PDA

View Full Version : Week 5 Power Rankings

diabsoule
10-13-2009, 02:51 AM
Week 5 Power Rankings

1. New York Giants – Steamrolled the hapless Raiders. Eli had a much needed short work day and needs the rest when the G-men travel the SuperDome to play the Saints next week.

2. Indianapolis Colts – Peyton Manning is playing some of the best football of his career and is making studs out of young receivers Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon.

3. New Orleans Saints – Big showdown looms next Sunday but the good news is that RB Mike Bell, who rushed for over two hundred yards in two games, is healthy.

4. Minnesota Vikings – Easy win over the inept Rams sets up a huge inter-conference game next week when the Baltimore Ravens come to the Metrodome.

5. Atlanta Falcons – Roddy White had his 2009 coming out party at the expense of the 49ers defense.

6. Denver Broncos – Their overtime victory against the Patriots turned them from pretenders to contenders. Not many people are questioning Josh McDaniels now.

7. Philadelphia Eagles – McNabb looked sharp in his return but lack of a rushing attack against a weak Tampa Bay defense is a concern.

8. Cincinnati Bengals – Emotional win for DC Mike Zimmer suddenly puts the Benglas at 3-0 in the AFC North. Don't look now but the Bengals are becoming legitimate contenders.

9. New England Patriots – The cracks in the dynasty are beginning to show. The game in Denver was one that Tom Brady and Co. would have won before his surgery.

10. Chicago Bears – You know the Bears paid close attention to the Atlanta/San Francisco game. A Sunday night game at the Georgia Dome is next for the Bears.

11. Pittsburgh Steelers – A win is a win no matter how ugly it is but the Steelers kept the Lions hanging around way too long.

12. Baltimore Ravens – Allowing Cedric Benson to rush for over 100 yards isn't a good sign for the Ravens defense since they go to the Metro Dome and face Adrian Peterson and the Vikings next week.

13. NY Jets – They couldn't shut down a quarterback in Chad Henne in his second start.

14. San Diego Chargers – Maybe they found their running game during the bye week. The Broncos and their suffocating defense are coming to town next Sunday.

15. San Francisco 49ers – The 49ers reverted to their former selves against the Falcons. Frank Gore can't come back quick enough.

16. Seattle Seahawks – What a difference Matt Hasselbeck makes! Seahawks fans can only hope that the team stays in this form for the rest of the year.

17. Green Bay Packers – Mike McCarthy and his staff on offense should have spent the bye week teaching the offensive line how to block.

18. Miami Dolphins – Chad Henne continues to develop into the QB that the Dolphins have needed since Marino retired.

19. Arizona Cardinals – The Cardinals barely escaped against the Texans. A crucial NFC West match up is next when they go to Seattle.

20. Houston Texans – It took them an entire half before they found their offense yet they still came a yard away from forcing overtime.

21. Dallas Cowboys – Miles Austin had a career day for himself and the Cowboys but it still took an extra quarter for Dallas to put away the Chiefs.

22. Jacksonville Jaguars – A true enigma on the field, however, that performance against Seattle probably sealed Jack Del Rio's fate.

23. Detroit Lions – The Lions achieved a morale victory by hanging around with the Steelers until late. Daunte Culpepper looked good in a spot start for the injured Matthew Stafford.

24. Carolina Panthers – Lucky call and all the Panthers are the third team this season to get their first win over Washington.

25. Washington Redskins – They somehow manage to grab defeat out of the jaws of victory. The bye week is two weeks away, which might be how much longer Jim Zorn is head coach.

26. Kansas City Chiefs – A narrow loss to the Cowboys, however, they should get their first win of the season next week against Washington if history is any indication.

27. Cleveland Browns – The stat line for Derek Anderson is staggering. 2/17 for 23 yards. This was the same QB that made the Pro Bowl two years ago.

28. Tennessee Titans – The good news is that the Vince Young era will resume next week. The bad news is that it resumes at New England.

29. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Byron Leftwich, Josh Johnson, there is no one that can make this offense looks any better than it has been.

