PDA

View Full Version : Cedric Benson

Splat
10-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Leads the league in rushing yards.

Thoughts?

A Perfect Score
10-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Im just really glad I picked him up late in the NFLDC Ultimate League.

hockey619
10-12-2009, 11:05 AM
ive been wrong about him at every turn so i just give up

i thought hed come in and be a beast for chicago. that took a bad course so i thought maybe he just doesnt run tough enough and i shoulda saw hed fail.

he gets cut, i think hes done, now hes beasting

cedric benson is an enigma to me

Smooth Criminal
10-12-2009, 11:06 AM
I don't think it'll last, but its nice to see him reaching his potential. Hes been a huge part of the Bengals offense this far.

Raiderz4Life
10-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Must have had an epiphany bout his life going down the crapper if he didn't start producing

LizardState
10-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Picked him as the Comeback Player of the Yr. 2 wks. ago & I'll stick with it.

The NFL gods in Valhalla will give it to Brady though, he's married to a supermodel after all :rolleyes:

vikes_28
10-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Leave it to the bears to pick a player that does better on another team.

Gay Ork Wang
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Leave it to the bears to pick a player that does better on another team.
just like berrian this year

brat316
10-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Adrian Peterson, when will u take the crown from this clown?

vikes_28
10-12-2009, 11:43 AM
just like berrian this year

You are correct sir!

BeerBaron
10-12-2009, 11:48 AM
Just...nevermind....

Nothing nice to say, say nothing....you all know that saying. Just forget me here.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-12-2009, 12:22 PM
He's always been a pretty tough runner but now I think he has rejuvenated the desire to work hard for those extra yards and explode over tacklers. Reminds me of how Thomas Jones was able to start his second career when he joined the Bears. It's funny because he was labeled the bust of the big 3 but right now it looks like he could have a longer and more productive career from here on out than Ronnie Brown and definitely Caddy.

SFbear
10-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I think people seem to forget that he was cut for disciplinary reasons. It was going to be him and Forte as a one two punch but he just couldn't stay out of the headlines and we cut him before last season started. The Bears believed in his talent til the very end but when Forte hit the ground running his rookie year I think all the fans just assumed that Benson had been the problem all along. Maybe he had been and he just needed a wake up call.

E-Man
10-12-2009, 12:35 PM
I think it's pretty ironic that he plays better for a team besides Chicago, when Thomas Jones played better for Chicago after being labeled a bust in Arizona. I'm happy for him since I went to one of his high school games way back when, so I've always had a little homer in me for him. This is a real good find for the Bengals though. If he keeps playing like this all season, they'll get a Pro Bowler for ultra cheap.

awfullyquiet
10-12-2009, 12:48 PM
Just...nevermind....

Nothing nice to say, say nothing....you all know that saying. Just forget me here.

I think I feel you BB.

Really. Thomas Jones, ex Bear. Lead the AFC in rushing last year. Ced Benson, ex Bear. Leads the AFC in rushing this year.

Coincidence? Or maybe the Bears o-line just sucks balls.

Either way: Benson looks fantastic, everything I hoped he'd be when I heard that the Bears signed him (although he wasn't my first choice).

MetSox17
10-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Texas represent!

Benson has always been a a stud. I honestly thought Mack had just run the hell out of him at Texas, but obviously that's not the case.

I think it was his dreadlocks. He cut him before the draft and he stunk it up in Chi town. He's growing up back again and he's beasting! Sincerely, i'm not surprised, he's just that good.

ThePudge
10-12-2009, 01:07 PM
The funny thing about it is he's playing as well or better than his numbers are showing. Cedric Benson is the real deal. 100+ yards and a 28 yard Td against the Ravens, 76 yards and a 23 yard Td vs. Pittsburgh, 108 total yards and a rushing Td against undefeated Denver. The guy has earned it running behind a much maligned offensive line too. It's ironic he's playing at such a high level, as not many thought he had it in him these days. Trust me, the guy is for real and if he stays healthy 1,000-1,100 yards will be an easy feat and there's an off chance he hits the Offensive Line's goal for him, 1,500 yards. A flat out tremendously talented player who has it all: size, speed, vision, a violent running style, heart, and the uncanny ability to fall forward. I'm glad Benson's performance has people eating crow, but I have much more respect for the people that didn't lose faith in Cedric. He's been a model citizen in the locker room and has been a pro bowl caliber back early.

