PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best CB in the NFC East?

Pages : [1] 2

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 11:22 AM
It is a little debate eaglesalltheway and I are having about who is the best. It is easily Terence Newman, but he thinks Terence newman sucks, lol.

Please be honest, and lets have a good debate.

remix 6
03-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Whos the best corner in AFC East? Asante Samuel

how about we do for each division..

AFC
----
East - Samuel,(dyson 2nd?)
West - Bailey (Asamougha 2nd?)
South - Mathis (Pacman 2nd?)
North - McAlister (is there a 2nd?)

NFC
----
East - Newman (Sheppard 2nd?)
West - Clements(Trufant 2nd)
South - Lucas(Hall 2nd?)
North - Harris (Winfield 2nd?)

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 11:33 AM
This is NFC East buddy, lol.

And what is with all of these Lito Sheppard votes, oh well, there are only so many eagles fans.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Who voted for Shawn Springs, lol.

PACKmanN
03-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Winfield is the best CB in the NFC North and i will admit that. In the NFC East its Terence Newman

etk
03-10-2007, 11:42 AM
NFC
----
South - Lucas(Hall 2nd?)

Lucas & Hall are overrated players. Hall gets burned too often to be an elite corner, and Lucas had a down year last year. The best corner in the NFC South is Ronde Barber, the all-pro. He's one of the best tackling corners in the league, has amazing field awareness, underrated speed, and he makes big plays in key moments, like his 3 INT TDs against the Eagles :D

etk
03-10-2007, 11:44 AM
It doesn't matter whether Sheppard is better than Newman or not, because there are so many Cowboys fans that this one won't be close soon.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Ronde Barder is average, but better than hall, I will give you that. He only made the pro-bowk this year on rep, and being tiki barber's brother. He had no business there this year, and you know it.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 11:45 AM
It doesn't matter whether Sheppard is better than Newman or not, because there are so many Cowboys fans that this one won't be close soon.

It doesn't matter if there are a ton of cowboys fans, no one even compares to Newman in the East, and no, not many of the cowboys fans vote in the poles here. D-Unit won't I can bet you on that.

etk
03-10-2007, 11:52 AM
Ronde Barder is average, but better than hall, I will give you that. He only made the pro-bowk this year on rep, and being tiki barber's brother. He had no business there this year, and you know it.

So Hall is below average....

Ronde's stats in 06: 98 tackles, 84 of them SOLO! 3 INTs for 2 TDs, and 13 passes defensed. The reason his INT numbers are so low is because teams threw on the other side after Kelly got injured, because Bolden is a liability and he was attacked and abused. INTs don't matter anyway so I don't have to explain myself.

I know understand why you have the worst rep on this forum, because saying he made the pro bowl because of his brother is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard. Ronde had every right to be at the Super Bowl this year, he personifies a great corner in every aspect.

princefielder28
03-10-2007, 11:54 AM
I feel Lito Shepard is the top corner in the NFC East!!!

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 11:54 AM
CBs aren't defined by stats at all. In fact, CB stats don't really mean anything at all.

Ronde Barber is not a great CB. Maybe good enough to make the pro-bowl a few times, but nothing amazing. Newman is much better, and should have been in the pro-bowl over him.

Maddenhero
03-10-2007, 11:57 AM
By a statistic point of view..
NFC East
-----------
Terrence Newman : 61 Tackles 1 INT
Anthony Henry : 81 Tackles 2 INT
Lito Sheppard : 30 Tackles 6 INT
Sheldon Brown : 52 Tackles 1 INT
Sam Madison : 39 Tackles 2 INTs
R.W. Mcquarters : 55 Tackles 1 FF 2 INTs
Shawn Springs : 38 Tackles 1 INT
Fred Smoot : 63 Tackles 2 FF 1 INT
Carlos Rogers : 78 Tackles 1 FF 1 INT

Lito Sheppard in my opinion, is the best in the NFC East.. He has the most INTs out of all of them and I think he missed a few games.

As for NFC CBs i'd rank them by 1. Barber 2. Hall. 3. Sheppard. 4. Newman 5. Lucas?

bigbluedefense
03-10-2007, 12:00 PM
Barber is a great CB. He fits the system perfectly. He's the perfect Cover 2 CB, I don't think theres a better Cover 2 CB in the league. I doubt there is in fact.

Id rate him ahead of Hall for now. Hall needs to rebound after this year before he can get shutdown acclaim again. Alot of it was scheme as well remember. Mora didn't use him the right way at all.

I'll keep the NFC East debate simple. Its Newman. The Eagles have the best CB duo in the East, I agree with that, but neither is better overall than Newman.

PoopSandwich
03-10-2007, 12:02 PM

AFC
----

NFC
----
South - Lucas(Hall 2nd?)

Leigh Bodden is second best CB in the north, possibly Deltha O'Neal because of his playmaking ability.

remix 6
03-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Lucas & Hall are overrated players. Hall gets burned too often to be an elite corner, and Lucas had a down year last year. The best corner in the NFC South is Ronde Barber, the all-pro. He's one of the best tackling corners in the league, has amazing field awareness, underrated speed, and he makes big plays in key moments, like his 3 INT TDs against the Eagles :D

Lucas had injuries ALL YEAR long..thats why he missed games and was very limited in playing time

remix 6
03-10-2007, 12:05 PM
This is NFC East buddy, lol.

And what is with all of these Lito Sheppard votes, oh well, there are only so many eagles fans.

no **** its NFC East but who cares about them? We have a Newman 500000 Newman threads with bitches like you crying about how hes so underrated and doesnt make pro bowl and all that crap.

you want him to make pro bowl? Vote for him and let the NFL players and coaches vote him in.

Newman is a great corner..we know..Sheppard is pretty good aswell. its obvious a cowboy and an eagle fan wont agree.

Dillen
03-10-2007, 12:05 PM
It doesn't matter if there are a ton of cowboys fans, no one even compares to Newman in the East, and no, not many of the cowboys fans vote in the poles here. D-Unit won't I can bet you on that.
Okay, there are like 50 Cowboys fans here. About 10 Eagles fans. So...

Also, look at the quote dude. What a surprise that your favorite player doesn't compare to anybody. He's in a league all by himself.

Please. Newman is a very good corner. He isnt in a league all by himself, that's only Champ Bailey. Sheppard is very close to Newman. Newman is probably a bit better but I voted Sheppard due to your blind homerism.

Chucky
03-10-2007, 12:10 PM
ronde is definatly the best NFC corner, and no question he deserved to make the pro bowl. He pretty much singlehandidly won a game for the bucs this year. How many other CB;s can say that

bigbluedefense
03-10-2007, 12:13 PM
*grabs popcorn*

jkpigskin
03-10-2007, 12:15 PM
some people cannot read the title

in that division, i think its terrence newman

bigbluedefense
03-10-2007, 12:15 PM
On a side note, the Bears CB duo needs more love. The sum is greater than the parts, and they play well in the scheme and do what theyre told to do. Theyre also underrated in man coverage (I bet alot of fans don't know that the Bears ran alot more Man then your average Cover 2 team). They force turnovers, they come up and defend the run...underated if you ask me.

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-10-2007, 12:16 PM
you probably werent here before the Team Discussions got deleted.

neko4
03-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Who voted for Shawn Springs, lol.

i just did. Springs doesnt get a 1/10th of the credit he deserves, sure he doesnt make flashy int's but hes really good, plus he was injured this year and the pass D fell apart.
1-Springs
2-Sheppard/Newman
4-Henry
5-Smoot
6-Brown
7-McQuarters
9-Rogers
10-Madison

etk
03-10-2007, 12:31 PM
CBs aren't defined by stats at all. In fact, CB stats don't really mean anything at all.

Ronde Barber is not a great CB. Maybe good enough to make the pro-bowl a few times, but nothing amazing. Newman is much better, and should have been in the pro-bowl over him.

Ronde Barber is an All-Pro corner. I think that defines him as great, without even looking at his exceptional play. The stats were just facts to back up my point. Stats mean nothing for CBs, but I think you can get a good idea of why Terence Newman is not nearly as good as Ronde by his stats and also you can see why he didn't make the Pro Bowl.

63 tackles and 1 INT don't exactly scream Pro Bowl, do they? Anthony Henry is a better corner than Juran Bolden too, so Newman probably gets more passes thrown his way, which means he should get more than 1 pick and 11 passes defensed.

Edit: Stats may mean "nothing", but why do all the great corners like Ronde, Champ & formerly Ty Law seem to always put up great stats?

neko4
03-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Stats overlooked:
Catches allowed
TD's allowed
Times thrown to
Deflected Passes

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Dang, accidentally deleted my post. Anyhow, in short, I think Newman is the better talent, but I think Sheppard is the better corner, ever so slightly. I like his reactions and instincts a bit better than I like Newman's, although it's close, and I'd certainly take either one anyday.

I will say this. A healthy Shawn Springs would enter the conversation ... provided that the injury didn't sap too much of his ability, along with the age. Prior to the injury, Springs was still a quality cover guy with good size.

Of that list, I'd rate it

1. Sheppard
2. Newman
3. Springs
4. Henry
5. Brown

Although 3-5 can be put in any order and a case can be made for it.

jetsfan3
03-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Stats don't really mean much because say player A gets a lot more picks than Player B. It could be because no one ever threw it near Player B because he was playing such great defense on his WR. Look at catches allowed and times thrown to, people.

My vote goes to Terence Newman.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Dang, accidentally deleted my post. Anyhow, in short, I think Newman is the better talent, but I think Sheppard is the better corner, ever so slightly. I like his reactions and instincts a bit better than I like Newman's, although it's close, and I'd certainly take either one anyday.

I will say this. A healthy Shawn Springs would enter the conversation ... provided that the injury didn't sap too much of his ability, along with the age. Prior to the injury, Springs was still a quality cover guy with good size.

Of that list, I'd rate it

1. Sheppard
2. Newman
3. Springs
4. Henry
5. Brown

Although 3-5 can be put in any order and a case can be made for it.

I don't know about that. Newman might not create the turnovers of the other guys, but he's clearly the best cover corner of the bunch. I see him every week, and I have him in the top 3 in the league. Outside of INTs, he's amazing. He blankets receivers, and teams don't even throw to him at all. He gives up like one catch every game, and its a dump off. I never seen him get beat deep. Ive seen him shut down Steve Smith, TO (when in Philly), Shockey, Burress, Santana Moss, you name it. And he does it with a less agressive front 7 as well.

bearsfan_51
03-10-2007, 12:49 PM
On a side note, the Bears CB duo needs more love. The sum is greater than the parts, and they play well in the scheme and do what theyre told to do. Theyre also underrated in man coverage (I bet alot of fans don't know that the Bears ran alot more Man then your average Cover 2 team). They force turnovers, they come up and defend the run...underated if you ask me.

Considering that both are up for free agency after this season, I'm fine with them being looked over. For what it's worth though, Tillman is the better corner of the two, he's just often overlooked because Vasher has more flashy plays.

And everyone should vote for Lito just out of principal if nothing else.

SeanTaylorRIP
03-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Why in the world is Springs in the poll if you are judging from last year, Carlos is much better, anyways we all know Smoot owns all other NFC East DB's. SMOOOOOOOOT!!!!!

21ST
03-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Why in the world is Springs in the poll if you are judging from last year, Carlos is much better, anyways we all know Smoot owns all other NFC East DB's. SMOOOOOOOOT!!!!!

Carlos Rogers?

