PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With BCS QB's Getting Injured This Year?

SINCE1978
10-17-2009, 01:33 PM
We all know about the injury to defending Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford's throwing shoulder. He has re-hurt it again today and is out against Texas.
Besides Bradford, other notable QB's have gone down with injuries including: USC's Matt Barkley, Cinci's Tony Pike, Florida's Tim Tebow, ND's Jimmy Clausen & out for the season in USF's Matt Grothe. There may be others, these were just off the top of my head ...

Outside of Barkley, who is a true frosh, the other 5 are all first day draft picks in 2010. I know the Lion's are set for 10+ with Stafford, but my question is if you were an NFL organization looking for that franchise signal caller, does the durability of these collective QB's concern you? Just throwing it out there especially since many feel Bradford & Clausen are potential #1 overall picks.

WMD
10-17-2009, 03:55 PM
I'd say a one time injury that keeps a guy out for 2-3 weeks is nothing to worry about.. but if something has been injured, and then injured again.. I'd be worried about that. An injury that keeps a guy out for over a month is cause for concern..

tblain1
10-17-2009, 08:46 PM
I'd say a one time injury that keeps a guy out for 2-3 weeks is nothing to worry about.. but if something has been injured, and then injured again.. I'd be worried about that. An injury that keeps a guy out for over a month is cause for concern..

i think bradford's injury concerns me more than Clausen's and after seeing Bradford hurt his throwing shoulder AGAIN, i'd be pretty worried. Aside from that I also think Clausen will be more NFL ready than Bradford, injury or no injury.

Iamcanadian
10-17-2009, 10:35 PM
It all depends on their health in the post season. Sanchez was a mid 1st rounder but as the post season progressed he made a substantial move up draft boards. If your healthy in the post season and show real talent, being hurt during the season won't cost a player much provided he checks out OK on his medical.

SINCE1978
10-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Bradford is such a narrow framed kid, he could stand to bulk up 15 pounds and dare I say, come back for a senior campaign? He got hit today by a college CB and it was not even a hard shot. Imagine a typical NFL DE crushing this kid from the blindside.
His stock is low based on personal performance (his stats are pedestrian so lack of consistency is a concern scouts will talk about) team success has been average (3 losses already is hard to believe) and of course his durability is #1 piece of baggage he will carry from here on out. It's a tough decision his camp will have to make in the coming months. I say he bolts for the NFL, although question the move.

Iamcanadian
10-18-2009, 06:42 AM
Bradford is such a narrow framed kid, he could stand to bulk up 15 pounds and dare I say, come back for a senior campaign? He got hit today by a college CB and it was not even a hard shot. Imagine a typical NFL DE crushing this kid from the blindside.
His stock is low based on personal performance (his stats are pedestrian so lack of consistency is a concern scouts will talk about) team success has been average (3 losses already is hard to believe) and of course his durability is #1 piece of baggage he will carry from here on out. It's a tough decision his camp will have to make in the coming months. I say he bolts for the NFL, although question the move.

College kids think they are invincible but once they realize they aren't, they all declare. Bradford's shoulder injury isn't career threating but likely will require surgery to strength his shoulder socket. He may now drop out of the #1 overall pick competition but is still likely to go round 1. He probably lost 30 million dollars returning to school and I seriously doubt he takes that road again.

tblain1
10-18-2009, 02:58 PM
It all depends on their health in the post season. Sanchez was a mid 1st rounder but as the post season progressed he made a substantial move up draft boards. If your healthy in the post season and show real talent, being hurt during the season won't cost a player much provided he checks out OK on his medical.

It will still get flagged though. Everything is nitpicked in the draft and all risks are weighted by each team. If you have a couple injuries that re-occur and might prevent your longevity as a Pro that could drop you down a few spots.

Look at Adrian Peterson. if it weren't for injury concerns he probably would have been drafted top 3. Still he was taken 7th overall, so he didnt slide too far, but the only knock on him was his injury history.

tblain1
10-18-2009, 03:02 PM
College kids think they are invincible but once they realize they aren't, they all declare. Bradford's shoulder injury isn't career threating but likely will require surgery to strength his shoulder socket. He may now drop out of the #1 overall pick competition but is still likely to go round 1. He probably lost 30 million dollars returning to school and I seriously doubt he takes that road again.

