PDA

View Full Version : NFL Team with the best young talent

Romyrick
10-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I've wanted to ask this question for a long time. Usually I just try to read your guy's posts to see what I can glean from them but I thought maybe I should ask you guys directly. What team has the best young talent in the NFL? What team has drafted well in recent years. Is there any team that you guys think is flying below the radar right but but has the base of talent that will propel them forward in the years to come?

JFLO
10-12-2009, 09:42 PM
My choices would be:

Green Bay Packers - As a Vikings fan, I hate saying this, but I think they are a couple offensive lineman and maybe a defensive stud away from serious super bowl contention. I'm not the biggest Ryan Grant fan, but Green Bay has always been a believer in building through the draft and I think in a couple of years, they could be a SB participant.

Cincinnati Bengals - I'm not sold on the defensive line nor the safeties of the team, but they are building a solid offense and a solid LB crew to play for years to come. Whether or not Esteban is going to be there for 4-5 more years is another question, but if they can pick up a consistent force at DE and possibly a change of pace back to go along with Benson, then they are set for years.

Other teams:

Giants - The team knows how to draft and already have a future in the mold with players like Tuck, Hicks, Steve Smith, Webster and hopefully Kenny Phillips. The Giants are going to be good for a long, long time.

Broncos - Aside from the future dilemma that is Kyle Orton, they seem to be heading in the right direction on all cylinders.

JT Jag
10-12-2009, 09:57 PM
Well, the Jaguars are off to a good start. Five of their 2009 draftees look like long-term fixtures.

That said, it will take a couple drafts of the same calibur for them to deserve a "good young talent" label. Heck, it's fairly likely that by day one of next year, not a single player will remain from our 2008 draft.

niel89
10-14-2009, 07:22 PM
What do you consider young? I only looked at guys from the Ravens who are 27 and under, and who start or contribute frequently. While the Ravens have players getting up there in age (Mason, Birk, Ray, Reed, Gregg, Pryce), they still have a nice core of young players, especially on offense. We really need to add some youth to the D-line.

Offense
QB Joe Flacco-24
T Jared Gaither- 23
G Ben Grubbs- 25
C/G Chris Chester- 26
T Michael Oher-23
G/T Marshal Yanda -25
FB Le'Ron McClain-24
RB Ray Rice-22
WR Mark Clayton -27

Defense
DL Haloti Ngata-25
OLB/DE Terrell Suggs-27
LB Tavares Gooden-25
CB Domonique Foxworth-26
CB Fabian Washington-26
S Dawan Landry-26

superman8456
10-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Everybody is going to naturally say their team is. So I'm gonna go with the Eagles.

You might say McNabb is old, but Kolb showed some flashes his two starts both passing for 300+.

CashmoneyDrew
10-14-2009, 08:08 PM
What's the criteria for being "young"?

7-11
10-14-2009, 08:34 PM
The Jets come to mind straight away. Sanchez, Greene, Washington, Cotchery, Edwards, Keller, Ferguson, Mangold on offense and Revis, Rhodes, Leonhard Gholston and Harris on Defense. All about 27 and under. Not half bad.

Draft King
10-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Well I'll post the Falcons since everyone seems to be using their own teams, Atlanta does have a ton of legit young talent though. I'll go with players age 27 and under.

Offense
QB Matt Ryan - 24
RB Michael Turner - 27
RB Jerious Norwood - 26
WR Roddy White - 27
WR Michael Jenkins - 27
LT Sam Baker - 24
LG Justin Blalock - 25

Defense
DT Peria Jerry - 25
DE Kroy Biermann - 24
MLB Curtis Lofton - 23
CB Chris Houston - 25
S Thomas DeCoud - 24

Also watch out for William Moore and Harry Douglas. Douglas was a big contributer for the offense last season but ended up on the IR before our first pre-season game. Moore has been battling injuries since training camp but once healthy don't be surprised to see him on the field as he is a physical specimen.

Other young teams I like are the Baltimore Ravens and the 49ers.

Big_Pete
10-14-2009, 08:54 PM
If 27 the cut off for this exercise, I think it would be hard to go past the Giants

without going too far into their depth chart, (using guys who have either been NFL starters or have the ability to contibute in the near future)

RB
Ahmad Bradshaw, 23
Brandon Jacobs, 27
Danny Ware, 24

OG
Chris Snee, 27

OT
William Beatty, 24
Guy Whimper. 26

TE
Kevin Boss 26
Travis Beckum, 22

WR
Ramsees Barden, 23
Derek Hagen, 25
Domenik Hixon, 25
Mario Manningham, 23
Sinorice Moss, 25
Hakeem Nicks, 21
Steve Smith, 24

DE
Matthias Kiwanuka, 26
Justin Tuck, 26
Osi Umenyiora, 27

DT
Jay Alford, 26
Chris Canty, 26
Barry Cofield, 25

LB
Chase Blackburn, 26
Michael Boley, 27
Jonathan Goff, 23
Brian Kehl, 25
Clint Sintim, 23
Gerris Wilkinson, 26

CB
Kevin Dockery, 25
Aaron Ross, 27
Terrell Thomas, 24
Corey Webster, 27

S
CC Brown, 26
Michael Johnson, 25
Kenny Phillips, 22
Aaron Rouse, 25

Rosebud
10-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Tried to list every rotation guy and key backup 28 or under.

QB Eli 28
RB Jacobs 27, Ahmad 23, Danny Ware 24 (Between him and 22 year old Andre Brown we've got good depth at RB)
WR Steve Smith 24, Mario Manningham 23, Hakeem Nicks 21, Ramses Barden 23 (I guess he doesn't count yet but I loved him as a prospect and think he's a stud in the making)
TE Kevin Boss 25, Travis Beckum 22
OT William Beatty 24, Guy Whimper 26
OG Chris Snee 27

DE Justin Tuck 26, Osi Umenyiora 27, Matthias Kiwanuka 26
DT Chris Canty 26, Barry Cofield 25, Jay Alford 26
LB Michael Boley 27, Clint Sintim 23, Jonathon Goff 23, Bryan Kehl 25
CB Corey Webster 27, Terrell Thomas 24, Aaron Ross 27, Kevin Dockery 25
S Kenny Phillips 22, Michael Johnson 25

'cuse-213
10-14-2009, 09:15 PM
The Jets come to mind straight away. Sanchez, Greene, Washington, Cotchery, Edwards, Keller, Ferguson, Mangold on offense and Revis, Rhodes, Leonhard Gholston and Harris on Defense. All about 27 and under. Not half bad.