Hines
03-10-2007, 12:57 PM
on that list its newman but i believe carlos rogers is better in the division. if not the best then number 2 with lito and sheldon 3 and 4

sodar21
03-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Newman is the best right now but you guys are sleeping on Springs. He is an excellent CB and the Redskins D is atrocious without him. He's had injury problems over his career but still remains one of the best CBs in the NFL.

Probably not top 3 in the NFC but I'd toss Charles Woodson in there as well.

dc4life
03-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Considering that both are up for free agency after this season, I'm fine with them being looked over. For what it's worth though, Tillman is the better corner of the two, he's just often overlooked because Vasher has more flashy plays.

And everyone should vote for Lito just out of principal if nothing else.

Newman's contract is not up next year and are you seriously gonna say Tillman is a better corner than Newman?:rolleyes: Please....

dc4life
03-10-2007, 12:59 PM
on that list its newman but i believe carlos rogers is better in the division. if not the best then number 2 with lito and sheldon 3 and 4

Rogers has no hands and awareness. How many Ints did he drop last year? Maybe with more experience he'll be good, but hes not the best in division.

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 01:00 PM
No, bf 51 is saying that Tillman is better than Vasher.

bearsfan_51
03-10-2007, 01:01 PM
No, bf 51 is saying that Tillman is better than Vasher.

Eh **** it. Let him think what he wants. Haha....

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 01:02 PM

Carlos had his fair share of struggles. Granted, a lot of it was scheme related, so he wasn't as bad as the pundits made it out to be. But at this stage, I wouldn't put Rogers with Newman/Sheppard. A case could be potentially made that he could challenge guys like Brown/Henry, but not at the top, IMO. He might be able to bounce back and have a big year, though, but if I was judging right now, I can't put Carlos up there.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2007, 01:04 PM
The Redskins ran way too much Cover 2 last year.

In principle it could work with the trucks at Safety they got, Arch actually played well in the Cover 2, and Taylor would make a good Cover 2 safety as well.

But they lack the pass rush, and their CBs are better suited for man coverage.

They should go back to the blitz heavy scheme they used to run.

Shiver
03-10-2007, 01:05 PM
There is nothing like subjective corner debates. Of which no one has any tangible proof as to why they are right, and whomever they are debating is wrong. It's the best kind of inane banter. Especially when the corner-back position changes so much from year to year.

dc4life
03-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Eh **** it. Let him think what he wants. Haha....

My bad. I seriously just woke up and didnt read the whole thing lol, but I see what you are saying now.

Hines
03-10-2007, 01:09 PM
isnt carlos like really good in man coverage. isnt that one of his strong points

Hines
03-10-2007, 01:10 PM

AFC
----

NFC
----
South - Lucas(Hall 2nd?)

ike taylor number 2
could be number 1 now in the north

bearsfan_51
03-10-2007, 01:11 PM
The Redskins ran way too much Cover 2 last year.

In principle it could work with the trucks at Safety they got, Arch actually played well in the Cover 2, and Taylor would make a good Cover 2 safety as well.

But they lack the pass rush, and their CBs are better suited for man coverage.

They should go back to the blitz heavy scheme they used to run.
Or draft a new defensive line, which they need to do regardless.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2007, 01:12 PM
isnt carlos like really good in man coverage. isnt that one of his strong points

Yes it is. Same with Springs. What they should do is go back to a man coverage blitz heavy scheme, and use Taylor as a SS who can blitz and lay wood in a soft zone up the middle.

Instead they ran way too much Cover 2 which made no sense. They lack the pass rush for it, and they take away the strengths of their CBs by doing that. Taylor also looked like a lost child in the Cover 2, although theres a backstory to that.

I think they'll be back next year. They could use a DE. Carter was supposed to be their Cover 2 DE, their Simeon Rice if you will, but it didn't work out.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Or draft a new defensive line, which they need to do regardless.

They have good DTs. Griffin still has some in the tank, and Golston is a diamond in the rough type.

They need DEs. If they get Branch, its strictly a BPA move imo. They need a DE much more than a DT.

etk
03-10-2007, 01:14 PM
ike taylor number 2

Ike Taylor was benched for some mediocre young corners, how can you possibly say he is the best in the division when his own team doesn't even think he's top 2 on their roster.

Shiver
03-10-2007, 01:15 PM
ike taylor number 2

Which is why he was benched last year.:rolleyes:

etk
03-10-2007, 01:15 PM
They have good DTs. Griffin still has some in the tank, and Golston is a diamond in the rough type.

They need DEs. If they get Branch, its strictly a BPA move imo. They need a DE much more than a DT.

Don't forget Joe Salave'a

bigbluedefense
03-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Don't forget Joe Salave'a

Joey Lawrence > Joe Salave'a

http://www.teenidols4you.com/thumb/Actors/joey_lawrence/Joey_Lawrence_1.jpg
"Woah!"

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Here's the interesting question for the Redskins fans to contemplate - will Gregg Williams stick with running a cover 2 scheme? Each year, he seems to adjust the schemes, and that's why he still is one of the better defensive guys out there, as he tries to adjust to the players. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he went back to a more base-blitzing scheme ... and then again, they could draft Branch/Carriker and go with more of a 4-3 2-gap scheme (Carriker at DE, Branch at DT), or they could draft Carriker and go with more of a cover 2 scheme (Adam at UT) or a speed rusher like Adams. Numerous other iterations.

What does that mean? In short, when you have a flexible coach, I think the Redskins are open to all sorts of options. I mean, their focus will still be on defense, but it allows them a lot of flexibility in regards to deals and decisions.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Here's the interesting question for the Redskins fans to contemplate - will Gregg Williams stick with running a cover 2 scheme? Each year, he seems to adjust the schemes, and that's why he still is one of the better defensive guys out there, as he tries to adjust to the players. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if he went back to a more base-blitzing scheme ... and then again, they could draft Branch/Carriker and go with more of a 4-3 2-gap scheme (Carriker at DE, Branch at DT), or they could draft Carriker and go with more of a cover 2 scheme (Adam at UT) or a speed rusher like Adams. Numerous other iterations.

What does that mean? In short, when you have a flexible coach, I think the Redskins are open to all sorts of options. I mean, their focus will still be on defense, but it allows them a lot of flexibility in regards to deals and decisions.

Definately true. I think signing Smoot might be an indication that they will go back to the blitz.

Makes sense too. 2 of the 3 division opponents run a vertical pass game. You want to blitz against those teams. And the Eagles don't really have any scary WRs, so you can live with press coverage against their WCO.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 01:31 PM
I don't know about that. Newman might not create the turnovers of the other guys, but he's clearly the best cover corner of the bunch. I see him every week, and I have him in the top 3 in the league. Outside of INTs, he's amazing. He blankets receivers, and teams don't even throw to him at all. He gives up like one catch every game, and its a dump off. I never seen him get beat deep. Ive seen him shut down Steve Smith, TO (when in Philly), Shockey, Burress, Santana Moss, you name it. And he does it with a less agressive front 7 as well.

And with Wad'es new schemes, NEWMAN IS GONNA OWN!!!!!!

How this poll is even close is retarted, but ok.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Oh and BBD I love you. You tell them about Newman, lol.

dware_94
03-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Newman...LOL @ Anthony Henry being on the poll

etk
03-10-2007, 01:38 PM
And with Wad'es new schemes, NEWMAN IS GONNA OWN!!!!!!

How this poll is even close is retarted, but ok.

Why are you so obsessed about what people think about a player? It's one thing to make a point about a player to convince them, like what I said about Ronde. Does it matter this much to you that everyone thinks Terence Newman is the best corner in the NFC East? If you are this obsessed, I guess I can pretend he's better than Lito Sheppard. If it makes you happy.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Newman...LOL @ Anthony Henry being on the poll

I made 5 options, so I just put Henry in. And actually, Henry is a good CB, could be a solid #1 somewhere, else but we have Newman.

And etk, thats ok, you don't have to pretend, because it is a fact. But if you want, I can pretend Lito Sheppard and Ronde Barber are good CBs.

Eaglez.Fan
03-10-2007, 03:00 PM
It's Newman, people only voted for Lito to piss you off. This is a pointless thread

edit- and btw you are the biggest homer I've ever seen

etk
03-10-2007, 03:03 PM
I made 5 options, so I just put Henry in. And actually, Henry is a good CB, could be a solid #1 somewhere, else but we have Newman.

And etk, thats ok, you don't have to pretend, because it is a fact. But if you want, I can pretend Lito Sheppard and Ronde Barber are good CBs.

There's not a person on this planet who doesn't think Sheppard and Barber aren't good CBs. Oh yeah, and Henry sucks and he gets burnt every time I watch him on TV. He is not solid and he wouldn't be a number 1 anywhere.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I meant better than Newman sorry, but they are both good CBs.

And Henry was injured all season. He is a good CB. He could be a #1 on a lot of other teams. He was a #1 before he came to Dallas, just to let you know.

skinzzfan25
03-10-2007, 03:39 PM
As of now, probably Newman, but if Springs is at 100%, I'd take him any day.

Go_Eagles77
03-10-2007, 04:11 PM
I can't take anyone seriously who has 3 red rep thingys.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Why are you so obsessed about what people think about a player? It's one thing to make a point about a player to convince them, like what I said about Ronde. Does it matter this much to you that everyone thinks Terence Newman is the best corner in the NFC East? If you are this obsessed, I guess I can pretend he's better than Lito Sheppard. If it makes you happy.

He is so obsessed because he thinks I am wrong in saying that Lito is a better CB than Newman. This is a pointless thread, and by the way, Lito is holding on quite nicely, despite the infinite numbers of Cowboys fans.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 04:18 PM
I can't take anyone seriously who has 3 red rep thingys.

Exactly what I think.

KILLERSANTA
03-10-2007, 04:19 PM
He is so obsessed because he thinks I am wrong in saying that Lito is a better CB than Newman. This is a pointless thread, and by the way, Lito is holding on quite nicely, despite the infinite numbers of Cowboys fans.

It's Newman, people only voted for Lito to piss you off. This is a pointless thread

edit- and btw you are the biggest homer I've ever seen

Newman is the best, I think Lito sucks. Maybe it just me, But i think Brown is the second best CB in the NFC...

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 04:26 PM
As of now, probably Newman, but if Springs is at 100%, I'd take him any day.

Are you listening to yourself right now? Shawn Springs?

And eaglesalltheway, do you still think Lito is better than Newman?

Newman is the best CB in the East, get over it.

Go_Eagles77
03-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Are you listening to yourself right now? Shawn Springs?

And eaglesalltheway, do you still think Lito is better than Newman?

Newman is the best CB in the East, get over it.

You're obviously the one that can't get over it if you had to make this thread.

Caddy
03-10-2007, 04:30 PM

After the first post I was thinking the exact same thing :)

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Nope, just wanted to prove him wrong.

And the real poll is like 60-10 Newman, people are just voting SHeppard to piss me off.

Go_Eaglez, do you think Lito is better, and be honest?

Dillen
03-10-2007, 04:35 PM

Newman is the best, I think Lito sucks. Maybe it just me, But i think Brown is the second best CB in the NFC...
Did you watch them at all last year? In 2005 you'd be 100% correct. Their play pretty much reversed into eachothers last year, although 06 Sheldon wasnt as bad as 05 Lito.

Also Tnew41, it should be 60-10? Are you freaking kidding? It's Terrance Newman, not Deion.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 04:38 PM
First of all, it is Terence Newman, second, yes it should be 60-10, so many people have voted Sheppard to piss me off, you don't have to be deion to beat lito sheppard, and 3rd, Terence Newman has been compared to Deion.

Go_Eagles77
03-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Nope, just wanted to prove him wrong.

