PDA

View Full Version : Worst job ever

roidrunner
10-19-2009, 04:29 PM
So I have a new job working for the democratic party collecting signatures for candidates who want to get on the ballot. Its an interesting job but for some reason i keep getting banned from different places in the area. Currently i am banned from Wal mart, menards, Jewel osco, Piggly Wiggly, Home Depot, the local community college and about 15 other business. Its a pretty cushy job but its just funny that i keep getting banned from places and i dont really do much. So boredom is a quite regular for me. This is one of the two worst jobs i have had the only one that seems to be worse is being the mouse at Chuck-e-cheese. Which is nothing but cleaning up after kids and getting beaten up.

So i want to know what is the worst job you have ever had?

WMD
10-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Anyone that has ever worked in fast food will have that as their worst job, guaranteed.

Splat
10-19-2009, 04:39 PM
I was working at a pizza place and they called me in one day to help unload the truck and when I got done they fired me on the spot.

"Thanks for helping us out of a jam."

"Your fired..."

It was epic...

A Perfect Score
10-19-2009, 04:56 PM
I was the clean up guy in the meat department at a grocery store. I spent 6 months picking up pig and cow guys. Nuff said.

Shane P. Hallam
10-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Worst job I ever had was my first, working at Dairy Queen. The "free ice cream" (i.e. I just took it,) was nice and all, but I was the only male there. And the main manager was a feminist. Let's just guess who had to do all the crap jobs every night :(

Borat
10-19-2009, 05:00 PM
Anyone that has ever worked in fast food will have that as their worst job, guaranteed.

Well, unless they were a jizzmopper. That would probably trump working in fast food.

Wootylicous
10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Clean up guy for a gelatin company worst job ever. Smells like **** all day and I have to clean up the freakin mess that this **** is doing.

senormysterioso
10-19-2009, 05:01 PM
tomorrow I have to assist on an autopsy...so while your bored getting signatures, you can think, at least I'm not peeling back the scalp of a dead body over its face

JT Jag
10-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Publix meat department.

The job itself wasn't that bad and my boss was a cool guy, but all of my coworkers were clinical sociopaths.

CJSchneider
10-19-2009, 05:04 PM
I was an assistant manager of a restaurant during college. Mind you I was already married and 25 with a child. There was this slutty 19 year old waitress that I refused to have anything to do with. She lied and told the owner that I had harassed her. Despite statements from other employees, the owner fired me for inappropriate manager-worker relations. The bastard fired me fired me 3 days before Christmas. Only later did I find out that the head manager had told the little trick that she was next in line for promotion to assistant manager. Friends later told me that the day she was promoted three quarters of the employees quit. Five days later she was fired for cussing out a customer. Go figure. All in all the job was pretty nice, but the manner in which I lost it made it my worst job ever.

jayceheathman
10-19-2009, 05:09 PM
I have a great job. We televise all of the NMSU sporting events for Comcast or whatever channel it happens to be on that given day. This coming weekend I got hired by ESPN to work with the production team for the New Mexico State vs Fresno State game. :) ESPNU is showing the game.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-19-2009, 05:20 PM

Someone has obviously never been a fluffer.

Brent
10-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Subway was by far the worst.

jayceheathman
10-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Subway was by far the worst.

A kid in one of my classes worked at Subway and he hated it. Customers would say they want a certain vegetable on their sandwich and then change their mind and get mad at you for putting it on. He said one guy did that to him and demanded to speak to the manager even though he did what the customer wanted. So he went into the back and grabbed a Subway hat and came back out to ask what was wrong. haha The guy got pissed off and left.

Splat
10-19-2009, 05:41 PM
The whole reason I couldn't work at Subway would be people looking over my shoulder the whole time it would creep me out.

Brent
10-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Customers would say they want a certain vegetable on their sandwich and then change their mind and get mad at you for putting it on.
So, this lady wants the onions that come on the sandwich (normally red onions) but gets mad at me for putting red onions on because she doesnt like red onions. When I was asking was veggies she wanted, she simply said "onions" not red or white. She wanted white onions, not red, then gets pissed that I didnt put on white onions. In my mind I was like, "*****, THE PICTURE BEHIND ME has red onions in it." Then she ends up complaining the rest of the time saying that I "didnt listen to what she wanted" or some ****. Whatever, the funniest thing was how many fat people came in and ate when, really, Subway is awful for you.

tjsunstein
10-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Worst job had to be a cook at a pizzeria when I was 17. The waitresses made it worth while, though.

Forenci
10-19-2009, 05:46 PM
I think my worst job was probably working at a huge book store, Borders. For someone like myself who likes to interact with people and talk, it was pretty much a job where you constantly have to alphabetize shelves of books (because people never put them back in the right spots) which was absolutely boring, and with minimal interaction with co-workers or customers.

Not to mention doing magazine strips were brutal too. They had a HUGE magazine section there and any magazines they dont sell have to have the cover stripped off so they get credit for selling it and that probably meant stripping the magazine cover off about 300 or so magazines every week. Brutally boring.

