case, the best news -- or the worst, depending on your point of view -- is that these Bears remain as much a work in progress as the never-ending road construction on the tollway that leads players and coaches to Halas Hall.

Mental and physical errors have prevented this team from approaching a level of play that equals or exceeds the sum of its parts.

''We've left a lot of plays on the field in all three games,'' Smith said Monday. ''We definitely haven't peaked in any one of the phases. But we are making improvement each week. We have a ways to go. All I talk to the team about is each week you set a bar and want to improve on that. We need to do that again this week, but we like some of the things that we're doing. To a man, they'll all tell you they need to get better, and we're going to.''

What we have learned about this team after three games is that it's a perplexing and mistake-prone bunch that raises as many questions as it answers from week to week. The Bears have a Pro Bowl-caliber running back but can't run the ball, for example. They have a franchise quarterback, but no true No. 1 receiver.

It has been a team that finishes strong but starts slow. Special teams are supposed to be a strength, but those units have surrendered as many big plays as they have made. It features a coaching staff unafraid of sending 185-pound Garrett Wolfe up the gut on a critical third-and-one against all logic.

For all the talk about the Bears finding a way to win, a cynic could claim that they might be 0-3 if not for four makable missed field goals.

Turn off the lights. Roll the tape. Was Sunday's effort a gritty, come-from-behind road win or a spotty overall performance against a team with eight missing starters? Did the Bears win the game or did the Seahawks let it slip away along with a 13-0 lead?

''All teams need to go through a little adversity,'' Smith said. ''We've probably gone through a little more than I would've liked.''

This team is a puzzle, all right. That they haven't performed up to their potential and have won two of three is encouraging. On the other hand, if they don't put a solid four quarters together soon, it eventually will be time to wonder whether they ever will.

''It will never be perfect, but I feel as long as we keep winning it gives us a better attitude,'' linebacker Nick Roach said.

We know more about the defense than the offense, which is likely the result of the latter unit featuring six new starters. The ''C'' on their helmet stands for cardiac. Thanks primarily to Jay Cutler, the Bears are establishing an identity as a team that can rally from any deficit.

But if an offensive line can't knock a defense featuring a linebacking corps that came into the game with six combined starts off the ball, how can they expect to run it against the division-leading Vikings, who have owned the league's best rushing defense the last two seasons?

The defense, on the other hand, is not a dominating unit but an opportunistic one that will play hard and give the offense a chance to win.

The Bears are giving plenty of effort from start to finish. That's a good sign. But playing hard should not be confused with playing well.

Cutler poses a lot more problems for a defense than Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton ever did. That's obvious enough. Cutler can help this team win games late in the fourth quarter. There's a positive. Robbie Gould remains automatic within 50 yards. After three games, that's what we know.

On a gray and blustery day after another ultimately successful if not confounding performance, that's about all we know.

Prowler
09-30-2009, 07:47 PM
they need to invite tom cruise to chicago.

SINCE1978
09-30-2009, 08:08 PM
Congrats, you win the award for longest post (rant) of all time ... wow.

Do the Lion's warrant that much concern? It's the Schwartz isn't it?

WMD
10-01-2009, 12:24 AM
We'll lose unless Cutler gift wraps us a few INT's.

The world will explode if we win 2 games in a row.

Prowler
10-01-2009, 08:22 AM
we are the most dangerous team in the nfl right now. our name puts more pressure on opposing qbs than any pass rush.

eeth
10-03-2009, 06:03 PM
I would also say we're dangerous for the reason we are pretty bad. Although I do think we can turn some heads if we play well like our rush defense has been, that will put more pressure on cutler to throw against our poor pass defense

SINCE1978
10-03-2009, 07:59 PM
If (big if) K. Smith plays & runs for 100 yards Detroit wins.
I have a feeling Forte will finally have his day and da Bear's win ...

WMD
10-03-2009, 09:38 PM
The first of many Cutler vs. Stafford matchups. Should be fun to watch at least.

Xiomera
10-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Prediction:

Lions 24
Bears 23

BOOOOOSH!

Xiomera
10-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Inactives

Lions: Drew Stanton, QB; Dwayne White, DE; Kalvin Pearson, S; Derrick Williams, WR; Sammie Lee Hill, DT; Daniel Loper, OL; Jon Jansen, OL; Turk McBride, LB

Dewayne White isn't playing!? Ernie Sims is!?