Definitely.

QB- Sanchez
RB- Washington, Greene
WR- Cotchery, Edwards
TE- Keller
OL- Mangold, Ferguson

LB- Harris, Scott, Gholston*
CB- Revis,
S- Rhodes, Leonhard

All these guys SHOULD be starters for many years to come, and at an All Pro level too, in my opinion. Gholston gets a star, because he is not and probably won't be the Pro Bowler we thought we were going to get. Good role player though.

Staubach12
10-14-2009, 11:15 PM
The Dallas Cow...

Damnit.

vikes_28
10-14-2009, 11:23 PM
The Dallas Cow...

Damnit.

hahaha, +rep for you sir.

Bengalsrocket
10-14-2009, 11:23 PM
My choices would be:

Cincinnati Bengals - I'm not sold on the defensive line nor the safeties of the team, but they are building a solid offense and a solid LB crew to play for years to come. Whether or not Esteban is going to be there for 4-5 more years is another question, but if they can pick up a consistent force at DE and possibly a change of pace back to go along with Benson, then they are set for years.

It's possible Antwan Odom could be a consistent force at DE for us. Even if you take out the Green Bay game (because they didn't have their best personnel on the offensive line). He would only have 3 sacks right now, but he gets pressure a lot and helps the defense get sacks by taking double teams.

As far as change of pace back, it's possible Bernard Scott becomes that guy. He's been limited thus far in the year, but seems to do well when he does get the ball. Also, Leonard has been amazing for us so far, both running and catching; it seems like every single yard is so important to him when you see him jumping over guys, diving and sometimes plowing through people.

We'll see though, we're pretty old at RG, TE (well.. Reggie Kelley is old), FB, MLB & SS.

Paul
10-14-2009, 11:28 PM
What do you consider young? I only looked at guys from the Ravens who are 27 and under, and who start or contribute frequently. While the Ravens have players getting up there in age (Mason, Birk, Ray, Reed, Gregg, Pryce), they still have a nice core of young players, especially on offense. We really need to add some youth to the D-line.

Offense
QB Joe Flacco-24
T Jared Gaither- 23
G Ben Grubbs- 25
C/G Chris Chester- 26
T Michael Oher-23
G/T Marshal Yanda -25
FB Le'Ron McClain-24
RB Ray Rice-22
WR Mark Clayton -27

Defense
DL Haloti Ngata-25
OLB/DE Terrell Suggs-27
LB Tavares Gooden-25
CB Domonique Foxworth-26
CB Fabian Washington-26
S Dawan Landry-26

Raven's Oline is so ******* nasty. Is Gooden the guy being groomed to take over the MLB spot when Ray is gone?

10-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Every year it seems that scouts from almost every other team are present in bunches during the Ravens final preseason games. I think this speaks volumes for how young, deep and talented that roster truly is. They would be my pick.

jth1331
10-14-2009, 11:36 PM
Broncos have a ton of key pieces together on offense working for them if they lock em all up. Defense, its a little bit more iffy though.
QB - Kyle Orton
RB - Knowshon Moreno
FB - Peyton Hillis
WR - Brandon Marshall, Eddie Royal, Gaffney, McKinley
TE - Scheffler
OT - Clady and Harris
OG - Kuper and Olsen

10-14-2009, 11:38 PM
This is turning into a homer fest. No surprise there.

MetSox17
10-14-2009, 11:40 PM
I hate seeing everyone post their teams young guys. Who cares if they're young, what we do care about is if they're young AND good. With that said, the Ravens and Jets seem to be far and away the most young and talented teams out there.

tuan33
10-14-2009, 11:48 PM

Offense
QB Joe Flacco-24
T Jared Gaither- 23
G Ben Grubbs- 25
C/G Chris Chester- 26
T Michael Oher-23
G/T Marshal Yanda -25
FB Le'Ron McClain-24
RB Ray Rice-22
WR Mark Clayton -27

Defense
DL Haloti Ngata-25
OLB/DE Terrell Suggs-27
LB Tavares Gooden-25
CB Domonique Foxworth-26
CB Fabian Washington-26
S Dawan Landry-26

Dang, Suggs is only 27. It just feels like he's been around forever.

D-Unit
10-14-2009, 11:50 PM
I've always admired what San Diego did from afar.

7-11
10-14-2009, 11:51 PM
I hate seeing everyone post their teams young guys. Who cares if they're young, what we do care about is if they're young AND good. With that said, the Ravens and Jets seem to be far and away the most young and talented teams out there.

Yeah exactly, i could've come in here going on about the Colts having a young, talented roster just because they are the second youngest team in the league (i think...GB no. 1?). But realistically, although i like the look of the Colts roster for the next few years a hell of a lot, there are teams going around that are far younger in the most important positions.

You can have all the young linebackers, safeties and guards you want but what a team really needs to be looking good into the future is youth and talent at the blue chip positions - quarterback, tackle, pass rusher (be it either stand up or hand in the ground variety) and cornerback.

BlindSite
10-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Giants, Ravens, Falcons, Green bay, Carolina (I'm not a homer, average age is one of the youngest in the NFL) Jets, Cincinnati and to an extent and wholly depending on how certain guys develop Tampa.

If New Orleans, Pittsburgh and Tennessee continue to draft well in the coming years, they'll get more youthful and be right amongst it.

fenikz
10-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Just listing guys under 30 who get significant playing time(or would if they weren't injured)

Cards
Beanie Wells RB 21
Cody Brown OLB 21
Calais Campbell DE 23
Tim Hightower RB 23
Rashad Johnson S 23
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB 23
Alan Branch DE 24
Levi Brown LT 25
Lyle Sendlein C 25
Steve Breaston WR 26
Larry Fitzgerald WR 26
Matt Leinart QB 26
Deuce Lutui RG 26
Antrel Rolle FS 26
Gabe Watson NT 26
Karlos Dansby LB 27
Bryant McFadden CB 27
Stephen Spach TE 27
Darnell Dockett DT 28
Jerheme Urban WR 28
Reggie Wells LG 28
Anquan Boldin WR 29
Gerald Hayes LB 29

Starters in Bold

Geo
10-15-2009, 12:00 AM
26 years old and under is what I would consider young.

