PDA

View Full Version : Week 6 Thoughts

Shiver
10-19-2009, 01:27 AM
I'll add something about the MNF game, but I have a lot on my agenda tomorrow so I figure I will post something now:

It Is Early, Yet..

The Saints are the best team in the NFL. The Colts are right up there with them, but I would give the Saints the edge because they have a much better running game and the defense is playing a little better. This team has impressed me much more than the 2006 team that went to the NFCCG.

What I like is they've shown they can win with defense and a running game and they don't rely on Brees slinging it around, although they are fine doing that. Pierre Thomas has been quietly becoming one of the NFL's best backs. They need to keep feeding him the ball and with him, Bell and Bush they should be able to grind out a lot of wins.

With that being said: They still have two games against a 4-1 Atlanta Falcons team that lost its only game to a strong Patriots team in Foxboro. I've said it before, I think the two games could amount to 150 total points. Both defenses are opportunistic and certainly both offenses are legit.

There is still a long way to go, but as of this moment the Saints are the front-runners.

Strange That We All Forgot About Them

The Arizona Cardinals made it to their first Super Bowl and nearly won it. They started slow and a lot of us chalked it up to the SB losers curse. Now they are tied for the division lead and I would give them the advantage going forward. Kurt Warner, contrary to what I thought, has maintained an elite level of play and I trust him over Shaun Hill in a tight division race. The run defense has played exceptionally well and if they could get Beanie Wells going (he is stuck in a Mendenhall like purgatory) they could really go off.

What's Wrong With Tom Brady?

Now we will see a transition from Ron Jaworski's incoherent rambling about Brady's struggles to Ron Jaworski's incoherent rambling about his successes. At the end of the day I don't think anything was wrong with him to begin with. He has had some tough match-ups and has had struggles with the line in front of him. The Titans secondary, however, is the cure to all passing game woes.

I would say that New England is a team that is very dangerous. I know people have talked about the Broncos and Colts as being front-runners, if I were them however I would be terrified of facing New England in the playoffs. They are not quite as good as they were in 2007, they are probably better than they were in 2004 and 2005 though.

The NFC Least

This division has imploded thus far. What has happened, I think, is all the teams were forced into making high risk maneuvers to stay competitive with one another and it hasn't paid off. Only the Giants stuck with their draft philosophy to fill their needs and it is no coincidence that they are the best team in the division. When will teams learn not to rely on big acquisitions? In a high pressure media environment with high expectations it is hard to resist the temptation to trade for a Roy Williams or sign an Albert Haynesworth.

These teams just are not consistently good football teams. The Eagles can look great, then they go out and lose to the hapless Raiders. The Cowboys barely beat the Chiefs before the bye week off of the gift of two missed tackles by Mike Brown. The Redskins cannot even eek out a winning record against winless teams. I think it is safe to say that the NFC North and South are superior divisions right now.

The Best Ravens Player Is Named Ray

Rice, not Lewis. It has been an interesting thing to watch the Ravens become an offensive football team; but when you have Ray Rice and Joe Flacco, why not? I have not seen a RB with that kind of balance in a long time, he just keeps upright and moving forward. Right now he is on pace for a 1,176 yard rushing, 867 yards receiving and 10 touchdowns. Behind that O-Line and with the weather going south soon I see no reason he won't meet those numbers. I know many liked Rice coming out of Rutgets, I know I did, but how many people saw him being this good?

Missed Opportunities

The Houston Texans were a sexy pick as a playoff team this year. They should be in the hunt, but due to a few mistakes they are still quite a ways behind. Matt Schaub has become a legitimate NFL QB and as long as he stays healthy the Texans can score with the best of them. Unfortunately the run defense took a while to appear, they have been strong in the last two games though. But the biggest problem is their running game; Chris Brown (he's still in the league?) single-handedly lost two games at the goal line, Steve Slaton hasn't been nearly as effective as he was as a rookie and they have shown no signs of life in that facet of the game. They were two plays away from being 5-1, but now they are 3-3 and have an uphill path to the playoffs.

How to Build a Top Flight Team

Let us look at the 2008 Atlanta Falcons draft:

1. Matt Ryan -I don't really need to go into too much depth into why this was a great pick. He wildly out-performed my expectations for him, especially when it comes to his intelligence and arm strength.

1. Sam Baker - Has been stellar at LT, very balanced in all facets of the game. It sure doesn't seem like his "short" arms have impacted his performance.

2. Curtis Lofton - Has been phenomenal at MLB and has really come along this year. He hasn't had the best NT in front of him either.

3. Chevis Jackson - He hasn't made an impact like I would have hoped.

3. Harry Douglas - Tore his ACL, but was an exciting weapon as a rookie and should be a great slot receiver once he comes back.

3. Thomas Decoud - Has been a big surprise for us. He has been very good in both coverage and in the run game.

5. Robert James - No impact.

5. Kroy Biermann - He reminds me of a young Patrick Kerney. High motor and has three sacks in five games. Has surplanted Jamaal Anderson at LE.

6. Thomas Brown
7. Wilrey Fontenot
7. Keith Zinger

Thank God for Thomas Dimitroff.

sweetness34
10-19-2009, 01:31 AM
And play the Chicago Bears on SNF. You'll have a pretty good chance at facing a team that will do more to hurt themselves than hurt the other team.

Flyboy
10-19-2009, 01:31 AM
Much props for the Saints' praise, Shiver, even though I'm sure it makes you feel dirty.

Now please stop talking about us. kkthxbi

Shiver
10-19-2009, 01:38 AM
And play the Chicago Bears on SNF. You'll have a pretty good chance at facing a team that will do more to hurt themselves than hurt the other team.

The Bears need to stop relying on cast-off O-Lineman. There is a reason we got rid of Frank Omiyale, then Carolina did, and now he is on your team. He was blown up I don't know how many times.

GhostDeini
10-19-2009, 01:47 AM
I will admit I was wrong about Matt Ryan. I didn't see the hype since he threw 19 interceptions as a senior but still Dolphins made the right pick. Jake Long is a franchise Left Tackle and is the best run blocking LT in the game. Sure he got abused week 1 but he also had a bad week 1 in his rookie year then never looked back.

diabsoule
10-19-2009, 01:54 AM
The Saints play the Patriots on MNF in a couple of weeks. Talk about an offensive showdown.

Great write-up as always, Shiver.

DeCrunkMAn
10-19-2009, 01:55 AM
The Pats could slowly becoming dangerous once again. I likey.

fenikz
10-19-2009, 04:20 AM
I love people writing off the Cardinals, they did it all last year, even deep into the playoffs

as Cris Collinsworth would say, "Worst playoff team in NFL history."

Gay Ork Wang
10-19-2009, 04:55 AM
The Bears need to stop relying on cast-off O-Lineman. There is a reason we got rid of Frank Omiyale, then Carolina did, and now he is on your team. He was blown up I don't know how many times.
66 times he ****** up.

How i know that?

we had 66 offensive plays

ATLDirtyBirds
10-19-2009, 05:33 AM
Amazing how well it appears we've made out in that draft. You're really not going to do much better than adding a franchise QB and studs at MLB and LT. Plus DeCoud who looks like he's got something and a good pass rusher late in the draft. Incredible. I love TD.

I can't wait for the Saints-Falcons game. It's going to be a good one for sure. I can't see us winning, but I do believe it will be close. And when it's close, anything can happen.

