PDA

View Full Version : If players actually played up to their draft stock...

Chris777
10-21-2009, 03:35 AM
Who would have the best team in the league?

Busts would be the exceptions (only 4 or 5 in the first round, etc.,), later round picks would hardly yield sleepers (i know they're scarce as it is, but my point...)

Workout warriors would of course be forces of nature, Ryan Leaf would still be playing, on and on.

Still, consider coaching, owners, and the like.

OneToughGame
10-21-2009, 03:55 AM
The Lions would probably be unstoppable lol.

Brothgar
10-21-2009, 04:01 AM
The Lions would probably be unstoppable lol.

QFT we would have 3 all pro WRs an all pro LT and an All pro QB Jason Hanson would be kicking 100 yard FGs

Caddy
10-21-2009, 04:03 AM
This is difficult to argue because if players lived up to their standards then their teams may not have been picking in the exact same place the following season thus forcing them to select a different player than they originally selected.

BlindSite
10-21-2009, 04:06 AM
Jake Delhomme is about right atm.

David Carr would be better than Brady. LOL

wicket
10-21-2009, 05:07 AM
This thread made me think, where did the recent heisman winners go in the pros. I took them from the first winner still in the league.
1997 Charles Woodson Michigan Defensive back
1998 Ricky Williams Texas Running Back
1999 Ron Dayne Wisconsin Running Back
2000 Chris Weinke Florida State Quarterback
2001 Eric Crouch Nebraska Quarterback
2002 Carson Palmer USC Quarterback
2003 Jason White Oklahoma Quarterback
2004 Matt Leinart USC Quarterback
2005 Reggie Bush USC Running Back
2006 Troy Smith Ohio State Quarterback
2007 Tim Tebow Florida Quarterback
2008 Sam Bradford Oklahoma Quarterback

It suprised me that four (if im not mistaking) arent even in the league anymore. And of the remaining two of the qb's are backups and at the moment none of them look anywhere near good enough to be HoFers. In fact, the last Heisman winner to reach the HoF was barry sanders and that doesnt seem likely to change quickly imo

BlindSite
10-21-2009, 05:55 AM
I'm not a college expert, but is the heismann awarded to the best overall football player or simply the most productive?

djp
10-21-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm not a college expert, but is the heismann awarded to the best overall football player or simply the most productive?

It's essentially an MVP award for college football, and it's just as terrible as the other MVP awards in other major sports.

Generally, it means the best player on either of the two teams playing for the national championship.

awfullyquiet
10-21-2009, 09:05 AM
It's essentially an MVP award for college football, and it's just as terrible as the other MVP awards in other major sports.

Generally, it means the best player on either of the two teams playing for the national championship.

and it's given to only QB's and RB's.

with the exception of woodson.

Sniper
10-21-2009, 09:25 AM
and it's given to only QB's and RB's.

with the exception of woodson.

Praise Him in all of His glory.

awfullyquiet
10-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Praise Him in all of His glory.

i was waiting for that.

wonderbredd24
10-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Tim Couch, Courtney Brown, Gerard Warren, William Green.

Win.

Gay Ork Wang
10-21-2009, 10:12 AM
This thread is dumb. If everyone would play up to their potential, everyone would be above average therefore raising the bar and make it average again

AlexDown
10-21-2009, 10:19 AM
This thread is dumb.

http://www.mediabistro.com/agencyspy/original/Debbie_Downer.jpg

HawkeyeFan
10-21-2009, 10:19 AM

Yep, because Shonn Greene should have won it last year! :)

Halsey
10-21-2009, 10:50 AM

Neither. It's for the RB or QB with prettiest stats who plays for a highly ranked team.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
10-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Tom Brady would not be good and the league would collapse on itself like a supernova.

And yes Detroit would be unstoppable but our defense would still be junk with only Ernie Sims taken in the 1st round in the last 9 years.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-21-2009, 11:14 AM
But no one would ever stop your offense.

Harrington or Stafford slinging to:
Roy Williams
Charles Rogers
Mike Williams
Calvin Johnson

awfullyquiet
10-21-2009, 11:20 AM
I'd also say, Ryan Leaf would be the best quarterback of all time.

Drew Brees probably wouldn't have been drafted by the Bolts later on. Meaning he'd probably never end up on the Saints... Aaron Brooks STILL? Brees probably woulda sucked anyway... he is short after all... like doug flutie.

In 2004, Phillip Rivers would probably have landed in the PGH (instead of picking ben) or New Orleans (instead of picking will smith), maybe even the Bills (instead of picking ... Man. Imagine Rivers on the Bills... Lee Evans might have been the Next Andre Reed... but hey, it'd be funny if Rivers was on the Saints instead of Brees.

LOLSKI.

Raider_fan_Canada
10-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Jamarcus Russell would be John Elway, Darren McFadden the second coming of Adrian Peterson, Darius Heyward-Bey as good as Randy Moss, Michael Huff as good as Ed Reed, to name a few.

