PDA

View Full Version : NFL Divisions Aligned Geographically

diabsoule
10-02-2009, 02:26 PM
I had quite a bit of time to kill today and began tinkering with all of the NFL divisions wondering what they would look like if I had to arrange them based on location. In doing so I tried taking a few things into account:

1. Division rivalries would not skew any re-arranging. (i.e. - Cowboys/Giants would not take precedence)

2. All of the old AFL teams had to remain in the AFC. When I initially began I said "to hell with that" but changed my mind based on the historical impact it has had on the NFL and it brings a bit of nostalgia to the game.

3. I tried to make the AFC and NFC balanced. When I first started the AFC North was loaded while the NFC West was extremely weak.

4. In the end I just could not separate the teams in the NFC North. Those teams have too much history and I feel it is the perfect division based on NFL history, rivalries, and tradition.

5. If needed then certain rivalries could be kept like in college football (i.e. Florida playing Florida State). Every year the Cowboys could play the Giants, Buffalo could play Miami, etc...

***NOTE*** This was more difficult than I thought it would be.

○ - denotes original AFL team.

AFC East
Buffalo Bills○
Indianapolis Colts
New England Patriots○
New York Jets○

AFC North
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals○
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC South
Jacksonville Jaguars
Miami Dolphins○
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tennessee Titans○

AFC West
Oakland Raiders○
San Diego Chargers○
Denver Broncos○
Kansas City Chiefs○

NFC East
Carolina Panthers
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Redskins

NFC North
Chicago Bears
Green Bay Packers
Detroit Lions
Minnesota Vikings

NFC South
Atlanta Falcons
Houston Texans
New Orleans Saints
St. Louis Rams

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals
Dallas Cowboys
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

Based purely on geographic location and the shortest distance for four teams to travel then this is what the divisions would look like:

AFC East
Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills
Pittsburgh Steelers
Washington Redskins

AFC North
Chicago Bears
Cleveland Browns
Detroit Lions
Indianapolis Colts

AFC South
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Cincinnati Bengals
Tennessee Titans

AFC West
Oakland Raiders
San Diego Chargers
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

NFC East
New England Patriots
New York Jets
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles

NFC North
Green Bay Packers
Kansas City Chiefs
Minnesota Vikings
St. Louis Rams

NFC South
Jacksonville Jaguars
Miami Dolphins
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals
Dallas Cowboys
Denver Broncos
Houston Texans

MetSox17
10-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Dallas would be in the playoffs every year :p

DoughBoy
10-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Having three rivals in Florida would suck.

awfullyquiet
10-02-2009, 02:32 PM
i actually enjoy.

i think they should throw conferences for a loop some day in the future. merge afc conferences some nfc conferences. and spit them back out.

heck, it's even closer to geographically compatable

diabsoule
10-02-2009, 02:36 PM
i actually enjoy.

i think they should throw conferences for a loop some day in the future. merge afc conferences some nfc conferences. and spit them back out.

heck, it's even closer to geographically compatable

I'm probably going to go back and do another version which will be purely based on geographic location. Old AFL members be damned!

vikes_28
10-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Not as long as Tony Romo is your QB. :o

ElectricEye
10-02-2009, 02:42 PM
I think it would be better to find a way to work the Eagles back into an east division(you could probably put the Steelers in one as well) but it's hard to do that with a limited amount of slots. Interesting concept, nice work.

Raiderz4Life
10-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Well...cant say i'm surprised about the AFC West

Hines
10-02-2009, 02:49 PM
That AFC North would be so good. Baltimore, Pittsburgh, and Philly? Oh my.

Go_Eagles77
10-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Why not just leave the eagles in the NFC East and the browns in the AFC North? Just curious.

drowe
10-02-2009, 02:57 PM
I like the idea.

some thoughts.

I'd ALMOST give the NFC East the same treatment as the NFC North, but i see where the Cowboys are the odd ducks. from your list, i would:

-have the Browns and Eagles switch divisions. geographically, it works just as well, and ya get to keep the Eagles in the NFC East.

-have the Redskins and Colts switch. again, this allows 3/4 of the NFC East to remain intact. and sends the Colts back to the East where they'll renew their divisional rivalry with the Patriots.

