PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts

bigbluedefense
10-12-2009, 11:50 AM
I haven't done one of these yet. Mine are usually sporadic, and quite long so bare with me.

-James Harrison, Lamar Woodley, and Elvis Dumerville have proven that its better to be short as a 3-4 OLB. Prototypically, everyone wants a 6 4" guy who has strength and speed. But I don't think thats really the case anymore. These 6 foot guys are squat and strong, and because they are stand up rushers, their short height actually plays in their favor bc they get great leverage as a stand up rusher.

These guys can not only speed rush, but bullrush with the best of them because they can get under the OT's pads even while standing up. And that is huge for a 3-4 OLB. They were traditionally known strictly as speed rushers, but what these shorter guys have shown us is, with leverage, they can bullrush too, and they are the new matchup problems for pass protections in the league. Also, because theyre shorter, they have better knee bend in coverage, so it helps them both ways.

The short guys are where its at.

I always wondered how dominant Dwight Freeney could have been as a 3-4 OLB. He couldve been the best 3-4 OLB since LT. He had all the tools, the leverage, the speed, the spin move, the hips. Everything.

-Its time for me to eat crow on McDaniels. I never thought they'd be this good. I was rooting for the guy, still am, but I just couldnt believe some of the moves he was making in the offseason. Hell, I still disagree with a lot of his moves, but he's making them work. 5-0 is 5-0.

I still think though, if he just let Cutler go on his rant and not trade him, with the way the defense is playing, they couldve been a SB contender this year. But they're not. I just can't see it with Kyle Orton.

Speaking of Kyle, let's give the man credit. All he does is win. Im not saying he's Joe Montana by any means, but the guy can win you games. I don't care how ugly it is, winning is winning. He's proven it throughout his career. He'd make a great qb for a team who wants a caretaker qb while it develops its roster.

-The Colts look like the best team in the AFC by far thus far. Their offense has looked as good as its ever been, Peyton looks healthy, their defense looks better than years past (big surprise, i told you Cover 2 sucks), and they'll shore up that run D when Sanders comes back.

2 issues though:

1. They need to shore up that LT spot. Ugoh sucks.
2. When is it time to move on from Bob Sanders? Yes, he brings so much when healthy, but the guy isn't healthy anymore. He's the new Mike Brown. Draft another safety, and move on. Sanders can't be relied on anymore.

-Ron Rivera is the most overrated DC in the league. The guy runs soft zones, a passive D, and for some reason he gets a pass for it. Why? He's not a good DC.

Someone needs to sit him down and remind him that Cover 2 sucks.

-Tom Brady isn't the same Tom Brady, and the team as a whole looks old on offense. This team will make the playoffs, but I don't think they'll do much when they get there.

Surprisingly, everyone worried about the defense, but the defense is doing a great job this year. Its the offense thats holding them back. Imagine how good that defense could be with an actual pass rusher. That defense will be back with more development.

But they need to invest in some oline. This team is old, and they need to rebuild.

-The Bengals are forreal. And more importantly, Cedric Benson is a legit MVP candidate this year.

Yes. Cedric Benson.

Cedric Benson.

Who wouldve thought that? I was a big believer in the guy and thought he'd rejuvenate his career with the Bengals. I saw him run harder and faster than he ever did with the Bears, but I didn't expect him to be THIS good. He's a beast. I had him as my fantasy sleeper, and he's treating me pretty good right now ;)

Oh, and someone rep Rosebud for me. I said since last year that the Bengals were an up and coming team, but I didn't realize it until after they played the Giants last year. I remember prior to that game Rosebud kept telling me, don't sleep on the Bengals defense, and I was like yeah whatever. After teh game though, I became a believer. I knew that team was legit and would bounce back after seeing them play.

And they are. Theyre a good team despite Carson Palmer looking very mediocre this year. Theyre winning with defense and the run game.

Speaking of which, lets give Jonathan Joseph some love. We know about Corey Webster's dramatic turnaround (top 3 CB in the league imo behind Nmandi and Revis), but Joseph has made an impressive turnaround himself. He's been a damn good CB for 2 years now.

- This might be the best rookie WR core we've seen in quite some time. The rookie WRs in this draft class are doing an amazing job, and all of them look like they have bright futures.

Britt, Maclin, Nicks, Percy, all are starting out great. We have up and comers in Murphy, possibly Barden, MoMas, Robiskie and Tate, and Im sure Im forgetting some others. The book is out on Crabtree.

Let's not forget the first WR taken overall, our boy DHB....

..... ......sorry Raiders fans.

-Moving right along, we're seeing some incredible LT play lately. With pass rushers becoming more and more impactful in today's game, the league has reacted by producing some quality LTs to counter them. We're seeing more high caliber LTs in the league than in years past. And more quality LTs come out to the draft year after year than ever before.

It used to be a good 2, maybe 3 quality LTs coming out every year max. Now, the past couple of drafts we're seeing a good 4,5 guys every year coming out and doing their thing.

I think the belief that you have to take a dominant LT early is not necessarily true anymore. Guys like Oher, Beatty (so far, although he's being redshirted and the book is still out), Baker, Staley, all these guys are proving you can find quality OT talent in the latter part of round 1 as well.

The guys in the top 10 aren't the only ones who can hold it down.

-The Ravens defense is not what it used to be. They get a lot of credit but a lot of that credit is unwarranted, as they're living off reputation moreso than production. They still have a great run D, but this team can be thrown on. They need to shore up that secondary, they don't have any CBs. This team as a whole I personally feel is a bit overrated, but they do have in my eyes the best oline in the league, a hell of a run game, and a franchise qb.

They still lack weapons on offense, and CBs on defense. I think that will hold them back from winning a championship this year.

-The Bills/Browns game might have been the ugliest NFL game we've seen in quite some time. That was embarassing.

-The NFC West is going to have 1 playoff team. It will be the 4 seed. Whoever it is, will promptly be stomped out by whichever Wild Card team plays them.

-Brian Dawkins still has plenty left in the tank, and is a big reason why the Broncos D is so good this year. Champ is also playing great, its amazing what a pass rush can do for you.

-As awful as Dallas has been, they still are 3-2 and can win the NFC East. Anything can happen.

-Darren Sharper might be one of the least appreciated ball hawk FS's we've seen in the past 10 years. The guy just keeps doing it, but we always overlook him. He should not have been part of 3 teams. Im surprised that this guy has found a hard time sticking with a team. He's not a HOFer, but he's not so bad that he should warrant such little attention in FA.

-One of the lesser talked about guys that should some love...Tamba Hali. The guy has made a pretty smooth transition to 3-4 OLB, and he looks pretty good doing it. With him, Brandon Flowers and Tyson Jackson, they have some nice pieces in place in KC. Give it some time, I think Pioli will turn this around.

-Aaron Kampman looks useless in a 3-4. The guy is a pure 4-3 LE, one of the best in the league. But he's absolutely useless in a 3-4.

Alright, I probably wrote too much already, so I'll stop right here.

Sniper
10-12-2009, 11:55 AM
I love your write-ups.

Raiderz4Life
10-12-2009, 12:00 PM
Great post....

I do have to say though the I think with some more time and more experience Brady will start looking better...hopefully. NE truly is old they have a lot of work ahead of them. They need a new line.....as for the Raiders....i think Murphy's been our only real bright spot and I cant speak too much because I haven't seen a Raider game since week 1

EDIT: I 100% agree with you on Kampman...guys beastly when he has his hand down but looks lethargic and lost as an OLB

iBoldin
10-12-2009, 12:01 PM
I love your write-ups.

I agree.

You're very informative, and you're probably my favorite poster to read when it comes to these kind of things. No **** of course.

Hines
10-12-2009, 12:02 PM
No love for Mike Wallace? Man, the kid is 4th in catches and second in yards for rookies as maybe the 4th option in that offense. He is really being underrated as far as the rookie WRs go.

bigbluedefense
10-12-2009, 12:08 PM
No love for Mike Wallace? Man, the kid is 4th in catches and second in yards for rookies as maybe the 4th option in that offense. He is really being underrated as far as the rookie WRs go.

I knew I forgot somebody. He's looked great as well. With the way Ben throws the deep ball, having 2 deep threats in Holmes and Wallace will do wonders for this offense.

Ben loves slinging it deep, he's one of the best in the league at it, and he has 2 toys outside that can stretch a D for him.

I love your write-ups.

I love your avy. Link me to that vid asap.

Great post....

I do have to say though the I think with some more time and more experience Brady will start looking better...hopefully. NE truly is old they have a lot of work ahead of them. They need a new line.....as for the Raiders....i think Murphy's been our only real bright spot and I cant speak too much because I haven't seen a Raider game since week 1

EDIT: I 100% agree with you on Kampman...guys beastly when he has his hand down but looks lethargic and lost as an OLB

Your WRs are getting seperation, its just that the offense can't be built on 7 and 5 step drops with that oline, and that qb. Yeah he has the arm, but he has the brain of a hamster.

With that speed on offense, this team could be explosive with a better oline and a legit qb. And a better offensive scheme. Its not a sin to stretch the field horizontally.

I agree.

You're very informative, and you're probably my favorite poster to read when it comes to these kind of things. No **** of course.

My writeups have a lot of grammar errors, theyre sporadic, and somewhat of an eye sore honestly.

I just write what comes to mind. I think the other guys do a damn good job with their writeups, I enjoy reading theirs. Every now and then I'll do one to discuss some things that have otherwise gone overlooked.

Thanks for the love. no h0mo*

Hines
10-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I knew I forgot somebody. He's looked great as well. With the way Ben throws the deep ball, having 2 deep threats in Holmes and Wallace will do wonders for this offense.

Ben loves slinging it deep, he's one of the best in the league at it, and he has 2 toys outside that can stretch a D for him.

I love your avy. Link me to that vid asap.

Your WRs are getting seperation, its just that the offense can't be built on 7 and 5 step drops with that oline, and that qb. Yeah he has the arm, but he has the brain of a hamster.

With that speed on offense, this team could be explosive with a better oline and a legit qb. And a better offensive scheme. Its not a sin to stretch the field horizontally.

