PDA

View Full Version : Most surprising team so far?

49ersfan_87
10-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I choose the Titans. I knew they were facing some good competition but i still didn't expect them to be 0-3 at this juncture.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Never would've thought before this season started that the 49ers would be one Brett Favre throw from 3-0.

Boston
10-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Remember when the Broncos were having the worst offseason ever every third thread? The Lions were jealous....

bigbluedefense
10-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Im not surprised at the Broncos going 3-0. I want to see what they do from here on out.

To me the surprise is the Steelers being 1-2. Its still way too early to be surprised at anything, bc it usually takes a good 8 games before we really start seeing who is what, but 1-2 for them is a bit surprising.

Im not surprised at the Titans, I expected them to have a down year. I also expected the Niners to be a better team this year.

YAYareaRB
10-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Titans. Didn't think they would have such misfortune. The bengals also surprised me. They seem legit.

BuddyCHRIST
10-01-2009, 07:29 PM
I'll go with Bengals because they look like a pretty good team. Broncos are prolly next but I knock them down due to the fluky win and their competition so far.

RaiderNation
10-01-2009, 07:53 PM
49ers for me. I thought they werent going to be as good as all my friends were telling me. They looked pretty good so far. I still think a replacement at QB will be needed soon, but right now they should be able to compete for the division

Rosebud
10-01-2009, 08:13 PM
I thought the 9ers and Bengals were ready to make the next step, Broncos haven't really beaten anybody but the Bengals on that flukey play and the steelers have been without troy p, leaving my surprise team to be the Tennessee Titans, I expected a step back from 13-3 but not for them to match their loss total from last year in week three.

TitanHope
10-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Im not surprised at the Titans, I expected them to have a down year.

A down year as in losing record, or down year compared to the '08-'09 season?

I knew the Titans had a tough opening schedule, so if you told me they'd be 1-2 after three games, I wouldn't have been in total shock. 0-3 is more surprising, since I thought all 3 games were winable. And they have been, they just gotta focus on finishing and stop inflicting wounds on themselves.

My surprise team is the Jets. I didn't expect them to be 3-0 with wins at Houston, hosting New England, and hosting Tennessee, all while starting a rookie QB.

bigbluedefense
10-01-2009, 08:33 PM
A down year as in losing record, or down year compared to the '08-'09 season?

I knew the Titans had a tough opening schedule, so if you told me they'd be 1-2 after three games, I wouldn't have been in total shock. 0-3 is more surprising, since I thought all 3 games were winable. And they have been, they just gotta focus on finishing and stop inflicting wounds on themselves.

My surprise team is the Jets. I didn't expect them to be 3-0 with wins at Houston, hosting New England, and hosting Tennessee, all while starting a rookie QB.

I was expecting an 8-8, 9-7 type of season.

Not necessarily bc theyre less talented than last year (theyre actually more talented this year), but I just thought they don't have enough in the pass game to remain a consistent team year in and year out. Losing Haynesworth hurts their defense a bit too, albeit that wasn't the main reason why I thought we'd see a dropoff with them.

Usually teams that live and die with their D and run game and don't have a top tier qb to provide consistent production in the passing game tend to have high and low years. They're rarely ever consistent year in and year out.

Look at the Ravens pre-Flacco as a perfect example of that.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-01-2009, 08:42 PM
I'll say Titans or Stillers. Or even the Bengals. They have 2 very quality wins.

P-L
10-01-2009, 08:43 PM
I don't care who they played, I would be surprised if the Broncos were 2-1 right now, much less 3-0.

LizardState
10-01-2009, 08:49 PM
I voted 9ers b/c nobody expected their defense to play up to the level of its talent. They're playing way beyond it now, proved it vs the Vikes by keeping the best RB in the NFL out of the end zone & blocked a FG for a pick 6.

The titans were the hottest team in the NFL last season, now winless with QB problems, the Carolina of the AFC.

The Broncos only beat red hot Cincy by that freaky lucky bounce. There's still plenty of time for them to tank as predicted.

