PDA

View Full Version : Just took the Wonderlic

nobodyinparticular
09-30-2009, 06:44 PM
I just took the 50-question Wonderlic test for a job interview. With a 12-minute time limit (same amount of time that NFL players have), I scored a 38 on it. When you factor in that I had a migraine when I took it (still do and it sucks...) I have to wonder people get anything in the single digits (really anything under 20, but that's beside the point). It takes a truly stupid person to get under 10 on these tests.

djp
09-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I just took the 50-question Wonderlic test for a job interview. With a 12-minute time limit (same amount of time that NFL players have), I scored a 38 on it. When you factor in that I had a migraine when I took it (still do and it sucks...) I have to wonder people get anything in the single digits (really anything under 20, but that's beside the point). It takes a truly stupid person to get under 10 on these tests.

* Vince Young looks away, embarrassed *

MetSox17
09-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Lol, oh poor Vince.

fischbowl
09-30-2009, 06:46 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/media/ncf/2003/0513/photo/g_fg_i.jpg

Kind of makes me wonder how Frank Gore and his Wonderlic score of 6 remained academically eligible playing for one of the best academic schools in the South

MetSox17
09-30-2009, 06:48 PM

Kind of makes me wonder how Frank Gore and his Wonderlic score of 6 remained academically eligible playing for one of the best academic schools in the South

Mack Brown at Texas runs one of the strictest programs academically in the country (at one of the best universities, mind you) and somehow Vince still managed. I'm pretty sure other people did their work.

djp
09-30-2009, 06:50 PM

Frank has a severe learning disability, that's how he stayed eligible. It was a struggle for him to get into Miami. He graduated though.

fischbowl
09-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Frank has a severe learning disability, that's how he stayed eligible. It was a struggle for him to get into Miami. He graduated though.

Ahh didn't know that. Good for Frank Gore

djp
09-30-2009, 06:51 PM
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20061123/NEWS/611230342?Title=Gore-s-rush-to-the-top

Link about his disability

nobodyinparticular
09-30-2009, 06:58 PM
For those interested, the "Wonderlic" in Madden's Superstar mode is fairly accurate in relation to the difficulty and type of question in the test. It also gets more difficult as you move on in the test. Not that any of the questions are ones you would find on a moderately difficult final exam, but under a time restraint it can be difficult to finish them all. The first 10 or so are giveaways (when I say giveaway, I mean giveaway) and then the next 15 are almost as easy (about a 4th grade level, maybe 6th grade) and it progresses from there. Anyone who earned a high school diploma should be able to get 20-25 in the 12 minutes allowed and with 25 minutes, they should get 40+.

wicket
09-30-2009, 07:02 PM
For those interested, the "Wonderlic" in Madden's Superstar mode is fairly accurate in relation to the difficulty and type of question in the test. It also gets more difficult as you move on in the test. Not that any of the questions are ones you would find on a moderately difficult final exam, but under a time restraint it can be difficult to finish them all. The first 10 or so are giveaways (when I say giveaway, I mean giveaway) and then the next 15 are almost as easy (about a 4th grade level, maybe 6th grade) and it progresses from there. Anyone who earned a high school diploma should be able to get 20-25 in the 12 minutes allowed and with 25 minutes, they should get 40+.

Lets just say that anyone truly academically educated should imo score over 40. This makes me wonder what some of those guys do at a university.

YAYareaRB
09-30-2009, 07:08 PM
So we have two guys on our team with learning disabilities.. COOL

steelersfan43
09-30-2009, 07:31 PM
i respect frank gore way more now.

hes got heart

YAYareaRB
09-30-2009, 07:38 PM
I <3 Frank gore

SeanTaylorRIP
09-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Yeah I read that story a while back. Even if they are on rival teams it's impossible to hate guys like Gore and Oher who weren't spoiled high recruits who were given everything in life on a silver platter.

TitanHope
09-30-2009, 08:06 PM
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20061123/NEWS/611230342?Title=Gore-s-rush-to-the-top

Link about his disability

Never knew that about Gore. Any more specific info on his handicap? It just says, "...a learning disability, affecting his comprehension of written material," which could be lots of things.

Wally03
09-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Never knew that about Gore. Any more specific info on his handicap? It just says, "...a learning disability, affecting his comprehension of written material," which could be lots of things.
Sounds like dyslexia and possibly dyscalculia. The biggest part that makes me suspect dyslexia is the fact he made a drastic jump in reading ability in a short period time, which happens occasionally when a person with dyslexia learns some of the different strategies that have been found to help those individuals.

Edit: Hit submit before I actually finished typing the post.

MetSox17
09-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Sounds like dyslexia and possibly dyscalculia.

That's my guess too. Since his issues stemmed from his elementary reading level.

Mr.Regular
09-30-2009, 08:19 PM
You had a migraine and wrote a test? I doubt that. I've had two migraines in my life and it'd be literally impossible to do that.... Both times involved lots of throwing up, extreme vision shaking, and me having to be doped on percs to settle me down. You probably just had a bad headache.