My writeups have a lot of grammar errors, theyre sporadic, and somewhat of an eye sore honestly.

I just write what comes to mind. I think the other guys do a damn good job with their writeups, I enjoy reading theirs. Every now and then I'll do one to discuss some things that have otherwise gone overlooked.

Thanks for the love. no h0mo*

Limas Sweed can be that deep threat too if he ever decides to catch the ball. I just don't think the Steelers are giving him chances. Yeah he has messed up his few chances, but when he only get thrown to once a game, it really hurts the confidence of a player. I think if we get up big against Cleveland, put in Sweed to regain his confidence. I am still a big believer that Sweed can be a really, really good reciever for us if he just get over his mental lapses and concentrate. He has the size, speed, and seperation ability to be great in this league. It is all up to him now.

dabears10
10-12-2009, 12:14 PM
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/writers/don_banks/09/24/impact/johnny-knox.jpg

Don't mind me just returning kicks for touchdowns and catching passes.

bigbluedefense
10-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Johnny Knox! Thats another one.

Lots of promise with this WR class.

Last year it was RBs. This year its WRs.

AntoinCD
10-12-2009, 12:16 PM
A lot of really good points but i'll only comment on the one that I have most to say about-the Patriots.

A lot was made especially by TV 'experts' during the offseason that the defense would take a significant step backwards because they lost stalwarts such as Bruschi, Harrison, Vrabel, Hobbs, Seymour etc. What they failed to mention was that with the exception of Seymour, none of the rest where playing at a particularly high level and really only the lockerroom presence was going to be missed.

What has been seen so far on the defensive side is players like Ty Warren, Mike Wright, Brandon Merriweather step up and make huge plays while players like Leigh Bodden coming in from free agency and playing at a high level.

I agree that a top level pass rusher is needed to make the defense very good because one thing that Belichick does is he makes sure that know team will gash them with the run. Now a player like Greg Hardy, Brandon Graham or Eric Norwood in the 1st or 2nd could really make the defense a top 5 unit.

As for the offense, I realise that it will take Brady time to get back in the groove just as it did Peyton Manning last year but it needs to be soon. Scoring 17 against Denver who previously averaged 6.5 a game was good but the execution wasn't there on a lot of throws. I also think that Laurence Maroney is on his way out now so a top notch RB will be needed next year too.

I don't know if I would use the word 'old' to describe the offense, for some reason the word 'tired' seems more appropriate. Brady's deep threat throws to Moss seem way off and because of that he is locking onto Welker. He targeted him 15 times yesterday. That is the most worrying thing. Teams are now seeing that Brady to Welker all day will give you a way better chance than Brady to Welker most of the day and then to Moss. Currently Randy Moss is on pace for 3 TDs this season.

Sniper
10-12-2009, 12:17 PM
BBD, if you love Woodley, you're really going to love Brandon Graham.

bigbluedefense
10-12-2009, 12:20 PM
A lot of really good points but i'll only comment on the one that I have most to say about-the Patriots.

A lot was made especially by TV 'experts' during the offseason that the defense would take a significant step backwards because they lost stalwarts such as Bruschi, Harrison, Vrabel, Hobbs, Seymour etc. What they failed to mention was that with the exception of Seymour, none of the rest where playing at a particularly high level and really only the lockerroom presence was going to be missed.

What has been seen so far on the defensive side is players like Ty Warren, Mike Wright, Brandon Merriweather step up and make huge plays while players like Leigh Bodden coming in from free agency and playing at a high level.

I agree that a top level pass rusher is needed to make the defense very good because one thing that Belichick does is he makes sure that know team will gash them with the run. Now a player like Greg Hardy, Brandon Graham or Eric Norwood in the 1st or 2nd could really make the defense a top 5 unit.

As for the offense, I realise that it will take Brady time to get back in the groove just as it did Peyton Manning last year but it needs to be soon. Scoring 17 against Denver who previously averaged 6.5 a game was good but the execution wasn't there on a lot of throws. I also think that Laurence Maroney is on his way out now so a top notch RB will be needed next year too.

I don't know if I would use the word 'old' to describe the offense, for some reason the word 'tired' seems more appropriate. Brady's deep threat throws to Moss seem way off and because of that he is locking onto Welker. He targeted him 15 times yesterday. That is the most worrying thing. Teams are now seeing that Brady to Welker all day will give you a way better chance than Brady to Welker most of the day and then to Moss. Currently Randy Moss is on pace for 3 TDs this season.

I was a firm believer in this defense, I thought and said it would be better this year than in years past. And it has been. Its desperately missing a pass rush still.

I also feel that it should still use more 3-4 looks than it does. I think its still very capable as a 3-4 defense. At least Bill can mask more blitzes that way.

You brought up a great point that I forgot to mention. Brandon Merriweather has looked incredible thus far. Id go as far as saying he's having a PB year. He's been a huge piece to that defense.

Just wait until Mayo comes back, Butler gets more experience, and they start using Wilfork and Brace together inside. Forgetaboutit.

bigbluedefense
10-12-2009, 12:22 PM

I love me some Lamar Woodley. Part of me wants to say he's better than James Harrison. I kiss the sky every day when I remember that Dallas chose Anthony Spencer over Lamar Woodley.

I'll keep an eye on this guy. I haven't been keeping up with college ball as much as I want to.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-12-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah BBD, never worry about the length of your posts, because I think I speak for most of the forum when I say your write ups are some of the best out there, and a pleasure to read.

I'm also munching crow on McDaniels. I was a "sky is falling" Broncos fan, but I'm in full support of McDaniels now. I think if we had Cutler, we might not be 5-0 right now. Just because sometimes Jay has one of those days where nothing goes right. Like Week 1 with Chicago. But we'd certainly be better equipped to beat the better teams out there and get a Super Bowl.

But Orton... man, I have given this guy too much trouble. He's had his struggles this year but when you look at it he's done everything he can to avoid losing us games. He's effectively thrown zero INTs this year(excluding the halftime hail mary to Moss for obvious reasons) and let our defense work with a long field. If he can have more games like yesterday, I'm not sure he can't QB a Super Bowl team someday. Keep in mind, he's not yet 27. With solid play though he can at least drop QB from our list of needs and let the FO focus on DB and DL.

Totally agree with you on the Bengals. They're Denver's miracle away from being 5-0. I remember watching the Cincy and Denver game thinking it was a matchup between two awful teams, turns out it was two very good teams. I don't think there's a team out there with a better resume than Cincinnati to be honest.

Hines
10-12-2009, 12:27 PM

If he came to the Steelers somehow, our pass rush would be even more deadly.

Harrison, Wood, Graham, Hood, Timmons= <3333.

Sniper
10-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I love me some Lamar Woodley. Part of me wants to say he's better than James Harrison. I kiss the sky every day when I remember that Dallas chose Anthony Spencer over Lamar Woodley.

I'll keep an eye on this guy. I haven't been keeping up with college ball as much as I want to.

He's a tad shorter than Woodley, but I think he's slightly more explosive and has Woodley's bull-rush. He fared very, very well against Bryan Bulaga on Saturday night. Can play the run or the pass equally well.

Dam8610
10-12-2009, 12:34 PM
I haven't done one of these yet. Mine are usually sporadic, and quite long so bare with me.

-James Harrison, Lamar Woodley, and Elvis Dumerville have proven that its better to be short as a 3-4 OLB. Prototypically, everyone wants a 6 4" guy who has strength and speed. But I don't think thats really the case anymore. These 6 foot guys are squat and strong, and because they are stand up rushers, their short height actually plays in their favor bc they get great leverage as a stand up rusher.

These guys can not only speed rush, but bullrush with the best of them because they can get under the OT's pads even while standing up. And that is huge for a 3-4 OLB. They were traditionally known strictly as speed rushers, but what these shorter guys have shown us is, with leverage, they can bullrush too, and they are the new matchup problems for pass protections in the league. Also, because theyre shorter, they have better knee bend in coverage, so it helps them both ways.

The short guys are where its at.

I always wondered how dominant Dwight Freeney could have been as a 3-4 OLB. He couldve been the best 3-4 OLB since LT. He had all the tools, the leverage, the speed, the spin move, the hips. Everything.

I never understood the massive emphasis on height for passrushers (I'm lumping 34 rushbackers in with 43 Ends here). Yes, it means they can get their hands up if they can't get to the QB and deflect some balls, but wouldn't you rather they just get to the QB ala Freeney, Mathis, Woodley, Harrison, Dumervil, etc.?

-The Colts look like the best team in the AFC by far thus far. Their offense has looked as good as its ever been, Peyton looks healthy, their defense looks better than years past (big surprise, i told you Cover 2 sucks), and they'll shore up that run D when Sanders comes back.

2 issues though:

1. They need to shore up that LT spot. Ugoh sucks.
2. When is it time to move on from Bob Sanders? Yes, he brings so much when healthy, but the guy isn't healthy anymore. He's the new Mike Brown. Draft another safety, and move on. Sanders can't be relied on anymore.

Ugoh has Rex Grossman syndrome. His confidence has been destroyed and now despite all the talent he won't be able to succeed. At least not in Indianapolis. Charlie Johnson has been a decent patch, but I think OT is high on the Colts wishlist next draft. As for Sanders, moving on from him would be far too expensive, and I really wouldn't want any other team having him, even if he did only play half of their games. He is that good when healthy. As for your "Tampa 2 sucks" theory, the Colts still run it, they just mix their coverages more now and actually blitz from time to time. I don't think it was the philosophy that sucked, I think it was the lack of creativity in playcalling that sucked, as in it hurt the unit because they had to try to succeed on sheer talent alone.

-Ron Rivera is the most overrated DC in the league. The guy runs soft zones, a passive D, and for some reason he gets a pass for it. Why? He's not a good DC.

Someone needs to sit him down and remind him that Cover 2 sucks.

As I recall he actually got fired from Chicago for not wanting to run the Tampa 2 scheme. He may run passive zones, but that doesn't make it Tampa 2. Coverage shells and schemes are not one and the same.