BlindSite
10-19-2009, 05:58 AM

His point is still a good one, that falcons draft, the signing of the coach, the GM, it's a perfect storm of rebuilding and it's paying off bigtime.

Just because someone sings their own teams praises doesn't mean they're not accurate in their sentiment.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Well the Skins signing Albert Haynesworth is not the reason why we are bad. He has been an absolute monster and our pass rush is night and day from last year. The problem is that we have no QB, no O-line, and no DB's, these are all problems that we couldn't have fixed this past offseason and were just an accumulation of what Snyder's been doing for years, but in no way was our offseason this past year the reason why we are the worst team in the league. I mean our acquisitions Albert, Dockery, Hunter Smith, Orakpo, Jarmon are some of the only consistent players on our team.

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 08:17 AM
if the Saints land home field advantage throughout the playoffs, its gonna be awfully hard beating them in that dome in December and January.

your only chance is getting them on the road in bad weather.

BeerBaron
10-19-2009, 08:19 AM
The Saints play the Patriots on MNF in a couple of weeks. Talk about an offensive showdown.

And it'll probably turn out to be one of those games where you're expecting a lot of offense but it'll be like 7-6 at halftime.....

sbh15
10-19-2009, 08:19 AM
i don't get it. so you hit on 4 picks out of 10, with 2 in the first, 3rd and 5th? yippee?

40% success rate, franchise QB, LT, Good DE and Solid S

Yeah, that's a good ****** draft.

nepg
10-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Ya, I never liked Campbell as a starting QB. I thought he'd be a solid back-up coming out of Auburn and, after watching him for four years, was absolutely stunned that people were talking about him as a first rounder...even more stunned that he went in the first round.

The Jason Campbell experience is why I wasn't completely shocked that Josh Freeman got drafted #17 overall.

Jughead10
10-19-2009, 09:52 AM
The NFC Least? You pretty much got that right. The Giants loss was embarassing, but the Eagles even more embarassing loss keeps us a game up. I think we'll beat the Cardinals. Not too worried there. And if we can beat the Eagles, I would have easily signed up for 7-1. I'm not too worried about the team long term despite the terrible loss.

As for Ray Rice. He's the f'ing man. Period. As for not seeing someone with balance like him, how about Ahmad Bradshaw? Very similar players.

Giantsfan1080
10-19-2009, 09:55 AM
I think we're slowly seeing a trend in the NFL for smaller RB's. Rice, MJD, and Williams had 3 of the biggest games yesterday.

LizardState
10-19-2009, 10:36 AM
The Saints offense is like that pinball machine in the arcade with the paint worn off the flippers & handles b/c it receives the most use. It's the machine with the biggest crowd around it b/c it always rings up the highest totals & players set scoring rcds. on it. 45 or more points in how many games? Damn! They keep this up & there will be some NFL scoring rcds. set by Brees & company.

It's not the QB with the biggest arm or the most intimidating receivers, it's the most accurate passer who throws the most catchable ball & makes the fewest mistakes, Drew Brees by definition.

On the flip side of high scoring & winning, then there's Tennessee. They are a complete disgrace to those Oiler throwback unis. I withdraw my comment that they will turn it around this yr, they're still in the tailspin & showing no signs of pulling out. Has any team gone from 1st to worst this fast? I also withdraw my comment about Fisher being locked up for his coaching career by Bud Adams, if he hits the mkt. b/c Adams cans him the long line of suitors for his services will be headed by Jerry Jones.

5. Kroy Biermann - He reminds me of a young Patrick Kerney. High motor and has three sacks in five games. Has surplanted Jamaal Anderson at LE.

Montana Griz player!! D. II-A player making lots of noise in the big leagues.

An inspired Raider defense pummeling McNabb, a pigeon, & no Napa cops waiting for Cable with handcuffs after the game at Alameda Co. Coliseum all saved his job. They have the whole rest of the season to take a dive in the race for the #1 pick so Al Davis will be guaranteed the chance to draft the player with the fastest 40 time at the Combine.

TitleTown088
10-19-2009, 10:37 AM
o2msmYpNXic

Raiders had help.

LizardState
10-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Best Wk. 6 moment was Eli Manning chewing ass on Bradshaw telling him Roman Harper was going to blitz from his FS spot a Louisiana parish away & he should pick him up. Bradshaw didn't, Manning got whacked again, was justifiably pissed off. Can you read lips? Did he use a racial epithet, ummmmhhh.... Even a godling like Eli is human, he had a real Oh ****! NOLA homecoming.

Worst Wk. 6 moment was DE Antwan Odom tearing his tendon cutting on the turf, done for the yr, just tragic. He was leading the league in sacks & was a big p/o of the Bengals defensive resurgence.

Looks like the Saints are going to break up the All-Manning SB by taking the NFC slot there vs. Indy instead of the Giants. Probably play the Vikes in the NFL Title game, good times....

Jughead10
10-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Best Wk. 6 moment was Eli Manning chewing ass on Bradshaw telling him Roman Harper was going to blitz from his FS spot a Louisiana parish away & he should pick him up. Bradshaw didn't, Manning got whacked again, was justifiably pissed off. Can you read lips? Did he use a racial epithet, ummmmhhh.... Even a godling like Eli is human, he had a real Oh ****! NOLA homecoming.

Looks like the Saints are going to break up the All-Manning SB by taking the NFC slot there vs. Indy instead of the Giants. Probably play the Vikes in the NFL Title game, good times....

Are you serious? After a game in week 6 you think you know the Super Bowl game? How'd that Giants/Titans Super Bowl go last year?

Ward
10-19-2009, 11:37 AM
what are you trying to say? that calling the season at the 1/3 mark isn't remotely logical?

if i've learned anything on nfldc this week it's that:

1) the giants suck
2) the saints are the best team ever
3) beating a terrible defense makes up for sucking the previous 5 weeks, so tom brady must be "back" (whatever the **** back meant in the first place)

i'd sure appreciate it if you'd leave me alone with my "facts".

Your ideas are intriguing to me, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Thanks in advance.

The Unseen
10-19-2009, 11:38 AM
i don't get it. so you hit on 4 picks out of 10, with 2 in the first, 3rd and 5th? yippee?

That's a good draft, yes.

HawkeyeFan
10-19-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm very proud of the refs, they called a great game during the Rams vs Jags... *cough*, wait... Yeah, that's compete ******** on my part.

The Unseen
10-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Which call was bad? I don't remember, and I only heard the game on the radio.

wicket
10-19-2009, 11:42 AM

I want over-under for the total points and passing yards in that game

HawkeyeFan
10-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Which call was bad? I don't remember, and I only heard the game on the radio.

There were I believe, 3.

Rams had 3 "Pass interferences". 1 was legit. the other 2.

Torry Holt was 4 yards off the line of scrimmage and Ron Bartell was jamming him, at that time the QB through a quick pass to him, and Torry who had just turned his head didn't really see the pass, through his arms up looking for a flag and didn't get it.. .until 3 seconds later and the teams were heading to the huddle. It was complete BS and pissed me off.

James Laurinatis was out covering MJD. Drew took off on a fly and Garrard through the ball short. James L put his arms and hands up and DID NOT TOUCH MJD, the ball hit the back of JL and a flag came up. Laurinatis made a nice play, stuck with him and then threw his hands up and had the ball hit off his back.

^^^ Both of those plays, the announcers were in shock and disarray that flags were called, and questioned them for awhile.