GB12
10-01-2009, 09:00 PM
The Broncos only beat red hot Cincy by that freaky lucky bounce. There's still plenty of time for them to tank as predicted.
Not really. Most people predicted 2-4 wins on the season for them. They already have 3 after 3 weeks. Unless they go winless the rest of the way they will have surpassed expectations.

brat316
10-01-2009, 09:08 PM
yeha Broncos tanking the whole season would be crazy, but it could happen.

Malaka
10-01-2009, 09:25 PM
I gotta go with the Titans, I knew they wouldn't be as good as last season but not this bad either.

Thumper
10-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Steelers, they're being beat by the Bengals and Bears and they are the superbowl champions... Yeah, surprising.

scottyboy
10-01-2009, 09:34 PM
i called the bengals, so I'm going with the Titans.

Hurricanes25
10-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Not really. Most people predicted 2-4 wins on the season for them. They already have 3 after 3 weeks. Unless they go winless the rest of the way they will have surpassed expectations.

I voted Denver for that reason.

Timbathia
10-01-2009, 09:40 PM
People seem very fixated on the "freaky lucky bounce" that allowed Denver to beat Cinci. Denver kept the Bengals scoreless for all but the last minute, and dominated the game without being able to score a TD (which was excusable as it was their first game running the new offense). Lucky bounce or not, Denver was the better team in that contest so writing it off because of the freak play seems a bit silly IMO.

And agreeing with GB12, Denver have already surpassed many peoples expectations. They were expected to be in contention for worst team in the NFL by many, yet they have COMPLETELY dominated two other teams also in that discussion (the Browns and Raiders) in ALL facets of the game (actually many people considered the Raiders to be much better than the Broncos this year before the season started). If the Broncos just slipped by the Browns and Raiders that would be one thing, but they beat them easy .

That being said, Titans surprise me the most.

Malaka
10-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Josh McDaniels Coach of the Year! :eek: lol

locseti
10-01-2009, 10:06 PM
I picked the Bengals as my sleeper team this year, so Im not surprised at their success, however at the sports book, the odds of the titans winning the superbowl paid thirty to one, so i put ten bucks down on em, knowing that they were a good football team with a legitimate shot, suffice it to say that i am pretty surprised at their current record.

PalmerToCJ
10-01-2009, 10:14 PM
People seem very fixated on the "freaky lucky bounce" that allowed Denver to beat Cinci. Denver kept the Bengals scoreless for all but the last minute, and dominated the game without being able to score a TD (which was excusable as it was their first game running the new offense). Lucky bounce or not, Denver was the better team in that contest so writing it off because of the freak play seems a bit silly IMO.

We dominated you all the entire first half, the second half was a draw. We were the better team that game, although not by much. We just couldn't finish when we got on your side of the field (INT, botched FG snap, missed FG).

I'm going with the Titans. I didn't think they'd be as good this year but after their battle at Pitt, I figured they would still be fine.

Giantsfan1080
10-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Nothing against the Bengals but the better teams finish that game with a W no matter what. Bengals are definitely taking that next step again though.

Splat
10-01-2009, 10:16 PM
While I still don't feel Denver will be a playoff team when all is said in done I still have to go with them at this point in the season.

Bengalsrocket
10-01-2009, 10:20 PM

Carson Palmer has pulled that last minute touchdown move at least once in every game so far this year, that's his style. It's been his style since he got here, the guy can run the hurry up offense like a champ. Back in 06 and a little in 07 we ran a no huddle offense for about a series every single quarter because of it.

I don't care what we call it, skill or luck, but Cinci didn't get out played for four quarters. We held Denver to six, then Carson did what he does best and it worked.

Timbathia
10-01-2009, 10:29 PM
We dominated you all the entire first half, the second half was a draw. We were the better team that game, although not by much. We just couldn't finish when we got on your side of the field (INT, botched FG snap, missed FG).

I'm going with the Titans. I didn't think they'd be as good this year but after their battle at Pitt, I figured they would still be fine.

