PDA

View Full Version : Sean Mahan, from a Bucs fan

Bucs4242
03-10-2007, 03:32 PM
The majority of you obviously have never seen him play. The guy is not very good. That poster, "Man of Steel" is about the only one who seems to get it. Mahan is a backup guard, and not a very good one at all. He might be a servicable center one day, but then again that was just a hope and a dream Bucs fans hung onto after seeing how poorly he worked out at guard. His first game starting at center was in 2004, and our QB was sacked (I want to say) 8-10 times that day.

Mahan was a backup who wanst pursued by the BUcs and wasnt offered a contract before MARCH 2. btw, the BUcs OL has been nowhere near as good as the Steelers and yet we werent interested in signing him. Actaully I would go as far to say that for the past4 years the Bucs have had opne of the worst 3-5 OL in football

5 mil for MAhan in his first year? WOW,thats all I have to say

In all honesty the guy shouldve got no more than 10 mil over 5 years. Instead he got 20 mil. I bet he is the happiest man in the world right now as he probably thought he w ould never in his career get a starter type contract like Pitt gave him

TheGunShow
03-10-2007, 03:49 PM
I'm not sure where you got those figures but if it is true I think it's a horrible signing. I put off my opinion until I saw some numbers. I figured he'd get overpaid. Everyone is this offseason. But at that price he better start. I thought a deal around two million a season would of been about right with this offseason pricing. He can provice depth and push for the starting center position. But I would much rather waited until after the draft to sign players. What if Kalil is around in the 2nd round. We have to take him and that will pretty much put Mahen fighting for the RG spot which with all the competition he'll likely lose.

I didn't like re-signing Aaron Smith before the draft and I don't like signing a back-up to starters money before the draft. So far the Steelers get an F this offseason. Which is really bad because just by sitting on their hands they would of gotten an A!

TheGunShow
03-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Of course we could of signed Jeff Garcia.

Bucs4242
03-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Im not sure exactly what that means, but sure

I wasnt trying to be a dyck either. I just like to inform opposing fans of who they are gettiong when Bucs players sign elsewhere. I went to the Detroit board and just kept raving about how well I think Dewayne WHite will do for them. I just couldnt help but laughing hysterically when I wookie up and read this contract Mahan got. I dont dislike the Steeelers at all, its just a ridiculous ocntract

Tampa Bay free agent offensive lineman Sean Mahan agreed to terms on a five-year contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers Saturday, PewterReport.com is reporting.

Mahan will earn close to $5 million in his first season and an average of roughly $3.5 million in the ensuing four seasons with the Steelers.

Mahan, 26, has started 36 of the 57 games hes played in since entering the NFL in 2003 as a fifth-round draft pick out of Notre Dame.

The 6-foot-3, 301-pound Mahan has proven to be a versatile player. He started all 16 games at right guard in 2005. In 2004, he started the final eight games of the season in place of injured center John Wade. Last season, Mahan started 12 of Tampa Bays 16 regular season games. Most of his playing time came at left guard in place of injured G Dan Buenning.

Bucs4242
03-10-2007, 03:56 PM
btw, I would say that Mahan was the 5th or maybe 6th best player on a below average Bucs OL

Man_Of_Steel
03-10-2007, 04:12 PM
The majority of you obviously have never seen him play. The guy is not very good. That poster, "Man of Steel" is about the only one who seems to get it. Mahan is a backup guard, and not a very good one at all.

Thanks for the props.

Chance of rep :)

skarocksoi
03-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Well that pretty much sucks. I guess I've been out of the loop, cause i didnt even know we signed this guy.

Bucs4242
03-10-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't want to be all doom and gloom

I liked Sean Mahan. I thought the Bucs would resign him, withg littlew competition, for maybe 2 mil per year and a small signing bonus. Mahan has no future at Guard. In fact if he is starting at guard there is a good chance your season isnt going the way you wanted it to

As a center his lack of strength is less of an issue. Or atleast it seemed that way. He has a good head on his shoulders. He is a decent athlete but nothign special. He is smallish without NFL caliber strength. Honestly he falt out got destroyed anytime we facxed a really good DT when he was at guard

All in all, he will have to live up to his fullest potential to be worth that contract. And as an objective, diehard BUcs fan I really dont see it in him

But I am certain his only chance as a starter will come at Center

Shane P. Hallam
03-10-2007, 05:14 PM
People are pretty high on him here. He isn't the starter yet, he is competing. Likewise, the guy isn't as bad as you say. I've taken a look at him and he has some potential with our work mentality, he can get there. I think it is a good signing and a guy who could anchor the line successfully. Great? Of course not, but he is a player who works hard. He does better at the second level than the first, and that is how we use Centers usually. He fits the team well. We will see.

I personally like Okobi as a starter, but that is me.

mikehop05
03-11-2007, 03:22 AM
The majority of you obviously have never seen him play. The guy is not very good. That poster, "Man of Steel" is about the only one who seems to get it. Mahan is a backup guard, and not a very good one at all. He might be a servicable center one day, but then again that was just a hope and a dream Bucs fans hung onto after seeing how poorly he worked out at guard. His first game starting at center was in 2004, and our QB was sacked (I want to say) 8-10 times that day.