And then, Torry Holt "caught" a pass, 18 yards and his left foot was out of bounds. The Rams challenged the play and the replay showed that Holt's foot was out of bounds, and the announcers agreed, and said this one should come back. Nope, the play stood.

Also, a horsecollar on Jackson, not called.

Those plays kept the Rams defense on the field longer after they would have been 3 and outs. Giving them more time to breathe, hence MJD would not have tore through us the last half of the 4th quarter like he did. The Jaguars had 33 first downs, to the Rams 13. The Jags wouldn't have 33, it would have been more liike 25 had the Rams D gotten off the field at the time they were supposed too.

Rams still lost, whatever.

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't think its fair to call it the NFC Least just yet. Come on, how is the North better than the East?

The Giants lost to a Saints team coming off the bye with 4 starters on defense missing. We lost fair and square and got our butts kicked, but it doesn't make us a weak opponent by any means.

The Eagles had your classic let down game. Theyll be fine.

Dallas and Washington havent done much this year, but Dallas is still 3-2 and anything can happen.

NO and Minny are proving to be the best teams at the moment, but I don't think as highly of Atlanta, or Chicago as their record indicates.

Atlanta is good, but I rank a good 4 teams in the NFC better.

The East isn't hands down the best division in football, but when the dust settles, I think they will reestablish themselves as the best (not by a lot though). We go through the same thing with the South every year. If they were so good, we wouldn't have such fluctuation in that division every year.

Ravens1991
10-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Yeah Rice is a very good player, but lets give Flacco some props that dline was on his ass every play and he still threw for 385 yards 2 tds. He is the best young QB in the NFL(homer statement but the guy is awesome)

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-19-2009, 12:19 PM
NJX I'm glad you brought up the 06 Broncos draft. It was stuff of legend.

Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
Brandon Marshall
Elvis Dumervil
Domenik Hixon(did **** all for us, but apparently he's good in NY)

Giantsfan1080
10-19-2009, 12:22 PM
NJX I'm glad you brought up the 06 Broncos draft. It was stuff of legend.

Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
Brandon Marshall
Elvis Dumervil
Domenik Hixon(did **** all for us, but apparently he's good in NY)

Yeah that's an A+ draft if I've ever seen one.

21ST
10-19-2009, 12:25 PM
has campbell been this bad the whole time? i was watching, i think the end of the first half yesterday, and don't think i've seen many worse performances by guys who are supposed starting quarterbacks in the nfl. the guy was just utterly braindead out there.

Yeah he has been that bad and has actually had worse games this season

sweetness34
10-19-2009, 12:35 PM
His point is still a good one, that falcons draft, the signing of the coach, the GM, it's a perfect storm of rebuilding and it's paying off bigtime.

Just because someone sings their own teams praises doesn't mean they're not accurate in their sentiment.

I really didn't even read his post to be honest, I just thought I'd throw a little joke in there.

I would really like to see Beekman get another chance, he was actually pretty decent last season.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
10-19-2009, 12:37 PM
East is just as good as the North.

Giants and Vikings are dominating. Giants just had to play a very tough Saints team. If Vikings played at Saints and Giants played home versus Ravens, I think Giants would be 6-0 and Vikings would be 5-1. Week 17 head to head unfortunately both teams should be resting players. I hope they meet up in the playoffs. Why don't they schedule this game for earlier in season. Last 2 years, both Week 17.

Eagles and Cowboys are 3-2. So are Bears and Packers. Question will be answered who is better when they play head to head(Dal at GB and Philly at Chicago). Both games are at the North stadiums though.

Detroit and Washington both stink. Washington has a better record but lost to Detroit. They are even which makes both Detroit and Washington fan bases very sad.

South may have the best team in the Saints. Falcons at 4-1 are very good too but to say they are better than Eagles shouldn't be done yet. Saints beat the Eagles though, but that just reaffirms Saints are awesome this year.

Carolina losing to Philly and Dallas, gives the East the edge over the South with Atlanta being the unknown vs Dallas/Eagles at this point. Giants lost at Saints but may be a different story in the playoffs depending on the location of the game.

Plue we still have 10-11 games more to play. South plays the East this year so should be fun to watch. Saints still have Cowboys/Skins,Falcons have everyone and Carolina has the Giants.

sweetness34
10-19-2009, 12:38 PM

But that was just being a good leader. If Jay Cutler would've chewed out one of his teammates (like he did in Green Bay to his receivers that were running the wrong routes), he would've been lambasted.

Sometimes a QB needs to step up and get in a guys face, and that's what Eli did. It was the absolute right thing to do.

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 12:42 PM
I love what Eli did. It just shows that there is no question of who's team it is. Eli runs that offense, and no one is in his way anymore.

He had Nicks for a TD on that play, and Bradshaw blew it. I must say though, that was the first game in a looong time Ive seen Eli get beat mentally by his opponent.

He let the circumstances of the game get to him, and Ive never seen that from him before.

LizardState
10-19-2009, 12:42 PM
But that was just being a good leader. If Jay Cutler would've chewed out one of his teammates (like he did in Green Bay to his receivers that were running the wrong routes), he would've been lambasted.

Sometimes a QB needs to step up and get in a guys face, and that's what Eli did. It was the absolute right thing to do.

After all the preseason furor swirling around him, Cutler is going to get lambasted in Chicago if he even spits on the sidewalk

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Whether its fair or not, if the Bears don't make the playoffs and the Broncos do...Cutler is going to get killed by the media.

Shiver
10-19-2009, 12:46 PM

Maybe my math is wrong but there are more than four:

Ryan - franchise QB
Baker - Very good LT
Lofton - Very good MLB
Douglas - Good slot WR and return man
Jackson - Dimeback
Decoud - Very good FS
Biermann - Very good DE

We got seven players to contribute out of that class and it looks like we have five very good to excellent starters. Though the Broncos class you mentioned was top notch for sure.

Shiver
10-19-2009, 12:48 PM

That was my favorite moment too. People have criticized Manning for being too nonchalant, but he certainly has a fire in him when the moment calls for it. Basically the New York media is insane. (we all knew that, so is Chicago)

sweetness34
10-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Whether its fair or not, if the Bears don't make the playoffs and the Broncos do...Cutler is going to get killed by the media.

And it'll just go to show that the media is completely clueless. Orton is 5-0 mostly do to the fact that Denver's defense has become one of the best in the league (he is also playing some pretty damn good football right now too). Chicago is 3-2 mainly because we have a QB that can put points on the board and escape a putrid OL.

If the media wants to blame Cutler if we fall short of the playoffs, that's cool. But anyone with any football knowledge should realize that the only reason we aren't 1-4 or 0-5 right now is because of our QB. 2 game winning drives in the 4th Quarter and 2 drives that have either taken the lead or tied up the game in the 4th Quarter.

This without a running game and a consistent pocket to throw out of. I saw some throws last night that Orton would never have been able to make. At the end of the day, he put our team in position to score 3 times in the 2nd Half, he executed one of those drives and his teammates ****** up the other 2. We're still only a third of the way through the season though and anything can happen.

wicket
10-19-2009, 12:52 PM
I want over-under for the total points and passing yards in that game

nobody is biting. Im going with 70 and 640

Shiver
10-19-2009, 12:53 PM
I have always liked Jay Cutler: sure he makes a lot of stupid decisions, at the end of the day though he makes a lot more plays that can win games. He is who he is, he would be Ben Roethlisberger if he was in the same situation.

sweetness34
10-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Some of the throws he made last night were incredible. Most were off his back foot as well. The two to Knox and Olsen, pure sex.

