PDA

View Full Version : The Official St. Louis Rams 2010 Offseason Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

tfry
10-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Well, it's looking like we will have another top 10 (like top 5 pick) again in 2010. With that said, these are the things running through my mind right now.

1.) I don't think they will can Spags after just one season, but his specialty was the defensive line and although we aren't the most talented group, we do have a few pieces to work with. Thus far, I haven't see anything to get excited about.

2.) Laurent Robinson looks like a great acquisition and although injury prone, should be the answer for one of our receiving spots. Loved this trade earlier and I'm still thrilled even though we lost LR for the year.

3.) You would think the oline would dominate after the draft picks and signings the past couple years, but it still looks like a huge work in progress. Bell was a key FA signing in '08. Brown in '09. Barron and Smith were both 1st rounders. Yet we look terrible! How can we turn things around?

4.) Bulger just doesn't have it anymore. We have many other pressing issues, but I don't see us going any other direction that QB in round 1.

5.) What do you see as our biggest needs and in what order? This is my position draft as of today:

Rd 1 - QB - Boller and Null aren't the answers. Tavaris Jackson would be a nice camp body too.
Rd 2 - DE - Little is old and we need a future replacement and depth.
Rd 3 - DT - Carricker can't stay healthy and this is the heart and soul of Spags Defense.
Rd 4 - LB - Would round out our LB unit.
Rd 5 - RB - If Sjax goes down we are in a lot of trouble!
Rd 6 - WR - Depth is a huge concern when we are signing WR3's off the street.
Rd 7 - DB - Sooner or later one has to pan out.

Curious what your thoughts are on these points through just 4 weeks of the season. We knew it was going to be a tough year, but it's every bit and then some!!!

freebirdsrams02
10-07-2009, 10:45 AM
I like taking a QB in the first, but I think the WR/RB spots might be moved up instead of taking two d-lne back to back. I thought our D-Line did a descent job on sunday against the 49ers. But the lack of a deep threat and a speedster in the backfield is hurting the Rams offense.

Rd 1. QB
Rd 2. WR
Rd 3. D-Line/RB

holt_bruce81
10-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Rams should make a big push to get Lendale White in the offseason.

He'd be a perfect #2 to Jackson and Devaney has been talking for two years now how he wants a 1b type running back.

As for the draft......I'm really not sure what I want them to do. If guys like Locker and Clausen don't come out is there a Quarterback worth a top 5 pick? I wouldn't mind Dez Bryant but is he worth a top 5 pick? Ndamukong Suh looks to be an absolute beast but do we really draft a 1st round Defensive Tackle again?

NGSeiler
10-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Addressing your points, tfry...

1) Obviously they won't fire Spags after one season, nor should they. I think we're seeing some good things on the defensive line. The Rams have some young guys who were waiver wire material showing some flashes at DT. Chris Long isn't showing up on the stat sheet, but he's been getting better pressure I think. This unit is really pretty devoid of top talent at three of four positions.

2) Robinson does look like a quality player for us, but it's going to be hard to truly count on him as a full time starter when he's yet to prove he can live up to the "full time" part of the equation. The Rams need another starting-caliber receiver if only because no one else on this team is making plays in this offense. Avery in the slot may be a good move for him. If the Rams can't lure a free agent receiver, they may have to devote a high pick to the position in the draft.

3) I agree, the offensive line has been disappointing thus far considering what's been invested in it. Barron does not have the drive or motivation to live up to his potential. Incognito is similar - has the talent to succeed but doesn't seem to play consistently and can't be counted on to not make a big negative play. Bell was a disappointment in 2008 and I haven't seen a lot in 2009 to change that opinion. Too soon to judge Brown. Smith has been out with a knee injury, I imagine he'll help improve things a bit once he returns. I would anticipate at least three new starters on this line next season (Smith @ LT, new RT, new RG).

4) If you don't think Bulger can play anymore, go back and watch the Washington game. The guy can still be effective, but there's just nothing on this offense that's really doing well. The thing about Bulger though is that he's not the future of this franchise, and the Rams need to find their next quarterback. Does that have to be in the first round? I don't know. When it's all said and done, the candidates that could go in the Top Five may not excite people. It's going to be fun seeing how the fan base reacts to Bradford as a candidate, since most Rams fans want someone capable of making plays on the move. If the Rams can get a Colt McCoy at the top of the second round, and use that first rounder for something else, that might be ideal.

5) Biggest needs? If the Rams don't address offensive skill positions in this draft until the fifth and sixth round, then they're going to be in trouble. Robinson is solid but can't stay healthy. Avery may be experiencing a drop in confidence but he isn't a fit for these short routes Shurmur is using him in. Burton shows a flash here or there but isn't a difference maker. Beyond those three, the Rams are just throwing in guys they've found off the street. Finding a WR that can be a difference maker in a WCO style offense should be a priority. If the Rams don't do it in free agency, they need to consider using a high pick at the position. I'm very intrigued by Dez Bryant. QB is a need as well, but I want to see how things start shaping up before locking it in as the first-round direction. Defensive line has some big needs as well. Another disruptive pass rusher to replace Little is needed. Some more talent inside at DT is needed. I'd contend some help at LB and CB wouldn't hurt. A new tight end would be nice.

There aren't many positions on this team that couldn't use some help. But look at some of our games this year, with less than ideal talent. In Seattle, this defense was step for step and the Rams were in the game if the offense could have done anything in the first quarter. The red zone defense in Washington was phenomenal. Turnovers rather than poor defense put the Rams in trouble against Green Bay early on, and the 49ers really didn't do a whole lot offensively against the Rams (21 of 35 points off of turnovers).

I'm not trying to argue that this is a great defense, but I think it's clearly doing better than what we're seeing on offense, and for three years now we know that simply plugging in a new QB doesn't solve the other glaring (and I'd argue bigger) offensive problems. Frerotte didn't change things, Green didn't change things, Boller hasn't changed things. If the Rams go 1st round QB and then don't address the offense again until selecting a back-up running back in the fifth round, then it's probably going to be another tough season. Some fans lament the huge Bulger deal, but a first round QB where we pick will probably get more money. Now imagine he becomes David Carr on this team. Not saying don't pick one, just saying you've got to address the other problems as well or else what's the point?

Though it's early in the process and obviously a lot can change between now and then, I would probably look for some kind of combination of WR/QB/DL in the first three rounds.

holt_bruce81
10-14-2009, 09:03 PM
Looking at the draft, would anyone be upset if we drafted Ndamukong Suh? I mean I hate the thought of drafting ANOTHER Defensive Tackle in the 1st round, but Suh is going to be an absolute monster in the NFL.

I hate Nebraska, but I'm in love with this dude.

rockio42
10-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Looking at the draft, would anyone be upset if we drafted Ndamukong Suh? I mean I hate the thought of drafting ANOTHER Defensive Tackle in the 1st round, but Suh is going to be an absolute monster in the NFL.

After watching and helping call the game on Thursday I hate him so much...and want him on the Rams...he is the real deal but I think a guy like Bryant (assuming and hoping we have higher than the 4th pick or so) might be a bigger need...

NGSeiler
10-15-2009, 11:34 AM

Probably depends on where we ultimately end up picking, but if the Rams don't go with a QB with their first pick, then I think someone like Suh has about as good a shot as anyone at being the selection. The Rams could certainly use some more talent and production from the DT position.

NGSeiler
10-19-2009, 10:42 AM
This wasn't exactly a great weekend for top QB draft prospects. Bradford re-injured his shoulder and now you've got to be worried a bit about his durability. McCoy for the second week in a row didn't look very impressive. I didn't get a chance to see Clausen against USC, but I've read some observations that he wasn't mind blowing. Pike was injured. Locker threw two picks in a loss to Arizona State.

If the Rams pick in the top three selections, is there going to be a signal-caller worthy of the pick? You'd have to think someone is going to be valued up there, as there hasn't been a draft without a top three QB selection since 2000. But as of right now, I can't say I'm particularly in love with any of these guys as a high first round selection.

KCJ58
10-19-2009, 11:39 AM

I'm kind of right there with on Suh, maybe he can have a huge combine and climb his way to the top 5

stlouisfan37
10-26-2009, 02:54 AM
Hi guys. My name is Scott and I'm new here. I really like this website. I have been using it as a draft tool for years and never realized there was a message board attached!

I live in Seattle and I can tell you that Jake Locker is almost a sure thing to come out. As much improvement as the new regime at UW is showing, there just isn't enough reason for him to pass up a huge payday, especially with the threat of a rookie salary cap on the horizon.

My philosophy is to trade down and out of top 10 picks to pick up more talent. That is the one thing the Rams don't have. I think the players are buying into Spags' system, and I think he will find success here, but right now we are just not talented enough. My plan would be as follows. For sake of argument, let's assume we have the #1 pick.

1) If Locker is there I would take him. Let it be known that I do follow the Huskies as they are my local team, but I am not a loyal Husky fan and actually spend more of my time following small college football. I believe that I am being objective when I say that he is the real deal and his upside is tremendous. Other than on a few rare occasions I have never thought a QB was a good choice with a really high pick for a rebuilding team, but I think he is worth the risk. While our line is not very good yet, we do have some very good pieces with which to build. Locker is elusive enough to get himself out of a lot of trouble so as to not get pounded. Bulger is just getting worse and worse by the game. He needs to go. If Locker is not there, I would trade down if possible. If not I would take the very best player available, regardless of position. Safety is often considered a luxury in the NFL, but a duo of Taylor Mays and Atogwe would be mouthwatering.

2) Every year there is a player that someone is willing to give a lot for in the late 1/early 2 area. There always seems to be a lot of movement at the close of the first round. I would absolutely trade down to pick up an extra 3rd rounder or a pick the following year. If I stand pat I take the best player available, regardless of position.

3) The 3rd round, I believe, is the key to building a strong offensive line. Every year there is an excellent lineman that falls to the 3rd round from a mid-late 1st round grade. My philosophy is that if a team were to pick the best offensive lineman available in the 3rd round every year, they would build a solid core of workmanlike lunchpail linemen who were hungry, dependable, and talented enough to make an awesome line. We are on the way to having a typical NFL line, where one or two guys make a buttload of money and are surrounded by 5th and 6th rounders who are not really all that good. I believe that balance is the key to a great line.

4) With the rest of the draft I take the best player available, regardless of position. We need so much help everywhere that at this point we just need more talent. WR is glaring, but is also one of the most difficult squads to build from the ground up. Look at teams like Detroit, who needed a passing game so they just kept throwing 1st round picks at receivers. They finally got it right with Calvin Johnson, but that was after years of agony...I believe we need a quiet veteran presence that is productive and has the gift of teaching and will set a positive example. We also need a great young talent with all the necessary tools that is hungry and wants to be groomed. A guy like Freddie Barnes could be a steal on day 2.

NGSeiler
10-27-2009, 05:54 PM
1) If Locker is there I would take him.

Rams currently hold the top pick in the most recent draft order after losing to Indy, so everyone will be there when they're on the clock. The question becomes whether or not Locker is the best player in this draft, because I don't think the Rams should take a QB just for the sake of taking one. A lot can happen between now and April, but right now I think the only way you could justify one of these quarterbacks being the first guy off the board is because of the contract you'll be shelling out. I'm not yet in love with any of these guys, but of those in the hunt, Locker is probably one of the most intriguing to me.

2) Every year there is a player that someone is willing to give a lot for in the late 1/early 2 area. There always seems to be a lot of movement at the close of the first round. I would absolutely trade down to pick up an extra 3rd rounder or a pick the following year. If I stand pat I take the best player available, regardless of position.

I'm not sure I trade down unless a 2011 first rounder is in the package. It'd be nice to move down and get another third rounder, sure. But this team is desperate for some playmaking talent. With a high pick in the second round, they'll be in a good position to grab someone who maybe was on the verge of being a first rounder but just didn't have his name called. If there's a potential #1 receiver on the board, for instance, I think it's tough to move out of that spot. Same for a pass rushing DE or some help at TE.

3) The 3rd round, I believe, is the key to building a strong offensive line. Every year there is an excellent lineman that falls to the 3rd round from a mid-late 1st round grade. My philosophy is that if a team were to pick the best offensive lineman available in the 3rd round every year, they would build a solid core of workmanlike lunchpail linemen who were hungry, dependable, and talented enough to make an awesome line. We are on the way to having a typical NFL line, where one or two guys make a buttload of money and are surrounded by 5th and 6th rounders who are not really all that good. I believe that balance is the key to a great line.

With Smith likely moving to LT next year and Barron likely hitting the road, the Rams could use a new right tackle. There may also be a vacancy at guard if Incognito moves on. I wouldn't be opposed to spending a mid round pick on a lineman.

WR is glaring, but is also one of the most difficult squads to build from the ground up. Look at teams like Detroit, who needed a passing game so they just kept throwing 1st round picks at receivers.

Ideally a veteran would be great, but what's the likelihood of the Rams nabbing a legit veteran #1 receiver either in free agency or in trade? Yes, the Lions struggled to find a receiver able to live up to his draft status for a while, but you can't let their example dictate what you do any more than you'd let previous QB busts prevent you from ever drafting a first round QB. You just have to evaluate these guys and trust what you see. If there's a wide receiver who grades out as being of good value for when the Rams ultimately select, I think he has to be a consideration. This team is desperate for a difference maker in the passing game. Trying to make a living off of other teams' practice squad guys or 6th receivers just isn't going to cut it.

stlouisfan37
10-27-2009, 10:22 PM
NGSEILER,

You bring up some very good arguments. However, the underlying message that keeps coming through in your argument is filling needs. I am not suggesting that these needs do not need to be filled. In fact, quite the contrary. The fact is that this team has so many needs that there is no area where you could honestly say we are good on talent.

The theory behind drafting the best player available is that, through the course of variables, each position will eventually be addressed. Most of the strongest teams in the NFL use this philosophy, and it works because an injury or two does not ruin your whole season. Just take a look at the depth charts on the teams that consistently win 10 games every year...many of their backups could start for team like the Rams and Lions. Yet every year we go back to the draft and handpick player by player, and chalk them in as a "need filled".

What we really need to do is trade down at any time possible and accumulate picks along the way. Super Bowls are not won with hig draft picks, they are won with middle round picks, guys who have all the talent of the higher picks but haven't necessarily blossomed by the time they are 22. Take a look at the 2 drafts that are widely considered the best drafts in NFL history. The '74 Steelers got 4 HOFers from their draft; Lynn Swann was the only 1st rounder, and he was in the mid teens. The '86 49ers pulled 8 starters from the draft, none of them in the first round, and 7 of those players started in two Super Bowls. So I respectfully disagree when you say that we can't trade down when there is a highly talented WR or DE on the board. We don't need a handful of studs. We need a buttload of players who will become very good and bring us back to respectability. We have been pulling two decent players from the draft each year for way too long. We need depth at all positions. We can't afford to keep drafting a few "maybe stars" while we watch all our talent bolt in free agency.

NGSeiler
10-28-2009, 04:58 PM
The theory behind drafting the best player available is that, through the course of variables, each position will eventually be addressed. Most of the strongest teams in the NFL use this philosophy, and it works because an injury or two does not ruin your whole season. Just take a look at the depth charts on the teams that consistently win 10 games every year...many of their backups could start for team like the Rams and Lions. Yet every year we go back to the draft and handpick player by player, and chalk them in as a "need filled".

Not sure I agree with this. It simply isn't a black and white issue, needs vs. BPA. There is nuance and gray area in both strategies. I think you would actually be pretty hard pressed to find a successful NFL franchise that drafts STRICTLY using a best player available theory. In the early rounds, I think most teams very strongly consider at least the long-term needs of their franchise when making those selections.

I mean, a strict BPA is pretty easy to shoot down. Unless you believe teams like KC, Tampa Bay, Detroit, the Giants, and the Steelers would all draft quarterbacks in the first round if a signal-caller was the best player available, then you have to acknowledge there is some nuance to the theory as well. Let's face it, the Minnesota Vikings aren't likely to spend a first round pick on a running back, even if a runner is the BPA when the Vikes are on the clock. And there are plenty of teams where one injury would probably ruin their season.

The Rams right now are very devoid of talent, and as you said, there are few if any areas where the Rams could pass on taking a player. But let's be honest, if the BPA when the Rams pick in round one is a franchise left tackle or a middle linebacker, are they making that pick? Probably not. Again, this is why a strict BPA approach does not hold water. There has to be some nuance and some wiggle room.