Mahan was a backup who wanst pursued by the BUcs and wasnt offered a contract before MARCH 2. btw, the BUcs OL has been nowhere near as good as the Steelers and yet we werent interested in signing him. Actaully I would go as far to say that for the past4 years the Bucs have had opne of the worst 3-5 OL in football

5 mil for MAhan in his first year? WOW,thats all I have to say

In all honesty the guy shouldve got no more than 10 mil over 5 years. Instead he got 20 mil. I bet he is the happiest man in the world right now as he probably thought he w ould never in his career get a starter type contract like Pitt gave him

thank u for sharing out opinon with us but i think he'll be prety good...

he was looked at by 4 teams and hes a good fit for us, he was decnt in TB but i think he will excel here

with a good team

Caddy
03-11-2007, 03:38 AM
thank u for sharing out opinon with us but i think he'll be prety good...

he was looked at by 4 teams and hes a good fit for us, he was decnt in TB but i think he will excel here

with a good team

Why would the team he was with make him be any better of a player?

Mahan is not as bad as Bucs42 makes him out to be. He is a serviceable starter and can play RG, LG and C. He is pretty much a 'what you see is what you get' kind if guy.

Mr. Stiller
03-11-2007, 05:21 AM
Why would the team he was with make him be any better of a player?

Mahan is not as bad as Bucs42 makes him out to be. He is a serviceable starter and can play RG, LG and C. He is pretty much a 'what you see is what you get' kind if guy.

I have a feeling, he could be a very effective Pulling/Trapping center.

With that Said, I hope if he starts, Kemo starts at RG.

Bucs4242
03-11-2007, 03:10 PM
24cadillac24 is obviously a football novice

I love how Steelers fans are explaining to me he's not as bad as I think he is. I have season tickets to the bucs. I watch and record every game. Im a diehard fan and love he Bucs. I like Mahan. I wish him well. Truth is he is not effetcive on the first level, second level, etc. Why do you think Cadillac Williams averaged like 3.5 ypc? Mahan is not very good at all.

What does, "what you see is what you get" even mean? What I saw was a physically incapable NFL OL who didnt have the strength or power to hold his position at the point of attack. He just isnt that physically gifted but you all will see. The Bucs OL has been so pathetic and we let this guy walk with very little pursuit. Think about it, he is young and he came up in our system but we let him go when we need OL more than anytrhing and our OL is horrible? Doesnt add up.

Now on the other hand, OL is a position where a group of 5 good OL can cover up for a guy like Mahan at center. Maybe the Stelers OL is good enough around him to mask his weaknesses. But either way, he is overpaid

BigRob
03-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Mahan will be the Steelers opening day Center. He is better at the second level and is a very agile lineman. That is how we like to use our centers. You can't judge a player by the play of the line as a whole. It is how the unit works together. It will remain to be seen how he does, but I know that the Bucs did want him back. I think he is an upgrade over our current options at Center, and is better than Sukky Okobi.

mikehop05
03-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Mahan will be the Steelers opening day Center. He is better at the second level and is a very agile lineman. That is how we like to use our centers. You can't judge a player by the play of the line as a whole. It is how the unit works together. It will remain to be seen how he does, but I know that the Bucs did want him back. I think he is an upgrade over our current options at Center, and is better than Sukky Okobi.

thank you! i agree

Bucs4242
03-11-2007, 03:21 PM
Why do you believe that? BNecause you heard it on local sports talk radio in Pittsburgh? Or maybe your GM is feeding you that garbage? Or are your newspapers telling you he is "agile and effective at the nest level"?

The guy was horrible. I mean absolutely terrible. He loses the battle at the point of attack everytime. What do you mean, "it is yet to be seen". No I saw him start in 36 games and got a good evaluation of his game

Just becase the Bucs wanted him back doesnt mean anything. I guarantee you both a) he wasnt being offer4ed nearly as much by the BUcs and b) he wasnt being offered the starting center job whereas Pitt assured him of the starting center job

Honestly can you guys tell me how many games youve watched him play in, and actually watched him play. Why dont you put on the Bucs v Pitt game from earlier thsi year Im sure that will show you what kind of player he is. On pass plays he will get overpowered and on run plays he will allow the DL to move the LOS into your backfield

Man_Of_Steel
03-11-2007, 04:01 PM

Dude Okobi is gona be good. It would be a huge mistake not to let him start.

mikehop05
03-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Dude Okobi is gona be good. It would be a huge mistake not to let him start.

ive liked okobi as well but obviously the steelers were not set with him at center, or they would not have gone out and gotten mahan

Mr. Stiller
03-11-2007, 06:21 PM
24cadillac24 is obviously a football novice

I love how Steelers fans are explaining to me he's not as bad as I think he is. I have season tickets to the bucs. I watch and record every game. Im a diehard fan and love he Bucs. I like Mahan. I wish him well. Truth is he is not effetcive on the first level, second level, etc. Why do you think Cadillac Williams averaged like 3.5 ypc? Mahan is not very good at all.

What does, "what you see is what you get" even mean? What I saw was a physically incapable NFL OL who didnt have the strength or power to hold his position at the point of attack. He just isnt that physically gifted but you all will see. The Bucs OL has been so pathetic and we let this guy walk with very little pursuit. Think about it, he is young and he came up in our system but we let him go when we need OL more than anytrhing and our OL is horrible? Doesnt add up.

Now on the other hand, OL is a position where a group of 5 good OL can cover up for a guy like Mahan at center. Maybe the Stelers OL is good enough around him to mask his weaknesses. But either way, he is overpaid

... he got 5 calls from the Bucs during the interview with Pittsburgh. They convinced him after he left to return to Tampa and they'd be signing him. He actually took less money to stay in pittsburgh. They were seriously pursuing him.

