PDA

View Full Version : The Next "DCFL" or similar league

neko4
10-21-2009, 04:13 PM
Im pretty sure that we will one day have another league so I posted some suggestions for whoever does it next.
Considerations for the next league:
*Maybe the game summaries shouldnt be as long and descriptive. It can be mentally draining for people to come up with creative game descriptions every week.
*"Real time" scoring
*Smaller League
*Shorter schedule, we can always buildup
*Maybe we should do college. that way people get new players every 3-4 years. The commish of the league could do like a pro career right up for the player after he graduates and we could make it a little competition for us to see who ends up having the best pro player. the college version would take away the draft and FA and trades, but we could make up a "recruit draft." Also player's could have to take an exam once every season to maintain eligibily. if they dont pass they can transfer, or if they dont like the school they can transfer. Plus coaches could hit the recruiting trail, and top prospects could go to the draft.

These are suggestions based on things ive noticed throughout the different leagues we've had. We often enjoy the offseason much more than the regular season because we can make trades and draft and stuff.

Also Ive thought up some ideas to make the new leagues a little different (atleast as far as the theme goes):

*College: Changes the whole offseason concept. Instead of drafting there is recruiting. Players could have more things to do too. Choose a "major" and then take a final exam for it. If they pass they can stay at that school. If not, they get kicked out and have to transfer. Transfers could also happen for other reasons. Coaches could lobby the school for more money and stuff.

*Indoor League: We've never had an indoor league, but it could be a nice thing to try. Only real changes though would come in the stats and on the roster size.

*Defunct Pro Leagues: We could go back and time and try to recreate a now defunct pro league (AAFC, or one of the various AFL's). This could change a few things. First we could rewind the clock to the 20's, 30's, 40's, etc. Historical greats could be added to the draft and historical teams that are still existing or are defunct could be used.

*International League: Im sure its been tried before, but it would be cool to have Japanese, German, Canadian, and American players in one league playing in many different world cities. Not much real change though.

*Historical Figures League: All the players would have to be historical figures. Attributes and skill set would have to be similar to what they are known for. Example: George Washington could be a great QB because of his size and leadership. Genghis Khan might be a great runningback because his gold hordes swept through Asia. Also the team names could be allusions to history.

*Celebs/Other Sports Figures League: Similar to the above, just uses Celebs/Other sports figures. Maybe Lil Wayne at CB? Lebron at TE? Michelle Kwan at Nose tackle?

anyway I was just looking for some feedback.

Gay Ork Wang
10-21-2009, 05:48 PM
i dont think jbond will ever allow another one

SuperKevin
10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
Interesting little wrinkle

neko4
10-21-2009, 07:31 PM
i dont think jbond will ever allow another one

Hm, probbaly not. Which is why the next one must be small so it wont need its own section in the fantasy forum

Brothgar
10-22-2009, 11:01 AM
I was thinking of making it half Maddenized.

jackalope
10-23-2009, 05:09 PM
The less is more with these. 12 game schedule, 8 teams, don't spend time on non-user players (filler roster players are irrelevant, focus on the user players), and quick write-ups to keep things moving. I wouldn't try to overcomplicate things with college or something like that. Also, give players the option to begin as a veteran FA or enter the draft as a rookie (any future season entries would be rookies).

vikes_28
10-23-2009, 07:23 PM
I don't think doing one of these is worth the time and effort. Scotty said DCFL wasn't going to fail, but it failed. It failed miserably. It was fun for the first couple of weeks when we were doing the draft and trades and what not. I don't think people will participate in this one, due to others failures.

neko4
10-24-2009, 03:13 PM
I don't think doing one of these is worth the time and effort. Scotty said DCFL wasn't going to fail, but it failed. It failed miserably. It was fun for the first couple of weeks when we were doing the draft and trades and what not. I don't think people will participate in this one, due to others failures.
Well im not proposing starting a new one yet. I may. I think the next one has to be small like jackalope said and like what Man Of Steel's was like.