PDA

View Full Version : Jets DT Kris Jenkins & Seahawks LB Lofa Tatupu out for rest of the year

KCJ58
10-19-2009, 12:13 PM
meant to put "Seahawks LB Lofa..."

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/19/jets-jenkins-out-for-season-with-knee-injury/

Kris Jenkins out with a knee injury

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8138085f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Lofa Tatupu out with a torn left pectoral muscle.

Don Vito
10-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Two big blows for those teams. That is going to be a much different Jets D without Jenkins.

Giantsfan1080
10-19-2009, 12:18 PM
The Jenkins injury is going to be a big blow to Ryan's defense. There aren't many players in the league that would be able to replace him.

Geo
10-19-2009, 12:30 PM
The Jenkins injury is huge, if that's true.

Btw, from my Week 3 Thoughts (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1814621&#post1814621):

The Jets look pretty good, but I'm still a little leery. I want to see two things: (1) how they fare after Week 4, when teams will have the four weeks' of game film on Sanchez and the rest of the team; and (2) whether Kris Jenkins can stay healthy enough for the whole season, which I personally doubt it. But they do look good, and that's with them not giving Leon Washington the ball enough so far.

Splat
10-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Falcons lose starting cornerback Williams for the season (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/19/falcons-lose-starting-cornerback-williams-for-the-season/)

LizardState
10-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Also Bengals DE Antwan Odom done for the yr, torn tendon.

He was leading the league in sacks, ex-Bama player too, awesome quickness & 1st step. Too bad, he was a major p/o the resurgent Cincy defense this yr.

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Wow, huge losses this week with Lofa, Odom and Jenkins.

The Jets season is spiraling out of control. Where's swaggerlicious Ryan now? I like the guy and his defenses, but that attitude is starting to bite him in the butt.

BmoreBlackByrdz
10-19-2009, 02:07 PM
Wow, huge losses this week with Lofa, Odom and Jenkins.

The Jets season is spiraling out of control. Where's swaggerlicious Ryan now? I like the guy and his defenses, but that attitude is starting to bite him in the butt.

hahaha, very true, I can't wait to see his reaction if the Patriots beat em.

DoughBoy
10-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Also Bengals DE Antwan Odom done for the yr, torn tendon.

He was leading the league in sacks, ex-Bama player too, awesome quickness & 1st step. Too bad, he was a major p/o the resurgent Cincy defense this yr.

Thats the Odom I remember. Freak athlete, good player, injury prone to the max.

DeCrunkMAn
10-19-2009, 02:29 PM
man this was bad IR weekend for everyone. *cross fingers so L.T. doesnt get hurt tonight*

wait what?

CC.SD
10-19-2009, 03:17 PM
man this was bad IR weekend for everyone. *cross fingers so L.T. doesnt get hurt tonight*

wait what?

Don't worry I've got this one perpetually covered.

Staubach12
10-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Didn't we have an injury thread last year?

Malaka
10-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Damn that sucks, huge blow for the Jets, and in a weak NFC West the Seahawks had a chance, and with Lofa Tatutpu out that really hurts.

Rosebud
10-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Damn that sucks, huge blow for the Jets, and in a weak NFC West the Seahawks had a chance, and with Lofa Tatutpu out that really hurts.

I dunno about that one, seahawks were clearly behind the 9ers and cards in my book. No running game, bad oline, merely solid receiving core and the one QB who likes to get injured more than Donovan McNabb. The defense was solid, but that offense is bad. 9ers are not explosive themselves but their passing game is somewhat competent and they've got Gore, which added to their far superior coaching and better D makes them a notably better team.

Hurricanes25
10-19-2009, 04:18 PM
That is a major blow to the Jets defense. He is the only consistent player on the d-line. Teams are going to have a field day running up the middle with Sione Pouha playing NT.

D-Unit
10-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm wondering if Kris Jenkins' career as he knew it is now over.

Cicero
10-19-2009, 04:22 PM
2 years in a row of being decimated by injuries wooooohooooo!

BlindSite
10-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Jenkins is a huge loss, I remember he how integral he was in Carolina when on field, let alone how massively important he is in Ryan's 34. Any chance of them finding anyone to replace him on their current roster?