7-11
10-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Carolina (I'm not a homer, average age is one of the youngest in the NFL)

I beg to differ. What exactly have you got in the way of young talent? Williams and Stewart i like alot. Otah looks very good at right tackle. Jon Beason, Thomas Davis and Chris Gamble on D are about the only young players that really stand out to me. Can't really comment on Ryan Kalil cause i haven't exactly concentrated on him, is Charles Godfrey playing well?

I really don't think that is even remotely close to being a premier bunch of young players and i haven't even brought up the massive hole you have at quarterback.

Giantsfan1080
10-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Pretty much every major player on the Giants is 30 and under. The only exceptions are LG Rich Seubert, RT Kareem McKenzie, and then Feagles and Tynes.

BlindSite
10-15-2009, 12:16 AM
I beg to differ. What exactly have you got in the way of young talent? Williams and Stewart i like alot. Otah looks very good at right tackle. Jon Beason, Thomas Davis and Chris Gamble on D are about the only young players that really stand out to me. Can't really comment on Ryan Kalil cause i haven't exactly concentrated on him, is Charles Godfrey playing well?

I really don't think that is even remotely close to being a premier bunch of young players and i haven't even brought up the massive hole you have at quarterback.

Offense:

DeAngelo Williams
Jon Stewart
Jeff King / Dante Rosario (neither post eye popping stats, but both have been excellent this year)
Otah is a very good right tackle
Kalil is one of the best centers in the NFC right now, very quietly so, makes no mistakes, makes excellent calls and never gives up sacks or whiffs on blocks. IMO he's a top 5 player on the team.

I'll admit, QB and WR are a little sparse, but there is like with kenny moore and Steve Smith is only just hitting 30 with no real injury history.

Defense:

Charles Johnson: Becoming a force and likely will replace Peppers as a starter next year, he's been excellent this year splitting snaps nearly 50/50 with Brayton
DT is a little bare
Everette Brown: Showing a lot of promise and rapidly improving, instrumental against washington.
Beason already one of the best linebackers in the NFL
Thomas Davis dominant this year and IMO will push for a probowl spot
James Anderson starting in the place of Diggs and playing some really good football behind him is Dan Connor who's still realistically coming back from a knee injury, looks very promising in limited action.
Gamble already a very good CB
Captain Munnerlyn 7th round pick, is already a nickel back in his rookie year beating out higher picks and 2 veterans
Richard Marshall Only in his 3rd or fourth year, very stout at the point of attack, excellent in run support, good cover guy
Godfrey quality FS, roaming, runs, good in support.

Three corners, one safety, two defensive ends, four linebackers all at starting quality.

Two running backs, two tight ends, a tackle a centre and WR coming up and some legitimate depth at guard over the last two years drafting who're already starting to sub Keydrick Vincent.

The skill positions on defense are set, the framework is there on offense. All that's needed realistically for the team to be strong for another 5 years is a guy at wide receiver, a guard or two (who are likely already on the team) and a quarterback.

It's impossible for me to stress just how limiting the QB play has been this year. 21 points through offense turn overs against Philly, 2 scores given to Washington because of turnovers inside the 20 and five consecutive three and outs preceded and followed by INTs against Dallas.

2 Losses and 1 very close win through poor QB play has really hidden just how good the nucleus of this team is. Last year with Delhomme playing well they dismantled a lot of opponents.

I agree QB and DT need fixing, but right now, the team is strong and young everywhere else. Just those two key positions through injury or bad play are letting the team down. Losing 3 DTs before the season always puts a dampner on things.

10-15-2009, 12:20 AM
Blindsite, I'm sorry man but the Panthers have no place in this discussion. It's gotten to the point of blind homerism now lol.

The fact is the team is where they are in small part because of the slow development of a few of those young players you speak of, and to be honest it really isn't an elite bunch anyways. Compare that to the Ravens, Giants, and Jets.

7-11
10-15-2009, 12:22 AM
Offense:

DeAngelo Williams
Jon Stewart
Jeff King / Dante Rosario (neither post eye popping stats, but both have been excellent this year)
Kalil is one of the best centers in the NFC right now, very quietly so, makes no mistakes, makes excellent calls and never gives up sacks or whiffs on blocks. IMO he's a top 5 player on the team.

I'll admit, QB and WR are a little sparse, but there is like with kenny moore and Steve Smith is only just hitting 30 with no real injury history.

Defense:

Charles Johnson: Becoming a force and likely will replace Peppers as a starter next year, he's been excellent this year splitting snaps nearly 50/50 with Brayton
DT is a little bare
Everette Brown: Showing a lot of promise and rapidly improving, instrumental against washington.
James Anderson starting in the place of Diggs and playing some really good football behind him is Dan Connor who's still realistically coming back from a knee injury, looks very promising in limited action.
Captain Munnerlyn 7th round pick, is already a nickel back in his rookie year beating out higher picks and 2 veterans
Richard Marshall Only in his 3rd or fourth year, very stout at the point of attack, excellent in run support, good cover guy

Three corners, one safety, two defensive ends, four linebackers all at starting quality.

Two running backs, two tight ends, a tackle a centre and WR coming up and some legitimate depth at guard over the last two years drafting who're already starting to sub Keydrick Vincent.

The skill positions on defense are set, the framework is there on offense. All that's needed realistically for the team to be strong for another 5 years is a guy at wide receiver, a guard or two (who are likely already on the team) and a quarterback.

It's impossible for me to stress just how limiting the QB play has been this year. 21 points through offense turn overs against Philly, 2 scores given to Washington because of turnovers inside the 20 and five consecutive three and outs preceded and followed by INTs against Dallas.

2 Losses and 1 very close win through poor QB play has really hidden just how good the nucleus of this team is. Last year with Delhomme playing well they dismantled a lot of opponents.