Does he have the option to return? I thought he was a junior last year. I guess he redshirted right?

If he does have the option to return.... Hmmm. i think he might. He knows his ceiling is high and he is on a team that could help propel him. His stock is lowest now and he could drop out of the first round this year. I bet he would risk injury to get a better contract the next year.

SINCE1978
10-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Bradford is a redshirt Junior ...

Iamcanadian
10-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Does he have the option to return? I thought he was a junior last year. I guess he redshirted right?

If he does have the option to return.... Hmmm. i think he might. He knows his ceiling is high and he is on a team that could help propel him. His stock is lowest now and he could drop out of the first round this year. I bet he would risk injury to get a better contract the next year.

Very few injured college players who are high draft prospects ever return to school after suffering a serious injury. They obviously have been informed that if they suffer another injury, they may end up getting peanuts for all the years they have worked hard to become a pro. Bradford's injury isn't considered serious at this point and while he may fall into the 20's that is still going to make him a millionaire and he could still go a lot higher depending on what the NFL doctors say(see Crabtree). Sure he could return to school and improve his draft status but if he gets seriously injured again, he could end up working in construction for nothing. He was a fool to return for his senior year and it probably cost him 30 to 40 million dollars. I don't think he will be an idiot and risk the 5-10 million he is likely to get now.

Iamcanadian
10-18-2009, 09:49 PM
It will still get flagged though. Everything is nitpicked in the draft and all risks are weighted by each team. If you have a couple injuries that re-occur and might prevent your longevity as a Pro that could drop you down a few spots.

Look at Adrian Peterson. if it weren't for injury concerns he probably would have been drafted top 3. Still he was taken 7th overall, so he didnt slide too far, but the only knock on him was his injury history.

I agree, GM's have to pay top 5 picks between 20 to 30 million dollars of guaranteed money. Hence they are very reluctant to draft injured players top 5. Peterson dropped to a spot where the financial risk was less serious. GM's know owners usually won't accept the financial loss if there was some warning that the player was an injury risk with that much guaranteed money at stake. If the GM wasn't scared for his job a nd that he might be fired, he likely drafts Peterson top 3 but few GM's have shown that they will take that risk.

Brothgar
10-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Bradford COULD always go back for one more year. I mean he is only a registered junior this season. I could really see Bradford and Snead going back for their senior season which will kinda water down this years QB class.

SINCE1978
10-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Very few injured college players who are high draft prospects ever return to school after suffering a serious injury. They obviously have been informed that if they suffer another injury, they may end up getting peanuts for all the years they have worked hard to become a pro. Bradford's injury isn't considered serious at this point and while he may fall into the 20's that is still going to make him a millionaire and he could still go a lot higher depending on what the NFL doctors say(see Crabtree). Sure he could return to school and improve his draft status but if he gets seriously injured again, he could end up working in construction for nothing. He was a fool to return for his senior year and it probably cost him 30 to 40 million dollars. I don't think he will be an idiot and risk the 5-10 million he is likely to get now.

First off, pretty sure Bradford has 1 more year if he wants it since he redshirted. Secondly, I hate the argument that he "lost 30-40 million" b/c he never had it to begin with! He goes out this year gets picked in the top 15, goes to a better team that if a top 3 pick and sits a year or 2, still collects a 10 million dollar contract and plays for 8 years.

tblain1
10-21-2009, 04:38 PM
First off, pretty sure Bradford has 1 more year if he wants it since he redshirted. Secondly, I hate the argument that he "lost 30-40 million" b/c he never had it to begin with! He goes out this year gets picked in the top 15, goes to a better team that if a top 3 pick and sits a year or 2, still collects a 10 million dollar contract and plays for 8 years.

Its simple math. If you get picked earlier, you get more money up front; guaranteed money. The argument is that he had strong potential to go top 5. Stafford and Sanchez are getting oodles of guaranteed money even if they get cut tomorrow. This year Bradford will NOT go top 5. I know he didn't have a top 5 spot solidified, but he had a really good shot at one of those spots.

If he gets picked in say the late 1st round now, his guaranteed money drops significantly.

