PDA

View Full Version : Lions @ Packers ... discuss here.

SINCE1978
10-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Do we have any shot at winning this game today? I know it's been since 1991 since the Leo's won @ Lambeau and our pass defense has given up 15 touchdowns already this year combined with a league best (worst?) 73.5% completion rate, BUT it's the NFL and anything is possible right? Discuss ....

Prowler
10-18-2009, 10:46 AM
daunte still hasn't 'won' with the lions so he'll be amped up to prove he can win. the packers' oline could give us hope, but rodgers is smart and accurate so we have to win the turnover battle to stay in this thing.

also, this win would have huge draft implications.

0-5 teams
chiefs
tampa bay
st louis
tennessee

1 win teams
us 1-4
buffalo 1-4
oakland 1-4
cleveland 1-4
and carolina is 1-3.

a victory can completely take us out of the top 5 and more likely be in 10th pick range with st louis and cleveland still coming up later this year.

Prowler
10-18-2009, 12:11 PM
we need to cut manuel......atleast make the tackle so it's only a rediculously long catch....james jones spun him like a top because manuel didn't commit to the tackle.

SINCE1978
10-18-2009, 01:05 PM
Manuel is garbage.

Not very happy with Ernie Sims's decision on that Kuhn (FB) TD in the 1st quarter. Did anyone see him look lost on that replay? He was a total deer in the headlights ... did not commit to the rush nor the pass coverage. Frozen. It was embarrassing.

This team is so void of talent. They have some 1st string play makers but their 2nd & 3rd stringers are just awful. Thanks for that legacy Matty Millen ... you incompetent SOB drafter!#$@?!@

tblain1
10-18-2009, 02:54 PM
They aren't showing the game in Chicago. what happened at QB? Was culpepper benched for throwing two INTS? Injured? Or does it look like a lost cause and Stanton is just getting scrap time?

Maybe Next Year Millen2
10-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Terrible offensive performance but what do you expect without Calvin and Stafford.

Defense, well gave up 26, but were put in terrible situations early. 13 points from terrible situation, 13 on the D.

Pettigrew played horrible, beat on an early sack by Matthews, dropped a pass on a 3 and out, and that int was in hands but bounced into Al Harris. Terrible game for Pettigrew.

Expected blow out and it was a blow out. Nothing else to say really.

Prowler
10-18-2009, 05:33 PM
daunte was scrambling and pulled up as he went out of bounds with probably a pulled hamstring.

P-L
10-18-2009, 08:59 PM
This team is so devoid of talent it's unfair. Props to Jim Schwartz for keeping them from being the worst team in the league. Outside of Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford, Louis Delmas, Larry Foote, and [maybe] Gosder Cherilus; I'm not sure we have anyone who would start for any other team. I think 3-13 would be a decent start considering how bad we were last year and how little talent we have. If Schwartz can get this team to 8-8 by the 2011 season, we should build him a monument.

Brothgar
10-18-2009, 11:54 PM
This team is so devoid of talent it's unfair. Props to Jim Schwartz for keeping them from being the worst team in the league. Outside of Calvin Johnson, Matthew Stafford, Louis Delmas, Larry Foote, and [maybe] Gosder Cherilus; I'm not sure we have anyone who would start for any other team. I think 3-13 would be a decent start considering how bad we were last year and how little talent we have. If Schwartz can get this team to 8-8 by the 2011 season, we should build him a monument.

Julian Peterson, and Kevin Smith could start for a few teams.

Prowler
10-19-2009, 09:05 AM
don't forget hanson, but yeah that's about it

tblain1
10-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Terrible offensive performance but what do you expect without Calvin and Stafford.

Defense, well gave up 26, but were put in terrible situations early. 13 points from terrible situation, 13 on the D.

Pettigrew played horrible, beat on an early sack by Matthews, dropped a pass on a 3 and out, and that int was in hands but bounced into Al Harris. Terrible game for Pettigrew.

Expected blow out and it was a blow out. Nothing else to say really.

Is anyone else extremely disappointed in how often Pettigrew drops? I have seen parts of about 3-4 games and I have seen more miscues and drops than I have good plays. I know its early and he is a rook, but so far I'm not hugely impressed.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
10-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Pettigrew shows flashes for instance his vertical leap but those drops are not good. Sure its early so we'll wait and see. He's done some good things but has a long way to go. Of course we took him with a Roy Williams traded pick, so we needed someone to take over the Roy drops.

As for the Pettigrew blocking, its been decent but the run game still isn't where it should be by a long shot. LG and Raiola still an issue and Gosder still has some growing. Although this last game I was not impressed at all with Pettigrews blocking in pass protection. Matthews first sack he ran over Pettigrew. I did a double take and was like who is 84 on his back, and I was like crap thats Pettigrew.

SINCE1978
10-19-2009, 05:26 PM
ironic how it turned out when you think about it ... Detroit received not only Pettigrew, but Derrick Williams & Aaron Brown in that Roy Williams trade. All offensive players who catch the ball and have been in the dog house with coaches or fans so far. (in certain capacities)

Scotty D
10-19-2009, 09:42 PM
ironic how it turned out when you think about it ... Detroit received not only Pettigrew, but Derrick Williams & Aaron Brown in that Roy Williams trade. All offensive players who catch the ball and have been in the dog house with coaches or fans so far. (in certain capacities)

Derrick Williams has seem to perform pretty well every time I see him on the field, I don't get the negative vibe for him. I'm a little worried about Pettigrew's play but sometimes we forget that this a rookie playing in his first game at Lambeau field. You know what I mean? I'm still expecting more from him, but he is was basically handled the starting job as a rookie and has huge responsibilities in the running and passing game.

