PDA

View Full Version : Jim Brown to Crabtree: Get Your Butt In Camp

LizardState
10-01-2009, 01:29 PM
http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2009/10/01/jim-brown-to-49ers-pick-mr-crabtree-get-your-butt-in-camp/

The Hall of Famer had some terse words for Crabtree's holdout.

“Mr. Crabtree, get your butt in camp,’’ he said.

In an interview with Sirius XM radio, Brown told host Joe Madison that Michael Crabtree’s current stance is “totally ridiculous” and said that an athlete’s career is measured by the way he plays, not the contract he signs.

“You don’t realize that your legacy will be based upon how you perform, not how much money you made?” Brown said on the show.

YAYareaRB
10-01-2009, 01:32 PM
**** yeah! Jim Brown is the man!

MasterShake
10-01-2009, 01:33 PM
If Crabtree doesn't sign with the 49ers...it may be the first time I wish a person's career to tank horribly.

tjsunstein
10-01-2009, 01:34 PM
So what? Crabtree's camp seems pretty content not playing this season unless he gets his money. Just because a Hall of Famer says the same thing everyone else is doesn't mean he'll do it.

Go_Eagles77
10-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Crabtree's an idiot. He's gonna have to have one hell of a career to make people forget about this year. I know niner fans never will.

YAYareaRB
10-01-2009, 01:49 PM
So what? Crabtree's camp seems pretty content not playing this season unless he gets his money. Just because a Hall of Famer says the same thing everyone else is doesn't mean he'll do it.

Duh.. It's just the fact that the only people on his side are his camp and that moron deion sanders

RaiderNation
10-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Thing is Crabtree cares more about money than his legacy at this point.

Raiderz4Life
10-01-2009, 01:57 PM
why are the 49ers still wasting their time with this loser? rescind the offer completely, let him hang out at home all off-season. let him drop out of the first day next year.

*shrug*

seems like y'all are doing ok without lining up a douchebag at wr.

I never told you this but....even since I joined NFLDC.....you've been my favorite member....

brat316
10-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Yeeeaahhh Crabtree will still get draft in the first round. I came to realize this after Kiper said it on espn and then thought about it some. Really NFL GM, drool over talent more than they worry about red flags, we have seen some stupid draft picks. GM don't want to be taht guy that passed up on talent because he saw a red flag.

We have seen guys sit out a year and still get drafted, Blount will get drafted as well.

Go_Eagles77
10-01-2009, 02:03 PM
We have seen guys sit out a year and still get drafted
And how has that worked out for them? I don't think anyone doubts he'll still get drafted, that's not really the point.

Raiderz4Life
10-01-2009, 02:07 PM
And how has that worked out for them? I don't think anyone doubts he'll still get drafted, that's not really the point.

If it weren't for the hip...."Tecmo" Bo would have been a reality

Go_Eagles77
10-01-2009, 02:11 PM
Good point. I was thinking more along the lines of guys like Mike Williams and Maurice Clarett, but Bo was legit.

Babylon
10-01-2009, 02:13 PM
I have to wonder if the foot just isnt 100%, for a guy to sit out when money is pretty much slotted is just plain stupid and we didnt need Jim Brown to tell us that. I think he'd actually drop out of the 1st round if he went back into next years draft.

YAYareaRB
10-01-2009, 02:15 PM
**** him.. Lets just have a ball of a draft next year

P-L
10-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Mel Kiper seems to think Crabtree would be the #1 receiver on the board next year and go HIGHER than #10 overall. I really can't believe that though. Any team that takes him in the 1st Round next year, much less in the top ten is stupid.

tjsunstein
10-01-2009, 02:17 PM
As long as the Packers don't draft him, ever.

Raiderz4Life
10-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Mel Kiper seems to think Crabtree would be the #1 receiver on the board next year and go HIGHER than #10 overall. I really can't believe that though. Any team that takes him in the 1st Round next year, much less in the top ten is stupid.

*cough*Al Davis*cough*

Babylon
10-01-2009, 02:22 PM
*cough*Al Davis*cough*

The Raiders should have taken him this year, Heyward-Bey isnt off to any booming start, of course he doesnt have anyone to get him the ball.

I usually agree with Mel but taking Crabs next year higher than 10 when you can argue the top 10 is better next year makes zero sense.