Hurricanes25
10-19-2009, 04:36 PM
Jenkins is a huge loss, I remember he how integral he was in Carolina when on field, let alone how massively important he is in Ryan's 34. Any chance of them finding anyone to replace him on their current roster?

Sione Pouha will most likely be the starter but he is nothing special. Like I said earlier, opposing teams will have field days running inside on us.

BlindSite
10-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Sione Pouha will most likely be the starter but he is nothing special. Like I said earlier, opposing teams will have field days running inside on us.

I know what that's like.

I can't see anyone on the free agent list who'd be able to fill the gap either. With Sanchez going through a funk, week 2 looks like night and day compared to the future for the Jets.

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
I wonder if Rex will now run a hybrid 4-3 with Jenkins gone. He has no NT to replace him that I can think of.

They wouldn't look that bad up front in a 4-3 scheme.

Basileus777
10-19-2009, 05:04 PM
The Jets run defense already shaky, and without Jenkins their blitz packages are going to be much easier to pick up, especially inside blitzes. I say that about does it for the Jets season.

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 05:08 PM
The Jets run defense already shaky, and without Jenkins their blitz packages are going to be much easier to pick up, especially inside blitzes. I said that about does it for the Jets season.

what if they go 4-3?

I think the Jets blitzes are starting to get picked up bc theres only so much you can do blitzing all the time. If you don't have a quality pass rusher that can help 4 man rushes, youll get exposed sooner or later, and thats happening to the Jets right now.

Time for Gholston to wake up.

Basileus777
10-19-2009, 05:13 PM
what if they go 4-3?

I think the Jets blitzes are starting to get picked up bc theres only so much you can do blitzing all the time. If you don't have a quality pass rusher that can help 4 man rushes, youll get exposed sooner or later, and thats happening to the Jets right now.

Going to a 4-3 may help, but as you have indicated, the Jets don't really have the pass rushers to get pressure with a four man rush. Harris and Pace would also be terrible in coverage as 4-3 OLBers. I think they're in trouble either way.

Cicero
10-19-2009, 05:59 PM

Jenkins is one of the few elite NTs in the league, there is just no way you can completely replace him.

CC.SD
10-19-2009, 06:02 PM
It's true, and ugly to watch.

Shiver
10-19-2009, 06:05 PM
what if they go 4-3?

It is never going to happen. I cannot believe so many people fell for Gholston when he came out. I'm not sure what you thought of him, I know I hated him and thought he was a Mike Mamula.

Splat
10-19-2009, 06:27 PM
Tatupu's season may not be done yet (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/19/tatupus-season-may-not-be-done-yet/)

bigbluedefense
10-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Going to a 4-3 may help, but as you have indicated, the Jets don't really have the pass rushers to get pressure with a four man rush. Harris and Pace would also be terrible in coverage as 4-3 OLBers. I think they're in trouble either way.

Wouldn't Harris play MIKE and Scott play WILL?

Harris would be fine as a 4-3 MIKE. He'd be a run thumper. Your pass rush would be awful, but NE makes it work, so I don't see why the Jets can't do the same.

It is never going to happen. I cannot believe so many people fell for Gholston when he came out. I'm not sure what you thought of him, I know I hated him and thought he was a Mike Mamula.

I was actually high on him. Granted, I didn't watch much tape on him, but I had no idea he'd be this lethargic on the field. The second I saw him on the field in the NFL, i was like uh oh...this guy is bad news.

But I liked him coming out, and I thought his motor issues were overblown from what i heard/read.

He seems to be dumb as an ox. The only hope the Jets can have is that he slowly gets it together. He has shown drastic improvement from last year, but thats not saying much. I think we need another offseason from him to really stamp him officially as a bust, bc the guy is improving after all. He's just not a 3-4 guy at all.

PoopSandwich
10-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Jenkins is one of the few elite NTs in the league, there is just no way you can completely replace him.

Trade for Shaun Rogers... it's not like the Browns/Jets don't have a history of trading.

aNYtitan
10-19-2009, 08:28 PM
Ooof, all this is some big injuries to these contenders. That Jets injury is huge, the Seahawks lost their defensive captain and the Bengals lost one player behind their defensive resurgence. It really sucks all around, that Odom injury is just tough to hear but it was always a large possibility with him. And Jenkins might be done done.