-Tom Brady isn't the same Tom Brady, and the team as a whole looks old on offense. This team will make the playoffs, but I don't think they'll do much when they get there.

I think people are making a mistake here. Tom Brady is the same Tom Brady, he's just not the one that was getting 6 seconds of protection every time he dropped back and then throwing to virtually all Top 50 picks as the 2007 version everyone seems to remember and attribute to his entire career. He's the Tom Brady that existed prior to that, the one that made a living off of short throws and screens with the occasional mixed in deep ball who threw for about 3800 yards 24 TDs and 12 INTs every year.

Surprisingly, everyone worried about the defense, but the defense is doing a great job this year. Its the offense thats holding them back. Imagine how good that defense could be with an actual pass rusher. That defense will be back with more development.

But they need to invest in some oline. This team is old, and they need to rebuild.

I'm not really sold on their defense. They've played 2 legitimate offenses, and I guess you could say they held them in check, but they also gave up 24 to the Bills and almost lost that game. Check back after they've gone to the Superdome.

-The Bengals are forreal. And more importantly, Cedric Benson is a legit MVP candidate this year.

Yes. Cedric Benson.

Cedric Benson.

Who wouldve thought that? I was a big believer in the guy and thought he'd rejuvenate his career with the Bengals. I saw him run harder and faster than he ever did with the Bears, but I didn't expect him to be THIS good. He's a beast. I had him as my fantasy sleeper, and he's treating me pretty good right now ;)

Oh, and someone rep Rosebud for me. I said since last year that the Bengals were an up and coming team, but I didn't realize it until after they played the Giants last year. I remember prior to that game Rosebud kept telling me, don't sleep on the Bengals defense, and I was like yeah whatever. After teh game though, I became a believer. I knew that team was legit and would bounce back after seeing them play.

And they are. Theyre a good team despite Carson Palmer looking very mediocre this year. Theyre winning with defense and the run game.

Speaking of which, lets give Jonathan Joseph some love. We know about Corey Webster's dramatic turnaround (top 3 CB in the league imo behind Nmandi and Revis), but Joseph has made an impressive turnaround himself. He's been a damn good CB for 2 years now.

If the Bengals get out of Week 10 with the AFC North lead, count me as a believer. They have a rough stretch coming up.

- This might be the best rookie WR core we've seen in quite some time. The rookie WRs in this draft class are doing an amazing job, and all of them look like they have bright futures.

Britt, Maclin, Nicks, Percy, all are starting out great. We have up and comers in Murphy, possibly Barden, MoMas, Robiskie and Tate, and Im sure Im forgetting some others. The book is out on Crabtree.

You forgot Austin Collie, rookie leader in TD catches. :D

-The Ravens defense is not what it used to be. They get a lot of credit but a lot of that credit is unwarranted, as they're living off reputation moreso than production. They still have a great run D, but this team can be thrown on. They need to shore up that secondary, they don't have any CBs. This team as a whole I personally feel is a bit overrated, but they do have in my eyes the best oline in the league, a hell of a run game, and a franchise qb.

They still lack weapons on offense, and CBs on defense. I think that will hold them back from winning a championship this year.

The Ravens defense has been exploitable through the air for years, just ask Peyton Manning.

-The NFC West is going to have 1 playoff team. It will be the 4 seed. Whoever it is, will promptly be stomped out by whichever Wild Card team plays them.

I think the 49ers (who I'd have coming out of the West right now) could at least compete in a postseason game. They may not win, but they'd put up a fight. I'd watch for them to be contenders in the near future, Singletary has them going in the right direction.

-As awful as Dallas has been, they still are 3-2 and can win the NFC East. Anything can happen.

I can't agree with that, they're too sporadic and the Giants are too multidimensional for that to happen. If anyone is in a fight for the East, it's the Giants and Eagles.

AntoinCD
10-12-2009, 12:35 PM
I was a firm believer in this defense, I thought and said it would be better this year than in years past. And it has been. Its desperately missing a pass rush still.

I also feel that it should still use more 3-4 looks than it does. I think its still very capable as a 3-4 defense. At least Bill can mask more blitzes that way.

You brought up a great point that I forgot to mention. Brandon Merriweather has looked incredible thus far. Id go as far as saying he's having a PB year. He's been a huge piece to that defense.

Just wait until Mayo comes back, Butler gets more experience, and they start using Wilfork and Brace together inside. Forgetaboutit.

Yea I wanna have Merriweather's babies. He probably wont go to the pro bowl though because he doesn't have the INTs.

As for Mayo he came back and played about half the defensive snaps yesterday and had a forced fumble so it's looking good defensively.

It also seems that they are prefering to use Myron Pryor instead of Brace inside beside Wilfork or Wright. Not really sure what's up with Brace

Todd Bertuzzi
10-12-2009, 12:38 PM
It's not DHB's fault he has Jamarcus throwing to him.

BmoreBlackByrdz
10-12-2009, 12:38 PM
nice overall write up/summary of the season thus far :)

I think you nailed it dead on with the Ravens defense, they just aren't playing with that high intensity we all saw last year. The blitzes aren't the same and they are struggling to pressure opposing QB's, which really hurts there secondary. While there offense looks real nice, its not good enough to carry the team. I still think they need a top flight weapon for Flacco in the pass game, so until the Baltimore Raven defense can step it up, I can't see them as a playoff contender, not with solid defensive play.

Auron
10-12-2009, 12:47 PM
-Darren Sharper might be one of the least appreciated ball hawk FS's we've seen in the past 10 years. The guy just keeps doing it, but we always overlook him. He should not have been part of 3 teams. Im surprised that this guy has found a hard time sticking with a team. He's not a HOFer, but he's not so bad that he should warrant such little attention in FA.

Sharper in interviews credits a lot of his success to Greg Williams' scheme. He's really been given the freedom to roam in the Defensive backfield, read QB's and and use his instincts to make plays on the ball. I'm guessing the reason he wasn't such a big factor in Minnesota's secondary the past year was because he was restricted to maybe only playing in a confined zone.

Count me in for being wrong on both Cincinnati, and Denver. It's early but both are looking like early favorites for winning their division. I think the Broncos certainly have an easier road as they just need to take care of San Diego.. but the Bengals have shown resiliency, and that they won't back down in the 4th quarter.

San Francisco's showing was poor I agree.. we'll have to see how Singletary gets his team to respond after that.. I still think they can be a solid team but overall they still need quite a few pieces before they will be able to be considered serious NFC contenders. Getting Frank Gore back will go a long way for them.. he really helps cover up how weak the Offensive line is in run blocking with his ability to get yards after contact.

Big game next week in the NFC Giants/Saints. A huge early season test for both teams... Saints Defense has done a great job through the first 4 games but they haven't really faced an experienced Quarterback I'm anxious to see how they fare.. and Manning certainly has had some dangerous weapons emerge for him this season.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Sharper in interviews credits a lot of his success to Greg Williams' scheme. He's really been given the freedom to roam in the Defensive backfield, read QB's and and use his instincts to make plays on the ball. I'm guessing the reason he wasn't such a big factor in Minnesota's secondary the past year was because he was restricted to maybe only playing in a confined zone.

Count me in for being wrong on both Cincinnati, and Denver. It's early but both are looking like early favorites for winning their division. I think the Broncos certainly have an easier road as they just need to take care of San Diego.. but the Bengals have shown resiliency, and that they won't back down in the 4th quarter.

San Francisco's showing was poor I agree.. we'll have to see how Singletary gets his team to respond after that.. I still think they can be a solid team but overall they still need quite a few pieces before they will be able to be considered serious NFC contenders. Getting Frank Gore back will go a long way for them.. he really helps cover up how weak the Offensive line is in run blocking with his ability to get yards after contact.

Big game next week in the NFC Giants/Saints. A huge early season test for both teams... Saints Defense has done a great job through the first 4 games but they haven't really faced an experienced Quarterback I'm anxious to see how they fare.. and Manning certainly has had some dangerous weapons emerge for him this season.

It's a big game, but too early in the season in my opinion. Things can change by the time playoffs come along. One team can cool off, or both, or 1 team can cool off while another get better or hot at the right time. I remember during our superbowl run, we lost to the Packers, Cowboys, and Pats during the regular season before playing them in the playoffs. So this game is still an important game, I would rather have it at the end of the season. But I agree, I think it will be a fun match up.

vikes_28
10-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Cedric Benson is good. But he's not an MVP.

Job
10-12-2009, 01:41 PM

Isn't that what everyone was saying last year at that point?

Great write up you did, as usual, can't find many things to disagree on.

SuperMcGee
10-12-2009, 01:42 PM
-The Bills/Browns game might have been the ugliest NFL game we've seen in quite some time. That was embarassing.

It was about as bad as the game two years ago, but without the massive snowstorm. The only culprits for this one were two terrible, terrible passing games.

We're so bad. Anyone in our back 7 capable of stopping the run is hurt, and our passing game is about 179 degrees away from where it needs to be. Not to mention our coaching and O-line.... 9 false starts? Get out.

Bengalsrocket
10-12-2009, 01:53 PM
If the Bengals get out of Week 10 with the AFC North lead, count me as a believer. They have a rough stretch coming up.

We just got out of a tough stretch :( Divisional games in the AFC North are always tough and emotional, and we just cleared out all 3 divisional rivals in a row.

I think Houston is a weaker opponent than the Ravens and the Steelers by a lot. Chicago is playing well, and maybe they're equal to the Ravens and Steelers as far as talent goes, but they're not better. And then we replay Ravens at home.

These 3 games, in theory, should be easier than our last 3. Next up from there is a tough divisional game against the Steelers, followed by 3 easy ones in Oakland, Cleveland & Detroit.

Even if we lose to the Ravens and Steelers, despite beating them in our first meeting, and Chicago takes us down. We could still be 8-4 by week 13. And that's assuming we don't win any of our hard match ups.

P.S. this was post 1,000 zomg

ThePudge
10-12-2009, 01:55 PM

Yes. Cedric Benson.

Cedric Benson.