MetSox17
10-12-2009, 01:10 PM
He just needs to stay the hell out of Lake Travis.

SFbear
10-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I think I feel you BB.

Really. Thomas Jones, ex Bear. Lead the AFC in rushing last year. Ced Benson, ex Bear. Leads the AFC in rushing this year.

Also Kyle Orton lighting it up in Denver. Plus I think we all know that if (when?) Matt Schaub goes down in Houston that Rex Grossman will go to town on this league with Andre Johnson to throw to deep.

Iamcanadian
10-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Having a great year and seems to have really matured. Of course he is a FA after this season which has modivated more than one players to play above his head. It will pay off big for him financially, then we will find out if he can maintain his performance level.

CC.SD
10-12-2009, 01:42 PM
Nothing like a contract year to instigate some beasting. Gotta love his running style though.

Job
10-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Also Kyle Orton lighting it up in Denver. Plus I think we all know that if (when?) Matt Schaub goes down in Houston that Rex Grossman will go to town on this league with Andre Johnson to throw to deep.

jizzed in my pants.

ThePudge
10-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Having a great year and seems to have really matured. Of course he is a FA after this season which has modivated more than one players to play above his head. It will pay off big for him financially, then we will find out if he can maintain his performance level.

No he's not. In the offseason he signed a two year deal worth 7 million.

Brent
10-12-2009, 02:26 PM
He just needs to stay the hell out of Lake Travis.
I pictured him doing the Randy Marsh reaction while getting arrested.

"I thought this was America!?"

BeerBaron
10-12-2009, 03:29 PM
I think I feel you BB.

Coincidence? Or maybe the Bears o-line just sucks balls.

Either way: Benson looks fantastic, everything I hoped he'd be when I heard that the Bears signed him (although he wasn't my first choice).

I had this kind of nasty speech there at the people who think the Bears are dumb for cutting him...

But while he was there, he had the trifecta of issues: Sucked on the field, Injured a bit too much, and lots of problems off the field.

Any team would have cut him. Had the Bears not cut him when they did, everyone would have been critical of them as a franchise for harboring such a bad seed.

Props to Benson for turning it around, but any one of us would have cut him if we were in the Bears shoes.

MetSox17
10-12-2009, 03:32 PM
Has there really been anyone here critical of the Bears FO for getting rid of him?

Forenci
10-12-2009, 03:45 PM
I had this kind of nasty speech there at the people who think the Bears are dumb for cutting him...

But while he was there, he had the trifecta of issues: Sucked on the field, Injured a bit too much, and lots of problems off the field.

Any team would have cut him. Had the Bears not cut him when they did, everyone would have been critical of them as a franchise for harboring such a bad seed.

Props to Benson for turning it around, but any one of us would have cut him if we were in the Bears shoes.

Nah, you can't blame the Bears for cutting him. He was down right awful with the Bears. Maybe getting cut opened his eyes and he realized he had better start focusing on improving himself as a player if he wanted to make it in this league.

Sadly thats just how it goes sometimes in the NFL. Either way, Forte is pretty awesome so I wouldn't look back too much in regret or distain for people who says it's a bad move.

It's like the Giants trading Ryan Grant for a 6th round pick. Sure he's been pretty good with the Packers but at the time we had three excellent running backs and still have two very excellent backs right now.

A Perfect Score
10-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Nah, you can't blame the Bears for cutting him. He was down right awful with the Bears. Maybe getting cut opened his eyes and he realized he had better start focusing on improving himself as a player if he wanted to make it in this league.

Sadly thats just how it goes sometimes in the NFL. Either way, Forte is pretty awesome so I wouldn't look back too much in regret or distain for people who says it's a bad move.

It's like the Giants trading Ryan Grant for a 6th round pick. Sure he's been pretty good with the Packers but at the time we had three excellent running backs and still have two very excellent backs right now.