30. Buffalo Bills – It looks like offensive coordinator Turk Schonert wasn't the problem after all.

31. Oakland Raiders – The Raiders have managed just 16 points in their last three games. The Bills have scored 20 and the Rams have scored 27.

32. St. Louis Rams – Rams assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Richard Curl was named NFL Europe's Coach of the Year in 1998 and 1999, the only coach in NFL Europe history to win the honor in consecutive seasons . Your 2009 St. Louis Rams!

LizardState
10-13-2009, 05:40 AM
Oakland Raiders The Raiders have managed just 16 points in their last three games. The Bills have scored 20 and the Rams have scored 27.

Circling the drain? And it's not even November. There are no signs of life in their offense, the cardiac meter is registering flatline.

Dallas Cowboys Miles Austin had a career day for himself and the Cowboys but it still took an extra quarter for Dallas to put away the Chiefs.

That's how formerly overachiever teams become mediocre, & it's showing more clearly with each game.

Baltimore Ravens Allowing Cedric Benson to rush for over 100 yards isn't a good sign for the Ravens defense since they go to the Metro Dome and face Adrian Peterson and the Vikings next week. Once great defense is showing its age.

Pittsburgh Steelers A win is a win no matter how ugly it is but the Steelers kept the Lions hanging around way too long. Maybe they're gambling on their signature post-Thxgvg. bump & peaking at playoff time, but that time's a'wastin, tick tock....

Tennessee Titans The good news is that the Vince Young era will resume next week. The bad news is that it resumes at New England. Somebody has to say it: Miss Haynesworth much?

San Francisco 49ers The 49ers reverted to their former selves against the Falcons. Frank Gore can't come back quick enough. Got their reality check & wakeup call, maybe they were believing their press clippings.

abaddon41_80
10-13-2009, 06:24 AM
I don't get the former selves comment, however. The 49ers have not played that bad since circa 2005.

no bare feet
10-13-2009, 08:53 AM
I wonder if I should start a Peyton Manning v. Tom Brady debate.

General Zod
10-13-2009, 09:48 AM
Not bad overall. Id bump up Baltimore a couple spots.

diabsoule
10-13-2009, 11:55 AM
Not bad overall. Id bump up Baltimore a couple spots.

After back-to-back losses to the Bengals and Patriots? Having them at 12 is a good spot.

P-L
10-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Power rankings look pretty good, I think. I would have Baltimore ahead of Pittsburgh. I also think the Jets are too high. They aren't as good as their record indicates and I think the way they've played the last three weeks has shown that. But good job overall.

Bengalsrocket
10-14-2009, 04:08 PM
I don't get the former selves comment, however. The 49ers have not played that bad since circa 2005.

the 49ers were (are? at least until they prove otherwise this season) perennial losers. you just got dominated by the Falcons... do you really not get it??

CC.SD
10-14-2009, 04:12 PM
I like that the Chargers are about halfway down because they are literally half a football team.

Gay Ork Wang
10-14-2009, 05:35 PM
The Steelers lost Aaron Smith for the season. This will drop them imo

Splat
10-14-2009, 06:09 PM
"We're not the worst" Woo.

Brodeur
10-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Your 2009 St. Louis Rams!

So nice to see you Bill Simmons.

The rankings on the whole are good, although I disagree with the fact that Culpepper played well but that's a minor gripe. Well that and I think Miami should be maybe a spot or two higher.

diabsoule
10-14-2009, 08:10 PM
The Steelers lost Aaron Smith for the season. This will drop them imo

More than likely yes, but it all depends on how well their defense plays down the stretch. They still shouldn't struggle with Cleveland next week.

diabsoule
10-14-2009, 08:10 PM
So nice to see you Bill Simmons.

The rankings on the whole are good, although I disagree with the fact that Culpepper played well but that's a minor gripe. Well that and I think Miami should be maybe a spot or two higher.

I couldn't help myself after finding out that fact about their assistant head coach.