I agree QB and DT need fixing, but right now, the team is strong and young everywhere else. Just those two key positions through injury or bad play are letting the team down. Losing 3 DTs before the season always puts a dampner on things.

Yeah good points, but i still think you might be overrating the overall talent on the roster. And as you said, the qb play is holding them back and can you honestly see how that is going to change in the next few years? I know it's ridiculous predicting that far into the future but a solid team like Carolina is going to struggle to get into a position to acquire a premier qb talent. I kind of liken them to the Pacers in the NBA, solid, edge of the playoffs team, just hard to see them pushing a superbowl berth.

the decider13
10-15-2009, 12:23 AM
I love me some ravens. Between the nasty Oline, sexy arm, Ray Rice and the defense that is always one of the deepest in the league, I have to go with the ravens.

Geo
10-15-2009, 12:27 AM
Took a quick look at the Colts' 26 and unders. They can field a pretty good team, considering.

Offense

QB Curtis Painter
RB Joseph Addai
RB Donald Brown

WR Anthony Gonzalez
WR Austin Collie
WR Pierre Garcon

LT Charlie Johnson
LG Mike Pollak
C Jamey Richard
RG Dan Federkeil
RT Tony Ugoh

Bench - RB Mike Hart, RB Chad Simpson, TE Gijon Robinson, TE Jacob Tamme, G/C Kyle DeVan

Defense

RDE Keyunta Dawson
NT Antoino Johnson
DT Daniel Muir
LDE Eric Foster

WLB Clint Session
MLB Freddy Keiaho
SLB Philip Wheeler

CB Jerraud Powers
SS Melvin Bullitt
FS Antoine Bethea
CB Kelvin Hayden

Bench - DT Fili Moala, LB Ramon Humber, CB Marlin Jackson, CB Jacob Lacey, CB Tim Jennings, CB TJ Rushing, S Jamie Silva, S Aaron Francisco

Special Teams

K/P Pat McAfee
KR/PR TJ Rushing
LS Jacob Tamme?

BlindSite
10-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Blindsite, I'm sorry man but the Panthers have no place in this discussion. It's gotten to the point of blind homerism now lol.

The fact is the team is where they are in small part because of the slow development of a few of those young players you speak of, and to be honest it really isn't an elite bunch anyways. Compare that to the Ravens, Giants, and Jets.

I listed 16 players who've begun or are proving their worth, around the same numbers I count on the Giants, Ravens, Green bay and Arizona teams.

Sure the guys might not supplant the guys on those particular rosters, but they'd start for a hell of a lot of teams in the NFL, especially where the running backs, secondary, linebackers and linemen are concerned.

Oh and the team is solely where it is, because of the QB position. There is no way you can argue against that, the protection has been good, the defense has been very good at times and the only real let downs have come through turnovers and crappy execution in the passing game.

Yeah good points, but i still think you might be overrating the overall talent on the roster. And as you said, the qb play is holding them back and can you honestly see how that is going to change in the next few years? I know it's ridiculous predicting that far into the future but a solid team like Carolina is going to struggle to get into a position to acquire a premier qb talent. I kind of liken them to the Pacers in the NBA, solid, edge of the playoffs team, just hard to see them pushing a superbowl berth.

That's my fear as well. I can see a massive overhaul of the coaching staff and QB position coming, it depends on matt moore and what happens this upcoming off season.

Something has to be done though or the veterans will move on and the young guys won't be happy where they are.

Delhomme is done as far as I'm concerned as a starting QB in the NFL unless he finds a way to massively turn around his game. The only difference between this year (1-3) and last (12-4) is Jake Delhomme's performance.

Rosebud
10-15-2009, 12:36 AM

Well we're one of the best teams in the league and the only part of our team that doesn't qualify as young is the interior oline. Thus I felt like listing our "young" roster. I think it's fair to say that the giants are in the discussion for best young talent.

BlindSite
10-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Well we're one of the best teams in the league and the only part of our team that doesn't qualify as young is the interior oline. Thus I felt like listing our "young" roster. I think it's fair to say that the giants are in the discussion for best young talent.

The Gaints are quite literally the example in the NFL right now of smart franchise building.

Them, the Eagles, the Patriots and the Steelers, perfect examples of how football teams should be run.

10-15-2009, 12:41 AM
The Gaints are quite literally the example in the NFL right now of smart franchise building.

Them, the Eagles, the Patriots and the Steelers, perfect examples of how football teams should be run.

I agree, for the last few years I have looked upon them as the "model" franchise.

Scotty D
10-15-2009, 12:42 AM
Matt Stafford, QB
Kevin Smith, RB
Jerome Felton, FB - He's looked good running the ball
Calvin Johnson, WR
Brandon Pettigrew, TE
Gosder Cherilous, RT

Louis Delmas, FS -
Ernie Sims, WLB - Reason he didn't start was he wasn't 100%
Cliff Avril, DE

Offense has some really nice building blocks, high end talent. Kevin Smith was a third round pick and can be labeled a steal. His case really is the lack of holes and push by the offense line. He has a really bad YAC but I still really like the burst he has and you can tell the offense doesn't function the same when he's not out there. I think once you see Backus replaced and the LG position figured out Kevin Smith will break out.

The defense doesn't really have much young talent. Sammie Lee Hill has won the starting job, not saying much but he beat out other veterans. Last year draft pick Landon Cohen was a force in pre-season, haven't heard his name much since. Jason Hunter has been in a force and been a nice pick up.

Rosebud
10-15-2009, 12:42 AM

I know it's premature to say dynasty until we win another 2 superbowls but I fully believe we will be top SB contenders for the next 5 years at least, and with Reece's ability to own the draft it could be longer.

BlindSite
10-15-2009, 12:49 AM
I know it's premature to say dynasty until we win another 2 superbowls but I fully believe we will be top SB contenders for the next 5 years at least, and with Reece's ability to own the draft it could be longer.

I tend to agree, there's literally no weaknesses on the Giants unit with the maturation of Webster at CB. I'd like to see a top flight play making MLB once pierce is gone but outside of that I don't see any issues at all on the line up.

It's one of the reasons I hate the Giants for one week the last two years. Other than that I love watching them play.