FlyingElvis
10-01-2009, 02:23 PM

So does it command an infraction or ban to say Kiper is an idiot in this situation? ;)

Stupid, stupid, stupid. There are far too many factors that would lead teams to pass on this kid early in the draft. And if the top 10 pass on him then the next 10 would have to pass simply b/c the risk is too high he wouldn't be happy with the $$$ slotted to the 11-20 pick. No way he goes top 15 next year. Kiper is right that Crabs would be the #1 WR on the board but that doesn't mean much since the top WR is currently slotted as a 2nd round talent.

Gay Ork Wang
10-01-2009, 02:25 PM
when have we ever seen a guy sit out a year because he thought he should get paid like the #5 (or whatever, i made up a number) overall pick, in spite of being picked 10th?

that's not a red flag like "dude got arrested once and might be ok." that's a "so what if we draft this loser and he STILL wants to be paid like the #5 overall pick" red flag. COMPLETELY different.

i wouldn't touch this guy with san diego's ten foot pole, let alone my own.
why would you touch him with a ten foot pole

Babylon
10-01-2009, 02:26 PM
So does it command an infraction or ban to say Kiper is an idiot in this situation? ;)

Stupid, stupid, stupid. There are far too many factors that would lead teams to pass on this kid early in the draft. And if the top 10 pass on him then the next 10 would have to pass simply b/c the risk is too high he wouldn't be happy with the $$$ slotted to the 11-20 pick. No way he goes top 15 next year. Kiper is right that Crabs would be the #1 WR on the board but that doesn't mean much since the top WR is currently slotted as a 2nd round talent.

I got reprimanded for making a Mel joke about my mailman once so you better be careful, we all love Mel right?:)

Raiderz4Life
10-01-2009, 02:27 PM
The Raiders should have taken him this year, Heyward-Bey isnt off to any booming start, of course he doesnt have anyone to get him the ball.

I usually agree with Mel but taking Crabs next year higher than 10 when you can argue the top 10 is better next year makes zero sense.

DHB blows....I think Crabtree would have been better in that slot but I'm glad we didn't take that douche

tjsunstein
10-01-2009, 02:33 PM
DHB blows....I think Crabtree would have been better in that slot but I'm glad we didn't take that douche

What's the difference? Either way, it's a waste of a pick. Zing.

Babylon
10-01-2009, 02:36 PM

Does he just not get open or the QB cant get the ball to him?

jnew76
10-01-2009, 02:36 PM

"Tecmo Bo" is and always will be the greatest video game athlete of all time. But the thing was, he was so close to as good as the video game.

You have to check out this youtube clip where Bo runs a 99 yard TD that takes up the entire 1rst quarter!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBvOxicz-0

As for Crabtree, I am worried that if he goes into the draft next year and runs a 4.6+ 40 time, then the memories of how great Crabtree was at Texas Tech will seem further and further away. He is making a catastophic mistake IMO, and I think the 49ers would be wise to cut their ties now. If this is any indication of his character and priorities moving forward, he has a lot of growing up to do.

Raiderz4Life
10-01-2009, 02:41 PM
Does he just not get open or the QB cant get the ball to him?

Not getting open + Russell + No hands = DHB

Babylon
10-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Not getting open + Russell + No hands = DHB

Not a good combination.

jnew76
10-01-2009, 02:44 PM
Not a good combination.

Not Getting Open + Russell + No Hands = DHB

Yeah, sounds like the abbreviation for a terrible disease.

Cicero
10-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Because I doubt Crabtree will ever figure out how to pull his head out of his ass I would take Dez Bryant, Arrelious Benn, Damian Williams, Brandon LaFell, Mike Williams, and Terrance Toliver all before Crabtree.

YAYareaRB
10-01-2009, 03:13 PM
What's the difference? Either way, it's a waste of a pick. Zing.

Al Davis would have probably gave him the money though

Borat
10-01-2009, 03:13 PM
I've already moved into the "I'd rather we just said **** it and don't sign him" camp. What a *****. Seriously. How is $20M not enough for you when you've never set foot on an NFL field? It's just ludicrous. It just pisses me off that I know at some point, this little baby is going to be making more money than me.

roscoesdad27
10-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Because I doubt Crabtree will ever figure out how to pull his head out of his ass I would take Dez Bryant, Arrelious Benn, Damian Williams, Brandon LaFell, Mike Williams, and Terrance Toliver all before Crabtree.

i would only take dez over crabs for my ravens...i'd definitly take crabs if benn and bryant were gone at the bottom of the first where we should be picking...ray would make sure crabs came in with the right attitude with help from his good friend deion sanders ;)

TitanHope
10-01-2009, 03:29 PM
I hope he gets invited to the 2010 Draft next year, that way 49er fans can watch the look on his face as 32 teams pass on him.