What we really need to do is trade down at any time possible and accumulate picks along the way.

Again, I'm not sure I'd agree. Trading down if you can get a good deal is fine, but at what point do you draw the line? I mean, "trade down at any time possible?" So, would you advocate trading down so much that we basically have every pick in the fifth and sixth round?

At some point you've got to make some picks, and this team isn't talented enough (and may not be good enough yet from a scouting perspective) to trade down, trade down, trade down, and then find all the answers to their problems in the mid-round.

It's interesting that the two teams you brought up - the '74 Steelers and '86 49ers - were both already pretty good when they had the drafts you referenced. The '72 and '73 Steelers had a combined record of 21-7 in the two years prior to their '74 draft. The '86 49ers were 35-13 in their three previous seasons and had just won a Super Bowl in '84.

And let's face it, the Rams essentially did exactly what you're advocating in 2006 - they traded down with Denver and acquired an extra third round pick. Yet it didn't work, as neither their first round pick nor either of their third rounders are still on this team. So just trading down and acquiring more picks isn't really a solution all by itself.

The important lesson to learn from drafts like the '74 Steelers and the '86 49ers, and probably the '06 Rams draft, is how important it is to hit on every chance you get when making a pick. And that's the case if you're picking with your original pick or if you've traded up or down. The Rams' drafts in recent years have been abysmal, because so many of their picks have ended up as misses for whatever reason.

Now sure, the Rams could trade down any chance they get and just keep acquiring more picks. And sometimes trading down works. The Rams should always be open to trade offers. But at the same time, if there's a guy on the board that the Rams really think can fit what they want to do and help their franchise over the next decade, and he's good value where you're picking, you're going to tell me you don't make the pick because you'd rather have four picks in the fourth round or something like that? I just don't see it. If you're not in love with the guys currently available, and there's a trade offer that's solid, then sure, go for it. But don't just trade down simply to trade down.

So I respectfully disagree when you say that we can't trade down when there is a highly talented WR or DE on the board.

That's not really what I said, though. I said, "If there's a potential #1 receiver on the board, for instance, I think it's tough to move out of that spot. Same for a pass rushing DE or some help at TE." And going back to your claim, I don't think you'll find many successful teams who regularly pass on top talent that could help them so they can have more mid-round picks to experiment with.

And yes, I think this offense is certainly in need of a stud. The Rams' receiving corps is already filled with a bunch of depth guys. They may have a starter in either Robinson or Avery, but even when both of those guys were starting, this offense was sputtering and struggling to do anything through the air. This team simply does not have a true difference making #1 receiver, and it sorely needs one because this passing game doesn't scare anyone.

Now, that's not to say this team is 2-3 studs away from being a contender. I agree we have a lot of needs. But yeah, some of those needs are for difference makers, not just solid depth guys or situational players. So if there's a guy sitting at the top of the second round whom I think could develop into a difference maker for this team, who fits what I want to do schematically, then I do think it would be pretty tough to move out of that spot simply for the sake of collecting more picks.

The goal should be hitting on the picks you have, wherever you have them.

GatorsBullsFan
10-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I think you guys should trade Stephen Jackson for more picks...I know you could get a 1st and 4th for him right now...possibly more

lol I just feel bad for this team because as of right now Chris Long and Adam Carriker have looked like busts and to waste 2 first rounders like that is not good

holt_bruce81
10-28-2009, 07:50 PM
I think you guys should trade Stephen Jackson for more picks...I know you could get a 1st and 4th for him right now...possibly more

lol I just feel bad for this team because as of right now Chris Long and Adam Carriker have looked like busts and to waste 2 first rounders like that is not good

That would be terrible. I would puke.

stlouisfan37
10-28-2009, 10:30 PM
Seiler,

Points well taken. I must agree somewhat.

Let me please just qualify my statement about building a team by taking the BPA regardless of position by saying that, what I meant was, using this philosophy until a strong core of talent is developed. Once this has been achieved is when you can go ahead and hand-pick key players at certain positions.

True, we do have a few places covered, like LT and MLB. So what I am suggesting is that, if the BPA is an LT or MLB, then you trade down and acquire another pick. Does it really matter if we draft a linebacker or defensive tackle with a given pick, as long as we recognize that we need talent across the board?

Let me ask you this question: If you had the #1 pick, and you could choose between having the first pick in each of the first three rounds, or you could have two picks in each of the first three rounds. but all of the picks were at the end of the rounds, which would be more productive for building this team from the ground up?

NGSeiler
10-29-2009, 03:03 PM
Let me ask you this question: If you had the #1 pick, and you could choose between having the first pick in each of the first three rounds, or you could have two picks in each of the first three rounds. but all of the picks were at the end of the rounds, which would be more productive for building this team from the ground up?

The difference is that you're speaking in generalities whereas I'm speaking in specific situations. Generalities are fine, but if I'm sitting at the top of the second round with whom I consider a difference making WR available, then no, I'm not particularly inclined to trade down simply for the extra pick it may result in. If there's no one there whom I'm in love with and have a good offer on the table, then I'm more inclined to move. But having more picks just for the sake of having them isn't a gateway to success. Again, all we have to do is look back to the 2006 Rams draft to understand that trading down doesn't always work in the team's favor.

GatorsBullsFan
10-30-2009, 04:26 PM
It is always hard to trade the first overall pick because the teams that are trying to trade the first overall pick always want too much for it

tfry
11-05-2009, 08:42 PM

Don't forget about the other busts of the decade:
2008 - Chirs Long: Jury is still out. But he hasn't shown much.
2007 - Adam Carricker: Injuries...
2006 - Tye Hill: Already off the team because he was so bad.
2005 - Alex Barron: Underachiever who is only on the team by default.
2003 - Jimmy Kennedy: I consider this the worst 1st round pick of the decade.
2002 - Damien Lewis: Another terrible pick!
2001 - Robert Thomas: Didn't do much while in St. Louis
2000 - Trung Canidate: I barely even remember this guy!

As it stands, the Rams have only landed one player that I consider decent or better in the first round and that is Sjax. That my friend is why the Rams are drafting in the top 3 for the third straight year. Yes, you need depth at all position, but talent is what wins and in the first round you can't afford to miss 8 out of 9 picks.

holt_bruce81
11-06-2009, 09:02 PM
Don't forget about the other busts of the decade:
2007 - Adam Carricker: Injuries...
2006 - Tye Hill: Already off the team because he was so bad.
2005 - Alex Barron: Underachiever who is only on the team by default.
2003 - Jimmy Kennedy: I consider this the worst 1st round pick of the decade.
2002 - Damien Lewis: Another terrible pick!
2001 - Robert Thomas: Didn't do much while in St. Louis
2000 - Trung Canidate: I barely even remember this guy!

As it stands, the Rams have only landed one player that I consider decent or better in the first round and that is Sjax. That my friend is why the Rams are drafting in the top 3 for the third straight year. Yes, you need depth at all position, but talent is what wins and in the first round you can't afford to miss 8 out of 9 picks.

Alex Barron is a very good Offensive Tackle.

holt_bruce81
11-06-2009, 09:04 PM
Anyone see the new mock? Sam Bradford......

I'm a Mizzou guy but I'm still a big Bradford fan. But with the Shoulder injuries, I don't know, I would rather take Clausen or Locker if they come out. I just think Bradford has bigger bust potential, and a bust at the Quarterback position for the Rams could mean bye bye St. Louis.

NGSeiler
11-07-2009, 01:42 AM

He hasn't shown up as much on the stat sheet as you'd like, but he's very active if you're watching the games, especially against the run. I think as he continues to learn some more pass rush technique, he'll have a good chance to grow and potentially be a special player.

Alex Barron is a very good Offensive Tackle.

...when he wants to be, which is the problem.

Anyone see the new mock? Sam Bradford......

I'm a Mizzou guy but I'm still a big Bradford fan. But with the Shoulder injuries, I don't know, I would rather take Clausen or Locker if they come out. I just think Bradford has bigger bust potential, and a bust at the Quarterback position for the Rams could mean bye bye St. Louis.

The injuries worry me, sure. When you're going to drop $60-70 million on a new QB, you want to make sure he's going to be on the field. And it's not as if the AC joint has been Bradford's first collegiate injury. So durability is a concern. Right now I'd probably prefer Locker but I need to sit down and watch more of his games. I'm not really in love yet with any of these guys, and if the Rams end up feeling the same way come April, I hope they pass and take someone they are in love with, even if he's not a QB. This team needs a QB of the future, but that's no reason to take a QB just for the heck of it. Make sure he's the right guy, and if he is, then make the pick.

holt_bruce81
11-30-2009, 09:27 PM
What's everyones thought on taking Eric Berry or Taylor Mays? I know the Rams have solid safeties, but I wouldn't call them elite safeties, and we've seen how an Elite Safety can change an Entire Defense (Bob Sanders, Troy Polamalu)

NGSeiler
12-03-2009, 09:11 AM
What's everyones thought on taking Eric Berry or Taylor Mays? I know the Rams have solid safeties, but I wouldn't call them elite safeties, and we've seen how an Elite Safety can change an Entire Defense (Bob Sanders, Troy Polamalu)

I think it would be tough to pull the trigger on either of them with a Top 3 pick, which is what the Rams appeared poised to have at this point. But I'd prefer Berry moreso than Mays, and I guess you could argue that if you let Atogwe walk, it's easier to draft Berry and give him a $50-60 million deal. Still, that's a lot for a rookie, especially a safety.

holt_bruce81
12-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I think it would be tough to pull the trigger on either of them with a Top 3 pick, which is what the Rams appeared poised to have at this point. But I'd prefer Berry moreso than Mays, and I guess you could argue that if you let Atogwe walk, it's easier to draft Berry and give him a $50-60 million deal. Still, that's a lot for a rookie, especially a safety.

Yeah I'd prefer Berry over Mays as well. And I agree, it is tough to give a rookie Safety 50-60 million.

holt_bruce81
12-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Anyone watch Suh tonight? Holy **** the dude is a beast.

fenikz
12-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Cards need to throw our game vs you so that you don't get Suh

holt_bruce81
12-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Cards need to throw our game vs you so that you don't get Suh

How dare you sir.

Don't worry about it, I'm sure the Rams will find some way of screwing up there pick. Probably draft Sam Bradford with the 1st overall pick, then his arm will fall off.

RaiderNation
12-06-2009, 04:09 PM
I know Suh is great and all, but I just cant see you guys sticking with Bulger or Boller. Maybe you trade for a QB or sign one?(Brady Quinn? Jason Campbell?) but if Locker or Clausen declare you guys should take one.

holt_bruce81
12-06-2009, 06:45 PM
I know Suh is great and all, but I just cant see you guys sticking with Bulger or Boller. Maybe you trade for a QB or sign one?(Brady Quinn? Jason Campbell?) but if Locker or Clausen declare you guys should take one.

I like Locker, or Pike in the 2nd.

NGSeiler
12-06-2009, 11:26 PM

The Rams need to make their evaluations and stick true to their board. If Suh is available and is the best player on the board, how can the Rams pass? Their personnel @ DT is hardly good by any stretch, and reaching down the board for a quarterback just because you need one is a recipe for disaster.

If Locker or Clausen or Bradford grade out to be one of the best players in this draft and one of the best players available when the Rams are on the clock, then by all means, consider them. But right now, it's hard for me to put any of them above Suh, and with the Rams likely selecting in the top two or three, I think there's a good chance Suh is there. Taking Suh doesn't mean the Rams can't also take a QB in another round to groom.

KCJ58
12-07-2009, 07:35 PM
i say the Rams would be stupid to pass on Ndamukong Suh is he's available while we are on the clock, I'd much rather look at 2nd round to see what is there if not then give Bulger one more final season and let's see if he can do anything. I don't want to take a QB with a top 3 pick in 2010

NGSeiler
12-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Peter King was just on NBC Football Night in America talking about the Rams or Bucs with the first overall pick, and said that a survey he conducted around the league revealed that Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh was considered by many to be the most highly regarded or sought after (sorry, can't recall which specific phrase) defensive prospect in the last decade. King said he spoke with GMs of both the Browns and the Rams, whom both told him that Suh would "probably" be at the top of their draft boards, though that didn't necessary mean he'd be their pick.

As always, take it for what it's worth. Just passing along what was said.

holt_bruce81
12-15-2009, 02:24 AM
Well forget about drafting Jake Locker this year. He's going back to school for his senior year.

tfry
12-15-2009, 03:12 PM
If Suh is there we have to take him. With a defensive minded coach that won a Super Bowl because of his defensive line, I don't see how we can overlook Suh.

There are several second tier QBs in the draft we can look at. McCoy, Pike, Mallett, Canfield, etc. that wouldn't be bad options in my opinion. Not only do we need a starter, but we also need a backup so a 2nd or 3rd round QB isn't a terrible pick.

I'd like to see the Rams address the defensive line, receiver, and QB positions with our first three picks. It doesn't matter which order the draft these players, but I think these are the most pressing issues.

I'm just throwing this out there, but what about signing Vick to a one year contract? He's a great QB for the west coast offense and has talent. I don't like the baggage, but he seems to have learned his lesson. A one year contract would give us a ton of flexability in the draft too!

NGSeiler
12-16-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm just throwing this out there, but what about signing Vick to a one year contract? He's a great QB for the west coast offense and has talent. I don't like the baggage, but he seems to have learned his lesson. A one year contract would give us a ton of flexability in the draft too!

Not a fan at all, and I'd disagree that he's a great WCO fit.

freebirdsrams02
12-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Rams lose, Tampa Bay wins, we are now the #1 pick. Two weeks left.

NGSeiler
12-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Rams lose, Tampa Bay wins, we are now the #1 pick. Two weeks left.

Pretty sure we've been the #1 pick for a couple of weeks now, though most of the member mocks on this site still had Tampa picking first. Probably so they could give him Suh and then give the Rams a QB.

With the Rams unquestionably picking first now (barring a second win), be prepared to see an influx of mocks projecting the Rams passing on guys like Suh to take quarterbacks simply because "it's time," regardless of whether or not the guy is the best talent.

Frankly, I think it's going to take a lot during the bowl games and the offseason to make me think someone other than Suh makes sense with the first pick.

holt_bruce81
12-21-2009, 12:06 AM
Is there any doubt the Rams will go Suh? I mean I know it's the NFL draft and it's the Rams, But he's CLEARLY the best player in the draft. Do you guys think since he played a 3-technique at Nebraska that would scare the Rams off? because he would be playing a 1-gap Technique with the Rams, might be a waste of his true talent.

NGSeiler
12-21-2009, 08:56 AM
Is there any doubt the Rams will go Suh? I mean I know it's the NFL draft and it's the Rams, But he's CLEARLY the best player in the draft. Do you guys think since he played a 3-technique at Nebraska that would scare the Rams off? because he would be playing a 1-gap Technique with the Rams, might be a waste of his true talent.

Pretty sure a three-technique tackle is a one-gap player, and I think that fits what Suh does pretty well.

At this point, I really think it's tough to argue someone else other than Suh. The "it's time" QB argument is pretty weak, IMO. Whether it's time or not, you evaluate the players and if someone stands out above the rest (ie. Suh), you take him. Take away a specific team making the pick, and is anyone going to argue one of these QBs over Suh in this class? Really?

Outside fans or mock-makers will argue that the Rams passing on guys like Ryan and Sanchez have contributed to them being one of the worst teams in football the last few years. I'd argue that they'll remain one of the worst teams in football if they pass on better talent because they feel pressured to take a QB.

If the Rams somehow get the #2 pick and Suh is off the board, then I think QB is much more possible (I say that to emphasize that this isn't a case of just being afraid to take a high 1st round QB). But right now, I just don't see how you pass on Suh to take Clausen or Bradford.

NGSeiler
12-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Post-game chat with Jeff Gordon following the Rams' loss to the Texans...

Faulk4HOF: Jeff
I know this heresy for this forums but with all the hype for Suh as the #1 can you see the Rams trading that pick down for more picks?

Jeff Gordon: It is hard to trade down these days -- and Suh is widely hailed as a leg[it] first overall pick. Barring an injury to Suh, he appears to be their logical choice.

http://www.stltoday.com/discussions/sports/postgame-with-gordo/LD121809970/all

The opinions of a sportswriter may not count for much to some, but I think it demonstrates the prevailing opinion about the Rams and the draft by people who follow or cheer for the team.

holt_bruce81
12-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Ok Since everyone seems to agree Ndamukong Suh should be the Rams 1st round selection, next Question......Who in Round 2?