There was only the botched FG snap, there wasnt another missed FG. Talking about not finishing on the other teams side - if Orton didnt brain explode and take that last quarter sack, then the Broncos kick the FG and Benson's TD wouldnt even have mattered. Cinci only got into the redzone once in the first half, so I dont believe that counts as dominating anyone.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-01-2009, 10:33 PM
There was only the botched FG snap, there wasnt another missed FG. Talking about not finishing on the other teams side - if Orton didnt brain explode and take that last quarter sack, then the Broncos kick the FG and Benson's TD wouldnt even have mattered. Cinci only got into the redzone once in the first half, so I dont believe that counts as dominating anyone.

I think the thing you can call the Denver-Cinci game is a close one. Of course, at the time, everyone was like "what a terrible game, both these teams suck. How the hell is Cincinatti's offense blowing hard against Denver's ass of a defense?" But now, with Cincinatti getting two very quality wins, Denver sitting at 3-0 with only one TD against, it puts the game in another perspective. It was a struggle between two very possibly good teams.

The Dynasty
10-01-2009, 10:46 PM
I went with the Niners becaue I didn't expect them to be 2-1 and actually should be 3-0. They performed very well against the Vikings especially in the 2nd half. They won't go away. I am shocked about the Titans and Steelers poor starts to this season. I did not seeing that coming. Cincinnati I think most of people had them as a sleeper pick this year so I am not that surprised that they have performed well. Then I feel the Broncos 3-0 and surprising record is being blown out of proportion. They have played the Bengals(would have lost without the miracle play), Browns and the Raiders. Two of those teams look absolutely terrible this year because of Quarterback play and the Bengals lost on a fluke play pretty much. I can't buy the Broncos. I wouldn't be surprised to be 3-5 after week 9. After they play Dallas, New England, @ San Diego, @ Baltimore, and Pittsburgh.

vikes_28
10-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Titans no question. I picked them to be superbowl champs before the season started. I even stated in their forum that I am confuzzled about them being 0-3. Another team that I am surprised about, Arizona. They are not doing so hot either. And the Madden curse has struck Pittsburgh already, it's only a matter of time before it strikes Arizona.

Job
10-01-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm surprised at the Jets.

aNYtitan
10-01-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm going homerish and saying that I would have never thought the Titans would be 0-3 after last years season, but I agree with TH, never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that the Jets would look so good and their defense so dominant.

abaddon41_80
10-02-2009, 08:05 AM
I would say the Bengals closely followed by Pittsburgh. The Broncos being 3-0 does not surprise me because I expected them to be 3-0 to start the season, I thought the Bengals, Browns, and Raiders would be amongst the worst teams in the league.

killxswitch
10-02-2009, 08:34 AM
Broncos, not just because of their wins but because I thought their D would be way worse than it has been. It is weird to think that we might look back on the Broncos - Bengals game as a matchup between two solid teams with winning records, when most people thought they'd both be terrible this year.

Bucs_Rule
10-02-2009, 09:12 AM
Jets. Never would have expected them to start 3-0 and have beaten the Pats and the Titans.

wicket
10-02-2009, 03:12 PM
depends on suprising how. when looking at record I'd say the broncos (or carolina), when looking at the level at which they played im going for the niners.
Since I am voting on the record im doing the broncos

MetSox17
10-02-2009, 03:25 PM
Honestly, i'm most surprised by the Bungles. The Titans have played well in all their games, so, eh, they've had a bad run of luck. The 9ers were a solid football team last season schematically, so i'm not surprised with them either. The Broncos are my second choice cause i really didn't see them being 3-0, but i thought the Bungles were just gonna be absolutely awful, and they've played extremely well, along with beating the defending champions.

yourfavestoner
10-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Honestly, i'm most surprised by the Bungles. The Titans have played well in all their games, so, eh, they've had a bad run of luck. The 9ers were a solid football team last season schematically, so i'm not surprised with them either. The Broncos are my second choice cause i really didn't see them being 3-0, but i thought the Bungles were just gonna be absolutely awful, and they've played extremely well, along with beating the defending champions.

They haven't won since stomping on the Terrible Towel. Hmmmmm.

nrk
10-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Jets. Never would have expected them to start 3-0 and have beaten the Pats and the Titans.

Yeah, Jets is my answer also. Although Titans being 0-3 is a surprise as well.

Towelie put a jinx on them.