JRTPlaya21
10-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Week 5 Power Rankings

1. New York Giants Steamrolled the hapless Raiders. Eli had a much needed short work day and needs the rest when the G-men travel the SuperDome to play the Saints next week.

2. Indianapolis Colts Peyton Manning is playing some of the best football of his career and is making studs out of young receivers Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon.

3. New Orleans Saints Big showdown looms next Sunday but the good news is that RB Mike Bell, who rushed for over two hundred yards in two games, is healthy.

4. Minnesota Vikings Easy win over the inept Rams sets up a huge inter-conference game next week when the Baltimore Ravens come to the Metrodome.

5. Atlanta Falcons Roddy White had his 2009 coming out party at the expense of the 49ers defense.

6. Denver Broncos Their overtime victory against the Patriots turned them from pretenders to contenders. Not many people are questioning Josh McDaniels now.

7. Philadelphia Eagles McNabb looked sharp in his return but lack of a rushing attack against a weak Tampa Bay defense is a concern.

8. Cincinnati Bengals Emotional win for DC Mike Zimmer suddenly puts the Benglas at 3-0 in the AFC North. Don't look now but the Bengals are becoming legitimate contenders.

9. New England Patriots The cracks in the dynasty are beginning to show. The game in Denver was one that Tom Brady and Co. would have won before his surgery.

10. Chicago Bears You know the Bears paid close attention to the Atlanta/San Francisco game. A Sunday night game at the Georgia Dome is next for the Bears.

11. Pittsburgh Steelers A win is a win no matter how ugly it is but the Steelers kept the Lions hanging around way too long.

12. Baltimore Ravens Allowing Cedric Benson to rush for over 100 yards isn't a good sign for the Ravens defense since they go to the Metro Dome and face Adrian Peterson and the Vikings next week.

13. NY Jets They couldn't shut down a quarterback in Chad Henne in his second start.

14. San Diego Chargers Maybe they found their running game during the bye week. The Broncos and their suffocating defense are coming to town next Sunday.

15. San Francisco 49ers The 49ers reverted to their former selves against the Falcons. Frank Gore can't come back quick enough.

16. Seattle Seahawks What a difference Matt Hasselbeck makes! Seahawks fans can only hope that the team stays in this form for the rest of the year.

17. Green Bay Packers Mike McCarthy and his staff on offense should have spent the bye week teaching the offensive line how to block.

18. Miami Dolphins Chad Henne continues to develop into the QB that the Dolphins have needed since Marino retired.

19. Arizona Cardinals The Cardinals barely escaped against the Texans. A crucial NFC West match up is next when they go to Seattle.

20. Houston Texans It took them an entire half before they found their offense yet they still came a yard away from forcing overtime.

21. Dallas Cowboys Miles Austin had a career day for himself and the Cowboys but it still took an extra quarter for Dallas to put away the Chiefs.

22. Jacksonville Jaguars A true enigma on the field, however, that performance against Seattle probably sealed Jack Del Rio's fate.

23. Detroit Lions The Lions achieved a morale victory by hanging around with the Steelers until late. Daunte Culpepper looked good in a spot start for the injured Matthew Stafford.

24. Carolina Panthers Lucky call and all the Panthers are the third team this season to get their first win over Washington.

25. Washington Redskins They somehow manage to grab defeat out of the jaws of victory. The bye week is two weeks away, which might be how much longer Jim Zorn is head coach.

26. Kansas City Chiefs A narrow loss to the Cowboys, however, they should get their first win of the season next week against Washington if history is any indication.

27. Cleveland Browns The stat line for Derek Anderson is staggering. 2/17 for 23 yards. This was the same QB that made the Pro Bowl two years ago.

28. Tennessee Titans The good news is that the Vince Young era will resume next week. The bad news is that it resumes at New England.

29. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Byron Leftwich, Josh Johnson, there is no one that can make this offense looks any better than it has been.