My pick would definitely be Sean Weatherspoon if he's there, but wondering who you guys are looking at with that pick.

NGSeiler
12-21-2009, 11:26 PM
There are plenty of strong second round options; the Rams could go any number of ways. Weatherspoon could certainly be an option. The Rams could use an upgrade at either OLB position. I'd like to think that Colt McCoy could be there, and I think there's a decent chance that a pretty good receiver is still on the board (maybe a Benn, Williams, Thomas). Maybe a DB like Donovan Warren is still on the board there, though I think there are some late 1st round teams that would consider him.

stlouisfan37
12-23-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm seeing a lot of mock drafts with the Rams taking either Clausen or Bradford, and I really hope that doesn't happen. I know we need a real QB in a big way, but neither one of them is the guy. It it were Locker I would be more inclined to lean that way, but I'm not sold on Bradford's ability to stay healthy or Clausen's ability to lead a team.

What's influencing my thought even more is the play of Ndamakong Suh, the fabulous DT from Nebraska. I had heard a lot about him but didn't realize what people were saying until I saw him play a couple of times this year. He is as strong as most offensive linemen and runs like a linebacker. He appears to be technically sound and has that non-stop motor that is so hard to come by in defensive linemen. His pass-rushing skills are excellent for an interior defender. He's like Albert Haynesworth and Patrick Willis rolled into one.

stlouisfan37
12-23-2009, 01:50 AM
A couple of small school guys that I will be looking at are WR Jeremy Williams from Tulane and QB Dan Lefevour from Central Michigan.

Lefevour is especially intriguing. He is big (6'4", 240), has a great arm, and is a very elusive runner for a big qb with nearly 3,000 rushing yards in four seasons as a starter. He is very accurate, with a 71% completion percentage as a senior and has improved in this area every year. He has been highly productive, with over 12,000 yards and 101 touchdowns (to only 35 interceptions). CMU has built a strong program, going 37-17 in his tenure, and he is used to winning. This guy would be a steal in the round 3 or 4, but I think his stock will rise in pre-draft workouts.

holt_bruce81
12-24-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm seeing a lot of mock drafts with the Rams taking either Clausen or Bradford, and I really hope that doesn't happen. I know we need a real QB in a big way, but neither one of them is the guy. It it were Locker I would be more inclined to lean that way, but I'm not sold on Bradford's ability to stay healthy or Clausen's ability to lead a team.

What's influencing my thought even more is the play of Ndamakong Suh, the fabulous DT from Nebraska. I had heard a lot about him but didn't realize what people were saying until I saw him play a couple of times this year. He is as strong as most offensive linemen and runs like a linebacker. He appears to be technically sound and has that non-stop motor that is so hard to come by in defensive linemen. His pass-rushing skills are excellent for an interior defender. He's like Albert Haynesworth and Patrick Willis rolled into one.

If we did take a Quarterback in the 1st, Bradford would be the only one I would want.

stlouisfan37
12-25-2009, 09:55 PM
Anyone see SMU yesterday? While he plays a bit reckless, WR Emmanuel Sanders is definitely quick and super athletic. Could be a steal in the late rounds.

sdobbers
12-25-2009, 10:12 PM
As I just mentioned somewhere else, I think this would be a pretty solid first two rounds of the draft:

Round 1: Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame
We really need a franchise quarterback, and right now Clausen is probably the best QB in the draft. He has already played in a pro offense, and has leadership qualities. I know a lot of people won't like this choice, cause they'd rather have Suh (who I admit I would LOVE to have), but this is the right choice for us.
Round 2: Mike Iupati, G, Idaho
Now that we went out and got our quarterback of the future, it's time to make sure he's protected. Last year we drafted Smith, and assuming he can finally get over his concussions he should be a solid starting tackle with either Barron or Goldberg at the other tackle position. Then we already have our center solidified in Jason Brown. However, now that Incognito left, our guards are down to Bell, Greco and Setterstrom.

Possible future line:
LT: Jason Smith (if he recovers, and proves himself in camp he could swing to LT)
LG: Jacob Bell
C: Jason Brown
RG: Mike Iupati (plays LG in college, but could have him play RG?)
RT: Barron/Goldberg

stlouisfan37
12-26-2009, 03:03 PM
I will be sadly disappointed if we pass on Suh.

I've been watching the Marshall-Ohio game today. Marshall has a LB named Mario Harvey that looks very impressive. 6'0" and 240 and he brings the wood.

tfry
12-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Well, with the Bucs beating the Saints we are officially the #1 pick!!! With the way teams have been able to negotiate smaller contracts prior to the draft, I think this is a big plus.

Regarding the pick - I really don't see us passing on Suh. He is the perfect pick in my opinion. My perfect draft:

Rd 1 - Suh
Rd 2 - Colt McCoy
Rd 3 - Denario Alexander

NGSeiler
12-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Well, with the Bucs beating the Saints we are officially the #1 pick!!! With the way teams have been able to negotiate smaller contracts prior to the draft, I think this is a big plus.

Actually I think a Rams win in Week 17 combined with a Lions loss gives Detroit the #1 pick. So it's not quite official yet.

sdobbers
12-28-2009, 04:46 PM
Rd 1 - Suh
Rd 2 - Colt McCoy
Rd 3 - Denario Alexander

What about...

Rd 1 - Suh
Rd 2 - Everson Griffin
Rd 3 - Denario Alexander

freebirdsrams02
12-29-2009, 02:26 PM
What about...

Rd 1 - Suh
Rd 2 - Everson Griffin
Rd 3 - Denario Alexander

I like the first two, but a qb would be better at #3.

Babylon
12-29-2009, 02:53 PM
What about...

Rd 1 - Suh
Rd 2 - Everson Griffin
Rd 3 - Denario Alexander

Suh for sure but drafting Griffen means giving up on Carriker doesnt it? I've stated before i'd draft Suh to play a 3-4 LDE move Long to OLB and play Carriker at RDE. Sort of like what they had in New England with Seymour and Vrabel.

rockio42
12-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Suh for sure but drafting Griffen means giving up on Carriker doesnt it? I've stated before i'd draft Suh to play a 3-4 LDE move Long to OLB and play Carriker at RDE. Sort of like what they had in New England with Seymour and Vrabel.

Idk about that, i had an interesting thought about it last night...move Carriker to RE on running downs (where he played in college) so that he doesn't get bowled over inside all game (which is my theory as to why he keeps getting hurt) and then move Long over to LE (he is very solid on running and keeps getting better at passing downs) and then on passing downs move Carriker inside and pair with Suh and then maybe find a pass-rusher to move in on third down to RE...just a thought about a different approach to our d-line next year

NGSeiler
12-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Carriker can't stay healthy, so the Rams shouldn't expect anything out of him at this point. If he proves them right, fine. But I think he's going to have to earn a 2010 roster spot this offseason.

And if he stays, IMO, he's still a tackle in the 4-3. I really don't see him as a good end for us, unless it's on the occasional short yardage run defense package. But Chris Long should be this team's LDE of the future, so Carriker can act as depth inside if he can earn that spot.

freebirdsrams02
12-31-2009, 02:21 PM
Suh looked like a #1 pick last night in the Holiday Bowl.

zachsaints52
12-31-2009, 02:27 PM
I would imagine Suh being your pick. Imagine how much it would help Laurinitis as well.

rockio42
12-31-2009, 11:10 PM
Carriker can't stay healthy, so the Rams shouldn't expect anything out of him at this point. If he proves them right, fine. But I think he's going to have to earn a 2010 roster spot this offseason.

And if he stays, IMO, he's still a tackle in the 4-3. I really don't see him as a good end for us, unless it's on the occasional short yardage run defense package. But Chris Long should be this team's LDE of the future, so Carriker can act as depth inside if he can earn that spot.

like I said, I think the main reason is that he was getting beaten up inside, normally you don't see guys play "bigger" when they move up a level...think about Long he played a 3-4 DE at Virginia and now hed be more a 3-4 OLB than a DE, I think Carriker needs a shot at DE to see...I'm not saying its going to change his career but I think it would make sense, espcially if we draft Suh, Carriker if anything is UT and Suh is better suited as a UT than NT anyway

holt_bruce81
01-01-2010, 02:35 PM
People have been saying since Carriker was drafted that he's a 3-4 Defensive End and is playing out of position with the Rams. Which is why they need to call Scott Pioli and straight up offer Adam Carriker for Glenn Dorsey. (I know it won't happen) Both are playing out of position right now.

And I don't see Chris Long as a good 3-4 OLB, I think he's a perfect fit to play DE in a 4-3.

NGSeiler
01-02-2010, 10:01 PM
like I said, I think the main reason is that he was getting beaten up inside, normally you don't see guys play "bigger" when they move up a level...think about Long he played a 3-4 DE at Virginia and now hed be more a 3-4 OLB than a DE, I think Carriker needs a shot at DE to see...I'm not saying its going to change his career but I think it would make sense, espcially if we draft Suh, Carriker if anything is UT and Suh is better suited as a UT than NT anyway

Even if moving him from DT somehow solved his injury problems or kept him from getting beat up, it would simply create a new problem in that it highlights his inability to challenge the edge, which limits our pass rush even more. The Rams already have a strong side end in Long; they need someone to replace Little as the quick pass rusher who can challenge the corner and then perhaps redirect inside on a tackle who overextends. Carriker does not have those qualities, which is why just about everyone projected him to be a DT in the 4-3 to begin with.

I don't think a permanent move to end is going to help him at all; I think it will only highlight why he doesn't fit there in a 4-3. His only hope to remain on this team is to beat out other depth at DT. If he's ever used at end, I think it would be in situational short yardage packages where you want more bulk on the line in general.

This idea that the Rams drafted Carriker and then miscast him by moving him to DT instead of keeping him at DE is one of the more frustrating fan arguments I've seen in recent years. The guy came into the combine @ 296 pounds, if I recall. I'm not sure I saw one service or site that had him as a 4-3 end as a pro. The two biggest things that have stopped Carriker from being effective in this league are (1) injuries and (2) bouncing back and forth from NT to UT and not settling into the three-technique spot.

zachsaints52
01-02-2010, 10:16 PM
Trading Carriker for Dorsey seems like a pretty good trade for both sides

cvv84
01-02-2010, 10:44 PM
Trading Carriker for Dorsey seems like a pretty good trade for both sides

Dorsey has been a stud this year. The Chiefs will have no interest in trading him.

FloridaSkinzFan
01-03-2010, 10:08 PM
What are chances the Rams take QB with the 1st overall pick? How has bulger played this season?

NGSeiler
01-03-2010, 10:40 PM
What are chances the Rams take QB with the 1st overall pick? How has bulger played this season?

Here's what I said on the topic two weeks ago in this thread, which remains my opinion now...

At this point, I really think it's tough to argue someone else other than Suh. The "it's time" QB argument is pretty weak, IMO. Whether it's time or not, you evaluate the players and if someone stands out above the rest (ie. Suh), you take him. Take away a specific team making the pick, and is anyone going to argue one of these QBs over Suh in this class? Really?

Outside fans or mock-makers will argue that the Rams passing on guys like Ryan and Sanchez have contributed to them being one of the worst teams in football the last few years. I'd argue that they'll remain one of the worst teams in football if they pass on better talent because they feel pressured to take a QB.

If the Rams somehow get the #2 pick and Suh is off the board, then I think QB is much more possible (I say that to emphasize that this isn't a case of just being afraid to take a high 1st round QB). But right now, I just don't see how you pass on Suh to take Clausen or Bradford.

Maybe workouts change things, but I think Suh has to be the frontrunner at this point, even with the Rams' need for a QB of the future.

chapo123
01-03-2010, 10:52 PM
my mock draft

1. jimmy clausen - qb
2. mike iupati - g
3. ed dickson
4. kyle calloway - ot
5. walter thurmond III - cb
6. josh pinkard - s
7. lagarrete blount - rb

offensive line - qb are the teams biggest needs right now

NGSeiler
01-03-2010, 11:42 PM
my mock draft

1. jimmy clausen - qb
2. mike iupati - g
3. ed dickson
4. kyle calloway - ot
6. josh pinkard - s
7. lagarrete blount - rb

1. My opinion on taking a QB over Suh has been well established, so I'll move on from this one.

2 & 4. Though the OL has been inconsistent this year and ended on a sour note today, I don't see the Rams going OL with two of their first four picks. They currently have better personnal at guard than at tackle, so I'd like to see the Rams look elsewhere in the second round. Calloway in the fourth has my interest peaked.

3. Intriguing pick; I like it. The Rams certainly need help at the position.

5 & 6. Thurmond is a solid pick, though I'm not a huge fan of Pinkard. Still, I don't think additions to the secondary will have much impact without additional improvements to the DL, namely the pass rush, which has been ignored in this mock.

7. Won't fit with the character profile the Rams are looking for, IMO.

Overall, I think the middle rounds are solid, but I'm not a huge fan of what you've projected at the top and bottom rounds of this mock. As always, the effort is appreciated! I know these can be tricky to come up with.

holt_bruce81
01-04-2010, 02:44 PM
my mock draft

1. jimmy clausen - qb
2. mike iupati - g
3. ed dickson
4. kyle calloway - ot
6. josh pinkard - s
7. lagarrete blount - rb

Don't care much for the 1st round pick. I'm not a big Jimmy fan, I think Bradford and Pike would be better picks. (at the QB position)

Blount won't be there in the 7th. He's to talented, some team will take a chance on him earlier in the draft. He would be a great pick in the 4th or 5th round. And NGSeiler I have to disagree with you, Rams need to start taking chances on Questionable Character guys. They don't have the talent to be taking every "bad character" guy off there big board.

chapo123
01-04-2010, 05:19 PM
clausen is the only qb worth #1 right now. st. louis can't afford to use undrafted qb's or pay bulger more to be unproductive. they need a qb.

NGSeiler
01-05-2010, 12:02 AM
And NGSeiler I have to disagree with you, Rams need to start taking chances on Questionable Character guys. They don't have the talent to be taking every "bad character" guy off there big board.

Perhaps, but I don't think they have a strong enough core to be able to risk resources on questionable character guys. Spagnuolo and company didn't establish the Four Pillars philosophy for one season; while they may be a bit more flexible in the future, I don't expect them to abandon it. Nor do I see much about Blount to make me think he's the guy they'll make the exception.

clausen is the only qb worth #1 right now. st. louis can't afford to use undrafted qb's or pay bulger more to be unproductive. they need a qb.

Why is it either Clausen in round one or an undrafted QB? There are quite a few rounds in between there.

stlouisfan37
01-05-2010, 12:03 AM
My Mock:

1) Ndomakong Suh - DT - Nebraska
2) Mike Iupati - G - Idaho
3) Dennis Pitta - TE - BYU
4) Dan Lefevour - QB - Central Michigan
5) Sam Shields - CB - Miami
6) Freddie Barnes - WR - Bowling Green
7) Deji Karim - RB - Southern Illinois

NGSeiler
01-05-2010, 09:23 AM
Didn't figure we needed a new offseason discussion thread since we've had this one going for a while, so I just renamed it and stuck it. Yeah.

rockio42
01-05-2010, 07:38 PM
My Mock:

1) Ndomakong Suh - DT - Nebraska
2) Mike Iupati - G - Idaho
3) Dennis Pitta - TE - BYU
4) Dan Lefevour - QB - Central Michigan
5) Sam Shields - CB - Miami
6) Freddie Barnes - WR - Bowling Green
7) Deji Karim - RB - Southern Illinois

I like this one a lot more than some other I'ves seen...

1 - Obviously I love Suh in the 1st so no need to go in depth there

2 - yes O-Line is a need and I have no problem with the pick, but i just wish we could've seen more of John Greco (played well his rookie year, didn't get much time this year) but as it is I like the pick

3 - I'm not going to say that TE isn't a need but I doubt it is a 3rd round need, NEED to get a LB in the first 3-4 rounds...we started Paris Lenon and a 7th round pick as times this past year

4 - LOVE THE PICK

5 - like it, good positional need and I think the value is right on

6 - wow, if we could get him here i think he could develop nicely after a great career at Bowling Green

7 - don't know much about him, but we most likely will need a back-up RB (and i don't think saying this every 7th round is going to yield results but i digress...)

NGSeiler
01-06-2010, 10:07 AM
Did my best to transcribe it, enjoy!