It's not "Great oline around him masking his weaknesses." It's "How can we use him to build the line for everyones strengths". he's agile, quick and strong. Perfect. Thats all the Hartings was. And he did just fine. We didn't have to design a scheme to mask hartings Deficiencies. We'll use him the same way. I just hope we get Bigger gaurds because Simmons is too weak. Put Kemo Next to him and let Mahan do all the athletic trapping/Pulling and we'll be fine.

Mr. Stiller
03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
ive liked okobi as well but obviously the steelers were not set with him at center, or they would not have gone out and gotten mahan

Yea, Arians should know what he brings. And they said the competition was between Simmons and Mahan.

Obviously they're not that comfortable with Okobi. Not only that, but I think they also believe that Kemo is going to be the RG.

With Simmons ending up being a swingman backup.

because if they really wanted Simmons to be a starter, he has what 3 years at RG, why would they move him to center? Mahan wins the starters job and Kemo is the RG.

woop.

NFLBOY
03-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Dude Okobi is gona be good. It would be a huge mistake not to let him start. I agree. I like what Okobi has done when he has been in there. Nice to see that we would rather throw our money away on this guy. I'd bet Porter is just shaking his head right now and kinda laughing.

Man_Of_Steel
03-11-2007, 08:31 PM
I agree. I like what Okobi has done when he has been in there. Nice to see that we would rather throw our money away on this guy. I'd bet Porter is just shaking his head right now and kinda laughing.

Yea agreed

Mr. Stiller
03-11-2007, 09:31 PM
I agree. I like what Okobi has done when he has been in there. Nice to see that we would rather throw our money away on this guy. I'd bet Porter is just shaking his head right now and kinda laughing.

.... Are you a browns or Ravens fan in disguise? I would've loved to see your actions when they brought in Cowher, Cut Huey.

NFLBOY
03-12-2007, 01:32 PM
.... Are you a browns or Ravens fan in disguise? I would've loved to see your actions when they brought in Cowher, Cut Huey. Get off it bro. Huey isn't even in the same league as Porter and the situation is totally different. We are a team a year removed from the superbowl title. Just cause our opinion is different from yours, means nothing. I guess we should all agree with you, right? I've been watching and following the Steelers longer than you've been alive, so get off your attitude act. I know all about the salary cap and the B.S. that goes with it. I'm sorry I don't follow blindly to what the Steelers do with every move like you. I think this has been a horrible offseason so far. That';s my opinion. You seem to be licking the Steelers balls with every move they make.

mikehop05
03-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Get off it bro. Huey isn't even in the same league as Porter and the situation is totally different. We are a team a year removed from the superbowl title. Just cause our opinion is different from yours, means nothing. I guess we should all agree with you, right? I've been watching and following the Steelers longer than you've been alive, so get off your attitude act. I know all about the salary cap and the B.S. that goes with it. I'm sorry I don't follow blindly to what the Steelers do with every move like you. I think this has been a horrible offseason so far. That';s my opinion. You seem to be licking the Steelers balls with every move they make.

so you would be happy to give porter 20mil guarenteed??

plus all the other money they are throing at him?

etk
03-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Why are you all so excited over Sean Mahan? He is horrible starter material, especially for a team like the Steelers who pride themselves on power running. If we wanted him back so badly in Tampa, we would have signed him before FA like the rest of our players that we wanted back. We did it with Buchanon, Alstott, Cox and others. We didn't do it with White & Mahan because they wanted way more money than they deserved. For all you other Bucs fans who have posted here, Cheers!! Let the Steelers take our dirty laundry, and we won't have to deal with it :D

mikehop05
03-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Why are you all so excited over Sean Mahan? He is horrible starter material, especially for a team like the Steelers who pride themselves on power running. If we wanted him back so badly in Tampa, we would have signed him before FA like the rest of our players that we wanted back. We did it with Buchanon, Alstott, Cox and others. We didn't do it with White & Mahan because they wanted way more money than they deserved. For all you other Bucs fans who have posted here, Cheers!! Let the Steelers take our dirty laundry, and we won't have to deal with it :D

yeah and judging by your consistently stellar records you guys are a great judge of talent

etk
03-12-2007, 01:56 PM
yeah and judging by your consistently stellar records you guys are a great judge of talent

Your comment makes no sense. If you are being sarcastic and saying we are a bad team: we won a Super Bowl in 02, were close to a playoff team in 03, and we made the playoffs in 05 and won our division. If you are saying we don't judge talent well, look at some of our recent draft picks. If we don't judge talent well, I guess that means Sean Mahan must suck, because we drafted him in the 5th round in 2003.....

You are a shameful Steelers fan, that comment was completely senseless, and wrong nonetheless.

Mr. Stiller
03-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Get off it bro. Huey isn't even in the same league as Porter and the situation is totally different. We are a team a year removed from the superbowl title. Just cause our opinion is different from yours, means nothing. I guess we should all agree with you, right? I've been watching and following the Steelers longer than you've been alive, so get off your attitude act. I know all about the salary cap and the B.S. that goes with it. I'm sorry I don't follow blindly to what the Steelers do with every move like you. I think this has been a horrible offseason so far. That';s my opinion. You seem to be licking the Steelers balls with every move they make.

How do you know Huey couldn't have been in the same League as Porter? Porter had How many years? Huey got .. 1?