-Switch the Titans and Falcons. just for geographic reasons. we'd have a full division of florida and georgia.

this way, i think the only glaring issue would the Cowboys going from the (arguable) flagship of one of the most storied divisions in football to the NFL equivilant of the Mountain West Conference.

diabsoule
10-02-2009, 03:10 PM
I like the idea.

some thoughts.

I'd ALMOST give the NFC East the same treatment as the NFC North, but i see where the Cowboys are the odd ducks. from your list, i would:

-have the Browns and Eagles switch divisions. geographically, it works just as well, and ya get to keep the Eagles in the NFC East.

-have the Redskins and Colts switch. again, this allows 3/4 of the NFC East to remain intact. and sends the Colts back to the East where they'll renew their divisional rivalry with the Patriots.

-Switch the Titans and Falcons. just for geographic reasons. we'd have a full division of florida and georgia.

this way, i think the only glaring issue would the Cowboys going from the (arguable) flagship of one of the most storied divisions in football to the NFL equivilant of the Mountain West Conference.

I had been thinking of switching the Eagles and Browns. I like the idea of having Pittsburgh and Philadelphia in the same division but it does stack the odds. That would leave the AFC North untouched to go along with the AFC West and NFC North.

The Titans are the old AFL Houston Oilers. I can't move them out of the AFC if you read the stipulations I gave myself.

And that does make sense about switching the Redskins and Colts. It would renew the old rivalry between Indianapolis and New England when the two were in the same conference.

YAYareaRB
10-02-2009, 03:10 PM
NFC West
San Francisco 49ers
Oakland Raiders
San Diego Chargers
Arizona Cardinals

It would never happen but that would make my day

JFLO
10-02-2009, 03:12 PM
I love the AFC South, that would be sick. I also like the fact that you kept the NFC North the same.

The NFC East is a little suspect with INdy and Cleveland, but it would be really hard to re-align the teams exactly right, so it would never be perfect.

I like.

Vox Populi
10-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Giants-Jets in the same division would probably lead to a massive number of civilian casualties from police preventing post-game riots twice a year. I think the league should go with it ;)

Although that makes the NYJ-NYG super bowl impossible. I want one of those ;D

Splat
10-02-2009, 04:04 PM
The Chiefs being in the NFC would just be wrong.

Mr.Regular
10-02-2009, 04:11 PM
During class today I read this and decided to make 8 divisions purely based on geography. No rivalries or conference alignments were taken into account. I got
West
Seattle
San Francisco
Oakland
San Diego

South West
Arizona
Denver
Dallas
Houston

South East
New Orleans
Jacksonville
Tampa Bay
Miami

Mid West
Green Bay
Minnesota
St. Louis
Kansas City

North
Detroit
Chicago
Cleveland
Indianapolis

North East
New York Giants
New York Jets
New England
Buffalo

East
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Washington
Philadelphia

Central
Carolina
Cincinnati
Tennessee
Atlanta

WMD
10-02-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm sure once Goodell is done ******* up the draft, he'll decide to screw with the divisions.

Rosebud
10-02-2009, 04:49 PM
During class today I read this and decided to make 8 divisions purely based on geography. No rivalries or conference alignments were taken into account. I got
West
Seattle
San Francisco
Oakland
San Diego

South West
Arizona
Denver
Dallas
Houston

South East
New Orleans
Jacksonville
Tampa Bay
Miami

Mid West
Green Bay
Minnesota
St. Louis
Kansas City

North
Detroit
Chicago
Cleveland
Indianapolis

North East
New York Giants
New York Jets
New England
Buffalo

East
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Washington
Philadelphia

Central
Carolina
Cincinnati
Tennessee
Atlanta

How are Minnesota and GB not in the North? When Indianapolis, cleveland and chicago, three cities that are south of Minny and GB, are?

Brothgar
10-02-2009, 05:02 PM
I really think that they SHOULD re-arrange it for geographical local. Imagine Jets v Giants twice a year and Boston v NY twice a year. Awesome.

fenikz
10-02-2009, 05:11 PM

doesn't mean **** when they can't win a game, Cardinals have won 4 playoff games since the Cowboys won 1

vidae
10-02-2009, 05:18 PM
These kinds of posts are why these boards are so fun to read every day.