Jim Thomas on Bernie's Radio Show (1/4)

Bernie: Do the Rams seem to love Suh as much as pundits and scouts do?

Thomas: Devaney shows he's a good poker player, but we quoted him on record as saying Suh is a top player, #1 prospect though they don't have a board yet. Head coach, defensive oriented. Made his bones in NY with tons of DL talent. Rams depth chart @ DT, came close to setting franchise record of most rushing yards allowed. Moderately better in last few games but run defense up the middle is a problem. Makes all the sense in the world to haver that high a grade on Suh even with all other needs. If he's the best player, there's definitely a spot for him. All signs are they like him a lot.

B: Has Thomas picked up any hints that the Rams could fall in love with a QB? Maybe b/c of great workout?

T: In the position the Rams are in, unless it's the workout of all workouts, doesn't think Sam Bradford fits in. Won't throw until 4-6 weeks before draft. Are some people who like Jimmy Clausen, but enough to take #1 overall? Doesn't see it. THere are people in the building who like McCoy, even some who like Tebow, but the sense is there's no one they like enough to take #1. Now, trade down? Great theory, but Gerald McCoy is pretty good 1B to Suh. So if they want DT, why trade up when you can get McCoy?

B: Rams like CJ Spiller, but you already have a running back. Spiller could return kicks and be a receiver in situations, don't know if SJ will hold up, Spiller is intriguing guy.

T: Rams do like him a lot, and maybe if they had #2 pick Spiller might have been in play even though that's a little high. Bit of a question mark next to centerpiece of offense. SJ is great, won doubters over, but what about his back? Say with rest he'll be fine, but we know RBs hit wall and hit wall suddenly. SJ is young but with workload he gets, they need a bonafide 1A. Then look @ OT position. Wouldn't be surprised if Barron isn't back and Smith is LT next year, but do you feel safe enough with the concussion to make that commitment in 2010? Couple issues that look like strengths but you have to wonder. Complicates how the Rams look @ this offseason.

You can hear it for yourself here...

http://www.101espn.com/post/32022_the_bernie_miklasz_show_note_monday_010410

noondog
01-06-2010, 03:14 PM
As much as I'd like to see the Rams pass on Suh, I'd be more than happy with McCoy.

One thing that will be intersting to watch is, if TB takes Berry or McClain at #3, how the contracts will shake out as far as guaranteed money and overall value go. No skilled position players in the top 3 is not very common. STL's negotiations pre-draft will be intriguing.

PossumBoy9
01-06-2010, 06:01 PM

I agree Clausen should be the pick.

holt_bruce81
01-06-2010, 08:12 PM
I agree Clausen should be the pick.

You do know QBs will be available in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th rounds.....right?

stlouisfan37
01-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Rockio42,

Thanks for your commentary on my mock draft. Let me just say that I am far from finished.

I too was also thinking LB as a possibility in the 3rd round. However I decided that if Pitta was still there he could be a very valuable offensive weapon. Our passing game is atrocious.

I saw Dan Lefevour tonight in the GMAC Bowl and he was everything I had hoped. Big, strong arm, VERY mobile for a guy his size, smart and tons of composure.

I do think that Freddie Barnes could possibly fall to the first pick of the 6th round. He said a few weeks ago that his fastest 40 time last summer was a 4.62. He also admitted that, being a qb coming out of high school, he had not gotten in much speed work. This tells me that he will probably run in the mid-4.5's at the combine, which will not excite anyone, but that he could get faster down the road. His hands are excellent and, though he is not super fast, he always seems to get open and knows how to move the sticks. He is also a great athlete and can throw the ball. I think he could bring some offensive consistency to a team that desperately needs it.

Deji Karim is the top rated RB from the FCS. He is 5'11" and 200 lbs with great quickness and excellent breakaway speed. Scored 18 TD's this year and had nearly 1700 yards after missing all of 2008 with a knee injury, which tells me he has a very strong work ethic. Rushed for over 100 yards 9 times this year, including two 200 yard games. Also caught 17 passes for 216 yards and a TD. Also returned kicks for a 35 yard average. Went to the same school as Brandon Jacobs. Below is a link.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/287821-southern-illinois-deji-karim-has-nfl-scouts-rushing-to-campus

holt_bruce81
01-06-2010, 11:25 PM
http://www.101espn.com/post/32314_the_fast_lane_show_note_wednesday_1610

Nice interview with Devaney on 101.1

Scroll down to listen if you want.

freebirdsrams02
01-07-2010, 03:24 AM
Watched LeFevour tonight in the Bowl game and he looked good. If we can get him in the 3rd or 4th round that would be a steal. I am sure his stock will rise with work outs.

It will be interesting to watcth the National Championship Game. A lot of big time prospects will be on the field from both teams.

chapo123
01-07-2010, 09:46 AM

yes, i'm aware of this. however, can you endure another season of watching a injury plagued by injures or having a combo of boller/null again? no. he is the best qb in the draft & this team has not had a solid qb since warner left. it's time st.louis goes after a new qb.

rockio42
01-07-2010, 12:43 PM
yes, i'm aware of this. however, can you endure another season of watching a injury plagued by injures or having a combo of boller/null again? no. he is the best qb in the draft & this team has not had a solid qb since warner left. it's time st.louis goes after a new qb.

you can't go into the season thinking there is just going to be a **** load of injuries again

PossumBoy9
01-07-2010, 12:50 PM

Uh....of course.

What QBs later look like decent picks to you? Obviously, I'm against wasting a good pick on a QB that simply won't make it in the NFL, like Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow.

The best bet of being a good QB in this draft is Jimmy Clausen. Unfortunately, Jake Locker hurt the top of this draft by not declaring.

holt_bruce81
01-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Uh....of course.

What QBs later look like decent picks to you? Obviously, I'm against wasting a good pick on a QB that simply won't make it in the NFL, like Colt McCoy or Tim Tebow.

The best bet of being a good QB in this draft is Jimmy Clausen. Unfortunately, Jake Locker hurt the top of this draft by not declaring.

Tony Pike, Colt McCoy, Dan Lefevour, Sean Canfield.......and now Jevan Snead. All could be starting Quarterbacks at the next level that won't cost a 1st round pick.

I'd take Sam Bradford or Tony Pike over Jimmy Clausen.

chapo123
01-07-2010, 06:00 PM
you can't go into the season thinking there is just going to be a **** load of injuries again

with bulger as a starting qb in the league yes...i did go into this season thinking that.

NGSeiler
01-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Speculation that Bulger may retire...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/4FD69B578F4788AC862576A40006A7F6?OpenDocument

But his agent does his best Lee Corso impression and pulls a "Not so fast"...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/bryanburwell/story/6CAC019C8D07EB0D862576A5001B5543?OpenDocument

chapo123
01-08-2010, 10:03 AM
bulger should. he makes too much money & is prone to getting hurt all the time. a new qb via draft, free agency, or trade is something that needs to be done.

NGSeiler
01-08-2010, 10:11 AM
bulger should. he makes too much money & is prone to getting hurt all the time. a new qb via draft, free agency, or trade is something that needs to be done.

I doubt he's considering retirement because he makes too much money. I imagine he's considering it because he doesn't want to continue risking his post-football quality of life by continuing to get pummeled behind the Rams' inconsistent offensive line. Like him or not (and I think it's clear some just don't), he's taken an absolute beating in his career.

NGSeiler
01-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Per the Post Dispatch, the contract status of every Rams player...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/0F7B8C35FDA8CFA7862576A4000741A2?OpenDocument

chapo123
01-08-2010, 07:03 PM
I doubt he's considering retirement because he makes too much money. I imagine he's considering it because he doesn't want to continue risking his post-football quality of life by continuing to get pummeled behind the Rams' inconsistent offensive line. Like him or not (and I think it's clear some just don't), he's taken an absolute beating in his career.

my point the whole time is st louis needs someone fresh. not saying they will pan out any better due to the horrible line they have but some new legs need to be back there.

NGSeiler
01-08-2010, 09:31 PM
my point the whole time is st louis needs someone fresh. not saying they will pan out any better due to the horrible line they have but some new legs need to be back there.

Agreed, and I'm not sure anyone disagrees with the need for a QB of the future. The only debate is how the Rams get him.

freebirdsrams02
01-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Was watching NFL Live and saw that Joshua Cribbs wants a trade. Does anyone see the Rams going after a player like him. We have never had a return man like him and his speed would help on the offense. Depending on what they are asking I would like to see him in a Rams uniform.

rockio42
01-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Was watching NFL Live and saw that Joshua Cribbs wants a trade. Does anyone see the Rams going after a player like him. We have never had a return man like him and his speed would help on the offense. Depending on what they are asking I would like to see him in a Rams uniform.

Danny Amendola doesn't have break away speed and probably won't return a lot of touchdowns, but he was very very good this year at returning, not saying that that should stop the Rams from looking at this, but its probably not a high priority for the front office

JMAX12
01-09-2010, 03:11 AM
Rd 1- Suh- this guy is a beast, he almost single handedly beat texas. carriker has been a bust so far, because he hasnt been able to get on the field do to injuries.

Rd 2- 1st option- OLB Sean Witherspoon, 2nd Option DE Chris Wooton- 3rd option DE Greg Hardy. These three players are all projected late first round as of now. one's draft stock may slip a little, if not one of them is bound to drop out of the first.

Rd 3- Colt McCoy/Tony Pike- Both are tough guys. If any question of Colt McCoys minor shoulder injury comes up he may slide, he also has the athletisism to escape pressure and even run the ball. Tony Pike is big and has shown that he can play through injuries, something that we havnt seen much of with Bulger.

Rd 4- im kind of up in the air with pick. we could draft a WR, we could pick up a DE or OLB based on what we picked before

Rd 5- RB LaMarcus Coker- Runs around a 4.30 40 yard dash his fastest time was a 4.28. He would be a great change of pace back and would take some off of the huge load SJ carries. He started for Tennessee in 2007 but was kicked off the team for drugs. He transfered to Hampton College. I looked into his character issues and coaches teammates and himself have all came out and said over the last 2 years he has matured.

6 and 7 rounds and Eagles pick and i do believe we got a pick from the Falcons- just find some hidden talent

JMAX12
01-09-2010, 03:11 AM
Rd 1- Suh- this guy is a beast, he almost single handedly beat texas. carriker has been a bust so far, because he hasnt been able to get on the field do to injuries.

Rd 2- 1st option- OLB Sean Witherspoon, 2nd Option DE Chris Wooton- 3rd option DE Greg Hardy. These three players are all projected late first round as of now. one's draft stock may slip a little, if not one of them is bound to drop out of the first.

Rd 3- Colt McCoy/Tony Pike- Both are tough guys. If any question of Colt McCoys minor shoulder injury comes up he may slide, he also has the athletisism to escape pressure and even run the ball. Tony Pike is big and has shown that he can play through injuries, something that we havnt seen much of with Bulger.

Rd 4- im kind of up in the air with pick. we could draft a WR, we could pick up a DE or OLB based on what we picked before

Rd 5- RB LaMarcus Coker- Runs around a 4.30 40 yard dash his fastest time was a 4.28. He would be a great change of pace back and would take some off of the huge load SJ carries. He started for Tennessee in 2007 but was kicked off the team for drugs. He transfered to Hampton College. I looked into his character issues and coaches teammates and himself have all came out and said over the last 2 years he has matured.

6 and 7 rounds and Eagles pick and i do believe we got a pick from the Falcons- just find some hidden talent

tfry
01-12-2010, 10:31 AM

Rd1 - Agreed
Rd2 - I think we need to address the QB or WR position first. Our defense wasn't so much the problem last year as was our offense. We just can't afford to overlook the receiver position until round 4 or 5 again.
Rd3 - QB or WR depending on what we take in the 2nd round.
Rd4 - Another receiver or TE.
Rd5 - Starting bolstering our LBs and defensive backfield.

rockio42
01-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Rd1 - Agreed
Rd2 - I think we need to address the QB or WR position first. Our defense wasn't so much the problem last year as was our offense. We just can't afford to overlook the receiver position until round 4 or 5 again.
Rd3 - QB or WR depending on what we take in the 2nd round.
Rd4 - Another receiver or TE.
Rd5 - Starting bolstering our LBs and defensive backfield.

Yes WR was a problem this year but only because of injuries...Avery was hurt and didn't play like he did as a rookie, I expect him to improve this year. Robinson was a beast until the ACL and if he comes back then we have a good 1-2. Gibson should only get better and was pretty good last year despite playing as a number 2 as a fifth rounder. Take away that one drop in New Orleans and Danny Amendola was almost flawless this past year. I agree we need WR but its not a first two round need.

freebirdsrams02
01-12-2010, 03:45 PM
I saw that Aaron Hernandez declared for the draft. He is the TE out of Floirda. The guy is a stud and we have never had an elite TE. McMichael is a FA this year and everyone else we have is not very good. What about taking Suh with the #1 pick and Hernandez in the 2 round. I have not seen much on his draft status but a TE will help a young or in expereinced QB with easy routes and will help stretch the field so WR get more one on ones.

NGSeiler
01-12-2010, 03:52 PM
Yes WR was a problem this year but only because of injuries...Avery was hurt and didn't play like he did as a rookie, I expect him to improve this year. Robinson was a beast until the ACL and if he comes back then we have a good 1-2. Gibson should only get better and was pretty good last year despite playing as a number 2 as a fifth rounder. Take away that one drop in New Orleans and Danny Amendola was almost flawless this past year. I agree we need WR but its not a first two round need.

WR was not just a problem because of injuries, though. The guys on the field had a lot of difficulty getting separation and consistently catching the football. There were also some route issues. Maybe some of this gets fixed with more experience, but all of these guys had chances to emerge this season on a team that was hungry for receiver help and none really did.

I think you've exaggerated Robinson's impact this season by calling him a beast, as well. Project his numbers out to a full season and I don't think he even breaks 900 yards. Gibson showed flashes but struggled with consistency from week to week, IMO. Amendola is at best IMO a slot receiver. I don't see him being more than a #3 or #4 here. I don't think this team views wide receiver as one of the top priorities, but they need playmakers, and if a receiver with legit #1 potential is there at the top of the second, you have to consider it IMO.

I saw that Aaron Hernandez declared for the draft. He is the TE out of Floirda. The guy is a stud and we have never had an elite TE. McMichael is a FA this year and everyone else we have is not very good. What about taking Suh with the #1 pick and Hernandez in the 2 round. I have not seen much on his draft status but a TE will help a young or in expereinced QB with easy routes and will help stretch the field so WR get more one on ones.

I think the Rams could definitely use a legit starting tight end, especially if they don't make a significant addition to the receiving corps. If Hernandez ends up being good value at the top of the second, then I think you have to consider it. That being said, right now I think there would be other prospects of better value at that spot.

KCJ58
01-12-2010, 03:53 PM
I agree with drafting Suh #1 in the 2nd round we look at offense either QB, WR, or TE, Jermaine Gresham in the 2nd round is he falls would be a great pick up

holt_bruce81
01-12-2010, 06:04 PM
I think the Rams like their Receiving core and don't see it as important to upgrade the position as a lot of fans do.

I think they would be fine with Avery, Robinson, Gibson, Burton, Amendola for next year. Maybe add a veteran Receiver.

freebirdsrams02
01-12-2010, 06:36 PM
I have to agree that WR is not a big isuue also. They just need to stay healthy.

I just looked at the TE list and saw that there at least 4 good prospects and if we can get one to drop to the 3rd round this is what I would like to see:

#1 pick - Suh
#2 pick - Mike Iupita, OL, Idaho
#3 pick - Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
#4 pick - Dan Lefevor, QB, Central Michigan
5 Round on best player available.

chapo123
01-13-2010, 10:49 PM
updated mock:

1. ndamukong suh - dt
2. mike iupati - g
3. jd walton - c
4. darrell stucky - s
5. sean canfield - qb
6. chris carter - wr
7. jeff byars - g

tfry
01-14-2010, 09:25 AM
I think the Rams like their Receiving core and don't see it as important to upgrade the position as a lot of fans do.

I think they would be fine with Avery, Robinson, Gibson, Burton, Amendola for next year. Maybe add a veteran Receiver.

There is no way I would feel comfortable going into next season with Avery, Robinson, Gibson, Burton, and Amendola. None of these guys can stay healthy and none give us a big redzone presence. I'd really like to see a veteran added on FA, but if not, we desperately need an upgrade at receiver. This is arguably the worst receiving core in the NFL.

