PDA

View Full Version : Mike Shanahan Turned Down Redskins Coaching Job

21ST
10-19-2009, 08:47 PM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/19/sources-mike-shanahan-turned-down-redskins-coaching-job/

LOL what a poorly run franchise

JFLO
10-19-2009, 08:50 PM
If I'm an available coach of Shanahan's stature then I would turn it down too. What established coach would want to take control of a team that is in the middle of a horrible season.

That team looks out of sync and unprepared week in and week out.

aNYtitan
10-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Strike 1!

Cowher next up then.

tjsunstein
10-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Shanahan to the Cowboys in 2010. Mark it down.

21ST
10-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Maybe he just wants to wait until next year

Shiver
10-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Good move on his part. If he came in mid-season the locker room would resent and reject him.

yo123
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Good move on his part. If he came in mid-season the locker room would resent and reject him.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't resent Jim Zorn right now.

tjsunstein
10-19-2009, 08:53 PM

I don't think so.

Splat
10-19-2009, 08:54 PM
Cowher next up then.

Don't get me wrong I like Cowher I really do but to me it seems the longer he is out of football the more overrated he gets.

703SKINS202
10-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Why would he accept mid-season? If he waits until the off-season at least 6 teams will need head coaches and then Shanahan can drive up a bidding war between Snyder and Jones. Its called, leverage.

diabsoule
10-19-2009, 09:18 PM

That's what I'm thinking as well.

Vox Populi
10-19-2009, 09:20 PM
I don't see why Shanahan would want the Redskins job anyways, he'll want full control over the team and to be the GM as well probably, or at least a lot more say than he'll get in a team run by Dan Snyder. Cowher seems to want the same thing with a lot of control over personnel moves so he could pass the Redskins up as well. Cowher will probably be in Carolina if they keep playing poor football and Fox gets fired based on the fact that... well... that its in Carolina lol. If Andy Reid decides to take a break from Football I think that could be a decent landing point for Shanny or Gruden.

Bills, Panthers, Redskins, Cowboys, Raiders, Jags?, Titans??, those are the coaching changes that are most possible/likely/inevitable I think. There could be someone who step down though like Reid maybe due to family problems, etc. A bunch of big name possibilities available now though with Cowher, Shanny, Gruden, Billick, and some decent college guys like Ferentz who I think could be a really solid coach. Still think he would have been a better choice for the Chiefs.

JT Jag
10-19-2009, 09:30 PM
A bunch of big name possibilities available now though with Cowher, Shanny, Gruden, Billick, and some decent college guys like Ferentz who I think could be a really solid coach. Still think he would have been a better choice for the Chiefs.A few teams should really give Marty Schottenheimer consideration. He won't come with a big price tag like Shanahan or Cowher, but there aren't very many head-coaches out there who are better at program building.

Of course, it's a given that you'll have to can him after a few years when he can't push the team from "good" to "great". But that's when you hire a young talent like Ferentz.

TACKLE
10-19-2009, 09:35 PM
I think Shanahan is hands down the best available coach out there. That being said, I think its smart that he turned it down. It would have been a bad situation plus Shanahan is going to want to come in and do things his way and I don't know if Snyder role in the draft/FA would go along well.

21ST
10-19-2009, 09:47 PM
I don't see why Shanahan would want the Redskins job anyways, he'll want full control over the team and to be the GM as well probably, or at least a lot more say than he'll get in a team run by Dan Snyder. Cowher seems to want the same thing with a lot of control over personnel moves so he could pass the Redskins up as well. Cowher will probably be in Carolina if they keep playing poor football and Fox gets fired based on the fact that... well... that its in Carolina lol. If Andy Reid decides to take a break from Football I think that could be a decent landing point for Shanny or Gruden.

Bills, Panthers, Redskins, Cowboys, Raiders, Jags?, Titans??, those are the coaching changes that are most possible/likely/inevitable I think. There could be someone who step down though like Reid maybe due to family problems, etc. A bunch of big name possibilities available now though with Cowher, Shanny, Gruden, Billick, and some decent college guys like Ferentz who I think could be a really solid coach. Still think he would have been a better choice for the Chiefs.

Im pretty sure Dan knows that shanahan is going to want full control so the fact that he is targeting him is tellin me he will give it to him

The Unseen
10-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Cowher to Jags 2010 kthxbai

aNYtitan
10-19-2009, 10:34 PM

I want no part of Shanahan on the Titans. Or Cowher imo. It will be a big head coaching turnover this season with these two, plus Holmgren plus the outside shots of Marty Schottenheimer and Jon Gruden and maybe just maybe Tony Dungy (who I would absolutely love to get).

LonghornsLegend
10-19-2009, 10:44 PM

I can see it, though I think Holmgren will get some consideration as well.

MetSox17
10-19-2009, 10:53 PM
I can see it, though I think Holmgren will get some consideration as well.

I'd prefer to go with Shannahan, or even Gruden, as long as we're not giving them GM duties as well. Shanny proved time and time again in Denver that he isn't a very good evaluator of talent.