And the real poll is like 60-10 Newman, people are just voting SHeppard to piss me off.

Go_Eaglez, do you think Lito is better, and be honest?

First off, there's no z in my username, that is Eaglez.Fan. Winning a poll on NFLDC isn't proof that Newman is the better corner, it is complete opinion, the only corner in this league that is practically a fact is that Champ Bailey is the best.

That being said I do think Newman is the better corner, but Lito is a much better playmaker. And he is a better corner than you and most Cowboy fans give him credit for. He made several game ending plays this year like the Carolina one and the the Dallas game. The ability to get ints and get the defense off the field seems like an aspect to one's game that is actually under rated on this site. Not to mention he (granted Sheldon Brown helped) held TO to 5 catches and 1 TD in both Dallas game this year.

I know this is pretty irrelevant to the thread but Lito is also the only player in NFL history to run back 2 ints a 100 yards to the house in their career, and they both happened against your cowboys.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 04:58 PM
First of all, it is Terence Newman, second, yes it should be 60-10, so many people have voted Sheppard to piss me off, you don't have to be deion to beat lito sheppard, and 3rd, Terence Newman has been compared to Deion.

Really, this is the first time I have heard that comparison. The reason people are doing this to piss you off is because you started a pointless thread that will just result in you bitching and moaning about how Newman is underrated and how Lito sucks. Get over it, no one cares anymore.

Paul
03-10-2007, 05:01 PM
You guys ever wonder why his rating is so low? Now you see.

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Just to answer to why I voted Lito (and I'm definitely not a Cowboys or Eagles fan, if I am partial to any NFC East team, it's the Skins from growing up in the area) -

Yes, I believe, pure coverage, Terence Newman is probably the best corner on that list. But I don't believe Lito's coverage abilities is that much worse off than him, and I believe that people didn't challenge Newman as much this year in part because Henry was injured and could be attacked (and no, I don't think Henry would be the number 1 on a lot of other teams, on a couple teams, maybe). Since I don't think the overall cover abilities are that much different between the two, Lito's playmaking ability and instincts is what gives him the edge for me. Granted, a case can be made that the poor play of Brown this year and the openings in deep coverage may have helped Lito as well.

BBD - I actually look for Gregg Williams to mess around a bit more. Last year, he ran a cover 2 base, but not the Tampa 2 base, in an effort to try and protect agains the pass and stuff the run. That blew up in his face, when the personnel overthought the requirements, and the offense wasn't consistent enough to protect against the flaws.

Here's one random thing I'll toss out (not saying this is what he'll do ... but just a random idea) - I wonder if the Skins might be able to really get creative, and perhaps, say, run a 2-gap cover 2 scheme that blitzes. Sounds like a ton, and I obviously am just throwing it out there. But personnel wise, the Redskins lack the ability to create pressure from base sets, as they ideally need another pass rusher on the outside to pair with Carter, and an interior pass rusher. If they bulk up on base sets, a 2-gap scheme could protect against the run a bit better, and allow the linebackers to roam a bit more. Their secondary has better depth with the Fisher and Smoot signings, but both are questionable signings as well, although they should be improvements from last year. The safety position next to Taylor is iffy, but Taylor, though, can't consistently sit back as it limits his impact, and he needs to be put in a position where he doesn't have to overthink his role and can trust his instincts.

Just random thoughts I guess that I was scratching out for fun at a meeting the other day when I started daydreaming. In short, though, I expect Gregg to throw some wrinkles in there.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 05:04 PM
No, Newman is just as good of a playmaker, he just doesn't get thrown at. Watch his college tapes. The reason Lito gets more picks is because 1, you get more pressure, and 1, he is thrown at A LOT MORE. Have you ever seen the Eagles d-line rotation, as much as I hate them, they are pretty nasty at getting pressure. Probably top 3 in the league, so thier CBs look a lot better because of that. Newman doesn't have that luxury.

And now eaglesalltheway you are reverting to acting like a 2 year old, and swearing.

And if you don't think Newman plays just like Deion, expectbetter tackling, your definitly on some type of drug.

Go_Eagles77
03-10-2007, 05:10 PM
No, Newman is just as good of a playmaker, he just doesn't get thrown at. Watch his college tapes. The reason Lito gets more picks is because 1, you get more pressure, and 1, he is thrown at A LOT MORE. Have you ever seen the Eagles d-line rotation, as much as I hate them, they are pretty nasty at getting pressure. Probably top 3 in the league, so thier CBs look a lot better because of that. Newman doesn't have that luxury.

And now eaglesalltheway you are reverting to acting like a 2 year old, and swearing.

And if you don't think Newman plays just like Deion, expectbetter tackling, your definitly on some type of drug.

Are you Terence Newman's mom or something? I defend my favorite players too but wow now you're just making ignorant staments.

Shiver
03-10-2007, 05:10 PM

You are out of your mind. I am pretty sure Deion Sanders was never beaten by receivers of the caliber of Mike Williams, Michael Jenkins, and Ashley Lelie. I like Newman, I voted for him, but your homerism gives all 'Boys fans a bad name.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 05:14 PM
He's just as good of a playmaker? He had one pick all season, and Lito was out for four games and had 6 INTs. As for acting like a two year old, your the one who kees PMing me to tell me why Newman is better, which isn't true. I told you four PMs ago I would like to stop, but you had to keep going. And by the way, I saw I had another PM from you, and I deleted it, so stop wasting your time PMing me because I will delete another one. So in conclusion, get over it, stop whining (Like that one better, I don't want to stoop down to your level) and just shut up about this already.

Dillen
03-10-2007, 05:14 PM

Are you serious? Do you watch the Eagles? When Kearse went out, the defensive line rotation SUCKED. For 14 games, there was no rotation. 3 DEs. 3 DTs. Every team does that. There was hardly any pressure on the QB last year. 40 sacks, and 16 came in the first 3 games. After that there was almost no pass rush to be seen, other than when they played the Drew Bledsoe statue.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 05:15 PM
I am not saying he is as good as deion, I am just saying his playing styles are just like Deion's. And all 3 of those TDs Newman gave up, the QB had over 5 seconds, which shouldn't happen, because our pressure sucks.

And the eagles are known for there pressure. They have 10x the pressure the cowboys do, and Lito definitly benefits from it.

I just love how eaglesalltheway actually thinks Newman isn't the best CB in the East, lmao.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 05:18 PM
As for the college stuff, that is college, not the NFL. The talent is much better in the NFL than college. Lets see how much of a fan you are of this guy TNew, if this guy is your favorite player, you should know where he went to colloge and High School. I will expect that information within 10 minutes of this post, though it should be 5, I am cutting you a break, so be thankful.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Eaglesalltheway, I am not whinging, you are. I won, you lost. How is Newman not a better CB?

And did you not read my post?

Newman doesn't have half the pressure you do, and he is thrown at about 3x less than Lito, so he can't make plays, but Lito can. Newman is a beter playmaker, it is not his fault he doesn't get the chance.

Oh well, everyone says Newman is the best in the East, and he is. So you stop whining.

He went to college at Kansas State, I don't care about high school. And why does that matter in this arguement?...

Go_Eagles77
03-10-2007, 05:19 PM
I am not saying he is as good as deion, I am just saying his playing styles are just like Deion's. And all 3 of those TDs Newman gave up, the QB had over 5 seconds, which shouldn't happen, because our pressure sucks.

And the eagles are known for there pressure. They have 10x the pressure the cowboys do, and Lito definitly benefits from it.

I just love how eaglesalltheway actually thinks Newman isn't the best CB in the East, lmao.

I know right. How dare he have an opinion.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Eaglesalltheway, I am not whinging, you are. I won, you lost. How is Newman not a better CB?

And did you not read my post?

Newman doesn't have half the pressure you do, and he is thrown at about 3x less than Lito, so he can't make plays, but Lito can. Newman is a beter playmaker, it is not his fault he doesn't get the chance.

Oh well, everyone says Newman is the best in the East, and he is. So you stop whining.

He went to college at Kansas State, I don't care about high school. And why does that matter in this arguement?...

Ypur winning because you have about 5 times as many Cowboy fans on here than ther are Eagles fans, so if you take that into account, Lito would be pummeling Newman in the votes, which don't matter anyway.

TNewFan41
If Lito was on the Cowboys, we wouldn't even know who he was, lets put it at that. We don't have alot of pressure, so he would get owned. While Newman still shuts his guy down all the time. If Newman were on the eagles, he would shut his guy down, and have double digit picks. That is why he is better.

OMG eaglesalltheway, did you not read what everyone said, half of lito's votes are just votes to piss me off, not real votes. And only 3 cowboys fans voted. So Newman is actually pummeling Lito. Thanks for trying though.

eaglesalltheway
5 minutes TNew

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 05:24 PM
for what????

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Apparently you don't read the posts, but now you have 5 minutes to tell us where Newman went to college and High School. He is your favorite player, so you should know all of this stuff.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 05:28 PM
tic tic, tic tic. Clocks a'wastin

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 05:28 PM
He went to college at kansas st., I already told you that. And I don't care where he went to high school.

Michigan
03-10-2007, 05:29 PM
i value corners strictly for their coverage abilities after suffering through years of Bly + Fernando Bryant, so i'll go with Newman.

Go_Eagles77
03-10-2007, 05:29 PM
If Lito was on the Cowboys, we wouldn't even know who he was, lets put it at that. We don't have alot of pressure, so he would get owned. While Newman still shuts his guy down all the time. If Newman were on the eagles, he would shut his guy down, and have double digit picks. That is why he is better.

OMG eaglesalltheway, did you not read what everyone said, half of lito's votes are just votes to piss me off, not real votes. And only 3 cowboys fans voted. So Newman is actually pummeling Lito. Thanks for trying though.

So you're bashing your whole defense just to hype up 1 player? And enough with the ignorant statements, you are making yourself look like the biggest ass right now.

Shiver
03-10-2007, 05:30 PM
The epitome of Terrence Newman: In the Carolina game, Delhomme threw a jump ball to Keyshawn Johnson. Instead of turning around, attacking the ball in mid-air, Newman jumps up and blocks Johnson from getting the ball. If he had ball skills and actually tried to make plays, like a Champ Bailey, he would be one of the best corners in the game. Right now he is on the 'very good' plateau. He benefits from teams not attacking him at all. Why should they? Because Anthony Henry, Roy Williams, whomever they've had at FS, are all poor in pass coverage. As anyone who watched them last year, and isn't blinded by homerism, can attest to.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 05:30 PM
Isn't he your favorite player? You don't care where he honed his skills to eventually become the best CB in the NFC East, supposedly.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Dude, are you serious? I don't care where he went to high school.

ANd yes, I am bashing my d-line, not anyone else. Ask any cowboy fan. We couldn't get any pressure at all last year.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 05:32 PM
The epitome of Terrence Newman: In the Carolina game, Delhomme threw a jump ball to Keyshawn Johnson. Instead of turning around, attacking the ball in mid-air, Newman jumps up and blocks Johnson from getting the ball. If he had ball skills and actually tried to make plays, like a Champ Bailey, he would be one of the best corners in the game. Right now he is on the 'very good' plateau. He benefits from teams not attacking him at all. Why should they? Because Anthony Henry, Roy Williams, whomever they've had at FS, are all poor.

Are you serious? ball skills are one of his best attributes, but ok.

And henry is a great #2 CB, just to let you know.

elway777
03-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Champ Bailey>Terrance Newman

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 05:34 PM
No, really?

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Honestly, I am done now. You have proven how unknowledgeable you are of football, and life in general. Good day, sir.

elway777
03-10-2007, 05:35 PM
No, really?