Iamcanadian
10-20-2009, 06:31 AM

I totally agree. After 7 years of Millen drafting, the cupboard is bare. We are as close to an expansion team as it gets. I place no blame on the coaches or the current management for this mess. Expecting a lot of wins with this personnel is just wishful thinking. What I like is that the draft looks to have been pretty good but we will need 2 or 3 more good ones to be competitive and I'm saisfied so far that Schwartz was a good hire.

P-L
10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
Pettigrew has been a really good blocker this season, minus Sunday's game. We got him to be a blocker with the hopes that he'd develop into a pass-catcher as well. As far as a receiver, he was all potential and not very productive at Oklahoma State. If Brandon can continue to block as well as he did in the first five games, I'll give him a year or two to become the receiver he is capable of becoming.

Brodeur
10-20-2009, 07:04 PM

I think Raiola could start for a decent amount of teams.

SINCE1978
10-20-2009, 08:20 PM
But I'll say this again ... do you draft a blocking TE with a top 20 overall pick?? I mean G's & C's rarely go that high and they block EVERY play, run or pass. I am not against BP I just think the Lion's made the wrong BPA pick.
(I meant Brandon Pettigrew but BP could also mean Best Player)

awfullyquiet
10-21-2009, 10:22 AM
But I'll say this again ... do you draft a blocking TE with a top 20 overall pick??

Uh. Yeah.

I'd rather teach the catcher the blocking than the blocker the catching.

P-L
10-21-2009, 10:26 AM
But I'll say this again ... do you draft a blocking TE with a top 20 overall pick?? I mean G's & C's rarely go that high and they block EVERY play, run or pass. I am not against BP I just think the Lion's made the wrong BPA pick.
(I meant Brandon Pettigrew but BP could also mean Best Player)
That is certainly debatable. Personally, I thought Pettigrew was the best player on the board.

awfullyquiet
10-21-2009, 11:25 AM
That is certainly debatable. Personally, I thought Pettigrew was the best player on the board.

Really?

over: Peria Jerry or Vonte Davis or even Oher?

Less offense. More defense.

Scotty D
10-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Really?

over: Peria Jerry or Vonte Davis or even Oher?

Less offense. More defense.

Yes, there was a rumor TT was looking at him at #9.

awfullyquiet
10-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Yes, there was a rumor TT was looking at him at #9.

TT would have been wrong.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
10-21-2009, 01:39 PM
BPA is tough to call. There is no consensus one GM might think one way and another a different way. Could be 32 BPAs at that point. Pettigrew was BPA definitely for Mayhew though as he stated many times that would be his draft strategy and Tight End wasn't a glaring need compared to Tackle or defense. Pettigrew is a huge man,a good blocker and has receiving abilities for sure. Good leaper and will be a threat for us. Can stretch the middle of the field some, not like a Gates/Gonzo/Witten but he has that ability. Yes defense is still a need but if we draft like we did with Levy and Delmas and even Hill(with the promise all 3 have shown) in Rounds 2-4 our defense will be built up in no time. Plus getting free agents like Grady Jackson(who has been decent as a stop gap),Foote/Peterson via trade. Buchanon,Henry,Eric King,Marquand Manuel not so much. Need some secondary work for sure.

Also say we hit on some D in free agency again like Foote/Peterson(2-3 years left IMO) and Rounds 2-4 again and get Okung in Round 1. Okung/Gosder/Pettigrew equals you better have an interior pass rush because your DEs aren't going to do squat against us.

Scott has Pettigrew at 15 on his final rankings, behind Oher 10 and ahead of Vontae Davis 16 and Peria Jerry 22.

Scotty D
10-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Plus people should stop talking about Jerry, tore his ACL.

SINCE1978
10-21-2009, 05:31 PM
About BPA ... how many teams have screwed the pooch with the #1 OVERALL selections?

Need I remind you of recent flops Jemarcus Russell, Tim Couch, Courtney Brown etc etc.

Any prospect is available, no waiting, no wondering ... still they screw it up. Often times the reason you pick so high is b/c you stink from top to bottom (including scouts/GM/player personnel guys) who aid in the picks.

Again, Pettigrew may have been the BP on Mayhew's board, but he's a 1) rookie GM 2)with Matt Millen run War Room experience 3) filling voids on the first ever 0-16 team. Not exactly a strong history in his favor to step out and pick a guy who blocks well from the TE position and has netted a whopping 152 yds on 12 receptions in 6 games. He must be utilized more. POINT BLANK. If his talent was top 10 BPA, show us by getting him involved more. Prove to us (the fans) your BPA strategy is legit that's all. We sure could have used a DT or DE, just ask Stephen Peterman!!

Prowler
10-21-2009, 10:16 PM
i think people are forgetting how horrible michael gaines was. also we just have/had too many holes. after this next draft then we'll be able to pick and choose a little bit more carefully.