NGSeiler
01-14-2010, 09:44 AM
I don't think this team views wide receiver as one of the top priorities

Yep, we're agreed there. But the team essentially took the same approach before last season, and the unit was one of the weakest in the league. A 1-15 team can't keep relying on the same guys to just suddenly step up and become studs; sometimes you have to go out and improve your talent. Which is why I'm saying, while they may not view it as a top need, you've got to consider going that route if a guy slips to them in the second round.

PossumBoy9
01-14-2010, 09:46 AM
Tony Pike, Colt McCoy, Dan Lefevour, Sean Canfield.......and now Jevan Snead. All could be starting Quarterbacks at the next level that won't cost a 1st round pick.

I'd take Sam Bradford or Tony Pike over Jimmy Clausen.

Like I said, C. McCoy is simply a waste of a pick....no thanks.

How do you go Pike over Clausen?

JMAX12
01-15-2010, 03:55 PM
news from espn.com
its rumored that a deal for vick could happen.
which would make suh the #1 pick

zachsaints52
01-15-2010, 05:09 PM
I have to agree that WR is not a big isuue also. They just need to stay healthy.

I just looked at the TE list and saw that there at least 4 good prospects and if we can get one to drop to the 3rd round this is what I would like to see:

#1 pick - Suh
#2 pick - Mike Iupita, OL, Idaho
#3 pick - Aaron Hernandez, TE, Florida
#4 pick - Dan Lefevor, QB, Central Michigan
5 Round on best player available.

Would be an amazing draft for the Rams. Suh on the DL would make them all better, Iupiti and Brown in front of Karney blocking for SJAX, Hernandez to give the QB a under guy, and LeFevor to groom. Very nice.

NGSeiler
01-15-2010, 07:10 PM
news from espn.com

Gonna need a link for that.

JMAX12
01-15-2010, 08:53 PM
on espn its a insider only story
but if you google vick to rams, there are quite a few sites with the rumors

NGSeiler
01-15-2010, 09:39 PM
on espn its a insider only story
but if you google vick to rams, there are quite a few sites with the rumors

If it's from their Rumors section and the title is, "New team wants Vick?" then all they're doing is citing this article from the Post Dispatch...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/8C70C404D9ECF4EA862576AC000FD865?OpenDocument

...which really doesn't report any new news. Again, unless it's a different story. Maybe I misread your post, but it came across as if you found something that suggested it was imminent. However just about every story I've seen has only gone so far as identifying the Rams as a possible team that could be interested. AKA speculation.

JMAX12
01-15-2010, 11:32 PM
nahh sorry man. i didnt mean that it was like a for sure thing.
just that it was a serious possibility. and that it would pretty much lock in suh as our #1 pick, sorry for the confusion. the more i think about it, the more i like the idea. we could pick up a 4th or 5th round qb then, or try and get jake locker next year. then we can have an open qb battle and possibly let vick take over and see if he can still produce. he isnt going to help the passing game too much altho avery can use his speen and get deep now, but vick would be able to make some plays with his feet. and we can design plays for him. possible draft a scat back type and i also think if we got him we would deffiently need to draft hernandez or gresham, when vick played for atlanta he liked alge a lottt.

holt_bruce81
01-16-2010, 09:45 PM
nahh sorry man. i didnt mean that it was like a for sure thing.
just that it was a serious possibility. and that it would pretty much lock in suh as our #1 pick, sorry for the confusion. the more i think about it, the more i like the idea. we could pick up a 4th or 5th round qb then, or try and get jake locker next year. then we can have an open qb battle and possibly let vick take over and see if he can still produce. he isnt going to help the passing game too much altho avery can use his speen and get deep now, but vick would be able to make some plays with his feet. and we can design plays for him. possible draft a scat back type and i also think if we got him we would deffiently need to draft hernandez or gresham, when vick played for atlanta he liked alge a lottt.

Suh already is the pick (barring a trade down) no matter what happens in the free agency period. No Quarterback this year warrants a 1st overall selection.

PossumBoy9
01-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Suh already is the pick (barring a trade down) no matter what happens in the free agency period. No Quarterback this year warrants a 1st overall selection.

But a defensive tackle does?

holt_bruce81
01-17-2010, 10:14 PM
But a defensive tackle does?

Yes. Suh is arguably the best Defensive Tackle to come out in the last 10 years. No Quarterback in this years draft screams "franchise Quarterback" Rams shouldn't reach for a Quarterback just for the heck of it.

tfry
01-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Yes. Suh is arguably the best Defensive Tackle to come out in the last 10 years. No Quarterback in this years draft screams "franchise Quarterback" Rams shouldn't reach for a Quarterback just for the heck of it.

Exactly. and Suh isn't just the best in the last 10 years, but arguably all-time. Spags wins with his d-line, why not get the player that will help him the most?

NGSeiler
01-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Unless you're sure in your feeling that the quarterback you're taking is a franchise top-caliber quarterback, then I'm not sure how you can pull the trigger on the guy first overall when there's another prospect who stands out as much as Suh.

Ultimately, and perhaps a completely obvious statement, but it's going to depend on how the Rams view Clausen or Bradford, whomever they regard as the top passer. If they think one (or either) of those guys can be the next Manning, Brees, Rodgers, they very well may pull the trigger.

But if the opinions in the Rams' draft room are as divided as most fans and pundits seem to be about whether there's a top franchise caliber quarterback available, then I suspect they go with Suh.

zachsaints52
01-18-2010, 06:16 PM

Example Alex Smith

thule
01-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm interested in your guys RFA situation. Is the organization still high on Atogwe? Any guesses on the tender you guys will offer him coming off of a season after being put on the IR? I haven't seen anything talked about here.

NGSeiler
01-19-2010, 12:46 PM
I'd be shocked if they didn't tender him at a first round value. They franchised him last year, so there's no reason to think they won't at least tender him at a reasonably high level.

NGSeiler
01-20-2010, 04:53 PM
Kiper's first mock is out, and he has the Rams taking...

1. St. Louis Rams
Record: 1-15

Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
Nobody questions that the top need for the Rams is a quarterback. But unless St. Louis trades down -- an extremely difficult proposition on multiple levels -- it shouldn't take a quarterback with its first pick. Suh is maybe the most dominating defensive tackle I've seen in 32 years of doing this. He can be effective immediately for the Rams, and they may address the QB with a trade.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4841432
(have to be an insider to see the whole draft, but the Rams' pick is available to all)

thule
01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
I'd be shocked if they didn't tender him at a first round value. They franchised him last year, so there's no reason to think they won't at least tender him at a reasonably high level.

Which tender? 3.1 million or the 2.4 million. Did the safety play drop off when he went down for the year? Just something to think about from a FO standpoint also.

NGSeiler
01-20-2010, 07:23 PM
Which tender? 3.1 million or the 2.4 million. Did the safety play drop off when he went down for the year? Just something to think about from a FO standpoint also.

Atogwe wasn't having a great year, so I'm not sure how big of a dropoff there was whenever he left the line-up. But the Rams' depth at safety is not stellar, and again, I don't see much reason to not tender him with at least a first round value.

Do you envision a team giving him an offer sheet if he's tendered at a first round value (not first and third)?

thule
01-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Atogwe wasn't having a great year, so I'm not sure how big of a dropoff there was whenever he left the line-up. But the Rams' depth at safety is not stellar, and again, I don't see much reason to not tender him with at least a first round value.

Do you envision a team giving him an offer sheet if he's tendered at a first round value (not first and third)?

Not coming off a season where he was put on the IR. I don't know how much they value him...but lowest tender would net a 3rd round pick since he was drafted there. That'd be a ballsy move. Just curious on what you guys thought. Thanks for the input.

NGSeiler
01-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Scott was on Scout Radio yesterday (podcast here (http://profootball.scout.com/2/939650.html)), and about half an hour into the broadcast, the Rams came up. Towards the end of the discussion, while Scott thought the quarterback situation was a big question mark for St. Louis, he let it slip that his next mock would have the Rams selecting Ndamukong Suh.

holt_bruce81
01-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Mike Mayock on Suh, McCoy and Clausen......

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2010/01/mike_mayock_ndamukong_suh_and.html

Mike Mayock, the highly regarded draft analyst from the NFL Network, had a conference call today with the media and he made it clear that he believes defensive tackles Ndamukong Suh (Nebraska) and Gerald McCoy (Oklahoma) are the two best players available in the draft.

The Detroit Lions have the second overall pick in the draft and are likely to end up with either Suh and McCoy. Mayock said he believes the two players have different skills but are equally as valuable.

Mayock said Suh reminds him of a Kevin Williams (Minnesota Vikings) but might be even better. Mayock believes Suh is a little stronger in the run game while McCoy is a better pass rusher. However, the differences are small and both players offer the complete package.

I asked Mayock if there's any chance that a quarterback could move into that first overall pick and he said it was highly doubtful.

"I think it's a big reach,'' Mayock said. "The logical guy is (Oklahoma's Sam) Bradford. I'm not a big (Jimmy) Clausen fan. No way in the world in my mind -that's today, I've still got a lot more work to do on Bradford. Those two players (Suh and McCoy) just dwarf the quarterback issue.''

Recon_Six
01-25-2010, 11:17 PM
There's just so much variance of opinion on Jimmy Clausen. Obviously QB is a more important position than DT, so the Rams don't necessarily have to think he's as good of a prospect as Suh for Clausen to be the pick. On the flip side, new head coaches generally have a lot more success when they come to a team where the players match the scheme the coach likes to implement. Since the Rams don't have nearly the defensive line that the Giants did, it's understandable why the defense didn't perform very well last season. Spags needs some legitimate talent on the defensive line for his scheme to work, and until he gets that, the defense is going to struggle. Getting a solid lineman in the first two or three rounds is our second biggest need behind getting a QB.

NGSeiler
02-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Solid article about the Rams' options at the QB position...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/jeffgordon/story/B3C1BDFA84D28B3A862576C4005B6495?OpenDocument

PossumBoy9
02-10-2010, 12:11 PM
news from espn.com

Why would acquiring Vick preclude the Rams from taking a QB at #1 overall or near the top?

JMAX12
02-11-2010, 10:14 AM
we shouldnt pick a qb at 1 anyways, if we get a qb through freeagency or trade it would be to draft Suh. and besides, there are manyyy qbs that have tons of potential and skills that are projected later in the draft

holt_bruce81
02-11-2010, 04:06 PM
http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2010/02/rams-name-carolinas-reggie-scott-head-trainer/

The St. Louis Rams have named Reggie Scott as their new head athletic trainer, replacing Jim Anderson who was fired last month.

Scott comes to the Rams from the Carolina Panthers where he was assistant athletic trainer to Ryan Vermillion.

“He’s a young guy with some juice who we think will be a good fit,” coach Steve Spagnuolo said.

One of the attractions of Scott, Spagnuolo said, is that he thought he would work well with young trainers James Lomax and Tyler Williams, who were retained by the Rams and whom Spagnuolo thinks highly of.

All told, Spagnuolo interviewed four candidates for the job. Still to be filled is an assistant athletic trainer’s job held previously by Dake Walden, who also was let go by Spagnuolo.

Good hiring I guess. Never really understood the firing of Jim Anderson.

NGSeiler
02-16-2010, 08:52 AM
According to Howard Balzer's Twitter, Marc Bulger has cleaned out his locker at Rams Park...

http://twitter.com/HBalzer721

EDIT: Schefter has an update on his Twitter (http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter)...

"Rams QB Marc Bulger did not clean out his locker. Rams equipment men did, just as they cleaned out everyone's locker at end of year."

NGSeiler
02-17-2010, 02:24 PM
The Philadelphia Eagles haven't initiated any talks to trade quarterback Michael Vick, and they might not this spring, but that doesn't preclude them from doing so at some point.

The Eagles have until the first week of the league year -- which begins March 5 -- to deal Vick before having to pay him a $1.5 million roster bonus. A deal before then might be unlikely because the Eagles haven't called other teams about Vick, according to league sources.

Sources from two teams who would be in the market for a quarterback said they don't expect Vick to be dealt until the preseason. That's when his value could be enhanced by strong preseason performances, a full offseason of work with his team and injuries/uncertainty at quarterback on other teams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81670f3b&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

NGSeiler
02-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Quoting from Rotoworld since I can't link to the actual ESPN Insider article...

ESPN's Len Pasquarelli reports that Rams scouts "are becoming increasingly convinced" that Nebraska DT Ndamukong Suh is the best player in the draft.

Pasquarelli acknowledges that it's a "relatively close call" between Suh and Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy, but the Rams reportedly believe that Suh has the potential to make Chris Long and Adam Carriker better. Drafting Suh to play the "three technique" position next to NT Cliff Ryan might allow the Rams to move Carriker out to end on early downs, helping the team's run defense. Carriker, though, wouldn't be a big sack threat rushing off the edge.

holt_bruce81
02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
A dominating DT makes the whole defense better, not just two players. And I pray they don't move Carriker to DE, he'd be terrible IMO.

Morton
02-20-2010, 08:44 PM
Here's the deal.

If the Rams draft Suh #1, and Chris Long finally matures into an upper tier pass-rusher (more likely with Suh in the line - elite players make other players around them better), and they grab Michael Vick from the Eagles... let's say we assume Steven Jackson is still putting up elite numbers next year ... The Rams have a legit dual running threat on offense, and a potentially top 10 defense if Suh and Long pan out. I don't know about the secondary, but the line should be really strong.

I could easily see a 10-6 or 11-5 season and a potential playoff appearance given this situation.

If they decide to draft Clausen or Bradford with the #1 spot, and pass on Suh, the defensive line will be average at best, and the rookie QB will undoutedly struggle his first year with no real decent wideouts to throw to. Another 1-15, 2-14 season. 6-10 at best, imho. Then again, two, three years from now, if that QB isn't a bust, you might get that 10-6/11-5 season later on down the road, BUT that is all dependant upon that QB not busting, and further drafting to solidify the team down the road.

If I were the GM, and I wanted to get people in the stadium by getting a winning season for the first time in a long while, I go the Vick/Suh route. The future potential of the Bradford/Clausen route undoubtedly has a higher potential ceiling, but it also has a serious potential to extend the record of losing seasons for even longer, much longer.

NGSeiler
02-21-2010, 09:27 AM
I just don't see that quick of a turnaround happening, but especially if Vick is involved. I don't have very much faith in Vick as a legitimate starter in this league at this point.

KCJ58
02-21-2010, 12:44 PM
i don't get people connecting Vick to the Rams, he wouldn't fit our offense we would have to change it to fit in, I get that we need a QB, but Vick as our QB? he just spent the 2 last years in jail basically now we want him to be our starter just because he played a couple of down for the Eagles, if were gonna get a veteran QB to replace Bulger, please don't pick up Vick. I don't see him working in St. Louis, I'd rather pick up Chad Pennington or Jon Kinta for that matter than Vick

holt_bruce81
02-22-2010, 12:00 AM
i don't get people connecting Vick to the Rams, he wouldn't fit our offense we would have to change it to fit in, I get that we need a QB, but Vick as our QB? he just spent the 2 last years in jail basically now we want him to be our starter just because he played a couple of down for the Eagles, if were gonna get a veteran QB to replace Bulger, please don't pick up Vick. I don't see him working in St. Louis, I'd rather pick up Chad Pennington or Jon Kinta for that matter than Vick

Devaney was with him in Atlanta. Spags is great friends with Andy Reid. Devaney visited Michael in prison. Rams want to be a run-1st offense and build things around Steven Jackson.

I mean do you really not get the connection?

NGSeiler
02-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Some combine updates!

Here's a snippet of Devaney's presser at the combine. Link gets you the full article, and Wagoner's draft blog has more comments from Devaney:

With a new rumor popping up every day and speculation swirling around the Rams’ choice at the top of the draft, it seems the focus has shifted to a debate of philosophy. Do the Rams go for one of the top two quarterbacks or do they opt for one of the two difference makers to plant in the middle of their defensive line for the next decade?

It’s a decision that’s still a ways off but the picture is at least starting to get some clarity. And while conventional knowledge says the quarterback will always win out over the defensive tackle or any position for that matter, Devaney says it’s not that simple if the tackles are considered the superior players.