Just testing your homer boundaries.

etk
03-10-2007, 05:35 PM
If the Cowboys get no pressure and that's the reason for Newman's lack of INTs, then how come Roy Williams had 5 and Pat Watkins had 3? The Bucs had 9 less sacks on the season (and much less overall pressure) than the Cowboys, and Ronde had 3 INTs. That's 3x Newman's output. Ware always brings pressure, it's just there's no one else on their defense to take advantage of the sack oppurtunities when Ware chases away the QBs. That's the definition of pressure, and it should lead to lots of interceptions for a superstar like Newman. I don't think Deion would get only 1 interception on that defense, and Lito Sheppard wouldn't either.....

Damix
03-10-2007, 05:36 PM
How could Shiver be so stupid, Newman has no flaws. He is also ridiculously good looking and has fathered at least 400 babies with 300 different mothers. Shiver being a complete homer =/

Shiver
03-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Are you serious? ball skills are one of his best attributes, but ok.

And henry is a great #2 CB, just to let you know.

If Newman and Henry were both so "great," teams wouldn't have eaten the Cowboys pass defense alive last year. They did. Pass defense was the main reason they're team imploded down the stretch. Newman didn't play that great down the stretch, he did play great early in the year, it's just everyone else played worse. Henry is absolutely not "great" by any means.

Paul
03-10-2007, 05:40 PM
How could Shiver be so stupid, Newman has no flaws. He is also ridiculously good looking and has fathered at least 400 babies with 300 different mothers. Shiver being a complete homer =/

Plus he looks like Usher. What else can you ask for.

PS.
Please don't associate Tnew with the rest of the Cowboys fans here.

etk
03-10-2007, 05:40 PM
If Newman and Henry were both so "great," teams wouldn't have eaten the Cowboys pass defense alive last year. They did. Pass defense was the main reason they're team imploded down the stretch. Newman didn't play that great down the stretch, he did play great early in the year, it's just everyone else played worse. Henry is absolutely not "great" by any means.

The pass defense getting eaten alive was all the pass rush's fault. And every other player on the team except for Terence Newman, and Anthony Henry to an extent, because he is such a great #2 corner.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Hello, we had no pressure, and we had horrible safeties. As for Newman not getting picks, he is thrown at 2.44 times a game, the lowest by far in the NFL, that is why. The next closest is bailey with 4.13.

That is for #1 CBs, not #2s or #3s.

And how do I not know any football eaglesalltheway? because you lost, and you know Newman is better? oh, good reason to me.

Newman is such a better CB than anyone in the east it is funny, you just can't accept it because he is a cowboy.

Why do I always get eaton alive, for sticking up for my favorite player, plus when I am right. This just makes no sense.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Plus he looks like Usher. What else can you ask for.

PS.
Please don't associate Tnew with the rest of the Cowboys fans here.

Don't worry, I won't. It just seems like he has some issues to work out...

Number 10
03-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Now Henry is supposedly a #1 CB on teams across the NFL?

Come on bro, Cowboys fans werfe out for his head in December and want him move to FS.

What a joke.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Maybe because he had a knee injury?

and he could be a #1 on some teams, not all, He was before he got to Dallas.

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Um, hopefully this doesn't annoy Eagles fans, but their DL is not that good. That's why they are going into this offseason with the intention of upgrading their DL. Sacks are nice, and the Eagles do a good job at that, but their overall DL play was very spotty at the POA, which exposed their back 7 consistently. I value POA about as much as I value sacks when discussing the relative impact it has on the cornerbacks. Consistent POA at the line opens things up for the defense more, and the Eagles play at the POA was ugly last year, allowing for teams to change and adjust their gameplans.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them add a DE and a DT ... despite drafting DT's early the last 2 years. Sacks are nice, but they don't tell the entire story (btw, Philly had 40 sacks to Dallas' 34, and 6 sacks is not the world's difference, especially when Dallas played better at the POA, which helps the corners).

I'll say it again ... had Anthony Henry been a bit healthier this year, Terence Newman would've been picked on more. But as the season progressed, it was well known that Henry could be attacked, and it was well known that the deep support wasn't there.

By no means am I saying that Newman is bad. I think he's a very good corner, upper echelon in the league (I haven't really thought about where I'd rank him overall, as I haven't really thought about it). But I don't think the coverage skill of Newman is that much better than Sheppard, and I think Lito's playmaking instincts are better and his reactions are better as well.

What the heck does college tapes have to do with their play in the NFL after so many years? I have seen Newman's college tapes when he was coming out. Yes, he can make plays. But I think Lito is the better playmaker in regards to ball skills, anticipation, and instincts.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 05:47 PM
He is never thrown at, Lito is. What don't you undertand? You can't pick off what isn't there.

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 05:47 PM
Hello, we had no pressure, and we had horrible safeties. As for Newman not getting picks, he is thrown at 2.44 times a game, the lowest by far in the NFL, that is why. The next closest is bailey with 4.13.

And how do I not know any football eaglesalltheway? because you lost, and you know Newman is better? oh, good reason to me.

Newman is such a better CB than anyone in the east it is funny, you just can't accept it because he is a cowboy.

Why do I always get eaton alive, for sticking up for my favorite player, plus when I am right. This just makes no sense.

Sheppard also had a better cornerback playing opposite him than Newman did last year, which increases the potential for teams to challenge him, and decreases the potential of teams challenging Newman as much.

And i'm not sure if you realized this, but the Eagles safety support, while better than the Cowboys, wasn't that much better. Lewis stunk it up in coverage and was shown the door, and Considine was consistent ... but nothing special. Brian Dawkins has definitely lost a step in coverage, although he's still solid/good.

Number 10
03-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Maybe because he had a knee injury?

and he could be a #1 on some teams, not all, He was before he got to Dallas.

haha.....

If you think that saying Henry could be a #1 CB on the worst teams in the NFL makes your argument for him stronger, go right ahead. But the fact that COWBOYS fans have been talking about him being moved to FS speaks bigger volumes to me than one of the biggest homers in this board proclaiming him as a good CB.

Go_Eagles77
03-10-2007, 05:50 PM
As for Newman not getting picks, he is thrown at 2.44 times a game, the lowest by far in the NFL, that is why. The next closest is bailey with 4.13.

And Bailey had like 10 ints. If Newman was such a playmaker, he would have been able to make the most out of the few balls thrown to him just like Champ. And we already established that a big reason he was thrown to so rarely was because of the poor play by the rest of the secondary.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 05:51 PM
I agree that there safties weren't that much better.

Hopefully this year with Wade Phillips' new shemes, we will get a lot of pressure, and Newman will get some picks, and finally make his first pro-bowl, even though he should already have been to 2 of them.

This will be Newman's best year, and witht he years he has already had, that is saying something.

As for Newman being in the upper echleon, no, he is top 5, no question. A giants fan has him in his top 3, thats says enough right there.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Bailey also has hands of glue....

TNewFan41
w/e, I'm out, Newman is the best CB in the East, and everyone besides eaglesalltheway, who knows he is anyway, has agreed that Newman is the best, so I am done here.

eaglesalltheway
Um, hopefully this doesn't annoy Eagles fans, but their DL is not that good. That's why they are going into this offseason with the intention of upgrading their DL. Sacks are nice, and the Eagles do a good job at that, but their overall DL play was very spotty at the POA, which exposed their back 7 consistently. I value POA about as much as I value sacks when discussing the relative impact it has on the cornerbacks. Consistent POA at the line opens things up for the defense more, and the Eagles play at the POA was ugly last year, allowing for teams to change and adjust their gameplans.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them add a DE and a DT ... despite drafting DT's early the last 2 years. Sacks are nice, but they don't tell the entire story (btw, Philly had 40 sacks to Dallas' 34, and 6 sacks is not the world's difference, especially when Dallas played better at the POA, which helps the corners).

I'll say it again ... had Anthony Henry been a bit healthier this year, Terence Newman would've been picked on more. But as the season progressed, it was well known that Henry could be attacked, and it was well known that the deep support wasn't there.

By no means am I saying that Newman is bad. I think he's a very good corner, upper echelon in the league (I haven't really thought about where I'd rank him overall, as I haven't really thought about it). But I don't think the coverage skill of Newman is that much better than Sheppard, and I think Lito's playmaking instincts are better and his reactions are better as well.

What the heck does college tapes have to do with their play in the NFL after so many years? I have seen Newman's college tapes when he was coming out. Yes, he can make plays. But I think Lito is the better playmaker in regards to ball skills, anticipation, and instincts.

This wouldn't annoy Eagles fans. I am pretty sure most of us would agree with you actually. We did get pressure, but played horrible at the POA, which is why it was easy for many teams to run on us for most of the year. We do need to bring in a DT and a DE that would be good against the run, so I am in agreemant with you there as well.

Go_Eagles77
03-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I agree that there safties weren't that much better.

Hopefully this year with Wade Phillips' new shemes, we will get a lot of pressure, and Newman will get some picks, and finally make his first pro-bowl, even though he should already have been to 2 of them.

This will be Newman's best year, and witht he years he has already had, that is saying something.

As for Newman being in the upper echleon, no, he is top 5, no question. A giants fan has him in his top 3, thats says enough right there.

Yeah 1 person says he's top 3 so it must mean he is. As I said it's all opinion.

Number 10
03-10-2007, 05:58 PM
w/e, I'm out, Newman is the best CB in the East, and everyone besides eaglesalltheway, who knows he is anyway, has agreed that Newman is the best, so I am done here.

Is it me or does that sentence make absolutely no sense whatsoever?

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 05:58 PM
Okay, a Giants fan has him in the top 3. What's that supposed to mean? Is that the end all and be all of it? I can see top 5 potentially.

Off the top of my head, ecluding Sheppard for now, as that's the debating point, this past year, I think Bailey and McAllister are ahead of the pack. There's a pack of corners after that which I would bunch Newman into. Guys like Asomugha, Mathis (who I think I'd place third), Jammer, Newman, Sheppard. There's a couple other names that could be bunched in there.

I'd say my top 3 this past year at CB would probably be Bailey, McAllister, Mathis in that order. I'd have to think and look over some things later to determine how I'd rank the rest of it. But Newman's definitely top 10, I'd have to think a little more to see if I'd put him top 5.

Go_Eagles77
03-10-2007, 06:01 PM

Actually toonsterwu has said Sheppard is the better overall corner and he is not only completely unbiased but one of the more intelligent posters on this site.

PackerLegend
03-10-2007, 06:01 PM
Who cares what does it matter? How bout someone starts a new thread a broncos fan would be perfect and do Who is the best CB in the NFL? thens lets see how good Newman is if you aint first your nothing.

Damix
03-10-2007, 06:03 PM

This just made your argument that Henry is a good corner worse, Newman wasn't thrown at not because he is so great but because everyone around him is worse.

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 06:05 PM
I would be interested to see how people would rank the CB's. I think my top 5 would be

1. Champ Bailey
2. Chris McAllister
3. Rashean Mathis
4. Nnamdi Asomugha

5. Tough call on the 5th one. Could go a number of ways. Based on last year, tentative nod as of now, for me, might be a mild surprise, but the tentative nod would be, well, this might get some commotion, but Al Harris.

The only two spots I would be solid on (that is, I don't think I'd change my thoughts) would be 1 and 2.

Someone feel free to start a thread or hijack this one, since well, this one has sort of, um, devolved.

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 06:06 PM
This just made your argument that Henry is a good corner worse, Newman wasn't thrown at not because he is so great but because everyone around him is worse.