7-11
10-19-2009, 06:00 PM
I was an accountant for 12 months, that very nearly sucked the life out of me.

dabears10
10-19-2009, 06:05 PM
I was an accountant for 12 months, that very nearly sucked the life out of me.

My parents only advice on a major for college, do not become an accountant. They are both CPA's.

MidwayMonster31
10-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Anyone that has ever worked in fast food will have that as their worst job, guaranteed.I suppose working in the dishroom of a college cafeteria counts too.

7-11
10-19-2009, 06:16 PM
My parents only advice on a major for college, do not become an accountant. They are both CPA's.

Yeah the good thing was i did it in my first year of University and just took classes at night, good to know it was like death in an office before i finished a whole degree. And i rocked 38% efficiency for the entire year, was a pretty standup accountant that's for sure.

Brodeur
10-19-2009, 06:17 PM
I was working at a pizza place and they called me in one day to help unload the truck and when I got done they fired me on the spot.

"Thanks for helping us out of a jam."

"Your fired..."

It was epic...

Probably because you confused your and you're (I had to do it, sorry).

My current job blows because there's either way too much heat/no air conditioning, we have to unload trucks all goddamn day, and we have no idea when we are going to actually get out. No set ending time trumps everything else.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-19-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't mind my job. It's the only job I've ever had, but it's alright. I'm a cashier at a local grocery store. Most customers are pretty cool, and I really like the people I work with. I'm pretty good at it too, I just really don't wanna be a supervisor right now so I haven't applied for a promotion in like a year and a half. Oh, and plenty of good looking girls in my department.

Shiver
10-19-2009, 06:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJieLiOGj_M

This job wins. I used to handle this stuff when I worked at UPS, one time it leaked out of its package onto my buddy.

TitleTown088
10-19-2009, 07:00 PM
I've had the same job for 9 years and I'm only 23. How's that for a resume builder once I get out of school?

What's up with all you Canadians working in the meat industry, aye?

The Unseen
10-19-2009, 07:15 PM
I worked at a strip-mall clothing store for a year. Easy but completely boring. I found ways to cope with the boredom. I could make 2 hours pass in a flash. It required an extreme kind of mindset. Screws with your head. Plus some customers are just damn weird. A positive from the job (aside from the money) is that I can make time pass when I need to, and I also can stand on my feet for long periods of time without problems.

I only ever had one bad customer interaction (there was another, but it wasn't really directed at me). Our managers were totally strict about greeting customers. So they had people standing at doors greeting. That was my job for one day. A guy comes up to me to ask if something was in the back while I was near the front greeting. I said I'd do it. Well I also needed to greet, and there was a lady with a baby carriage who had trouble getting through the door. I was waiting for her to get inside to greet her. Before I could the guy says "Don't worry about her, your job is me now, okay?" or something like that, sounding like a total dick. So I went back to look for it, absolutely fuming at him. I laughed it off, though. Turns out we didn't have what he wanted.

In retrospect I kind of see the reason why he said it - I was standing there for a couple seconds before I could turn to go to the back. But he didn't need to be such an asshole.

roidrunner
10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
so i was going door to door today and some old lady sent her dog after me, no joke. i have never jumped a fence so quickly in my life

vikes_28
10-19-2009, 08:08 PM
I was an assistant manager of a restaurant during college. Mind you I was already married and 25 with a child. There was this slutty 19 year old waitress that I refused to have anything to do with. She lied and told the owner that I had harassed her. Despite statements from other employees, the owner fired me for inappropriate manager-worker relations. The bastard fired me fired me 3 days before Christmas. Only later did I find out that the head manager had told the little trick that she was next in line for promotion to assistant manager. Friends later told me that the day she was promoted three quarters of the employees quit. Five days later she was fired for cussing out a customer. Go figure. All in all the job was pretty nice, but the manner in which I lost it made it my worst job ever.

I actually just got fired from a job for that exact reason. This kid "reported me" but I found out that a manager that didn't like me forced him to tell on me after I said I was going to kick his ass. I resigned from the company because of unfair treatment. They were jerks, and the job sucked.

GB12
10-19-2009, 08:10 PM
I spent 6 months picking up pig and cow guys.
You would be into *** beastiality.

yo123
10-19-2009, 08:45 PM
I was a bagger at a grocery store for like 3 months, it was awful.

Now I'm a delivery guy for a sub place, and it's pretty fricken sweet. The tips are pretty decent and it's easy as hell.

SuperKevin
10-19-2009, 09:28 PM
I've loved every job I've ever had.

1 year at Blockbuster Video
2.5 years at FYE selling cds
1.5 years selling and delivering BBQ grills for my dad
3 months as a waiter
4 and a half years as a Marine

drowe
10-21-2009, 12:11 PM
I worked at a landscaping company the summer after my freshman year. besides working 60 hours a week of back-breaking labor, there was a guy that seriously resented me working there to put myself through college while he was working there as his full time job. everytime i got put on a crew with him, he spent the whole day yelling at me because he didn't think i was working hard enough. in retrospect, i'm pretty impressed with 1999 drowe's attitude. i just kept working...thinking i could work hard enough to shut this guy up. i think 2009 drowe would've made some smartass comment and slacked off just to get a reaction out of the guy.