Cedric Benson's a Pro Bowl caliber runner if he gets enough help from our offensive line and stays healthy. MVP? No. Cedric's 2nd in line for the MVP of his own team, to a quarterback you referred to as having a mediocre year.

Your assessment of the Bengals is all wrong. They're competing because of their defense and running game, they're winning because of Carson Palmer. Mediocre? Not unless you're looking just at numbers. 4 Games, 4 Drives, and 4 times Carson has put this team on his back and fought to win the game. It would have been 4 wins if it had not been for that debacle against Denver. Where have you been? Carson is and continues to be the heart and soul of the Bengals. The guy is not getting the credit he deserves, it's pretty crazy.

Sorry for getting a little heated, I'm just a little tired of people looking at the numbers and assuming things about the Bengals. Some of us have watched every game, and know that the final statistics don't tell the story. Unless you witnessed Palmer's 4 drives...

vs. Denver -
11 plays 91 yds in 5:43. 6/6 69 yds; 1 car 2 yds. Puts the Bengals up 7-6 with 38 seconds left.

vs. Pittsburgh -
16 plays 71 yds in 5:00. 7/11 59 yds 1 Td; 1 car 1 yd. Game Winning 4 Yard Td pass to Andre Caldwell with 0:14 remaining. 2/2 on fourth downs.

@ Cleveland -
To put it into OT: 10 plays 70 yards in 4:39. 4/7 49 yds 1 Td. Game Tying 2 Yard Td pass to Chad Ochocinco on fourth down with 1:55 remaining.

To win: 13 plays 67 yards in 3:19. 4/8 51 yds; 1 carry 15 yds. 15 yard run on 4th and 11 to set up the GW FG.

@ Baltimore -
11 plays 80 yds in 1:53 - Td. 4/7 49 yds 1 Td; 1 car 6 yds. Game Winning 20 yd Td pass to Andre Caldwell with 22 seconds left. 1/1 4th Down Conversions.

Carson's the best Bengal and is being severely overlooked with the talk about the defense and running game. He's the miracle man and he's the reason we have any wins at this point. He's shown ability past any statistical category and is one of the most intangibly sound and gutsiest quarterbacks in the league. The word "poise" comes to mind and the word "clutch" has been ringing in my ear since Week Two.

That all being said, I liked your write-up as a whole. Just have been a bit annoyed at the lack of respect for the Bengals heart and soul and chose to illustrate it here.

Vox Populi
10-12-2009, 02:16 PM
I've been all over the Bengals nuts since the first Hard Knocks episode this year. I knew that the offense would be much more competent with a fired up Ochocinco and a healthy Palmer along with a revitalized Cedric Benson. If you couldn't see Benson was becoming what he was supposed to be coming out of UT you must not have watched any Bengals games last year (I don't blame you, they were awful with Fitzpatrick). People who were paying attention could also see that their defense is much better with the way they've drafted and the way Mike Zimmer has helped change the culture on the defensive side of the ball there. Zimmer deserves as much credit as Gregg Williams is getting in New Orleans right now in my opinion.

If you've been paying attention to the Bengals since last year you could see it coming that they would be a much better and complete football team. Now, I didn't see them being first in their division, even this early in the season and now that the Steelers offense has found it's rhythm they will be a tough, but at this point, it looks like the Bengals have a great shot at going 5-1 in the division because I still think they'll pull out two victories with one against the Steelers or Ravens. If they go 5-1 in the division it will be hard for them not to win the division. They aren't going to be a Super Bowl contender probably, and I think the Steelers are the best team in the division still and way better suited to perform in the playoffs, but hey, anything can happen. It could be the Bengals year.

Oh, if you couldn't tell, since the Bills season is toast already I'm a Bengals fan now lol. I think the Bengals go 11-5 and 5-1 in the division and will be the 3rd seed in the AFC (Colts 1st, Broncos 2nd).

I have to admit that I am eating some serious McDaniels crow as well. I bought into the media hate fest way too easily. Of course being on the message board doesn't help either for all of the irrational Cutler love there has been since he was a prospect coming out of Vandy. I thought McDaniels was going to be terrible with the way that offseason went and I thought that their roster lacked serious talent all over the place and thought that their defense had no chance of improving with a transition to the 3-4 with a lot of missing pieces. The offense obviously has talent but I just didn't give the team enough respect and now I'm eating a hefty serving of crow :(

I mean, everyone knew he had a lot of potential as a coach on the field, but the way he handled the off-season just turned just about everyone off on him and the Broncos. Guess its working out for them though and I've got to give credit where credits due.

Rosebud
10-12-2009, 02:32 PM
While I agree that for most of Brady's career he wasn't putting up significantly better number than he's on pace for right now, but never in his career was he as inaccurate as he has been this year. In this past what kept his numbers down was a lack of weapons and dink and dunk passing scheme, not his accuracy. This year he has the weapons and dangerous passing scheme but not the accuracy. I think he'll get that accuracy back as he gets more comfortable, since he seems to get rattled by pressure like he never used to, and when that happens we'll see 2007 Brady again, not the same production but that same leet player.

As for Dallas I totally agree, we are so banged up that if players keep dropping like flies I think we might get taken out of that race by injuries and philly hasn't exactly been healthy themselves. While both teams are better than Dallas atm both would sure gladly give up a win or two to have Dallas' health and that could determine the NFC East this year.

I'm going to talk about the Bills even though they've been miserable for a second. How bad has that coaching staff been? Granted they are being held back by a young and under-talented offensive line, but last season they started Langston Walker at LT for periods of time and they weren't so impotent. To me the problem is jauron, he can get a bad/mediocre team to be motivated to succeed as an underdog, but he can not take a good/talent team and make them excel. Add to that a poor OC and a QB who's been rattled badly and you have the embarassment that is this years buffalo bills. That said if that team gets healthy and gets a good coaching staff I could see them competing for the AFC East next season, provided the bring in the right personnel in the offseason, i.e. a new LT, bring back Reed to be that possession guy and bolster their defensive depth. They need to change that environment and start holding themselves to a higher standard because they have a lot of talent on both sides of the ball.

Vox Populi
10-12-2009, 02:38 PM
I think with respect to the way Brady is playing, some amount of it can be attributed to losing McDaniels this off-season. McDaniels was Brady's QB coach and then the offensive coordinator that made Brady an MVP and got Cassel a big pay day. Maybe losing McDaniels did hurt the Pats offense because I don't think this offense is even as good as the one that Cassel was running last season with McDaniels. Sure its easier to say this after McDaniels goes 5-0, Orton is playing pretty solid football and Brady looks much worse though...

Rosebud
10-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Cedric Benson's a Pro Bowl caliber runner if he gets enough help from our offensive line and stays healthy. MVP? No. Cedric's 2nd in line for the MVP of his own team, to a quarterback you referred to as having a mediocre year.

Your assessment of the Bengals is all wrong. They're competing because of their defense and running game, they're winning because of Carson Palmer. Mediocre? Not unless you're looking just at numbers. 4 Games, 4 Drives, and 4 times Carson has put this team on his back and fought to win the game. It would have been 4 wins if it had not been for that debacle against Denver. Where have you been? Carson is and continues to be the heart and soul of the Bengals. The guy is not getting the credit he deserves, it's pretty crazy.

Sorry for getting a little heated, I'm just a little tired of people looking at the numbers and assuming things about the Bengals. Some of us have watched every game, and know that the final statistics don't tell the story. Unless you witnessed Palmer's 4 drives...

vs. Denver -
11 plays 91 yds in 5:43. 6/6 69 yds; 1 car 2 yds. Puts the Bengals up 7-6 with 38 seconds left.

vs. Pittsburgh -
16 plays 71 yds in 5:00. 7/11 59 yds 1 Td; 1 car 1 yd. Game Winning 4 Yard Td pass to Andre Caldwell with 0:14 remaining. 2/2 on fourth downs.

@ Cleveland -
To put it into OT: 10 plays 70 yards in 4:39. 4/7 49 yds 1 Td. Game Tying 2 Yard Td pass to Chad Ochocinco on fourth down with 1:55 remaining.

To win: 13 plays 67 yards in 3:19. 4/8 51 yds; 1 carry 15 yds. 15 yard run on 4th and 11 to set up the GW FG.

@ Baltimore -
11 plays 80 yds in 1:53 - Td. 4/7 49 yds 1 Td; 1 car 6 yds. Game Winning 20 yd Td pass to Andre Caldwell with 22 seconds left. 1/1 4th Down Conversions.

Carson's the best Bengal and is being severely overlooked with the talk about the defense and running game. He's the miracle man and he's the reason we have any wins at this point. He's shown ability past any statistical category and is one of the most intangibly sound and gutsiest quarterbacks in the league. The word "poise" comes to mind and the word "clutch" has been ringing in my ear since Week Two.

That all being said, I liked your write-up as a whole. Just have been a bit annoyed at the lack of respect for the Bengals heart and soul and chose to illustrate it here.

While I don't disagree I think it's a tough situation. To an outside the clear reason you guys are still in games late for Carson to pull of those drives is that the defense is playing very well and Benson has stolen Brandon Jacobs' ogre powers, and carson isn't playing very well the first three quarters. That said I completely agree that you need to give Carson all of the credit in the world for those late drives, but he's going through what eli had to go through where he'll be criticized for not making that magic happen sooner so that he doesn't need to pull the game out at the last minute. Mediocre was harsh, but I think it's fair to say that he is under-achieving and if he could start leading drives like those late drives earlier in the game a lot of us would feel a lot better about the Bengals as a team that could make some real noise in the playoffs. That said it's a long season and there's still plenty of time for Carson to get on a role or for injuries to strike and that team to fall apart, so it should be fun watching this play out.

Rosebud
10-12-2009, 02:46 PM
I think with respect to the way Brady is playing, some amount of it can be attributed to losing McDaniels this off-season. McDaniels was Brady's QB coach and then the offensive coordinator that made Brady an MVP and got Cassel a big pay day. Maybe losing McDaniels did hurt the Pats offense because I don't think this offense is even as good as the one that Cassel was running last season with McDaniels. Sure its easier to say this after McDaniels goes 5-0, Orton is playing pretty solid football and Brady looks much worse though...