I'm not stating you should blindly agree with me, but christ dude, for a steelers fan your so negative. It's been a bad offseason, no doubt. Half the fun of having a team like the Steelers is the faith they'll work through it. You don't like the move fine, but every post I've read of yours has been a bash. My point is. If you really Have been watching the steelers "Longer than I've been alive" then you obviously should have learned by now to trust the Rooneys and the FO. You don't, So obviously it must be a little more difficult to teach you things.

Oh no, the dreaded "I'm older than you so "Get off your attitude". If your such a fan of the steelers act like it.

Porter wanted insane money and wasn't playing worth it. Should we pay every veteran that wants huge money to continue downhill? Where did that get us with Gildon? Porter was on his way there.

Football is almost like a religion. It's not blind following, it's faith. You don't follow blindly, Unless you believe. You don't believe.

There's a difference between believing in your team and being a ball licker.

If your such the Steelers fan, you should have your doubts, but you don't be so negative about a team "You've been following longer than I've been alive".

1) you blew that out of proportion
2) Lets see if Porter follows the timeline of other steelers LB's let go.

Green Kirkland, Lloyd all made it 2 seasons before hanging it up. Lets see if Porter was worth that $20+ Million.

My moneys on... he's not.

Mr. Stiller
03-12-2007, 02:55 PM

2 things.

Blue1) Have you seen Willie Parker? Does he give you the impression of a Power Running? This isn't Chicago, Cleveland, Baltimore. There's a lot more athleticism on the line. The only "Big" Guy on the line was Starks. We're not exactly a Power running team (Since Willie Took over). We use the athletic Lineman to pull/trap allowing Parker to spring free. If he is Horrible starting Material, why did he start the last couple of seasons, and why was tampa hounding him to come back? We're going to an Indy Style offense and frankly I'm not sure as to Mahans capabilities, but from what I hear, he could very well be our Jeff Saturday. I wonder if Tampa will be upset if he develops into a pro-bowler.

Blue2) If he was so money hungry, why did he take a pay-cut to come to Pittsburgh? Tampa was offering more money and he came to play here. If he's so bad, why was he being hounded the whole entire time in Pittsburgh by the tampa FO? You don't go that nuts on the phones for a mere backup.

No offense but this almost seems like Jealousy.

"Haha dude, your g/f dumped you and hooked up with me"

"Uh ... Uh well, she's a ***** anyways..."

NFLBOY
03-12-2007, 03:55 PM
Your comment makes no sense. If you are being sarcastic and saying we are a bad team: we won a Super Bowl in 02, were close to a playoff team in 03, and we made the playoffs in 05 and won our division. If you are saying we don't judge talent well, look at some of our recent draft picks. If we don't judge talent well, I guess that means Sean Mahan must suck, because we drafted him in the 5th round in 2003.....

You are a shameful Steelers fan, that comment was completely senseless, and wrong nonetheless. You'll have to forgive some of these Steelers fans on here. Your right about our power running game, the lack of it that is. We have Parker, but he is not consistent and doesn't do good against strong defenses. We signed Davenport, which could be a very good thing. He is young and is a good back. I think it will compliment Parker really well. The teams in the NFL are starting to go with faster and smaller O-lineman. Maybe the Steelers will stay with a good power running game along with a quick back like Parker. So far I'm not impressed with the offseason and have big doubts. I guess only time will tell.

NFLBOY
03-12-2007, 04:01 PM
How do you know Huey couldn't have been in the same League as Porter? Porter had How many years? Huey got .. 1?

I'm not stating you should blindly agree with me, but christ dude, for a steelers fan your so negative. It's been a bad offseason, no doubt. Half the fun of having a team like the Steelers is the faith they'll work through it. You don't like the move fine, but every post I've read of yours has been a bash. My point is. If you really Have been watching the steelers "Longer than I've been alive" then you obviously should have learned by now to trust the Rooneys and the FO. You don't, So obviously it must be a little more difficult to teach you things.

Oh no, the dreaded "I'm older than you so "Get off your attitude". If your such a fan of the steelers act like it.

Porter wanted insane money and wasn't playing worth it. Should we pay every veteran that wants huge money to continue downhill? Where did that get us with Gildon? Porter was on his way there.

Football is almost like a religion. It's not blind following, it's faith. You don't follow blindly, Unless you believe. You don't believe.

There's a difference between believing in your team and being a ball licker.

If your such the Steelers fan, you should have your doubts, but you don't be so negative about a team "You've been following longer than I've been alive".

1) you blew that out of proportion
2) Lets see if Porter follows the timeline of other steelers LB's let go.

Green Kirkland, Lloyd all made it 2 seasons before hanging it up. Lets see if Porter was worth that $20+ Million.

My moneys on... he's not. It isn't called negativity. It's called reality. I don't like the way things are going at all. Of course I have doubts with our front office. This is the team that drafted troy edwards and stephans and of course the lazy Burress. I should have doubts about it. It's also the same team that agreed to keep stewart as our qb. We all know how well that went over. I am hoping we will still be a force in the AFC, but right now I don't see that happening. Once free agency and the draft is over I will be able to get a better grasp of where this team is going, but until I see how this team plays and the concept we will use, I will not like the hiring of our new coach. Like I said before, I hope I'm wrong about him, but I don't think I will be.

Mr. Stiller
03-12-2007, 04:04 PM
You'll have to forgive some of these Steelers fans on here. Your right about our power running game, the lack of it that is. We have Parker, but he is not consistent and doesn't do good against strong defenses. We signed Davenport, which could be a very good thing. He is young and is a good back. I think it will compliment Parker really well. The teams in the NFL are starting to go with faster and smaller O-lineman. Maybe the Steelers will stay with a good power running game along with a quick back like Parker. So far I'm not impressed with the offseason and have big doubts. I guess only time will tell.