Ever read "the GM (http://www.amazon.com/GM-Inside-Story-Dream-Nightmares/dp/0307394131)" ? Giants fans would love it, it's got a lot of stuff from just before the superbowl year and it's a really interesting read due to the strategy and inner workings involved, especially since the rewards were reaped just a year after it is set. One of my favourite NFL books.

Rosebud
10-15-2009, 12:52 AM
I don't like NFL books very much. Then again I haven't been reading much outside the realms of economics, politics and warfare for a while so it might be something to think about for mixing things up.

BlindSite
10-15-2009, 12:54 AM
I don't like NFL books very much. Then again I haven't been reading much outside the realms of economics, politics and warfare for a while so it might be something to think about for mixing things up.

Honestly, it's money you will not regret spending. I read it in a weekend, started reading and could not put it down. Strahan's book is kind of cool, even though it's not exactly in depth.

My library is the same, almost all politics, war, very weighty in depth tomes, light NFL books are a good read for the most part, but the GM changed the way I look at football teams and made me a big time Giants fan after my first love.

RaiderNation
10-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Raiders are pretty young but we suck so we dont count

Rosebud
10-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Honestly, it's money you will not regret spending. I read it in a weekend, started reading and could not put it down. Strahan's book is kind of cool, even though it's not exactly in depth.

My library is the same, almost all politics, war, very weighty in depth tomes, light NFL books are a good read for the most part, but the GM changed the way I look at football teams and made me a big time Giants fan after my first love.

When I read for entertainment I read sci-fi or fantasy books, favorite pure entertainment books for me were the Chronicles of Amber series, Snow Crash and the Wild Cards series (although I only read the first 6 books of it).

I'll give it a shot at some point but there's too much I still need to watch before I can get to reading something just for entertainment.

Shiver
10-15-2009, 01:21 AM
I am going to beyond the simple 'my team is great, here's why...' and talk a little bit about a few teams I am really impressed with:

Top-3 Young O-Lines

Baltimore

LT - Jared Gaither (23)
LG - Ben Grubbs (25)
OC - Matt Birk (33)
RG - Chris Chester (26)
RT - Michael Oher (23)

This group is scary good. They are prototypical of what you would want in an O-Line, young, nasty, big time talent with a veteran Center to make the line calls. The team has invested a lot in the draft and that results have been an offense that is one dominant WR away from an elite offense. What is crazy is Gaither gets hurt and they put in Marshal Yanda and don't skip a beat.

Denver

LT - Ryan Clady (23)
LG - Ben Hamilton (32)
OC - Casey Wiegmann (36)
RG - Chris Kuper (26)
RT - Ryan Harris (24)

Now they are not uniformly young, but there is no team who has a better pair of bookend tackles that I would rather have than this team. Clady has become one of, if not the, premier LT in the NFL already. If I'm not mistaken, he hasn't allowed a sack yet. These guys paved the way for Jay Cutler's 4,000+ yard passing attack and are now allowing Kyle Orton to produce exceptional numbers.

Atlanta (homer, but accurate)

LT - Sam Baker (24)
LG - Justin Blalock (25)
OC - Todd McClure (32)
RG - Harvey Dahl (28)
RT - Tyson Clabo (27)

The guys that no one talks about; after all, it is so much easier to focus on Ryan, White, Gonzalez and Turner. But the results speak for themselves: Matt Ryan has only been sacked 19 times in twenty games, Michael Turner has been allowed to get a head of steam and reach the second level often. The scary thing is Baker and Blalock are only getting better. I remember a lot of people were down on Baker, but I tell you that he has been exceptional at LT.

Cicero
10-15-2009, 01:56 AM
I've gotta give it to the Giants. Jerry Reese is just too good.

gsorace
10-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Gholston gets a star, because he is not and probably won't be the Pro Bowler we thought we were going to get. Good role player though.

He has 12 CAREER solo tackles most of which have come on special teams. He can't even get on the field in garbage time.

Exactly what "role" is he "playing"?

Giantsfan1080
10-15-2009, 09:39 AM

Not to get off the topic but that sounds exactly like my bookshelf as well. I have read the GM and I did find it to be very good in terms of showing how Accorsi put some of the team together. It was a little repetitive but all in all a book I would recommen especially to a Giants fan.

wicket
10-15-2009, 10:01 AM
saints are pretty young (well not on average but thats slanted due to a few really old guys)
The best parts of our OLine are young (Brown, Evans, Nicks)
All our running backs are 26 tops
All our good receivers(Moore, Colston Maechem) are 26 tops
Our Dline is normal (Clancy and Grant are 31 but easily replaceable, Will Smith is 28 the rest is younger)
Linebackers are a bit old but bad anyways
DB's are very young with the exception of sharper.

I think 15 of the 22 starters(Goodwin, Stinch, Shanle, Clancy,Grant,Fujita and Sharper are bound to be gone by then) could be around in four years if the staff wants.

awfullyquiet
10-15-2009, 10:32 AM
26 years old and under is what I would consider young.

i.e. still on their first contract.

coordinator0
10-15-2009, 10:42 AM

Offense
QB Joe Flacco-24
T Jared Gaither- 23
G Ben Grubbs- 25
C/G Chris Chester- 26
T Michael Oher-23
G/T Marshal Yanda -25
FB Le'Ron McClain-24
RB Ray Rice-22
WR Mark Clayton -27

Defense
DL Haloti Ngata-25
OLB/DE Terrell Suggs-27
LB Tavares Gooden-25
CB Domonique Foxworth-26
CB Fabian Washington-26
S Dawan Landry-26

Clayton is lacking in the talent department. I like that our O-line is really young though.

coordinator0
10-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Dang, Suggs is only 27. It just feels like he's been around forever.

He came into the league when he was 20, so he has been around a while. I'm not sure I would put him as one of our young talents anymore, he's like in the middle of old and young :D.

wonderbredd24
10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Since most of our youth is unproven, I'll just mention this

Joe Thomas, 24
Eric Wright, 24

That's right, the best tackle and one of the best up and coming corners are only 24.