Anway, one day, another foreman noticed how badly this dude treated me and told the boss man, and i didn't have to work with the guy anymore..but, everytime he'd see me in the nursery he'd either chew me out for not working hard enough, or tell somebody else that he caught me doing something i wasn't supposed to do.

really bad summer. i had to be in at 6:30 am...didn't get home until 7 pm. and, every day, i'd just eat and fall asleep on the couch. sunday's were my one day off and i just spent it dreading the fact that i had another 6 days of hell starting.

awfullyquiet
10-21-2009, 12:14 PM
working with investment bankers.

creepy serial killer personalities coworkers are not conducive to sleeping well.

Brent
10-21-2009, 12:15 PM
i think 2009 drowe would've made some smartass comment and slacked off just to get a reaction out of the guy.
I do that kind of crap at work because it's only a stop-gap between when I start student teaching.

drowe
10-21-2009, 12:24 PM
best job ever was my first job.

i grew up in Door County, a VERY touristy area of Wisconsin. When i was 13 i got hired (by my brother's friend's mom) to work as a housekeeper of a bed & breakfast. it had a large 'honeymoon clientel'....and let's just say i got a lot of sex ed there.

-guests answering the door naked
-edible body paint
-dildos
-whipped cream and fruit next to the bed and all over the bed sheets.
-anal beads
-and, the things these people could do to a hot tub. yikes.

one of the weirdest things was, this one time, i went in to give a room a quick cleaning and a new set of towels while the couple was out...and, they had took all the pictures we had in the room down, and replaced them with pictures of jesus. also, they brought their own VCR and had a whole collection of VHS tapes relating to Nazis. real weird stuff.

the owners of the place were a very strange homosexual couple. neither was overly flamboyant, but they were both incredibly rude to customers. they were a lot like the soup nazi from seinfeld. any complaints by a customer they felt was unwarrented, and they handed their money to 'em and told them to find somewhere else to stay. they didn't need to worry about repeat business as the place was very successful.

LizardState
10-21-2009, 12:34 PM
One of my 1st "real jobs" in an office environment with good salary was at the biggest US aerospace company.

After < a yr. our upper mgr. commanded that 100% of the employees sign up for corporate ethics training, an oxymoron if I've ever heard one. 100% of the >200 employees in the dept. signed up for it b/c they knew that upper mgr. would lose bonus $ if they didnt & those who didn't complete it would be laid off. We all completed the course & signed Ethics Declarations.

A month or so later our group mgr. called an All Hands meeting, thanked us for our ethics training participation, then took a poll on everyone's education levels & experience. Everyone with a degree or even more college hrs. or experience than he had got canned. In that world they were threats to his upward mobility. Cardboard boxes were in short supply that Friday morning (mass firings always happen on a Friday). That's corporate ethics in the real world.

The 50-hr/wk. job I had with a landscaping company in college at minimum wage that was basically digging ditches in the broiling Texas sun was more ethical & less stressful than that one.

I had another aerospace tech writer job in the 80s in Austin, best job ever in a city I absolutely loved, I got the highest annual review rating of any writer in the group & a huge 10% raise. 5 mos. later the company was stupid enough to go into litigation with the customer who was the US Govt, the Justice Dept. NEVER loses in court. The attys. got all the profits, & I was the 1st one laid off in my dept. in the 1st group of 50, followed by 100 the next wk, 150 the following wk, etc. I asked why me? & was told b/c I gave you too big a raise. My friends all called me at home that weekend asking what the severance pkg. was, when they discovered it was 4 figs, they volunteered to be laid off next before the $ ran out. Lessons learned: never be the most obvious overachiever or underachiever, there's safety in the big middle of employees who do little or nothing & the mgmt doesnt remember your face or name.

killxswitch
10-21-2009, 01:24 PM
None of my jobs have been that bad. The worst was probably fedex, where I kept getting hit in the head and almost got my leg cut off. I was going to school at the time so I would work until 3 or 4 and then have class at like 9:30 which sucked. But physically I was in great shape and the people I worked with were fun.

El Peefs?????
10-21-2009, 02:26 PM

Just about.

I did work in a bindery for awhile. That wasn't fun. 10 hour days at the end of a press, collecting stacks of books or magazines as they shot out of the machine every 10 or so seconds. Then you have to stack them, wrap them, box them, & do the next bunch over and over. It paid good so I put up with it for a summer but i couldnt do it anymore, i felt my brain dieing.

CJSchneider
10-21-2009, 02:46 PM
... i felt my brain dieing.

Looks like it killed of those cells reserved for spelling. ;)

El Peefs?????
10-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Looks like it killed of those cells reserved for spelling. ;)

Something must have went after your grammar related cells ;)

Ok so it was a cheapo. But you opened the gate Mr!

CJSchneider
10-21-2009, 04:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/AscendantJustice/FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.jpg