“You can’t force the issue,” Devaney said. “At some point, we need to address the quarterback situation. We are still doing that. It’s on going. We have Marc still under contract; he’s still on the Rams. You have to go through free agency. We have to see what guys are going to be out there, the status of the draft class and then make a decision. If it gets down to it and we think the defensive tackles, these two kids are far and away the highest graded players and they are the best players in the draft, we can’t force it and say ‘Hey, we have got to get a quarterback’ and draft way down on your value. But that’s what we are trying to figure out right now.”

http://www.stlouisrams.com/article/78218/

Also of note are the following two Tweets. The first from National Football Post's Wes Bunting:

Oklahoma TE Jermain Gresham says he's 100% and that he met with the entire Rams offensive coaching staff for a film session last night
22 minutes ago via web

...and the second from Greg Rosenthal:

Rob Gronkowski said the Rams told him they were taking a tight end. He won't work out until late March.
3:11 PM Feb 25th via Seesmic

Thoughts on Gresham if he slips to the top of the second round? I think he'd be an outstanding pick there. The Rams may also be able to get a solid prospect at the top of the third as well, depending on how things shake out.

NGSeiler
02-27-2010, 04:39 PM
Continuining the offseason roster process, the Rams are making one-year qualifying offers to all eight of their exclusive rights free agents: DE C.J. Ah You, CB Quincy Butler, RB Kenneth Darby, LB Larry Grant, WR Jordan Kent, OT Ryan McKee, S David Roach, and LB David Vobora.

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2010/02/rams-tender-8-exclusive-rights-fas/

NGSeiler
03-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Burwell's take on the Suh vs. Bradford debate that's probably going to rage on right up until the draft. He brings up some interesting points...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/columnists.nsf/bryanburwell/story/639D22E8E800CE58862576D80011A280?OpenDocument

NGSeiler
03-01-2010, 09:51 AM
Looks like Alex Barron is "officially" on the market...

INDIANAPOLIS — The process of making tender offers to the Rams' 13 restricted
free agents has taken an unusual twist for offensive tackle Alex Barron, a move
that can only be interpreted as the club is dangling him as trade bait.

Under league rules, the Rams must pay Barron 110 percent of his 2009 salary, or
$2.73 million in 2010. That's a dollar amount that entitles the Rams to a
first-round draft pick as compensation if they decided not to match any outside
offer.

But here comes the curveball: Although they have to pay Barron at a first-round
level, they don't have to ask for first-round draft pick compensation.

And they're not.

According to multiple league sources, the Rams informed Barron's agents Sunday
night that they will be asking for only second-round draft pick compensation
when they turn their tender offers into the league office later this week.

In essence, the Rams are throwing out a fishing line to the rest of the league,
with Barron as the trade bait.

It's another deep year for offensive tackles in the draft. Early indications
point to Jason Smith, the No. 2 overall pick in last year's draft, moving to
left tackle next season. Some of the Rams' best right tackles since the team
moved to St. Louis were middle-round picks. Ryan Tucker was a fourth-rounder;
Fred Miller, a fifth-rounder.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/BFD3451DC4925396862576D90015E0F5?OpenDocument

rockio42
03-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Looks like Alex Barron is "officially" on the market...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/BFD3451DC4925396862576D90015E0F5?OpenDocument

good riddance, maybe this means a guy like Ducasse at the top of the 2nd or Vladheer in the 3rd

holt_bruce81
03-02-2010, 08:06 PM
good riddance, maybe this means a guy like Ducasse at the top of the 2nd or Vladheer in the 3rd

Trade Barron who is a proven nfl player, a very SOLID tackle who you know will be in the starting line up every sunday.......and replace him with Ducasse or Vladheer? two players who need LOTS of work even to be a starter at the next level?

That makes complete sense.

rockio42
03-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Trade Barron who is a proven nfl player, a very SOLID tackle who you know will be in the starting line up every sunday.......and replace him with Ducasse or Vladheer? two players who need LOTS of work even to be a starter at the next level?

That makes complete sense.

I'm saying it'll be a good trade for a 3rd or 4th rounder considering we probably won't re-sign him and getting a young guy in their now is better long-term for the team

stlouisfan37
03-04-2010, 08:03 PM
So I have been doing a lot of research and reading lots of articles. Checked out the combine some. I have come to a few conclusions, based on what I hve read this year as well as players from the past...

1) I don't like Bruce Campbell. He tore it up at the combine, I know. He has the body of a huge TE and the speed and agility to go with it. I think this one is as much in my gut as it is with what everyone is saying about him not having 1st round tape to watch. It is also my opinion that guys with his body type and low body fat are not built to withstand the pounding on the line and I believe he will be very prone to injury.

A few other guys that are on my DO NOT DRAFT list: Dez Bryant (attitude), Carlos Dunlap (laziness), and Toby Gerhart (reminds me of Brian Leonard).

I'm gonna throw out a couple of ideas for the draft now...

1) Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma.
This was tough to call over Ndamakong Suh. My deciding factor? Despite a 2009 season that fell apart in Oklahoma, McCoy is much more accustomed to winning, and the Rams desperately need winners.

2) Daryl Washington, LB, TCU. Great lateral speed, instincts, can smell the ball a mile away. Would be a great playmaker beside Laurinitis. If he is not available then I like Maurice Pouncey, C, Florida; John Jerry, OG, from Ole Miss; or Charles Brown, OT, from USC.

3) Dennis Pitta, TE, BYU. I chose this guy for the Rams' 3rd round pick weeks ago and I'm sticking with it. I really like Pitta and I think he has the talent to catch 50 balls a year for 600 yards and half a dozen scores. He has deceptive speed and runs fluid routes. He is also better at blocking than given credit for and will be a great teammate. I also like Ed Dickson, TE, from Oregon. If both are gone take best available offensive lineman.

4) Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama. He's too small and he ran in the low 4.5's at the combine, which may allow him to slide to #97. I believe he will be a great nickel corner at the next level and will be an immediate impact player in the return game.

5) If we take Washington in 2nd: Matt Tenant, C, Boston College. Another lunchpail lineman from a long line of BC maulers. I also like Tony Washington, OT, Abilene Christian; and Marshall Newhouse, OT, from TCU; or Chris Scott, G/T, from Tennessee. If we take a lineman in the 2nd: George Selvie, OLB, S. Florida.

6) Bill Stull, QB, Pittsburgh. I think Stull is a sleeper and could be a stud down the road with proper grooming.

7) Jeremy Williams, WR, Tulane or Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green. Both are reliable receivers who will not burn anyone but catch everything and run good routes. I also like Pat Paschall, RB, N. Dakota St.

holt_bruce81
03-04-2010, 09:18 PM
So I have been doing a lot of research and reading lots of articles. Checked out the combine some. I have come to a few conclusions, based on what I hve read this year as well as players from the past...

1) I don't like Bruce Campbell. He tore it up at the combine, I know. He has the body of a huge TE and the speed and agility to go with it. I think this one is as much in my gut as it is with what everyone is saying about him not having 1st round tape to watch. It is also my opinion that guys with his body type and low body fat are not built to withstand the pounding on the line and I believe he will be very prone to injury.

A few other guys that are on my DO NOT DRAFT list: Dez Bryant (attitude), Carlos Dunlap (laziness), and Toby Gerhart (reminds me of Brian Leonard).

I'm gonna throw out a couple of ideas for the draft now...

1) Gerald McCoy, DT, Oklahoma.
This was tough to call over Ndamakong Suh. My deciding factor? Despite a 2009 season that fell apart in Oklahoma, McCoy is much more accustomed to winning, and the Rams desperately need winners.

2) Daryl Washington, LB, TCU. Great lateral speed, instincts, can smell the ball a mile away. Would be a great playmaker beside Laurinitis. If he is not available then I like Maurice Pouncey, C, Florida; John Jerry, OG, from Ole Miss; or Charles Brown, OT, from USC.

3) Dennis Pitta, TE, BYU. I chose this guy for the Rams' 3rd round pick weeks ago and I'm sticking with it. I really like Pitta and I think he has the talent to catch 50 balls a year for 600 yards and half a dozen scores. He has deceptive speed and runs fluid routes. He is also better at blocking than given credit for and will be a great teammate. I also like Ed Dickson, TE, from Oregon. If both are gone take best available offensive lineman.

4) Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama. He's too small and he ran in the low 4.5's at the combine, which may allow him to slide to #97. I believe he will be a great nickel corner at the next level and will be an immediate impact player in the return game.

5) If we take Washington in 2nd: Matt Tenant, C, Boston College. Another lunchpail lineman from a long line of BC maulers. I also like Tony Washington, OT, Abilene Christian; and Marshall Newhouse, OT, from TCU; or Chris Scott, G/T, from Tennessee. If we take a lineman in the 2nd: George Selvie, OLB, S. Florida.

6) Bill Stull, QB, Pittsburgh. I think Stull is a sleeper and could be a stud down the road with proper grooming.

7) Jeremy Williams, WR, Tulane or Freddie Barnes, WR, Bowling Green. Both are reliable receivers who will not burn anyone but catch everything and run good routes. I also like Pat Paschall, RB, N. Dakota St.

Sam Bradford #1!!!!!!!!!!!

stlouisfan37
03-04-2010, 09:49 PM
I don't like Bradford enough to pass on such great DT's. I would be much more inclined to agree with you if we were talking about Jake Locker.

stlouisfan37
03-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Okay, so I have already expressed that I don't like the idea of taking Bradford at #1. I feel the same way about Clausen, or any QB in this draft class for that matter. However, I decided for the sake of argument, to go ahead and fill in what I would do with the rest of our draft if that were to happen.

2) Brian Price, DT, UCLA. There's no denying we need better play from the defensive line so we can get off the field once in a while. I would love it if Terrence Cody or Dan Williams would fall this far, but I don't think they will. Jared Odrick may be a pick here as well.

3) Dennis Pitta, TE, BYU. I really hope we take this guy. He should be available here in a draft that is deep with TE talent, and I think he would be a perfect fit.

4) George Selvie, DE, South Florida. No college prospect has ever reminded me more of Leonard Little. Let's just hope he is a safer driver.

5) Best lineman available. Possibilities include Tony Washington, OT, Abilene Christian; Matt Tenant, C, Boston College (I love BC interior linemen); Marshall Newhouse, OT, TCU; Doug Palmer, OG, East Carolina.

6) Donald Butler, ILB, Washington. This guy is a bit smallish for an ILB, but I believe he can play all three LB spots and has a non-stop motor. Would get a lot more attention if he were at a stronger program.

7) Michael Smith, RB, Arkansas. Could be a great complement to Steven Jackson.

thule
03-05-2010, 01:33 AM
Looks like I was right about OJ.

Free safety O.J. Atogwe, a restricted free agent, became more attractive to teams today with St. Louis' decision to offer him the low tender. The Rams retained the right of first refusal on any offer Atogwe receives but gave up their right to free-agent compensation should he go elsewhere.

The Rams are betting that no team will overwhelm Atogwe. If Cowboys onwer-general manager Jerry Jones wanted to make a bold move, Atogwe would be a fitting subject. In the last two years, Atogwe has produced 24 takeaways in 28 games. He is good in coverage and excels at stripping the ball loose from runners.

tfry
03-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Between your two mock drafts, I'd much rather see us go this direction overall. Personally, I like McCoy and Suh way more than Bradford, but if Sam checks out medically, I think the Rams are going to have a VERY tough time passing on him.

Don't forget that we have two picks in the 5th round.

Okay, so I have already expressed that I don't like the idea of taking Bradford at #1. I feel the same way about Clausen, or any QB in this draft class for that matter. However, I decided for the sake of argument, to go ahead and fill in what I would do with the rest of our draft if that were to happen.

2) Brian Price, DT, UCLA. There's no denying we need better play from the defensive line so we can get off the field once in a while. I would love it if Terrence Cody or Dan Williams would fall this far, but I don't think they will. Jared Odrick may be a pick here as well.

3) Dennis Pitta, TE, BYU. I really hope we take this guy. He should be available here in a draft that is deep with TE talent, and I think he would be a perfect fit.

4) George Selvie, DE, South Florida. No college prospect has ever reminded me more of Leonard Little. Let's just hope he is a safer driver.

5) Best lineman available. Possibilities include Tony Washington, OT, Abilene Christian; Matt Tenant, C, Boston College (I love BC interior linemen); Marshall Newhouse, OT, TCU; Doug Palmer, OG, East Carolina.

6) Donald Butler, ILB, Washington. This guy is a bit smallish for an ILB, but I believe he can play all three LB spots and has a non-stop motor. Would get a lot more attention if he were at a stronger program.

7) Michael Smith, RB, Arkansas. Could be a great complement to Steven Jackson.

tfry
03-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Read on Rotoworld that the Rams are looking at AJ Feeley.

Would be an excellent backup IMO. He did really well in that role while he was with the Eagles and I believe Shumur was his coach.

stlouisfan37
03-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Tfry,

I didn't know that we had two 5th-round picks. Thank you for telling me that. I'm sure I should have known that. Was the second pick from the Will Witherspoon trade?

stlouisfan37
03-05-2010, 11:38 AM
The Rams signed Jay Feeley this morning in free agency. I this this should put to rest any thoughts of them taking a franchise QB in this year's draft! LOL.

Please don't misunderstand me. It isn't that I don't like Bradford. I just don't think he is THE guy, and I don't follow the mainstream thinking that you get your franchise QB in place and then build your team around him. I would much rather see the Rams build a stronger team with solid lines on both sides of the ball and then introduce the franchise QB into the mix so that he has strong leadership and chemistry around him to help carry him through his learning curve. If that means being mediocre for another year or two then so be it. In the long run it will be better for the team as well as the QB in question.

That being said, if there was a hands down stud QB to be had in this draft I think it would be a no-brainer. I just don't see Bradford being that guy. As far as I am concerned Bradford is a nice talent that was the recipient of a great system that made him look better than he actually is. I'm not saying he is a bust; I think he will develop into an above average QB in the NFL. I'm just not interested in using the #1 pick in the draft on an above average QB. Not when there are two game-changing DT's available that I feel would be more valuable to this team in the long run.

I also think that this team is going to struggle in 2010 regardless of who we draft and will likely be drafting in the top 5 again in 2011. Detroit is getting better faster, as is Kansas City and Cleveland. Tampa Bay appears to be willing to spend in free agency this offseason where the Rams look to be a team that will be very tight-fisted in this uncapped year. So it very well could end up being that the Rams inherit the #1 pick in 2011 as well. And how are we gonna feel if we are sitting there with the #1 pick on draft day next year with a shellshocked Sam Bradford on our roster after the merciless beating he has taken and knowing that we could have taken Suh or McCoy and Jake Locker is on the board?

freebirdsrams02
03-05-2010, 11:41 AM
If we grab A.J. Feeley, then I think we would pass on a QB in the first round and grab a guy in the 2nd or 3rd to build behind a guy like Feeley for a little bit. Would be better than geeting Feeley drafting Bradford and missing out on Suh or someone else.

stlouisfan37
03-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I also think that Adam Carriker would benefit as much as anyone from drafting one of the DT's. Carriker, I believe, is a natural end who has been playing out of position his entire NFL career. He started playing DT as a rookie at the request of then-head coach Scott Linehan because the greater need was at DT and he was big enough to play inside. That does not mean he is ideally suited for that position. He had played end his whole career at Nebraska. I'm pretty sure the coaches at Nebraska knew something about his game; otherwise, at 6'6" and 300 lbs he would have been playing DT all through college. IMO he is a perfect fit for RDE in Spags' system. A front 4 of Carriker, Ryan, McCoy and Long would be very imposing.

tfry
03-05-2010, 01:41 PM
St. Louis signs Feeley to a two year contract per the National Football Post.

If we grab A.J. Feeley, then I think we would pass on a QB in the first round and grab a guy in the 2nd or 3rd to build behind a guy like Feeley for a little bit. Would be better than geeting Feeley drafting Bradford and missing out on Suh or someone else.

tfry
03-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I'd rather see a rotation of Carricker on running downs and a speedy edge rusher on obvious passing downs. I just can't see Carricker getting that much pressure on the QB.

stlouisfan37
03-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Carriker is not a speed rusher, that's for sure. His ideal position in the NFL might actually be as an end in a 3-4.

That being said, I still think he is better suited to contain the run and occupy the attention of an offense's left tackle than trying to bull rush in a phone booth against 320 pound interior linemen. I think he would feel much more comfortable in open space.