Woah. This is where I draw the line. You called me out saying that I lick the steelers balls and **** because I said you weren't truly a fan.

Your upset that we have parker? Calling him inconsistent and weak against strong Defenses?

I'll give you Baltimore as the Oline sucked (9 sacks?) and The coaches abandoned the run.

Jacksonville, they brought Ben back too soon.

4th ranked Miami: 115 yards
7th ranked Carolina: 123 yards
9th ranked SD: 4.1 YPC, coaches called the run game off.
10th ranked NO: 213 yards
13th ranked DEN: 5.0 YPC until the coaches called off the run game.
15th ranked KC: 109 yards, then Najeh ran.

I blame the oline and coaching more than Parker. Dude had a probowl season? 1454 yards? Or am I just blindly following again?

WTF dude..

Mr. Stiller
03-12-2007, 04:23 PM
It isn't called negativity. It's called reality. I don't like the way things are going at all. Of course I have doubts with our front office. This is the team that drafted troy edwards and stephans and of course the lazy Burress. I should have doubts about it. It's also the same team that agreed to keep stewart as our qb. We all know how well that went over. I am hoping we will still be a force in the AFC, but right now I don't see that happening. Once free agency and the draft is over I will be able to get a better grasp of where this team is going, but until I see how this team plays and the concept we will use, I will not like the hiring of our new coach. Like I said before, I hope I'm wrong about him, but I don't think I will be.

Those picks were also a Different GM, different Coaching staff. Again Different Coach/Staff for Kordell.

I think we'll still be a force, We have LeBeau running the defense and Arians running an Indy Style offense, which is perfect for our player set.

Hines = Marvin
Holmes = Wayne
Parker = Edge
Miller = TE (Name slipping)

Thats the only point I was making though dude, We hire young, motivated, coaches. Cowher, IMO, isn't half the coach tomlin Can be. He was purely motivational. He wasn't a good x's and O's guy. Tomlin is. Cowher wasn't good with any of the defense, Tomlin is considered a top defensive secondary guy.

Whats been our defensive deficiency.. the secondary.

Again, it's hard to see this much change and be on the bandwagon. I agree. but there's also a difference between Optimism and Negativity, and I hate to see another fan, bash the team they love.

I'm trying to point out that, yes I would've rather cut Haggans and Kept Porter, but there is no way we could have afforded him. He was selfish and he was declining. Am I going to miss him? Damn right, I grew up watching him after the 95 Defense years. I wouldn't say Porter is the heart of the defense, thats Troy, but I wouldn't argue he was the mouth.

I just get upset because I see you not necesarily point out reasons why you don't like things. You just don't like them.

I try to point out things, Not force my opinion, just show you my POV. Like the Parker Post, that upset me. The guy was the 3rd best RB in the AFC (4th in the NFL).

His consistancy was hinged on the Offensive Line. The games they played Horrid in, we didn't run. The games the Steelers let up too many points, we got away from using Him (Denver). Willie was averaging 5.0 YPC. He was their issue, then a couple of bad plays and all of a sudden Ben is going at their strength (Champ).. Throwing 433 yards on 54 attempts?

He threw over 1200 yards more this season than prior. The last time we went to a pass happy offense? .... we got Ben.

I think the coaching staff simply was not focused. Perfect example. Ravens game. 9 sacks? did they make any adjustments? No. They just let them kick the crap out of Ben. They should've went with a 2 back 3wr Set, use the Rb's to pass protect and let Ben actually get comfortable passing. I don't see Tomlin/Arians allowing that, I think they will certainly make the adjustments.

Parker has gone from 186 yards, 1202 yards to 1494 yards, including the franchise record. That puts him on the line in front of Frenchy Fuqua. Thats something to be proud of. And if we get the offensive lines mentallity back into blocking. Who knows, Parker certainly has the ability to put up larger #'s than possibly LT or LJ.

Now, Over the past 3 years, there's been a huge rift in the Steelers (one that half helped us to a superbowl).

We didn't rely on Jerome Bettis 20-30 Times a game for 1/2 yards.
We had a franchise QB( First on since Terry Bradshaw. Heck 20+ years is a long time to wait)
We have a Pro-Bowl caliber RB.
We have 2 good WR's
We're a "Franco" Harris away from the dynasty team on offense. After we figure out what Faneca, Smith, Simmons and the likes are going to do.

Defense.

Keisel is moving to OLB. We now have a Merriman. Although Keisel is 10x Better against the run. Lets see if he's as good a pass rusher. Who knows, Keisel might make everyone forget about Peezy.
we need to coach up the secondary and add minor parts to inject youth into the front 7.

Personally I'd like:

LT/LG Swingman (James Marten, rd 2)
3-4 OLB (Brian Smith, day 2)
2 - 34 DE's/43DTS (Harrell, rd 2 - Alford, day 2)
WR- 1 possession, 1 ST/Deep threat (Filani/Hall/Jones/Rice - Figurs, day 2)
Punter - Sepulveda, day 2 or Graessle in UDFA.
MLB- Harris(2 down thumper) rd 1/2, Anthony Waters/Desmond Bishop(3 down complete mlbs) day 2.

Add possibly another gaurd. and we could very well be set.

I figure the starting oline will be:

Smith - Faneca -Mahan/Simmons- Kemoeatu - Starks/Colon.