Although, no doubt when he falls out of the 1st RD, him and his advisors will start crying collusion.

roscoesdad27
10-01-2009, 03:31 PM
I hope he gets invited to the 2010 Draft next year, that way 49er fans can watch the look on his face as 32 teams pass on him.

Although, no doubt when he falls out of the 1st RD, him and his advisors will start crying collusion.

i dont think the ravens would pass on him....his boy deion is great friends with that #52 guy in baltimore.

Rosebud
10-01-2009, 03:32 PM
Even from a pure talent stand point I don't Crabs is far and away a better prospect than Benn, so I wouldn't draft Crabs on day one because in all likelihood he won't be the first receiver picked and WTF are you going to do when he again demands to be paid as though he was.

no bare feet
10-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I hope Deion gives him a few kilos and he does his best Len Bias impersonation. Was that too far?

Sorry I was joking but Crabs is a cockmonger.

Borat
10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
i dont think the ravens would pass on him....his boy deion is great friends with that #52 guy in baltimore.

Uhhhhh, is #52 the GM in Baltimore? Is Ray running the draft now?

roscoesdad27
10-01-2009, 03:39 PM
"Tecmo Bo" is and always will be the greatest video game athlete of all time.

i dont know man...christian okoye in excellent condition was unstoppable, pop cornin dudes left and right...lawrence taylor was crazy fast around the corner too, ate up everything...super tecmo bowl was the greatest game ever.

roscoesdad27
10-01-2009, 03:42 PM
Uhhhhh, is #52 the GM in Baltimore? Is Ray running the draft now?

he has his say...and ozzie always draft bpa...could turn into a randy moss-esq steal....and between ray and deion he would get signed

DoughBoy
10-01-2009, 04:04 PM
he has his say...and ozzie always draft bpa...could turn into a randy moss-esq steal....and between ray and deion he would get signed

The legend of Ray grows day by day. Crabtree is not going to sign just because Ray-Ray is on his team. What would Ray do to threaten him anyway? Shoot him?

brat316
10-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Well there is the possibility that 49ers can start a bidding war for Crabs and trade of his rights.

Crabtree can get paid like he wants to then, idk how that would work out though. And the 49ers get themselves a bunch of picks and maybe a player in return.

Borat
10-01-2009, 04:25 PM
AHAHA. NJX is right. There won't be any sort of bidding war. The only team that will trade for him would be the Jets.

roscoesdad27
10-01-2009, 04:30 PM
The legend of Ray grows day by day. Crabtree is not going to sign just because Ray-Ray is on his team. What would Ray do to threaten him anyway? Shoot him?

ray is great friends with deion who is seemingly very instrumental with crabs...and because ray's ray too.

wonderbredd24
10-01-2009, 04:36 PM

Ray Lewis has his say to Ozzie Newsome on how the Ravens draft? Really? You're sure you want to go with that?

Maybe he tells Ozzie what he thinks, but I doubt Ozzie Newsome listens to him at all

DoughBoy
10-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Last I checked Deion is not Crabtrees agent. Just because you are friends with someone does not mean you can get them to sign. If that was the case the NFL players would never leave the team that drafted them. Its all about the money.

Cicero
10-01-2009, 04:49 PM
i dont know man...christian okoye in excellent condition was unstoppable, pop cornin dudes left and right...lawrence taylor was crazy fast around the corner too, ate up everything...super tecmo bowl was the greatest game ever.

No, just no. Michael Crabtree doesn't not have the physical ability to ever be the player that Randy Moss is.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-01-2009, 04:50 PM
a bidding war? seriously?

any gm who trades for the guy at this point is an idiot and should be canned instantly (i'm sure, somewhere, brian xanders' phone is ringing).

Wait, I'm pretty sure Crabtree was a HS QB.... which means he's probably more qualified than Orton.

GET ON IT XANDERS!!!!!!!!

Borat
10-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Scene location: Ravens Draft Room
Date: Draft Day 1, 2010

Ozzie Newsome picks up the phone and calls Ray Lewis.

Ozzie: "Hey Ray, I know that you've done zero scouting on Michael Crabtree, and you've watched zero film on him. Moreover, you haven't interviewed him and haven't been able to work him out. But we're on the clock now. Do you think we should take Crabtree with our first pick"

Ray: "Yes."

Ozzie: "Really? Why?"

Ray: "He's friends with Deion Sanders."

Ozzie: "Oh OK. Should we pay him top 5 money?"

Ray: "Yes"

Ozzie: "Really? Why?"

Ray: "Deion said to."

End scene.