But please, keep the Chiefs away from the Packers and Vikings. :(

Jughead10
10-02-2009, 05:19 PM
AFC East
Buffalo Bills○
Indianapolis Colts
New England Patriots○
New York Jets○

AFC North
Baltimore Ravens
Cincinnati Bengals○
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC South
Jacksonville Jaguars
Miami Dolphins○
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tennessee Titans○

AFC West
Oakland Raiders○
San Diego Chargers○
Denver Broncos○
Kansas City Chiefs○

NFC East
Carolina Panthers
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Redskins

NFC North
Chicago Bears
Green Bay Packers
Detroit Lions
Minnesota Vikings

NFC South
Atlanta Falcons
Houston Texans
New Orleans Saints
St. Louis Rams

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals
Dallas Cowboys
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

I like the idea of keeping the original AFL teams in the AFC. There is a pride there that I think should stay intact. Only changes I would make is move Baltimore which was an old NFL city when there was an AFL to the NFC East. Boot Carolina to the AFC South and move Tennesee to the AFC North. I know Tennesee really isn't all that North but I like how they fit it in that division. Either way the AFC South in this breakdown isn't very exciting.

diabsoule
10-02-2009, 05:30 PM
I like the idea of keeping the original AFL teams in the AFC. There is a pride there that I think should stay intact. Only changes I would make is move Baltimore which was an old NFL city when there was an AFL to the NFC East. Boot Carolina to the AFC South and move Tennesee to the AFC North. I know Tennesee really isn't all that North but I like how they fit it in that division. Either way the AFC South in this breakdown isn't very exciting.

I like your proposals but the thing keeping me from doing that is how Tennessee fits geographically in a division with Pittsburgh, Cincy, and Cleveland. Baltimore is just a much better fit.

Brothgar
10-02-2009, 05:31 PM

I don't really think that anyone has a conference pride anymore maybe that is just me.

Jughead10
10-02-2009, 05:55 PM
I don't really think that anyone has a conference pride anymore maybe that is just me.

I think so. We've already had one Cheifs fan saying them in the NFC would be wrong. Certain teams I feel like still have AFL pride. The Chiefs being the main one. Buffalo and Oakland as well. Maybe not so much on this site as we have many younger fans, but people who have been fans for 40+ years definitely have that pride.

JT Jag
10-02-2009, 06:52 PM
West
Seattle
San Francisco
Oakland
San Diego

South West
Arizona
Denver
Dallas
Houston

South East
New Orleans
Jacksonville
Tampa Bay
Miami

Mid West
Green Bay
Minnesota
St. Louis
Kansas City

North
Detroit
Chicago
Cleveland
Indianapolis

North East
New York Giants
New York Jets
New England
Buffalo

East
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Washington
Philadelphia

Central
Carolina
Cincinnati
Tennessee
AtlantaI like it. Maybe flip Green Bay and Indianapolis.

And we could arrange the conferences NBA-style. The Central, East, Southeast and Northeast divisions in the Eastern Conference and the West, Southwest, Midwest and North in the Western Conference.

RagingColt
10-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I've been messing with this same concept ever since the season started back in Sept. This is what I came up with, which differs a bit from the other two in this thread.

AFC

East
Buffalo
NY Giants
NY Jets
New England

Central
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Detroit
St. Louis

South
Indianapolis
Tennessee
Carolina
Atlanta

West
Denver
Dallas
Houston
Arizona

NFC

East
Baltimore
Washington
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh

Central
Kansas City
Chicago
Green Bay
Minnesota

South
Jacksonville
Tampa Bay
Miami
New Orleans

West
San Diego
Seattle
San Francisco
Oakland

Other than teams in the AFC South, a team would never have to travel further than two states away for divisional games.

Bengalsrocket
10-02-2009, 10:05 PM
If you're going to go by region why would you split up KC and St. Louis?

Xonraider
10-02-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm sure once Goodell is done ******* up the draft, he'll decide to screw with the divisions.

Huh? How has Goodell ****** up the draft??

diabsoule
10-02-2009, 10:11 PM
If you're going to go by region why would you split up KC and St. Louis?

You have other teams to worry about so while Kansas City and St. Louis are close geographically, it makes more sense to align them with other teams than to try and keep those two together.

Brothgar
10-02-2009, 10:12 PM

I'm guessing that they are talking about making the draft three days.

diabsoule
10-02-2009, 10:14 PM
I like it. Maybe flip Green Bay and Indianapolis.