Add Marten as a guy behind Faneca/Smith (Better than Essex). that leaves us with Essex (Guard?) and the loser of C/RT.

Whatever position Essex takes at the Left side of the line, Marten will take the otehr backup slot. Colon is a swingman so we might actually be set as he could play RG/RT.

If they get coached up, who the hell knows, Willie could have a 2000 Yard season.

Man_Of_Steel
03-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Parker runs at times with power, a complimentary back would be perfect. The Steelers are still a smashmouth running team. I understand what NFLBOY is saying, many times it just looked like he ran at the biggest pile of guys and died.

mikehop05
03-12-2007, 04:28 PM
i agree that parker isnt the most powerful back in the nfl, and thats why i am still for grabbing a guy like hunt in round 2 to give us someone who can pick up those tough yards..

but our offense is slowly getting away from the power running style, which may or may not be a good thing

Mr. Stiller
03-12-2007, 04:30 PM
Parker runs at times with power, a complimentary back would be perfect. The Steelers are still a smashmouth running team. I understand what NFLBOY is saying, many times it just looked like he ran at the biggest pile of guys and died.

I don't know if you remember the Miami game, but the dude absolutely blew up Zach Thomas. I know he knocked either McGinnest(I believe it was) or Andra Davis On his ass.

He's a small guy, thats building up in the offseason. He'll probably run with more power this season. I agree a guy like Brandon Jacobs would be superb.

Although We're not necesarily a smashmouth team anymore. Like I stated earlier, Arians is designing a hybrid Steelers/Indy offense. So, the smashmouth stuff is likely gone, and frankly, I'm fine with it, because we don't have the players to be a smashmouth.

Man_Of_Steel
03-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Those picks were also a Different GM, different Coaching staff. Again Different Coach/Staff for Kordell.

I think we'll still be a force, We have LeBeau running the defense and Arians running an Indy Style offense, which is perfect for our player set.

Hines = Marvin
Holmes = Wayne
Parker = Edge
Miller = TE (Name slipping)

Thats the only point I was making though dude, We hire young, motivated, coaches. Cowher, IMO, isn't half the coach tomlin Can be. He was purely motivational. He wasn't a good x's and O's guy. Tomlin is. Cowher wasn't good with any of the defense, Tomlin is considered a top defensive secondary guy.

Whats been our defensive deficiency.. the secondary.

Again, it's hard to see this much change and be on the bandwagon. I agree. but there's also a difference between Optimism and Negativity, and I hate to see another fan, bash the team they love.

I'm trying to point out that, yes I would've rather cut Haggans and Kept Porter, but there is no way we could have afforded him. He was selfish and he was declining. Am I going to miss him? Damn right, I grew up watching him after the 95 Defense years. I wouldn't say Porter is the heart of the defense, thats Troy, but I wouldn't argue he was the mouth.

I just get upset because I see you not necesarily point out reasons why you don't like things. You just don't like them.

I try to point out things, Not force my opinion, just show you my POV. Like the Parker Post, that upset me. The guy was the 3rd best RB in the AFC (4th in the NFL).

His consistancy was hinged on the Offensive Line. The games they played Horrid in, we didn't run. The games the Steelers let up too many points, we got away from using Him (Denver). Willie was averaging 5.0 YPC. He was their issue, then a couple of bad plays and all of a sudden Ben is going at their strength (Champ).. Throwing 433 yards on 54 attempts?

He threw over 1200 yards more this season than prior. The last time we went to a pass happy offense? .... we got Ben.

I think the coaching staff simply was not focused. Perfect example. Ravens game. 9 sacks? did they make any adjustments? No. They just let them kick the crap out of Ben. They should've went with a 2 back 3wr Set, use the Rb's to pass protect and let Ben actually get comfortable passing. I don't see Tomlin/Arians allowing that, I think they will certainly make the adjustments.

Parker has gone from 186 yards, 1202 yards to 1494 yards, including the franchise record. That puts him on the line in front of Frenchy Fuqua. Thats something to be proud of. And if we get the offensive lines mentallity back into blocking. Who knows, Parker certainly has the ability to put up larger #'s than possibly LT or LJ.

Now, Over the past 3 years, there's been a huge rift in the Steelers (one that half helped us to a superbowl).

We didn't rely on Jerome Bettis 20-30 Times a game for 1/2 yards.
We had a franchise QB( First on since Terry Bradshaw. Heck 20+ years is a long time to wait)
We have a Pro-Bowl caliber RB.
We have 2 good WR's
We're a "Franco" Harris away from the dynasty team on offense. After we figure out what Faneca, Smith, Simmons and the likes are going to do.

Defense.

Keisel is moving to OLB. We now have a Merriman. Although Keisel is 10x Better against the run. Lets see if he's as good a pass rusher. Who knows, Keisel might make everyone forget about Peezy.
we need to coach up the secondary and add minor parts to inject youth into the front 7.

Personally I'd like:

LT/LG Swingman (James Marten, rd 2)
3-4 OLB (Brian Smith, day 2)
2 - 34 DE's/43DTS (Harrell, rd 2 - Alford, day 2)
WR- 1 possession, 1 ST/Deep threat (Filani/Hall/Jones/Rice - Figurs, day 2)
Punter - Sepulveda, day 2 or Graessle in UDFA.
MLB- Harris(2 down thumper) rd 1/2, Anthony Waters/Desmond Bishop(3 down complete mlbs) day 2.