Those two INT's get magnified in what I consider to be a pretty damn good performance last night under the circumstances. Ryan was beastly as well. Love his poise, intelligence, and accuracy.

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 01:00 PM
And it'll just go to show that the media is completely clueless. Orton is 5-0 mostly do to the fact that Denver's defense has become one of the best in the league (he is also playing some pretty damn good football right now too). Chicago is 3-2 mainly because we have a QB that can put points on the board and escape a putrid OL.

If the media wants to blame Cutler if we fall short of the playoffs, that's cool. But anyone with any football knowledge should realize that the only reason we aren't 1-4 or 0-5 right now is because of our QB. 2 game winning drives in the 4th Quarter and 2 drives that have either taken the lead or tied up the game in the 4th Quarter.

This without a running game and a consistent pocket to throw out of. I saw some throws last night that Orton would never have been able to make. At the end of the day, he put our team in position to score 3 times in the 2nd Half, he executed one of those drives and his teammates ****** up the other 2. We're still only a third of the way through the season though and anything can happen.

Yeah, i definitely sympathize. Its not fair, and theyll totally skew reality with the situation.

Dont let it frustrate you. Remember, its a marathon, not a sprint. Even if Cutler doesnt go to the playoffs this year, I highly doubt he'll continue his dry streak for much longer.

sweetness34
10-19-2009, 01:06 PM
With a decent OL and at full strength (meaning Urlacher and Pisa healthy), this team is quite formidable. I think a lot of football fans fail to realize the importance of special teams, and that is an area where we are one of the leagues best (last night though we had some major **** ups in the 4th quarter).

We need to find consistency across the board. I don't believe any of our units are dominant (maybe ST's but it's hard to say that this phase can be "dominant"), but they all have potential to be good. Our problem right now is that we are losing the battle in the trenches. We didn't touch Ryan last night on defense and our OL has had a horrid start to the season. We have to address the lines, especially on offense. The DL has actually been pretty damn good so far IMO.

Gay Ork Wang
10-19-2009, 01:09 PM
we dont even need a decent OL. an average OL would suffice to make Forte and Cutler look better

TitleTown088
10-19-2009, 01:18 PM

I'm more confused with the part about the Falcons being a "top flight team".

Auron
10-19-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm feeling good about the Saints, it's hard not to. However at the same time I realize they don't give Lombardi trophies after Week 6 of the regular season, and there is still a lot of football left to played. After all in 2002 under Haslett the Saints started 6-1 I believe and ended up to finish 9-7. So you really can't count your chickens before they hatch. Although I believe this is a different team with different coaches, that have the type of veteran leadership to avoid that kind of letdown. Although anything can happen in football.

Regarding Atlanta; I think they are dangerous. Turner/White/Gonzalez is a deadly trio that can hurt you Offensively... I feel Defensively that group is overachieving... I think there are some weaknesses in that Defense that the teams they have faced haven't really been able to truly take advantage of yet. Particularly their Corners in coverage.. but props to their coaching staff for getting it done.

just some general football observations..

Really a big part of a Quarterback's job is done before the snap... and what truly separates average QB's nowadays, from great ones is what they do at the Line of scrimmage. They have to be patient and work the snap count to see what looks the Defense is giving, (because rarely often Defenses stay in the same alignment from the moment they get lined up.. atleast the good ones don't). They have to identify where the possible blitzers might be coming from and adjust the protection accordingly, also they have to locate the Safeties to get an idea of what the coverage is going to be. Is it 2 deep? is one Safety coming up in the box? this way they can audible either to the run or pass to take advantage.. and get their teams out of a bad play call... I mean obviously you can make great pre-snap reads, and adjustments at the line but if you can't execute the throw after the snap it's all for nothing.... but really a huge part of a QBs job is done before they even hike the ball.

10-19-2009, 01:40 PM
I have always liked Jay Cutler: sure he makes a lot of stupid decisions, at the end of the day though he makes a lot more plays that can win games. He is who he is, he would be Ben Roethlisberger if he was in the same situation.

Yeah, he isn't perfect by any means, but as a Broncos fan I ALWAYS had faith that if the defense could at least keep it close, Jay would give us a chance to win the game at the end. And he almost always did. He did it last night too, but Pace ****** up. Based on how Pace just fell forward, it looked like a sneak, which, right after a spike would get them 3 shots at the endzone.

I still think Bears make the playoffs. Looking at it, I see:

Saints
Giants
Vikings
Cardinals
Falcons
Bears

I think the only other teams with shots at making it are Philly, Dallas and SF, but if SF makes it, they're knocking AZ out and not Chicago.

DeCrunkMAn
10-19-2009, 02:21 PM
This just in:

The NFL has decided that no team shall go winless in 2009, so the Titans, Bucs and Rams have changed their schedules to play th Washington Redskins.

That is all.

Shiver
10-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I think the wild-card race already looks exciting. The AFC spot is wide open and I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Houston, Miami or San Diego gets hot and makes it in over Cincinnati and Baltimore, who have tough schedules and might lose the battle of attrition.

As for the NFC here I agree with SABF. (acronym lol)

Rosebud
10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
While I like Cutler more than I do Rodgers, I still have more trust in that packers team than the bears. I've got the eagles and falcons as my two playoff teams from the NFC, but if one of those two slips I think it'll be the packers, then the cowboys, then bears and then the 9ers, who step up into that spot.

10-19-2009, 02:43 PM
While I like Cutler more than I do Rodgers, I still have more trust in that packers team than the bears. I've got the eagles and falcons as my two playoff teams from the NFC, but if one of those two slips I think it'll be the packers, then the cowboys, then bears and then the 9ers, who step up into that spot.

IMO the problem with the pack is their offensive line is ABYSMAL. I can't see them winning big games down the stretch with such a terrible terrible offensive line. It's the worst OL I've ever seen on a playoff contender.

Shiver
10-19-2009, 02:46 PM
But is the Bears' line much better?

awfullyquiet
10-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Are you serious? After a game in week 6 you think you know the Super Bowl game? How'd that Giants/Titans Super Bowl go last year?

Wasn't a bad guess. I'm sure your guess wasn't any better Jugs.

Gay Ork Wang
10-19-2009, 02:51 PM
well even though our line is really horrible, i think we still have the 2nd best line, only by default

10-19-2009, 03:08 PM
But is the Bears' line much better?

It's a little better, but with Cutler's elusiveness, it's much more effective.

A look at big performers against GB:

Julian Peterson 2.5 sacks.
Adewale Ogunleye 2.0 sacks.
Antwan Odom 5.0(!) sacks.
Jared Allen 4.5(!) sacks.
Leonard Little 2.0 sacks.

Someone has racked up at least 2 sacks in every single Packers game this season.

For the Bears
Cullen Jenkins and Brandon Chillar both had 1 sack week 1.
Week 2 2 other players had 1 sack each. Neither of them were Harrison or Woodley.
Week 3, yet again 2 players with 1 sack each.
Week 4, yet again 2 players with 1 sack each.
Week 6, 3 players in on the sack party, 1 player had 1 sack, 2 had 0.5.

So the Bears have allowed 2 sacks per game, total. Packers have yielded at least 2 sacks by one player in every single game. Allowing those kinds of sacks just kills offenses, and I don't think they can keep beating teams with that happening. Jay had the worst game of his career week 1 and the Bears still almost pulled it out. The Packers other 2 wins? Rams and Lions.

scottyboy
10-19-2009, 03:19 PM
2 things: I loved Decoud in the draft, glad to hear he's playing well.

and to answer your question, how many saw Raymell baby being THIS good?
the answer: Me. and giantsfan1080. and BBD <3 and me.