That's exactly what I was trying to point out in a previous post to him ... whereas, he thought I was referencing playmaking ability, which I wasn't.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Is it me or does that sentence make absolutely no sense whatsoever?

It took a few times to try to figure out what he meant, but I'm not sure he even knows what he is saying at this point.

Damix
03-10-2007, 06:09 PM
That's exactly what I was trying to point out in a previous post to him ... whereas, he thought I was referencing playmaking ability, which I wasn't.

Its gotten to the point where its not worth arguing, when arguably the most intelligent poster when is comes to football disagrees and puts forth a good argument and he can't respond with anything that even comes close to a rebuttal you know something is wrong.

Shiver
03-10-2007, 06:10 PM
This is a example of when defending your team's players goes horrible awry. Now I want to reverse my vote, vote for Lito, just so he cannot brag about being "right."

etk
03-10-2007, 06:11 PM
He is never thrown at, Lito is. What don't you undertand? You can't pick off what isn't there.

Actually a lot of interceptions are made on passes that aren't thrown your way. Usually linebackers and safeties get interceptions that way, but cornerbacks to an extent too. You just can't keep making excuses for Newman. If he was as good as you make him out to be, there would be no excuses or defending to be done.

You can count me on the list of people who don't think he's the best corner in the NFC East (not a good corner division anyway). I'd take Lito Sheppard and his playmaking ball-hawk abilities and put him in the Cover 2.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 06:13 PM
I just realized something to make this whole thread even more useless. TNew started this thread because I made the daring statement that the Eagles CBs were better overall than the Cowboys CBs. I don't know about everyone else, but I find no question in that statement. Should I start a thread about that too? I'm not going to, obviously, (that would be stupid) I am just trying to reiterate how useless this whole thread was and how TNew jumps to conclusions and flips out when someone qustions his beloved Terence Newman.

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 06:14 PM
Based on last year - yes, I would take the Eagles corner tandem over the Cowboys. A healthy Anthony Henry would make things very tight, but I'd like to see how he bounces back, because Henry is 31, and that's an age when some ability starts to get sapped away (granted, it's not as if his speed was the key factor in his play, so it wouldn't be a big determinant).

But based on last year's play, sure, I'd take Lito and Sheldon over Terence and Anthony.

etk
03-10-2007, 06:15 PM
I would be interested to see how people would rank the CB's. I think my top 5 would be

1. Champ Bailey
2. Chris McAllister
3. Rashean Mathis
4. Nnamdi Asomugha

5. Tough call on the 5th one. Could go a number of ways. Based on last year, tentative nod as of now, for me, might be a mild surprise, but the tentative nod would be, well, this might get some commotion, but Al Harris.

The only two spots I would be solid on (that is, I don't think I'd change my thoughts) would be 1 and 2.

Someone feel free to start a thread or hijack this one, since well, this one has sort of, um, devolved.

Sure, let's go for it. Those 4 guys you listed are all great, but once again Ronde Barber does not get enough credit. He doesn't have to be in your top 5 (although Al Harris....) but I'd like some sort of an explanation, at the very least, as to why Ronde is not in your mix for the top 5.

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 06:16 PM
Actually a lot of interceptions are made on passes that aren't thrown your way. Usually linebackers and safeties get interceptions that way, but cornerbacks to an extent too. You just can't keep making excuses for Newman. If he was as good as you make him out to be, there would be no excuses or defending to be done.

You can count me on the list of people who don't think he's the best corner in the NFC East (not a good corner division anyway). I'd take Lito Sheppard and his playmaking ball-hawk abilities and put him in the Cover 2.

Have to say ... I'm not so sure I'd want Lito Sheppard in the cover 2. I think he could do fine, but he's better utilized in man situations. I'd be worried about him breaking away to make plays within the zone concept, which would disrupt the timing of the entire defense.

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Sure, let's go for it. Those 4 guys you listed are all great, but once again Ronde Barber does not get enough credit. He doesn't have to be in your top 5 (although Al Harris....) but I'd like some sort of an explanation, at the very least, as to why Ronde is not in your mix for the top 5.

I love Ronde, as he's a UVA alum, but, while I think Ronde's been underrated for most of his career, I don't believe he's as versatile as the first 4 corners on the board as they all have size/speed ratios that allow them to do a bit more. That said, Ronde would likely be in my top 10 if I thought a bit further, and some of the "negative" comments about Ronde being a system corner isn't really fair because, well, that's the only system he's played in (whereas, Al Harris was there and moved on). But at his age, I'm not sure Ronde can consistently man up as well as the top 4 guys on that list.

etk
03-10-2007, 06:44 PM
I love Ronde, as he's a UVA alum, but, while I think Ronde's been underrated for most of his career, I don't believe he's as versatile as the first 4 corners on the board as they all have size/speed ratios that allow them to do a bit more. That said, Ronde would likely be in my top 10 if I thought a bit further, and some of the "negative" comments about Ronde being a system corner isn't really fair because, well, that's the only system he's played in (whereas, Al Harris was there and moved on). But at his age, I'm not sure Ronde can consistently man up as well as the top 4 guys on that list.

It depends how you view a top 5 list of corners. The way that you define it, Ronde would not be top 5 because he is not versatile enough. IF we separate the discussion into Man, Cover 2, etc. then it's a whole 'nother story. He definitely can't man up as well as those guys but the point I intended to make was that all discussions of great corners and such should involve his name mentioned in some capacity.

toonsterwu
03-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Oh, I agree. A discussion ot top corners in the NFL right now should involve Ronde still, which is a testament to his ability considering his age.

Btw, on a side note, I think Asante Samuel is somewhat getting the Ronde Barber treatment. Now, whether or not Samuel stays as good, who knows, only time will tell.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 07:09 PM
I think Asante Samuel has the ability to be in the top 5 CBs if he keeps improving like he has over the past few years. As of right now, he is in at least my top 15, if not top 10.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-10-2007, 07:11 PM
IMO, I don't put Ronde at the top because he always has a safety over him. A lot of guys in the NFL could perform as well with consistent help over the top, although not as well in the run game or instinctually as Barber. I'd probly hve him top-10 like Toon, maybe a tad lower than him though.

Anyway, this thread makes me want to kill myself. This is absolutely ridiculous. Did Lito get thrown to 6 times more than Newman? Cuz he had six times more picks. He can't be an awesome playmaker with one interception, unless his INT:Thrown to ratio was astronomically high, which it isn't. No wonder you have 3 red bars, you crazy, crazy homer.

eaglesalltheway
03-10-2007, 07:16 PM
IMO, I don't put Ronde at the top because he always has a safety over him. A lot of guys in the NFL could perform as well with consistent help over the top, although not as well in the run game or instinctually as Barber. I'd probly hve him top-10 like Toon, maybe a tad lower than him though.

Anyway, this thread makes me want to kill myself. This is absolutely ridiculous. Did Lito get thrown to 6 times more than Newman? Cuz he had six times more picks. He can't be an awesome playmaker with one interception, unless his INT:Thrown to ratio was astronomically high, which it isn't. No wonder you have 3 red bars, you crazy, crazy homer.

Thats how I feel on the guy, thats why I am just going to take every word this guy says like it just came out of a baby just learning how to talk. You can't understand what they are saying half of the time, and when they say something you can understand, it doesn't make sense anyway.

etk
03-10-2007, 07:21 PM
You gave him 5 minutes to list Newman's college and high school, and it would take him a second to look it up on wikipedia. That just defines him right there, he's too dumb to cheat.

Star Wideout
03-10-2007, 07:27 PM

Ronde Barber is not as good as you make him out to be... he's great in the current Tampa 2 scheme he's in right now but he struggles when he has to man up and cover guys in single man coverage.

He had 1 amazing game against the Eagles where he read 2 plays perfectly which is why he got into the Pro Bowl. Anticipated McNabb making the quick throw to the blitz read, and dropped off his slot man to the outside WR. And second one where he read McNabb perfectly the whole way in his back pedal..instead of playing the WR, and when he saw him drop off the back foot he knew to cut inside the WR.

Other than that he was very average the rest of the year.

Week 8 against the Giants.. Plaxico Burress destroyed him.

1st QTR 2-7-TB7 (3:35) E.Manning pass short left to P.Burress for 7 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
7 yard fade route into the endzone, Ronde had good positioning on inside hip pocket but he failed to turn in time to track the ball, and Burress just made him look silly, one handing the ball over him in the endzone.

2nd QTR 1-10-TB28 (10:19) E.Manning pass deep left to P.Burress to TB 3 for 25 yards
Again Ronde has to single up and play the receiver in man covergae. Plax runs a stop and go route. Barber bites on the move and trails the play by atleast 3 steps, only reason this play wasn't a touchdown was because Eli completely hung the ball up in the air.

He was pretty average in the 2nd Carolina game as well. One of few times he manned up with Steve Smith in single coverage he got exploited for a 36 yard TD.

those are just examples from 2 games.

I'm not trying to bash Ronde, he's a great player has good instincts defending quick passes, solid tackler, and one of the best Corners in reading the QB in his drop from his backpedal..but the scheme covers up his average man to man ability too much.

I think Lito sucks. Maybe it just me, But i think Brown is the second best CB in the NFC...

You are kidding right?

Lito single handedly made game changing plays to help win 2 games for his team. Jumping Bledsoes pass in the endzone and returning it 102 yds to seal the game. Against Carolina with the game on the line, 30 seconds left in the game up by 3 he saves the game by intercepting Delhomme's pass to Keyshawn Johnson on an endzone fade route.

Sheldon Brown had a terrible season on the other hand, even costing the Eagles a game vs. the Giants by giving up a 31 yard TD pass to Plaxico Burress in Overtime back in Week 2.

TNewFan41
03-10-2007, 07:29 PM
You gave him 5 minutes to list Newman's college and high school, and it would take him a second to look it up on wikipedia. That just defines him right there, he's too dumb to cheat.

I already new his college, Kansas State. I didn't know his high school, but I can easily look it up on wikipedia, and it is Central High School in Salina, Kansas. Knowing someones high school of the top of your head is weird.

The only one I can think of right now is Reggie Bush, who went to Helix High.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2007, 10:54 PM
1. Champ
2. McCalister
3. Newman
4. Asomujoah (however you spell it)
5. Mathis

I think the first 3 are pure shut down guys, ie they give up very little catches and are rarely thrown to. Aso is very close to that elite category. But I need to see one more year of it.

Mathis will get beat once in a while, but is probably the 3rd best playmaker of the bunch.

Aso needs another year for validity, but he's top 4 now with potential to be higher.

I would clarify further, but I don't want to drag this thread out longer than it should.

etk
03-10-2007, 11:52 PM
If your reasoning for Mathis is "he will get beat once in a while", then you should say the same for McAlister. I think Mathis gets dumb penalties sometimes, but McAlister really has some games where he completely loses confidence and focus and gets burned badly. It definitely happened too much a couple years ago, and that was the big knock on him. I see him getting burned by CJ again this year.

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 09:58 AM
I agree with ETK that McAlister is more hyped up that he should be. The ravens are probably the best pressuring team in the league, if not then they are atleast top 3. That helps him A LOT. I think he is very overrated. I want to see him without that much pressure, IMO he would be above average at best, no where near pro-bowl level. Nothing really sticks out to me about him.

etk
03-11-2007, 12:18 PM
I agree with ETK that McAlister is more hyped up that he should be. The ravens are probably the best pressuring team in the league, if not then they are atleast top 3. That helps him A LOT. I think he is very overrated. I want to see him without that much pressure, IMO he would be above average at best, no where near pro-bowl level. Nothing really sticks out to me about him.