Shiver
10-19-2009, 11:00 PM
I'd prefer to go with Shannahan, or even Gruden, as long as we're not giving them GM duties as well. Shanny proved time and time again in Denver that he isn't a very good evaluator of talent.

2008:

Ryan Clady
Eddie Royal

2006:

Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
Brandon Marshall
Elvis Dumervil

He had his moments.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-19-2009, 11:10 PM
Mike Shanahan is a tremendous coach, and any team that gets him is lucky, especially if they have a young QB. Things just weren't working out in Denver with him, I was really sad to see him go but it was best for both parties.

Brent
10-19-2009, 11:14 PM
That's what I'm thinking as well.
Not going to happen. Jerry Jones isnt going to hand over GM duties and that is what he'll want. Enjoy Jason Garrett, Dallas fans.

Cowher might as well be a lock for Carolina, if they fire Fox.

Timbathia
10-19-2009, 11:44 PM
2008:

Ryan Clady
Eddie Royal

2006:

Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
Brandon Marshall
Elvis Dumervil

He had his moments.

Most of them are on the offense though. If you looked at all the offensive player he drafted and compare them to the defensive players, well, lets just say if they ever played each other the Pats/Titans game this weekend would look close in comparison (no disrespect to Elvis Dumervil intended).

BlindSite
10-20-2009, 12:13 AM
Not going to happen. Jerry Jones isnt going to hand over GM duties and that is what he'll want. Enjoy Jason Garrett, Dallas fans.

I've heard the Cowher link a bunch of times, and the big cat would likely bust a nut to keep him. I'd like to keep Hurney around though.

the decider13
10-20-2009, 12:20 AM
2008:

Ryan Clady
Eddie Royal

2006:

Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
Brandon Marshall
Elvis Dumervil

He had his moments.

He did have his moments, but like 99-05 and 07 were all aweful. 2006 was such a phenominal draft that it kind of made up for the 10 years of crap. The only players of mention were DJ and Clinton Portis. Everything else was pretty terrible.

Jarvis Moss is one of the worst picks ever, makes me sad.

Still love me some shanny though.

Brent
10-20-2009, 12:22 AM
I've heard the Cowher link a bunch of times, and the big cat would likely bust a nut to keep him. I'd like to keep Hurney around though.
Cowher to Carolina makes too much sense. And, for the sake of the franchise, it'd likely be a great idea.

MetSox17
10-20-2009, 12:27 AM
2008:

Ryan Clady
Eddie Royal

2006:

Jay Cutler
Tony Scheffler
Brandon Marshall
Elvis Dumervil

He had his moments.

Jarvis Moss, Marcus Thomas, Tim Crowder (:(), Darrent Williams, Karl Paymah, Dominque Foxworth, Maurice Clarett??

Or trading for the Browns defensive line?

the decider13
10-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Jarvis Moss, Marcus Thomas, Tim Crowder (:(), Darrent Williams, Karl Paymah, Dominque Foxworth, Maurice Clarett??

Or trading for the Browns defensive line?

Was playing well until he was shot...I don't think that counts as a failure.

Geo
10-20-2009, 12:32 AM
I forgot where I read it, but whereever Shanny gets hired, he's going to hire Bob Slowik as his defensive coordinator.

Slowik was the defensive coordinator of the 2008 Denver Broncos (also 2007 but Jim Bates was running the defense).

LOL

Diehard
10-20-2009, 12:53 AM
I forgot where I read it, but whereever Shanny gets hired, he's going to hire Bob Slowik as his defensive coordinator.

I can't believe that. It is painfully clear that Slowik has no ******* idea how to run a defense... which is a scary combination with Shanahan, who isn't exactly proficient at drafting defensive talent. As McD said back in September:

“The 4-3 really wasn’t here,” McDaniels said in his Monday press conference. “The way that they had played, the style and the guys, we just felt like it wasn’t like we had a solid 4-3 defensive scheme in terms of our personnel to fit that scheme. In other words, why take a year and (transition gradually) when it really wasn’t in place to begin with?”

http://broncotalk.net/2009/09/9500/broncos-blog/josh-mcdaniels-what-4-3/

roidrunner
10-20-2009, 08:58 AM
I dont think Shanahan will go to either the redskins or the cowboys. Shanahan likes to be in charge or the whole team including the personnel. Do you think synder or Jones would give up that right? Fat chance. These are the two owners who are the most involved with the teams. Its not Shanahan's style.

Job
10-20-2009, 09:24 AM
I dont think Shanahan will go to either the redskins or the cowboys. Shanahan likes to be in charge or the whole team including the personnel. Do you think synder or Jones would give up that right? Fat chance. These are the two owners who are the most involved with the teams. Its not Shanahan's style.

You forgot Al Davis.

10-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Was playing well until he was shot...I don't think that counts as a failure.

Yeah. Darrent was a little exposed in his last year, but he was at least on his way to being a solid cornerback in this league.

nobodyinparticular
10-20-2009, 09:53 AM
You forgot Al Davis.

Been there, done that, fired that... (see 1988-1989)

NY+Giants=NYG
10-20-2009, 09:59 AM
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/19/sources-mike-shanahan-turned-down-redskins-coaching-job/

LOL what a poorly run franchise

Yup.. I don't see an established coach like Shanny taking a job with a franchise like the redskins. At that stage in his life I highly doubt he wants to get told what to do by Vinny and Danny boy.