Prowler
10-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Prediction:

Lions 24
Bears 23

BOOOOOSH!

half right

Addict
10-04-2009, 06:56 PM
i couldn't tell from the highlights, is Matthew ok?

also: yeah we lost again, what else is new?

BRAVEHEART
10-04-2009, 07:07 PM
atleast we were competitive...........for a half. I'm praying that we draft Eric Berry to shore up that safety spot next to Delmas.

Addict
10-04-2009, 07:33 PM
atleast we were competitive...........for a half. I'm praying that we draft Eric Berry to shore up that safety spot next to Delmas.

I'm still thinking DL, we can obviously get safeties later on in the draft.

SINCE1978
10-04-2009, 08:36 PM
i couldn't tell from the highlights, is Matthew ok?

also: yeah we lost again, what else is new?

On The OT Jay Glazer reported it was a knee cap twist ... didn't think it was a ligament, but it popped out and then back in?? Painful tonight I would imagine but Glazer said he would likely play next week.

tblain1
10-05-2009, 02:19 PM

Forget Eric Berry. Our run defense is horrible. Forte struggled the first three games and then popped two big runs on us. Even Wolfe had a long run.

And did we even get to Jay Cutler? We don't need to spend our top picks on players who line up 10 yards from the ball. We need talented linemen who can eat running backs and chase down QBs. Without that our secondary (no matter how talented) will do nothing for us and get eaten alive.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
10-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Yes we need Dline badly.

We were missing Sammie Hill and DeWayne White this past game but still we have plenty of holes at DT and DE. How is Jason Hunter our most productive DE just baffles me. Avril has been hurt and didn't play well. We were really counting on him and he's a no show this year along with White.

Interior pass rush is nonexistent. Forte's first big run was Ernie's fault overpursuing. Didn't see the second one.

Addict
10-05-2009, 02:54 PM
yeah Berry would be nice, but the lack of DL is just killing us on D right now. Besides, talented safeties don't need to be picked up in the top 10 (although it does help).

Babylon
10-05-2009, 03:29 PM
yeah Berry would be nice, but the lack of DL is just killing us on D right now. Besides, talented safeties don't need to be picked up in the top 10 (although it does help).

Well i sort of agree with you and tblain1 but two things. First of all if you have the superior coverage in the secondary you can put 8 guys in the box and it shuts down teams running game. Second there has been precedence with guys like Sean Taylor, Kenny Easly and Ronnie Lott of guys worthy of top 10 picks.

tblain1
10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Well i sort of agree with you and tblain1 but two things. First of all if you have the superior coverage in the secondary you can put 8 guys in the box and it shuts down teams running game. Second there has been precedence with guys like Sean Taylor, Kenny Easly and Ronnie Lott of guys worthy of top 10 picks.

I'm not saying some safetys aren't worth top 10 picks. You pointed out a handful that I would agree on. But there are a number of top 10 (even top 5) defensive linemen in this draft. If one of them is there and berry is there, I will take the DL.

With 8 in the box theory I would worry about over pursuit, play action, etc. Thats really only a band-aid to stop the run if you have a weak line or a tactic you use against a purely running team that can't beat you with their QB. I don't think that will work as well against better QBs like Rodgers and Cutler.

Babylon
10-05-2009, 05:03 PM
I'm not saying some safetys aren't worth top 10 picks. You pointed out a handful that I would agree on. But there are a number of top 10 (even top 5) defensive linemen in this draft. If one of them is there and berry is there, I will take the DL.

With 8 in the box theory I would worry about over pursuit, play action, etc. Thats really only a band-aid to stop the run if you have a weak line or a tactic you use against a purely running team that can't beat you with their QB. I don't think that will work as well against better QBs like Rodgers and Cutler.

I was thinking situational 8 in the box but you make a good case. Bottom line i believe is take BPA (exclude WR,QB,TE), i don't think they're in a position to turn down superior talent.

Gay Ork Wang
10-08-2009, 07:43 AM
http://www.nfl.com/videos/chicago-bears/09000d5d8133a198/NFL-Weekly-Countdown-4-Kickoff-return-touchdowns

We got lucky, Knox pulled a Desean jackson and let the ball go right before he steps into the endzone