Shut up about the pressure that's not what I'm talking about with McAlister. Good cornerbacks can succeed without a pass rush, look at Champ Bailey. Champ Bailey doesn't say "I would've had 15 INTs with a good corner next to me and a pass rush". Stop making excuses for Newman and face it, he's not a playmaker and he doesn't get interceptions because of his own problems, not everyone elses.

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 12:21 PM
OMG yea ok. THats why he has had 2 straight 4 INT season, and 3 in one game before. Wow, he didn't have a lot of picks this year, big deal. Picks have nothing to do AT ALL about how good of a CB you are.

This year though, with PRESSURE, which helps a CB a lot, he will have a lot more picks because of wade's schemes.

And you are wrong about good CBs and get by without pressure. If the QB had over 7 seconds, even champ bailey would get owned.

And plaxico burress, not even an elite reciever, made Ronde Barber look like a little girl.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
03-11-2007, 12:31 PM
OMG yea ok. THats why he has had 2 straight 4 INT season, and 3 in one game before. Wow, he didn't have a lot of picks this year, big deal. Picks have nothing to do AT ALL about how good of a CB you are.

This year though, with PRESSURE, which helps a CB a lot, he will have a lot more picks because of wade's schemes.

And you are wrong about good CBs and get by without pressure. If the QB had over 7 seconds, even champ bailey would get owned.

And plaxico burress, not even an elite reciever, made Ronde Barber look like a little girl.

Actually even with an absolutely TERRIBLE D-Line, Champ did not get owned. The QB coulda had a picnic back there, but Champ did not get owned.

Hines
03-11-2007, 01:11 PM
also its kinda easy to get ints when the ball is thrown right into your chest
thats how mr i cant cover roy williams gets his picks
they r thrown right at him in his chest
im not sayin that newman isnt good cuz he is
but u r makin him liek the next deion or somethin liek that
get over the fact that he isnt
and that the cowgirls r gonna suck once again

etk
03-11-2007, 01:26 PM

You are a little girl, I think everyone on this forum knows this. Burress did not abuse Ronde, every cornerback gets passes caught over their head, there's nothing they can do about it. Terence Newman would be lucky to have a career and a reputation like Ronde, because he turns 29 before the season and he will soon be entering the twilight of his career as a man-to-man cornerback after entering the league at the ripe age of 25. Lito Sheppard, on the other hand, is 25 to this date.

etk
03-11-2007, 01:27 PM
also its kinda easy to get ints when the ball is thrown right into your chest
thats how mr i cant cover roy williams gets his picks
they r thrown right at him in his chest
im not sayin that newman isnt good cuz he is
but u r makin him liek the next deion or somethin liek that
get over the fact that he isnt
and that the cowgirls r gonna suck once again

If he was the next Deion it would have happened already, because he is already past his NFL prime as far as age goes for cornerbacks. TNewFan's arguments are ridiculous.

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 01:30 PM
I never said newman was the next deion, I said his playing style is just like deions, and Newman hasn't past his prime, he has barely entered it, he is turning 29, so what. He came into the league at 25. And Barber and Walt Harris just made the pro-bowl at 32, although Barber didn't deserve it. Newman's best year will probably be this year, and more years down the road, because we will have pressure.

Newman took at a year off from college, and redshirted, he probably stayed back too, that is why he is older, although 29 is still really young for a CB.

Ronde Barber is nothing special, and shouldn't have been in the pro-bowl last year. You are a bucs fan, so you won't admit it, but it is pretty true.

I love how everyone just gangs up on me, oh well, it is actually kind of fun.

etk
03-11-2007, 01:37 PM
How can you say Ronde is nothing special? If Terence Newman was our CB instead of him we would have given up huge touchdowns off of his missed tackles and he wouldn't have jumped those 2 passes against McNabb, losing us the game. Just because he has different talents doesn't make him any less deserving. If anything he deserved to make it over Walt Harris.

Everyone gangs up on you because every word that comes out of your mouth is wrong and you are an idiot. When will you just shut up instead of pissing off more people with your ludicrous comments about some of the best and most-respected players in the league.

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2007, 01:52 PM
I never said newman was the next deion, I said his playing style is just like deions, and Newman hasn't past his prime, he has barely entered it, he is turning 29, so what. He came into the league at 25. And Barber and Walt Harris just made the pro-bowl at 32, although Barber didn't deserve it. Newman's best year will probably be this year, and more years down the road, because we will have pressure.

Newman took at a year off from college, and redshirted, he probably stayed back too, that is why he is older, although 29 is still really young for a CB.

Ronde Barber is nothing special, and shouldn't have been in the pro-bowl last year. You are a bucs fan, so you won't admit it, but it is pretty true.

I love how everyone just gangs up on me, oh well, it is actually kind of fun.

Everyone gangs up on you, TNewFan41, because you are a jackass and act like you know everything.

Hines
03-11-2007, 02:01 PM
Everyone gangs up on you, TNewFan41, because you are a jackass and act like you know everything.

thats right
like i said hes just bitter that romo ruined it for them in the playoffs

jetsfan3
03-11-2007, 02:11 PM
thats right
like i said hes just bitter that romo ruined it for them in the playoffs
How can he blame Romo entirely, what about Terry Glenn?

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2007, 02:22 PM
How can he blame Romo entirely, what about Terry Glenn?

What about Terry Glenn? I can't find anything wrong with what he did.

bigbluedefense
03-11-2007, 02:27 PM
What about Terry Glenn? I can't find anything wrong with what he did.

He fumbled on the 2 yard line, what essentially became a free 7 point play for the Hawks.

I think he fumbled in the redzone once as well.

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Wow, two in a row, that is such a long streak. I doubt he would be able to catch two balls thrown right at him in a row. If it wouldn't have been for that one game, like you said, it would have been a whopping one year in a row. So if you wipe out one game for Newman, he has 6 picks in the last three years. That is at least 40 games. Lito had that many picks in twelve games this year. You just made yourself look even more like a jackass with that statement.

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2007, 02:29 PM
He fumbled on the 2 yard line, what essentially became a free 7 point play for the Hawks.

Oops, completely forgot about that.

dc4life
03-11-2007, 02:32 PM

One of his fumbles led to a safety and the ball back, and on the last play of the game he made no effort on the hail mary pass. The ball was tipped around in the endzone and if he dove for it, he could of had it.

zCaddyz
03-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Mr. Barber has 20int and 20sacks what other cb can say that Mr. Barber is in the top 5 cbs

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Mr. Barber has 20int and 20sacks what other cb can say that Mr. Barber is in the top 5 cbs

It is pointless to argue with this guy. TNewFan41 will say you are wrong if you say the sky is blue and the grass is green, and then get pissed off when you say he is wrong.

TNewFan41
03-12-2007, 07:55 AM

Yes, he WAS a great CB. He isn't that great anymore. Well atleast he wasn't last tear, and should not have been in the pro-bowl. I believe everyne will agree on that. Maybe he will bounce back this year, mayeb not, we will see. I never said he wasn't good in his career, I said he wasn't good LAST YEAR, which he wasn't.

And Eaglesalltheway, you are the same as me, you won't change your mind that newman is the best CB, even though he is, because you are stubborn like me. And I will change my mind on some things, but Newman is definitly the best CB in the NFC East, no doubt about it.

Jughead10
03-12-2007, 09:54 AM
E.J. Underwood. Discuss amongst yourselves.

Vikes99ej
03-12-2007, 09:55 AM
You can't say that Ronde Barber is not a good CB.

toonsterwu
03-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Just to note, I believe Terence Newman was held back one year, I think middle school, although not certain, which contributes to him being older.

etk
03-12-2007, 10:31 AM
Yes, he WAS a great CB. He isn't that great anymore. Well atleast he wasn't last tear, and should not have been in the pro-bowl. I believe everyne will agree on that. Maybe he will bounce back this year, mayeb not, we will see. I never said he wasn't good in his career, I said he wasn't good LAST YEAR, which he wasn't.

And Eaglesalltheway, you are the same as me, you won't change your mind that newman is the best CB, even though he is, because you are stubborn like me. And I will change my mind on some things, but Newman is definitly the best CB in the NFC East, no doubt about it.

He was great last year, what is your reasoning for saying last year he wasn't, seeing as he has been consistently been playing at an elite level and last year was no different. Just because our whole team struggled doesn't mean he played any different, same with Derrick Brooks. Our poor record had nothing to do with those 2 men, and I am just assuming that is your reasoning for saying Ronde was not good last year, seeing as you gave absolutely no explanation. Either that, or it's because of 2 plays against Plaxico Burress, and for a cornerback like Ronde Barber, you can't say he had a bad year because of 2 plays against a big receiver that can jump over him. Plax can jump over anyone in the league, and I'm sure if I looked up some game tape I would see Newman getting victimized in the same way.

Jughead10
03-12-2007, 10:37 AM
He was great last year, what is your reasoning for saying last year he wasn't, seeing as he has been consistently been playing at an elite level and last year was no different. Just because our whole team struggled doesn't mean he played any different, same with Derrick Brooks. Our poor record had nothing to do with those 2 men, and I am just assuming that is your reasoning for saying Ronde was not good last year, seeing as you gave absolutely no explanation. Either that, or it's because of 2 plays against Plaxico Burress, and for a cornerback like Ronde Barber, you can't say he had a bad year because of 2 plays against a big receiver that can jump over him. Plax can jump over anyone in the league, and I'm sure if I looked up some game tape I would see Newman getting victimized in the same way.

Even Bailey. Who some consider the best CB in the league. When Plax wants to play, he is one of the toughest matchups for any CB in the league. He abused Bailey in 2005 in the comeback win for the G-Men.

zCaddyz
03-12-2007, 02:28 PM
Ronde played some man to man last year too ppls, even the best get done in i cant remeber what year but chad johnson burnt champ made him look like a chump

bsaza2358
03-12-2007, 03:50 PM
What does discussion of Ronde Barber have to do with the best CB in the NFC East?

bsaza2358
03-12-2007, 03:52 PM
I think Terrence Newman is the best cover corner in the NFC East, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's the best CB. Before this past year, I would have given the nod to Shawn Springs, who had been maddeningly consistent in coverage and tackling. IMO, Sheldon Brown has been the best run-stopping CB, but his pass coverage last year was attrocious at times.

Given that Newman's tackling is not terrible, just average, I think he is the most complete CB. Of course, Sheldon and Lito are excellent as well, while Springs is also good. Anthony Henry is horribly overrated IMO.

TNewFan41
03-12-2007, 03:54 PM
What does discussion of Ronde Barber have to do with the best CB in the NFC East?

ETK is saying Ronde played great last year and was better than Newman, which are both WAY wrong.

TNewFan41
03-12-2007, 04:00 PM
I think Terrence Newman is the best cover corner in the NFC East, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's the best CB. Before this past year, I would have given the nod to Shawn Springs, who had been maddeningly consistent in coverage and tackling. IMO, Sheldon Brown has been the best run-stopping CB, but his pass coverage last year was attrocious at times.

Given that Newman's tackling is not terrible, just average, I think he is the most complete CB. Of course, Sheldon and Lito are excellent as well, while Springs is also good. Anthony Henry is horribly overrated IMO.

I agree with everything you said, except Henry being overated, I think he is underrated, and a solid CB. Anyway, Newman does have average tackling, but he can lay the wood, look at his hit on Reggie Bush. Granted Sheldon Brown's was insane, but Newmans was good as well. Although, I do think Lito is alittle overrated, but he still is a good CB. And shwan springs is way past his prime, and it showed last year. I think this year will determine if Newman is a playmaker, or just a shutdown CB that doesn't make plays, because we should, and the key word is SHOULD, have a lot of pressure because of Wade Phillips' new defensive schemes and blitzes.