LonghornsLegend
10-15-2009, 11:26 AM
Offense:

DeAngelo Williams
Jon Stewart

Defense:

DT is a little bare

You guys have a FEW good young players, but when you start listing guys like Jeff King and Dante Rosario, then you always act surprised when someone calls you a homer. Neither the Panthers, nor those 2 TE's deserve to be in this conversation. I could give you a pass on a few of the guys you listed who have really shown minimal at this point because their rookies so a few good plays after 5 games hardly means anything, but you lost credibility for the post when you listed the TE's as if there anything special at all.

Then again these threads always turn into homer threads. I love the Ravens probably the most, had they been able to keep Jason Brown at C that O-line would be sick, Oher has arguably been the top rookie and Gaither is arguably the top LT right now in the league, and they still have plenty of youth on defense.

I still like the Jets, Giants, and Eagles though, because they have some young players at key positions that are actually specially talents, not just run of the mill players who are below 26.

NY+Giants=NYG
10-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Didn't someone before the season post the youngest and oldest teams in the NFL. Just find that thread, look from the youngest team on up, and see if they are good. I am sure then, you will find, which team is has the best talent for their young age.

CC.SD
10-15-2009, 12:23 PM
You guys have a FEW good young players, but when you start listing guys like Jeff King and Dante Rosario, then you always act surprised when someone calls you a homer. Neither the Panthers, nor those 2 TE's deserve to be in this conversation. I could give you a pass on a few of the guys you listed who have really shown minimal at this point because their rookies so a few good plays after 5 games hardly means anything, but you lost credibility for the post when you listed the TE's as if there anything special at all.

I think Dante Rosario is pretty good.

As for best young talent...Eagles come to mind, it always seems like they are pulling some playmakers out of a hat. #1 should probably be the Ravens though. The D, that O-line, hitting on a QB, it keeps going.

TitleTown088
10-15-2009, 12:50 PM
How has Curry looked for the seahawks? I haven't had a chance to see him play.

LizardState
10-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Raiders are pretty young but we suck so we dont count

They have had a couple of excellent drafts in the recent past & have some excellent younger players ..... pretty much one-sided though, all on defense. Their offense is not even a work in progress, it's an unmitigated disaster under new HC after new HC.

Asomugha from Cal & my vote for Unsung Raider Hero, Kirk Morrison the MLB, both local players came in the same draft. It indicates just how hard the times are for the Raiders that their twice-FPed player Asomugha is rumored to be trade bait. Morrison gets no headlines or fanbase love but he's steady, dependable. And he doesn't cause trouble in the least stable, most mutiny-prone locker room in the league. I think Morrison was a mid-rd. steal, he's an Oakland native happy to be playing in his hometown. Michael Huff has enormous upside as a phenom athlete & who was moved to safety but hasnt fulfilled any expectations yet.

KC is a very young team that did an almost complete reload under the Herminator, who said he wanted "8 new starters here" last yr, came close with like 7 of them. As for a good young team, uhh, no. Watching them vs Dallas last Sunday I saw that Bowe is a budding superstar & they have very good (but not great) team speed. They got rid of Herm & the regime of King Carl Peterson at the top, definitely the right direction to go. Keep an eye on KC after the next draft, they will almost certainly be drafting in the top 5-6 & if they could get a couple more more impact rookies who can start as rookies, watch out.

bearsfan_51
10-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Hmm....young pups on the Bears worth mentioning:

QB- Jay Cutler- 26
RB- Matt Forte-23
WR- Devin Hester- 26
WR- Earl Bennett- 22
WR- Johnny Knox- 22
TE- Greg Olson-24
TE- Kellen Davis- 23
OT- Chris Williams- 24
G- Frank Omiyale- 26
C- Josh Beekman- 26

DE- Mark Anderson- 26
DT- Tommie Harris- 26
DT- Marcus Harrison- 24
CB- Zack Bowman- 24
S- Danieal Manning- 26
S- Al Afalava- 22

Lance Briggs and Charles Tillman are both 28. This is about what I expected. Pretty solid overall.

regoob2
10-15-2009, 02:20 PM
How has Curry looked for the seahawks? I haven't had a chance to see him play.
He played ok in the Bears game. Nothing special.

tjsunstein
10-15-2009, 02:20 PM
Really didn't want to but thought I had to throw this out there. I used 26 and under for the criteria. Do you realize how young of a team this is?

Green Bay Packers:
QB -Aaron Rodgers
RB - Ryan Grant
WR - Greg Jennings
WR -James Jones
WR - Jordy Nelson
TE - Jermichael Finley

DL - BJ Raji
DL - Johnny Jolly
LB - AJ Hawk
LB - Clay Matthews
CB - Tramon Williams
S - Nick Collins

Could use some young promising offensive lineman.

bearsfan_51
10-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Could use some young promising offensive lineman.
Considering the Packers probably have the worst o-line in the NFL, I'd say so.

tjsunstein
10-15-2009, 02:28 PM
Considering the Packers probably have the worst o-line in the NFL, I'd say so.

You saw an offensive line that had players out of position the last 4 weeks. Clifton should be back, one of the more consistent left tackles in the game, and Tauscher was brought back to push, if not take, Barbre's "job." We were one of the worst offensive lines in the first quarter but I'd be surprised if we're in the bottom half from this point forward.

HawkeyeFan
10-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Rams young players
RB Steven Jackson
TE Daniel Fells
LT Alex Barron
G Richie Incogntio
C Jason Brown
RT Jason Smith
WR Donnie Avery, Keenan Burton, Laurant Robinson
DE Chris Long
DT Clifton Ryan, LaJuan Ramsey, Leger Douzeable, Darrell Scott
LB James Laurinatis
CB Ron Bartell, Jonathan Wade, Bradley Fletcher
S James Butler, OJ Atogwe

:(

falloutboy14
10-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Didn't someone before the season post the youngest and oldest teams in the NFL. Just find that thread, look from the youngest team on up, and see if they are good. I am sure then, you will find, which team is has the best talent for their young age.

IIRC, the youngest team was the was the Packers, the 2nd youngest was the Colts.

As a Colts fan I thought about the team, and really the players that make the team run (Peyton, Reggie, Clark, Freeney, Mathis, & Saturday are the first 6 I'd choose) have an age range of 28-34.