FUNBUNCHER
10-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Not running an official 40 time is gonna drop Crabtree if the top prospects in 2010 put up outstanding times. If Bryant and Benn run in the 4.4 range or better, Crabs can forget recouping his money lost from sitting out '09.

Just a totally dumb professional decision on Crabs part. He's coming from a gimmick offense, he's 6'1 with questionable long speed. If I were a GM, I would doubt Crabtree has the work ethic or desire to excel in the pros, another legend in his own mind.
IF Crabtree had the physical skills of a Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson, I could see somewhat the strategy in sitting out for more money. But Crabs is nowhere near a once in a generation, can't miss-type talent at the WR position.

The Niners should be actively seeking to trade his rights and rid themselves of this headache.

CC.SD
10-01-2009, 10:06 PM
Not running an official 40 time is gonna drop Crabtree if the top prospects in 2010 put up outstanding times. If Bryant and Benn run in the 4.4 range or better, Crabs can forget recouping his money lost from sitting out '09.

Just a totally dumb professional decision on Crabs part. He's coming from a gimmick offense, he's 6'1 with questionable long speed. If I were a GM, I would doubt Crabtree has the work ethic or desire to excel in the pros, another legend in his own mind.
IF Crabtree had the physical skills of a Randy Moss or Calvin Johnson, I could see somewhat the strategy in sitting out for more money. But Crabs is nowhere near a once in a generation, can't miss-type talent at the WR position.

The Niners should be actively seeking to trade his rights and rid themselves of this headache.

I thought they couldn't trade his rights at this point.

Giantsfan1080
10-01-2009, 10:08 PM
I thought they couldn't trade his rights at this point.

They can't.

Stranger
10-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Crabtree is a chump, but if he doesn't want to play for the 49ers this is pretty much his only move. Because once on the team he will have very little leverage for the next four or five years plus 49ers could then franchise him and if all else fails trade him to a team of their choice. Pure speculation on my part that he doesn't want to play for them but the money argument just doesn't make any sense.

Giantsfan1080
10-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Crabtree is a chump, but if he doesn't want to play for the 49ers this is pretty much his only move. Because once on the team he will have very little leverage for the next four or five years plus 49ers could then franchise him and if all else fails trade him to a team of their choice. Pure speculation on my part that he doesn't want to play for them but the money argument just doesn't make any sense.

Crabtree would love it if he got franchised. That would be some pretty big money for him for a 1 year deal. That would never happen though.

Bengalsrocket
10-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I think it'd be about fair if he got drafted in the 5th or 6th round, and then when the team set up contract negotiations they said, "well you're really a 4th round talent, so we're going to pay you better than where you were drafted".

YAYareaRB
10-02-2009, 10:21 AM
http://www.nfldraftblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ozzie-newsome-199x300.jpg

"Hey Ray.. We're gonna pass on Michael Crabtree. He wants top 5 money even though he's not being picked in the top 5."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/news/2000/02/06/lewis_killings_ap/t1_lewis_ap_01.jpg

"......."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/thetoydepartment/ozzzzie3.jpg

".....ok"

LizardState
10-02-2009, 10:37 AM
Crabtree was running a real gamble here, a calculated risk. Get the big $ now, then earn it on the field, & to hell with the damage to my reputation as the best receiver in the 09 draft with no character concerns.

The factors working against him were a down global economy, the 9ers, the team that drafted him, focused on a new stadium deal with most of their resources tied up in it, & no pressing need for them to sign a gamebreaker rookie receiver -- note that they're doing very well on both sides of the ball without him. That could change of course if they have WR injuries.

My take on this mess is that he is losing that gamble, the balance going further against him getting anywhere remotely close to the guaranteed $ he wants with each new SF win. He will end up being traded by the 9ers & getting less from another team, or going into the 2010 draft, being drafted by another team at less $ if the economy continues to tank as it seems to be doing or the new CBA mandates lower team caps -- he has the liability of a high pricetag now. Listening to the ignorant advice of loudmouth amateur agent Deion Sanders, he took on too much risk for zero reward.

49ersfan_87
10-02-2009, 11:48 AM
They can't.

They can trade his rights in the new league year, starting March 5th, 2010. Whether he has someone who wants to trade for him or not is another story.

If a deal gets done between Crabtree and the 49ers, I'd expect it to get done on November 15th or 16th. The deadline for him to sign is November 17th- if he doesn't sign by then he won't be eligible to play in the 09 season.

NotRickJames
10-02-2009, 06:28 PM
I'll never take Crabby on my team, I don't care how good he turns out (and personally, I think he'll be a scrub). That time of attitude is one thing after you've already performed well, but he hasn't proven anything. Idiot.