Recon_Six
03-05-2010, 03:40 PM
I'd like to see him lined up as sort of a run defense oriented defensive end, then move him inside on 3rd down and bring in a pass rushing specialist outside.

stlouisfan37
03-05-2010, 04:29 PM
I'd like to see him lined up as sort of a run defense oriented defensive end, then move him inside on 3rd down and bring in a pass rushing specialist outside.

That's not a bad idea. Especially since this draft is deep in passrushing DE's who are smaller and weak against the run. George Selvie from South Florida is a perfect example.

holt_bruce81
03-05-2010, 06:17 PM
According to Jim Thomas the Seahawks were bringing in Atogwe for a visit and the Rams were close to signing a new safety........Gibril Wilson anyone.

bigfreak314
03-05-2010, 07:05 PM
I really wish we were more active but I dont see a problem with building your team thru the draft. I think we need to bring a couple of vets who come from winning organizations and are high motor/high character guys. Which we seem to be lacking all of sudden.

Notable FA still on the market that can help the team(as of 3/5 7:00pm):

Kemoeatu, Maake DT

Pitts, Chester G

Williams, Mike G

Redding, Cory DE

Dansby, Karlos ILB

Kampman, Aaron OLB

Bodden, Leigh CB

Buchanon, Phillip CB

Robinson, Dunta CB

NGSeiler
03-05-2010, 07:44 PM
I've merged the 2010 Free Agency thread into this one; just didn't see a need for two threads on the same topic (offseason moves).

The Feeley signing is interesting. He's a fine back-up in this system. In a pinch, he could probably start a couple games for the Rams. Assuming Bulger is cut/traded, Feeley could conceivably start the season if a rookie quarterback can't win the job by opening day. Wouldn't count on him for very long, but he's probably a better option than Boller if only because of his familiarity with the offensive scheme.

As for Atogwe, they didn't give him a low tender because they're down on him. They gave him a low tender because it represented a multi-million dollar savings, which I'm not sure anyone knew about until the last day or so. The Rams say they're working to get him long term still; if they don't have him signed by June, then we'll see what they think of him. Because at that point, they'll either have to pay him the $7 million or release him to the market.

Regarding Carriker, he is NOT a natural fit as a 4-3 DE. He played 3-4 DE in college, which is entirely different. I feel like we go through this every couple of months, but there's a reason everyone projected him to DT in a 4-3 when he came out. Carriker would fail miserably as a RDE going up against teams' left tackles because he doesn't have the speed to challenge the corner, and offers little in terms of an outside pass rush. Maybe he could play situationally on running downs at DE, but even that may be too much. If he's a DE, it's in the 3-4. Not going to happen in the 4-3, IMO.

Finally, as for Bradford, I think if he throws well at his pro day and checks out medically, he's probably going to be the pick. I still prefer Suh, not only because he's an elite player at his position and at worst one of the top two prospects in this class, but because I'm very concerned about how Bradford is going to hold up at the next level. He wasn't able to finish a season in college without injury (concussion in '07, torn hand ligaments in '08, AC joint issue in '09) despite playing behind a pretty good OL for the most part and in a spread system. The punishment is only going to get worse at the next level. The issue to me isn't so much getting a clean bill of health for his current injury, but rather a pattern of injuries that suggests to me he's going to have trouble staying healthy in the pros. I understand the reason the Rams would make the pick, and there's a lot to like about Bradford. But the health and durability issues are just too big for me to feel comfortable with that selection, especially over better prospects in Suh and McCoy.

stlouisfan37
03-06-2010, 12:41 AM
Seiler,

I completely agree about Bradford. I just don't have a good feeling about him as my guy. I think he is damaged goods. One analyst at the combine said it best when he sid something to the affect that the media is saying the Rams have to take a QB at #1 because they don't have a franchise QB, and that is absolutely the reason why they should not take one. If they are in love with the guy then that is one thing. But they shouldn't take one in the name of having a franchise QB. Quite frankly, I do think Bradford and Clausen would make great franchise QB's...Bradford in Washington and Clausen in Buffalo.

So the more I think about it the more I tend to agree with you guys about Carriker. I think he is an ideal fit as a DE in a 3-4. So why don't we just trade him to a team that is making the switch to a 3-4, like Kansas City or Green Bay, maybe even Washington? Does Spagnuolo see something in him that we don't? Or has he just been kept around because we haven't had anyone to replace him with?

holt_bruce81
03-06-2010, 03:57 AM
Seiler,

I completely agree about Bradford. I just don't have a good feeling about him as my guy. I think he is damaged goods. One analyst at the combine said it best when he sid something to the affect that the media is saying the Rams have to take a QB at #1 because they don't have a franchise QB, and that is absolutely the reason why they should not take one. If they are in love with the guy then that is one thing. But they shouldn't take one in the name of having a franchise QB. Quite frankly, I do think Bradford and Clausen would make great franchise QB's...Bradford in Washington and Clausen in Buffalo.

So the more I think about it the more I tend to agree with you guys about Carriker. I think he is an ideal fit as a DE in a 3-4. So why don't we just trade him to a team that is making the switch to a 3-4, like Kansas City or Green Bay, maybe even Washington? Does Spagnuolo see something in him that we don't? Or has he just been kept around because we haven't had anyone to replace him with?

So your saying Bradford and Clausen would both be great Franchise Quarterbacks, but you don't won't either one on the Rams?

stlouisfan37
03-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I was being sarcastic. I'm not impressed with either one and I believe that if we draft either one with the #1 pick this year then it will ****** the Rams' progress for the next 3 years and we will be starting over again in 2014, much like the Browns are right now.

PossumBoy9
03-06-2010, 12:39 PM
If we grab A.J. Feeley, then I think we would pass on a QB in the first round and grab a guy in the 2nd or 3rd to build behind a guy like Feeley for a little bit.

Build behind Feeley?

Who's starting then? Surely not Feeley, right?

stlouisfan37
03-06-2010, 03:10 PM
I think we should sign Jake Delhomme for two years and take a franchise QB in next year's draft. The Panthers are on the hook for a ton of his salary, so he could sign with another team for next to nothing.

While Jake Delhomme is not a savvy QB, he is a decent leader and knows how to manage an offense.

NGSeiler
03-06-2010, 03:28 PM
I think we should sign Jake Delhomme for two years and take a franchise QB in next year's draft. The Panthers are on the hook for a ton of his salary, so he could sign with another team for next to nothing.

While Jake Delhomme is not a savvy QB, he is a decent leader and knows how to manage an offense.

I don't see much point in bringing Delhomme in.

freebirdsrams02
03-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Well if we take a guy like Lefevour or McCoy and see them as a starter but don't want to throw them to the wolves. Let Feeley start the season and let them work into the starting line-up. It's not like starting Feeley could be any worse than going in with Bulger or Boller as are starter.

holt_bruce81
03-06-2010, 04:22 PM

Delhomme really? he's worse than Bulger.

They signed Feeley so he could help teach the Rams rookie Quarterback next year.

stlouisfan37
03-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Delhomme really? he's worse than Bulger.

They signed Feeley so he could help teach the Rams rookie Quarterback next year.

I don't think Bulger is a bad QB, nor do I think his career is over. I think he needs a change of venue. I think the same thing about Delhomme. His time in Carolina is up.

At least Delhomme has taken his team to the playoffs multiple times and had success. What has Feeley done? He has a total of 15 NFL starts and has missed 4 complete seasons in his illustrious career. That is not the player I want to model my franchise QB after.

holt_bruce81
03-06-2010, 08:58 PM
http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2010/03/rams-close-to-deal-with-giants-dt-robbins/

The Rams were in the process Saturday night of finalizing a deal that would bring veteran NY Giants defensive tackle Fred Robbins to St. Louis.

Robbins, who turns 33 later this month, is 6-4 and 325 pounds.

He’s known as a stout as a run defender who can play nose tackle or 3-technique defensive tackle.

“We’re determined to get bigger up front,” one Rams official said.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/06/brodney-pool-possibly-will-visit-with-the-rams/

Per a league source, safety Brodney Pool may be visiting the Rams on Monday.

Pool, a second-round draft pick of the Browns in 2005, is a restricted free agent. But since the Browns extended no RFA tender, Pool has no restrictions.

tfry
03-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Robbins - Would his signing be a sign that Bradford is the pick?

Pool - If he can overcome his concussions, he'd be a great signing.

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzone/around-the-horns/around-the-horns/2010/03/rams-close-to-deal-with-giants-dt-robbins/

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/06/brodney-pool-possibly-will-visit-with-the-rams/

rockio42
03-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Robbins - Would his signing be a sign that Bradford is the pick?

Pool - If he can overcome his concussions, he'd be a great signing.

Robbins is no where near as good as Suh...never has been, never will be but yah it could still be a sign that a QB might be a pick...which scares the crap out of me

freebirdsrams02
03-08-2010, 01:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4976480

Looks like Robbins is a done deal. So now that we are bringing him in and if the idea is to take a QB in the draft, why not trade down with Tampa at #3 and pick up some extra picks. Plus it will cost a little bit less to pick at 3 then at 1.

rockio42
03-08-2010, 02:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4976480

Looks like Robbins is a done deal. So now that we are bringing him in and if the idea is to take a QB in the draft, why not trade down with Tampa at #3 and pick up some extra picks. Plus it will cost a little bit less to pick at 3 then at 1.

I don't want it to influence the pick but with guys like Ryan, Carriker, Scott, and now Robbins it doesn't seem like Suh is as obvious now...Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen now becomes a lot more plausible

NGSeiler
03-08-2010, 02:33 PM
I don't think the Robbins signing has a huge impact on what they do first overall, just like the Feeley signing probably doesn't. Both signings gives the team options, which is what you want going into the pick.

With Feeley on the roster, the Rams are in a better position to cut Bulger and draft a rookie to fight Feeley for the job. Or, they could also keep Bulger w/ Feeley serving as the back-up, and look for their QB either later in this draft or in next year's class.

Adding Robbins means the Rams don't have to spend a high pick on a DT, because they've added depth to the position. But it doesn't mean they won't, because Suh or McCoy would likely supplant Robbins to start next to Ryan, but Robbins gives them better depth, especially since they let some younger tackles go in free agency.

The Rams certainly haven't made up their mind as to what they're doing with their pick, so these moves can't be a clear indication one way or another if the Rams don't even know which way they're going. These two moves give them some options regardless of what direction they go. And that's never a bad thing.

freebirdsrams02
03-08-2010, 02:51 PM
The one good thing about Robbins is that he comes from the Giants and he played under Spanguolo. So he know's what to expect and understands the defense. he should be able to help out the younger guys.

stlouisfan37
03-08-2010, 06:33 PM
And Fred Robbins has been a hard working, smart player who understands what Spagnuolo wants to do in this defense. Signing him could be as much for having a strong veteran influence on the young players as anything. Now I think we should bring in Antonio Pierce. He could be a great mentor as well as quality insurance behind Laurinitis.

holt_bruce81
03-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Maybe the Robbins signing means the end for Carriker. It's a possibility, he doesn't fit our system.

I wouldn't read to much into the signing. Robbins will be a good rotational player, will not effect the draft AT ALL.

holt_bruce81
03-08-2010, 09:52 PM
And Fred Robbins has been a hard working, smart player who understands what Spagnuolo wants to do in this defense. Signing him could be as much for having a strong veteran influence on the young players as anything. Now I think we should bring in Antonio Pierce. He could be a great mentor as well as quality insurance behind Laurinitis.

As a backup yes. As a starter.....hell no.

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Anybody hoping for a Lito Sheppard signing?

freebirdsrams02
03-09-2010, 12:01 PM

Any healthy CB or S would be nice.

KCJ58
03-09-2010, 01:34 PM
I dont care much for Lito Sheppard maybe 3-4 years ago but not now, I was kinda hoping Bradley Fletcher could start this year across Bartell see what he can do, but we do need another CB and if we do sign one i think he'll either be the starter or nickle, depending on how person is of course

NGSeiler
03-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Not really, no.

NGSeiler
03-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Scott's last three tweets today regarding the Rams and Bradford...

After going through my notes and doing Sam Bradford's scouting report I am more scared of him than ever. Lot's of warning signs. Tim Couch?
about 1 hours ago via web

Durability is the big one. System. RT @twoth: What kinds of warning signs? Seems accurate, can make all the throws, and was a winner.
about 1 hours ago via UberTwitter

Suh, McCoy or Clausen. RT @Play4Blood: So if you ran the Rams draft you'd take Suh 100 times out of 100, am I right?
44 minutes ago via UberTwitter

rockio42
03-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Scott's last three tweets today regarding the Rams and Bradford...

I keep wondering why all I see is people mentioning Bradford at #1...since when was Clausen not right along side Bradford in the top QB conversation?

tfry
03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Because Bradford is SUPPOSED to be a much more accurate QB and better suited for the WCO.

I keep wondering why all I see is people mentioning Bradford at #1...since when was Clausen not right along side Bradford in the top QB conversation?

bigfreak314
03-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Because Bradford is SUPPOSED to be a much more accurate QB and better suited for the WCO.

Is that really why? I thought Jimmy played in an NFL style offense

holt_bruce81
03-09-2010, 06:39 PM

Clausen has never been in REAL discussion as a #1 pick. He's vastly overrated.

rockio42
03-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Clausen has never been in REAL discussion as a #1 pick. He's vastly overrated.

Why? He has proven he can make NFL style throws, especially more so than Bradford, who's hardest throw was a seam or a 5 yard slant...how exactly is Clausen in overrated and Bradford not?

holt_bruce81
03-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Why? He has proven he can make NFL style throws, especially more so than Bradford, who's hardest throw was a seam or a 5 yard slant...how exactly is Clausen in overrated and Bradford not?

What has he done at Notre Dame? As talented as he is shouldn't he of been more successful in college? I know Bradford had more talent around him but a 6-6 season for Notre Dame with talented weapons to throw the ball to.

I don't like his immaturity.

In my eyes he's the Ryan Leaf of this draft. And Bradford is the Peyton Manning.

Good Russ Lande Interview....

http://www.101espn.com/post/40590_the_bernie_miklasz_show_note_tuesday_030910/audio

Thinks Bradford is a better prospect than Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez.

Bradford is the most accurate Quarterback he's graded.

Has Rams taking Bradford, Golden Tate and Jerry Hughes in the first 3 Rounds.

Interesting he says Jonathan Crompton is the 2nd best QB in this draft.

Says Jake Locker right now is no where near what Sam Bradford is

bigfreak314
03-10-2010, 09:54 AM

Do you think Jerry Hughes is going to last to the 3rd round?

Jonathan Crompton is a HUGE sleeper, he played in an NFL style offense under center most of the time. I think the reason more teams do not talk about him is b/c of the 1st 6 games of the season but he was playing with a shaky OL, shaky WR, and the only thing he had going for him were the 2 beast at RB.

tfry
03-10-2010, 11:17 AM
I'd be ok with that draft. However, don't you think we need a tall receiver with some size since we already have a speedy option in Donnie Avery?

And I'd be shocked if Hughes lasted until the third round...but then again someone always ends up sliding.

What has he done at Notre Dame? As talented as he is shouldn't he of been more successful in college? I know Bradford had more talent around him but a 6-6 season for Notre Dame with talented weapons to throw the ball to.

I don't like his immaturity.

In my eyes he's the Ryan Leaf of this draft. And Bradford is the Peyton Manning.

Good Russ Lande Interview....

http://www.101espn.com/post/40590_the_bernie_miklasz_show_note_tuesday_030910/audio

Thinks Bradford is a better prospect than Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez.

Bradford is the most accurate Quarterback he's graded.

freebirdsrams02
03-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Any thoughts on Derek Anderson. He would be better than having A.J. Feeley.

rockio42
03-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm not saying Bradford isn't good, I just don't think there is a huge difference between him and Clausen...right now the majority of experts and mockers have it kinda split 50-50 between who is going first in the draft overall or first to the Rams...I'm just saying Clausen is still a viable option at #1

holt_bruce81
03-11-2010, 02:22 AM
Would anyone give up a 5th round pick for Omar Gaither? Rams have two draft picks in the 5th round, so I say why not? He could be a solid Weakside backer for us. Better than what we got.

NGSeiler
03-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Would anyone give up a 5th round pick for Omar Gaither? Rams have two draft picks in the 5th round, so I say why not? He could be a solid Weakside backer for us. Better than what we got.

Maybe? I don't know, I'm kind of indifferent on the idea. I'm sure he'd be an upgrade, but I like the idea of having as many picks as possible.

holt_bruce81
03-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Maybe? I don't know, I'm kind of indifferent on the idea. I'm sure he'd be an upgrade, but I like the idea of having as many picks as possible.

