PDA

View Full Version : underrated traits that most elite rb's possess

Halsey
10-12-2009, 05:25 PM
High character and intelligence

Everyone knows you want a QB to possess those traits, but most discussions about RB's center around who's the fastest, most powerful, best pass catcher, etc. How many elite RB's are getting in trouble off the field? I don't remember many cases of guys like Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, LT, AP, etc getting into trouble off the field or showing poor work ethic. Those facets should be more discussed when debating RB's entering the Draft. The End.

Gay Ork Wang
10-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Every Position benefits from that. every position does...

tjsunstein
10-12-2009, 06:24 PM
I don't see what you're trying to say. Every elite player should and does posses these attributes.

Are you saying we should ignore speed in favor of a high character guy that lacks physically in comparison?

Shiver
10-12-2009, 10:41 PM
I look to those attributes... but after vision, explosion and power.

D-Unit
10-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Ability to stay healthy... Unlike Felix Jones.

Saints-Tigers
10-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Yes, staying healthy, and stamina are big.

Shiver
10-12-2009, 11:02 PM
The underrated trait that I like is being able to catch passes. Ray Rice has more yards total than Adrian Peterson.

Job
10-12-2009, 11:11 PM
High character and intelligence

Everyone knows you want a QB to possess those traits, but most discussions about RB's center around who's the fastest, most powerful, best pass catcher, etc. How many elite RB's are getting in trouble off the field? I don't remember many cases of guys like Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, LT, AP, etc getting into trouble off the field or showing poor work ethic. Those facets should be more discussed when debating RB's entering the Draft. The End.

Please don't mention Emmitt Smith when talking about above average intelligence.

brat316
10-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Ya know wahts funny, players now play longer and longer and into older age than they have before.

Yet, Rbs have gotten their lifespan shortened. This league might be turning into a pass happy league, but who says the rbs aren't being run into the ground. They have to take more shots blocking, get hit in the open field, go out for more passes, and still run the rock. Even if they are splitting the carries, they touch the ball a lot in one form or another.

Before Qbs played till 30-32 pushing it playing at 33.

Now 32-35 Qbs still can play, and pushing it at 37-40.

WR same boat 30-32, now play till 35 or if your knees give out.

Rbs on the other hand played till 31-33, and were still very capable as Rbs when they got over 30. Now 29-31, and usually dread the age 30, and we rarely see Rbs play till 32.

Just something I been wondering, I'm put some time and find some numbers.

Giantsfan1080
10-12-2009, 11:51 PM
Ahmad Bradshaw had some off the field issues in college. Reese looked past that and we were lucky to land him in the 7th round.

yo123
10-12-2009, 11:59 PM
I don't understand why you're talking specifically about running backs. And plenty of good running backs have had off the field issues, an obvious one is OJ.

Brent
10-13-2009, 12:08 AM
an obvious one is OJ.
not when he was a player.

yo123
10-13-2009, 12:08 AM
not when he was a player.

Fine, Marshawn Lynch or Cedric Benson.

Staubach12
10-13-2009, 12:47 AM
People never tend to talk about vision as much as they should IMHO.

General Zod
10-13-2009, 12:55 AM
Clean teeth. I think RBs should have nice clean teeth.

Sorry, this thread doesnt make much sense to me.

BlindSite
10-13-2009, 01:50 AM
People never tend to talk about vision as much as they should IMHO.

This is a huge one. The difference between a serviceable RB and a dominant running back is their ability to see openings or running lanes that turn stuffed runs into decent gains.

LizardState
10-13-2009, 05:13 AM
Vision is the most underrated trait. You need vision to set your timing to allow the blocking to develop & follow them, to find the cutback lane once the hole cleared, to perform about 90% of the plays really. Everyone criticizes Jacobs' weird Eric Dickersonlike upright running style, but at 6-3 or so he can best utilize his vision before his other attributes like power come into play.

And just when we thought the Every-Down Back who can consistently move the chains on 3rd & 3 or 4 was extinct in the NFL, here comes Cedric Benson .... who'da thunk it?