CC.SD
10-19-2009, 03:24 PM
2 things: I loved Decoud in the draft, glad to hear he's playing well.

and to answer your question, how many saw Raymell baby being THIS good?
the answer: Me. and giantsfan1080. and me.

Don't forget you.

scottyboy
10-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Don't forget you.

dammit, I knew i was forgetting someone. good catch

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 03:31 PM
How could you forget me Scotty? </3

JT Jag
10-19-2009, 03:31 PM
i don't get it. so you hit on 4 picks out of 10, with 2 in the first, 3rd and 5th? yippee?How you REALLY build a team:

Draft bookend offensive tackles in the first and second, draft franchise NT and CBs in the third, and bring in an all-around offensive weapon in the 5th.

Oh, and also draft a potential future pro-bowl calibur TE in the 6th. He's not there yet, but he's shown good signs.

The Jaguars offense is a franchise QB and some young talent in the interior O-line away from being elite. Weird to say that, but true.

CC.SD
10-19-2009, 03:32 PM
dammit, I knew i was forgetting someone. good catch

Here to help, it's the least I can do after how wet Mr. Rice made me yesterday. Nice highstep.

Gay Ork Wang
10-19-2009, 03:33 PM
How you REALLY build a team:

Draft bookend offensive tackles in the first and second, draft franchise NT and CBs in the third, and bring in an all-around offensive weapon in the 5th.

Oh, and also draft a potential future pro-bowl calibur TE in the 6th. He's not there yet, but he's shown good signs.

The Jaguars offense is a franchise QB and some young talent in the interior O-line away from being elite. Weird to say that, but true.
the real masterplan:

1. Trade two first round picks for a young pro bowl QB
2. ?????
3. Profit

Shiver
10-19-2009, 03:36 PM
I always liked Rice, just didn't think he would this good. Right now I would only take Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson over him at the RB position.

scottyboy
10-19-2009, 03:37 PM
How could you forget me Scotty? </3

i haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about

CC.SD
10-19-2009, 03:39 PM
I always liked Rice, just didn't think he would this good. Right now I would only take Adrian Peterson and Chris Johnson over him at the RB position.

Quite a statement Shiv but I suppose if you factor in age you can definitely make that argument right now.

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 03:41 PM
i haven't the slightest idea of what you're talking about

http://www.dahmus.org/blogimg/fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

;)

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 03:42 PM

oooooooo, i don't know. i love me some ray rice, and he's the complete package, but let's not forget he's running behind the best oline in football right now.

Shiver
10-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Quite a statement Shiv but I suppose if you factor in age you can definitely make that argument right now.

Yeah because if I could I would take Steven Jackson; unfortunately he is wasting away in St Louis watching his best years pass him by.

Maurice Jones-Drew is another contender, but can he hold up with all the touches he is getting now? I liked him a lot better in tandem with Fred Taylor.

Ronnie Brown is playing amazing only for a contract. After this year I don't see him making much of an impact.

soybean
10-19-2009, 03:46 PM
Frank Gore when healthy is amazing as well.

BmoreBlackByrdz
10-19-2009, 03:52 PM
oooooooo, i don't know. i love me some ray rice, and he's the complete package, but let's not forget he's running behind the best oline in football right now.

I wouldn't say there the best, they are definitely one of the best, but I would say Denver's is probably #1, but when we get Jared Gaither back, look out.

CC.SD

Too many health issues to take over some of these guys, though I definitely agree. MoJo is the only real argument I can come up with here since I'm not the biggest Jackson worshipper.

scottyboy
you know if i said that, i'd be getting ridiculed for being a homer...i'm still a homer...but still

CC.SD
10-19-2009, 03:57 PM
you know if i said that, i'd be getting ridiculed for being a homer...i'm still a homer...but still

Wow we now have scotty on record worried about appearing to be a homer. Amazing stuff.

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Just wait till Mohammed Sanu takes the NFL by storm.

RU orgasm*

Splat
10-19-2009, 04:01 PM

My FF team is just waiting to unleash the beast.

Bengalsrocket
10-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Rice is good, but I still think I'd rather have AP, Chris Johnson, Turner, Gore, Mojo, DeAngelo Williams and possibly Leon Washington. Rice is definitely equal or really close to most of these guys though.

JT Jag
10-19-2009, 04:03 PM
Too many health issues to take over some of these guys, though I definitely agree. MoJo is the only real argument I can come up with here since I'm not the biggest Jackson worshipper.Here's a theoretical.

What if the Colts had drafted Maurice Drew in 2006 instead of Joseph Addai, as they seriously considered doing?

He would have been PERFECT for their offense. Running against five or six men in the box every play? I'd say 1,400 yards rushing and 700 yards receiving every year.

49ersfan_87
10-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Yeah because if I could I would take Steven Jackson; unfortunately he is wasting away in St Louis watching his best years pass him by.

Steven Jackson needs to be traded, the Rams are obviously rebuilding and it could be years before the Rams get competitive. Jackson's in his prime and should be traded, but it's hard to think of a trade partner.

BmoreBlackByrdz
10-19-2009, 04:21 PM
Here's a theoretical.

What if the Colts had drafted Maurice Drew in 2006 instead of Joseph Addai, as they seriously considered doing?

He would have been PERFECT for their offense. Running against five or six men in the box every play? I'd say 1,400 yards rushing and 700 yards receiving every year.

oh my god, that would be so unfair yet so fun to watch. but for the sake of the Ravens and any other team in the league; Thank god that never happened.

BlindSite
10-19-2009, 04:38 PM
The thing about Running backs is so many are average getting those four and give yard carries that are so important to offensive production, they'll tick away with 2 and 3 yard carries and then bust a big gain late in the game, good enough for the stat page sure, but Ray Rice is one of those guys who's perfect in the 3/4/5 yard carries and though he's not got tremendous breakaway speed he'll hit long enough and hard enough to pick up the few extra yards offenses need to be more efficient.

I'm happy with the guys we have and there's definitely better backs in the NFL, but if I've got one series and I need to get consistent production out of a back there's few in the NFL that I see who're better in that area of gaining "good" production consistently.

awfullyquiet
10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Steven Jackson needs to be traded, the Rams are obviously rebuilding and it could be years before the Rams get competitive. Jackson's in his prime and should be traded, but it's hard to think of a trade partner.

eh...

I'm gonna go on a limb and say:

Indy, Giants, NE and GB are the only teams that'd have more use from sjax than the rams.

Because most of the teams that have bad RB's have plenty more problems.

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 05:03 PM
The thing about Running backs is so many are average getting those four and give yard carries that are so important to offensive production, they'll tick away with 2 and 3 yard carries and then bust a big gain late in the game, good enough for the stat page sure, but Ray Rice is one of those guys who's perfect in the 3/4/5 yard carries and though he's not got tremendous breakaway speed he'll hit long enough and hard enough to pick up the few extra yards offenses need to be more efficient.

I'm happy with the guys we have and there's definitely better backs in the NFL, but if I've got one series and I need to get consistent production out of a back there's few in the NFL that I see who're better in that area of gaining "good" production consistently.