But Gaither is 25? 26? years old and already has established himself as a player in this league. I'd take a young established linebacker for a 5th round pick rather than drafting a linebacker in the 5th round and hoping he can play.

KCJ58
03-11-2010, 01:18 PM
But Gaither is 25? 26? years old and already has established himself as a player in this league. I'd take a young established linebacker for a 5th round pick rather than drafting a linebacker in the 5th round and hoping he can play.

gotta agree with you there but will the Eagles part way with him with just a 5th rounder? He was a 5th round pick but I like to think he's a little more valuable to his team then that, but I could be wrong

holt_bruce81
03-11-2010, 02:05 PM
gotta agree with you there but will the Eagles part way with him with just a 5th rounder? He was a 5th round pick but I like to think he's a little more valuable to his team then that, but I could be wrong

They tendered him to a 5th round level. So I would assume so.

NGSeiler
03-11-2010, 03:22 PM

We're talking about a linebacker who, prior to getting injured and having Lisfranc surgery (which he's still recovering from, I believe), was splitting time with Jeremiah "Haven't Played Since 2007" Trotter.

I think the only thing Gaither has established is that he's not a vital part of Philadelphia's plans moving forward, as demonstrated by the fifth round tender.

Maybe he would be preferable to a 5th round rookie, but whose to say the Rams don't strike on an OLB earlier than that if the value is there? I'm just not sure settling for another team's unwanted back-up is a great way to improve.

toddmlazarchick
03-11-2010, 08:46 PM
With reports that the Redskins are interested in Carriker, what do you guy see as a fair trade off. I would have to think that Andre Carter would be involved.

NGSeiler
03-11-2010, 09:23 PM
With reports that the Redskins are interested in Carriker, what do you guy see as a fair trade off. I would have to think that Andre Carter would be involved.

What are your thoughts on just swapping player for player? They each have their share of positives and negatives.

bigfreak314
03-11-2010, 09:40 PM
What are your thoughts on just swapping player for player? They each have their share of positives and negatives.

I would prefer a draft pick personally. I believe Andre is getting up there in the years.and who is to say how much he has left in the tank.

toddmlazarchick
03-12-2010, 04:11 PM

Id say Carter for Carriker and a pick is fair. Carter did just come off an 11 sack season.

NGSeiler
03-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Id say Carter for Carriker and a pick is fair. Carter did just come off an 11 sack season.

Fair point. If I'm the Rams, I'd consider Carter for Carriker & a 5th. The Rams have an extra one, but it may be tough to part with something higher than that for a guy of his age.

holt_bruce81
03-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Fair point. If I'm the Rams, I'd consider Carter for Carriker & a 5th. The Rams have an extra one, but it may be tough to part with something higher than that for a guy of his age.

I'd be down for that. I would imagine the Redskins would like any draft pick they can get, they don't have to many in this draft.

freebirdsrams02
03-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Looks like we are close to signing Hank Fraley. He played Guard and Center for the Browns this past year.

rockio42
03-14-2010, 02:25 PM
Looks like we are close to signing Hank Fraley. He played Guard and Center for the Browns this past year.

would be a good signing. Give Greco a chance to play RT is we trade Barron, which I think would be really good for the long term

holt_bruce81
03-14-2010, 06:36 PM
would be a good signing. Give Greco a chance to play RT is we trade Barron, which I think would be really good for the long term

Fraley is nothing more than a backup.

rockio42
03-15-2010, 11:19 AM
Fraley is nothing more than a backup.

right now with our situation at RG he has a chance to get some time and it gives us some nice versatility. If we trade Barron then we would be looking at maybe Haley at RG and Greco at RT but there is also options with Setterstrom at G and Goldberg at T, right now its coming painfully obvious we need more guys on the right side of the o-line

tfry
03-16-2010, 01:27 PM
right now with our situation at RG he has a chance to get some time and it gives us some nice versatility. If we trade Barron then we would be looking at maybe Haley at RG and Greco at RT but there is also options with Setterstrom at G and Goldberg at T, right now its coming painfully obvious we need more guys on the right side of the o-line

What are the odds we address our RT position in the 2nd round? if we get Fragile Bradford at #1, we damn well better protect him or else we'll be looking at the next JaMarcus Russell, Alex Smith, etc.

rockio42
03-16-2010, 02:16 PM
What are the odds we address our RT position in the 2nd round? if we get Fragile Bradford at #1, we damn well better protect him or else we'll be looking at the next JaMarcus Russell, Alex Smith, etc.

Ducasse would be nice, espcially if we traded down to take Bradford or Clausen and were able to get another 2nd rounder...so 1st/2nd round scenario would be 1. Bradford 2a. DL/WR 2b. LB/OL and Ducasse could easily be there for either second round pick and would give us another option at RT

holt_bruce81
03-16-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm not a big fan of Ducasse I'd rather take either Charles Brown or Rodger Saffold if they chose to go the OT route.

rockio42
03-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Shawn Andrews was released by the Eagles...anyone else think that would be a great pickup??

freebirdsrams02
03-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Shawn Andrews was released by the Eagles...anyone else think that would be a great pickup??

I do. Grab him and get rid of Barron.

holt_bruce81
03-17-2010, 07:32 PM
I do. Grab him and get rid of Barron.

So you want to get rid of a guy who has questionable desire to play the game, and replace him with a guy........who has questionable desire to play the game.

NGSeiler
03-18-2010, 08:44 AM

Not particularly. The last thing this guy needs is another guy whose heart might not be in the game and who has struggled with injury issues.

holt_bruce81
03-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Who are some of the mid-late round players you guys like?

Some I wouldn't mind seeing in horns.....

AJ Edds OLB, Ben Tate RB, Jonathan Dwyer RB, Rennie Curran OLB, AJ Jefferson CB, Brandon Spikes MLB/OLB, Clay Harbor TE, George Selvie DE, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah CB

NGSeiler
03-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Who are some of the mid-late round players you guys like?

Some I wouldn't mind seeing in horns.....

AJ Edds OLB, Ben Tate RB, Jonathan Dwyer RB, Rennie Curran OLB, AJ Jefferson CB, Brandon Spikes MLB/OLB, Clay Harbor TE, George Selvie DE, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah CB

I wouldn't be surprised if half of that list heard their names called in the second or third round, honestly.

I'll try and go positionally with some mid to late round guys I'm intrigued by...

QB: Jarrett Brown (mid), Levi Brown (late)
RB: Anthony Dixon (mid), Andre Dixon (late)
WR: Dezmon Briscoe (mid), Alric Arnett (late)
TE: Colin Peek (mid), Jeff Cottam (late)
OL: Marshall Newhouse (mid), Derek Hardman (late)
DL: Brandon Lang (mid), Clifton Geathers (late)
LB: A.J. Edds (mid), Travis Goethel (late)
DB: Brian Jackson (mid), Robert Johnson (late)

freebirdsrams02
03-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Anyone like Demaryius Thomas!! The WR out of Georgia Tech. He is big, physical and fast. Smething our WR's are not. I think he would be better than Tate or Benn if we were to go with a WR in the 2nd round. Some say he might slip to the 3rd due to injury, but others say he could go as high as late first round. Would be a nice target if Bradford is the pick at number 1.

holt_bruce81
03-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Anyone like Demaryius Thomas!! The WR out of Georgia Tech. He is big, physical and fast. Smething our WR's are not. I think he would be better than Tate or Benn if we were to go with a WR in the 2nd round. Some say he might slip to the 3rd due to injury, but others say he could go as high as late first round. Would be a nice target if Bradford is the pick at number 1.

I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd, but don't think he makes it there.

holt_bruce81
03-22-2010, 05:27 PM
http://oregon.scout.com/a.z?s=128&p=9&c=2&cid=955418&nid=4263967&fhn=1

The University of Oregon held two Pro Days this month, and the second of the two featured the Ducks two top prospects, running back LeGarrette Blount and safety T.J. Ward. Blount has been one of the most impressive players this offseason, while Ward has been trying to get his name back into the spotlight, after missing five games this past season with an ankle injury. Ward took a positive step on Thursday (March 18th) when he improved on his 4.56 40-time from the Scouting Combine and turned in an impressive 4.47 in front of scouts at Oregon’s Pro Day.

Ward is one of the most talented safeties available in the 2010 draft, and he’s starting to receive the recognition he deserves. Scout.com has learned that Ward had a private workout with the St. Louis Rams on March 16th and will visit the Kansas City Chiefs on April 1st.

I think Ward will be off the board sooner than where I would like the Rams to take a safety, but I wouldn't mind a hard hitter like him on this team.

freebirdsrams02
03-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Just saw on NFL network we re-signed DE James Hall.

Also watched the piece on Myron Rolle. He might not be a bad guy to go after in the later rounds.

NGSeiler
03-24-2010, 04:12 PM
According to the Philadelphia Daily News, the Eagles have a trade offer on the table that would send Donovan McNabb to the St. Louis Rams for the 33rd pick in the 2010 NFL Draft.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/McNabb_to_the_Rams_on_the_table.html

holt_bruce81
03-24-2010, 07:27 PM
The new rumor was #33 and OJ Atogwe for Mcnabb. Philly was reporting it but Bill Devaney shot down the rumor.

stlouisfan37
03-25-2010, 11:06 AM
The new rumor was #33 and OJ Atogwe for Mcnabb. Philly was reporting it but Bill Devaney shot down the rumor.

My first thought on this was that I didn't like the idea. We really need to get a lot out of this draft, Atogwe is a very good young player, and McNabb is 33. However, the more I think about it, the more I'm warming up to the idea.

1) McNabb knows how to win, and we don't have nearly enough guys on this team who remember what winning feels like.

2) McNabb is a cagey veteran and would make every one of our offensive weapons better.

3) For most of his career McNabb has had to find ways to be productive with an offense that lacks the ideal "go-to" receiver. While he did have T.O. for a short time, and Desean Jackson has emerged as a great young wideout, McNabb has put up very good numbers without the assistance of a guy like Larry Fitzgerald.

4) McNabb utilizes running backs in the passing game a lot, which would likely result in Steven Jackson being a huge weapon out of the backfield once again.

5) McNabb is vocal about what the team needs, and tends to get his way. If he wants a tight end or a big receiver, he will let it be known, and the position will likely be addressed.

6) This move would allow the Rams to take the DT of their choice, which I believe is what Spagnuolo would like to do, without facing media scrutiny for ignoring the lack of a franchise QB. It would probably result in a 5- or 6-win season, which would almost certainly insure that Spags would retain his job. It would revive hope for the future, something this team is hugely lacking in. It would also build excitement among the fan base which is desperately needed.

7) It would allow the Rams to take a QB in the later rounds or down the road and develop him at their own pace.

holt_bruce81
03-25-2010, 05:58 PM
Atogwe is not a very good young player. He's overrated, who at best is just above average. I wouldn't even put him in my top 15 Free Safeties in the NFL.

stlouisfan37
03-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Atogwe did not have a great season last year. But he has been very productive with 19 interceptions and 14 forced fumbles in 5 years.

BeerBaron
03-26-2010, 12:03 AM
I usually do this whenever I get a team that's not mine in the forum mock so,

You guys have any good tips or advice on what to do? Major needs? Players you guys especially like?

NGSeiler
03-26-2010, 07:06 AM
Let's see, here's a positional breakdown as I see it...

QB: This one's obvious; the Rams have no QB of the future on their roster, and need to address the position somehow.

#2 RB: There's nothing behind Steven Jackson in the backfield, so if the Rams want to create a Giants-like rushing attack, they'll need an explosive change of pace 'back.

WR: There are some who feel our receiving corps is okay, but a guy capable of being a true #1 receiver would definitely benefit the unit.

TE: The Rams have no starting caliber tight end on their roster. Randy McMichael has walked, and Daniel Fells is a better back-up.

OL: Jason Smith will take over @ LT, with restricted free agent Alex Barron (very expendable if you find a trade partner) likely going back to RT. Jason Brown is an excellent center, and Jacob Bell improved on a poor 2008 to have a solid 2009. The Rams have a couple of guys who could fill in at right guard, between John Greco, Mark Setterstrom, Adam Goldberg, and Hank Fraley. Upgrades at RT or RG are possible.

DL: The Rams essentially have nothing long term at DE opposite of Chris Long, and nothing at DT next to Clifton Ryan. Fred Robbins should (and I believe will) be a depth player on this team. James Hall will likely start opposite of Chris, but he's a short term option at best. The Rams could use a pass rushing RDE and a starting UT.

LB: Middle linebacker James Laurinaitis is the only thing locked down in this unit. There currently is no WILL linebacker. David Vobora has done a serviceable job at the SAM position, and while an upgrade certainly wouldn't hurt, it may not be a priority.

CB: Ron Bartell is a solid corner when healthy. The Rams drafted Bradley Fletcher in the third round last year, and he'll get a chance to start as well. But behind them, there's not much to be excited about, and who knows if Fletcher comes along. I don't know if I'd make CB a big priority, but if the value is right, it probably wouldn't hurt.

S: OJ Atogwe has not signed his one year RFA tender, but the Rams are waiting until he passes a physical before trying to ink him to a long term deal. Assuming he stays with the team, he's their best DB. James Butler is a serviceable SS but not so great that a young guy couldn't be picked if he were great value.

BeerBaron
03-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks NG, very informative.

I'm going to PM you a possible trade situation I'm looking at, as I don't want an other GMs to read it and raise prices, so to speak, on me, lol.

holt_bruce81
03-27-2010, 03:38 AM
I agree with everything but one thing........OJ Atogwe is not the Rams best DB, Ron Bartell is!

freebirdsrams02
03-28-2010, 06:04 PM
We should have a Rams Draft Challange. Just post your Rams Mock and lets see who comes closest to the real thing. Just make sure you post it before the draft.

holt_bruce81
03-28-2010, 11:26 PM
We should have a Rams Draft Challange. Just post your Rams Mock and lets see who comes closest to the real thing. Just make sure you post it before the draft.

That could be fun. Anyone who has the Rams taking Clausen is disqualified though!

KCJ58
03-28-2010, 11:41 PM
That could be fun. Anyone who has the Rams taking Clausen is disqualified though!

so hawkeye fan is out but i would be up for this sounds like fun

stlouisfan37
03-29-2010, 01:24 AM
I'm down! Sounds like fun!

freebirdsrams02
03-29-2010, 08:48 AM

I agree with this to.

Just post it here before the draft starts.

freebirdsrams02
03-31-2010, 01:33 PM
It seems the Rams are going to workout Colt McCoy just in case.

tfry
03-31-2010, 03:21 PM
It seems teh Rams are going to workout Colt McCoy just in case.

Do you have a link? It was reported on Rotoworld that the Rams and Lions were the only two teams NOT at McCoy's pro-day.

freebirdsrams02
03-31-2010, 04:01 PM
Sorry should have posted it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=5043722

holt_bruce81
03-31-2010, 10:54 PM
you know what I hate, people who make dumb trade offers. I read one on another forum, the guy was talking about trading down with the Redskins

Redskins get:
1st overall selection in the draft

Rams get:
2010 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick and 2011 1st round pick

No, it won't happen. Teams aren't run by mentally ******** people.

bigfreak314
04-01-2010, 08:08 AM
you know what I hate, people who make dumb trade offers. I read one on another forum, the guy was talking about trading down with the Redskins

Redskins get:
1st overall selection in the draft

Rams get:
2010 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, 3rd round pick and 2011 1st round pick

No, it won't happen. Teams aren't run by mentally ******** people.

Were the Redskins supposed to be trading up for Bradford or to ensure they draft Clausen?

I agree about the trade not happening you rarely see a team trading away thier whole draft for just one player ala Mike Ditka in '99

freebirdsrams02
04-04-2010, 12:20 PM
The Redskins are bringing in Bradford on Tuesday according to NFL Network. So if they love him enough on Tuesday the Trade talks could start. The Redskins already lost their 3rd round pick to last years supplamental draft, so they already are losing draft picks. So if they are trading it will have to be with players and picks.

freebirdsrams02
04-04-2010, 09:42 PM
McNabb to the Redskins. So no Bradford to the Redskins.

tfry
04-05-2010, 01:36 PM
What about McNabb and the Redskins 4th overall for the #1 pick!?!?! I'd have a tough time passing on that one!

McNabb to the Redskins. So no Bradford to the Redskins.