And we could arrange the conferences NBA-style. The Central, East, Southeast and Northeast divisions in the Eastern Conference and the West, Southwest, Midwest and North in the Western Conference.

I really like the idea of arranging the conferences like the NBA has their set up. It helps regional pride instead of old AFL teams playing NFL teams. However the East would dominate the West. Eastern based teams based on the proposed alignment have dominated the Super Bowl in most years.

Paul
10-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Dallas and Houston playing twice a year does sound pretty awesome. Lord knows Rangers/Astros isn't captivating the state.

JFLO
10-02-2009, 10:58 PM
If I were to do it, it would go like this:

NFC North
Minnesota Vikings
Green Bay Packers
Detroit Lions
Chicago Bears

AFC North
Indianapolis Colts
Cincinnati Bengals
Cleveland Browns
Pittsburgh Steelers

NFC South
Dallas Cowboys
Carolina Panthers
Atlanta Falcons
New Orleans Saints

AFC South
Houston Texans
Miami Dolphins
Jacksonville Jaguars
Tennessee Titans

NFC East
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Washington Redskins

AFC East
Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills
New York Jets
New England Patriots

NFC West
St. Louis Rams
Seattle Seahawks
San Francisco 49ers
Arizona Cardinals

AFC West
San Diego Chargers
Oakland Raiders
Kansas City Chiefs
Denver Broncos

GB12
10-02-2009, 11:02 PM
4. In the end I just could not separate the teams in the NFC North. Those teams have too much history and I feel it is the perfect division based on NFL history, rivalries, and tradition.
Why would you? The NFC is set up perfectly geographically already. The only way to reduce the distance would be to replace Detroit with Indianappolis, but that wouldn't make much of a difference.

TitanHope
10-02-2009, 11:40 PM

They changed it from lasting 2 Days and spread it out over 3, with the 1st RD now on primetime on Friday night. Not sure what rounds fall on Saturday and Sunday now.

I'm fine with it, personally, but others really don't like it.

[EDIT: Yeah, so Broth totally already touched on that and I'm blind...]

SuperMcGee
10-02-2009, 11:44 PM
I know you mentioned keeping the rivalry game, but I love the 1-and-1 that Buffalo and Miami have in opposite conditions every year (with the Buffalo game usually being late in the season). One of the better things in a depressed rivalry.

Beans
10-03-2009, 12:28 AM
can we get some of these in map form

diabsoule
10-03-2009, 12:41 AM

tell me how to do that and I'd be glad to do it.

Bengalsrocket
10-03-2009, 01:35 AM

I'll make Diabsoule's map in MSpaint if you give me 15 minutes.

I'll try to do it by memory lol.

Alright, I made a map based on Diabsoule's geographic realignment, which you can see here:

Based purely on geographic location and the shortest distance for four teams to travel then this is what the divisions would look like:

AFC East
Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills
Pittsburgh Steelers
Washington Redskins

AFC North
Chicago Bears
Cleveland Browns
Detroit Lions
Indianapolis Colts

AFC South
Atlanta Falcons
Carolina Panthers
Cincinnati Bengals
Tennessee Titans

AFC West
Oakland Raiders
San Diego Chargers
San Francisco 49ers
Seattle Seahawks

NFC East
New England Patriots
New York Jets
New York Giants
Philadelphia Eagles

NFC North
Green Bay Packers
Kansas City Chiefs
Minnesota Vikings
St. Louis Rams

NFC South
Jacksonville Jaguars
Miami Dolphins
New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals
Dallas Cowboys
Denver Broncos
Houston Texans

Link the map: http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp79/Bearrocket/Diabesoulesmap.jpg

a few notes: It got messy after I added team names, which I would have saved it without team names, but oh well. Secondly, I tried to do it off memory, so there may be a few mistakes. For example, I have no idea where carolina's stadium is, so I just put the dot on the border between North and South Carolina. New England's dot went on Boston, and Tennessee's dot went on Nashville - those could all be incorrect, because again, I have no idea where their stadiums are. Anyways, if I could start over again I would have made it a bit more clean, but oh well.