I personally think D. Williams is the 2nd best RB in the league. Its not his fault his offense is abysmal this year. Put him on the Ravens and he'd be toe to toe with Adrian Peterson imo.

soybean
10-19-2009, 05:14 PM
I personally think D. Williams is the 2nd best RB in the league. Its not his fault his offense is abysmal this year. Put him on the Ravens and he'd be toe to toe with Adrian Peterson imo.

i agree. the thing with peterson is that his rookie season was SO good, that we put him on an ungodly pedestal.

Granted, he is still the best rb in the league, but the gap isn't as big as people think.

Deangelo Williams is fast, elusive, can catch out of the backfield. The panthers just have horrible play calling and don't give him the ball enough.

Don't sleep on J-stew though. If he was on a different legitimate team, he'd be a top 10 rb as well.

Dam8610
10-19-2009, 05:21 PM
I'll add something about the MNF game, but I have a lot on my agenda tomorrow so I figure I will post something now:

It Is Early, Yet..

The Saints are the best team in the NFL. The Colts are right up there with them, but I would give the Saints the edge because they have a much better running game and the defense is playing a little better. This team has impressed me much more than the 2006 team that went to the NFCCG.

What I like is they've shown they can win with defense and a running game and they don't rely on Brees slinging it around, although they are fine doing that. Pierre Thomas has been quietly becoming one of the NFL's best backs. They need to keep feeding him the ball and with him, Bell and Bush they should be able to grind out a lot of wins.

With that being said: They still have two games against a 4-1 Atlanta Falcons team that lost its only game to a strong Patriots team in Foxboro. I've said it before, I think the two games could amount to 150 total points. Both defenses are opportunistic and certainly both offenses are legit.

There is still a long way to go, but as of this moment the Saints are the front-runners.

The Saints defense is playing better than the currently 2nd ranked defense in the NFL in terms of points allowed? I have to strongly disagree with this statement. Give Peyton Manning a defense that only allows the opponent 14 points per game, as his is currently, and the Colts are going to win quite a bit of the time considering they're currently 49-0 with Peyton Manning under center when allowing 14 points or fewer. I would say the Colts defense is playing at a much higher level than the Saints defense. That doesn't make the Colts the better team, they just currently have the better defense IMO. Right now I'd also say the Saints offense is playing noticeably better than the Colts offense, so it kind of evens out. That said, it would be fun to watch a game between the two.

The Arizona Cardinals made it to their first Super Bowl and nearly won it. They started slow and a lot of us chalked it up to the SB losers curse. Now they are tied for the division lead and I would give them the advantage going forward. Kurt Warner, contrary to what I thought, has maintained an elite level of play and I trust him over Shaun Hill in a tight division race. The run defense has played exceptionally well and if they could get Beanie Wells going (he is stuck in a Mendenhall like purgatory) they could really go off.

It would take a lot for me to believe that Kurt Warner still has whatever magic he found in the late 90s/early 00s. They may be able to win the NFC West and make another run (though I'd watch out for the 49ers), but I think they're roughly the same team they were last year, which was at times one of the league's best, but more often sporadic and unpredictable.

Now we will see a transition from Ron Jaworski's incoherent rambling about Brady's struggles to Ron Jaworski's incoherent rambling about his successes. At the end of the day I don't think anything was wrong with him to begin with. He has had some tough match-ups and has had struggles with the line in front of him. The Titans secondary, however, is the cure to all passing game woes.

I would say that New England is a team that is very dangerous. I know people have talked about the Broncos and Colts as being front-runners, if I were them however I would be terrified of facing New England in the playoffs. They are not quite as good as they were in 2007, they are probably better than they were in 2004 and 2005 though.

Better than 04 or 05? I'd like to see their defense face a real challenge that isn't a sophomore QB having a bad day before I said anything like that. Why should the Broncos fear them? They've already beaten them. I'm looking forward to the usual sweeps matchup this year, but the Colts are consistently getting pressure on opposing QBs. If that continues, they should be able to shut down the Patriots offense, as that's been their weakness all season thus far. That said, I'm glad the Colts currently have a 2 game advantage on them, but no moreso than I am that they have a 2 game advantage on the Steelers and Chargers.

The NFC Least

This division has imploded thus far. What has happened, I think, is all the teams were forced into making high risk maneuvers to stay competitive with one another and it hasn't paid off. Only the Giants stuck with their draft philosophy to fill their needs and it is no coincidence that they are the best team in the division. When will teams learn not to rely on big acquisitions? In a high pressure media environment with high expectations it is hard to resist the temptation to trade for a Roy Williams or sign an Albert Haynesworth.

These teams just are not consistently good football teams. The Eagles can look great, then they go out and lose to the hapless Raiders. The Cowboys barely beat the Chiefs before the bye week off of the gift of two missed tackles by Mike Brown. The Redskins cannot even eek out a winning record against winless teams. I think it is safe to say that the NFC North and South are superior divisions right now.

The Eagles had a bad week, I still think they have all the pieces to compete in the postseason. Other than that, I agree though.

Rice, not Lewis. It has been an interesting thing to watch the Ravens become an offensive football team; but when you have Ray Rice and Joe Flacco, why not? I have not seen a RB with that kind of balance in a long time, he just keeps upright and moving forward. Right now he is on pace for a 1,176 yard rushing, 867 yards receiving and 10 touchdowns. Behind that O-Line and with the weather going south soon I see no reason he won't meet those numbers. I know many liked Rice coming out of Rutgets, I know I did, but how many people saw him being this good?

Scotty and...

Missed Opportunities

The Houston Texans were a sexy pick as a playoff team this year. They should be in the hunt, but due to a few mistakes they are still quite a ways behind. Matt Schaub has become a legitimate NFL QB and as long as he stays healthy the Texans can score with the best of them. Unfortunately the run defense took a while to appear, they have been strong in the last two games though. But the biggest problem is their running game; Chris Brown (he's still in the league?) single-handedly lost two games at the goal line, Steve Slaton hasn't been nearly as effective as he was as a rookie and they have shown no signs of life in that facet of the game. They were two plays away from being 5-1, but now they are 3-3 and have an uphill path to the playoffs.

The Texans have actually surprised me thus far, but they seem to be becoming what the Jacksonville Jaguars were a few years ago, the team that flashes a ton of potential but makes dumb mistakes that cost them and winds up on the outside looking in.

1. Matt Ryan -I don't really need to go into too much depth into why this was a great pick. He wildly out-performed my expectations for him, especially when it comes to his intelligence and arm strength.

1. Sam Baker - Has been stellar at LT, very balanced in all facets of the game. It sure doesn't seem like his "short" arms have impacted his performance.

2. Curtis Lofton - Has been phenomenal at MLB and has really come along this year. He hasn't had the best NT in front of him either.

3. Harry Douglas - Tore his ACL, but was an exciting weapon as a rookie and should be a great slot receiver once he comes back.

3. Thomas Decoud - Has been a big surprise for us. He has been very good in both coverage and in the run game.

6. Thomas Brown
7. Wilrey Fontenot
7. Keith Zinger

Good drafts usually do the trick, as do good players.

Shiver
10-19-2009, 05:39 PM
i agree. the thing with peterson is that his rookie season was SO good, that we put him on an ungodly pedestal.

Granted, he is still the best rb in the league, but the gap isn't as big as people think.

Deangelo Williams is fast, elusive, can catch out of the backfield. The panthers just have horrible play calling and don't give him the ball enough.

Don't sleep on J-stew though. If he was on a different legitimate team, he'd be a top 10 rb as well.

