PDA

View Full Version : Ivory Coast

TimD
05-31-2006, 03:49 PM
I think we all have heard about Ivory Coast, the team that stopped a war by qualifiying for the world cup. I was reading up on them and i think they have a chance to get to the semi finals, and surprise some teams...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/soccer/01/18/profile.ivorycoast/

jetvilma51
05-31-2006, 03:53 PM
they could but they wont

Eaglez.Fan
05-31-2006, 03:58 PM
They won't

Fixed.

FlutiesDropKick
05-31-2006, 04:00 PM
They have a great D but just can't match up with the skill level of some of the powers in soccer. That being said there tends to be a cinderella African team every world cup and i would love to see it be Ivory Coats but with the higher expectations i could see them faltering

tom
05-31-2006, 04:03 PM
They have a few very good players in Drogba, Y. Toure, K. Toure, Zokora and Eboue, and if they were in any other group, would probably be fighting for a top spot...

As it stands, Argentina are favourites and will probably take the group, they're stacked with talent. And Netherland's is a very close second... After that it seems like Ivory Coast and Serbia will be left to battle it out, with one of them maybe slipping in, but all the odds are against them...

I doubt they even make it through the group

FlutiesDropKick
05-31-2006, 04:06 PM
They have a few very good players in Drogba, Y. Toure, K. Toure, Zokora and Eboue, and if they were in any other group, would probably be fighting for a top spot...

As it stands, Argentina are favourites and will probably take the group, they're stacked with talent. And Netherland's is a very close second... After that it seems like Ivory Coast and Serbia will be left to battle it out, with one of them maybe slipping in, but all the odds are against them...

I doubt they even make it through the group

i actually would even like Serbia in some of the other groups but this one is just too stacked as you said

Vilma the Animal
05-31-2006, 04:09 PM
That would be a great story but its not happening...even though Ill be pulling for them.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-31-2006, 04:10 PM
That would be a great story but its not happening...even though Ill be pulling for them.

MaxV
05-31-2006, 04:21 PM
It seems that every WC there is an African team that surprises everyone by going deep. This year it may be Ivory Coast. Probably not though, they are in the same division as Argentina and Netherlands, 2 top-10 teams in the World.

With that said Africa is probably the 3rd strongest soccer continent in the world (behind only Europe and South America) and perhaps they should be allowed to send more teams to the WC.

tom
05-31-2006, 04:39 PM
It seems that every WC there is an African team that surprises everyone by going deep. This year it may be Ivory Coast. Probably not though, they are in the same division as Argentina and Netherlands, 2 top-10 teams in the World.

With that said Africa is probably the 3rd strongest soccer continent in the world (behind only Europe and South America) and perhaps they should be allowed to send more teams to the WC.

Africa is mos'def the third strongest continent, but you have to consider the fact that they send about as many countries as south america, maybe one less... Personally, I like the way they do it in Africa, because it's always exiting, and you always have the hotest teams going in...
I think it might be a great idea to cut down the number of North American berths, and send that one berth to Africa, since there never really seems to be any competition in NA...

05-31-2006, 04:46 PM
If Senegal can beat France, then anything is possible

MaxV
05-31-2006, 04:48 PM

Africa is mos'def the third strongest continent, but you have to consider the fact that they send about as many countries as south america, maybe one less... Personally, I like the way they do it in Africa, because it's always exiting, and you always have the hotest teams going in...
I think it might be a great idea to cut down the number of North American berths, and send that one berth to Africa, since there never really seems to be any competition in NA...

I was thinking the same thing. There are only 2 good soccer nations in NA, Mexico and USA. The winner of qualifying division should have the automatic birth with the second place team having a playoff with either an Asian team or top Oceanian team.

critesy
05-31-2006, 04:56 PM
If Senegal can beat France, then anything is possible

exactly....ivory coast is the new senegal.

Hawks, Sox and Bears o my
05-31-2006, 06:06 PM
Offensively they'll be fun to watch but there defense is none existent, starting with the midfield.

tom
05-31-2006, 06:08 PM
Offensively they'll be fun to watch but there defense is none existent, starting with the midfield.

I disagree, they have K.Toure on defense and Eboue... both really good players, and their mid-field features Zokora and Yaya Toure

Hawks, Sox and Bears o my
05-31-2006, 06:10 PM

I disagree, they have K.Toure on defense and Eboue... both really good players, and their mid-field features Zokora and Yaya Toure
]
Miete is also a versatile defender but I watched some of there qualifications and the defense really seemed shaky on the few halves I caught. From a talent stand point they could threaten to advance from the groups but if the defense plays like I saw them play they would have to score 3-4 goals a game to do so.