And there's no 8 year guarantee. If he gets picked late, then he sure isn't getting an 8 year deal.

SINCE1978
10-21-2009, 05:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4356869

Like the article says, Kent Bradford (Sam's dad) has him taken care of with an insurance policy protecting against a catastrophic injury. 3-5 million is not 30, I get it. But ol Sam will not be selling life insurance like his old man if worst case he settles with that claim.

tblain1
10-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Bradford will have surgery, then enter the draft. Very interested to see where he lands. In trying to think of a comparable player in this position, I'm thinking of Peterson and MacGahee. MacGahee's injury was probably more catastrophic though. But honestly if he hadn't been injured where would he have fallen? Top 10? Top 15? He does have a few shortcomings. Does this mean he is end of 1st round now?

Prowler
10-25-2009, 07:21 PM
i'm not that high on him, but the market is outstanding for him. depending on how things shake out, he could have teams like seattle, st louis, buffalo, jacksonville, and washington taking a plunge and grabbing new quarterbacks. could even make arguments for tennessee, minnesota, and arizona. i think he's still top 20 at the worst.

SINCE1978
10-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Well said Prowler ... market is prime so he is top 20 at worst. Amazing how many NFL organizations are seeking their "it" guy still?! Throw Cleveland & San Francisco into your mix & it's a third of the league!

JRTPlaya21
10-26-2009, 06:17 PM
The lack of RGIII in the first post leaves me smh.

Iamcanadian
10-26-2009, 09:36 PM

If you believe he was a top 5 pick to begin with then he lost 30 million at least. There is no question about that. He could have played for another 8 years either way. He will never recover that 30 million no matter what he does now. It is lost forever making him a complete idiot for returning to school.
If you don't believe he was ever a top 5 talent, then he isn't going top 15 now and will be very lucky to be a 1st rounder. Either way he paid a high price for returning to school.

SINCE1978
10-28-2009, 08:06 PM
If you believe he was a top 5 pick to begin with then he lost 30 million at least. There is no question about that. He could have played for another 8 years either way. He will never recover that 30 million no matter what he does now. It is lost forever making him a complete idiot for returning to school.
If you don't believe he was ever a top 5 talent, then he isn't going top 15 now and will be very lucky to be a 1st rounder. Either way he paid a high price for returning to school.

I don't believe Bradford would have been a top 5 pick. Of the 2 teams that took QB's high in round 1 ... Detroit was dialed in on Stafford early on (they just were real good with the smoke screens) and the Jets loved "Sanchize", targeting him early on in the process. Below are the top 10 from last year ... I would argue, in hind-sight, Bradford would have gone #10 to the 49ers (assuming no trades up for him) in replace of Crabtree.

1 Lions Matt Stafford QB
2 Rams Jason Smith OT
3 Chiefs Tyson Jackson DE
4 hawks Aaron Curry OLB
5 Jets Mark Sanchez QB
6 Bengals Andre Smith OT
7 Raiders DHB WR
8 Jaguars Eugene Monroe OT
9 Packers B.J. Raji DT
10 49ers Mike Crabtree WR

After all the holding out, Mr. Crabtree signed a 6 yr 32 million dollar deal. My understanding is it is 17 million guaranteed ... but he is expected to make 19 million over the first 3 years & 23 million over the first 4 years. Not quite 30 million, but darn close I guess? I still believe with all the ineptness this NFL has at QB (10 teams could use one) Bradford will still likely be a top 15 pick.

brat316
10-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Why is Bradford so high, I still don't understand, even before injury. He plays in the spread offense, and we always talk about system qbs, not having much success, why is he different?

SINCE1978
10-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Accurate, understands route timing, high character/leader, 6'4", quick release, etc, etc, etc .... blah,blah,blah.

Hind-sight, glad we went Stafford when we did and do not have to debate about this clown for our squad in 2010. There I said it ;o)

brat316
10-28-2009, 08:39 PM
Accurate, understands route timing, high character/leader, 6'4", quick release, etc, etc, etc .... blah,blah,blah.

Hind-sight, glad we went Stafford when we did and do not have to debate about this clown for our squad in 2010. There I said it ;o)

what about spread system? Accurate-inflated numbers, understands route timing - spread offense doesn't have to run full route trees.