Mr.Regular
10-03-2009, 12:15 PM
How are Minnesota and GB not in the North? When Indianapolis, cleveland and chicago, three cities that are south of Minny and GB, are?
Oh, the names didn't matter. I tried to just make 8 divisions based on geography. You could rename each division whatever you wanted.

diabsoule
10-03-2009, 12:40 PM
I'll make Diabsoule's map in MSpaint if you give me 15 minutes.

I'll try to do it by memory lol.

Alright, I made a map based on Diabsoule's geographic realignment, which you can see here:

Link the map: http://i399.photobucket.com/albums/pp79/Bearrocket/Diabesoulesmap.jpg

a few notes: It got messy after I added team names, which I would have saved it without team names, but oh well. Secondly, I tried to do it off memory, so there may be a few mistakes. For example, I have no idea where carolina's stadium is, so I just put the dot on the border between North and South Carolina. New England's dot went on Boston, and Tennessee's dot went on Nashville - those could all be incorrect, because again, I have no idea where their stadiums are. Anyways, if I could start over again I would have made it a bit more clean, but oh well.

I appreciate the work. Just a few mistakes to point out:

1. You put the Oakland Raiders in Portland, Oregon.
2. You put the Lions in Chicago and the Bears in Detroit.
3. The Jets and Giants play in the same stadium. You put the Giants somewhere around Lake Pleasant, NY.

Bengalsrocket
10-04-2009, 03:02 AM
I appreciate the work. Just a few mistakes to point out:

1. You put the Oakland Raiders in Portland, Oregon.
2. You put the Lions in Chicago and the Bears in Detroit.
3. The Jets and Giants play in the same stadium. You put the Giants somewhere around Lake Pleasant, NY.

haha you're right, it was late. oh well - people get the basic gist of whats going on there. I was mostly just trying to test my own geography memory, which obviously fails.

Calvin & Kevin
10-04-2009, 10:40 AM
All right let's break this down because this is something I've thought about for a long time.

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt62/psyoxide/map1.gif
Here's a map of NFL cities. It always seemed to me like the crucial decisions would be made in how you break up the north/eastern cities, since they're the closest together.
There are several groups of teams which just make sense to me - GB/Chi/Minn in the north, the four West Coast teams, and the three Florida teams plus New Orleans. Atlanta is needed to match up with other Southern teams.

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt62/psyoxide/map2.gif
But ahead of all those, it seems like the one group that would be together no matter what would be New England, the two New York teams and Philly. Philly instead of Buffalo because you can't just take the Giants and throw them into the AFC East. But then what do you do with Buffalo? In this alignment, Buffalo goes with Washington, Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt62/psyoxide/map3.gif
And in this one, Buffalo goes with Cinci, Cleveland and Detroit. This would make a good division with the Ralph Wilson/Detroit ties and the two Ohio teams. But that messes things up with the other northern teams as you will see.

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt62/psyoxide/map4.gif
The more prevalent instinct is to keep existing rivalries when possible. In this alignment, Cleveland stays with Pittsburgh and Baltimore, adding Buffalo, but Cinci and Washington get broken off of their traditional divisions to go with
Carolina and Indianapolis. Also Washington and Baltimore are split up (not that they'd really care, but they are very close together).

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt62/psyoxide/map5.gif
Want to keep Washington and Baltimore together so Washington is not forced to play all Midwestern teams? The result is, Detroit has to go with the Ohio teams and Indy, and then who do you put with Chicago/Green Bay/Minn? It has to be Kansas City in this scenario and that just doesn't seem right to me. I think I like the previous one the best.

http://i598.photobucket.com/albums/tt62/psyoxide/map6.gif
Ah, you say, but what of Jacksonville? They seem doomed and probably will move sometime soon, and that could be that catalyst for another realignment in the first place. Let's say they move to L.A. as most of us expect. If that happens everything kind of falls into place. Atlanta and New Orleans can be with the remaining Florida teams, Washington and Baltimore can pair with the two Mid-South teams, the AFC North teams can get Buffalo for Baltimore, the NFC North can remain intact, the Midwest Plains teams can all be together, and finally, as a concession to Jerry Jones, the LA Jaguars can go in with the Southwest teams so Dallas can get that market twice a year. This is by far my favorite scenario.

NFC North
Detroit
Chicago
Minnesota
Green Bay

NFC East
Philadelphia
NY Giants
NY Jets
New England

NFC West
Dallas