That said, there is some young talent.
Offense
(22) Donald Brown RB
(23) Austin Collie WR
(23) Pierre Garcon WR
(25) Charlie Johnson LT
(26) Joseph Addai RB

Every Colts fan held their breath when Johnson was starting over Tony Ugoh, but after watching Tony sub-in for Charlie, the difference is dramatic. Maybe I'm a homer but I'd put him in the 10-15 range of LTs in the league. Collie is leading rookies with receptions & TDs. The RBs have talent, but the O-line can't run-block to save their life.

Defense
(22) Jacob Lacy CB
(22) Jerod Powers CB
(24) Melvin Bullit SS
(25) Antoine Bethea FS
(25) Clint Session LB

I know that our secondary benefits immensely from the pass-rush, & without Freeney & Mathis, we'd get exposed like the Titans have. That said, when a undrafted rookie free agent lines up across from Larry Fitzgerald, and manages, he deserves to be mentioned in this thread.

2 Live Crew
10-15-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm not really a fan of theirs but...Ravens get my vote

Jughead10
10-15-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm not really a fan of theirs but...Ravens get my vote

Problem with the Ravens is they are getting younger and more talented on offense, but older on defense. And the younger guys they're brining into the secondary, aren't any good. And Ed Reed's body is older than his age would say. He might retire in a year or two.

Scotty D
10-15-2009, 04:14 PM
Problem with the Ravens is they are getting younger and more talented on offense, but older on defense. And the younger guys they're brining into the secondary, aren't any good. And Ed Reed's body is older than his age would say. He might retire in a year or two.

I like their D as long as they still have Haloti Ngata. Newsome has a solid track record as well.

Jughead10
10-15-2009, 04:18 PM
I like their D as long as they still have Haloti Ngata. Newsome has a solid track record as well.

We'll see. I didn't have them in the playoffs this year because I thought we wouldn't see your typical Ravens defense. And I don't think we have. But I didn't account for their offense playing so well. They're getting old along the front minus Ngata who is a stud. And I could be wrong but it seems they're not as high on some of their younger linebackers as maybe they once were. Barnes hasn't impressed too much.

And their secondary is pretty bad right now. And they're arent any young promising guys down the depth chart.

Scotty D
10-15-2009, 04:31 PM
We'll see. I didn't have them in the playoffs this year because I thought we wouldn't see your typical Ravens defense. And I don't think we have. But I didn't account for their offense playing so well. They're getting old along the front minus Ngata who is a stud. And I could be wrong but it seems they're not as high on some of their younger linebackers as maybe they once were. Barnes hasn't impressed too much.

And their secondary is pretty bad right now. And they're arent any young promising guys down the depth chart.

Gooden was getting really hyped up to. Yeah, I agree. Paul Kruger intrigues me, just from what I saw of him pre-season.

Jughead10
10-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Gooden was getting really hyped up to. Yeah, I agree. Paul Kruger intrigues me, just from what I saw of him pre-season.

I know he wasn't active the first few games. Dunno about the last two. Apparently Kruger can't play special teams so he's been not dressing.

Boston
10-15-2009, 05:24 PM
Kinda funny, I thought this thread was a league wide thing, not team wide...

BlindSite
10-15-2009, 08:16 PM

Dante Rosario is an excellent receiver and very good perimeter blocker, he's often split wide and in the slot, more of an H-back type receiver. Together the pair of them have nearly around 200 yards receiving and 3 TDs (pretty much all of Delhomme's TDs) and Rosario has a receiving average of 15 yards per catch, 100% of them for first downs.

In other words, when you need a first down conversion or you're in the redzone either one of these guys are money.

Just because they're not individual stars doesn't mean they're not good players. Jeff Davidson comes from the Belichick school of tight ends, hell he was the NE TE coach for a bunch of years, he uses them in tandem as blockers or receivers and the two of them were pivotal last year and have been one of the only bright spots of the offense this year.

Right now there's only three or four guys in the NFL who'd be a better fit for the offense.

They don't get headlines, they don't have earth shattering stats, but they're the best play makers right now on offense.

Just because you don't know how the offense is run in carolina, or just how good they've been playing doesn't mean they suck or I'm a homer, it means you're mis-informed.

Besides which, I had carolina listed with a bunch of other teams coming together three or four in tota.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35250

the decider13
10-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Since most of our youth is unproven, I'll just mention this

Joe Thomas, 24
Eric Wright, 24

That's right, the best tackle and one of the best up and coming corners are only 24.

Except for Clady right?

Ravens1991
10-15-2009, 08:40 PM

The secondary is horrible because our pass rush gives QBs enough time to jerk it in the pocket. We are trying to be a traditional 4-3 D w/ a front 7 built perfectly for a 3-4 attacking defense.

7-11
10-15-2009, 08:51 PM

That doesn't really work but, the Colts may the second youngest team in the NFL but most of their key players are around that 30 mark.

BlindSite
10-15-2009, 10:06 PM
That doesn't really work but, the Colts may the second youngest team in the NFL but most of their key players are around that 30 mark.

Look at the eagles as well though, linebackers, receivers, linemen all young and a good chance after what Kolb showed earlier in the year that even though he's not the youngest heir to the throne they'll be ok at QB even after McNabb leaves for at least a few seasons.

tjsunstein
10-15-2009, 11:41 PM
Kinda funny, I thought this thread was a league wide thing, not team wide...

It balances out when everyone posts their own team...

D4rk 0ne
10-16-2009, 05:48 AM
Just for what it's worth, here's a look at the Niners' youth (26 and younger):

Offense
RB: Frank Gore [26], Glen Coffee [22]
WR: Josh Morgan [24], Michael Crabtree [22], Jason Hill [24]
TE: Vernon Davis [25], Delanie Walker [25]
OL: Joe Staley [25], Chilo Rachal [23]

Defense
DL: Ray McDonald [25], Kentwan Balmer [23]
LB: Patrick Willis [24], Manny Lawson [25], Parys Haralson [25], Ahmad Brooks [25], Scott McKillop [23]
CB: Tarell Brown [24]
S: Dashon Goldson [25], Reggie Smith [23]

There were also quite a few starters in the 27-29 range... I emboldened the current starters. Anyone else is included because they are either currently role players, or project to start very soon. Nate Davis is a wildcard; if his development goes well I think he has the tools to be the Niners' starting QB in a year or two. I left him off the list though. A few other young guys who I left off because their future with us is unclear (i.e. they may never be major contributors):

- Michael Robinson
- Ricky Jean Francois
- Curtis Taylor
- Alex Smith
- Michael Spurlock
- Cody Wallace

Summary: On offense, Lots of young talent at the skill positions, but questions on the OL and at QB... On defense, the Niners seem set at linebacker for a long time with FIVE capable players. A few intriguing young players in the secondary but not enough to feel truly secure there. And definite room for improvement on the line.