But yeah, I can't believe how low some of these players get... especially when they go to prestigious academic schools.

TitleTown088
09-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Mack Brown at Texas runs one of the strictest programs academically in the country (at one of the best universities, mind you) and somehow Vince still managed. I'm pretty sure other people did their work.

While Texas is a fine school, but I'd hardly call it one of the "elite" schools.

CJSchneider
09-30-2009, 09:00 PM
Sounds like dyslexia and possibly dyscalculia. The biggest part that makes me suspect dyslexia is the fact he made a drastic jump in reading ability in a short period time, which happens occasionally when a person with dyslexia learns some of the different strategies that have been found to help those individuals.

Edit: Hit submit before I actually finished typing the post.

Believe it or not there are a large number of people who suffer from dyslexia that improve drastically after physical therapy. Certain students get down and crawl, or move their hands from left to right as they spell and sound out words. The fact that he was an athlete probably helped him in that matter more then any other intervention.

Brent
09-30-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm pretty sure other people did their work.
One of my best friends was assigned the seat right next to Vince Young in a math class and according to my friend, Vince showed up once. And, yet, some how he always had graded homework to be picked up when ever it was passed back. My friend was always pissed because somehow Vince was getting a better HW grade (B) than he was haha.

CJSchneider
09-30-2009, 09:17 PM
One of my best friends was assigned the seat right next to Vince Young in a math class and according to my friend, Vince showed up once. And, yet, some how he always had graded homework to be picked up when ever it was passed back. My friend was always pissed because somehow Vince was getting a better HW grade (B) than he was haha.

Doesn't NCAA allow peer note-takers for scholarship athletes?

MetSox17
09-30-2009, 09:22 PM

It's true lol. My best friend had class with Marcus and Mike Griffin and neither of em ever showed up to class either. Most of the athletes don't.

While Texas is a fine school, but I'd hardly call it one of the "elite" schools.

What do you consider "elite"? Of Public Schools, i'd definitely say it's one of the best.

Brent
09-30-2009, 09:24 PM
What do you consider "elite"? Of Public Schools, i'd definitely say it's one of the best.
Yeah, I dont know what that's about, A&M and UT are two of the top 50 or so public schools in the nation.

MetSox17
09-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I dont know what that's about, A&M and UT are two of the top 50 or so public schools in the nation.

And that's not even mentioning the Business and Law Schools at UT.

Brent
09-30-2009, 09:27 PM
And that's not even mentioning the Business and Law Schools at UT.
Oh I was talking undergrad, and including the business schools at both.

TitleTown088
09-30-2009, 09:29 PM

You never specified " Public".

Brent
09-30-2009, 09:36 PM
gtfo with your private school nonsense!

TitleTown088
09-30-2009, 09:38 PM
gtfo with your private school nonsense!

I go to the University of Minnesota for the record. I'm BF51's top TA too.

MetSox17
09-30-2009, 09:38 PM

Well i figured you'd be comparing apples with apples.

Brent
09-30-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm BF51's top TA too.
what a kiss ass haha.

but in all serial, are you really a TA to bf51?

TitleTown088
09-30-2009, 09:56 PM
what a kiss ass haha.

but in all serial, are you really a TA to bf51?

Haha, no way. If BF51 saw me around the campus I'm sure he'd punch me, tell me how stupid I was, then torture me with his soul patch.

If I had the chance I surely would though, I'm sure he mocks his students constantly. It would be fun to see.

brat316
09-30-2009, 10:29 PM
so Wonderlic eh, I wonder what athletes do after they graduate from 4 years of school and don't go pro.

Snorlax1
09-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Staying off-topic;
UT's business school is a joke at the undergraduate level.

continue.

the decider13
09-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Doesn't NCAA allow peer note-takers for scholarship athletes?

Yes sir, one of my profs taught at OU and said that when the football players showed up to class they all sat in the back together talking while their note takers sat in the front.

Brent
09-30-2009, 11:22 PM
Haha, no way. If BF51 saw me around the campus I'm sure he'd punch me, tell me how stupid I was, then torture me with his soul patch.

If I had the chance I surely would though, I'm sure he mocks his students constantly. It would be fun to see.

http://www.hist.umn.edu/people/

bf51, are you on here?

Job
09-30-2009, 11:38 PM
You had a migraine and wrote a test? I doubt that. I've had two migraines in my life and it'd be literally impossible to do that.... Both times involved lots of throwing up, extreme vision shaking, and me having to be doped on percs to settle me down. You probably just had a bad headache.

But yeah, I can't believe how low some of these players get... especially when they go to prestigious academic schools.

That's cause some people have migraines that are stronger/worse than others. I have migraine problems, but I'm lucky enough for them not to be too hard. Still, whenever it happens (say once a week or every 2 weeks, they're quite recurrent), I get a LOT more sensitive to light, sound or any kind of unpleasant aroma, a little nausea, sometimes quite a bit but never quite enough to get me to throw up. Most of the time, I can still function, though in a much less effective way. Migraines are pretty much like anything in that there's a gradation in their severity. Yours happen to be quite the bad ones.

