PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cable could soon be arrested

NIN1984
10-04-2009, 08:03 PM
The Raiders are reportedly bracing themselves for the possibility that head coach Tom Cable could soon be arrested for his training camp fight with former assistant Randy Hanson. The NFL could also suspend Cable for violating the Personal Conduct Policy if he is charged with assault. "Everybody is trying to figure out whoís going to take over if Tom isnít here," said one unnamed assistant. "(Defensive coordinator) John Marshall has a lot of experience, heís probably the guy. But itís nuts." Perhaps the situation is affecting the Raiders' offensive focus. The unit generated just eight first downs on Sunday.

rotoworld.com

Addict
10-04-2009, 08:09 PM
it's not like the Raiders are winning games WITH Tom Cable on the field...

tjsunstein
10-04-2009, 08:10 PM
It's bad when I think that it might be a good thing for the team. Next up, find a quarterback.

MetSox17
10-04-2009, 08:12 PM
It's bad when I think that it might be a good thing for the team. Next up, find a quarterback.

No. Next up, find someone that can catch the football. Russell is playing bad, but his WRs make him look worse. They all run terrible routes and have stone hands.

Russell needs a good QB coach and some nice targets to throw at. That team is so ****** up right now that there needs to be a lot of MAJOR changes for there to be any hope for success.

Geo
10-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Maybe they're arresting him for that crime of an offense.

Although if that was the case, Art Shell would be in prison right now for the offense in his second tenure.

Shiver
10-04-2009, 08:17 PM
No. Next up, find someone that can catch the football. Russell is playing bad, but his WRs make him look worse. They all run terrible routes and have stone hands.

Russell needs a good QB coach and some nice targets to throw at. That team is so ****** up right now that there needs to be a lot of MAJOR changes for there to be any hope for success.

Russell doesn't have the work ethic or football IQ to be an NFL QB. The loss of Cable will not impact the team, they are clearly at the bottom of the barrel with or without him.

tjsunstein
10-04-2009, 08:18 PM

http://www.exposay.com/celebrity-photos/darrius-heyward-bey-12-2009-nfl-oakland-leK4f4.jpg

"Uhhh."

Russell is a bust. If you haven't coached him by now then how long will it take? He's never succeeding in Oakland.

Go_Eagles77
10-04-2009, 08:20 PM
So they might need an interim interim coach? lol

MetSox17
10-04-2009, 08:22 PM
Russell doesn't have the work ethic or football IQ to be an NFL QB. The loss of Cable will not impact the team, they are clearly at the bottom of the barrel with or without him.

What information do you have about his work ethic or his football IQ? Do you have a shred of evidence to support any of that?

"Uhhh."

Russell is a bust. If you haven't coached him by now then how long will it take? He's never succeeding in Oakland.

That pic actually supports MY argument. Heyward-Bay is ******* terrible. He sucks so bad it's embarrassing that the Raiders still haven't learned how to draft.

And you're right, he's never succeeding in Oakland. That franchise is just different colors of **** piled on top of each other from the bottom all the way to the top.

RaiderNation
10-04-2009, 08:23 PM
Who will be Al's next pet? Jim Fassel???

DoughBoy
10-04-2009, 08:24 PM
The Raiders can take Chuck Cecil off our hands.

NIN1984
10-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I think this just allows Al Davis to fire Tom Cable any week now. No one is going to take this job next season, its getting worse each year.

Staubach12
10-04-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure if the NFL would be quite as entertaining without a story like this coming out of Oakland every few months.

Geo
10-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Any struggling team, Oakland included, can be good again. If they have good decision-makers in charge.

As long as Al Davis is alive, that won't happen for the Raiders.

NIN1984
10-04-2009, 08:34 PM
We can't get any good coaches because of Al Davis.

We can't draft because of Al Davis.

We make bad trades because of Al Davis.

We sign horrible free agents because of Al Davis.

I wonder if Al is aware of this?

Rosebud
10-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm not sure if the NFL would be quite as entertaining without a story like this coming out of Oakland every few months.

Exactly, without the riaders for pure insanity, lions and browns for pure suckitude and the Patriots for Evil, the NFL would be a lot more boring.

Geo
10-04-2009, 08:38 PM

It's his team. He's a rich man who owns all of it.

He's not in it to make money, he's in it for love of the game and this is his play thing.

bernbabybern820
10-04-2009, 08:49 PM
It's his team. He's a rich man who owns all of it.

He's not in it to make money, he's in it for love of the game and this is his play thing.

I don't think he spends any money other than on football.

He probably has 2 different outfits and eats children.

tjsunstein
10-04-2009, 11:57 PM
What information do you have about his work ethic or his football IQ? Do you have a shred of evidence to support any of that?