Brodeur
10-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Maybe Crabtree thinks that Scott Boras is his agent.

TitleTown088
10-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Primetime says he's coming.

Brent
10-05-2009, 12:59 PM
Primetime says he's coming.
Niners organization hasnt said a word about any thing and Crabs is living/training in Florida.

For those who don't know, Eisen and Deion has this exchange:
Eisen: [jokingly] Looking to the end zone for Michael Crabtree! ... No.
Sanders: Not yet. He could be brewing.
Eisen: Really? Dropping hints?
Sanders: Dropping hints.

I think it's more BS from Deion, but whatever.

CC.SD
10-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Niners organization hasnt said a word about any thing and Crabs is living/training in Florida.

For those who don't know, Eisen and Deion has this exchange:
Eisen: [jokingly] Looking to the end zone for Michael Crabtree! ... No.
Sanders: Not yet. He could be brewing.
Eisen: Really? Dropping hints?
Sanders: Dropping hints.

I think it's more BS from Deion, but whatever.

Deion is such a joke. Why is he even involved in this...every one of his proteges has become a complete disaster.

yourfavestoner
10-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Deion is such a joke. Why is he even involved in this...every one of his proteges has become a complete disaster.

Devin Hester says hai.

bigbluedefense
10-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Jerry Rice has been money in the bank though prior to Crabtree.

He called out Steve Smith (giants version) and DeSean Jackson before each of their drafts as money WRs.

If i was a team who needed a WR, id just ask Jerry Rice who to draft ;)

Addict
10-05-2009, 01:40 PM
*shrug* you work with what you've got.

stop discussing your ten foot pole NJX, it's freaking me out.

Devin Hester seems fine. But other than that you're right. Deion has a certain approach to the game that might have worked for him, since he was insanely talented and a genuine superstar with an insane skillset. Truth of the matter is Crabtree just isn't talented enough to do the same things Deion did, he's just not talented enough. He needs to shut up, sign the damn contract and EARN his money instead of demanding it.

YAYareaRB
10-05-2009, 02:55 PM

http://www.wvpics.com/pics/NoelDevine.jpg

He heard you and he's very mad

terribletowel39
10-05-2009, 02:57 PM
I thought he gave up on Devine after he escaped his mansion in Prosper and flew back to FL.

YAYareaRB
10-05-2009, 03:01 PM
I thought he gave up on Devine after he escaped his mansion in Prosper and flew back to FL.

lol escaped from his mansion hahaha

But the two are still close. He still mentors him

terribletowel39
10-05-2009, 03:06 PM
lol escaped from his mansion hahaha

But the two are still close. He still mentors him
Ahh..I didn't know that. Usually when someone has to sneak away from someone they don't really want anything to do with them.

It's huge. Its like half a mile to a mile from the road and looks bigger than The White House.

brat316
10-05-2009, 05:47 PM
He is flying back to 49ers, I guess he realizes ohh ****, I lost the leverage of they need me.

Parker is going to meet him their Tuesday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4534306

CC.SD
10-05-2009, 05:53 PM
http://www.wvpics.com/pics/NoelDevine.jpg

He heard you and he's very mad

You know it's true, bust potential on Devine skyrocketed when Deion became his daddy :D

YAYareaRB
10-05-2009, 05:54 PM
He is flying back to 49ers, I guess he realizes ohh ****, I lost the leverage of they need me.

Parker is going to meet him their Tuesday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4534306

Yeah I heard about that today on ESPN. Just imagine how the conversation went.

http://lifeinsports.org/eugeneParker.jpg

"Listen.. We're gonna get you your money. Just go do some wind sprints and we'll claim you've been working out."

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/ninerinsider/2009/08/02/crabbyhead-SI.jpg

"Cool man. They lost last sunday they for sure are gonna start needing me sometime! What was the score against the rams?"

http://www.bay-area-sports-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/eugene-parker.jpg

"35-0..."

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Michael+Crabtree+Portraits+0HgiaNV5Z0ol.jpg

"Rams???"

http://www.bay-area-sports-blog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/eugene-parker.jpg

"......"

http://atthebox.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/michael-crabtree.jpg

"......"

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/airplane-takeoff.jpg

YAYareaRB
10-05-2009, 05:56 PM
You know it's true, bust potential on Devine skyrocketed when Deion became his daddy :D

It might have came down when Deion tried to become his daddy but, before he could do it Devine stole his SUV and caught a plane back to Florida hahahaha