PDA

View Full Version : The Buttonhook

superman
10-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I need as much info as possible on this pattern. Videos, pictures, important times it has been used in games, when it was 1st used in a game, ect.

Does anybody at least know a site that has any of this? I'm googling around and unfortunately it has another meaning also.

Babylon
10-02-2009, 04:03 PM
That's a term you dont hear anymore as you are finding out. Back in the stone age when i was playing a receiver would run a set distance stop and turn back to the QB for the ball, we called that a button hook. Today it's probably called a curl route or a comeback route.

superman
10-02-2009, 04:12 PM
sounds like a good thing to include. thanks.

dolphinfan2k5
10-02-2009, 04:17 PM
sounds like a good thing to include. thanks.

You'd probably be able to find more information by googling those terms as well.

superman
10-02-2009, 04:36 PM
that's what i'm doing. curl is giving me plenty of info. if you guys know of any good pictures (i guess it would have to be defender coming up on wr's back during a tackle to show he did a curl) or videos, link em.

Diehard
10-02-2009, 04:54 PM
When I played football (late eighties-early nineties), the button hook was a route where you ran downfield 6 yards, then planted and turned 180 degrees back to the QB. We ran the button hook as a timing pattern, so when you made your break you pretty much had to be ready for the ball to be on its way.

In my experience, this differs from the comeback where you actually run back some distance toward the QB.

The curl was similar, though it is a little more "rounded" at the end when you hook to the inside (or outside) a bit. The other difference in the curl is the depth (12 yards). See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQdluYWJuek

YAYareaRB
10-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Button Hook and Go is your best friend.. Use it

superman
10-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Button Hook and Go is your best friend.. Use it
is that a site?

fenikz
10-02-2009, 05:13 PM
i believe if you turn to the inside its a hook and to the outside its a curl

superman
10-02-2009, 05:21 PM
well let's hope the teacher doesn't know that

CJSchneider
10-02-2009, 05:29 PM

That's what I was always taught.

Edit: You may also want to google the term "passing tree"

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n80/artoftroy/Coverage%20Zones/standard_passing_tree.jpg