PDA

View Full Version : Garcia: Raiders in 'unfortunate situation'

Saints 4 Lyfe
10-04-2009, 12:29 AM
Free agent Jeff Garcia felt the need to get away from the Oakland Raiders.

After a short stint with the Philadelphia Eagles, it's more than apparent why.

Garcia
"I have no problem going into a situation and helping a young guy out and really trying to help the team out overall more so than anything," Garcia said Friday during an appearance on Fox Sports Radio, referring to Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell. "I just feel like it's an unfortunate situation when the entire work ethic and the entire goal of the team is really put upon one guy's shoulder."

Garcia, 39, who was cut last month by the Eagles only weeks after his release from the Raiders, with whom he signed in April, said despite Russell's talent, he "really isn't maybe ready for that situation or ready to take on that sort of responsibility."

"When you put him on the field in a one-on-one workout session he'll make every throw for you," Garcia said during the radio show. "But when it comes down to making things happen in the heat of the battle and rallying the troops around you and making a case for the team, that's where maybe things aren't where they need to be."

With Russell slumping -- he has an NFL-worst 39.8 pass rating -- Garcia could've been an option for the Raiders to re-sign.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4528142

Saints-Tigers
10-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Could be the problem. He finished strong last year, and maybe the expectations are getting to him. There is really no other explanation for this regression in accuracy.

General Zod
10-04-2009, 12:34 AM
Im guessing the Raiders will now ban Garcia like they did with Gannon. :-)

WMD
10-04-2009, 12:40 AM
When will it be Gradkowski's turn??

Raiderz4Life
10-04-2009, 12:43 AM
I hope soon....*sigh*...maybe I should go back into my Raiders fan hiatus

nobodyinparticular
10-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Could be the problem. He finished strong last year, and maybe the expectations are getting to him. There is really no other explanation for this regression in accuracy.

He also got a new QB coach (again). And they re-worked his mechanics again. And he has all rookie WRs. I don't know...

K.C. Joyner thought he was prepped for a breakout season this season too so it wasn't just wishful Raider fans. The most incredible thing is not that he is struggling but that he regressed.

No one can truly take the blame for Russell sucking so bad in his first 3 games of the season. That falls on him. But I just don't understand what's going on.

CC.SD
10-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Im guessing the Raiders will now ban Garcia like they did with Gannon. :-)

They should start banning other nfl teams and schedule home and homes with NCAA squads.

Giantsfan1080
10-04-2009, 01:16 AM
They should start banning other nfl teams and schedule home and homes with NCAA squads.

Who are you kidding. USC would beat the Raiders most years. :)

Forenci
10-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Is it just me or after reading that does anyone else think it's pretty classless by Garcia? Seems like the typical, "Oh well they cut me and now I want to take my shot at them".

He tries to act rather nonchalant in saying 'well I tried to help change the dynamics, blah blah blah' and says they basically don't give a damn. I don't know. He wasn't really blatantly 'ripping' into them like the article said but I still think it's pretty weak on Garcia's part.

NIN1984
10-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Russell has looked beyond awful this season. I don't care who the coach is or how many rookies WRs are on the field, he needs to play better.

vs SD 12-30, 208 yards, 1td 2int 47.6 rating
vs KC 7-24, 109 yards, 0td 0int 46.0 rating
vs DEN 12-21, 61 yards, 0td 2int 22.6 rating

WTF? I'm guessing Oakland is 1-7 heading into the bye week and than Al will have to bench JaMarcus, this is just insane. What really blows is Russell actually started to look good at the end of last season.

Giantsfan1080
10-04-2009, 01:35 AM
Is it just me or after reading that does anyone else think it's pretty classless by Garcia? Seems like the typical, "Oh well they cut me and now I want to take my shot at them".

He tries to act rather nonchalant in saying 'well I tried to help change the dynamics, blah blah blah' and says they basically don't give a damn. I don't know. He wasn't really blatantly 'ripping' into them like the article said but I still think it's pretty weak on Garcia's part.

I thought it was sour grapes for sure.

RaiderNation
10-04-2009, 02:36 AM
In a perfect world we wouldnt have played Russell until next year. He is only 23 right now and is clearly not a starting QB. If we would have waited he might have been a good Qb right now. I hope we didnt mess him up, he looked real good at the end of the year last year. We need to give him the rest of year to see if he is good. If he still have a horrible passer rating, we should try to get a vet

Paranoidmoonduck
10-04-2009, 03:00 AM
And this is news because...?

OzTitan
10-04-2009, 03:02 AM
In a perfect world we wouldnt have played Russell until next year. He is only 23 right now and is clearly not a starting QB. If we would have waited he might have been a good Qb right now. I hope we didnt mess him up, he looked real good at the end of the year last year. We need to give him the rest of year to see if he is good. If he still have a horrible passer rating, we should try to get a vet

Hrm, I wonder if Kerry Collins could be had before the deadline? :P

Addict
10-04-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't know how much longer we can keep making up excuses for this guy. Everyone knew that JR was boom or bust, so far the only thing that has boomed is his weight.

LonghornsLegend
10-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Does make some sense, because the guy wasn't even this erratic in College and was alot more accurate. I'm a firm believer in that teams can ruin players, had he been drafted by another team who brought him in slowly, didn't change the OC like clockwork, had a very solid offensive line with some legit weapons and not rookie WR's then he'd look like a different QB.

I mean starting DHB is asking a QB to fail, he may be good but he runs one route right now, he was nowhere near ready to start...Maybe JR didn't take things seriously, not sure, but until I see the Raiders start to develop more of their 1st round picks I'm more inclined to put most of the blame on them.

Addict
10-04-2009, 09:10 AM
I think it's the Raiders' fault as well, but you can't squarely blame the team, I think it's the type of player they select too. They are a pretty horrible team, so you need to select hard workers, intangibles guys who just work, work, work. Instead they choose workout guys and physical specimen who just got by on natural talent. That's not good enough if your team blows.

Saints-Tigers
10-04-2009, 10:29 AM
Yea, a lot of blame goes on the team as well, no doubt, but I'm watching him plant his feet and over throw backs in the flat, when he used to hit receivers 60 yards down field on a rope, right on the numbers.