But even without making alot of of big plays, he is still the best CB of the bunch.

And they you for being an honest eagles fan and admitting it.

By the way, what do you think of lost. I told you Desomnd would stay alive, haha!

bigmac076
03-12-2007, 04:03 PM
I dont know why you put Anthony Henry on the poll if your trying to make a case for Newman.

TNewFan41
03-12-2007, 04:16 PM
I dont know why you put Anthony Henry on the poll if your trying to make a case for Newman.

I accendently put 5 options, not 4, and he is better than anyone on the giants, so I put Henry.

terribletowel39
03-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Leigh Bodden is second best CB in the north, possibly Deltha O'Neal because of his playmaking ability.

it's deshea townsend.

etk
03-12-2007, 04:31 PM
I accendently put 5 options, not 4, and he is better than anyone on the giants, so I put Henry.

He is not better than Carlos Rogers, although that isn't saying much.

etk
03-12-2007, 04:34 PM
ETK is saying Ronde played great last year and was better than Newman, which are both WAY wrong.

Ronde did play great last year, and he was more deserving to be in the Pro Bowl than Walt Harris & Terence Newman. Why do you keep making a fool of yourself, not only are your statements wrong and stupid, but when you say them you make them as bold and bad as possible. Look at those last 3 words

mtmock
03-12-2007, 05:29 PM
By a statistic point of view..
NFC East
-----------
Terrence Newman : 61 Tackles 1 INT
Anthony Henry : 81 Tackles 2 INT
Lito Sheppard : 30 Tackles 6 INT
Sheldon Brown : 52 Tackles 1 INT
Sam Madison : 39 Tackles 2 INTs
R.W. Mcquarters : 55 Tackles 1 FF 2 INTs
Shawn Springs : 38 Tackles 1 INT
Fred Smoot : 63 Tackles 2 FF 1 INT
Carlos Rogers : 78 Tackles 1 FF 1 INT

Lito Sheppard in my opinion, is the best in the NFC East.. He has the most INTs out of all of them and I think he missed a few games.

As for NFC CBs i'd rank them by 1. Barber 2. Hall. 3. Sheppard. 4. Newman 5. Lucas?

so int's make a CB the best that's a dumb statement...Newman has allowed 1 TD to his guys in the last 2 years! thats amazing...int's means the ball is thrown that way more Newman doesn't get as many chances he never sees the ball comin his way...its true cause i believe Roy williams had 6 int's and he ain't good at coverin.

Shiver
03-12-2007, 05:31 PM
so int's make a CB the best that's a dumb statement...Newman has allowed 1 TD to his guys in the last 2 years! thats amazing...int's means the ball is thrown that way more Newman doesn't get as many chances he never sees the ball comin his way...its true cause i believe Roy williams had 6 int's and he ain't good at coverin.

He allowed three late last year, four if you ignore a holding penalty calling back one.

1 given up to Reggie Wayne
1 given up to Ashley Lelie
1 given up to Michael Jenkins
1 given up to Mike Williams

Damix
03-12-2007, 05:32 PM

Lito doesn't have the ball thrown to him 6x more then Newman.

eaglesalltheway
03-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Based on Shiver's popst^^^Except for Wayne, all three of those guys are not all that good, and one of them sucks. So much for that argument.

Geo
03-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Was Newman playing when Reggie Wayne scored his TD? I know Kelvin Hayden knocked him out (concussion?) on special teams in the initial minutes of the game, but can't remember if Newman came back before or after halftime. Monster hit by Hayden, that was.

Btw this thread has inspired me to put together a Top 10 list of today's cornerbacks. I have my ten, but don't feel comfortable with who goes where just yet. I'll post it once that is the case.

Shiver
03-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Was Newman playing when Reggie Wayne scored his TD? I know Kelvin Hayden knocked him out (concussion?) on special teams in the initial minutes of the game, but can't remember if Newman came back before or after halftime. Monster hit by Hayden, that was.

Btw this thread has inspired me to put together a Top 10 list of today's cornerbacks. I have my ten, but don't feel comfortable with who goes where just yet. I'll post it once that is the case.

Yeah, Newman was jacked up, but he came back. Though the hit may have led to his lapse in coverage. My point is; every single man-to-man cover corner has bad stretches.

Newman in December
Hall in November
Clements in '05
Bailey in '04

It just happens sometimes.

dc4life
03-12-2007, 05:49 PM

Yeah he was playing. The way I remember it was, two WRs were bunched up to Peyton's left. One was definately Wayne and the other might have been Harrison. Anyways, Newman was on Wayne, Henry on Harrison. Newman thought the Colts were running a screen or a quick pass to Harrison, and went for the pick, but Reggie Wayne ran straight down the field for an easy touchdown burning Keith Davis.

I might be wrong here, cause I haven't seen any footage of the Colts@Dallas game since game day. So I might be a little off.

Hines
03-12-2007, 05:56 PM
it's deshea townsend.

ha u cant be jokin lol
its either ike or bmac lol

Flyboy
03-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Why is this even a topic? Terence Newman, easily and this is coming from someone who can't stand the Cowboys.

niel89
03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Why is this even a topic? Terence Newman, easily and this is coming from someone who can't stand the Cowboys.

it is a little debate eaglesalltheway and I are having about who is the best.

eaglesalltheway
03-12-2007, 08:52 PM
it is a little debate eaglesalltheway and I are having about who is the best.

Whoa... Let me clear something up here. I had nothing to do with them starting this thread. I told them in another thread that the Eagles CBs were better than the Dallas CBs, and they automatically flipped out and started PMing me about how Terence Newman is better and how the Cowboys are better. In fact, I beleive it was TNewFan41 who started both of the useless threads that include this one and the one about the best team in the NFC East. Don't get me included in this, I had nothing to do with these idiots starting these threads.

etk
03-12-2007, 09:02 PM
Sheldon Brown & Lito Sheppard>>>>>>>Anthony Henry & Terence Newman

Paul
03-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Sheldon Brown & Lito Sheppard(Less than or equal to)Anthony Henry & Terence Newman

Fixed.

Stupid 10 character rule.

etk
03-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Fixed.

I'm sorry but Anthony Henry just completely ruins that tandem, even when he's healthy.

KWill93
03-12-2007, 11:05 PM
Newman with Lito being a VERY close 2nd.

eaglesalltheway
03-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Fixed.

Sorry Paul, but our CBs are much better thsn your CBs even when all are healthy.

Paul
03-13-2007, 12:22 PM
yeah I know, just wanted to jump in.

niel89
03-13-2007, 01:01 PM
man newman is so good. he should already be in the HOF

etk
03-13-2007, 01:05 PM
The HOF isn't good enough for Newman. They need to make a new Hall exclusive for the best player's to ever play their position, like Terence Newman. If Jerry Rice puts in a good campaign they make consider him to be almost on the same level as Newman, but Newman would shut him down in his prime.

hugepunch
03-13-2007, 01:08 PM
The HOF isn't good enough for Newman. They need to make a new Hall exclusive for the best player's to ever play their position, like Terence Newman. If Jerry Rice puts in a good campaign they make consider him to be almost on the same level as Newman, but Newman would shut him down in his prime.

i heard jerry jones is erecting a statue of terrence newman made out of silver in front of the new stadium .

eaglesalltheway
03-13-2007, 03:27 PM
i heard jerry jones is erecting a statue of terrence newman made out of silver in front of the new stadium .

Silver isn't good enough for Newman, it should be pure gold.

bsaza2358
03-13-2007, 03:38 PM
Wait, no love for Corey Webster? hahahaha

FloridaFootball
03-13-2007, 04:29 PM
Lito Sheppard definitly, lets break it down
Man Coverge (Terrible, bad, averge,good, great)
Sheppard:Great
Newman:Great
Speed
Tackling
Sheppard:Averge
Newman:Good
Instincts on the Ball
Zone Coverge
Newman:Good (Sheldon Brown is the best hitting/ tackling CB in the NFL)

bsaza2358
03-13-2007, 04:31 PM
When healthy, Lito Sheppard is an excellent CB, but he has gotten dinged quite a bit. It's hard to really say who is better. I like the Eagles tandem quite a bit. Newman is a very good player, but there are other CB's who are better in other divisions.

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 04:32 PM
Lito Sheppard definitly, lets break it down
Man Coverge (Terrible, bad, averge,good, great)
Speed
Tackling
Sheppard:Averge
Instincts on the Ball
Zone Coverge
Newman:Good (Sheldon Brown is the best hitting/ tackling CB in the NFL)

The way you broke it down they are even..............lol.

Newman is a better cover CB, Lito is more of a half man-to-man, half zone CB, who gets alot of easy picks. Personally, and KillerSanta feels the same, I don't think Lito SHeppard is even a good CB. I think he is above average on a good day.

Oh and you left out 1 thing:

Man-to-man coverage:
Newman: Great
Sheppard: Average

FLORIDA PACKER
03-13-2007, 04:33 PM
I think Sheldon Brown is better than any of the other corners in the East, the guy isn't a big play man, but he gets the job done.

bsaza2358
03-13-2007, 04:36 PM
Well, if TNew and Killer Santa agree that Lito Sheppard is not a very good CB, it must be the truth. The Twin Pillars of Football Integrity have spoken!

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 04:39 PM
OMG you guys are so ***, why do you always do that crap to me, go do it to someone else.

bsaza2358
03-13-2007, 04:40 PM
What crap? You have a huge mancrush on Terrence Newman, and it means you have no credibility when discussing him in relation to anyone else. At least you tried to compare/contrast to everyone else in the division. I'll give you that. Still, if you're not going to listen, why try to have a discussion?

slightlyaraiderfan
03-13-2007, 04:40 PM
OMG you guys are so ***, why do you always do that crap to me, go do it to someone else.
You kind of brought this on yourself.

bsaza2358
03-13-2007, 04:41 PM
If you mean negative rep points, I did not negative rep you. I don't think you're killing the forum. You're just a big homer and are biased about your team and your mancrush on TNew.

slightlyaraiderfan
03-13-2007, 04:44 PM
If you mean negative rep points, I did not negative rep you. I don't think you're killing the forum. You're just a big homer and are biased about your team and your mancrush on TNew.
That's the funny part, he got all those -rep from Cowboy fans. Even they think he's a huge homer.

Shiver
03-13-2007, 04:49 PM
No fan-base wants a giant homer. It hurts the whole group if one guy P'Os everyone else on the forum by being an ignorant douchebag.

bsaza2358
03-13-2007, 04:49 PM
That's hilarious... Side question: How many negative rep points will it take before someone either gives up or is locked/banned?

bsaza2358
03-13-2007, 04:50 PM
I don't think TNew is ignorant. He's just short-sighted, doesn't know enough to keep up with the rest of us, and has shown no interest in learning or growing as a fan of the game...

Oh wait, that makes him a stubborn, indifferent, ignorant douche...

hugepunch
03-13-2007, 04:53 PM
I don't think TNew is ignorant. He's just short-sighted, doesn't know enough to keep up with the rest of us, and has shown no interest in learning or growing as a fan of the game...

Oh wait, that makes him a stubborn, indifferent, ignorant douche...
hahahahah, i seriously love tnew now lol. hes funny as hell. i cant take him seriously anymore.