While I think you might be right, it's premature to say because of just how much worse Tom Brady is playing, he's not setting up his throws well and his accuracy is terrible. The only time I've seen Tom Brady play this rattled was when my giants decided to put on a pass rushing clinic in the superbowl. I hope he is able to get over this and settle down in the pocket and think in time he will. Once Brady is the Brady of yore we'll be able to fairly determine just how much of an impact SexDanielz had.

10-12-2009, 02:54 PM

vs. Denver -

vs. Pittsburgh -

@ Cleveland -

@ Baltimore -

I only saw the Denver drive, but I've been paying close attention to everything else. It's pretty amazing. It's like he can just turn on the clutch and close out games. But it is strange, because statistically he's been mediocre when it's not his team's last drive. We should bring this into the "is there such thing as clutch?" discussion because this is some damn good evidence in favour.

Rosebud
10-12-2009, 03:04 PM
I only saw the Denver drive, but I've been paying close attention to everything else. It's pretty amazing. It's like he can just turn on the clutch and close out games. But it is strange, because statistically he's been mediocre when it's not his team's last drive. We should bring this into the "is there such thing as clutch?" discussion because this is some damn good evidence in favour.

I saw Eli go through the same thing, which is why I laugh whenever someone tries to tell me there's no such thing as clutch. Hell even early brady was the same way, he'd just dink n dunk until the pressure was on and then he'd drive his team as though he were playing catch with some buddies.

themaninblack
10-12-2009, 03:05 PM

Yes. Cedric Benson.

Cedric Benson.

Give Ceddie his due as he has been fantastic for us to this point, but the thing I have been most impressed with is our reshuffled OL. We have former LG Andrew Whitworth now playing LT, Evan Mathis replacing incumbent Nate Livings at LG, UDFA Kyle Cook at Center, and newbie Dennis Roland playing RT. The only starter returning at the same spot is Bobbie Williams at RG. They have been much better than expected in all phases.

Agreed on the JJ mention. When healthy he is a very good player with all the skills to become one of the best in the league but injuries have really held him back the last two years. Paired with Leon Hall, they could be one of the better duos in the league with time.

vidae
10-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Great writeup like usual. Always enjoy these.

Thank you for mentioning Tamba Hali. Most thought it would be a rough transition for him moving to 3-4 OLB but he has shown flashes. He lost weight, he is working hard, and he is going to stick there. Gotta root for a guy that plays as hard as he does every play.

Babylon
10-12-2009, 03:10 PM
While I think you might be right, it's premature to say because of just how much worse Tom Brady is playing, he's not setting up his throws well and his accuracy is terrible. The only time I've seen Tom Brady play this rattled was when my giants decided to put on a pass rushing clinic in the superbowl. I hope he is able to get over this and settle down in the pocket and think in time he will. Once Brady is the Brady of yore we'll be able to fairly determine just how much of an impact SexDanielz had.

To me the Pats just arent the team they were two years ago, on either side of the ball. They easily could have lost the Buffalo and Baltimore. Brady doesnt have the time to throw and to me Moss looks timid. Just my take.

Rosebud
10-12-2009, 03:16 PM
To me the Pats just arent the team they were two years ago, on either side of the ball. They easily could have lost the Buffalo and Baltimore. Brady doesnt have the time to throw and to me Moss looks timid. Just my take.

I agree. I just think we can't really tell how different they are because of how off Brady has been. That OL has never been great but Brady used to have such great pocket presence that it didn't matter whether he got 6 seconds or 2, he'd still avoid the pressure and set himself up to make a great throw. He's just not doing that this season.

bigbluedefense
10-12-2009, 03:34 PM
Perhaps my words were a little misleading.

Im not doubting the importance of Carson's game winning drives, they have been huge for this team. And I am personally a believer in clutch, and yes Carson has been clutch this season.

But he's not the MVP of the team bc of it. I can make the case that, if Benson hasn't been performing the way he has, this team wouldn't be put in those clutch situations to begin with, and I can make a strong case that without Benson chewing up the clock and keeping the defense off the field, this team could just as likely be 0-5 as it is 4-1.

Carson has been clutch. But that doesn't make him the MVP of the team. He has been mediocre in the game up to those clutch moments. How many pick 6s has he thrown this year? I can't call him the MVP of the team when he's been average outside of the last drives of the game.

Now, to clarify, mediocre means average. It sounds harsher than it really is.

of only ordinary or moderate quality; neither good nor bad; barely adequate. per dictionary.com

Ordinary. Carson has been ordinary this year. But thats ok. Ive seen Eli be an ordinary qb for 3 quarters and show up clutch in the 4th for most of his career. You can be ordinary but also clutch, Ive seen it first hand prior to Eli becoming the qb he has become the past couple of years.

But you can't call him the MVP of the team bc of it. Its just not fair to the other guys. Benson has carried that offense. He carried that offense vs Baltimore. He's easily the MVP of the team in my mind. The whole team feeds off of his contributions. The defense doesn't play the way it does without the rest he gives them, the complimentary pass game doesn't produce the way it does without him softening the defense.

Now I could be ignorant of the situation. If Carson is calling the plays at the line, audibles and adjusts the protection schemes or the run blocking, etc (ie, call the offense and adjust it on his own), then you can make a case for Carson. But I don't have that knowledge of the team, so as an outsider, I view Benson as the guy.

Forenci
10-12-2009, 03:37 PM

Thank you for mentioning Tamba Hali. Most thought it would be a rough transition for him moving to 3-4 OLB but he has shown flashes. He lost weight, he is working hard, and he is going to stick there. Gotta root for a guy that plays as hard as he does every play.

A lot of people forget Hali was very raw coming out of college too. As I recall he didn't play football until sometime in high school. Alot of times it just takes guys like that a couple years to adjust and get going at this level. Or it takes scheme change for a guy to really blossom and find their niche.

On another note I'm curious to see if the Packers would consider trading Kampman to a 4-3 team with a need for a pass rusher. My guess is that they could probably get a first round pick for him.

I'm not really sure of a team (probably would be looking to make playoff run) who needs a 4-3 end though. At least not off the top of my head.

bigbluedefense
10-12-2009, 03:43 PM
A lot of people forget Hali was very raw coming out of college too. As I recall he didn't play football until sometime in high school. Alot of times it just takes guys like that a couple years to adjust and get going at this level. Or it takes scheme change for a guy to really blossom and find their niche.

On another note I'm curious to see if the Packers would consider trading Kampman to a 4-3 team with a need for a pass rusher. My guess is that they could probably get a first round pick for him.

I'm not really sure of a team (probably would be looking to make playoff run) who needs a 4-3 end though. At least not off the top of my head.

I think the Bengals would be open to it. Maybe the Titans.

Id give em Kiwi and a 4th for him. How awesome would our dline be with Kampman?

Forenci
10-12-2009, 03:51 PM
I think the Bengals would be open to it. Maybe the Titans.

Id give em Kiwi and a 4th for him. How awesome would our dline be with Kampman?

Bengals would probably make sense too. They aren't in the NFC, their first round pick will probably be late enough to where they could live without it this year, and I think they could use an elite pass rusher.

bernbabybern820
10-12-2009, 04:06 PM
I don't know why you're bashing DHB.

He won a race yesterday at Giants stadium even though the other runner had a head start.

pYDsVY_J6Cc&feature=player_embedded

Bengalsrocket
10-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I'd love Kampman here, but I don't know if we have room. Plus, our pass rush has been good thus far, just not elite.

bigbluedefense
10-12-2009, 04:09 PM

He won a race yesterday at Giants stadium even though the other runner had a head start.

hahaha, i remember that. i was like wtf is he doing?

the comments on that video had me cracking up, esp the one where the guy says "he was waiting for someone to pass him the baton"

CC.SD
10-12-2009, 04:25 PM

Wow, f'ing terrible. Basically 'track star over football player' personified in one clip.

Forenci
10-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Hey, at least give him credit for running down field to make a tackle even though the play had technically been blown dead.

CC.SD
10-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey, at least give him credit for running down field to make a tackle even though the play had technically been blown dead.

I would if I thought there were even a slight chance that he knew that.

10-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Would have been funnier if he sprinted to the endzone looking back at #41 holding his arms like this http://duttybwoy.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/usain-bolt1.jpg

SFbear
10-12-2009, 04:50 PM
Hey, at least give him credit for running down field even though the play had technically been blown dead.

FTFY. I found the "to make a tackle" part questionable.

scottyboy
10-12-2009, 04:53 PM
let's be honest, the real reason for the Bengals turnaround is this man/god:

http://www.collegefootball.org/newsimages/1047-med.jpg

bigbluedefense
10-12-2009, 05:24 PM
For those of you who didn't watch the game and saw that vid clip:

Just to clarify, the only reason why they sniffed the 10 yard line was bc Sinorice Moss fumbled a punt which they recovered at the 10.

In conclusion, Sinorice Moss sucks.

You know you suck when you suck against the Raiders. It takes a special kind of suck to suck that bad.

Dam8610
10-12-2009, 06:00 PM
We just got out of a tough stretch :( Divisional games in the AFC North are always tough and emotional, and we just cleared out all 3 divisional rivals in a row.

I think Houston is a weaker opponent than the Ravens and the Steelers by a lot. Chicago is playing well, and maybe they're equal to the Ravens and Steelers as far as talent goes, but they're not better. And then we replay Ravens at home.

These 3 games, in theory, should be easier than our last 3. Next up from there is a tough divisional game against the Steelers, followed by 3 easy ones in Oakland, Cleveland & Detroit.

Even if we lose to the Ravens and Steelers, despite beating them in our first meeting, and Chicago takes us down. We could still be 8-4 by week 13. And that's assuming we don't win any of our hard match ups.