Hurricanes25
10-19-2009, 08:46 PM
what if they go 4-3?

If we go to a 4-3, I think it would look something like this.

DE- Gholston and Pace
DT- Ellis and Pouha or Douglas
Will- Bart Scott
Mike- David Harris
Sam- Bryan Thomas

aNYtitan
10-19-2009, 08:50 PM

DE- Gholston and Pace
Will- Bart Scott
Mike- David Harris
Sam- Bryan Thomas

Do you think that Gholston can produce as a down lineman? Given the amount of trading, do you go after a replacement DT via trade or FA. Much better option then shifting your whole defensive scheme

Hurricanes25
10-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Do you think that Gholston can produce as a down lineman? Given the amount of trading, do you go after a replacement DT via trade or FA. Much better option then shifting your whole defensive scheme

Imo, the only way Gholston is going to produce is as a down lineman. He just can't play LB in the 34. I think he can become a very good player playing DE in a 43.

I was taking a look at some possible Free Agent NT's and lets just say that I came away very unimpressed. I don't see anybody better than we already have in Pouha.

If we do switch to the 43 for the year we can definately upgrade Sione Pouha with guys like Dewayne Robertson, Marcus Tubbs and William Joseph just to name a few.

I doubt we do switch but it would be very interesting if we did.

Edit: The Jets just resigned NT Howard Green to take over for Jenkins. It looks like we are sticking with the 34.

derza222
10-19-2009, 09:56 PM

DE- Gholston and Pace
Will- Bart Scott
Mike- David Harris
Sam- Bryan Thomas

See I don't think so, since Ellis has struggled inside quite a bit. I'd say:

DE- Ellis and Thomas (Gholston as 3rd end, Pace with his hand down on passing downs)
DT- Pouha and Douglas (DeVito and Green rotating in, maybe move Ellis or Gholston inside on passing downs)
Will- Bart Scott
Mike- David Harris
Sam- Calvin Pace

Pace always struck me as more natural playing in space and covering guys than Thomas.

Kind of moot though as I'm sure we'll stick with the 3-4. Should be interesting to see if anyone steps up to help make up for losing Jenks, though I doubt it. I like Gholston with his hand down in the 3-4 more than standing up since he does a decent job taking up blockers, but he would be interesting in the 4-3. Still don't think he'd be that good and he'll never reach his potential, but at least he's borderline functional.

wordofi
10-19-2009, 10:50 PM
meant to put "Seahawks LB Lofa..."

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/19/jets-jenkins-out-for-season-with-knee-injury/

Kris Jenkins out with a knee injury

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8138085f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Lofa Tatupu out with a torn left pectoral muscle.

Time for Aaron Curry to step up and dominate.

gsorace
10-20-2009, 11:38 AM
The Jets now have ZERO starting caliber defensive linemen.

Hurricanes25
10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
See I don't think so, since Ellis has struggled inside quite a bit. I'd say:

DE- Ellis and Thomas (Gholston as 3rd end, Pace with his hand down on passing downs)
DT- Pouha and Douglas (DeVito and Green rotating in, maybe move Ellis or Gholston inside on passing downs)
Will- Bart Scott
Mike- David Harris
Sam- Calvin Pace

Pace always struck me as more natural playing in space and covering guys than Thomas.

Kind of moot though as I'm sure we'll stick with the 3-4. Should be interesting to see if anyone steps up to help make up for losing Jenks, though I doubt it. I like Gholston with his hand down in the 3-4 more than standing up since he does a decent job taking up blockers, but he would be interesting in the 4-3. Still don't think he'd be that good and he'll never reach his potential, but at least he's borderline functional.

The only reason why I would put Pace at DE is because the Bryan Thomas at DE experiment failed years ago. I do see your point about Ellis though.

derza222
10-20-2009, 01:15 PM
The only reason why I would put Pace at DE is because the Bryan Thomas at DE experiment failed years ago. I do see your point about Ellis though.

Again moot, but Pace failed at DE too, just in Arizona. Neither one of them was great with their hand down, but I think Pace is better at linebacker which is why I'd put him there. Either way though there's going to be trouble since neither had success in the 4-3, which is probably part of the reason Ryan wants to stick to the 3-4 even without a true nose.