That pic actually supports MY argument. Heyward-Bay is ******* terrible. He sucks so bad it's embarrassing that the Raiders still haven't learned how to draft.

And you're right, he's never succeeding in Oakland. That franchise is just different colors of **** piled on top of each other from the bottom all the way to the top.

I hope you realize I wasn't seriously trying to dispute your statement with a DHB picture. I was more or less adding to your argument. It's like Al Davis is making a mockery of the NFL. It seems like he doesn't take it serious.

aNYtitan
10-05-2009, 12:17 AM

Unfortunately he is in the one position that can't get fired.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-05-2009, 12:59 AM
Russell doesn't have the work ethic or football IQ to be an NFL QB.

I can't attest to Russell's work ethic any more than you can, although a certain degree of apathy seems apparent. That said, I don't agree that he can't be an NFL quarterback. On a terrible team he's actually looked decent in spurts. His potential is blatantly obvious on certain plays. The problem seems to be that something is tripping up his mental process as plays are progressing. This doesn't even lead to bad decisions but it has led to bad throws, which is pretty mystifying for a guy for whom accuracy was considered a big plus out of LSU.

Something's wrong with Russell. I don't know if he has too much on his plate (like Garcia suggested) or if he doesn't trust his receivers. But there's some kind of mental block out there that he has trouble getting over, and so long as the Raiders remain where they are, I can't see him conquering it.

I simply don't believe that Russell couldn't be a very good NFL quarterback.

Shiver
10-05-2009, 01:06 AM
I can easily attest to his work ethic. It shows in his terrible play. The guy looks overweight, his footwork is terrible, he has a 40% completion percentage. But players have complained about him being one of those last one in, first one out, players. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out he hasn't shown up in the weight room, on the practice field, or in the film room.

The complaints against him coming out were his work ethic and his football IQ, and I think empirical evidence shows that those concerns were dead on the money. Those things you cannot teach, you simply have to have it. I remember when we had Michael Vick, you heard rumors of poor work habits and those were manifested by his lack of progress on the field. The same thing is happening to Russell, only much worse; instead of not progressing he is actually regressing. He might be the worst 1st round rookie QB this side of Ryan Leaf.

YAYareaRB
10-05-2009, 01:57 AM
I think it's time for the to step in and name a interim OWNER

AussieBoy
10-05-2009, 02:12 AM
On a terrible team he's actually looked decent in spurts. His potential is blatantly obvious on certain plays. The problem seems to be that something is tripping up his mental process as plays are progressing. This doesn't even lead to bad decisions but it has led to bad throws, which is pretty mystifying for a guy for whom accuracy was considered a big plus out of LSU.

Something's wrong with Russell.

Maybe he just doesn't want to be there.

bigbluedefense
10-05-2009, 08:02 AM
Russell is a bust. I thought he'd be a bust before he got drafted. You don't draft a qb with poor work ethic #1 overall. I was surprised so many people liked him coming out. He just had a big arm, thats all.

So what if he beat up a crappy Notre Dame defense. There were too many red flags in my eyes for this guy to pan out.

Saints-Tigers
10-05-2009, 08:31 AM
He had impressive size and athletic ability, accuracy, came from a pro style offense and proved he could make NFL reads and throws against top notch competition.

No one foresaw this huge regression in skills, especially after such an impressive finish last year.

Lets not pretend he was always that bad though, he showed a lot of nice things down the stretch last year, without any weapons but Zach Miller.

Geo
10-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Russell is a bust. I thought he'd be a bust before he got drafted. You don't draft a qb with poor work ethic #1 overall. I was surprised so many people liked him coming out. He just had a big arm, thats all.
Exactly the same for me too. Russell had too much of a bust factor for me, and felt like stretching need over BPA Calvin Johnson.

Although to be fair, I would have considered Brady Quinn, who isn't looking too hot either. So goes to show, I guess.

Shiver
10-05-2009, 11:02 AM
I liked Russell more than Quinn,* but I thought Russell was the worst fit for the Raiders. Someone with his question marks was doomed by going to Oakland; if he went to a team with a good QB mentor, a solid coaching staff and strong locker room he may not have turned out this poorly. That being said you have to take a chance on the franchise QB and hope that you hit. I think it was worth a shot, especially since Calvin Johnson hasn't exactly made an impact on the W-L column.

* I despised Quinn as a prospect, no lie.

bigbluedefense
10-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Exactly the same for me too. Russell had too much of a bust factor for me, and felt like stretching need over BPA Calvin Johnson.

Although to be fair, I would have considered Brady Quinn, who isn't looking too hot either. So goes to show, I guess.

Very true. I was also in the Brady Quinn camp. I thought he'd be good.

The thing with Quinn is, he's great at making adjustments presnap and he gets it, he can read defenses, its just theres this mental block thats killing his confidence right now.

