PDA

View Full Version : Rich Gannon fails miserably in the booth

MetSox17
10-04-2009, 07:57 PM
No, Gannon didn't like the timeout because he thought that if Graham hit the field goal, it would leave too much time for dangerous Cleveland return man Joshua Cribbs(notes) to take back the subsequent kickoff for a touchdown. You know, that dreaded post-score overtime kickoff that has felled so many teams throughout history.

Is he gonna catch as much heat as D-Mac did when he made a similar mistake? :rolleyes:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Rich-Gannon-doesn-t-know-how-NFL-overtimes-work-?urn=nfl,193869

Geo
10-04-2009, 08:10 PM
It's one thing to blurt out something stupid in the heat of the moment, another thing altogether to say the stupidity McNabb did in the postgame press conference.

MetSox17
10-04-2009, 08:14 PM
It's one thing to blurt out something stupid in the heat of the moment, another thing altogether to say the stupidity McNabb did in the postgame press conference.

See, i knew there'd be someone to come in and somehow make the case that McNabb was stupider.

This guy played in the league longer than McNabb has, and he was scared that seven seconds was too much time to give Joshua Cribbs a chance to return the ball after CINCINNATI WON THE GAME. It doesn't get stupider than that. At least McNabb admitted he didn't know.

Raiderz4Life
10-04-2009, 08:14 PM
Brain farts happen to everyone

Hurricanes25
10-04-2009, 08:17 PM

Agreed. Gannon made an honest mistake but McNabb made himself look like a moron in the press conference.

Paul
10-04-2009, 08:18 PM
I can't recall who said it and who was playing, but on a recent replay of "NFL Greatest Games" on NFLN, one of the teams just scored to tie it up late in the 4th, and the commentator asked "Should they try an onside kick.", followed by a good 10 seconds of complete silence.

tjsunstein
10-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Overtime was so long that it felt like the 4th quarter to me too. I was watching other games too and it's a lot different than someone focused primarily on commentating one game.

Geo
10-04-2009, 08:24 PM
See, i knew there'd be someone to come in and somehow make the case that McNabb was stupider.

This guy played in the league longer than McNabb has, and he was scared that seven seconds was too much time to give Joshua Cribbs a chance to return the ball after CINCINNATI WON THE GAME. It doesn't get stupider than that. At least McNabb admitted he didn't know.
8gjhs2HpOz0

Hurricanes25
10-04-2009, 08:31 PM
8gjhs2HpOz0

I hate to see what happens in the playoffs or I hate to see what happens in the Superbowl.

******* hilarious. They just hand out 2 Lombardi trophies.

PoopSandwich
10-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Overtime was so long that it felt like the 4th quarter to me too. I was watching other games too and it's a lot different than someone focused primarily on commentating one game.

Imagine being there it was absolutely painful, especially as a browns fan.

Paul
10-04-2009, 08:33 PM
******* hilarious. They just hand out 2 Lombardi trophies.

LOL that is outstanding. Totally forgot about the Superbowl and playoff comments.

Rosebud
10-04-2009, 08:42 PM
"They do keep playing"

That's my favorite part of the clip.

Go_Eagles77
10-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah... Kinda hard to defend Donny on that one lol.

CJSchneider
10-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Not as big as McNabb or Gannon's flub, but Keith Olberrman referred to this month as "Breast Awareness Month".

Shiver
10-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Not as big as McNabb or Gannon's flub, but Keith Olberrman referred to this month as "Breast Awareness Month".

I noticed that too! Ha, that was fantastic. I was be participating and promoting Breat Awareness Month! http://draftcountdown.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

JFLO
10-04-2009, 09:43 PM
There is a big story about it on yahoo.com...

Seriously, who gives a ****! The media acts like he killed a baby.

I'm pretty sure everyone has made a dumb statement in their lives before.

Personally, (as if you can't tell) I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

PalmerToCJ
10-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Yeah, pretty lame it was on Yahoo's front page. Wasn't that big of a deal, for a split second I thought the same thing then realized it was OT and didn't matter. You just don't see OT's getting down towards the end very often, easy mistake. He laughed about it after he was corrected.

Bucs_Rule
10-04-2009, 10:15 PM
The media is still pissed that it didn't get to give it to McDaneils.

Brent
10-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I was watching when he said that, and I didnt even think much about it. Simple mistake, I dont see the big deal.

GB12
10-04-2009, 11:00 PM
That is a very understandable mistake and does not compare at all to McNabb. He said this during the moment. I'm sure Gannon knows the overtime rules quite well actually, he just slipped up. He was probably just trying to fill some dead air during the timeout and said the first thing that came to mind. They had been calling the game for 5 quarters already; there probably wasn't much that hadn't already been said. I bet he realized the mistake right after he said it even before being corrected.

Bengalsrocket
10-04-2009, 11:57 PM
8gjhs2HpOz0

the best part about this link, is when the fans call in and say things like, "There is no way we make the play offs this year" & "Any Reid and Donovan McNabb are done in Philadelphia".

Sometimes you can be so sure of yourself, but still wrong :P

Stash
10-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Yeah, pretty lame it was on Yahoo's front page. Wasn't that big of a deal, for a split second I thought the same thing then realized it was OT and didn't matter. You just don't see OT's getting down towards the end very often, easy mistake. He laughed about it after he was corrected.
Same here. I thought to myself, why are they leaving so much time on the clock? Then I remembered it was OT. Just so used to those situations in the 4th quarter that it's almost automatic.

CC.SD
10-05-2009, 04:23 PM
He probably just forgot it was overtime. Nowhere near McNabb level ignorance.