Add possibly another gaurd. and we could very well be set.

I figure the starting oline will be:

Smith - Faneca -Mahan/Simmons- Kemoeatu - Starks/Colon.

Add Marten as a guy behind Faneca/Smith (Better than Essex). that leaves us with Essex (Guard?) and the loser of C/RT.

Whatever position Essex takes at the Left side of the line, Marten will take the otehr backup slot. Colon is a swingman so we might actually be set as he could play RG/RT.

If they get coached up, who the hell knows, Willie could have a 2000 Yard season.

The personnel on that indy offense and ours is pretty much nothing alike so i dont know where your going there. That type of offense will be benficial at times for the Steelers but if you actually think those players are similar thats whack. (TE- either Clark or Fletcher)

I believe you said a Franco Harris away from a dynasty offense. You do relize Harris is a Hall of Famer, so that statement can be made for pretty much every team.

How on earth can you say Keseil will be Merriman. Thats just a stupid thing to say.

Mr. Stiller
03-12-2007, 04:33 PM
i agree that parker isnt the most powerful back in the nfl, and thats why i am still for grabbing a guy like hunt in round 2 to give us someone who can pick up those tough yards..

but our offense is slowly getting away from the power running style, which may or may not be a good thing

I think it's great. We're now becoming Balanced. Something We've lacked for a while. Jerome Bettis. It was always the same play, follow Kreider up the gut.

Is it just me, or the first season we had Willie Start, we won the superbowl, because we were balanced? We passed the ball solidly (Ben had low #'s per se, but his 15 for 18 passes nets as many yards as Eli's 10 for 41 or rivers 10 for 31.)

We had a dual RB system. We had a solid receiving core.

Thats all you need. Is balance. That season, we passed to open the run, and ran to open the pass, and because we were solid and balanced at both, we were unstoppable.

We just need the drive and a powerback.

Mr. Stiller
03-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Back to Mahan:

OL Mahan provides versatility

By JOANNE KORTH, Times Staff Writer
Published August 27, 2005

When the Bucs finally decide on a starting offensive line, Sean Mahan will be in it.

Somewhere.

Coaches are impressed with the third-year pro out of Notre Dame, who can play both guard positions and center. For now, Mahan is the projected starter at right guard, but his versatility gives the team options.

"There's nothing finalized, but right now Sean Mahan, when it's all said and done, might be our most consistent (lineman)," coach Jon Gruden said. "He's going to be a hard guy to keep off the field."

Mahan was thrust into duty for eight games last season when center John Wade dislocated his knee. The experience he gained better prepared him to compete for a starting job this season.

Man_Of_Steel
03-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Back to Mahan:

OL Mahan provides versatility

By JOANNE KORTH, Times Staff Writer
Published August 27, 2005

When the Bucs finally decide on a starting offensive line, Sean Mahan will be in it.

Somewhere.

Coaches are impressed with the third-year pro out of Notre Dame, who can play both guard positions and center. For now, Mahan is the projected starter at right guard, but his versatility gives the team options.

"There's nothing finalized, but right now Sean Mahan, when it's all said and done, might be our most consistent (lineman)," coach Jon Gruden said. "He's going to be a hard guy to keep off the field."

Mahan was thrust into duty for eight games last season when center John Wade dislocated his knee. The experience he gained better prepared him to compete for a starting job this season.

All Gruden said was "He's going to be a hard guy to keep off the field.", I dont think that qualifies as coaches are impressed. This piece is one writers opinion. Take that with a grain of salt. After reading that i actually get the impression that they knew they were gonna cut him from the get go, i mean what Gruden said isnt exactly praise.

Mr. Stiller
03-12-2007, 05:00 PM
All Gruden said was "He's going to be a hard guy to keep off the field.", I dont think that qualifies as coaches are impressed. This piece is one writers opinion. Take that with a grain of salt. After reading that i actually get the impression that they knew they were gonna cut him from the get go, i mean what Gruden said isnt exactly praise.

With Gruden that is about all the praise anyone can get..

he wasn't.. cut...

Man_Of_Steel
03-12-2007, 05:17 PM
With Gruden that is about all the praise anyone can get..

Grudens tough but he does praise his players, moreso than alot of coaches in the league.

mikehop05
03-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Grudens tough but he does praise his players, moreso than alot of coaches in the league.

why do you always have to argue everything

Man_Of_Steel
03-12-2007, 05:50 PM
why do you always have to argue everything

Its called opinion. Gruden is known for loving his players and making it public. What he said above was false.

Why do you remind me of that pathetic Jacob character from Road Trip?

NFLBOY
03-12-2007, 06:31 PM

but our offense is slowly getting away from the power running style, which may or may not be a good thing If we get away from the power run game, we need to get faster linemen. That basicaly would be a total overhaul.

Man_Of_Steel
03-12-2007, 06:35 PM
If we get away from the power run game, we need to get faster linemen. That basicaly would be a total overhaul.

agreed...,

mikehop05
03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Its called opinion. Gruden is known for loving his players and making it public. What he said above was false.

Why do you remind me of that pathetic Jacob character from Road Trip?

? good one?

Bucs4242
03-13-2007, 12:23 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. Stiller;210379]... He actually took less money to stay in pittsburgh. QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Now I know your GM is feeding you garbage! The Bucs brought in Jeremy Newberry and Al Johnson for visits before Mahan left as center prospects. We also elected not to release incumbent starter John Wade who is ageing and his play is rapidly deeclining

Trust me, if teh BUcs were offering even as much as the Steelers offered. Mahan wouldve signed with us months ago, well before FA began.