P.S. this was post 1,000 zomg

I was looking at the 4 game stretch as a whole. IMO it's going to take going at least 1-1 against Pittsburgh and Baltimore for the Bengals to stay atop the division, and if that happens, they'd have to win the other 2 matchups against an up and coming team with a lot of promise on offense in Houston (Matt Schaub is quietly one of the Top 10 QBs in the NFL at the moment) and then a team that I would consider a playoff contender at this point in Chicago (Jay Cutler has also been performing great aside from his Week 1 debacle). Then they have their 2 biggest divisional threats right in a row. The good news for them is the next 3 are at home, but then they have to travel to Heinz Field. I like their chances if they emerge from that stretch 3-1, or maybe 2-2 if they don't lose both divisional games. That said, the way they've been winning games and seemingly playing to competition level (see: barely beating the Browns in OT), they're not exactly inspiring the utmost of confidence at this point to say the least.

While I agree that for most of Brady's career he wasn't putting up significantly better number than he's on pace for right now, but never in his career was he as inaccurate as he has been this year. In this past what kept his numbers down was a lack of weapons and dink and dunk passing scheme, not his accuracy. This year he has the weapons and dangerous passing scheme but not the accuracy. I think he'll get that accuracy back as he gets more comfortable, since he seems to get rattled by pressure like he never used to, and when that happens we'll see 2007 Brady again, not the same production but that same leet player.

IMO the reason he's not looking all that great is because he's not getting great protection and he seems to have lost that ridiculous pocket presence that made him a great player prior to 2007. The first time I saw it was in Super Bowl XLII, the Brady of old would never have been sacked that many times and that easily, I watched him dodge many a sack like several of the ones he took in XLII just the year prior in the AFC Championship game, Booger McFarland would have had about 5 sacks in that game if Brady played the way he did in XLII that day. Of course the injury didn't help matters for him, but I think that element of his game has eroded for a variety of reasons and that's what's causing his "less than stellar" performance (which is really right on par with his pre-2007 numbers).

ATLDirtyBirds
10-12-2009, 06:04 PM
Mmm. I'd be incredibly happy if we were to get Kampman as our LE instead of having Jamaal Anderson out there.

bigbluedefense
10-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Mmm. I'd be incredibly happy if we were to get Kampman as our LE instead of having Jamaal Anderson out there.

he's still playing?

bigbluedefense
10-12-2009, 06:07 PM
I was looking at the 4 game stretch as a whole. IMO it's going to take going at least 1-1 against Pittsburgh and Baltimore for the Bengals to stay atop the division, and if that happens, they'd have to win the other 2 matchups against an up and coming team with a lot of promise on offense in Houston (Matt Schaub is quietly one of the Top 10 QBs in the NFL at the moment) and then a team that I would consider a playoff contender at this point in Chicago (Jay Cutler has also been performing great aside from his Week 1 debacle). Then they have their 2 biggest divisional threats right in a row. The good news for them is the next 3 are at home, but then they have to travel to Heinz Field. I like their chances if they emerge from that stretch 3-1, or maybe 2-2 if they don't lose both divisional games. That said, the way they've been winning games and seemingly playing to competition level (see: barely beating the Browns in OT), they're not exactly inspiring the utmost of confidence at this point to say the least.

IMO the reason he's not looking all that great is because he's not getting great protection and he seems to have lost that ridiculous pocket presence that made him a great player prior to 2007. The first time I saw it was in Super Bowl XLII, the Brady of old would never have been sacked that many times and that easily, I watched him dodge many a sack like several of the ones he took in XLII just the year prior in the AFC Championship game, Booger McFarland would have had about 5 sacks in that game if Brady played the way he did in XLII that day. Of course the injury didn't help matters for him, but I think that element of his game has eroded for a variety of reasons and that's what's causing his "less than stellar" performance (which is really right on par with his pre-2007 numbers).

I think you have to give Brady more time. He's clearly off with his pocket presence and accuracy. He still has happy feet.

10-12-2009, 06:12 PM
He's still subconsciously afraid IMO. He hurt his knee, and now his brain won't let him keep his feet planted when there's pressure up the middle. He'll get over it eventually, the only question is when.

Dam8610
10-12-2009, 06:35 PM
I think you have to give Brady more time. He's clearly off with his pocket presence and accuracy. He still has happy feet.

I'd agree with you if I hadn't seen the clear decline in his pocket awareness before the injury. I can't blame the guy, I mean he was getting copious amounts of time to throw for pretty much an entire season, but I think that really served to erode his pocket awareness and the injury was just the icing on the cake. Really the same problem showed in the 2007 AFC Championship, as well as the games in the regular season that the Patriots struggled to win (the Colts, Eagles, and Ravens all got a ton of pressure on him for the majority of the game, and he was taking sacks that he wouldn't have taken in years prior), but the Super Bowl was where it reared its head the most.

CC.SD
10-12-2009, 06:47 PM
I'd agree with you if I hadn't seen the clear decline in his pocket awareness before the injury. I can't blame the guy, I mean he was getting copious amounts of time to throw for pretty much an entire season, but I think that really served to erode his pocket awareness and the injury was just the icing on the cake. Really the same problem showed in the 2007 AFC Championship, as well as the games in the regular season that the Patriots struggled to win (the Colts, Eagles, and Ravens all got a ton of pressure on him for the majority of the game, and he was taking sacks that he wouldn't have taken in years prior), but the Super Bowl was where it reared its head the most.

I remember the 2007 AFC Championship game, because Brady didn't look all that invincible and he certainly got beat up. Glancing from that to the Giants pass rush, I remember thinking that 19-0 wasn't in the bag by a long shot.

Raiderz4Life
10-12-2009, 06:55 PM
It doesnt help that JR is his QB but DHB is reall just Troy Williamson 1.1

10-12-2009, 07:10 PM

You bring up the Super Bowl, but remember, he was playing hurt during that game. It got shoved under the mat when the Giants won, but before, they were saying how Brady hurt something in his leg, which could affect his mobility.

Forenci
10-12-2009, 08:17 PM
For those of you who didn't watch the game and saw that vid clip:

Just to clarify, the only reason why they sniffed the 10 yard line was bc Sinorice Moss fumbled a punt which they recovered at the 10.

In conclusion, Sinorice Moss sucks.

You know you suck when you suck against the Raiders. It takes a special kind of suck to suck that bad.

I think you're being far to harsh on Moss, honestly. He messed up there but other than that he's done a solid job catching punts and even looked good on a couple of returns after that (or before) as I recall.

He will probably never work out to be worth a second round pick but if he can return kicks/punts effectively and help on special teams thats more than a lot of players who become busts can do.

Keep in mind he also mind a really nice special teams tackle in the game too!

Iamcanadian
10-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Just thought I'd mention that Woodley is 6'2" and not a 6' smurf. The beauty of the 3-4 is that their OLB's don't have to be great athletes as they are only asked to cover one quarter of the field while a 4-3 OLB's must cover one third of the field.
You might not like the Cover 2 defense but both the Giants and the Steelers used it as their primary defense in their Super Bowl victories to shut down 2 great passing attacks in NE and Arizona. I think more and more teams are rotating their defenses to suit the situation rather than relying on one fixed type.
Cincy IMO, is on the rise because of 2 factors. 1) Palmer is healthy for the
1st time in 3 years and is just proving how much a franchise QB means to a football team. 2) Benson has finally stepped forward and become the RB every scout thought he would be when he was drafted by Chicago. These 2 factors have permitted Cincy to give their defense lots of rest during the game, a whole different story from last season.
New England is a team that has undergone a massive defensive change and including injuries, just isn't the defensive team they were. Brady like Peyton last year, is coming off an injury and isn't performing up to snuff. He is rusty and missing open receivers like I have never known him to do. New England may slip into a playoff spot but it will be next year before they are back to where they were IMO.
I may have to eat humble pie re McDaniels' success with his 5-0 record but I still remember that Zorn was 5-0 last year in his rookie season so I'm not yet jumping on his bandwagon but I am definitely wavering.
It is quite obvious that Merriman is also not all the way back from his injury and when you add in how poor a HC Turner is, San Diego is a very good bet to miss the playoffs.
I predicted Tennessee's fall from grace and I think I am the only one who predicted that VY would be their starting QB by mid season.
The Oakland Raiders are a dead team living in the dead zone until Al Davis passes away. They will not compete again until that happens. Cable is a terrible HC but a good soldier who does what Al tells him to do. I must say that Russell never had a chance in that dysfunctional organization and I wonder if he will resurrect his career with another team.
Mangini showed his lack of scouting ability when he traded Sanchez to the Jets, passing on a franchise QB his team so desperately needed. He was unable to project how good Sanchez would be with time and will continue to prove to be a disaster as the man who runs the draft for Cleveland.
Dallas is a lot worse than I thought. Jerry Jones has run this franchise into the ground and no matter how good a salesman he is, this team is going nowhere fast.
I thought Pittsburgh was dead for this season with no running attack and a mediocre OL that couldn't protect Roethlisberger without a running attack to slow up the pass rush. How wrong I was. Mendenhall is the answer to all their problems, who knew???

Shiver
10-12-2009, 10:29 PM
he's still playing?

We actually moved Anderson to starting DT (we were desperate with Jerry's injury) and starting Biermann at LE. Anderson has been due to move inside for a while now, he is easily over 300-lbs and does well against the run.

Flyboy
10-12-2009, 10:42 PM
Old Man Sharper has been giving me a woody this season.

wogitalia
10-13-2009, 03:01 AM

Great write up.

I can only speak from someone who watched him the last few years in Minny but you pretty much described why he is a great safety but also why he has had 3 teams. Sharper is a pure ball hawk, he will not prioritise the run and he will not play a zone or assignment. The Saints are using him flawlessly so far, they have told him to sit back and ball hawk, for the Vikings he was horrible the last 2 years, he would sit back and ball hawk and leave massive gaps in the zone as a result, whether you like the cover 2 or not, it is what the Vikes run/ran and he was just a really bad and costly fit in that system.

Can't speak for why the Packers let him go but I imagine it was also scheme related as that is Sharpers biggest flaw.