30. Buffalo Bills It looks like offensive coordinator Turk Schonert wasn't the problem after all.

31. Oakland Raiders The Raiders have managed just 16 points in their last three games. The Bills have scored 20 and the Rams have scored 27.

32. St. Louis Rams Rams assistant head coach/quarterbacks coach Richard Curl was named NFL Europe's Coach of the Year in 1998 and 1999, the only coach in NFL Europe history to win the honor in consecutive seasons . Your 2009 St. Louis Rams!

You lie! lol

BlindSite
10-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Lucky Call denotes that a call should've gone the other way. Homeboy got blocked into his own returner, that's a correct call based on the rules, no "luck" in it. Strong ST play can win games, in this case it did.

vikes_28
10-15-2009, 12:36 AM
I think that the Vikings are in a good spot. I'm really hoping they can do well against the Ravens. 6-0 would be fantastic.

diabsoule
10-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Lucky Call denotes that a call should've gone the other way. Homeboy got blocked into his own returner, that's a correct call based on the rules, no "luck" in it. Strong ST play can win games, in this case it did.

I should have put a "lucky" play instead of a lucky call.

PalmerToCJ
10-15-2009, 12:40 AM
Not a fan of the Steelers over the Ravens, however the emergence of Mendenhall does help this. The Steelers also had a close one with the Titans.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if they still win the division... They always do.

I like the rankings overall.

BlindSite
10-15-2009, 12:41 AM
I think that the Vikings are in a good spot. I'm really hoping they can do well against the Ravens. 6-0 would be fantastic.

How has Sidney Rice been progressing I only saw two games this year and he didn't show up much in one of them.

diabsoule
10-15-2009, 12:55 AM
Not a fan of the Steelers over the Ravens, however the emergence of Mendenhall does help this. The Steelers also had a close one with the Titans.

With that said, I wouldn't be surprised if they still win the division... They always do.

I like the rankings overall.

It was difficult but the reason for ranking the Steelers over the Ravens was based on several things:
1. The emergence of Mendenhall for Pittsburgh is starting to help open up the running game for the Steelers which is something they have needed to have balance on offense.
2. The Ravens have lost two games in a row as well as allowing their first 100 yard game to a rusher (and Cedric Benson of all people) in quite some time.
3. The Ravens pass defense is questionable at best right now.

Although Pittsburgh has a hard time closing out games, they still manage to win, while the Ravens just haven't been able to get over the hump when it comes to closing out games with a W.

vikes_28
10-15-2009, 01:12 AM
How has Sidney Rice been progressing I only saw two games this year and he didn't show up much in one of them.

We Vikings fans seriously believe that Rice is having is breakout year. He has two touchdowns (i think) this year already. He has made some nice catches. It's amazing what a good quarterback can do for a team.

Shiver
10-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Week 5 Power Rankings

1. New York Giants Steamrolled the hapless Raiders. Eli had a much needed short work day and needs the rest when the G-men travel the SuperDome to play the Saints next week.

2. Indianapolis Colts Peyton Manning is playing some of the best football of his career and is making studs out of young receivers Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon.

I would put the Colts ahead of the Giants for now. I am worried about New York's injuries, can they survive the battle of attrition? It is a testament to Jerry Reese that they've survived this well.

What team in the AFC can stop the Colts right now? All the 3-4 defenses that gave them so many problems in the past look significantly weaker this year: San Diego is terrible, Baltimore's pass defense is pathetic, New England and Pittsburgh have been mediocre. Peyton's road has never looked so easy.

Ness
10-15-2009, 10:08 AM
the 49ers were (are? at least until they prove otherwise this season) perennial losers. you just got dominated by the Falcons... do you really not get it??

What an ironic statement from a Bengals fan.

awfullyquiet
10-15-2009, 10:24 AM
What an ironic statement from a Bengals fan.

I agree.

Unfortunately, I disagree with the original post. The 49ers are legit with the team they have in place and maybe another 9 games of seasoning they'll start playing with some consistancy. They're young in experience in some key places. Not having Frank Gore also doesn't help, but that should be fixed relatively shortly.