J52
10-13-2009, 10:21 AM
As a former RB, vision is by far the most overrated attribute in football. I don't know, maybe I just had extraordinary vision, but finding a gap never presented the slightest bit of challenge. It's just plain as day, guard's back is turned this way, seam opened up, hit it, etc.

Also, alot of RBs with "great vision" also have dominant offensive lines who have holes every where. Players who don't get accredited with "great vision" are usually on teams with lesser offensive lines.

PACKmanN
10-13-2009, 10:26 AM
The most underrated trait for a runningback is blance.

BuddyCHRIST
10-13-2009, 11:48 AM
SEC Speedzzz

yourfavestoner
10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
As a former RB, vision is by far the most overrated attribute in football. I don't know, maybe I just had extraordinary vision, but finding a gap never presented the slightest bit of challenge. It's just plain as day, guard's back is turned this way, seam opened up, hit it, etc.

Also, alot of RBs with "great vision" also have dominant offensive lines who have holes every where. Players who don't get accredited with "great vision" are usually on teams with lesser offensive lines.

I don't know what level of football you played RB at, but this is really only true for the high school level. In high school, plays hit exactly where they are designed to hit. Once you get into college, and especially in the NFL, running plays very rarely hit where they are supposed to. Defenses are too good and too fast and make their reads to quickly. That's why NFL runners often see big chunks of their yardage come from cutting back against the grain, often before they even get to the LOS.

D-Unit
10-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Size of their THIGHS. lol. It's true.

bigbluedefense
10-13-2009, 01:29 PM
vision, pass protection, and shifty but strong hips.

awfullyquiet
10-13-2009, 01:34 PM
pass protection

uh definitely this too. rb's who are good in pass protection are a VERY good thing, because one, it shows capability for higher learning, to block on an NFL level requires practice, disregarding a lot of things you did in college, and having an open mind to learning new things...

besides, it opens up opportunity for you. especially if you have good hands.

bigbluedefense
10-13-2009, 01:38 PM
uh definitely this too. rb's who are good in pass protection are a VERY good thing, because one, it shows capability for higher learning, to block on an NFL level requires practice, disregarding a lot of things you did in college, and having an open mind to learning new things...

besides, it opens up opportunity for you. especially if you have good hands.

with the way teams throw today, i think its become a must. his ability as a pass protector is actually more important than his ability to catch. although they go hand in hand most of the time.

if your primary back can't pass protect and you have to sub him out for another rb on pass plays, it really tips your hand and makes it that much harder to confuse defenders.

Halsey
10-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Ok, we're talking all time elite RB's here. Guys like Bradshaw, Lynch and Benson are nowhere near that level.

Durability was brought up. Part of being durable is training hard, knowing how to take care of your body, and having the discipline to do proper rehab when necessary. Hard working, high character, high intelligence RB's know how to take care of their bodies and increase their chances of having long careers.

I don't agree that all positions have the same correlation of elite players having high character and intelligence. I can't think of any RB I think of as elite getting into any trouble during his career. I see guys like Lawrence Taylor and Michael Irvin who got in major legal trouble while playing, but were still elite.

Oh, and Emmitt Smith was a smart football player. He may not be good as a speaker, but he has a good head for competing.

Gay Ork Wang
10-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Ok, we're talking all time elite RB's here. Guys like Bradshaw, Lynch and Benson are nowhere near that level.

Durability was brought up. Part of being durable is training hard, knowing how to take care of your body, and having the discipline to do proper rehab when necessary. Hard working, high character, high intelligence RB's know how to take care of their bodies and increase their chances of having long careers.

I don't agree that all positions have the same correlation of elite players having high character and intelligence. I can't think of any RB I think of as elite getting into any trouble during his career. I see guys like Lawrence Taylor and Michael Irvin who got in major legal trouble while playing, but were still elite.

Oh, and Emmitt Smith was a smart football player. He may not be good as a speaker, but he has a good head for competing.
so you are basically saying if you are smart at playing football you gonna be a good football player?

that is kinda tautological