LizardState
10-13-2009, 05:00 AM

It's Brady who looks timid too, & Moss is a non-factor, caught a grand total of 1 ball Sunday. The Patriots don't have that lynchpin player that they had in the past, & they seem to run out of gas in the 4th qtr. Showing its age? Yeah. maybe this is the beginning of the end of the Beilichik Empire that has been predicted lately & overdue by 2 yrs. Miami showed that the Fins from Landshark Stadium (love that name) are circling with MVP candidate Sanchez & the Jets to take the NFC East crown.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-13-2009, 07:37 AM
What are you going on about C2 defense BBD?

CC.SD
10-13-2009, 05:02 PM

edit; maybe not.

Basileus777
10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't know how much blame you can really put on Rivera, the Chargers simply don't have the talent to be a good defense.

Look, their DL is terrible. Not one of those guys pulls a double team. In '06 and even '07 they had Jamal and Merriman commanding doubles leaving Castillo/Ceasire/Igor and Phillips singled and sometimes an unaccounted for blitzing Inside backer...

Look at the initial burst at the line, particularly against Pitt and Balt. The DL gets moved backwards 3 yards every running play. Their safeties and corners get more tackles on runs than their LBs. You can't scheme for that.

They have no NT. Nwagbo is getting beat one on one which now leaves an open OG to penetrate the second level and decimate their LB's. Same is true for the pass rush. They can no longer get an inside rush because there is an extra OG to pick them up.

The back 7 is also hampered by terrible players like Burnett, Cromartie, Hart, and this gimped version of Merriman. Cooper is the only guy on the front seven playing well.

I don't think Rivera is especially good, but he doesn't have much to work with right now. AJ Smith deserves most of the blame, he hasn't done a good job the past few years.

Crazy_Chris
10-13-2009, 05:58 PM

Indeed it is very impressive how many rookie WRs are making impacts this year. Although not as impressive due to the much easier positional transition from college to pro game. I thought that this class of Rookie LBs deserve a mention too. They are all making some plays for their teams. Clay Mattews has a sack and the play were he rips the ball out of Peterson's hands, Lauriniatis picked of Favre, Maualuga has a sack 2 forced fumbles, Brian Cushing has a Safety and 3 passes defensed, and Aaron Curry has 2 sacks and 2 FFs. So far it would seem to have been a very good year to draft a LB or WR.

bernbabybern820
10-13-2009, 08:04 PM
I don't know how much blame you can really put on Rivera, the Chargers simply don't have the talent to be a good defense.

Look, their DL is terrible. Not one of those guys pulls a double team. In '06 and even '07 they had Jamal and Merriman commanding doubles leaving Castillo/Ceasire/Igor and Phillips singled and sometimes an unaccounted for blitzing Inside backer...

Look at the initial burst at the line, particularly against Pitt and Balt. The DL gets moved backwards 3 yards every running play. Their safeties and corners get more tackles on runs than their LBs. You can't scheme for that.

They have no NT. Nwagbo is getting beat one on one which now leaves an open OG to penetrate the second level and decimate their LB's. Same is true for the pass rush. They can no longer get an inside rush because there is an extra OG to pick them up.

The back 7 is also hampered by terrible players like Burnett, Cromartie, Hart, and this gimped version of Merriman. Cooper is the only guy on the front seven playing well.

I don't think Rivera is especially good, but he doesn't have much to work with right now. AJ Smith deserves most of the blame, he hasn't done a good job the past few years.

The Raiders running game gashed them and Jamarcus Russell threw a td on them. Nuff said.

bigbluedefense
10-13-2009, 08:53 PM

i think my disdain for the base Tampa 2 scheme (as we once knew it) is well documented.

i will say this though, i don't have an issue with the play, and i don't think any teams in the league run it in its pure form anymore.

but it still sucks.

fenikz
10-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Everyone said that about the NFC West last year and we "promptly stomped out' everyone on the way to the Superbowl only to be ****** over by mr. zebra

bigbluedefense
10-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Everyone said that about the NFC West last year and we "promptly stomped out' everyone on the way to the Superbowl only to be ****** over by mr. zebra

The only team that has a chance in my eyes out of the West is Seattle, if they can stay healthy.

Seattle is actually a pretty good team. But Jim Mora coaches them, and Hasselbeck is injury prone.

And that oline is shakey.

Rosebud
10-13-2009, 09:04 PM
The only team that has a chance in my eyes out of the West is Seattle, if they can stay healthy.

Seattle is actually a pretty good team. But Jim Mora coaches them, and Hasselbeck is injury prone.

And that oline is shakey.

I'd take the Rams and Cardinals ahead of seattle. The seahawks can't run the ball, hasselback is undependable, they have a terrible head coach and that D is no longer even near the elite.

Auron
10-13-2009, 09:05 PM
i think my disdain for the base Tampa 2 scheme (as we once knew it) is well documented.

i will say this though, i don't have an issue with the play, and i don't think any teams in the league run it in its pure form anymore.

but it still sucks.
I think it's a decent scheme to go to once you establish a solid lead, maybe 10 points or more. Makes the opposing Offense have to work their way down the field, taking more time off the clock, and the hope is that they'll slip up somewhere a long the way.

It's just that tackling really needs to be emphasized in this scheme.. opposing QBs will complete passes against your shell Cover 2... it's up to your guys to go up and make the tackle right away... or else you're giving up way more chunks of unnecessary yardage then intended.

I also believe Cover 2, leaves the middle of the field too exposed far too often... We're seeing more and more athletic pass catching Tight Ends coming into this league and the Jason Witten's, Ben Watson's, Kellen Winslow's..etc eat the Cover 2 for lunch simply by running an 8-route right in the middle seam of that Defense... and there aren't enough Brian Urlachers, Lofa Tatupu's in the league to really drive back and get depths in their drops to really effectively cover that Deep middle zone.

You saw Brady in week 1 MNF.. essentially win that game with the same plays, against the same Defense. As soon as he read Cover 2 he knew exactly which part of the field to attack.

CC.SD
10-13-2009, 09:24 PM

Cooper's not playing well. There's not a single player on the front 7 that should be starting right now for a contending team, with the exception of maaaaaaaybe Shaun Phillips. In the secondary, you have Jammer playing exceptionally, Weddle being as average as it gets, and utter bile in Cromartie and Hart. It's a bad, bad group.

10-13-2009, 10:08 PM
WTH happened to Cro?

HawkEye30
10-14-2009, 09:56 AM
I'd take the Rams and Cardinals ahead of seattle. The seahawks can't run the ball, hasselback is undependable, they have a terrible head coach and that D is no longer even near the elite.

Woah, Woah, Woah. I will admit that seattle might not be the best team in the division, but im not exactly sure how you can say we are worse than the rams(who we blew out in week one)? And I guess you can say hasslbeck is undependable because of his injuries these past two seasons but im willing to say that seneca wallace is more dependable then marc bulger and kyle boller combined. So in short, the rams are definitely the worst team in our division.

10-14-2009, 10:04 AM
The Rams would be the worst team in any division. Even the Big 12 North.

DMWSackMachine
10-14-2009, 11:12 AM

Dallas' OL coach Hudson Houck was very complementary of Hali, saying before the game that he would be the best pass rusher Dallas had faced all year to this point in the season. Considering that we've played against the likes of Justin Tuck, Osi, Peppers, Gaines Adams and Elvis Dumervil, that is saying quite a bit.

Giantsfan1080
10-14-2009, 11:14 AM
Dallas' OL coach Hudson Houck was very complementary of Hali, saying before the game that he would be the best pass rusher Dallas had faced all year to this point in the season. Considering that we've played against the likes of Justin Tuck, Osi, Peppers, Gaines Adams and Elvis Dumervil, that is saying quite a bit.

Perhaps you need a new OL coach then? Hali is nowhere close to the likes of Peppers, Tuck, Osi, and Dumervil.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-14-2009, 11:19 AM

but it still sucks.

Well I never was a fan of the TAMPA 2 either, but Kiffin ran that thing perfectly. He had an amazing personnel to run it as well. I prefer a more aggressive style of defense, but there is a difference than a C2 defense and base TAMPA 2.

awfullyquiet
10-14-2009, 11:33 AM
WTH happened to Cro?

They stopped getting ridiculously good pressure, and the corners ended up looking closer to their actual ability.

See: Finnegan, Cortland and Hope, Chris and the 2009-2010 Tennessee Titans.

DMWSackMachine
10-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Perhaps you need a new OL coach then? Hali is nowhere close to the likes of Peppers, Tuck, Osi, and Dumervil.

I thought something similar. You hear some crazy ish from "inside sources" like that, but let's be real. Hudson Houck is an OL legend. He was the man that brought the early 90s Cowboys OLs, the best of my lifetime, together and turned them into the dominant units they were. He has a looooong history success in the league and knows all there is to know about rushing the passer and neutralizing that rush. This isn't some 32 year old junior assistant we're talking about. This is one of the old guard.

Now, there is always the possibility that he's gone senile and no one has noticed yet because they're too busy trying to put out the raging wildfires in the Cowboy organization.....but what are the chances of that?

But take it fwiw.

Giantsfan1080
10-14-2009, 12:07 PM
I thought something similar. You hear some crazy ish from "inside sources" like that, but let's be real. Hudson Houck is an OL legend. He was the man that brought the early 90s Cowboys OLs, the best of my lifetime, together and turned them into the dominant units they were. He has a looooong history success in the league and knows all there is to know about rushing the passer and neutralizing that rush. This isn't some 32 year old junior assistant we're talking about. This is one of the old guard.

Now, there is always the possibility that he's gone senile and no one has noticed yet because they're too busy trying to put out the raging wildfires in the Cowboy organization.....but what are the chances of that?

But take it fwiw.

This is true. Maybe he's seen something that no one else has yet so I'll try to keep an eye on Hali more this year.

CC.SD
10-14-2009, 12:17 PM
They stopped getting ridiculously good pressure, and the corners ended up looking closer to their actual ability.

See: Finnegan, Cortland and Hope, Chris and the 2009-2010 Tennessee Titans.

Only half true, I blame quite a bit of it on Cro just not giving a damn about anything. He is a lollygagger on the field.