If the Panthers had a QB how amazing could they be? I like DeAngelo Williams a lot actually. He is very well rounded and can be downright unstoppable as he showed last year.

Tier 1

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Chris Johnson
3. Ray Rice
4. Steven Jackson
5. Maurice Jones-Drew
6. DeAngelo Williams
7. Frank Gore
8. Ronnie Brown

BlindSite
10-19-2009, 05:52 PM

The scary thing is Williams is actually ahead of his production at this point in the season last year.

As mentioned though Delhomme is a serious handicap.

10-19-2009, 06:17 PM
The scary thing is Williams is actually ahead of his production at this point in the season last year.

As mentioned though Delhomme is seriously handicapped.

Fixed it for ya.

BlindSite
10-19-2009, 06:19 PM
It works either way. Part of me wonders, if he continues throwing 1 TD for every 2 INTs, why not just let Matt Moore have a shot? Even if he is as bad, at least he is learning and we can see what we have in him.

CC.SD
10-19-2009, 06:23 PM
It works either way. Part of me wonders, if he continues throwing 1 TD for every 2 INTs, why not just let Matt Moore have a shot? Even if he is as bad, at least he is learning and we can see what we have in him.

Because Delhomme inexplicably has a brand spankin new contract.

BlindSite
10-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Yeah, he's not on huge money though and his hit over the next few years is less than it would've been otherwise.

d34ng3l021
10-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Great write up. I have to give major props to Joe Flacco and the Baltimore offense in their game against the Vikings. Its not too often that a team can come into MIN and score 30+ against a Viking defense that has been dominant during the season. If they could have found a way to keep Rex Ryan, Newsome could continue drafting well and the defense would be back at the top within a couple of years, with Flacco & Rice firing on all cylinders on the other side (with Gaither and Oher blocking. thank god the Ravens are in the AFC) - that is a scary thought. As much as I love Ryan, I really can't get enough of Flacco right now.

The Falcons defense isn't eye popping, but like last year, they are doing a great job of bending but not breaking. Against a cup cake schedule, the Falcons D ranked 24th in yards given up but 11th in points given up. So far this year, the D ranks 23rd in yards given up, and a very impressive 4th in points given up per game (15.4). The competition has been decent, as they have gone to NE (struggling Brady) and faced Cutler off of a bye. I don't know how long this defense can keep up, but until it gets more talent (couple more drafts from TD...), Mike Smith and BVG are doing a great job hiding deficiencies while not giving up huge points.

Vox Populi
10-19-2009, 07:30 PM
Speaking of how awesome Ray Rice is... I'm feeling pretty good about me picking Sidney Rice is looking like he's putting things together now. I said he had the potential to be the 2nd best pro out of his draft class behind Megatron. Obviously hes been shown up by Bowe, Smith, Breaston probably, but he was only a RS So when he came out and I think he still can be a great receiver. His length and leaping ability is so good. Hopefully with having a better quarterback now in Favre (and hopefully someone else whose not terrible in the future) he can prove me right. I was all over him that year as a prospect.

Ravens1991
10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Great write up. I have to give major props to Joe Flacco and the Baltimore offense in their game against the Vikings. Its not too often that a team can come into MIN and score 30+ against a Viking defense that has been dominant during the season. If they could have found a way to keep Rex Ryan, Newsome could continue drafting well and the defense would be back at the top within a couple of years, with Flacco & Rice firing on all cylinders on the other side (with Gaither and Oher blocking. thank god the Ravens are in the AFC) - that is a scary thought. As much as I love Ryan, I really can't get enough of Flacco right now.

I would give my left nut if Ryan can somehow come back to baltimore this defense is horrible. Ozzie has built the offense very good now he has to go rebuild the deffense. I agree I think Flacco is better(homerism all the way but who cares) but both will be very good for a very long time so ya cant complain.

Rosebud
10-19-2009, 07:46 PM
I would give my left nut if Ryan can somehow come back to baltimore this defense is horrible. Ozzie has built the offense very good now he has to go rebuild the deffense. I agree I think Flacco is better(homerism all the way but who cares) but both will be very good for a very long time so ya cant complain.

I feel exactly the same way about Spags and Reece as you do about Ozzie and Ryan, with a true NT and LB who can cover as well as blitz Spags would be doing scary thigns with this defense.

D-Unit
10-19-2009, 08:05 PM
It's nice to hear thoughts that are well put together even if I don't agree all the time, it's nice to read.

It Is Early, Yet..

I have to disagree about the running game. This team is still all about the pass. If Brees were to go down, the running game wouldn't be able to carry the load. If you wanna call it improved, I guess since Deuce was such a has been. Bell is nothing special though and Bush is still only effective in space as a check down receiver or running East-West. The Saints are a popular pick right now, but I still think they lack substance. The Cardinals and Patriots have proved that you need more than just a passing game and anabove average D. ...as they have had both and not won. Passing games get you attention in the regular season, but in the playoffs, you need D and a run game.

Reason why we forgot about them is because they haven't earned real respect yet. 2nd place finishers never do. For all the fans who think playoff wins are nice. They are, but they don't get you real respect until you get a ring.

I agree. Nothing was ever wrong with him. You don't just discredit a guy like Brady. If there were ever any doubters... Shame on you.

The NFC Least

Bad week for the NFC East, but "imploded"? Nah, you will still see NY and Philly beat up on other teams pretty badly as the season progresses. Dallas might have a great game here and there. Redskins are done.

The Roy Williams trade gets bashed, but do they really go into 2009 with Patrick Crayton and Miles Austin as thier starters? TO would be gone w/ or w/out the trade, imo. His time was up. The coaching staff could no longer take it. If the Boys relied on the draft to fill WR, that would've been a riskier proposition. Maybe the mistake was trading for the wrong WR. I could see that logic, but I would always prefer established veterans ahead of rookies. Jerry has shown that too... Keyshawn, Terry Glenn, TO... and now Roy. The only other FAs brought in were Sensabaugh, Brooking and Olshansky. Cheap and playing well other than Sensy (hurt). The Boys only 2 loses were a close 33-31 lose to NY and failure to score on the goaline against the Broncos. Don't say the word "imploded" just yet. We're still figuring things out.

Actually, I'd like to say that I always thought he'd be this good. scottyboy can atest. I loved Ray Ray.

Missed Opportunities

Same 'ole, Same 'ole. The "New" Cardinals? Remember how everyone used to think that about them?

6. Thomas Brown
7. Wilrey Fontenot
7. Keith Zinger

I think you're missing one... Michael Turner.

Lofton almost cost them the game yesterday, but yeah, gotta applaud him stepping up in his role and as a leader.

Jughead10
10-19-2009, 11:31 PM

I'm not sure if it's Ryan coming back or not. You lost too much on defense and replaced it with not nearly enough talent. Ryan just lost to one of the worst offenses in the NFL. I'm not sure he's the difference in your defense not being up to snuff.

Ravens1991
10-19-2009, 11:40 PM
we lost Scott and Leonhard, I think there would have been a good shot scott comes back if Ryan stayed here, he is big on loyalty and all that. We would have had to let Leonhard go, we have a lot of young talent of D Nakamura is looking impressive and Zbi is nice as well, we thought Landry would come back to his pre injury form so that would be a down grade. We got Kelly Gregg back who would improve the d-line rotation Rex used. Granted we might not have been the 2nd best defense but it would be a considerable improvement of the clusterf*** we have now. It seems like our swagger and identity left w/ Rex. Rex was firey physical and intense we saw that last year, Mattison is old bland and doesnt have 1/2 the intensity, we see that this year.