NOTE: Just for fun, here is a list of 27-29 year old starters on the Niners:
- QB Shaun Hill, WR Brandon Jones, OL Adam Snyder, OL David Baas, OL Eric Heitmann, WR Arnaz Battle

- DL Isaac Sopoaga, DL Aubrayo Franklin, DB Shawntae Spencer, DB Nate Clements, DB Michael Lewis

- P Andy Lee

Put it all together and you have merely two offensive starters in their 30s (Moran Norris and Isaac Bruce), and really I think they will be replaced fairly easily when the time comes. On defense, you have two more starters in their 30s (Justin Smith, Takeo Spikes) as well as nickelback Dre Bly. On Special Teams, K Joe Nedney is pretty old but going strong. Of those guys, Norris, Spikes, and Smith all still have a fair bit in the tank. Smith in particular is a guy I could see sticking around for 3-5 more years before he starts to produce noticeably less. Spikes, Bly, and Bruce probably won't be with SF for much longer -- I'd be surprised to see any of them around two years from today -- but I think all three will be replaced without a big dip in production.

Overall I wouldn't say SF is one of the bright young teams in the league, but they're quietly building a very sturdy foundation... If they have a good draft this year (especially if they pick up some serious help in the trenches) they will have a very solid foundation for years to come.

Raider_fan_Canada
10-16-2009, 11:06 PM
People are going to laugh, but the Raiders have some very good young talent. Maybe not the best, but they do have some.

If you dont believe me just do your own research, but most teams in the NFL would love to have these guys on their roster. As starters, situational players or projects they would wish to groom.

TE Zach Miller
LT Mario Henderson
WR Chaz Schilens
RB Michael Bush
LG Robert Gallery
WLB Thomas Howard
SS Tyvon Branch
CB Nnamdi Asomugha
SS Mike Mitchell
DE Trevor Scott
WR Louis Murphy

Also good as good wine bottles are punter Shane Lechler and kicker Sebastian Janikowski. Richard Seymour and Greg Ellis are really fine players too.

Why do the Raiders suck? That list should be much longer if not for bad management decisions like D Hall, J Walker, etc. and track star and good-looking-out-the-bus drafting by Al Davis. Oh and you also have an epic bust so-called franchise QB taken #1 overall that doesnt care and who the other 52 guys have flat out quit on since week 3. Hey if the QB doesnt care why should I hugh!? So basicaly ownership, management (same person) and QB taking the team down with them IMHO. Tom Cable is a mediocre play caller but his staff would be just fine with say a Matt Ryan and freedom of scheme and personnel use.

regoob2
10-16-2009, 11:29 PM
Heyward Bey?

Raider_fan_Canada
10-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Heyward Bey?

Hard to evaluate. Doing very bad statisticly but gets open here and there. Jamarcus just cant hit him. Also runs the wrong route or runs it the wrong way, not very good natural hands. Nothing exciting so far but not a bust yet. Certainly not an example of good young Raiders talent so far though. I knew people would not tend to agree but Im not writing a pile of BS. Those players on that list are legit IMHO.

yo123
10-17-2009, 11:48 PM
So what I've learned today is that every team in the NFL has the best young talent in the league.

RaiderNation
10-17-2009, 11:53 PM
The Raiders are young, but the talent part just isnt there right now

SenorGato
10-18-2009, 12:01 AM
I'm going Giants on this one. Easily...two book ends...a solid 4 man DT rotation (when healthy)...a QB...good RBs...high end O-line...young WRs...good TE in Boss...DB depth building...

I also really like the Eagles setup if Bradley were healthy, and then the Vikings come.

Actually I'll go...Giants, Vikings, Eagles, Ravens, Bengals/Colts.

The thing with all of those organizations is that they stuck with the same coaches while stockpiling talent. Talent will always win out over coaching assuming both teams are well coached.

DeCrunkMAn
10-18-2009, 06:24 PM

Offense
QB Joe Flacco-24
T Jared Gaither- 23
G Ben Grubbs- 25
C/G Chris Chester- 26
T Michael Oher-23
G/T Marshal Yanda -25
FB Le'Ron McClain-24
RB Ray Rice-22
WR Mark Clayton -27

Defense
DL Haloti Ngata-25
OLB/DE Terrell Suggs-27
LB Tavares Gooden-25
CB Domonique Foxworth-26
CB Fabian Washington-26
S Dawan Landry-26

I was going to say them! Jared Gaither is for sure the future of Bmore.

Paul
10-18-2009, 06:37 PM
So what I've learned today is that every team in the NFL has the best young talent in the league.

Strange how it always ends up that way. Some of these teams have no place in the conversation.

tjsunstein
10-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Jermichael Finley is going to be very special in this offense. With Aaron Rodgers, Greg Jennings, James Jones, and Jermichael Finley; we have a pretty stong nucleus. Need to grab an offensive line somewhere down the line.

JT Jag
10-18-2009, 07:52 PM
The Jaguars have a pretty promising young offensive nucleus, with the bookend tackles, Maurice Drew and Mike Walker. Despite essentially missing two games, Walker on pace for 1,300+ yards and 10+ touchdowns. At 24, he's already the best WR Jacksonville has seen since Jimmy Smith. Not to mention Mike Thomas, who contributes in a big way seemingly every week even if his box score isn't mind-blowing.

We still need to find our long-term franchise quarterback and we need more youth in the interior of the offensive line. And sans rookies Terrance Knighton and Derek Cox, who have played at DROY-calibur levels all year, the entire defense needs to be overhauled.

... It's a start.