PalmerToCJ
10-14-2009, 12:38 PM
let's be honest, the real reason for the Bengals turnaround is this man/god:

http://www.collegefootball.org/newsimages/1047-med.jpg

This is the truth. Seriously, the guy gets it done. Whenever we need a big 3rd down catch or something he's there. Last week, on 2nd down late the Center snapped the ball before Carson was ready. Hits Carson in the leg, could've easily cost us the game but BAM! The god Leonard is there to jump on the fumble. Honestly, I do like what he brings to the team lol.

As for the Broncos, I wrote on the Bengals forum after our loss to them that although they're not big on talent... They were definitely well coached, you could see that in week one. We completely shut them down offensively in the 1st half but McDaniels came out in the 2nd half with that New England style of quick hit offense and they started to move the ball on us.

Rosebud
10-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Woah, Woah, Woah. I will admit that seattle might not be the best team in the division, but im not exactly sure how you can say we are worse than the rams(who we blew out in week one)? And I guess you can say hasslbeck is undependable because of his injuries these past two seasons but im willing to say that seneca wallace is more dependable then marc bulger and kyle boller combined. So in short, the rams are definitely the worst team in our division.

Yeah, that was a brain fart on my part, I meant to say the 49ers and Cardinals.

Xenos
10-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Cooper's not playing well. There's not a single player on the front 7 that should be starting right now for a contending team, with the exception of maaaaaaaybe Shaun Phillips. In the secondary, you have Jammer playing exceptionally, Weddle being as average as it gets, and utter bile in Cromartie and Hart. It's a bad, bad group.
And I thank God everyday that we have such a average safety like Weddle to make sure that there is no home run every time a run play is called. That guy is literally our last line of defense against the run, which is very sad if you think about it.

Plus, he gets way too much flak from Chargers fans. He's a great FS who keeps the big plays from happening, but can also come close to the LOS and blitz well.

BlindSite
10-14-2009, 11:55 PM
I like a lot of what I've seen of Weddle, right now the problem in SD from what I've seen this year is their linebacker play.

They've got talent but it's not getting the job done.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-15-2009, 07:26 AM
I think it's a decent scheme to go to once you establish a solid lead, maybe 10 points or more. Makes the opposing Offense have to work their way down the field, taking more time off the clock, and the hope is that they'll slip up somewhere a long the way.

It's just that tackling really needs to be emphasized in this scheme.. opposing QBs will complete passes against your shell Cover 2... it's up to your guys to go up and make the tackle right away... or else you're giving up way more chunks of unnecessary yardage then intended.

I also believe Cover 2, leaves the middle of the field too exposed far too often... We're seeing more and more athletic pass catching Tight Ends coming into this league and the Jason Witten's, Ben Watson's, Kellen Winslow's..etc eat the Cover 2 for lunch simply by running an 8-route right in the middle seam of that Defense... and there aren't enough Brian Urlachers, Lofa Tatupu's in the league to really drive back and get depths in their drops to really effectively cover that Deep middle zone.

You saw Brady in week 1 MNF.. essentially win that game with the same plays, against the same Defense. As soon as he read Cover 2 he knew exactly which part of the field to attack.

That's why you mix coverages up and try to disguise them. Obviously the stuff that's run is well scouted and prepared by scouting and breaking down film. C2, in general, is a fine coverage, you just have to mix it up and disguise it. But there different variations of that coverage as well as other coverages you can add to the mix. It really isn't a big deal.

10-15-2009, 11:28 AM

But take it fwiw.

Ocho Cinco once said Leigh Bodden was the best corner he had ever faced. Sometimes people say things for some reason that are clearly not true. Both of these are examples of that.

CC.SD
10-15-2009, 12:00 PM
And I thank God everyday that we have such a average safety like Weddle to make sure that there is no home run every time a run play is called. That guy is literally our last line of defense against the run, which is very sad if you think about it.

Plus, he gets way too much flak from Chargers fans. He's a great FS who keeps the big plays from happening, but can also come close to the LOS and blitz well.

Yeah I don't have any real beef with Weddle, especially considering he's not even close to the real problem, but he is truly unspectacular on a defense that really needs a couple more standout players.

Chucky
10-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Lame...what is it about NFC West fans?

LizardState
10-15-2009, 01:09 PM

Stick around, you may see a housecleaning in the Dallas coaching staff if they continue to stuggle into overtime to beat winless teams & melt down vs. the major NFL powers. Remember, a big p/o the Dallas braintrust including their scouts & Sparano were raided by Parcells & jumped ship to Miami. This, coupled with Garrett's underachieving in playcalling as OC, has created big problems in the front office.

\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

they're too busy trying to put out the raging wildfires in the Cowboy organization.

sackmachine nailed it there. If they lose to the clownish, thumblefuck Raiders on Thanxgiving I think Jerry Jones will go into firing mode & there will be hell to pay.

CC.SD
10-15-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm rooting for some legit failure in Dallas just to get Wade Phillips back. His defensive regime was the last time the bolts bothered to really get aggressive with their blitz tactics. Cottrell and Rivera both call games like they're coaching a 4-3.

Basileus777
10-15-2009, 01:53 PM
They've got talent but it's not getting the job done.

I don't think they really have much talent on defense. Other than Merriman (who sucks right now), the best player on that defense is Quentin Jammer. Even if Castillo and Cromartie's draft status is fooling you into thinking they are any good, I don't really know how anyone could look at that defense and say it's loaded with talent.

CC.SD
10-15-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't think they really have much talent on defense. Other than Merriman (who sucks right now), the best player on that defense is Quentin Jammer. Even if Castillo and Cromartie's draft status is fooling you into thinking they are any good, I don't really know how anyone could look at that defense and say it's loaded with talent.

Don't forget...Phillips? Yah it's bad over here. Throw in the #32 running game and I don't feel so bad about the signed Rivers photo under my pillow.

Xenos
10-15-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm rooting for some legit failure in Dallas just to get Wade Phillips back. His defensive regime was the last time the bolts bothered to really get aggressive with their blitz tactics. Cottrell and Rivera both call games like they're coaching a 4-3.
If we can stop the run, I think Rivera would be more aggressive. But as it is now, we can't tee off on a QB because it's being neutralized by the running game. Do you know why our cornerbacks have always played off? It's because it allows them a better chance to stop the run as opposed to being in press all the time.

CC.SD
10-15-2009, 02:52 PM
If we can stop the run, I think Rivera would be more aggressive. But as it is now, we can't tee off on a QB because it's being neutralized by the running game. Do you know why our cornerbacks have always played off? It's because it allows them a better chance to stop the run as opposed to being in press all the time.

I bought that for a few years but not anymore. We're playing zone in third and long, and that's not to stop the run. The off coverage on 3rd and short/mid is debatable but given how often we've been torched by uncovered receivers I expect this team to adapt. Who knows, maybe the bye week did something.

MidwayMonster31
10-15-2009, 04:00 PM
I bought that for a few years but not anymore. We're playing zone in third and long, and that's not to stop the run. The off coverage on 3rd and short/mid is debatable but given how often we've been torched by uncovered receivers I expect this team to adapt. Who knows, maybe the bye week did something.Maybe the coaching is a factor, since most 3-4 teams blitz somebody on 3rd down, usually a linebacker. The soft zone on 3rd down is one of the few things that irritates me about Lovie Smith's defense. Ron Rivera has been doing the same.
Plus, the D-Line isn't what it used to be. They are allowing a good amount of push by the other teams and are not holding their ground very well against the run or pass.

Basileus777
10-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Wade also had Jamal in his best years and a healthy Merriman on steroids. The supporting cast around them was also much more solid.

You really can't compare the defensive personnel Marty/Wade had with what the Chargers have now.

bigbluedefense
10-16-2009, 02:20 PM
For SD, injuries/lack of depth in the front 7 has caused a terrible pass rush and push in run defense, and that is exposing a back 7 not built to cover very well.

Factor that in with a passive scheme, and an unimpressive secondary, and you have problems.

The main issues are that this defense has relied too heavily on the skills of Merriman and Williams for too long. Now that both are hurt, this defense looks awful.

AJ Smith is a complete arrogant fool if he thinks letting Merriman walk is a good idea. It just shows how full of himself he has become. Merriman is only proving how valuable he is to the team by being hurt the past 2 years. Without him, this defense looks terrible. He made that defense tick, he made every player on that defense look better than they really are. Phillips, Castillo, Cooper, Cro, they're all afterthoughts without Merriman drawing double teams every play.

Now Smith wants to let him go? Go do it dumbass. See how far that gets you. Btw, youve done a pretty crappy job drafting the past couple of years, so maybe you should stop smelling your own farts.

Rosebud
10-16-2009, 02:31 PM
SD desperately needs to bolster both the talent and depth on both of their lines. That would go a long way to making that an elite team again, offensively they just can't move the ball and defensively they get pushed around to much and as you said Merriman isn't there to beast like he used to, at least not yet, and until cro gets his head out of his ass or gets benched for Cason, that secondary just can't make up for it. That said I think if they did bench cro for cason that'd not only make them better, it'd also light that fire under cro to make him start playing up to his abilities, the support isn't there for him to have 10 picks again, but three quality corners would go a long way for them making it work despite their DL.

bigbluedefense
10-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Cro shouldve been benched a long time ago. And you just see no development of young players under Turner. A big part of draft picks panning out for an organization is their development under their coach.

Turner isn't doing a good job developing talent. Not on the defensive side at least. He's done a great job on the offensive side of the ball, i'll give him that.

They need a better DC. They shouldve went after Dom Capers when they had the chance.

Rosebud
10-16-2009, 02:44 PM
Cro shouldve been benched a long time ago. And you just see no development of young players under Turner. A big part of draft picks panning out for an organization is their development under their coach.

Turner isn't doing a good job developing talent. Not on the defensive side at least. He's done a great job on the offensive side of the ball, i'll give him that.

They need a better DC. They shouldve went after Dom Capers when they had the chance.

They need a better coaching staff, I've never considered Norv a good HC and Ron Rivera has always seemed like much more of a motivator than co-ordinator which is problematic with a head-coach who doesn't understand a defense all that well.