Rosebud
10-02-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't really find the bungles surprising, that D was actually good last season and Benson gave them a consistent runner to pound the ball with like they had when that offense was lighting it up. Add a healthy Carson Palmer to the mix and an improved OL and you have the 2-1 Bengals we see today. Now if they go on to win a Wild card spot, then I'll be surprised, but seeing them playing well isn't shocking me at all.

wogitalia
10-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Gotta say the Jets are the most surprising to me, followed closed by Pittsburgh.

Jets have beaten a couple of solid teams, I didn't think it was at all far fetched that they could have started 0-5 when it was posted(didn't expect it but wouldn't have been surprised if it did happen basically). Sanchez looks really poised, but more surprising to me is that the defense hasn't just been good, it has been dominant. That said, I still remain a doubter that a defense built on excessively heavy blitzing will have long term success, I actually quite hope to be proven wrong as I love blitzing, but I would still be surprised.

Pittsburgh to me are the surprise. I would have had them at worst to be 2-1 after 3 with the only "losable" game being the Titans game that they won. Basically I'm shocked they lost to the Bengals and possibly even more surprised they lost to the Bears.

Bears have been a little surprising, didn't think they really had a shot against the Steelers or Packers so to shoot themselves in the foot against the Packers and beat the Steelers is a bit of a shock.

Titan's had a tough start but to have not won is surprising but I still thought they should beat the Texans and Jets comfortably, so expected 2-1, so 0-3 is a shock.

Bengals are also a surprise, though they always have that caveat with them that if Carson is healthy they are a totally different team, of course I could have probably got 50-1 that he would still be healthy after 3 weeks it has been that rare over the last 5 years, especially after they lost the guy I thought would be their best linemen before he played(Smith). Surprising team for sure.

TitanHope
10-03-2009, 12:34 AM

So what you're saying is that the Titans are sooooo good, the only explanation for their losing is a Turrable (/Charles Barkley) Towel curse...makes sense to me... :D

fenikz
10-03-2009, 12:42 AM
I don't see how the Bengals could be bad with Brian Leonard on there team
http://www.daretogamble.com/uploaded_images/Brian-Leonard-764538.jpg
http://www.stlouisrams.com/mediaContent/2007/08/25/00/Final_Feature_63075.jpghttp://www.sundaymorningqb.com/images/admin/Leapin__Leonard.jpg

neko4
10-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Im not incredibly suprised that SF and CIN are succeeding. SF has a great coach and CIN has always struck me as a team that underachieves, but had good potential. Im fairly suprised PIT is 1-2. Im very suprised that TEN is 0-3, but they could easily have been 2-1 I think. Im stunned that Denver is undefeated at this point.

Rosebud
10-03-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't see how the Bengals could be bad with Brian Leonard on there team

Seriously, without his great leaping they never convert against the steelers and keep that game winning drive alive. MOST. UNDER-RATED. PLAYER. IN. THE. NFL...lock, 2 win. evolution. championship.

scottyboy
10-03-2009, 08:18 PM
it won't let me rep fenikz, but rest assured, I came when I saw his post.

Again, I called it before the season:
Palmer, Ocho, Coles and Leonard make a good offense and I like their improved D. I also called Leonard being a key 3rd down/recieving back and was laughed at and scoffed. NEVER QUESTION MY LEONARD LOVE AND KNOWLEDGE <3

i pride myself on knowing more about RU football players than you do about anything...and that goes to everyone

Shiver
10-03-2009, 08:36 PM
I would say the Bengals. They are one fluke, once in a lifetime, play away from being 3-0. What is most impressive is how their defense has played, this isn't the same Bengals team that won by trying to mimic the Colts back in 2005.

Shane P. Hallam
10-03-2009, 09:21 PM
To me it is the 49ers. Very close to 3-0, and I thought they would be crap this year.

NotRickJames
10-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I believe it's the Broncos. They came in with huge questions at the quarterback and wide receiver positions, not to mention there were some Bronco fans already calling for McDaniel's head.

I am not surprised by the 49ers.

Hurricanes25
10-03-2009, 10:52 PM
After seeing that post by fenikz, I think Scotty needs a new pair of pants.