TitleTown088
09-30-2009, 11:39 PM

bf51, are you on here?

Ha, I found him on there.

El Peefs?????
10-01-2009, 12:34 AM

Nah no more specific info, it is just a convenient crutch for being dumb. Now instead of being the butt of jokes, like VY, he gets a 'awwww way to overcome.'

Brent
10-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Nah no more specific info, it is just a convenient crutch for being dumb. Now instead of being the butt of jokes, like VY, he gets a 'awwww way to overcome.'
well, he doesnt suck in the NFL, so no one cares.

nobodyinparticular
10-01-2009, 11:35 AM
That's cause some people have migraines that are stronger/worse than others. I have migraine problems, but I'm lucky enough for them not to be too hard. Still, whenever it happens (say once a week or every 2 weeks, they're quite recurrent), I get a LOT more sensitive to light, sound or any kind of unpleasant aroma, a little nausea, sometimes quite a bit but never quite enough to get me to throw up. Most of the time, I can still function, though in a much less effective way. Migraines are pretty much like anything in that there's a gradation in their severity. Yours happen to be quite the bad ones.

This is right about the type of migraine that I get but on a less frequent basis--about every 2 or 3 months. The nausea was pretty bad yesterday and you hit the nose on the head with the unpleasant aromas. The funny thing with my migraines is that it's not necessarily truly unpleasant aromas but just whatever smells my head decides not to like--yesterday it was my own cologne.

The one difference is that I get what are called ocular migraines. With these migraines, I will start seeing spots like I just held my breath for a long time and then the blind spots will grow. They grow to the point that I cannot really see much of anything out of one eye and the other will often have a small blind spot. After an hour or two, these blind spots will dissipate and then the migraine will hit like a sledgehammer. The spots started about an hour and a half before I was supposed to go to my interview and I was just praying that the headache would come by the time I needed to drive over there. By the time I needed to take the test, I could see perfectly fine (with sensitivity to light and sound) but my headache was in full swing.

YAYareaRB
10-01-2009, 12:55 PM

bf51, are you on here?

Let me guess, lower right corner

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-01-2009, 01:09 PM
This is right about the type of migraine that I get but on a less frequent basis--about every 2 or 3 months. The nausea was pretty bad yesterday and you hit the nose on the head with the unpleasant aromas. The funny thing with my migraines is that it's not necessarily truly unpleasant aromas but just whatever smells my head decides not to like--yesterday it was my own cologne.

The one difference is that I get what are called ocular migraines. With these migraines, I will start seeing spots like I just held my breath for a long time and then the blind spots will grow. They grow to the point that I cannot really see much of anything out of one eye and the other will often have a small blind spot. After an hour or two, these blind spots will dissipate and then the migraine will hit like a sledgehammer. The spots started about an hour and a half before I was supposed to go to my interview and I was just praying that the headache would come by the time I needed to drive over there. By the time I needed to take the test, I could see perfectly fine (with sensitivity to light and sound) but my headache was in full swing.

I get those ocular ones. Wasn't sure what they're called but it describes them to a T. I remember the first time I got one in tenth grade, I was like WTF is happening to my eyes... and then the headache hit. It's awful too eh, because you just KNOW you're about to feel some intense pain and are powerless to stop it. I used to get them a lot, luckily they are far less frequent now. I've gotten them at some inopportune times though. Once at my great aunt's wake, and once when I had two exams in HS on the same day.

nobodyinparticular
10-01-2009, 02:23 PM
I get those ocular ones. Wasn't sure what they're called but it describes them to a T. I remember the first time I got one in tenth grade, I was like WTF is happening to my eyes... and then the headache hit. It's awful too eh, because you just KNOW you're about to feel some intense pain and are powerless to stop it. I used to get them a lot, luckily they are far less frequent now. I've gotten them at some inopportune times though. Once at my great aunt's wake, and once when I had two exams in HS on the same day.

I can totally relate to that. I've had to take tests and final exams with them. It sucks so bad. And being powerless to stop it is the worst, like you said.

For me, the first time I got it was in 7th grade. I was in history class. I thought I was going blind. It sucked so bad. I was freaking out inside but I didn't want anyone to know so I just sat quiet in class hoping that I wasn't actually going blind.

Brent
10-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Let me guess, lower right corner
second row, second from the right and in the suit, if I am not mistaken.

Hawk
10-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Whats his name? I'm gonna look him up on ratemyprofessor

TitleTown088
10-01-2009, 04:03 PM
second row, second from the right and in the suit, if I am not mistaken.

Nah, thats not him.

MetSox17
10-01-2009, 04:04 PM

Lol that would be sweet.

TitleTown088
10-01-2009, 04:07 PM

I don't see him on there, I don't think he's a professor yet either. It would be funny to see his review however.