Shiver
10-19-2009, 11:42 PM
It's nice to hear thoughts that are well put together even if I don't agree all the time, it's nice to read.

I have to disagree about the running game. This team is still all about the pass. If Brees were to go down, the running game wouldn't be able to carry the load. If you wanna call it improved, I guess since Deuce was such a has been. Bell is nothing special though and Bush is still only effective in space as a check down receiver or running East-West. The Saints are a popular pick right now, but I still think they lack substance. The Cardinals and Patriots have proved that you need more than just a passing game and anabove average D. ...as they have had both and not won. Passing games get you attention in the regular season, but in the playoffs, you need D and a run game.

I would take Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell and Reggie Bush over Donald Brown and Joseph Addai. Most importantly I would take the Saints' run blocking over the Colts. That gives them the slight edge to me.

Reason why we forgot about them is because they haven't earned real respect yet. 2nd place finishers never do. For all the fans who think playoff wins are nice. They are, but they don't get you real respect until you get a ring.

That is true and even if they make it too the playoffs they will be underdogs in every game they play. I still wouldn't sleep on them though.

I agree. Nothing was ever wrong with him. You don't just discredit a guy like Brady. If there were ever any doubters... Shame on you.

He's still the best, baby. I've been on the Brady is the #1 QB bandwagon since I got here in '05.

Bad week for the NFC East, but "imploded"? Nah, you will still see NY and Philly beat up on other teams pretty badly as the season progresses. Dallas might have a great game here and there. Redskins are done.

Philadelphia is missing Brian Dawkins big time. They have been annihilated by K2 and Zach Miller, Colston made his big time plays in the middle of the defense as well. Denver sure appreciates him.

The Roy Williams trade gets bashed, but do they really go into 2009 with Patrick Crayton and Miles Austin as thier starters? TO would be gone w/ or w/out the trade, imo. His time was up. The coaching staff could no longer take it. If the Boys relied on the draft to fill WR, that would've been a riskier proposition. Maybe the mistake was trading for the wrong WR. I could see that logic, but I would always prefer established veterans ahead of rookies. Jerry has shown that too... Keyshawn, Terry Glenn, TO... and now Roy. The only other FAs brought in were Sensabaugh, Brooking and Olshansky. Cheap and playing well other than Sensy (hurt). The Boys only 2 loses were a close 33-31 lose to NY and failure to score on the goaline against the Broncos. Don't say the word "imploded" just yet. We're still figuring things out.

The Roy Williams trade was bad, but I understand why they did it.

Actually, I'd like to say that I always thought he'd be this good. scottyboy can atest. I loved Ray Ray.

We as a community have excellent instincts for the RB position: Ray Rice, MJD, DeAngelo Williams. Skeptical of Reggie Bush and Darren McFadden.

Same 'ole, Same 'ole. The "New" Cardinals? Remember how everyone used to think that about them?

Yes, but the Texans have a good chance to make the playoffs. Especially since they've patched up the run defense.

I think you're missing one... Michael Turner.

Turner is very overrated. He produced last year for two reasons:

Ovie Mughelli, Justin Blalock and Harvey Dahl are beasts
The Falcons had the easiest schedule against the run (same thing for the Panthers' tandem)I wish Norwood wasn't constantly hurt, otherwise I would like to get him a higher percentage of the workload.

Shiver
10-19-2009, 11:43 PM
BTW: craziest ******* thing I have ever heard, the 49ers are benching Josh Morgan for Michael Crabtree. For real? After two weeks of practice? What message does that send to the rest of the team?

Timbathia
10-19-2009, 11:45 PM
BTW: craziest ******* thing I have ever heard, the 49ers are benching Josh Morgan for Michael Crabtree. For real? After two weeks of practice? What message does that send to the rest of the team?

That Josh Morgan isnt very good?

Shiver
10-19-2009, 11:47 PM
That Josh Morgan isnt very good?

He is the only 49er receiver with a TD, he is their best guy sad to say. The point is that Crabtree already had an entitlement issue and apparently the 49ers are enabling it.

Jughead10
10-19-2009, 11:52 PM
we lost Scott and Leonhard, I think there would have been a good shot scott comes back if Ryan stayed here, he is big on loyalty and all that. We would have had to let Leonhard go, we have a lot of young talent of D Nakamura is looking impressive and Zbi is nice as well, we thought Landry would come back to his pre injury form so that would be a down grade. We got Kelly Gregg back who would improve the d-line rotation Rex used. Granted we might not have been the 2nd best defense but it would be a considerable improvement of the clusterf*** we have now. It seems like our swagger and identity left w/ Rex. Rex was firey physical and intense we saw that last year, Mattison is old bland and doesnt have 1/2 the intensity, we see that this year.

I think you still have a swagger. But that same old swagger cost you 15 yards and probably the game two weeks ago against Cinci. McCallister and Rolle got old and the guys you replaced them with aren't very good. Thats the main problem. Reed can't blitz or play the run anymore and the linebacking core hasn't been quite as good. Pryce has been terrible as well.

That swagger is overrated. Rex and Bart Scott brought that attitude to NY and are getting killed for having a big mouth and not backing it up.

Ravens1991
10-19-2009, 11:59 PM
true we have seen that w/ scott sometimes in Bmore but it shows we are missing him desperately, he was a complete LB and willing to take on blocker so Ray can get all th glory.

Also in 2006 when Cmac and Rolle were in there primes they were very good. I agree we need to get more physical in the secondary, also this pass rush is terrible we dont get pressure w/ our front 4 and when we blitz everyone knows who is coming so the QB can prepare for it.

and about that hit yea it was dumb by Ray but at points this season it looks like he is the only one who cares on D

Timbathia
10-20-2009, 10:14 PM
He is the only 49er receiver with a TD, he is their best guy sad to say. The point is that Crabtree already had an entitlement issue and apparently the 49ers are enabling it.

The 49ers can win the division. I guess they want to give Crabtree as many games as possible to see if he can help them come playoff time. I dont like him, but if they want to explore every avenue available to help them win then I suppose they have to throw him in soon.

CC.SD
10-20-2009, 10:20 PM
Let's not pretend like Josh Morgan won't see the field. This just means Crabtree is going to one weapon in there stable. I remain very confident in the 9ers.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-21-2009, 05:10 AM
that's not the point. the header was "how to build a top flight team". hitting on a couple of draft picks a year isn't really representative of that. especially when, in my very limited opinion, the biggest reason for their success last year was a free agent.

Also, there's a difference between hitting in the draft "ex. getting a solid starter" and getting a franchise QB and getting 2 very very good players at extremely important positions.

Gay Ork Wang
10-21-2009, 06:53 AM
ah. so they've gone from good, to very good, to very very good. are they future locks for the hall of fame to the next atlanta fan who posts? :rolleyes:
they are locks for the HoF

10-21-2009, 07:57 AM
they are locks for the HoF

I don't want to hear any sarcasm associated with Matt Ryan if he in fact is one of the players your post is directed towards. You got that? THE. NEXT. PEYTON. MANNING.

Alright, I think you got that.

Gay Ork Wang
10-21-2009, 07:59 AM
Peyton Manning was only a beta version of Matt Ryan. He is the update

awfullyquiet
10-21-2009, 09:11 AM
it's not Ryan's fault he fell into a good position...