I dunno if I would of called Benson downright awful. While he certainly didnt perform like the Top 5 pick he was drafted as, he did have over 4 YPC his first two years, and never had over 200 carries as a Bear. So while he did have his off field issues and his injuries, I dont think its fair to call him absolutely atrocious. He was never really given a shot to be the true #1 they drafted him to be because Thomas Jones broke out the year he was drafted.

Im not critiquing the Bears for cutting him. I would of cut his ass too. It seemed every month there was a new headline starring Benson in some sort of off the field incident. I wouldnt of put up with that immature **** either. Its good to see him turn it around, I was a big fan of his running style at Texas. But the Bears were absolutely right in letting him go.

Splat
10-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Has there really been anyone here critical of the Bears FO for getting rid of him?

No. And that was not the point of the thread really.

CC.SD
10-12-2009, 04:26 PM
I do think the Bears could have handled a lot of things differently and coaxed some real production out of him, but by the time he got cut it was the right move.

Forenci
10-12-2009, 04:27 PM
I dunno if I would of called Benson downright awful. While he certainly didnt perform like the Top 5 pick he was drafted as, he did have over 4 YPC his first two years, and never had over 200 carries as a Bear. So while he did have his off field issues and his injuries, I dont think its fair to call him absolutely atrocious. He was never really given a shot to be the true #1 they drafted him to be because Thomas Jones broke out the year he was drafted.

Im not critiquing the Bears for cutting him. I would of cut his ass too. It seemed every month there was a new headline starring Benson in some sort of off the field incident. I wouldnt of put up with that immature **** either. Its good to see him turn it around, I was a big fan of his running style at Texas. But the Bears were absolutely right in letting him go.

I'd beg to differ about him being awful. Maybe not the worst in the league, but their were some games where he was absolutely brutal for the Bears.

SFbear
10-12-2009, 04:28 PM
He was never really given a shot to be the true #1 they drafted him to be because Thomas Jones broke out the year he was drafted.

I have to disagree with this. His first year he hurt himself with his holdout and was slow learn his blocking assignments in the passing game. He got a chance to start later in the year when Jones got banged up a bit but he got hurt that same game and was out most of the rest of the year.

His second year the organization handed him the starting job (much to the chagrin of the rest of team that saw Thomas Jones as the leader of the offense) without even letting him and Jones compete. He hurt his arm in early in training camp and then Jones took back his job and ran the Bears to the Superbowl.

After the Superbowl year the Bears traded away Thomas Jones who had steadily outperformed him and handed the starting job to Benson on a silver platter again. When they drafted a backup RB, they overlooked many all purpose backs and went with Garrett Wolfe, who was purely a complementary back that would never ever challenge Benson for the starting job. They went out their way to ensure there wasn't any doubt that Benson was their guy.

In his time in Chicago he was either injured or out played, and in the end it was the disciplinary issues that did him in so I don't think anyone can say he wasn't given a chance to show what he could do.

Also one thing that stings with the Benson era is when the Bears had the chance to trade up to the sixth overall pick from the Redskins, they passed on the opportunity to draft Adrian Peterson one spot ahead of the Vikings because they had so much confidence that Benson was their guy. One year later Benson is no longer on the team. Ugh.

Gay Ork Wang
10-12-2009, 06:01 PM
yea but if we had traded for the 6th overall we wouldve lost briggs who was at that point a big part in our defense, even if he was disgruntled. Right now, he is prolly the best player on our defense and prolly the best 4-3 OLB. With AD having some issues, the FO decided to rather give Benson another chance. And Olsen is not that bad either

princefielder28
10-12-2009, 09:12 PM
I thought Cedric would have a good year but not this good. It's been a pleasant surprise for the fantasy team...haha

In my Truths thread before the year I projected 1200 yards and 10 scores but yards-wise he looks like he pass that

Shiver
10-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Never, ever, underestimate the power of the contract year. He isn't the only one, Ronnie Brown is playing much better this year than last year certainly because he is due to be a FA.

themaninblack
10-12-2009, 11:23 PM
Never, ever, underestimate the power of the contract year. He isn't the only one, Ronnie Brown is playing much better this year than last year certainly because he is due to be a FA.

his contract year is next season I believe.

MetSox17
10-13-2009, 02:10 AM

The Bears made him filthy rich. More money is always good, but i sincerely don't think it's that. He played this way towards the end of last year as well.