Shiver
03-13-2007, 04:54 PM
You guys should see him troll the Falcons board, saying DeAngelo Hall is a bad corner, out of the blue, for no reason at all. In threads that have nothing to do with Hall, at that! Newman was a snub, he should have made the pro-bowl, blah, blah, blah. As if the Pro-Bowl actually means anything substantial.

hugepunch
03-13-2007, 04:58 PM
You guys should see him troll the Falcons board, saying DeAngelo Hall is a bad corner, out of the blue, for no reason at all. In threads that have nothing to do with Hall, at that! Newman was a snub, he should have made the pro-bowl, blah, blah, blah. As if the Pro-Bowl actually means anything substantial.
hahahah, oh man im seriously laughing out loud...id give u rep but i gave out to much today on this thread.

Go_Eagles77
03-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Who would win in a fight between Terence Newman and God?

It was a trick question, Terence Newman is god.

slightlyaraiderfan
03-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Who would win in a fight between Terence Newman and God?

It was a trick question, Terence Newman is god.
+ Rep for bringing this thread to it's intended purpose.

bsaza2358
03-13-2007, 05:07 PM
The Pro Bowl is nice, but often times players get elected there who don't deserve it. See: Tony Romo (2007), Mike Vick and McNabb some years, Larry Allen the last few times he went, Flozell Adams any time, Warren Sapp for the last few times. Historically, fan favorites have coasted in while deserving players didn't get to go. It is a shame.

bsaza2358
03-13-2007, 05:08 PM
+ rep for making me spit water all over my desk...

etk
03-13-2007, 05:32 PM
The Pro Bowl is nice, but often times players get elected there who don't deserve it. See: Tony Romo (2007), Mike Vick and McNabb some years, Larry Allen the last few times he went, Flozell Adams any time, Warren Sapp for the last few times. Historically, fan favorites have coasted in while deserving players didn't get to go. It is a shame.

You just said half the Cowboys didn't deserve to go. Luckily TNewFan is the only fan of the 'Boys here, and the only Cowboy he cares about is Newman. Speaking of which Newman is the greatest snub in Pro Bowl history and he was the only NFC corner that deserved to be there. In fact, he should've been by himself covering all WRs at the same time!

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 07:05 PM
I 100% agree that Romo didn't deserve to be there. Fan Favorites and players that get a bunch of publicity (a la Tony Romo and DeAngelo Hall) alwasy get in because of voters who see them in the headlines. That is why fans shouldn't vote.

I will not deny that, but Newman definitly deserved a pro-bowl bid this year, and should h ave been the #1 CB at that. He definitly had a better season than all of the 3 that got in, and then Walt Harris got the 1st alterante. That goes to show that all people vote on is INT's which is stupid. But D-Hall is just one of the biggest injustices in all of sports. He didn't even deserve to start on a regular team, let alone the pro-bowl.

dcarey20
03-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Yeah I think its pretty easily Terrence Newman, though he does get overhyped by Dallas fans.

TNewFan41
03-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Thank you.

GermanSaint
03-13-2007, 08:23 PM
lito or brown , nothin from the other has the talent level like them

bsaza2358
03-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Hope this doesn't stir up the debate too badly, but I agree that Terrence Newman deserved to be in the Pro Bowl this year. I also believe that DeAngelo Hall had a pretty terrible year and did not deserve to go.

portermvp84
03-14-2007, 09:51 AM
The only way I see Sheppard stats being better is he had more picks but fewer tackles. I voted for Newman.

bsaza2358
03-14-2007, 09:55 AM
CB is a position that is often judged by a lack of statistics. INT's are good, but if you do your job, you will have very few tackles and a few INT's. The sign of a good CB is an absence of statistics...

Go_Eagles77
03-14-2007, 10:02 AM
CB is a position that is often judged by a lack of statistics. INT's are good, but if you do your job, you will have very few tackles and a few INT's. The sign of a good CB is an absence of statistics...

Yeah tackles aren't a good way of measuring cornerbacks.

etk
03-14-2007, 10:35 AM
In a Cover 2, good cornerbacks will make plays and get good statistics. Ronde Barber's high tackle output shows how good he is at pursuit and coming up in run support.

duckseason
03-14-2007, 10:46 AM
Yeah tackles aren't a good way of measuring cornerbacks.
I agree. CB stats are the most misleading of all. Calculators are for baseball. Paying attention during games to find out first-hand whether or not a CB can make difficult tackles is a task that most fans find too daunting to undertake. I think Newman is a bit underrated in this regard. His run support/play-making ability in the flats is matched by only a handful. Most people just see his lean stature, and lack of total tackles and assume he must struggle. But people who pay close attention realize that he rarely misses a tackle at all, and he has never been apprehensive when sticking his nose in there. Some fail to realize that he doesn't have a large number of tackles down the field, because teams rarely complete deep balls on him. It's more likely that he'll chase someone down from behind. Which is another area where he is underrated. He is almost never mentioned as one of the NFL's fastest men. But if you pay attention, he's on your short list. He really is one of the most underrated players in the league. Although many on this forum will say that he's overrated because he's talked about so much around here (thanks to balaskonis/tnewfan41.) CB's are very difficult to evaluate/rank for the average fan, but from what I've seen, there is only 1 guy I'd rather have on my team. Champ is the best, but who else out there is definitively better than Newman? I mean, what more can we ask of the guy? To have a big mouth?

bsaza2358
03-14-2007, 11:01 AM
I think KC Joyner, the Football Scientist, does a lot of statistical analysis that are good measures of efficiency and quality. I think one of his statistics for CB's is passing yards allowed per attempt. It is a good way to measure how good a CB is in coverage (tight coverage, quickness to tackle, tackling ability). I don't have access to the full information, but I know Newman has a very solid purely statistical season.

Hines
08-04-2007, 12:10 PM
oh man im sorry i read this whole thing and i had to bring it back up hahaha..

EdReedUnstoppable
08-04-2007, 12:55 PM

AFC
----

NFC
----
South - Lucas(Hall 2nd?)

Allow me to steal your idea..

AFC:

East - Terrence McGee (2nd Asante Samuel)
West - Champ Bailey (2nd Dre Bly)
South - Rashean Mathis (2nd Dunta Robinson)
North - Chris McAlister (2nd Deltha O'Neal)

NFC:

East - Lito Sheppard (2nd Terrance Newman)
West - Nate Clements (2nd Marcus Trufant)
South - Ken Lucas (2nd Chris Gamble)
North - Antoine Winfield (2nd Charles Woodson)

Go_Eagles77
08-04-2007, 01:02 PM
I don't think O'Neal is 2nd in the AFC North, I'd take Ike Taylor, Jonathan Joseph, Leigh Bodden, and Samari Rolle over him.

HerthaFootballFan
08-04-2007, 02:22 PM
If Sheldon Brown were 6'0" he'd be the guy, as it is Newman's the best.

TheChampIsHere
08-04-2007, 02:27 PM
tough call between Lito and TNew but Ill say TNew, he has less big play spark but also gives up less and is better tackler/more physical player

TheChampIsHere
08-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Ronde Barber is an All-Pro corner. I think that defines him as great, without even looking at his exceptional play. The stats were just facts to back up my point. Stats mean nothing for CBs, but I think you can get a good idea of why Terence Newman is not nearly as good as Ronde by his stats and also you can see why he didn't make the Pro Bowl.

63 tackles and 1 INT don't exactly scream Pro Bowl, do they? Anthony Henry is a better corner than Juran Bolden too, so Newman probably gets more passes thrown his way, which means he should get more than 1 pick and 11 passes defensed.

Edit: Stats may mean "nothing", but why do all the great corners like Ronde, Champ & formerly Ty Law seem to always put up great stats?

well, with CBs there are two stats that they generally get, tackles and INTs. Ballhawk CBs generally get INTs, and tackles is a tough stat to measure because it could mean that a player is very active against the run, some like Winfield, or it could mean they are getting a lot of passes thrown at them and they get caught and then make the tackle (someone awful like Jason Webster who usually has a lot of tackles but just sucks)....But there are great CBs who dont fill up a stat sheet. Guys like Terrence Newman, or Charles Woodson back when he was on the Raiders...Guys who play great coverage and dont get thrown on much. Just because they dont get INTs doesnt mean you can disregard them. I realize INTs is important because it means you have the skill of making big plays, but a lot of CBs who get a lot of INTs tend to give up big plays also, guys like Dre Bly who gamble a lot.

TheChampIsHere
08-04-2007, 02:36 PM
AFC:

East - Assante Samuel (2nd Ellis Hobbs?)
West - Champ Bailey (2nd Nmandhi Asomugha)
South - Rashean Mathis (2nd Pac-Man if we wanna count him)
North - Chris McAlister (2nd Jonathan Joseph)

NFC:

East - Terrence Newman (2nd Lito Shephard)
West - Nate Clements (2nd Marcus Trufant)
South - Ken Lucas (2nd DeAngelo Hall)
North - Antoine Winfield (2nd Charles Woodson)

Go_Eagles77
08-04-2007, 02:58 PM
NFC East (Including Nickel CBs)

1. Terence Newman
2. Lito Sheppard
3. Sheldon Brown
4. Shawn Springs
5. Carlos Rogers
6. Sam Madison
7. Anthony Henry
8. Fred Smoot
9. Cory Webster
10. Will James
11. Aaron Glenn
12. Aaron Ross

Turtlepower
08-04-2007, 03:01 PM

1. Terence Newman
2. Lito Sheppard
3. Sheldon Brown
4. Shawn Springs
5. Carlos Rogers
6. Sam Madison
7. Anthony Henry
8. Fred Smoot
9. Cory Webster
10. Will James
11. Aaron Glenn
12. Aaron Ross

I hate Lito Shepard, so much. He always gives the Giants receivers fits. I know this is homerish, but I believe that Aaron Ross will turn out to be a great cover corner. I love his physicality with receivers and his football IQ is through the roof.

skinzzfan25
08-04-2007, 03:01 PM

1. Terence Newman
2. Lito Sheppard
3. Sheldon Brown
4. Shawn Springs
5. Carlos Rogers
6. Sam Madison
7. Anthony Henry
8. Fred Smoot
9. Cory Webster
10. Will James
11. Aaron Glenn
12. Aaron Ross

Nice list, very accurate.

Shiver
08-04-2007, 03:06 PM
I don't think O'Neal is 2nd in the AFC North, I'd take Ike Taylor, Jonathan Joseph, Leigh Bodden, and Samari Rolle over him.

Leigh Bodden is a really underrated player. Samari Rolle has been lousy for the past two, three years actually.

Best Corner by division:

AFC East - Asante Samuel
AFC North - Chris McAllister
AFC South - Rashean Mathis
AFC West - Champ Bailey
NFC East - Lito Sheppard
NFC North - Al Harris
NFC South - Mike McKenzie
NFC West - Nate Clements

My NFC List will be different from a lot of people, since I am reliant upon Pro Football Prospectus for my corner rankings, since the position is so subjective.

Go_Eagles77
08-04-2007, 03:11 PM
I hate Lito Shepard, so much. He always gives the Giants receivers fits. I know this is homerish, but I believe that Aaron Ross will turn out to be a great cover corner. I love his physicality with receivers and his football IQ is through the roof.

I like Aaron Ross a lot too, I just couldn't put him higher because he's an unproven rookie, he could be one of the best in the division in a few years.

08-04-2007, 03:12 PM
T-New in the NFC East is the best. He doesn't get any hype because he doesn't do dumb dances like what Chad Johnson does for himself in order to get hyped.

hornybastard
08-04-2007, 03:22 PM
Newman has put a number on us in the past so I would say him. Engram has burned Lito bad a couple of times before.