Jesus Christ how wrong my Raiders have been these last couple years....

SuperMcGee
10-21-2009, 02:00 PM
I'd also say, Ryan Leaf would be the best quarterback of all time.

Drew Brees probably wouldn't have been drafted by the Bolts later on. Meaning he'd probably never end up on the Saints... Aaron Brooks STILL? Brees probably woulda sucked anyway... he is short after all... like doug flutie.

In 2004, Phillip Rivers would probably have landed in the PGH (instead of picking ben) or New Orleans (instead of picking will smith), maybe even the Bills (instead of picking ... Man. Imagine Rivers on the Bills... Lee Evans might have been the Next Andre Reed... but hey, it'd be funny if Rivers was on the Saints instead of Brees.

LOLSKI.

We took Evans with the pick with which we'd be theoretically taking Rivers.

It was gutwrenching for me wanting Roethlisberger so bad that year while knowing he wouldn't get past Pittsburgh.

diabsoule
10-21-2009, 02:21 PM
The Saints would have All World DT Jonathan Sullivan beasting along the D-Line.

awfullyquiet
10-21-2009, 02:31 PM
We took Evans with the pick with which we'd be theoretically taking Rivers.

It was gutwrenching for me wanting Roethlisberger so bad that year while knowing he wouldn't get past Pittsburgh.

MY BAD.

for some reason, while I was looking at the list, I just casually skipped over the bills and then went back in my brain and had an awesome conceptual backstory.

brat316
10-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Who would have the best team in the league?

Busts would be the exceptions (only 4 or 5 in the first round, etc.,), later round picks would hardly yield sleepers (i know they're scarce as it is, but my point...)

Workout warriors would of course be forces of nature, Ryan Leaf would still be playing, on and on.

Still, consider coaching, owners, and the like.

What do you mean by that? You saying the bust stay bust, in that case the Lion still would suck.

Then thing taht would change would be the first round guys who didn't turn into superstars, and are average/starters right now, would then be amazing.

And its hard to determine a bust then. Like take for instance Tedd Ginn, would most people lable him as a bust yes, because he didn't live up to his draft stock or pick. But he currently is a starter and is capable/average or above average WR. So now where do we draw the line, is he in the bust pile or is he going to be that superstar.

Shiver
10-21-2009, 02:44 PM
This contest is easy: the Raiders have taken so many colossal busts in recent years it isn't funny anymore, now I just have pity on their fans. What a loyal group that is, I'm not sure I could handle that man.

aNYtitan
10-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Vince Young = win a game every time out.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-21-2009, 10:28 PM
Oh **** I just thought about Reggie Bush.

http://www.agent-seo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/seo-head-explosion.JPG

Crickett
10-21-2009, 11:04 PM
The Jets defensive line would be unstoppable. DeWayne Robertson, Kris Jenkins, Vernon Gholston, Shaun Ellis and Bryan Thomas would be the second coming of the New York Sack Exchange.

The Lions would have the best WR corps of all time. And I wouldn't even need to let Taylor Swift finish.

Charles Rogers would be a deep threat touchdown machine and a slightly shorter Randy Moss. Calvin Johnson would be the undisputed best WR in the league and Mike Williams would never drop a pass thrown his way. They'd be so good, it wouldn't matter who the QB was. But with Stafford at QB, they'd have at least three 50+ yard touchdown passes per game. There just wouldn't be a way to stop Calvin Johnson and Charles Rogers at the same time. Short passing game, intermediate or deep passing game, the Lions would be money every time Stafford dropped back to pass.

The 49ers never would have had to draft Michael Crabtree? Why bother to take a WR tenth when you have Antonio Gates' separated at birth clone (Vernon Davis)?

The Green Bay Packers would never have an incomplete pass. For Jordy Nelson catches all passes the QB throws. No matter what direction they're thrown. Rodgers could be pressured and throw it into the third row, Jordy would come down with it in bounds.

Every punt kicked by Dustin Colquitt would end up on the opponents 1 yard line.

Mike Nugent would make sure the Jets/Bucs had at least three points every time they got into opposing team territory and didn't turn the ball over.

The Raiders would make the playoffs every year thanks to the team's sheer speed. Other than maybe Detroit, no WR group would ever be able to get any kind of separation against cornerbacks Barry Allen and Wally West and safeties Pietro Maximoff and Jay Garrick.

If they lived up to the hype.

senormysterioso
10-21-2009, 11:13 PM
I think the Raiders would be the most unstoppable force pro football has ever seen:

Robert Gallery would single handedly pancake all 11 defenders
DHB would run an 80 yard go route in 6 seconds
Jamarcus Russell would hit him on the fly everytime

Michael Huff would get an interception on the ensuing possession
and on the off chance that he didn't return it for a touchdown:

Darren McFadden would score from wherever they are on the field

and

Sebastion Janikowski would kick 80+ yard field goals just for fun every now and then