He's scared to throw downfield and checks down way too much. The guy knows what he's doing, but for some reason, just isn't doing it.

Russell on the other hand, just has no clue what he's doing.

I liked Trent Edwards too. He sucks as well. That was just a terrible draft class. Kevin Kolb looks like the only qb from that class that has potential of panning out.

And I think its no coincidence that he was able to sit and learn, and had a great organization to give him exactly the treatment he needed to succeed. A strong front office goes a long way with these guys.

Geo
10-05-2009, 11:11 AM
Darren McFadden questions to all:

1. Will Darren McFadden be a consistent 1500 yards from scrimmage and 12 TDs player for the Raiders?

2. It's called the Wildcat now, but it was really the Wildhog with McFadden and Felix Jones doing an excellent job at it at Arkansas. Should the Raiders use McFadden for a Wildhog look now?

Shiver
10-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Mike Mayock nailed the criticism of McFadden coming out:

Stiff Hips
Does not break enough tackles for his size
Major case of fumblitisThat being said I think he could be more successful on a different team, but never to the point of living up to his draft position.

They might as well try the "Wildhog" with him and Bush, it cannot be worse than what they are trying to do now offensively.

bigbluedefense
10-05-2009, 11:19 AM
I remember getting killed for thinking McFadden had high bust potential in him.

He was just too lanky for my liking. I didn't go out on a limb and say he'd be a bust, but I definitely wasn't his biggest fan either.

That said, once I saw him put on pads in the NFL, I thought he'd prove me wrong, he looked good in spurts. He just needs to get out of Oakland.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-05-2009, 03:13 PM
The problem with McFadden is that his only real shot at being a 1500 yard rusher is in a successful zone blocking run attack, which is something that Oakland can't do very well with their interior line the way it is. Gallery is out, Grove is gone, and Carlisle is old. This forces the Raiders to try and get McFadden the ball on sweeps, which didn't work at all yesterday (Houston's linebackers were blowing that up in the backfield all day long).

Perhaps the only plus to Cable sticking around was that it meant a continuation of the best possible scheme for McFadden. When he leaves, Oakland may wind up with a far less conducive system for McFadden.

CC.SD
10-05-2009, 03:31 PM
I can hear the din of the Raider fanbase calling for the return of Norv.

Has the legal system ever requisitioned a coach midseason like this before? Are we in new territory? Exciting.

Bengalsrocket
10-05-2009, 03:51 PM
I liked Russell more than Quinn,* but I thought Russell was the worst fit for the Raiders. Someone with his question marks was doomed by going to Oakland; if he went to a team with a good QB mentor, a solid coaching staff and strong locker room he may not have turned out this poorly. That being said you have to take a chance on the franchise QB and hope that you hit. I think it was worth a shot, especially since Calvin Johnson hasn't exactly made an impact on the W-L column.

* I despised Quinn as a prospect, no lie.

I mean, a good QB mentor, a solid coaching staff and strong locker room presence are things all QBs need. The list of guys that have saved a franchise and performed well despite these things is very very low.

Raiders are a bad situation for any QB at the moment, and it all begins at the top.

Shiver
10-05-2009, 04:29 PM
Yeah, but if you put someone like Tom Brady or Peyton Manning I have a feeling they would do their best and play hard even surrounded by such terrible surroundings. But Russell had concerns that he was "lazy" (kinda like Crabtree with his diva attitude) and Oakland is the absolute worse place for someone like that.

awfullyquiet
10-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I mean, a good QB mentor, a solid coaching staff and strong locker room presence are things all QBs need. The list of guys that have saved a franchise and performed well despite these things is very very low.

Raiders are a bad situation for any QB at the moment, and it all begins at the top.

at least he got a good check.

vikes_28
10-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I manage a team better than Al Davis.

Xonraider
10-05-2009, 05:10 PM

And 85% of this very football forum blasted me when I said literally the same thing.

brat316
10-05-2009, 05:20 PM
Darren McFadden questions to all:

1. Will Darren McFadden be a consistent 1500 yards from scrimmage and 12 TDs player for the Raiders?

2. It's called the Wildcat now, but it was really the Wildhog with McFadden and Felix Jones doing an excellent job at it at Arkansas. Should the Raiders use McFadden for a Wildhog look now?

might as well run the Wildhog and even let him throw every now and then.

locseti
10-05-2009, 06:50 PM
I can hear the din of the Raider fanbase calling for the return of Norv.

ya right, just look what he (and injuries) are doing to the charger organization. Norvel wouldn't be able to save JaMarcus and he's a terrible head coach, I hope he stays with san diego for a long long time.

umphrey
10-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Maybe Russell has a great work ethic and he sucks so much because he listens to his coaches. I bet Asmougha is a total space-case.