Bucs4242
03-13-2007, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. Stiller;210379]... he's agile, quick and strong. QUOTE]

weho told you those lies? He does not, I repeat (again) DOES NOT have NFL calibver strength in the trenches. Guy gets overpowered, I mean embarrassingly at times. He is pretty quick, and fairly agile but nothing that jumps out at you.

Bucs4242
03-13-2007, 12:29 AM

we won a super bowl in 2002 du,mbarse

We also won the NFC South in 2005

What did the Steelers do last year? O I forgot they completely failed to make the playoffs after winning a super bowl. O and what was the Steelers record before winning the Super Bowl? O yea thats right was it 5-11?

O and whos tyhe Steelers head caoch now? O riiiight, Mike Tomlin a former BUc coach. The Bucs have one of the best orgnanizations top to bottom in the NFL. Unfortunately during the DUngy era our salary cap was ruined by current Falcons GM Rich McKay. Now the cap is finally back to normal

Bucs4242
03-13-2007, 12:35 AM
did any of you actually know who Mahan was before 3 weeks ago?

And you are actually arguing with BUcs fans about how good he is, even though you dont know him and have never watched him play?

Jealousy? Go to the Lions board and you will so how I went on and on about how good I think Dewayne WHite is and how dumb the BUcs were for letting him leave.

Where are you gettting this info that Mahan was offered more by Tampa? And why do you compare Mahan to HArtings they shouldnt even be in the same breath?

slurve
03-13-2007, 06:47 AM
Mr. Bucs 4242

A. The Steelers were 15-1 the year before the Super Bowl win, and that IS a good thing. Consistently winning says a lot more than one standout season. Tomlin being a former Buc coach says nothing about that organization. Did you watch the Steelers Vs. Bucs this year, it was an embarrassment, and your coach ended the game by reminding everyone that he has no class. You are the first I have seen call them one of the best run organizations, good luck with those 4 backup quarterbacks.

B. You seem to way too concerned about this signing that doesn't even concern the Bucs, you just seem to want to be 'right about Mahan'. If Kendall Simmons gets signed by someone next year, I doubt you'll see Steeler fans posting on other teams boards about him, well I take that back, Steeler fans are sometimes rabid nutballs.

D. This board has spellcheck built right in.

Now for a serious question, does Tampa employ zone blocking schemes?

Thanks

we won a super bowl in 2002 du,mbarse

We also won the NFC South in 2005

What did the Steelers do last year? O I forgot they completely failed to make the playoffs after winning a super bowl. O and what was the Steelers record before winning the Super Bowl? O yea thats right was it 5-11?

O and whos tyhe Steelers head caoch now? O riiiight, Mike Tomlin a former BUc coach. The Bucs have one of the best orgnanizations top to bottom in the NFL. Unfortunately during the DUngy era our salary cap was ruined by current Falcons GM Rich McKay. Now the cap is finally back to normal

Bababooey
03-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Wow, this guy's a ******* moron.

Smooth Criminal
03-14-2007, 05:55 AM
I wonder if this guy knows the Steelers never had less than 6 wins with Cowher as the HC?

Caddy
03-14-2007, 06:02 AM
Bucs4242, you are making all us Buccaneers fans look bad. ;)

Bucs4242
03-20-2007, 03:50 AM
I dont give a damn what some ignorant PIttsburgh punks say about me. Why because I have seen Mahan play and they havent? Whatever dude, I know a turd when I see one

I see how no one could explain to me where it says Mahan was offered more by the bUcs

O and Bucs GM Bruce Allen won Executive of the Year in 2004.

Jon Gruden was the youngest HC to win the Super Bowl. Also shouldve brought the Raiders to the Super Bowl in 2001 (tuck rule-Tom Brady).

Monte Kiffin coached 9 consecutive top 10 defenses (1997-2005)

O and Bruce Allen was the GM for the Raiders when they had a lot of success also. The Bucs also won the NFC South in 2005, only 2 years ago. Our salary cap has been run into the ground the past 6 years thanks to former GM Rich McKay (who has now done much of the same wreckage to Atlantas salry cap).

Tomlin being a former BUcs coach says nothing about the organization? Really? How about the guy who coached DBs in Tampa before Tomlin? I believe his name was Herm Edwards. How about other nbames like Rod Marinelli (Detroit HC), Lovie SMith (Bears HC), Ruston Webster (Seattle hea dof player personel), Time Ruskell (Seattle GM), Jerry Angelo (Bears GM), Joe Barry (Lions DC), this team pumps out top end personel like few others. Or how about current QB coach Paul HAckett who has been a head caoch and offensive coordinator in the league for years? Monte Kiffin is highly respected as arguably th ebest DC in football.

Bucs4242
03-20-2007, 03:53 AM
Ps....owned

Mr. Stiller
03-20-2007, 04:02 AM
Ps....owned

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bucs4242
03-20-2007, 03:35 PM
PLEASE....shed some facts on the discussion that would debunk my facts. Id love to hear them

By the way, before this gets carried away. I have a lot of respect for the Steelers organization

Mr. Stiller
03-20-2007, 11:38 PM
PLEASE....shed some facts on the discussion that would debunk my facts. Id love to hear them

By the way, before this gets carried away. I have a lot of respect for the Steelers organization

You already carried it away. We understand, you think Mahan is garbage. This thread died 5-10 posts ago. We got it. Thanks for the Memo.