10-20-2009, 10:41 AM
it's funny how many people still want to think shanahan is the guy from 98/99 when, over the last decade, he got substantially worse at picking up talent (we're not just talking about one draft, look at the worthless free agency additions [dre bly? marlon mccree? i could go on]), and he turned into a TERRIBLE gameday coach (if the scripted 15 plays didn't go well, the offense died. immediately). and that's not even getting into the fact that he couldn't coach his way out of a brown paper bag if you put the bag in the red zone.

could he get back to what made him successful with a fresh start? sure. absolutely. but it entertains me when he keeps getting brought up as if he's going to step in and save a bad franchise.

I think that it was just being in Denver so long that, for some reason, made him forget how to coach(prolonged periods with a lack of oxygen?). So I'm thinking he returns to at least a good coach wherever he goes next. But then I heard he wants to bring Slowik... yeah, he's lost it.

21ST
10-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Yup.. I don't see an established coach like Shanny taking a job with a franchise like the redskins. At that stage in his life I highly doubt he wants to get told what to do by Vinny and Danny boy.

If we actually hire a good coach he wont be told what to do

DeathbyStat
10-20-2009, 11:23 AM
I don't blame him he doesn't want to battle with Snyder over personal

2 Live Crew
10-20-2009, 01:24 PM
Why would any respected established coach want to come coach for the Redskins when they could have their pick of the litter basically?

If I was Shanahan/Cowher/Holmgren I would definetly say no to Snyder. The only way is if Snyder gives up personnel decisions/GM power to them...but I don't see him doing that.

Gruden may be crazy enough to do it though.

D-Unit
10-20-2009, 01:27 PM
I don't blame him he doesn't want to battle with Snyder over personal
What about battling with Jerry Jones over personnel?

Early Prediction Time!

Bill Cowher - Carolina Panthers - Wants to coach near home.
Bill Billick - Tennessee Titans - Knows how to handle a player like Vince Young.
John Gruden - Jacksonville Jaguars - Chic pick.
Mike Shanahan - San Diego Chargers - Payback time for Denver... and Al Davis for that matter.
Mike Holmgren - Washington Redskins - They have all Holmgren guys already there.
Jeff Fischer - Dallas Cowboys - Bling bling hire, and won't bug Jerry for control.
Jack Del Rio - Oakland Raiders - Has the character to withstand Al and goes back to his hometown state.

John Fox - Will take a break as a MNF Game Announcer. :p
Tom Cable - DC somewhere
Wade Phillips - DC somewhere
Norv Turner - OC somewhere
Jim Zorn - QB coach somewhere

LizardState
10-20-2009, 02:32 PM

Can't blame Shanahan for doing that, Dan Snyder knows even less about the modern NFL game than Al Davis, & Shanahan used to work for him & left at midseason in a major contract dispute, remember? See nobody in particular's post above

All other available NFL HCs will take a spot in line behind Jeff Fisher if the Titans continue to tank & Bud Adams cans him. Jerry Jones will be johnny on the spot with the 1st offer for Fisher. Jason Garrett's abominable playcalling in pressure situations (i.e, red zone offense) this season have shown those who saw it that he isn't ready to handle a high pressure HC job in Dallas under Jerry's watchful eye yet.

Cowher should stay retired, he went out on top, his reputation could only go downhill from there if he takes a loser NFL team's top spot, so he has the clout to wait on a GM + HC offer from a team that has a chance in hell of winning. I don' t think he has any interest in turning a Rams or Tampa around.

Job
10-20-2009, 02:50 PM
What about battling with Jerry Jones over personnel?

Early Prediction Time!

Bill Cowher - Carolina Panthers - Wants to coach near home.
Bill Billick - Tennessee Titans - Knows how to handle a player like Vince Young.
John Gruden - Jacksonville Jaguars - Chic pick.
Mike Shanahan - San Diego Chargers - Payback time for Denver... and Al Davis for that matter.
Mike Holmgren - Washington Redskins - They have all Holmgren guys already there.
Jeff Fischer - Dallas Cowboys - Bling bling hire, and won't bug Jerry for control.
Jack Del Rio - Oakland Raiders - Has the character to withstand Al and goes back to his hometown state.

John Fox - Will take a break as a MNF Game Announcer. :p
Tom Cable - DC somewhere
Wade Phillips - DC somewhere
Norv Turner - OC somewhere
Jim Zorn - QB coach somewhere

No rookie head coach? I don't see that happening.

Gay Ork Wang
10-21-2009, 06:57 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d81397daf&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Washington Redskins coach Jim Zorn made it pretty clear this week that he was uncomfortable giving up his offensive play-calling duties. Because of that, Zorn nearly relinquished all of his duties, former Seattle Seahawks teammate Steve Largent said Wednesday.
Hall of Fame receiver Steve Largent told KJR AM's Mitch in the Morning Show in Seattle that his close friend considered quitting his job instead of handing play-calling responsibilities to recently hired consultant Sherman Lewis.